Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 758222 times)

ramanaduli

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #3615 on: January 13, 2014, 10:50:46 AM »
Dear Anil ji,

Yes. It is true. Puranas say, siva stood as a fire pillar where Bhrama and Vishnu could not find the beginning and ending. After the fire pillar settled into Bhagavan's eyes which burn the agnana. Those who got burned their agnana sitting infront of Him were fortunates.
The same eyes burn even today, if you look into His eyes. It is Siva's fire pillar only everlasting one.

Ramanaduli

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3616 on: January 13, 2014, 01:15:42 PM »
Quote from Sri Ramanaduli:
“After the fire pillar settled into Bhagavan's eyes which burn the agnana. Those who got burned their agnana sitting in front of Him were fortunate.
The same eyes burn even today, if you look into His eyes. It is Siva's fire pillar only everlasting one.”

Dear Sri Ramanaduli,

Yes, this indeed is a beautiful explanation and insight. “THE  FIRE  PILLAR  SETTLED  INTO  SRI  BHAGWAN’S  EYES  WHICH  BURN  THE  AJNANA.”  This is undoubtedly cent percent true. Lord Arunachala is the JNANAGNI, the Fire of Knowledge. He Himself incarnated as the Sad Guru, Bhagwan Sri Ramana. This is akin to saying what you so beautifully said: He settled into Sri Bhagwan’s Eyes to burn the ajnana of His devotees.

Dear Sri Ramanaduli, it is well known among His devotees that Sri Bhagwan’s Gaze had the Power to destroy the ajnana of His devotees while He was embodied, that is, before His Maha Samadhi. When a French officer came to Sri Bhagwan with a list of questions and concluded that he wanted no intellectual explanation but only experience, Sri Bhagwan is said to have turned His Gaze upon the officer. Do you know what happened? The officer almost instantly burst out, “No, no, not now, not now……I will come later.” And those fortunate devotees who were ready glimpsed the Reality and remained soaked in the Bliss of their own Being in His Presence, and even realised the True Self.

However, I have always deeply felt that after His Maha Samadhi, the Power of His Gaze has only increased infinitely. And by Gaze, I do not mean only the Benign Gaze through His Photographs, but His Presence which is ever-present, and which I experience palpably, as if He is watching me keenly, preparing me to become food unto Him, here and now, with a solicitude unfathomable by jivas. 

Therefore, yes, It is Lord Arunachal Siva’s Fire Pillar only, EVER-LASTING  ONE. ONLY THING IS THAT WE NEED TO BE READY, YES, TO BECOME FOOD UNTO HIM.

Thanks very much, dear Sri Ramanaduli.
Pranam,
  Anil 

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3617 on: January 13, 2014, 06:42:27 PM »
Dear Sri Anil,

Yes,so beautifully said,with beautiful words of Great Ones. Indeed,what is there but Him,and what we are if not Him. There is nothing but God,nothing but That. Sure,that 'we',is not the persons we,but That,which i will never know. And even that is not quite true. All "i know,is actually only Him,and nothing else...
The more i think about it,more is see that Reality is something so beautiful ,so powerful,so Great,that it is a ever mystery...

And such is the power of Sri Bhagavan's presence. He is indeed only Existence,like You said.

Thank You so much,my dear friend,for wonderful poem of Sri Bhagavan!!!

With love and prayers,

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3618 on: January 14, 2014, 09:19:37 AM »
Dear Sri Jewell,

Sri V. Ganesan has written thus:
“All that Bhagwan demands of us is: “Love yourself! Know yourself! Be yourself!”. How can this be difficult?
When Bhagwan Sri Ramana assures that Self-enquiry is the easiest, He also subtly left us a clue there. His reassurance too is there that we are not alone in this endeavour, but that His Grace is always there to guide us. When His Grace has brought us to His Lotus Feet, will He not help us to attain the most noble and worthy achievement, that of success in Self-enquiry?”

Dear friend, Sri Jewell, I also have deep faith in Sri Bhagwan’s Grace, and like Sri Ganesan, feel that it is not for nothing that His Grace brought us to His Lotus Feet.  AND  NOW  THAT  HIS  GRACE  HAS  BROUGHT  US  TO  HIS  LOTUS  FEET,  HE WILL,  BEYOND  DOUBT,  GRACE  US  TO  ATTAIN  THE  MOST  NOBLE  AND  WORTHY  ACHIEVEMENT  ALSO,  THAT  IS,  SUCCESS  IN  SELF-ENQUIRY.  Sri Bhagwan Himself has assured that once one has fallen into the Guru’s Net of Grace cannot escape.  Has He not? Therefore, why fear, why doubt, why worry, when the Grace, that is, ‘I Am’ is ever standing here and now?

Sri Ganesan writes elsewhere thus:
Bhagwan Sri Ramana has opened a path to wake us all up to this Truth of Inner Felicity which is going to reverberate through the entire world. THIS  PATH  WILL  STAND  THE  TEST  OF  TIME,  LOGICAL  ANALYSIS   AND  CLINICAL-PRACTICAL  APPLICATION.  Seekers of Truth will hold on to it and thus keep the torch of Truth burning for all time to come.  Anyone can follow this silent, inward path of Sri Ramana wherever they may be and in whatever walk of life they may be placed, not carried away by the challenges of complex environment nor depending on them. Thus, this path of introspective Self-enquiry is an ever open path and anyone can tread it. It is simple, direct and rationally supported by intuition and utterly free from an outward influence, be it religion or dogma. This path, therefore, is meant for practical businessman, office-goers and factory workers, or professional men, no less than for those who are monastic and ready to renounce the world. What makes Maharshi’s method unique is that is based on intuition checked by reason, also, this pure reasoning is employed in the enquiry into the Self only by illumined intuition.   

Dear friend, Sri Jewell, in the above paragraph, the insight that the ‘pure reason’ is employed in the Enquiry into the Self, by the illumined intuition, in my view, is very beautiful.

Thanks very much, dear friend, Sri Jewell.
Pranam,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3619 on: January 14, 2014, 12:19:56 PM »
Dear Devotees,

Sri Bhagwan has taught that the real Self-enquiry begins when one is able to cling to one’s Self and is already off the mental movement or the thought waves and that it is an inner quest. Therefore, in the initial stages, when one sits for Enquiry and battles to hold or attend to the ‘I’-feeling, thoughts rise in hordes and attention wanders to second and third person thoughts and objects. Hence, Sri Bhagwan taught to come back to the inner ‘I’-feeling by asking, ‘To whom are all these thoughts?’, ‘To me?’ and ‘Who am I?’ Therefore, this is merely a contrivance to revert back to the awareness of ‘I’-feeling as soon as one becomes aware that one’s attention has wandered. In the early stages it is therefore essential to keep on transferring the attention from the thought to the thinker as and when it arises. Gradually, one is able to continuously attend to ‘I’-feeling and thus maintain the subjective awareness of ‘I’ effortlessly.     

Moreover, in the beginning, even the attention to the ‘I’-feeling is mental, that is, by way of a thought. This feeling or perception of ‘I’, in the early stages of the Enquiry is often associated with a form, that is, the body.  But as one perseveres on the Path of Enquiry, the ‘I’-thought which invariably associates itself with a form, gradually gives way to a subjective awareness of ‘I’. At this stage of practice, mental movement slows down and there are lesser and lesser thoughts. When one further concentrates on this awareness of ‘I’ and goes deeper, seeking one’s Source, ‘I’-thought is effectively isolated. As Sri Bhagwan has taught, ‘I’-thought cannot survive without a form, and if it is thus effectively isolated through the Enquiry and it does no longer connect and identify with forms, thoughts, or objects, it  is bound to disappear, and with it disappears the sense of individuality.  What remains is mere Be-ing, pure and simple ‘I am’, thus loosing the adjunct ‘so and so’ on the way from the ‘I am so and so’. The real Self-enquiry however has begun and one begins to have the foretaste of the Bliss of one’s own being, albeit temporarily. The experience becomes stable with the repeated practice and in due course one is effortlessly aware of one’s being. But nevertheless, the ‘I’-thought is certain to keep periodically reasserting itself so long as the vasanas or the mental tendencies are not weakened and destroyed by the abidance in this state, that is, in the state of effortless awareness of one’s being, the True ‘I’.  Sri Bhagwan has revealed that when one reaches this stage, residual vasanas are destroyed by the Power of the Self so completely that ‘I’-thought or the ego finally merges or is resolved in the Source, that is, the Self, and never rises again. This is the final and irreversible state of the Self-realisation Sri Bhagwan speaks of. 

Summary in Sri Bhagwan’s own Words: The state of non-emergence of ‘I’ is the state of Pure Being, Pure Awareness. This can be achieved only through enquiring ‘Who am I?’ Just as a man would dive in order to get something that has fallen in water, so one would dive into oneself with a keen one-pointedness and find the place where the ‘I’ originates. The only enquiry leading to Self-knowledge is seeking the source of the feeling ‘I’. If one enquires ‘Who am I?’ within, the individual ‘I’, the limited ‘I’, falls down abashed as soon as one reaches the Heart. Immediately Reality manifests itself spontaneously as ‘I’, ‘I’. Although it reveals itself as ‘I’, it is not the limited ‘I’ known to us, but the Perfect Being, the Eternal ‘I’, the Divine Essence in us. THE  SELF, THE  TRUTH  THAT  YOU  SEEK  TO   KNOW  IS  THUS  VERILY  YOURSELF.   

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil 
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 12:29:03 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3620 on: January 14, 2014, 01:25:47 PM »
Ek Kahun To Hai Nahin, Do Kahun To Gaari
Hai Jaisa Taisa Rahe, Kahe Kabir Bichari

Translation:
If I say one, It is not; If I say two, it will be a violation
Let 'It' be as 'It' Is, so says Kabir contemplating.

Meaning:
There is a oneness behind the apparent diversity. But oneness is not seen. Yet if I accept duality, it would be a violation, a false acceptance. Let it be, whatever it is - I'll drop the analyzing.

Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3621 on: January 14, 2014, 01:40:06 PM »
                                                              Playthings

Child, how happy you are sitting in the dust, playing with a broken twig all the morning.
I smile at your play with that little bit of a broken twig.
I am busy with my accounts, adding up figures by the hour.
Perhaps you glance at me and think, "What a stupid game to spoil your morning with!"
Child, I have forgotten the art of being absorbed in sticks and mud-pies.
I seek out costly playthings, and gather lumps of gold and silver.
With whatever you find you create your glad games, I spend both my time and my strength over things I never can obtain.
In my frail canoe I struggle to cross the sea of desire, and forget that I too am playing a game.
Sri Rabindranath Tagore

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3622 on: January 14, 2014, 02:04:05 PM »
To the Maharshi

Who am I ?
Whence am I ?
I must know
Ere I die
Oh! Ramana !

In deep Silence
stilled
You will find
the reply
In deep Silence
stilled
Find in your heart
'Who am I ?'

By Lt. Col. Sri Ottar Singh

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3623 on: January 15, 2014, 09:20:22 AM »
Sri V. Ganesan:

“Sri Ramana has categorically emphasised in the poem supreme, Atma Vidya: “Self-enquiry is the easiest of all paths.” Let us see why Bhagwan has said ‘easiest’. What do the terms ‘easy’ and ‘difficult’ mean? In the words of Sri Sadhu Om: “What we do not like, what we cannot do and what we do not know, we call ‘difficult’, whereas what we already like, what we have already done and what we already know, we call ‘easy’”. That is, if something is within our power of loving, our power of doing and our power of knowing we feel it to be easy; but, if it is not within our power of loving, doing or knowing, we feel it to be ‘difficult’. With this simple definition let us see whether Self-enquiry is easy or difficult. Is there anyone who can say that he does not love himself? No, among all the things we hold dear, it is our self that we love most. Is there anyone who can say that he does not know himself? No, because before we know any other thing, we must first know our self; when we say ‘I know so-and-so’ does it not prove that we know the feeling ‘I’? And is there anyone who can say that he is not able to remove all his adjuncts such as the body and mind, and to abide as himself? No, because every day in deep sleep, we effortlessly and naturally remove these adjuncts and remain in out true nature. Thus, it is clear that we all love our Self, we all know our Self, and we are all able to abide as our Self. In other words, the ichha-sakti (power of love), kriya-sakti (power of doing) and jnana-sakti (power of knowing) necessary for Self-enquiry are already inherent in us ! Therefore, Self-enquiry is ‘easiest’”.

Dear Devotees,

Not for nothing it is said that even gods cherish the human birth, for human beings alone are endowed with inherent abilities to pursue Self-enquiry and realise the Self, as Sri Ganesan explained so beautifully. It is a different matter that even a few animals and birds were the recipient of Grace from the Hercules among the Jnanis that Bhagwan Sri Ramana is. But then, this is the exception rather than the rule.  However, Sri Bhagwan has said that a man is not better than an animal, if not realised, and is possibly worse.  Having said this, I wish to submit as follows:

We must understand how Self-knowledge is easiest, for Sri Bhagwan Himself has taught that it is easiest.  We must understand for once and all that all the problems, baffling questions and riddles are raised, reared and fattened by the mind. And Self-knowledge is impossible in this state of the mind for the simple reason that the gross mind is obstructing It. Where there is the mind, THAT cannot be known, and where That alone Is, there is no mind. ‘NO  MIND’  ALONE  THEREFORE  MEANS  ‘TO  BE’.  So, mind will keep asserting that it is difficult or even impossible, which it certainly is, for the mind!

Mind is only a bundle of thoughts. It follows that If there is no thought, there is no mind. And herein lies the greatness of Sri Bhagwan’s Teaching. For, if we conduct the Enquiry in the right manner, even in the early stages, and ask ‘Who am I?’ and concentrate on the subjective awareness of ‘I’, thoughts immediately stop, and when thoughts stop, THERE IS NO MIND.  We need no proof for this, for we can verify it right now by actual experience, while one is reading even this post. If we conduct the enquiry in the right manner, then and there one can experience that mind has become inoperative voluntarily, albeit temporarily. Silence alone prevails and that is the Silence of the Self. Problem is this that we immediately convert this state of ‘no mind’, into a thought or concept, and the experience is lost, for a thought then has arisen on the mental firmament and mind has become operative again. We need to experience It as the Reality which is the unchanging Core or Ground of our Existence.  THEREFORE,  EXPEREINCE,  AND  NOT  THINKING,  IS  THE  GREATEST  CLUE.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3624 on: January 15, 2014, 06:22:31 PM »
     RAMANA SAD-GURU

Hail, hail, Ramana Sad-Guru,
Royal Ramana Sad-Guru !
He whom the gods of heaven adore
Was born a babe in Tiruchuzhi
When Beauty did with Beauty blend
The formless One took human form.
Within a cave in Aruna Hill
Where Wisdom dwells He came to dwell.
He mastered maya and destroyed
The senses false alluring bonds
Devoid of karma's tricky coils.
Absorbed in Arunachala
My Guru the beloved One
He is the wish-fulfilling tree
In human form embodied Grace.
Gold-hued, He Lord Siva Himself
Of matted locks. He is the One
Whose Guru was none other
Than his own Absolute Self.
The elements five He pervades
Beyond the five-fold body. To such
As come for comfort to His Feet
He gives the Knowledge that ends grief.

Sri Satyamangalam  Venkataramana Iyer

Dear devotees, Sri Bhagwan used occasionally to join in the singing of the above song. When a devotee asked, Sri Bhagwan taught that Ramana Sad-Guru was not just His 6 feet long body.

Pranam,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3625 on: January 16, 2014, 09:32:10 AM »
Sri Arthur Osborne:

The silent meditation and the morning and evening chanting of the Vedas continue before the Samadhi of Bhagwan as they did in His bodily presence. Now as then, access is for all, whatever their caste or religion. The spiritual support that comes in sitting before the Samadhi is not only as strong but as sweet and subtle as it was before the bodily presence.

To all those who turn to Bhagwan in their hearts the response is even more immediate, the support  even more powerful. Not only that (for that is true wherever they may be) but the revitalisation that they used to derive from a visit to Tiruvannamalai still continues, even though the beloved face is hidden.

Devotees from the surrounding towns and from distant places still look forward to the possibility of a visit, as they did before. Seekers after Divine Grace and Guidance come as in the past. The shrine is the Centre whose potency is growing, not diminishing.  And many envy those who beheld the beauty of the bodily form.

Bhagwan always bade us seek the Inner Guru. The love that we bore to the outer Guru helped us to do so, and yet, in a way, it impeded. Now He has taken up His abode in our heart. More than ever, we have to discard our impurities in order to discover Him, the Self, the Essence of our Being; more than ever He assists us to do so.

He is the Sadguru who teaches in silence. Sri Dakshinamurthi (Sri Arunagiri Yogi) dwelt on the north slope of the sacred Arunachala Hill to give the potent silent upadesa to any who came, but the spot was inaccessible. Sri Ramana is Sri Dakshinamurthi. He has made accessible what was hidden, for now the Grace radiates from His Samadhi; the Direct Path that had been withdrawn has been brought back.

The body’s death has, perhaps, brought about one change. He always said: “Ask yourself, ‘Who am I?’ but He also said, “Submit to me and I will strike down the mind.” Now the quest of the Self in the heart and submission to Bhagwan in the heart have become the same. The fusion of Jnana and Bhakti has become more perfect.

“Who can ever find Thee? The eye of the eye art Thou, and without eyes Thou seest, Oh Arunachala!”

“From my home Thou didst entice me, then stealing into my heart, didst draw me gently into Thine. Such is Thy Grace , Oh Arunachala!”

“I have betrayed Thy secret workings. Be not offended! Show me Thy Grace now openly, Oh Arunachala!”

Pranam,
  Anil   

« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 09:37:16 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #3626 on: January 16, 2014, 10:07:38 AM »

:)

Warm regards
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3627 on: January 16, 2014, 05:46:57 PM »
Dear Sri Nagaraj Ji,

Thanks very much, dear Sri Nagaraj Ji. But where were you all these days? We missed your beautiful discernments and profound insights which helped all of us here make progress on the spiritual path. We, therefore, adore you as a devotee and a seeker, and look forward to reading and benefitting from your inspired posts containing intuitive knowledge and insights.

Pranam,
  Anil   
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 07:11:40 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3628 on: January 16, 2014, 07:09:27 PM »
Seeing oneself free of all attributes
Is to see the Lord,
For He shines ever as the pure Self.

To know the Self is but to be the Self
For It is non-dual.
In such knowledge
One abides as That.

That is true knowledge which transcends
Both knowledge and ignorance.
For in pure knowledge
Is no object to be known.

BHAGAVAN SRI RAMANA

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #3629 on: January 17, 2014, 08:11:25 AM »
Dear Sri Anil ji,

Thank you for the kind words, what can i say, it is just the process of life and some changes, i observe, apart from wanting some solitude myself. Also i do not have a regular access to computer like before. Life has been moving on, but the Self has just remained constant. What remains is just    विस्मय 'vismayam'

:)
   love and wishes,
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta