Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 755730 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #360 on: January 05, 2011, 07:50:32 AM »
  The essence of mind is only consciousness. When the ego, however, dominates it, it functions as the reasoning, thinking or sensing faculty. The cosmic mind being not limited by the ego, has nothing separate from itself and is therefore only aware. This is what the Bible means by " I am that I AM ".
 Talks, no. 188

Sri Bhagwan says that the cosmic mind, manifesting in some rare being, is able to effect the linkage in others of the individual mind with the universal mind of the inner recess. Such a rare being is called the GURU or God in manifestation.     

Dear devotees and seekers, we see that Sri Bhagwan says that the Cosmic Mind is only awareness " I Am " and is therefore verily the Self or Brahman ITSELF.
  Sri Bhagwan says ( Talks, no. 252 ) that the mind now sees itself as the diversified as the universe. If this diversity is not manifest it remains in its own essence, that is the Heart.
The Heart is the only Reality. The mind is only a transient phase.

Therefore, dear seekers, the peaceful mind is the Cosmic Mind which in truth is " I AM " or the Self. This Mind is indestructible. But Sri Bhagwan says that when one enquires, there is no mind.
( To continue in the next post )
       Thank you,
            Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #361 on: January 05, 2011, 08:42:34 AM »
  There is the peaceful mind which is the supreme. When the same becomes restless, it is afflicted by thoughts. Mind is only the dynamic power(sakti) of the Self.
There is no difference between matter and spirit. Modern science admits that all matter is energy. Energy is power or force (sakti). Therefore all are resolved in Siva and Sakti i.e. Siva and Sakti i.e. the Self and the Mind.

Talks, no. 268

When Sri Bhagwan says that there is no mind or emphasises the need for the ' manonasa' , He certainly refers to the transient mind afflicted by thoughts. Peaceful mind and the Self are the One and the same. Only when the same mind for some reason becomes restless or active, the energy inherent in it becomes perceptions, thoughts, sensations which are the world phenomena and the universe. This dyndmic Sakti or the Energy when pure is not distinpuishable from the Self. Sri Bhagwan is asking us to destroy the contamination of the mind by enquiry and not the Mind ITSELF whic is verily the Self. Self is the Cosmic Energy Itself. Siva Himself is the Sakti. Thank you. Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #362 on: January 05, 2011, 09:17:26 AM »
  Dear seekers, the Dynamic Power i.e. Mind i.e. Sakti is obviously indestructible. Rise of thoughts in it is only transient and can be done away with by practice. So, what is to be wiped out is the mind with thoughts. Who will wipe out the mind afflicted with thoughts ? The mind. The residue is still the mind.  Thus the mind wipes out the mind and yet remains mind.  I wipes out I and yet remains I. Thank you. Anil 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #363 on: January 05, 2011, 10:49:02 AM »

Dear Anil,

Yes Pure Mind or Suddha Manas, as it is called by Sri Bhagavan is only thoughtless mind.  Occasional  thoughts for food, nature calls
can arise.  But no thoughts accompanied by ego, I-thought is permitted to attain the Self.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #364 on: January 05, 2011, 11:17:59 AM »

Dear Anil,

Dead Mind or Mruta Manas is only the pure mind, without egoistic
thoughts.  It is like a burnt rope.  The burnt rope has got a form but
is of no use.

Muruganar speaks about dead mind in 6 places in Guru Vachaka Kovai.

1. Verse 1238:  The thought-free Sivam, whose very nature is Being-
Consciousness, is known only by the heroic one whose mind has
died, and who, having a thought-free mind, abides in mind's Source through being consciousness.  It is not known by those whose mids are associated with thoughts.

2. Verse 1106:  The pure mind of the Jnani, which exists and shines
as the witness, is a mirror that reflects even the impure thoughts
that arise in his presence, in those whose minds, are completely
warped.  Thus, he mystifies the minds of others in his presence by giving the impression that he is a deluded person.

3. Talks No. 204 quoted after Verse 1037:

Bhagavan:  ....Therefore we say that the Self-realized sage knows by his mind, but his mind is pure.  Again we say that the vibrating mind is impure and the placid mind is pure.  The pure mind is itself Brahman.  Therefore it follows that  Brahman is not other than the mind of the sage.

4. Verse 842:  When you are separated from the Self-state, the
thought that associates with you as 'my mind' and 'your mind'
is itself the binding entanglement.  You should know that the pure mind is only one, existing ever as the same, as it is, as the chit-
sakti [the power of consciousness] that remains merged non dually with the supreme Self, which is he extremely clear and pure being.

5. Verse 382:  Supreme Jnanis who do not see any bondage other than the mental movement [chitta vrittis] that arise in profusion
also do not see any liberation of other than a mind in which all chitta vrittis have died without leaving any trace.  This is their
verdict on bondage and liberation.

6. Verse 48:  This world, an infatuating throng of triputis, bewilders
the minds of people into believing that it has an independent existence distinct from Swarupa.  However, it is all only in the play of the power of consciousness, that not existing apart from that supreme, non-dual Swarupa, always remains one with it.

[Tr. David Godman]   

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #365 on: January 06, 2011, 08:57:24 AM »
  Dear Sir, Sri Bhagwan says in Talks, no. 204 that vibrating mind is impure and the placid mind is pure and that the pure mind is itself Brahman.
From this statment it is settled that Pure Mind is indistinguishable and inseparable from the Self or Brahman.
  Any vibration implies energy. Therefore, sir, when the Mind for some reason becomes restless, It starts vibrating due to energy inherent and  activity such as thinking, seeing, the world phenomena etc. are the results.
  Pure Mind is one. How beutifully the great poet , the great devotee and Self-Realized Sri Murugnar has conveyed this truth in Verse 842 of GVK ! " When the mind shines as it is, ( that is, as ) the power of the clear Supreme Self Consciousness, it is surely only one. Know thus. " Thank you so much. Regards. Anil   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #366 on: January 06, 2011, 09:39:02 AM »

Yes.  Sri Bhagavan also says in Who am I?:-

Answer to Question No. 8 of M. Sivaprakasam Pillai:-

What is called 'mind' is a wondrous power RESIDING IN THE SELF.
It causes all thoughts to arise.  Apart from thoughts,  there is no such thing as mind.  Therefore, the thought is the nature of mind.  Apart from thoughts, there is no independent entity called the world.... The mind always exists only in dependence of something gross.  It cannot stay alone.  It is the mind that is called the subtle body [sukshma sarira] or the soul [jiva].

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #367 on: January 06, 2011, 10:25:18 AM »
  Dear Sir, why is Sri Arunachala  called ' Ardh Narishawar' ? Regards. Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #368 on: January 06, 2011, 05:21:18 PM »
  Sri Bhagwan says in ' Who Am I ? ' that the world is Shiv-Swarupa. If everything is Shiva-Swarupa, can my or your swarupa be any different from the Swarupa. No way. That my swarupa is  this block of a body is, in fact, fantasy or in imagination only however real and solid they might appear deceptively.

Mind ( Pure Mind ) is One with the Self.

Maya is One with the Brahman.

Sakti is One with Shiva.

Mother is One with Father. 

Only One is. The Nature of  the One is Pure Consciousness, Pure Knowledge.

In essence, we all are That.

Thank you.
           Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #369 on: January 07, 2011, 07:00:12 AM »
  Only Self is. Its nature is Existence, Consciousness and Bliss. There is no mind. Mind is surmised because even 'witnessing' is the function of the mind. Therefore, Sri Bhagwan says as a concession Sudha Manas is admitted by the sages. Thank you. Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #370 on: January 07, 2011, 07:47:29 AM »
  For even 'witnessing' is the function of 'abhasa' or the reflection, Sri Bhagwan says that satvic mind is admitted by the sages as a concession to argument.

Satvic mind is surmised of the jivanmukta and of Iswara. " Otherwise", they argue, " how does the jivanmukta live and act ? "  The satvic mind has to be admitted as a concession to argument. The satvic mind is in fact the Absolute Consciousness. The object to be witnessed and the witness finally merge together and Absolute Consciousness alone reins supreme.
    Talks, no. 68

Dear seekers, Sri Bhagwan says it is not a state of sunya (blank). It is the Swarupa. OUR REAL SELF. Thank you. Anil 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #371 on: January 07, 2011, 09:29:24 AM »

Dear Anil,

After closing Siva's eyes, [as a sport] and when the entire universe
plunged into darkness, Uma regretted her action and want to do tapas for her mistake.  She went to Kanchipuram and did long tapas, staying amidst fire during summer and staying in a cool pond, during winter. Siva told her to go to Tiruvannamalai.  She went there and continued her tapas staying in the Ashram of Gautama Maharshi, in a place called Ner Annamalai in the giri valam route.  This is from where one can see the summit of the Hill.

Siva appeared before her and she wanted to stay for ever on the left side of Siva's body.  This wish was granted.  She became the left half of Siva, Arunachaleswara.  Since now the couple has become concorporate, that is, half man and half woman, Siva is called
Ardha Nari [half woman]. 

Saint Manikkavachagar says in Tiruvachakam:

Pagam PeN uru aanai potRi.

Salutations to One who is half woman.

Arunachala Siva.     

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #372 on: January 07, 2011, 02:54:09 PM »
 Dear Sir, Thank you so much for narrating in brief why Sri Arunachala is called ' Ardh Narishwar'. When I had been in Sri Ramanasramam in 2008 with my wife and daughter, Sri Vishnu ji, the Priest in the Asramam, told my wife that Sri Arunachala is the Ardh Narishwar. Now that you have come here , do not worry.
I had read that the Mother became One with Sri Arunachala after performing great Tapas  in Tiruvannamalai. But I to know in detail the sequence of events that led to Her separation from the Father, Her doing great Tapas in Tiruvannamalai and eventually Her merging and becoming One with Father.

Dear Sir, I wish to know whether It was Lord Shiva Himself who advised the Mother to perform Tapas in Tiruvannamalai as you have mentioned or it was Sri Gautam Rishi as I remember having read.

My wife says that that one Peak (eastern) of Sri Arunachala is called Unnamalai named after the Mother Uma. Is this true ? Is Sri Gautam Rishi's Ashram still in existence ? Regards. Anil     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #373 on: January 07, 2011, 03:14:33 PM »

Dear Anil,

When Uma offered to do tapas, for the mistake she had committed,
Siva only advised her to go to Kanchipuram.  Kanchi Puram is one
of the 7-moksha puris, the places where liberation is easy to attain.
It is the only place in South India, as one of the moksha puris.  The list does not contain Tiruvannmalai, because in case of Tiruvannamlai,
it is enough to remember it constantly to attain moksha.

After doing virulent tapas in Kanchipuram, Mother wanted to go to
Tiruvannamalai, on her own.  There Gautama Maharshi, who knew by his jnana that Mother was coming, asked her to stay in his Ashram for penance. He made suitable arrangements.

Today, Gautama Maharshi's Ashram is not there in its original form.  But there is a temple for Mother in the girivalam route, and from here, she did penance looking at the summit of the Hill.  The place is called Ner Annamalai, somewhere about 5 kms from the start of the giri valam route.  From here, Mother saw Siva and asked for his boons and she wanted to be concorporate with Him on His left side.   

Gautama  Maharshi was one who is said to have lived in Tiruvannamalai with continuous prayers and meditation to Arunachala.  Sri Bhagavan says in Sri AAMM, Verse 26:

"Great Hill of compassion praised by Sage Gautama, glance on me
with grace and govern me, O Arunachala!

Arunachala Siva.       

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #374 on: January 07, 2011, 06:08:59 PM »
  Ji, yes, thank you so much, sir. Is there a Peak named after the Mother, perhaps Unnamalai, located in the eastern side of Sri Arunachala ? Regards. Anil