Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 758848 times)

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #3585 on: December 14, 2013, 02:21:22 AM »

Have you not heard his silent steps?
He comes, comes, ever comes.

Every moment and every age, every day and every night
he comes, comes, ever comes.

Many a song have I sung in many a mood of mind,
but all their notes have always proclaimed,
'He comes, comes, ever comes.'

In the fragrant days of sunny April through the forest path

In the rainy gloom of July nights on the thundering chariot of clouds

In sorrow after sorrow it is his steps that press upon my heart,
and it is the golden touch of his feet that makes my joy to shine. 

Rabindranath Tagore

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3586 on: December 14, 2013, 09:11:43 AM »
Quote from Sri Jewell:
“That is enough for me to see that there is no any distance between us. We are One, all is Him. Every single thing is breathing only His Name.”

Dear Sri Jewell,

Dawn of this knowledge, this understanding, of Unity, of Oneness, is due to His Grace. Yes, Distance does not exist. Existence alone Is in which there is no room for the existence of an ‘other’. Therefore, truth is ‘I am you’ and ‘You are I’, and this is the Love, non-dual and pure, Sri Bhagwan speaks of. 

My dear friend, Sri Jewell, the Honourable President of Sri Ramanasramam has graciously allowed me to visit Sri Bhagwan’s Shrine and Sri Arunachala on the 23rd of this month and stay in the Ashram. Hence, I am undertaking a 16 days tour to South India which commences from the 19th of this month. I like to travel by train particularly when I am on my way to my Father's, Sri Bhagwan’s Abode. Two-days train journey is a great opportunity for me to uninterruptedly contemplate, meditate and do enquiry, to my heart’s contentment. This again is due to His Grace alone. This will be my seventh visit to Sri Ramanasrammam. I shall reach Bangalore on the 21st. I wish to reach the Ashram on the 23rd before noon. I shall return from the Ashram to Bangalore on either 27th or 28th   of the current month. I shall stay in Bangalore for a few days with my relatives and return to Patna on the 5th January, 20014. Although I shall carry a lap-top with me, I do not wish to engage myself much in writing or discussion during the travel and stay in the Ashram. I hope to resume writing and responding in this or any other thread only after I return from the August Visit to My God, Father, Mother and Guru’s Abode where He is more accessible to me than anywhere else. However, I wish to post a few more posts before I embark on much cherished journey and board the Sahghmitra Express on the 19th.

Thanks very much, my dear, dear friend, Sri Jewell.
Pranam,
  Anil             

« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 09:25:51 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3587 on: December 14, 2013, 12:22:53 PM »
Dear Devotees,

Thus, Sri Muruganar says, through V. 656, GVK, that Sri Bhagwan disproves the saying that the Reality has no form.   There is only the Self, our own Self, the true nature of which is like the all-pervading nature of space, and therefore since the Guru and God are none other than our own Real Self, all-pervading nature of the Guru is verily the form of the Reality. Selves do not exist. They are mere reflections or shadows of the One Supreme Self.

Hence, what is here to grieve for? We must learn to laugh away our cares and anxieties and do away with our blues, and learn to laugh at ourselves too. Should we not?

Dear devotees, from above follows the profound question which we must ask ourselves intensely enough:  DOES   THE  SPACE  OR  THE  SKY  HAVE  ANY  PROBLEM?  Does the Amber (sky) grieve and bemoan for the fallen stars?

Love or Bliss is but the Self’s Awareness Itself. Therefore, we must become Self-aware first through proper sadhana and then see if there is any sorrow at all, if there is any cause to grieve and bemoan for, as Sri Bhagwan has taught.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil

« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 07:06:58 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3588 on: December 14, 2013, 12:40:50 PM »
Annamalai, the Transcendental One,
That is the EYE  behind the eye of the mind,
Which eye and other senses cognise,
Which in their turn illuminate the Sky,
And all the other elements as well,
That is again the Spirit-sky in which
The mind-sky doth appear, that shines within
The Heart which is of every thought quite free,
And with gaze fixed within remains as That;
Annamalai, the Self-effulgent shines.
But Grace is needed most. So faithful be
Unto the Self and Bliss will then result.
Bhagwan Sri Ramana, Centenary Souvenir

Mind-sky therefore is only an appearance in the Spirit-sky. 

Pranam,
  Anil

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #3589 on: December 14, 2013, 10:32:39 PM »
Dear Sri Anil,

I am sooooooo happy to hear You are going to our Father! How wonderful!!!
And how You described Your trip,i believe it will be very exciting and beautiful. I am sure You will have greatest time there,my dear friend.

Hurray!!! :)

I wish You beautiful and peaceful time,and pleasant and safe journey!

Here is one song in that name.

In morning's small hours we came to adore
Those golden lotuses, your feet: why?
Born are we in the cowherd caste
But you must take us in your own employ.
Not only for today do we seek your drum
But for ever and ever, seven times seven births!
Would be one with you, work only for you —
Change all our other wishes, Lord!

Andal 

Thank You very much dear Sri Anil,dear friend!

With love and prayers,

Krishnan

• View Profile
« Reply #3590 on: December 14, 2013, 10:34:52 PM »
Om Namo Bhagavate Sri Ramanaya

Dear devotees,

Could you kindly shed some light on Manolaya and how to go beyond it? During meditation I am able to experience blankness of the mind. Although Bhagavan asks to pursue further as to whom this state appears, any further exposition will be appreciated.

Namaskarams,
Krishnan

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #3591 on: December 14, 2013, 11:51:06 PM »
Dear Sri Krishnan,

Yes,like You said,Bhagavan said that we must furder inquire to whom is blackness,who is aware of it,when temporary absence of thoughts happens. When we are still there to perceive such blackness or all other happenings,that means inquirer is still there.

For me personally,whenever such things occurs,it is best to continue with practice like usually. Not allowing mind to persuade me i already "arrived". I remember always one quote of wisdom which goes:" When You think You are there,You aren't.". I learned not to trust any experience,no matter which like,or any state. I just know i shouldn't expect anything. Just following words of Guru and our own heart,without giving any conclusion,interpretation,or bothering am i there" or not. Whatever experience is there,it will pass. Knowing that silently,is great help for me.

So my advice would be,continue with Your practice sir,and be aware all states are of mind only.

With love and prayers,
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 11:57:48 PM by Jewell »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3592 on: December 15, 2013, 11:13:53 AM »
Quote from Sri Jewell:

“i believe it will be very exciting and beautiful. I am sure You will have greatest time there, my dear friend.

Hurray!!! 

I wish You beautiful and peaceful time, and pleasant and safe journey!”

Dear Sri Jewell,

Yes, thanks very much, dear friend, Sri Jewell. I am going where Hid Grace is taking me. I feel that I have been called and therefore I hope that these august Journeys to His Abode will make my surrender complete and therefore unquestioning. I shall attempt to narrate the details of my travel and experience, as far as possible, after I return to my place in Patna, on Jan 5.2014. 

My dear friend, Sri Jewell, the poem from the Gitanjali which you posted day before yesterday is very beautiful indeed! I do not remember how many times I have gone through it. Yes, I have also felt deeply that in sorrow after sorrow, it is His steps that press upon my heart and His Golden Touch of His Feet makes my joy to shine. My goodness! What a poem! 

Quote:
“Have you not heard his silent steps?
He comes, comes, ever comes.
……………………………………………………
In sorrow after sorrow it is his steps that press upon my heart,
and it is the golden touch of his feet that makes my joy to shine.

Sri Rabindranath Tagore”

Dear friend, Sri Jewell, notwithstanding the above beautiful song of Sri Tagore, before departure to His Holy Abode, the following Poem of Sri Tagore inspires me greatly.

Purity
Life of my life, I shall ever try to keep my body pure, knowing
that thy living touch is upon all my limbs.

I shall ever try to keep all untruths out from my thoughts, knowing
that thou art that truth which has kindled the light of reason in my mind.

I shall ever try to drive all evils away from my heart and keep my
love in flower, knowing that thou hast thy seat in the inmost shrine of my heart.

And it shall be my endeavour to reveal thee in my actions, knowing it
is thy power gives me strength to act.
Sri Rabindranath Tagore

Thanks again my dear, dear, friend, Sri Jewell.
Pranam,
  Anil

Krishnan

• View Profile
« Reply #3593 on: December 15, 2013, 09:49:51 PM »

Dear Sri Jewell,

Many thanks for your explanation and sharing your own experience. It is indeed true that one should not get carried away by that state, which is after all, only of the mind.

Namaskarams,
Krishnan

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3594 on: December 16, 2013, 07:54:10 AM »
Quote from Sri Krishnan:
“Could you kindly shed some light on Manolaya and how to go beyond it? During meditation I am able to experience blankness of the mind. Although Bhagavan asks to pursue further as to whom this state appears, any further exposition will be appreciated.”

Quote from Sri Jewell:
“Bhagavan said that we must further inquire to whom is blankness, who is aware of it, when temporary absence of thoughts happens. When we are still there to perceive such blankness or all other happenings, that means inquirer is still there.

For me personally, whenever such things occurs, it is best to continue with practice like usually. Not allowing mind to persuade me i already "arrived". I remember always one quote of wisdom which goes:" When You think You are there, You aren't.". I learned not to trust any experience, no matter which like, or any state. I just know i shouldn't expect anything. Just following words of Guru and our own heart, without giving any conclusion, interpretation, or bothering am i there" or not. Whatever experience is there, it will pass. Knowing that silently, is great help for me. So my advice would be, continue with Your practice sir, and be aware all states are of mind only.”

Dear Sri Krishnan,

Yes, Sri Jewell’s response to your question is spontaneous and true to Sri Bhagwan’s Teaching. There is no doubt that Sri Bhagwan’s Grace is with Sri Jewell and she has understood, intellectually as well as intuitively, the Teaching with clarity and assimilated it perfectly.  However, I wish to add a few words regarding your problem as following:

Sri Bhagwan says in V. 13 of the Upadesa Saram that control of the mind is of two kinds, its lulling and its destruction. A lulled mind will rise again but not the one which is destroyed. So, manolaya is only temporary subsidence or cession of thoughts. Yet, the thoughts which had taken deeper roots would remain unannihilated. Sri Bhagwan has taught that the moment one experiences this type of stillness or blankness, one should continue the Enquiry till the mind is totally destroyed, never to rise again. 
Dear Sri Krishnan, the concept of manolaya and manonasa are special features of Sri Bhagwan’s Teaching. The temporary manolaya may even be an obstacle to further spiritual progress if one does not proceed to tackle such stilled mind.
Sri Bhagwan has taught that the quietness of the mind cannot be the Goal in itself, for temporary stilling of the mind comes about in the course of spiritual practice, particularly in the practice of Enquiry. The period it lasts is of no real consequence but therein also lies the danger if one were to take it as if one has arrived, as Sri Jewell beautifully put it.
“One must not allow oneself to be overtaken by such spells of stillness of thought. The moment one experiences this one must revive consciousness and enquire within as to who is it that experiences this stillness or blankness.”

Therefore, dear Sri Krishnan, the quietness of the mind must be taken advantage of to pursue or to push the Enquiry further to the point of Self-abidance. Thus, though in both manolaya and manonasa questions will not arise, nevertheless, ‘remaining permanently as One without rising of any doubt or thought such as, ‘Nothing is known, or something is known’ alone is Manonasa.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil   

« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 07:44:39 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3595 on: December 16, 2013, 10:16:29 AM »
D: How do we go to sleep and how do we wake up?
Sri Bhagwan: Just at nightfall the hen clucks and the chicks go and hide themselves under her wings. The hen then goes to roost in the nest with the chicks in her protection. At dawn the chicks come out and so does the hen. The mother-hen stands for the ego which collects all the thoughts and goes to sleep. At sunrise the rays emerge forth and are collected again at sunset. Similarly, when the ego displays itself, it does so with all its paraphernalia. When it sinks, everything disappears with it.

D: What does sushupti look like?
Sri Bhagwan: In a cloudy dark night no individual identification of objects is possible and there is only dense darkness, although the seer has his eyes wide open; similarly in sushupti the seer is aware of simple nescience.
Sri Bhagwan is said to have remarked to an inquisitive person: “What is the meaning of this talk of truth and falsehood in the world which is itself false.”
Talk—286   

Dear devotees, it follows that the Seer alone Is. What is there to see in a world which is itself false ?   

Pranam,
  Anil
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 10:19:08 AM by eranilkumarsinha »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3596 on: December 16, 2013, 02:15:16 PM »
A boy I came to Thee,
Not knowing what Thou wert,
I  came up here and saw,
And found Thou wert a Hill.

But who is the seer?
Deep into that I probed.
No seer then remained;
No mind survived at all
To say that this I saw,
Or e’en to say didn’t
As Dakshinamurthi once,
Silent Thou taught’st the truth,
Thou dost the same e’en now,
Thou silent standing Hill!
If Thou forbear to speak
Who else can voice Thy truth?
Arunachala Ashtakam  Ver. 1 and 2
Source: Centenary Souvenir 

Pranam,
   Anil

Krishnan

• View Profile
« Reply #3597 on: December 16, 2013, 02:55:02 PM »

Dear Sri Anil,

Many thanks for your message and explanation. It is true, one must be wary of such states of blankness and probe deeper. Until thoughts and states arise or exist, the mind still persists!

Have a safe trip to Ramanasramam!

Namaskarams,
Krishnan

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #3598 on: December 17, 2013, 04:29:58 AM »
Dear Sri Anil ,

I am so delighted to see beautiful poem from Sri Rabindranath Tagore ,Great Soul and Great poet. His poems are so full of beauty,of sweetness,of some tenderness,full of Soul. I enjoy so much reading them.

I wish to post two poems here,because i couldn't decide which one to chose.

Thank You so much my dear friend Sri Anil!

"Without a Place and With a Place"

by John of the Cross

Without a place and with a place
to rest -- living darkly with no ray
of light -- I burn my self away.

My soul -- no longer bound -- is free
from the creations of the world;
above itself it rises hurled
into a life of ecstasy,
leaning only on God. The world
will therefore clarify at last
what I esteem of highest grace:
my soul revealing it can rest
without a place and with a place.

Although I suffer a dark night
in mortal life, I also know
my agony is slight, for though
I am in darkness without light,
a clear heavenly life I know;
for love gives power to my life,
however black and blind my day,
to yield my soul, and free of strife
to rest -- living darkly with no ray.

Love can perform a wondrous labor
which I have learned internally,
and all the good or bad in me
takes on a penetrating savor,
changing my soul so it can be
consumed in a delicious flame.
I feel it in me as a ray;
and quickly killing every trace
of light -- I burn my self away. 
      "God! God! God!"

by Paramahansa Yogananda

From the depths of slumber,
As I ascend the spiral stairways of wakefulness,
I will whisper:
God! God! God!

Thou art the food, and when I break my fast
Of nightly separation from Thee,
I will taste Thee, and mentally say:
God! God! God!

No matter where I go, the spotlight of my mind
Will ever keep turning on Thee;
And in the battle din of activity, my silent war-cry will be:
God! God! God!

When boisterous storms of trials shriek,
And when worries howl at me,
I will drown their noises, loudly chanting:
God! God! God!

When my mind weaves dreams
With threads of memories,
Then on that magic cloth will I emboss:
God! God! God!

Every night, in time of deepest sleep,
My peace dreams and calls, Joy! Joy! Joy!
And my joy comes singing evermore:
God! God! God!

In waking, eating, working, dreaming, sleeping,
Serving, meditating, chanting, divinely loving,
My soul will constantly hum, unheard by any:
God! God! God!

With love and prayers,

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #3599 on: December 19, 2013, 03:08:40 AM »

Fly messenger of death! fly!
From our vice fly, from our vice fly!
For you can't be harmonious,
To be one with us, to be one with us.

From army's attack well armed
And from its sharp plectrums on the wire,
No string will escape unharmed
From our lyre, from our lyre.

First you will devour the wine,
Then you'll grow drunk and joyous;
Then you'll loose your sense
Then you'll remember us, remember us.

If you desire a cup of this wine,
First be slender as glass, thin as brass,
Shatter yourself on our rock, repine;
When you have thinned to a slender glass.

He who drinks the juice, the wine red,
Will be satiated, he will vegetate;
He who gives up joy, gives up joy,
Will long for us, will long for us.

Against fate Mars, the god of war,
Is weak as woman, can't inflict the dagger;
How the veiled woman will dare
To war with us, to war us?

If you want a sword from the sun,
Build a shield from the full moon;
If you are a Caesar or model of fairness,
You must pierce the rust and darkness.