Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 756368 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #3495 on: October 21, 2013, 08:26:46 AM »
   A  LYRIC  TO  SRI  RAMANA

You are the light that never pales,
The beacon-light that never fails
Nor flickers in the ruddiest gales
Blowing across life’s darkened slope;
You are the comfort which endures,
The constant  kindly touch that cures,
The voice that ever re-assures
The heart when it is losing hope.

You burn within my life, my art,
And in the midst of crowds, apart,
You haunt my solitary heart
That throbs unceasing to your name.
You are the mystery unique
About whom lips may hardly speak,
You make of every pain a peak,
Crowned with your peace, a steady flame.

You are a huge horizon bent
Over a world of discontent
To bless us till our hearts are lent
A tint or two from out your store.
You are so close what though remote,
Even in storm you strike a note
Of safety while our floundering boat
Gives up all hope of reaching shore.

O human body thrice divine!
How very silently you shine
Lamplike upon the borderline
Of all our struggle, all our strife.
But on your guidance we depend
And though our Lord, we call you friend;
 From lonely summits you descend
To soothe and heal the wounds of life.

Give us the high illumined Grace
To make the heart your dwelling-place,
To see you clearly, face to face,
In all we feel and say and do;
And may we evermore contain
Your Presence in each passing pain,
Even as drought desires the rain,
Your mercy that is coming through.

Increase our silence and our power,
Be with us every fleeting hour,
 O set our barest beings in flower
And with your love’s divine increase
Within us, let the heart concern
Itself with you who reign and burn
Through every pore at every turn
Moulding the final masterpiece.

Sri Harindranath Chattopadhyaya

Pranam,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3496 on: October 21, 2013, 03:32:34 PM »
Sri Bhagwan: Though the ‘I’ is always experienced, yet one’s attention has to be drawn to it. Only then does Knowledge dawn (Talk—92).

D: How does the sphurana appear—as light, movement, or what?
Sri Bhagwan: How can it be described in words? It includes all these—It is the Self. Fix your attention on it and do not let go the idea of its ultimate character (Talk—160).

Sri Cholkar again requested instructions from a practical point of view, that is, suitable to himself.
Sri Bhagwan: It is not external and therefore need not be sought elsewhere. It is internal and also eternal. It is always realised. But you say you are not aware. IT  REQUIRES  CONSTANT  ATTENTION  TO  ITSELF.  No other effort is necessary. YOUR  EFFORT  IS  ONLY  MEANT  NOT  TOP  ALLOW  YOURSELF  TO  BE  DISTRACED  BY   THOUGHTS.
Sri Cholkar was satisfied. (Talk—312)

Sri Bhagwan: Because the man is already the Self, and the Self is the Eternal Reality, his attention is drawn to it; and he is instructed to rivet his attention on the Eternal Reality, the Self (351).

Sri Bhagwan : People see the world. The perception implies the existence of a seer and seen. The objects are alien to the seer. The seer is intimate, being the Self. They do not however turn their attention to finding out the obvious seer but run to about analysing the seen. The more the mind expands, the farther it goes and renders Self-realisation more difficult and complicated. The man must directly see the seer and realise the Self (Talk—427).

Sri Bhagwan: What is needed is to fix the attention on the pure ‘I’ after the subsidence of thoughts and not to lose hold of it. This has to be described as an extremely subtle thought; else it cannot be spoken of at all, since it is no other than the Real Self. Who is to speak of it, to whom and how?
Talk—624

Dear Devotees,

Sri Bhagwan has taught that if other thoughts distract us, the only way is to draw our mind back each time it strays and fix it on the ‘I’. As each thought arises, we ask ourselves, ‘To whom is this thought?” The answer will be, “to me”; then we have been taught to hold on to that “me”.  ‘ME’  HERE  MEANS  ‘I’-CONSCIOUSNESS  AND  NOT  THIS   INSENTIENT   BODY. So, mind it, we are not supposed to hold the image our body, but the reflected consciousness , ‘I’-feeling.  Srimad Bhagavad Gita, as you may remember, teaches the same:  DRAW  IN  THE MIND  AS  OFTEN  AS  IT  GOES  OUTWARD,  AND  FIX  IT  IN  THE  SELF.
Sri Bhagwan has also taught that the meditation is not so much thinking of the Self as giving up thinking of the non-Self. When we give up thinking of outward objects and prevent our mind from going outwards and turn it inward and fix it in the Self, the Self alone remains and the more we get fixed in the Self, the more other thoughts will drop off by themselves. The mind is a bundle of thoughts and ‘I’-thought is the root thought. When we reach a stage in Enquiry when we are able to see clearly WHO   THIS  ‘I’  IS  AND  WHENCE  IT  PROCEEDS  ALL  THOUGHTS  AUTOMATICALLY  GET  MERGED  IN  THE  SELF.

AND  THE  MOST  PRACTICAL  WAY  OF  DISCARDING  THE  NON-SELF  IS  TO  FOCUS  OUR  ATTENTION  ON  OURSELVES.  What is attention? Attention in itself is always pure. It is the reflection of the ‘Knowing Power’ of the Consciousness of the Self and therefore it is the Power of the Pure Mind. According to Sri Sadhu Om’s insight, since the Self is verily our Reality, the very nature of our attention (It is the Supreme Self’s Attention) Itself is Grace. That means whatever thing we attend to, that thing is nourished and will flourish, being blessed by Grace. Therefore, if our power of attention, that is, power of attention of the Mind (pure) or the power of attention of the Self, is directed more and more towards second or third person objects, both the strength to attend to those objects and ignorance will grow more and more. On the other hand if our (Self’s) attention is directed only towards ourselves, our knowledge of ourselves, our Existence, our Reality, alone is nourished. And the mind called bundle of thoughts is deprived for want of our attention and consequently the seeds of vasanas gradually dry up and are destroyed.

Dear devotees, so long as our power of attention is dwelling on sense objects and thoughts, all second or third person objects, it is called mind (impure or lower) and its attending is an action or doing. But as soon as it is attending to itself, that is, ourselves, it loses its mean names such as the mind or the intellect or the ego-sense. Moreover, that attention is no longer a doing or action, and therefore the Self-attention is no longer an attending, a doing or an action. THE  ATTENTION  MERGES  IN  THAT  WHICH  IS,  THAT  IS,  THE  SELF, AND  IS  MERE  STATE  OF  BEING,   OR  STATE  OF  BEING  STILL  (Summa Iru) AND  THAT  IS  REALISATION. 

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3497 on: October 22, 2013, 08:44:42 AM »
       TO  SRI  RAMANA  MAHARSHI

A face that’s still like silent cloudless blue,
And eyes that even as stars drip holiness
Won from a Source beyond our ken—a new,
Messenger Thou, in this age, of a Grace

Men ache for and, withal, are terrified
When it shines near—wan puppets of fool senses,
They would disown the soul’s faith—even deride
The Peace they crave yet fear—for Life’s false dances

And siren rhythms beguile the multitude!
And there they woo Time’s whirls and wheels—for what?
At best a reeling moment—an interlude
Of half-lit laughter dogged by tears—of Fate!

O son of Dawn! who only knowest the Sun,
And through His eyes of Light see’st all that lies
Revealed—a flawless Plenitude which none
Buut Sun’s own children ever might surmise!

For only the chosen few so far have won
The Truth that shines beyond world’s wounds and cries;
Who see Thee, throned in the high dominion
Of Self’s invulnerable Verities.

Enjoy a glimpse of Bliss of the Beyond,
Thou singest: “Nay, ‘tis here’—ywt without Thy
Lone sight-born pledge—how few would understand!
Homage to Thee, O Bard of Clarity!
Sri Dilip Kumar Roy, The Musician, Sri Aurbindo Ashram

Pranam,
  Anil   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3498 on: October 22, 2013, 07:44:39 PM »
Sri Bhagwan: Samadhi alone can reveal the Truth,. Thoughts cast a veil over Reality, and so It is not realised as such in states other than Samadhi.
IN  SAMADHI  THERE  IS  ONLY  THE  FEELING  ‘I  AM’ AND  NO  THOUGHTS.  THE  EXPEREINCE  ‘I  AM’  IS  BEING  STILL.

Dear Devotees,

The form the ego may assume to escape the searchlight of the Enquiry may be legion, and therefore  Sri Bhagwan taught that for purpose of Jnana Vichara one has to proceed on the basis that the ego has but one form, namely that of ‘aham-vritti’. Since the aham-vritti essentially comprises all the forms of the ego, and it is one irreducible datum of our experience, seeking the source of the aham-vritti is the only practicable course we can adopt to realise the Self. For instance, the ego is said to have a causal body, but when the ego adopts that form, we are immersed in the darkness of sleep.

D: What is the relation between the Pure Consciousness realised by the Jnani and the ‘I am’-ness which is accepted as the primary datum of experience.
Sri Bhagwan: The undifferentiated Consciousness of Pure Being is the Heart or Hridayam which you really are, as signified by the word itself (hrit+ayam=Heart am I). From the heart arises the ‘I am’-ness as the primary datum of one’s experience.  By itself it is sudha-sattva in character. It is in this sudha-sattva Swarupa, that is uncontaminated by rajas and tamas, THAT  THE  ‘I’  APPEARS  TO  SUBSIST  IN  THE  JNANI.

Dear devotees, Sri Bhagwan has made it clear that the existence of the ego in any form, either in Jnani or ajnani is itself always an appearance only. But to the ajnani the waking state and the world are real and therefore the ego also appears to be real. AND  AHAM-VRITTI  DOES  NOT  FUNCTION  AT  ALL IN THE JNANI. Because an ajnani sees the Jnani act like other individuals to posit some notion of individuality with reference to the Jnani also. That is all there is to it.       

Dear devotees, Sri Bhagwan has also taught that in our investigation into the source of aham-vritti, we take essentially the consciousness aspect of the ego (chit aspect), and for this reason the Enquiry must lead to the realisation of the Pure Consciousness of the Self ‘I am’.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3499 on: October 23, 2013, 07:34:53 AM »
He who, his ego gone, knows through and through
I, the first person, subject substantive,
Combined with ‘AM’, the predicate of being,
He indeed and he alone is the true knower.
Guru Vachaka Kovai

Dear devotees, what follows is a passage from an article ‘The Sage of Arunachala’ authored by a devotee named Sri Ratna Navaratna:
In the early forties of this eventful century (20 th), the Mahayogi of Yalpanam, Sri Lanka, and the Maharshi of Annamalai met at the Foot of Sri Arunachala. In stillness they communed in that primordial Mounam which prevails when men and mountains meet. Then one sees and sees not; rest and work, day and night, are not in succession but simultaneous. Later Yoga Swami proclaimed the luminous union between him and Maharshi in lines that haunt our memory.

“All words blend in voiceless stillness.
All acts merge in the calm of awareness.
All things rest in the plenum of peace.” 
Source: Ramana Smrti

Sri Ratna Navaratna: HIS  SILENCE  WILL  RSOUND  LIKE  THUNDER  FOR  A  THOUSAND  YEARS.
(Why only a thousand years? Reverberation of His Silence is forever.)

THINKING  OF  HIM  IS  BUT  ABIDING  AS  THAT WHICH  IS,  AS  HEART  WITHIN  THE  HEART.
(Yes, indeed, thinking of Him is as good as Self-attention itself, for He is the Self abiding in the innermost recess of hearts of all.) 

Pranam,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3500 on: October 23, 2013, 09:18:29 AM »
“LIFE  POURS  FORTH  FROM  THE  INCOMPARABLE  GRACE  OF  THY  STEADY  AND  SHINING  EYES.”

Dear Devotees,

Swami Sri Chidbhavanada reminisces thus:

One day a man following the path of devotion came in and occupied a place near the Sage. Then he unburdened all that lay buried in his heart. His speech was choked with feeling. He poured forth, “I have gone on pilgrimage all over the land. I have been regular in my spiritual practices. Many a sleepless night have I passed in prayer. Still to this day I have no mercy from the Lord. I am forlorn. “ he cried bitterly, but the Maharshi sat unconcerned. Eventually all his suppressed feelings were worked out, and then in a measured voice the Sage said, “Funny man. He cries—what is there to sob about? Instead of being poised in the blissful Self, he goes on wailing.” This observation had a telling effect. He saw his problem was self-created, and a new chapter in his life started.

On another occasion a talkative man made  his appearance in the Hall. He chose to sit near the Sage and unceremoniously raised a question, “Bhagwan, what is your view on birth control?” There was no answer, so the man explained at length the importance of the topic. Again getting no reply, he continued until he could say no more, and then fell silent. Silence reigned supreme in the Hall. In the midst of this silence, the Maharshi asked, “Do you know death control?” There was no response.

One day it was suggested to Sri Maharshi that no spiritual progress could be made without sadhana, or discipline. After a pause He made these observations:

“Mind it is that binds man, and the same mind it is that liberates him. Mind is constituted of sankalpa and vikalpa—desire and disposition. Desire is of two kinds—the noble and the base. The base desires are lust and greed. Noble desire is directed towards enlightenment and emancipation. Base desire contaminates and clouds the understanding. Sadhana is easy for the aspirant who is endowed with noble desires. Calmness is the criterion of spiritual progress. PLUNGE  THE  PURIFIED  MIND  INTO  THE  HEART. THEN  THE  WORK  IS  OVER.  THIS  IS  THE  ESSENCE  OF  ALL  SPIRITUAL  DISCIPLINE.”

During one of my visits I was seated at some distance from the Maharshi. There were devotees in the Hall and the usual silence prevailed. I remembered His injunction, “PLUNGE  THE  PURE  MIND  INTO  THE  HEART.” And decided to practice it then. I gazed at Him and He gazed back at me. What followed was indescribable. His body seemed a glass case from which a blissful brilliance streamed out.  More than half an hour passed this way. It was an experience unique and unforgettable. It confirmed Sri Ramakrishna’s Statement that spiritual experience can be transmitted from one person to another in the manner in which material things are handed over.   

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

Note:   Swami Sri Chidbhavanada writes that he made personal contact with Sri Bhagwan in 1928. However, he renounced the world in 1923 and joined the Sri Ramakrishna Math. He entered the order of sanyasa in 1926. He was in charge of Sri Ramakrishna Ashram at Ootacamund from 1926 to 1940. Swami says that during this period, when he travelled between Ootacamund and Madras he took as many opportunities as possible to go to Tiruvannamalai in order to see Sri Bhagwan. 

Dear devotees, Swami Sri Chidbhavanada goes on to say that Sri Ramana Maharshi is verily a true Son of this Holy Land, who spontaneously and impersonally showered benediction on mankind. I should say, “Sri Bhagwan is verily a true Son of this Holy Land, who is spontaneously and impersonally bestowing Grace and showering Benediction on all those who would behold.”

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3501 on: October 26, 2013, 10:16:42 AM »
Dear Devotees,

When Sri Bhagwan suddenly disappeared from home, His kith and kin failed to understand Him, and imagine their surprise when they saw Him two years later at Tiruvannamalai, with matted hair, over-grown nails and sun-burnt complexion, and sunk deep in meditation! The uncle prayed fervently and the Mother wept bitter tears to persuade Him to come Home. Did they not? Only after great deal of importunity, Sri Bhagwan is said to have vouchsafed to tell the Mother in writing that She had rather leave Destiny have Its own way and abide by Its verdicts. It was not obstinacy, nor merely a reply to reject the Mother’s plea, for Sri Bhagwan saw in the Mother’s tears the futility of human sentiments and emotions set against the  UNBENDING  COSMIC  WILL. 

Dear devotees, the first written Teaching of Sri Bhagwan thus was given to His own Mother which sets the stage for the revelation of the great path of Self-enquiry. The Ordainer controls the fate of souls. Whatever is destined not to happen will not happen, try as we may. Whatever is destined to happen will happen, do what we may to prevent it.   AND  THIS  TEACHING  IS  STAMPED  WITH  THE  AUTHORITY:    THIS  IS  CERTAIN.  The best course therefore is to remain silent. AND  SILENCE  IS  THE PINNACLE  IN  WHICH  THE  ENQUIRY  OR  SURRENDER  MUST  CULMINATE.

Dear devotees, the question now arises that If everything is predestined and we all are acting only according to how we are being directed to act, then what is our own reality? WHAT  THEN  IS  THE  REALITY  OF  AN  INDIVIDUAL? For those who may contemplate and ponder, all this raises a very fundamental question: WHO  THEN  AM  I? THIS  RAISES  A  DOUBT  ABOUT  ONE’S  TRUE NATURE.  Does it not? Therefore, Sri Bhagwan’s first written Upadesa is of paramount importance for those who are pursuing the Path of Atma-vichara. For, why ask a question if one already knows the answer. Is it not absurd to mentally ask ‘Who am I?’ and the very next moment to identify oneself with myriad names and forms and their thoughts? So, if we know the answer where is the room for firing the question ‘Who am I?’ And if we do not know True ‘I’,  then how can we think about the things and objects related and connected to that ‘I’ alone? Hence, when we enquire ‘Who am I?’, all thoughts become, and should become, redundant, meaningless, and totally irrelevant. If we are earnest, Enquiry is sure to prevent the rising of any other thought, or sankalpa.

Dear devotees, Sri Bhagwan has taught that the best course is to remain silent. Therefore, let us crush that which makes noise (the ego or the ‘I’-thought) IN  THE  QUERN  OF JNANA-VICHARA  OR  ATMA-VICHRA  OR  THE  SELF-ENQUIRY ‘WHO  AM  I? I? I? I ? I? I? I?...I,I,I,……”I”,  AND  WHENCE  AM  I?, I?, I?, I?, I,I,I,I,…”I”, seasoned with Satsanga, softened and flattened, fried in the Ghee of Brahman and eaten by the Self, as taught by Sri Bhagwan in the Song ‘Pappadam’ to the Mother  HERSELF.

ONLY  THE  INTENSE  SEARCHLIGHT  OF  ATTENTION  ON  THE  ‘I’-CONSCIOUSNESS REMAINS, THEN  REMAINS  ONLY  THE  ATTENTION  AND  THEN THE  ‘I’-THOUGHT  ALONG  WITH  THE  ATTENTION  ITSELF  WILL AUTOMATICALLY  DISSOLVE  IN  ITS  SOURCE,  THAT  IS,  THE  SWARUPA  OR  THE  SELF.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil       

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3502 on: October 26, 2013, 03:22:38 PM »
   “Dariya  ki  lahar  dariya  hai  ji.”

THE river and its waves are one surf :
where is the difference between the
river and its waves ? When the wave rises, it is the water ;
and when it falls, it is the same
water again. Tell me, Sir, where
is the distinction ? Because it has been named as wave,
shall it no longer be considered as
water ?
Within the Supreme Brahma, the worlds are being told like beads :
Look upon that rosary with the eyes of wisdom.
Sage Sri Kabir

Pranam,
 Anil

Anand

• Anand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3503 on: October 26, 2013, 05:59:59 PM »
Dear Anil,
If I were to practice only repeating "I","I" ,inwardly as the main sadhana for ever ,will this be a good practice of self enquiry .
I am not able to practice successfully other methods like holding on to the I am feeling etc.
Thanks,
Anand Sundaram.
Sundaram Anand

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3504 on: October 26, 2013, 06:13:27 PM »
Dear Anand Sundaram,

Yes. Instead of saying I, I. you can repeat Aham Aham, which will be more effective.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3505 on: October 27, 2013, 08:07:20 AM »
Quote from Sri Anand Sundaram:
“If I were to practice only repeating "I","I" ,inwardly as the main sadhana for ever ,will this be a good practice of self enquiry .
I am not able to practice successfully other methods like holding on to the I am feeling etc.”

Dear Sri Anand,

See to whom all this trouble is. Certainly it is to the ‘I’-thought. ‘I’-thought is found to be the root thought. Go deeper. ‘I’-thought, being a mere thought, disappears and there is an infinitely expanded ‘I’-Consciousness.  Therefore, hold the ‘I’-thought and all these thoughts will vanish.
However, yes, as you say, if you are not able to hold the ‘I’-consciousness, or ‘I’-thought, or ‘I am’-ness, think ‘I’, ‘I’, ‘I’, ‘I’, ‘I’………….., and hold to that one thought to the exclusion of all others.

Dear Sri Anand, I would like to quote a passage from Dr. Sarada’s beautiful book ‘The Wonderous  Vigilance’, to drive the point home, as follows:

Self-enquiry, like any process or pursuit, does require a preparedness to follow it. Is it difficult to understand? Why, even young children respond when the idea is explained to them.
With a change in your name do you change?
‘No’ they chorus.
When your body grows is your sense of ‘I’ any different?
‘No’ they assert.
Is not the feeling of ‘I’ with you always?
‘Yes’.
Hold on to that.

Dear Sri Anand, Sri Bhagwan has taught that there can be nothing easier to understand than the sense of ‘I’, so very familiar, and so much a part of our lives and always standing TALL BEFORE US, and therefore there can be nothing dearer to hold on to than this sense of ‘I’. We cannot deny our existence. That Existence is Consciousness, the Self or the Swarupa.

Therefore, I wish to submit that, in my view, the best course to follow is to take up the ‘thread’ or the CLUE of ‘I’-ness and follow it up its Source. Because, firstly, as Sri Bhagwan taught, it is impossible for anybody to entertain any doubt about his ‘I’-notion; secondly whatever be the sadhana adopted, the final Goal is the Realization of the Source of ‘I am’-ness which is the primary datum of all our experiences whatever.

Dear friend, Sri Anand, you need not delude yourself by imagining that Source outside you. Our Source is within. Remember, you yourself are the Self. This is why Sri Bhagwan has taught that the Self-enquiry is not a method of one ‘I’ searching for another ‘I’.  Self-enquiry therefore is all about attending to that  VERY  FAMILIAR,  VERY  DEAR,  ‘I’-FEELING  OR  CONSCIOUSNESS  OR  NOTION,  THAT  IS,  ONESELF. So, all one need do is to attend to oneself, to focus on oneself and to bring the attention back to oneself every time the attention strays. Remember, the correct method of the Enquiry, as taught by Sri Bhagwan, is the Self-attention and ‘just be still’.

PERSEVERANCE,  EARNESTNESS  AND  MOST  IMPORTANT  LOVE  FOR  SRI  BHAGWAN,  WHO  IS  THE  INNER  SELF  AND  COMMANDER-IN-CHIEF  ON  THE  PATH  OF  ENQUIRY, WILL  SURE  TAKE  ONE  TO  THE  HEART. 

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3506 on: October 27, 2013, 12:10:28 PM »
Dear Devotees,

I feel, in retrospect, that I have always benefitted by savouring the soulful, heart-melting songs composed by Sri Bhagwan’s ardent and grateful devotees on Him and His Grace. They, more often than not, moved me deeply and at times I indeed felt Love expanding and encompassing the whole world. Such is the power of love and devotion of Sri Bhagwan’s devotees, particularly, great, old devotees who were His contemporary and moved closely with Him. For instance, kindly savour the famous song  ‘WILL  YOU  NOT  LET  ME  GO?’, composed by the great devotee, Major Sri A. W. Chadwick, as follows:                 

TO
            MAHARSHI  RAMANA
        THE  MERCURIAL  MASTER
     WILL  YOU  NOT  LET  ME  GO?

Will you not let me go?
Like some insidious druggist you would make
Me come with cavern pleading to your door,
And beg you of your mercy let me take
From out your potent wares a little more,
And so,
You will not let me go.

Will you not let me go?
Here, in an alien land I pass my hours,
Far from my country and all former ties.
A restless longing slowly me devours
That me all worldly happiness denies.
And so,
Will you not let me go?

Will you not let me go?
You tell me, “Yes. I do not keep you here.”
That’s but your fun. Why else then should I stay?
While months pass by and mount up year by year,
So that it seems I shall never go away.
And so,
You do not let me go.

Will you not let me go?
Nay, I am a fool, I cannot if I would.
I am your slave, do with me what you will.
That you should all deny, well, that is good.
If so it pleases you, I shall speak no ill.
And so,
Refuse to let me go.

Will you not let me go?
I am only sorry wax beneath your hands.
You have striven long to mould me into shape.
Your endless patience no one understands;
Your boundless love there’s no one can escape.
And so,
You will not let me go.

Will you not let me go?
I am a fool that I should try to flee;
For here, there is peace I shall never find
When I the least am separate from Thee;
Then I shall be but a slave to caitiff mind.
And so, I do not wish to go.

Source:  Golden Jubilee Souvenir

Pranam,
   Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3507 on: October 27, 2013, 06:56:31 PM »
A Moment’s Indulgence

I ask for a moment's indulgence to sit by thy side. The works
that I have in hand I will finish afterwards.

Away from the sight of thy face my heart knows no rest nor respite,
and my work becomes an endless toil in a shoreless sea of toil.

Today the summer has come at my window with its sighs and murmurs; and
the bees are plying their minstrelsy at the court of the flowering grove.

Now it is time to sit quite, face to face with thee, and to sing
dedication of life in this silent and overflowing leisure.

Sri Rabindranath Tagore

Pranam,
   Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3508 on: October 28, 2013, 07:17:15 AM »
        IN  HIM  I  CEASE  TO  BE

What is the seeing Self and what the seen?
And what the linking means that lies between?
To see or know a thing can only mean
I am that thing which else had never been.

The act of sight includes the Self that sees,
The object seen and what between them is.
The total Being immanent in these
Is Self without a second, where I cease.
Sri C. S. Bagi

Pranam,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3509 on: October 28, 2013, 10:07:04 AM »
Sri Swami Madhavtirtha:

On a subsequent day I asked Sri Maharshi for His views on my book Maya sent Him sometime ago. He said He had seen the book and read it. He was gracious enough to point out a mistake in my treatment of the subject and how I based on a wrong presumption. He explained to me the correct view-point at some length. My purpose in writing that book was to prove that the concept of maya as propounded by Sri Sankara is fully borne out by the modern ‘Theory of Relativity’. This theory, as is well known, maintains that time and space are purely relative notions dependent entirely on the conditions governing the observer and the object under observation and that there is no such thing as objective time and space. When two observers, taking different position in space, observe a particular event, they obtain different time-space measures, which will conflict with each other and necessarily vitiate any conclusion they may arrive at concerning the particular event. Sri Maharshi pointed out to me that the very presumption of two observers being situated at two given points is itself an unwarranted one. That is, taking for granted that there are two individual observers the notion of relativity must itself apply to the space-measure separating the two. In other words, the space between one observer and another being relative and unreal there cannot be more than one real observer. I at once recognised my error in the treatment of the concept of maya; I should have shown in my book how the presumption (take for granted by all scientists) that there can be two observers separated by a fixed time-space measure is itself subject to all the imperfections inherent in our perceptions, as established by the theory of relativity.   IT  WAS  A  REVELATION  TO  ME  THAT  SRI  MAHARSHI  COUD  JUDGE  OFF-HAND  AS  IT  WERE,  SUCH  MODERN  THEORIES  AS  THAT  OF  RELATIVITY,  PROCEEDING  ENTIRELY  ON  THE  BASIS  OF  HIS  OWN  EXPEREINCE  OF  THE  ABSOLUTE.   

Dear Devotees,

In ‘Maharshi’s Gospel’, conclusion, as drawn by Sir James Jeans, based on Sri Einstein’s Theory of Relativity, in his book ‘The New Background of Science’, has been given as follows:

“We find space means nothing apart from our perception of objects, and times means nothing apart from our experience of events. Space begins to appear merely as a fiction created by our minds, an illegitimate extension to Nature of a subjective concept which helps us to understand and describe the arrangement of objects as seen by us; while time appears as a second fiction, serving a similar purpose for the arrangement of events which happen to us.”

Dear devotees, so, the Science, at long last, is beginning to see the truth of spirituality. Sri Bhagwan has taught that our physical bodies are merely things in space and without the past and the future, time as generally conceived, is but a myth. Moreover, when time and space are considered by Modern Science as mere fiction created by our own minds, objects and events TOO become ipso facto mere creations of our own minds, because they cannot be there in the first place without time and space. As to the solidity of matter, we know that that science knows nothing about the real nature of the constituents of the atom. It knows only the radiations that come out of it, but never the source itself. Since the atom continually radiates energy, the electron at one time can never be identified with the electron at another time.
Sri Bertrand Russell, the author of such popular works as ‘Human Knowledge, its Scope and its Limits’, ‘History of Western Philosophy’, ‘Marriage and Morals’, etc., writes in his famous book ‘Outline of Philosophy’ thus:
“The electron ceases altogether to have the properties of a “thing” as conceived by common sense; it is merely a region from which energy may radiate.”
Sri Russell draws following conclusion:
“Now owing chiefly to two German physicists, Heisenberg and Schrodinger, the last vestiges of the old solid atom have melted away, matter has become as ghostly as anything in a spiritual séance.”   

Dear devotees, those who believe and worship modern physical sciences should judge for themselves in what way the waking world of sense-perception is fundamentally different from the dream world. Sri Bhagwan has taught that except that the wakeful sate is long and the dream state is short, there is no difference between the two.

This truth, echoed by modern science is expressed beautifully by Dr. Sri Eddington in his famous book ‘The Nature of the Physical World’, thus:

“The frank realisation that physical science is concerned with the world of shadows is one of the most significant advances. In the world of physics we watch a shadow-graph performance of the drama of familiar life. THE  SHADOW  OF  MY  ELBOW  RESTS  ON  THE  SHADOW  TABLE  AS  THE  SHADOW  INK  FLOWS  OVER  SHADOW  PAPER.”
Sri Bhagwan says that all this is the picture show on the screen or the substratum of the Existence-Consciousness.

“Where is space without me, where is time? The body exists in space and time, but no  body am I. Nowhere am I, in no time: yet am I everywhere and in all time (Verse 16, Sat Darshana).”
 Dear devotees, this dispels all false notions about space and time and establishes that they are not objective reality and they are relative.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil