Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 758301 times)

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #3480 on: October 16, 2013, 09:20:00 AM »
Dear Sri Anil,

Yes,i agree with You that intellectual understanding is necessary. Mostly to convince us that we are not the body and mind,and to understand what this body really is. Especially for us who are threading the path,if i may say this way,of self enquiry and investigation. More,because we are prone to such ways,and our curiosity and need to analise and understand everything. Even if i sometimes think that this knowledge also  is completely not useful,and it will always show us how our own efforts are nothing in reality,and all that is just one more play in this relative world,the world of concepts how would Maharaj said. How it is importand when all is just happening in consciousness,and ego is empty concept only,just the thought. But,indeed,to come to that point,to truly and deeply realize even that,our helplessness,we must do everything,and do our practice wholeheartedly. Is this all true and correct,and why exactly we need to understand,i still am not sure,and don't know correct answer. But to me,it is very strange that imagined entity actually needs to understand something,when it is not 'her' realisation at all,and all this knowledge is of no use because it is in the field of dream,but on other hand,with understanding,bit by bit,it is evident that there are changes which lose hold of that same ego. It could be that then ego gives up so to say,and that is enough. Because,ego is also only other side of the coin,and it comes from same source,same Self. So it is essential to stop imagining,to be imersed in the thoughts,and firstly idea that we are born,and that we are the doers. Then,i guess,only understanding that we are not bodies is essential. But even more self enquiry. I believe that with it only,we can understand much more then in any other way. But all is the way and all is just the way it needs to be.

These were just some random thoughts...

Thank You for beautiful words from Bhagavan,dear friend,Sri Anil,and for so beautiful poems You have posted!

With love and prayers,
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 09:51:59 AM by Jewell »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3481 on: October 16, 2013, 04:18:06 PM »
“But,indeed,to come to that point,to truly and deeply realize even that,our helplessness,we must do everything,and do our practice wholeheartedly. Is this all true and correct,and why exactly we need to understand,i still am not sure,and don't know correct answer. But to me,it is very strange that imagined entity actually needs to understand something,when it is not 'her' realisation at all,and all this knowledge is of no use because it is in the field of dream,but on other hand,with understanding,bit by bit,it is evident that there are changes which lose hold of that same ego. It could be that then ego gives up so to say,and that is enough.”

Dear Sri Jewell,

Obviously, mere book learning is of no great use. Realisation happens after all intellectual loads are thrown overboard as jetsam. Jettisoning the ego is essential and with its jettisoning, all else is jettisoned as well. Therefore, yes, intellect and intellectual knowledge is a help only so far as to make one sink the intellect itself in the ego, and the ego in the Self. 

Dear friend, it is difficult to gauge one’s own progress, but from the above quote, it is obvious that you have intellectually as well as intuitively grasped the Direct Path rather well. Since the ego is no entity at all, it is destroyed by seeking its IDENTITY.  Being non-entity, the ego will sure automatically vanish and the Reality will shine forth. This is the Quest. This is why Sri Bhagwan says that no sadhanas are necessary for engaging in this Quest. For, we are seeking simply the loss of the ego which is a non-entity, non-existent. This is why Sri Bhagwan has taught: “A day will dawn when you will laugh at your past efforts. That which will be on the day you laugh is also here and now.”

Thanks very much, dear friend, Sri Jewell.
Pranam,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3482 on: October 16, 2013, 04:22:16 PM »
Dear Devotees,

“I  AM  NOT  THE  BODY  BUT  THE SELF.”

An actor dresses and acts and even feels the part he is playing, but, nevertheless, he knows really that he is not the character but someone else in real life. Does he not? LIKEWISE,  why should the body-consciousness or the feeling ‘I am the body’ disturb us, once we know for certain that we are not the body but the Self? In that case nothing that the body does should shake us from abidance in the Self. Sri Bhagwan has taught that such abidance will never interfere with the proper and effective discharge of whatever duties the body has, any more than the actor’s being aware of his real status and identity in life interferes with his acting a part on the stage.

But owing to old vasanas, we may often feel tempted to identify ourselves with the body. In that case  Sri Bhagwan has taught that it may help to remind ourselves that we are not the body but the Self.  But at the same time, Sri Bhagwan cautions that one should not make such repetition a mantram, constantly saying : “I am not the body but the Self.” “ONLY  BY  PROPER  ENQUIRY  INTO  THE  SELF,  THE  NOTION  ‘I  AM  THE  BODY’  WILL  GRADUALLY  VANISH  AND  IN  TIME  THE  FAITH  THAT  YOU  ARE  THE  SELF  WILL  BECOME  UNSHAKEABLE.”

Dear devotees, similarly, when a devotee asked Sri Bhagwan whether it was necessary and a condition precedent for a man to watch his breathing before beginning the mental quest ‘Who am I?’,  Sri Bhagwan replied:
“All depends on a man’s pakva (maturity), i.e. his attitude and fitness. THOSE  WHO  HAVE  NOT  THE  MENTAL  STRENGTH  TO  CONCENTRATE  OR  CONTROL  THEIR  MIND  AND  DIRECT  IT  ON  THE  QUEST  ARE  ADVISED  TO  WATCH  THEIR  BREATHING,  SINCE  SUCH  WATCHING  WILL  NATURALLY  AND  AS  A  MATTER  OF  COURSE  LEAD  TO  CESSATION  OF  THOUGHT  AND  BRING  THE  MIND  UNDER  CONTROL.”

Dear devotees, it is well known that Sri Bhagwan recommended to practice a little pranayama as an aid, in case one has not the mental strength to concentrate the mind on the Quest.
Sri Bhagwan : Watching the breath is also one form of pranayama. Retaining breath, etc., is more violent and may be harmful in some cases, e.g., when there is no proper Guru to guide the sadhak at every stage. BUT  MERELY  WATCHING  THE  BREATH  IS  EASY  AND  INVOLVES  NO  RISK.

Thus, Sri Bhagwan has taught that the breath and mid arise from the same place and when one of them is controlled, the other is also controlled. We must understand that in the Enquiry which is not merely ‘Who am I?’ but also ‘Whence am I?’, we are not merely trying to eliminate saying ‘we are not the body, not the senses and so on’, to reach what remains as the ultimate reality, but we are trying in all earnestness to find whence the ‘I’-thought for the ego arises within us.

Dear devotees, Sri Bhagwan has revealed that THIS  METHOD  CONTAINS  WITHIN  IT,  THOUGH  IMPLICITLY  AND  NOT  EXPRESSLY,  THE  WATCHING  OF  THE  BREATH.  When we watch wherefrom the ‘I’-thought, the root of all thoughts springs, we are necessarily watching the Source of breath also, as the ‘I’-thought and the breath arise from the same Source.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3483 on: October 17, 2013, 08:46:30 AM »
Sri Dilip Kumar Roy: According to the Maha Yoga You say that the Sages have not said anything to contradict each other. Yet, we find one advocating bhakti, another jnana, etc., leading to all sorts of quarrels.

Sri Bhagwan: There is really nothing contradictory in such teachings. When for instance a follower of bhakti marga declares that bhakti is the best, he really means by the word bhakti what the jnana marga man calls jnana. There is no difference in the state or its description by attributes or transcendence of attributes. Only different thinkers have used different words. All these different margas, or paths or sadhanas lead to the same goal. What is once a means becomes itself the goal. When that happens dhyana, bhakti or jnana, which was at one time a conscious and painful effort, becomes the normal and natural state, spontaneously and without effort.

To each person that way is the best which appears easiest or appeals most. All the ways are equally good, as they lead to the same goal, which is the merging of the ego in the Self. What the bhakta calls surrender, the man who does Vichara calls Jnana.  BOTH  ARE  TRYING  ONLY  TO  TAKE  THE  EGO  BACK  TO  THE  SOURCE  FROM  WHERE  IT  SPRANG  AND  MAKE  IT  MERGE  THERE.

Dear Devotees,
We all are trying to take the ego back to the Source from where it sprang, that is, to jettison the false identity and abide in and as the Atma-Swarupa or the Self Whose Nature is Bliss. That is the Goal. Rest every other thing is of secondary importance.  In my view, if the Goal is fixed and there is clarity about the Goal, it will not be much difficult for such a one to choose and embark on a sadhana which appeals  most and which appears easiest, and which is most appropriate in accordance with his temperament, maturity and inclination.     

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3484 on: October 18, 2013, 08:38:08 AM »
     SRI  ARUNACHALA  RAMANA

Unto the Blessed One of Arunachala,
The gracious Rishi, Bhagwan Sri Ramana,
Be gladly paid with deepest reverential bow
Such adoration as our hearts can compass.
………………………………………………………………..
………………………………………………………………..
O Siva –Yogi, Mighty God, to Thee,
Incarnate in this Silent One, whose Gaze
Can shrivel at a glance dark passion, and
The clouds of ignorance that swirl around
The ever-blissful Self,—
To Thee we offer flowers of our desire.
Inspire within our hearts the soaring Flame
That burns each Karttik on this Glory-Hill
Of Arunachala. Reveal the one
The only Being Immanent, the Self
Within the dreaming self. Strike down our fears,
Our hopes, our shadows of the mind. Unveil
Thy Beauty. Though we try with feeble words
To speak of Thee and of Thy potent Grace,
Words shrink to silence at the mystery
Of Silence shrined beside this mighty Hill.

Now from that Beacon slowly wafts the scent
Of camphor burning,—as our hearts for Thee,—
Of forest garland arches on Krishna’s breast
While He is dancing His Eternal Dance.

And in our eager souls drop quietly
The fragrant dews of the One Guru’s Grace,
Till at their magic touch all bonds decay,—
Sivatma reigning, Sea of moveless Peace,
Still as the rocks of Arunagiri.
What need is there of speech? The silent know
The ebb and flow of that unchanging Light;
And He who silently reposes here,
Stayed in the Heart of Arunachala,
Is Lord of Silence, and the Self of all.
Sri Duncan Greenlees

Pranam,
  Anil 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3485 on: October 18, 2013, 06:31:01 PM »
D: The final state of Realisation according to Advaita is said to be the absolute Union with the Divine. And according to Visishtadvaita, a qualified union, while Dvaita maintains that there is no union at all. Which of these should be considered the correct way?

Sri Bhagwan: Why speculate what will happen in the future? All are agreed that the ‘I’ exists. To whichever school of thought he may belong, let the earnest seeker first find out what the ‘I’ is. Then it will be time enough to know what the final State will be, whether the ‘I’ will get merged in the Supreme Being or stand apart from Him. Let us not forestall the conclusion but keep an open mind.

D: But will not some understanding of the final state be helpful guide even to the aspirant?
Sri Bhagwan: No purpose is served in trying to decide now what the final state of Realisation will be. It has no intrinsic value.
D: Why so?

Sri Bhagwan : Because you proceed on a wrong principle. Your ascertainment has to depend on the intellect which shines only by the light it derives from the Self. Is it not presumptuous on the part of the intellect to sit in judgement over that of which it is but a limited manifestation, and from which it derives its LITTLE light?
How can the intellect which can never reach the Self be competent to ascertain, and much less decide the nature of the final state of Realisation? It is like trying to measure the sunlight at its source by the standard of the light given by a candle. The wax will melt down before the candle comes anywhere near the sun.

IN  STEAD  OF  INDULGING  IN  MERE  SPECULATION ,  DEVOTE  YOURSELF  HERE  AND  NOW  TO  THE  SEARCH  FOR  THE  TRUTH  THAT  IS  WITHIN  YOU.
Maharshi’s Gospel

Pranam,
  Anil   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3486 on: October 19, 2013, 08:01:20 AM »
Sri Muruganar:

Instead of practicing sadhana superficially, follow it intensely in such a way that your mind is totally immersed in it.

Grace will not combine with a bat-like mentality. Stick with intensity to one path.

How useful can those paths be that do not reveal the Self, even though they speak about other things.

Your duty is to pay attention to what is already existing. All other sadhanas are just a great dream.

The first   and most important lesson that has to be learned by sadhakas is silence.

The silence of not speaking is the medicine that can change the habit of speaking pointlessly.

The most appropriate form of practice, the best sadhana that you can do, is enquiring into yourself and remaining steadfastly as the Self.
Padamalai

Sri David Godman’s Comment :

BATS  NIBBLE  AT  ONE  FRUIT  AND  FLY  AWAY,  LOOKING  FOR  ANOT HER  FRUIT  TO  NIBBLE  AT.  THEY  NEVER  STAY  LONG  ENOUGH  IN  ONE  PLACE  TO  FINISH  A  SINGLE  FRUIT. 

Dear devotees, to find water one must go sufficiently deep and dig in and excavate earth till one finds water, and not soon lose the patience and start digging and excavating afresh at a different place , and yet again at another place, and so on, thus losing the focus and energy. The Poet of the Divine Court of Sri Bhagwan has sung that the Grace will not combine with such fickle mentality. Therefore, it is wisdom to stick to one path.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3487 on: October 19, 2013, 08:49:47 AM »
Sri T. K. Sundaresa Iyer was worried with the numerous vexations that befall householders who are not the pets of fortune, and was disgusted with social life; he was strongly tepted to leave the town and his family and take to asceticism. Anyhow he felt he must consult Maharshi beforehand and went to see Him. Maharshi was engaged in stitching leaf-plates, and before Sri Iyer expressed his troubles, told him the moral lessons derived from leaf stitching: “You see with how much trouble we stitch up and preserve a leaf-plate. Then it serves its purpose. After that purpose is served, and only after that, it is thrown away. Just so with the body. It has to be looked after till the Self is realised.” Sri Iyer was thus taught that he should not so readily succumb to ordinary trials and vexations and think of abandoning his post before rendering the service for which his body came into existence.
Source: Self Realisation

Dear devotees, Sri Muruganar has alos sung that the Jnani who has known his Self will discard His body in the same way that a leaf plate is thrown away after eating food from it.

Pranam,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3488 on: October 19, 2013, 11:19:53 AM »
Were I given a hundred thousand tongues instead of one,
And the hundred thousand multiplied twenty-fold,
A hundred thousand times would I say, and say again,
The Lord of all the world is one,
That is the path that leads,
These the steps that mount,
Ascend thus to the Lord’s mansion
And with Him be joined in unison.
The sound of the songs of heaven thrills
The like of us who crawl, but desire to fly,
O Nanak, His Grace alone it is that fulfils,
The rest mere prattle, and a lie.
Ye have no power to speak or in silence listen,
To grant or give away,
Ye have no power to live or die.
Ye have no power to acquire wealth and dominion,
To compel the mind to thought or reason,
To escape the world and fly.
He who hath the pride of power, let him try and see.
O Nanak, before the Lord there is no low or high degree.
Sage Sri Guru Nanak

Dear devotees, I wish to say that the great Sage Sri Nanak is teaching here:
“The Lord of all the world is one,
That is the path that leads,
These the steps that mount,
Ascend thus to the Lord’s mansion
And with Him be joined in unison.”

Pranam,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3489 on: October 19, 2013, 01:33:34 PM »
Dear Devotees,

I love and cherish reading those songs and poems in which Sri Bhagwan’s devotees have expressed spontaneously their heart-felt love, adoration and devotion for Him, and in which I find the echo of my own heart. Therefore, whenever and wherever I happen to find such songs and poems, irrespective of who has composed them, I feel happy to post them here in this Forum which is dedicated to His Life and Teachings.

Sri Gladys De Meuter:
“The Sage of Arunachala does not belong to any specific time or place. He is beyond both. Only in this context does He emerge in His true grandeur.
As homage to that wondrous love song, which, once heard , is never forgotten or silenced, a modest bouquet is tendered to the Beloved:

Thou who alone knows how to love—
Blessed am I to know Thou lovest me.
Thou wilt never forsake me.
No matter what manner of misfortune befalls me,
When I am shunned, derided, cast aside by others,
Thou art ever there, folding me in tender protectiveness.

When aloneness, fears, doubts, temptations and other
foes assail me,
Thou art there to disperse them and put them to flight.
Thou art my true eternal Love
In Thee alone do I find repose
How to think Thee, O boundless Love?
By offering Thee my poverty-stricken heart!”

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3490 on: October 19, 2013, 03:27:25 PM »
Sri Douglas E. Harding:

To sum up, then, I thank Sri Ramana maharshi above all for tirelessly posing this question of questions, and for showing how simple the answer is, and for His lifelong dedication to that simple answer. But in the last resort all this talk of one giving another taking is unreal. The notion that there was a consciousness associated with the body in Tiruvannamalai, and there is another consciousness associated with this body in Nacton, England, and a lot of other consciousness associated with the other bodies comprising the universe—this is the great error which Maharshi never tolerated.  CONSCIOUSNESS  IS  INDIVISIBLE.
Ramana Smrti

Dear devotees, yes, Sri Bhagwan has taught that there is one Consciousness and that is the Self-consciousness.  That means Sri Bhagwan is the only Awareness and Awareness is Existence.

Pranam,
  Anil 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3491 on: October 20, 2013, 09:49:46 AM »
         MY  BELOVED  BHAGWAN

What shall I say of Him who towers high,
A veritable Everest of spiritual glory,
A resplendent sun who sheds light on all.
He is our soul, our life and sole refuge.
The Sage par-excellence dwells on the Sacred Hill,
Arunachala, the Abode of holy ones, the Rishis.
His compassionate eyes pour forth nectar on all He sees,
Drowning us in a sea of joy and ecstasy.
Our lives are aflame with divine wisdom
At a moment’s touch of His world-redeeming feet.
He is God Himself who walked on earth.
His grace and Delight enter our hearts,
Transforming us into His beauteous image.
He belongs to the dizzy heights;
Still He stands firm on the earth of ours
To redeem and save those who behold
His face reflected in the mirror
Of His toe-nails, which glow with celestial radiance.
The care-worn go to Him and become
Free and cheerful like children at play.
The earnest aspirants approach Him
To return deeply permeated with knowledge eternal.
Verily, to be in His Presence is to know
All that exists is Himself, His grandiose Being and Form.
His unfailing power of love is most potent;
How He draws me to Him is mystery.
O Lord! Like a rudderless boat adrift
On that vast ocean of the world, I wandered
Hither and thither seeking in darkness
The supreme light and goal that liberates life
From galling bondage and depthless sorrow.
Lo! Thy Grace drew me to Thy feet
And I came to Thee a vagrant and a beggar.
Thy very sight was burning with the all-consuming fire
                                                                            of the world.
The instant my head touched Thy holy feet
The fever of my soul left me for ever.
I felt lightness and freedom and peace;
Then Thine eyes, redolent with Thy Infinite Grace
Tenderly looked on me and I was thrilled.
I stood before Thee, a figure of pure bliss,
Fully bathed in Thy divine Halo.
Now, I am Thy child, free and happy.
My face is suffused with smiles drawn from Thee.
My life is entirely enlightened
With Thy Love, Knowledge and Power.
Thou art  my Mother, Master and Friend, my only Beloved.
All glory to Thee! All glory to Thee!
Swami Sri Ramdas, Source: Ramana Smrti

Pranam,
  Anil               

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3492 on: October 20, 2013, 02:24:37 PM »
Dear Devotees,

There is nothing extraordinary about experiencing ‘light’, ‘blazing light’, ‘limitless light’, ‘photisms of colours’, ‘vision’ or ‘vacuum’ when one treads the Direct Path of the Atma-vichara. Sri Bhagwan has revealed that since the experience is through the mind only it appears first as a blaze of light. However, the mental predispositions are not yet destroyed. Therefore, when one experiences a ‘blaze of light’ or the ‘limitless light’, etc., it implies that the mind is functioning in its infinite capacity. I wish to say here that all these experiences may be the sign of progress provided one is not stuck with, and entangled, in them.   

Dear devotees, Samadhi consists of Pure Consciousness, which alone illumines knowledge or ignorance and all our experiences, be it the experience of the ‘blazing light’ or the ‘limitless light’. Therefore, it follows that the Samadhi is the State of non-differentiation, that is, Undifferentiated, Supreme, Beatific Repose, beyond light and darkness. We must understand that the realisation of one’s own Self does not require any other light. CONSCIOUSNESS  ITSELF  IS  THE  LIGHT  WHICH  REVEALS  ITSELF  AS THE  SELF  ONLY.     

Dear devotees, Sri Bhagwan has taught that we must reject them because they all emanated from the Self only, they themselves cannot be the Self. One must determine that all these experiences are MERE  PHENOMENA, outside of oneself, and therefore cannot be the Supreme and press the Sadhana further, deeper and deeper, until one’s own True Self is realised as the Sole Reality, the Supreme; and the Bliss or the Transcendental Peace that is our Real Nature is gained.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3493 on: October 20, 2013, 04:03:03 PM »
Devotee: Has one necessarily to pass through the stage of seeing occult visions before attaining Self-realisation?
Sri Bhagwan : Why do you bother about visions and whether they come or not?
Devotee: I don’t. I only want to know so that I shall not be disappointed if I don’t have them.
Sri Bhagwan : Visions are not a necessary stage. TO  SOME  THEY  COME  AND  TO  OTHERS  THEY  DON’T,  BUT  WHETHER  THEY  COME  OR  NOT  YOU  ALWAYS  EXIST  AND  YOU  MUST  STICK  TO   THAT. 

Dear Devotees,

Sri Bhagwan has taught that if one concentrates on different centres, such as, brain, the space between the eyebrows, the tip of the nose, the tip of the tongue, chakras, etc., such concentration may lead to a sort of ‘laya’ or ‘lulling’ in which one may feel a certain bliss, but Sri Bhagwan cautions that care must be taken not to lose   THE  THOUGHT  OF  ‘I  AM’  IN  ALL  THIS.  WE  NEVER  CEASE  TO  EXIST  IN  ALL  THESE  EXPEREINCES.  We must always remember that there is always a ‘you’ or ‘I’ to concentrate on, there must be always a ‘you’ or ‘I’ to experience, there must always be a ‘you’ or ‘I’ to  do sadhana,  AND  SRI  BHAGWAN  HAS  TAUGHT  THAT  “THAT  IS  WHAT  YOU  MUST  CONCENTRATE   ON”.   

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3494 on: October 20, 2013, 06:47:48 PM »
Devotee: Swami, this unreal self is obliged to travel owing to the exigencies of work. I pray that You may be pleased to recommend that this unreal self be merged into the Real Self.

Sri Bhagwan, smiling, replied: Such a recommendation might be necessary where there are a number of different selves—one to ask for a recommendation, one to recommend and one to hear the recommendation. But there are not so many selves. There is only one Self. Everything is in the One Self.
Letters from Sri Ramanasramam

Pranam,
  Anil