Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 758890 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #3450 on: October 06, 2013, 02:38:00 PM »
Sri Bhagwan:  Mind—mind what is it? It is a mixture of Chit (Intelligence) and sankalpas (thoughts). Therefore it forms all these—the mirror, light, darkness and the reflections.
D: But I do not see it.
Sri Bhagwan: CHIDAKASA (Chit-ether) is Pure Knowledge only, It is the Source of mind. Just at rhe moment of rising up, the mind is only the light; only afterwards the thought “I am this body” rises up; this ‘I-thought’ forms the jiva and the world.
The first light is the Pure Mind, the Mind-ether or Isvara. Its modes manifest as objects. Because it contains all these objects within itself it is called the mind-ether. Why ether? Like ether containing objects it contains the thoughts, therefore it is the mind-ether.
Again, just as the physical ether though accommodating all the gross objects 9the whole universe0 is itself the content of the mind-ether, so also the latter (the mind-ether) is itself the content of the Chit-ether. THE  LAST  ONE  IS  CHIT  ITSELF.  THERE  ARE  NO  THINGS  CONTAINED  IN  IT.  IT  REMAINS  AS  PURE  KNOWLEDGE  ONLY. 
D: Why call it ether? Physical ether is not sentient.
Sri Bhagwan : Ether denotes not only the insentient physical ether but also Pure Knowledge. Knowledge does not consist in knowing objects: THIS  IS  RELATIVE  KNOWLEDGE.  BUT  KNOWLEDGE  IN  ITS  PURITY  REMAINS  ALL  ALONE,  ONE,  UNIQUE,  TRANSCENDENT  LIGHT!
Talk—589

Dear Devotees,

Sri Bhagwan has taught that on Realisation of the Self, the reflection and the surface on which reflection takes place are revealed to be non-existent and the reflection and the surface are found to be the same Chit or Knowledge or Consciousness.   
It is rather strange that we are bewildered by seeing our own reflection. The reason for this is that we take the unreal reflection as Real and DO  NOT  KNOW  OUR  REAL  NATURE  AS  THE SELF  WELL ENOUGH  TO  EXPEREINCE  BLISS  OF  THE  ATMA-SWARUPA.
Sri Bhagwan has taught that we must cease to have a dualistic outlook towards the world which exists as the reflection of our own Swarupa, for the world and its creator the ‘I’-thought are not apart from the Self.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3451 on: October 06, 2013, 03:56:11 PM »
After supper the devotees rested on the mat spread on the floor of the Master’s room. They began to talk with Him. It was indeed a mart of joy. The Master asked Narendra to sing the song beginning with the line: “In Wisdom’s firmament the moon of Love is rising full.”
Sri Narendra sang, and other devotees played with drums and cymbals:

In Wisdom’s firmament the moon of Love is rising full,
And Love’s flood-tide, in surging waves, is flowing everywhwere.
O lord, how full of bliss Thou art! Victory unto Thee!

On every side shine devotees, like stars around the moon;
Their Friend, the Lord All-merciful, joyously plays with them.
Behold! the gates of paradise today are open wide.

The soft spring wind of the New day raises fresh waves of joy;
Gently it carries to the earth the fragrance of God’s Love,
Till all the yogis, drunk with bliss, are lost in ecstasy.

Upon the sea of the world unfolds the lotus of the New Day,
And there the Mother sits enshrined in blissful majesty.
See how the bees are mad with joy, sipping the nectar there!

Behold the Mother’s radiant face, which so enchants the heart
And captivates the universe! About Her Lotus Feet
Bands of ecstatic holy man are dancing in delight.

What matchless loveliness is Hers! What infinite content
Pervades the heart when She appears! O brothers, says Premdas,
I humbly beg of you, one and all, to sing the Mother’s praise!

Sri Ramakrishna sang and danced, and the devotees danced around Him.
The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna

Pranam,
  Anil         

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3452 on: October 07, 2013, 09:08:49 PM »
THE   MASTER’S   CALL   TO   FREEDOM

It needs high courage to receive Thy call
And leap responding to thy silver voice:
It needs proud wisdom to give up our all
And in a self-unprisonment rejoice.

We are in love with our unluminous
Flesh-dungeon; we have grown afraid of light.
Our fetters have become so dear to us
That we should not exchange them and our night—

For freedom and dawn. From age to age
The spirit has been captive in a cage.
Our misery, how shall we break the bars
And leap into wide heaven once again?
How shall we make our weak wings woo the stars
And rise out of this prisonment of pain?

We ask no mortal boon, we do not seek
Such earthly favours as but laugh for an hour.
Master! we do not hunger for unique Distinctions of
fame, of wealth or power.
We only beg the mastery to curb
Doubt to deep faith, unpublished and superb.
Sri Harindranath Cahttopadhyaya

Pranam,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3453 on: October 07, 2013, 09:10:34 PM »
Dear Devotees,

Sri Sadhu Arunachala (Major Sri A.W. Chadwick) is a very popular name among the devotees of Sri Bhagwan. Is it not? What follows is an excerpt from his article ‘’THERE IS NOTHING. BE!”, published in the ‘Golden Jubilee Souvenir, 1946’ :

And the philosophy of this greatest of Sages can be summed up in just three words “There is nothing.” So simple and yet so supremely difficult. “There is nothing.”  All this world that you see, this mad rush of people after money and ‘existence’ is just a fabricless thought. “There is nothing.” You as a personality, as a petty entity striving for your own selfish ends, ever seeking so-called “Self-realisation” are nothing. You are like the shadow of a leaf cast by the moonlight, intangible, unsubstantial, and in fact non-existent. And as the shadow is a purely negative phenomenon, is in fact nothing but a shutting out of light, so is the ego and everything else, (because everything follows in the train of the ego and is actually a part of it) only a shutting out of the light of the Self.
You may justly turn to me now and ask: “Who wants this purely negative state?”
To which I can only reply: “It is just a question of taste.” Though, note you, I have never suggested that Bhagwan ever says that the ultimate state after which, it is presumed, we are all striving is negative. On the contrary, when He says: “There is nothing,” it is obvious that He is speaking about our present egoistic existence, which for us is everything. But this being nothing there must obviously be a state which is something. That state is Self-realisation. Not only is it something but it is  EVERYTHING, and being everything then logically and philosophically it must be PERFECT.
………………..
……………….
“How then to obtain this perfect state? You may well ask, “How to empty our cups of rubbish?”
Bhagwan tells us just one other thing. He says; “Be”. Just be your real Self, that is all.
“Certainly it sounds all right,” you say, “but when one tries to do it, it does not seem so easy. Has He no method?”
Method! Well what exactly do you mean by method? Sitting on the floor and concentrating on the navel? Or blowing the wind out of alternative nostrils? Or repeating some incantation one crore eight times? No, He has not got any method. All these things are no doubt good in their way and help to prepare one, but Bhagwan doesn’t happen to teach them. That is all!
“Then what am I to do?”
You must “BE,” He says. And to be you must know the “I that is “. To know the “I that is”, just go on enquiring “Who am I?” Don’t take any notice of anything except the “I”, throw everything else away like a rubbish out of the cup. And when you have at last found the “I”, BE.

All talk, all empty words. “There is nothing” and that is the end of it. No method, nothing to discard, nothing to find. Nothing at all is except the “I”. Why worry about anything else? Just BE, now and always, as you were, as you are, and as you ever will be.

Pranam,
  Anil             

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3454 on: October 08, 2013, 07:58:06 PM »
SRI   RAMANA   MAHARSHI   THE   ALCHEMIST

What Maharshi knew at seventeen, we do not know at
seventy. Why?
Ah! We lack the fire; our hearts are cold and our
Heads are hard.
Alas! what shall we do?
Go to Maharshi? Yea; He’ll lend us fire, warm our hearts—
Now cold—and turn the stones in us into Gold.
That is Maharshi, the Alchemist

Him that Gods do praise
Men do not recognise:
--Nay, even crucify!
How long the world cared not for Him,
the Maharshi!
How few now too are they that care for Him?
They that ignore the Self
Woudn’t they ignore all else?
But then, God knows and cares,
Himself in Gita so declares.

Sri Girdharlal, Sri Aurobindo Ashram

Pranam,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3455 on: October 08, 2013, 07:59:53 PM »
Dear Devotees,

Sri Bhagwan has revealed that since Sattva Guna which is the constituent of nature and which makes for purity, intelligence, etc., is of the nature of mind, Sattva Mind is pure and undefiled like ether. Since the Sattva Mind is pure and undefiled like ether, in truth, it is of the nature of Knowledge. SRI  BHAGWAN  HAS  ENLIGHTENED  US  THAT  WHEN  THE  SATTVA  MIND  STAYS  IN  ITS  NATURAL  STATE ,  IT  HAS  NOT  EVEN  THE  NAME   MIND. It is only the erroneous knowledge which mistakes one for the other that is called mind.

Sri Bhagwan has taught that what was originally the Pure Sattva Mind, of the Nature of Pure Knowledge, forgets Its Knowledge-nature on account of nescience, gets transformed into the world under the influence of tamoguna, that is, the constituent of prakriti which makes for dullness, inertness, etc., being under the influence of rajoguna which makes for activity, passions, etc., imagines ‘I am the body, etc., acquires the consequent merit and demerit through attachment, aversion, etc., and, through residual impressions or vasanas thereof, attains birth and death.

Therefore, the mind must get rid of its defilement. Since the Supreme Being or Brahman abides as the Self, Sri Bhagwan taught that the constant surrender of the mind by absorption in the Self was said to comprise all forms of worship. Such being the Reality, how can we be heedless of our own All-perfect and Pure Self? NEVER  TO  BE  HEEDLESS  AND  FORGETFUL  OF  OUR  OWN  PURE  SELF  IS  THE  ACME  OF  YOGA. We are certain that this body is not ‘I’. Then “Who am I?”

Sri Bhagwan : FIXING  THE  MIND  ON  THE  SELF  OR  THE  ‘I’  ABIDING  IN  THE  HEART  IS  THE  PERFECTION  OF  YOGA,  MEDITATION,  JAPA  AND   WORSHIP.   THIS  IS  THE  CLEAREST  EXPOSITION  OF  THE  ALL-COMPREHENSIVE  CHARACTER  OF  SELF-ENQUIRY.

Q: If it is true that the jiva has forgotten itself, how does the ‘I’-experience arise for all?

Sri Bhagwan : The veil does not completely hide the jiva; it only hides the Self-nature of ‘I’ and projects the I-am-the –body notion; but it does not hide the Self’s Existence which is ‘I’, and which is real and eternal.

Pranam,
  Anil 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3456 on: October 08, 2013, 08:51:23 PM »
Dear devotees, the passage “Sri Bhagwan : FIXING THE MIND ON THE SELF OR THE ‘I’ ABIDING IN THE HEART IS THE PERFECTION OF YOGA, MEDITATION, JAPA AND WORSHIP. THIS IS THE CLEAREST EXPOSITION OF THE ALL-COMPREHENSIVE CHARACTER OF SELF-ENQUIRY.” should read as follows:

“Sri Bhagwan : FIXING THE MIND ON THE SELF OR THE ‘I’ ABIDING IN THE HEART IS THE PERFECTION OF YOGA, MEDITATION, JAPA AND WORSHIP.”

“Dear devotees,  THIS  IS  THE  CLEAREST  EXPOSITION  OF  ALL-COMPREHENSIVE  NATURE  OF  SELF-ENQUIRY. Is it not?”

Pranam,
  Anil

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3457 on: October 09, 2013, 06:23:01 AM »
Dear Sri Anil,

How beautiful poem about Bhagavan,calling Him the Alchemist! He indeed Is the Alchemist,the purest gold,He Himself,turning us all into gold indeed. Even with just one glance,with just one look,with those beautiful and piercing eyes of Grace. Who can comprehend that beauty,that power of our Sadguru,our God...

Thank You so much for sharing this poem,and all others,which I did'nt had chance to read before! And for such enlighting posts You write dayly,dear friend.

With love and prayers,

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
« Reply #3458 on: October 09, 2013, 10:57:43 AM »
Anil Ji Wrote :All talk, all empty words. “There is nothing” and that is the end of it. '

So true... Heart-talk is all talk...

Somerset Maugham, a well-known English author, was on a visit to Sri Bhagavan. He also went to see Maj. Chadwick in his room and there he suddenly became unconscious. Maj. Chadwick requested Sri Bhagavan to see him. Sri Bhagavan went into the room, took a seat and gazed on Mr. Maugham. (Part 1 From Talk 550).
Somerset Maugham regained his senses and saluted Bhagavan. They remained silent and sat facing each other for nearly an hour. The author attempted to ask questions but did not speak. Maj. Chadwick encouraged him to ask. Sri Bhagavan said, “All finished. Heart-talk is all talk. All talk must end in silence only.” They smiled and Sri Bhagavan left the room. (Part 2 From Talk 550).
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 10:59:33 AM by sanjaya_ganesh »
Salutations to Bhagawan

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #3459 on: October 09, 2013, 12:47:04 PM »
HOW TO DEAL WITH RESTLESSNESS

D.: How is restlessness removed from the mind? M.: External contacts - contacts with objects other than itself - make the mind restless. Loss of interest in non-Self, (vairagya) is the first step. Then the habits of introspection and concentration follow. They are characterized by control of external senses, internal faculties, ending in samadhi (undistracted mind). D.: How are they practised?

M.: An examination of the ephemeral nature of external phenomena leads to vairagya. Hence enquiry (vichara) is the first and foremost step to be taken. When vichara continues automatically, it results in a contempt for wealth, fame, ease, pleasure, etc. The ‘I’ thought becomes clearer for inspection. The source of ‘I’ is the Heart - the final goal. If, however, the aspirant is not temperamentally suited to Vichara Marga, to the introspective analytical method, he must develop bhakti, devotion to an ideal - may be God, Guru, humanity in general, ethical laws, or even the idea of beauty. When one of these takes possession of the individual, other attachments grow weaker, i.e., dispassion (vairagya) develops. Attachment for the ideal simultaneously grows and finally holds the field. Thus ekagrata (concentration) grows simultaneously and imperceptibly - with or without visions and direct aids. Talks with Sri Ramana Maharshi nos 26 and 27
Om Namo Bagavathe Sri Ramanaya

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3460 on: October 09, 2013, 02:40:28 PM »
Quote from Sri Jewell:
“How beautiful poem about Bhagavan, calling Him the Alchemist! He indeed Is the Alchemist,  purest gold, He Himself, turning us all into gold indeed. Even with just one glance, with just one look, with those beautiful and piercing eyes of Grace. Who can comprehend that beauty, that power of our Sadguru, our God...”

Dear Sri Jewell,

Yes. Indeed, He is the Supreme Alchemist. And we do not at all require any testimony, for we ourselves are testimonials.

Dear friend, Sri Jewell, I cherish heartfelt love and devotion for Sri Bhagwan expressed wonderfully in poems composed by His adoring devotees. For example, what follows is an acrostic, that is, each line commences with the letters in Sri Bhagwan’s Name, BHAGWAN SRI RAMANA MAHARSHI, sequentially, thus:

BHAGWAN  SRI  RAMANA  MAHARSHI 

B for Bliss of the Beyond,
H for Holiness of the Heart,
A for Abode of the Absolute,
G for Glory of the Great,
A for All-ness of the All,
V for Vision of the Verity,
A for Action of the Accomplished,
N for Nectar of the Naked.

S for Self of the self,
R for Radiance of the Real,
I for Immortality of the Immuatable.

R for Rhythm of Revelation,
A for Abundance of the Almighty,
M for Mystery of the Marvellous,
A for Annihilation of ahankar,
N for Negation of nescience,
A for Assertion of the Atman.

M for Manifestation of the Most High,
A for Alertness of the awakened,
H for Humility of the Heroic,
A for Attestation of Antiquity,
R for Resplendence of Realisation,
S for Silence of the Supreme,
H for Harmony of Heaven,
I for Illumination of the Incomprehensible.
Sri Rajeswarananda

Dear friend, Sri Jewell, last hundred days after the onset of monsoon in Bihar have been very difficult for me as I found rather stretched to fulfil my heartfelt wish to continue to post at least one post daily as part of my sadhana. That period, however, now, is coming to an end with the return of normalcy, and I hope to continue to attend to the forum and interact with members and share our views and experiences to the mutual benefit of us all.

Thanks very much, my dear friend, Sri Jewell.
Pranam,
  Anil     

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3461 on: October 09, 2013, 02:42:23 PM »
Quote from Sri Sanjay:
“So true... Heart-talk is all talk...”
…………
…………

“Sri Bhagavan said, “All finished. Heart-talk is all talk. All talk must end in silence only.” They smiled and Sri Bhagavan left the room. (Part 2 From”

Dear Sri Sanjay,

Yes, thanks very much, dear friend. I have read this episode of Sri Somerset Maugham’s coming to Sri Ramanasramam and seeing Sri Bhagwan. YES, ALL TALK MUST END IN ITS SOURCE, THAT IS, THE SILENCE OF THE SELF. HEART-TALK IS THE PERRENIAL SPEECH IN SILENCE WHICH IS PURE ELOQUENCE. When late Sri Rajendra Prasad, the First President of India, visited Sri Ramanasramam and asked Sri Bhagwan, “Mahatma Gandhi has sent me to the Maharshi. Is there any message that I can take to him?”, Sri Bhagwan is said to have replied, “What message is needed when heart speaks to heart? It is the same Sakti which is working there also.”

Dear friend, Sri Sanjay, I just saw your new topic ‘Solitude and Self-enquiry’ and became very happy, for I always wished that another thread pertaining to Self-enquiry should be opened by an earnest seeker and devotee of Sri Bhagwan under the section ‘The Teaching of  Bhagwan Sri Ramana’. This is because I have always felt that the Self-enquiry must have the pride of place among spiritual practices and needs to be put on the pedestal. We all can discern that the practitioners of the spiritual path, and particularly the path of Self-enquiry, are, more often than not, prone to stray and swerve away from it due to their predispositions, inclination and propensities. We may have some lofty and laudable aims and notions, such as, charity or helping others, etc., or visiting ashrams and Gurus. But Sri Bhagwan has taught unambiguously that THEY MAY CERATAILY BE LAUDABLE BUT NO ONE CAN REALLY HELP OTHERS WITHOUT KNOWING ONESELF FIRST. It follows that we must first put our own house in order before embarking on to set others’ houses in order. WE MUST FIRST TRY TO KNOW WHO WE REALLY ARE. ARE WE JUST THIS HUMAN BODY MADE OF BONE, FLESH AND BLOOD?

Dear Sri Sanjay, I hope you would continue your new thread on Enquiry so that it may provide space to those who pursue Vichara and seeking a forum where they can interact and exchange views on Sri Bhagwan’s Teaching and share their visions and experiences. I also hope to participate in it when it is appropriate and when I wish to respond.

Thanks very much, dear Sri Sanjay.
Pranam,
  Anil 

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
« Reply #3462 on: October 09, 2013, 02:50:41 PM »
Dear Anil Ji

Thank you. I had no grand plans when I opened that thread - Bhagawan willing. So kindly please feel free to pitch in and enrich that thread with your words as conveyed by Bhagawan. I dont even know what and when and how often I will post there - Bhagawan will decide I am sure.

Sanjay.
Salutations to Bhagawan

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3463 on: October 09, 2013, 07:55:34 PM »
Dear Sri Anil,

How beautiful poem dedicated to our Guru,with the letters of His Glorious name! Is there is anything which can be added?!! It is All Bhagavan in reality truly is...

Thank You,my dear friend!

I am happy that difficult time is over for people which are affected with flood,and for You and all people engaged in work with it. And happy You will spend more time with us soon!

With love and prayers,
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 07:58:29 PM by Jewell »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3464 on: October 12, 2013, 02:13:29 PM »
Quote from Sri Balaji:
“D.: How is restlessness removed from the mind?
 M.: External contacts - contacts with objects other than itself - make the mind restless. Loss of interest in non-Self, (vairagya) is the first step. Then the habits of introspection and concentration follow. They are characterized by control of external senses, internal faculties, ending in samadhi (undistracted mind).
D.: How are they practised?

M.: An examination of the ephemeral nature of external phenomena leads to vairagya. Hence enquiry (vichara) is the first and foremost step to be taken. When vichara continues automatically, it results in a contempt for wealth, fame, ease, pleasure, etc. The ‘I’ thought becomes clearer for inspection. The source of ‘I’ is the Heart - the final goal.”

Dear Sri Balaji,

Yes. Sri Bhagwan’s Teaching on vairagya is profound. Thanks very much.

Sri Bhagwan has taught that the contact with objects other than itself makes the mind restless. Objects are mere thoughts. Therefore, it follows that as and when thoughts rise, we should annihilate them then and there in their very place of rising through Enquiry. NOT   ATTENDING   TO  WHAT  IS  OTHER  IS  VAIRAGYA  OR  NON-ATTACHMENT. Thus, the evil should be nipped in the bud or crushed in the germ itself. Dear friend, can a person with deep attachment do that?  Sri Bhagwan has taught that dispassion must be very strong to do that.  EAGERNESS  TO  DO  IT  MUST  BE  EQUAL  TO  THAT  OF  A  MAN  KEPT  UNDER  WATER  TRYING  TO  RISE  UP  TO  THE  SURFACE  OF  THE  WATER  FOR  LIFE.   

Sri Bhagwan : Drawing in the thoughts, restraining them and preventing them from going outwards is called VAIRAGYA. Fixing them in the Self is sadhana or abhyasa (Day By Day with Bhagwan).

Dear Sri Balaji, if the Goal is Self-realisation, we must push the Vairagya to the point of killing the ego. Mind tends to go out on account of its old habits of looking for happiness outside oneself. Therefore the firm knowledge that the external objects are not the cause of happiness will keep it in check. This is Vairagya or dispassion which makes the mind steady to pursue Enquiry and turn the mind inwards as soon as it tends to go outwards with the rise of thoughts. Just as a pearl-diver ties a stone to his waist, dives into the sea and takes the pearl lying at the bottom, so also, we should dive deep within ourselves with Vairagya or Non-attachment (Vairagya of the seekers is the stone of the pearl-divers), and attain the Pearl of the Self.

Therefore, in my view, Vairagya should not be misunderstood. Sri Bhagwan has taught that Practice and Dispassion both are necessary. VAIRAGYA  IS  THE  ABSENCE  OF  DIFFUSED  THOUGHTS  AND  PRACTICE  IS  CONCENTRATION  ON  ONE  THOUGHT  ONLY (SELF-ATTENTION  IF  THE  PATH  IS  SELF-ENQUIRY).

Sri Bhagwan : To discriminate between the pain-producing and pleasure-producing matters and to confine oneself to the happiness-producing pursuit only is Vairagya.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil