Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 756249 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #3435 on: September 28, 2013, 02:40:36 PM »
Quote from Sri Ramanaduli:
“Ultimately it is His grace someone gets through all odds and stays untouched by nothing.
They say GURU ARULUM THRU ARULUM VENDUM.”

Dear Sri Ramanaduli,

Yes. This is certainly true.  The most essential point to always remember is that one should have no doubt in His Grace.  I am sure that if we, thinking about Him, take one step towards Sri Bhagwan, in response, He, who is infinitely more kind than any worldly relative, thinking of us, takes thousand steps towards us and accepts us. SUCH IS THE GREATNESS OF HIS GRACE.

Question: Does God or the Guru any solicitude for me?
Sri Bhagwan: If you seek either—they are really not two but one and identical—rest assured that they are seeking you with a solicitude greater than you can ever imagine.

Dear Sri Ramanduli, you must be aware of Sri Bhagwan’s Assurance that like a deer caught in the jaws of a tiger , those who are trapped by the Sadguru’s Glance of Grace will never be abandoned. So, what is our duty? WE  SHOULD  FOLLOW  WITHOUT  FAIL  THE  PATH  REVEALED  AND  SHOWN  BY  THE  GURU  AND  MERGE  OR  RESOLVE  OUR  MIND  IN  THE  RADIANCE  OF  THE  GURU’S  FEET  AND  BE. This alone is our duty.

Dear Sri Ramanaduli, Sri Bhagwan’s devotees are aware of His often repeated Utterance that Guru or God’s Grace is always flowing. There is no time at which it is not flowing, and no person towards whom it is not flowing. But only those can receive It who have developed the capacity to receive. Although Vichara or Surrender or Devotion is a condition precedent, not for the flowing of Grace from God or the Guru, but for our being able to receive and assimilate the Grace which is there ever flowing. Is it not?

Dear Sri Ramanaduli, we must remove the impurities or vasanas in the mind by practicing the Enquiry ‘Who am I?’ resolutely.  If we grind the mind repeatedly, that is,  RUB  THE  MIND  RELENTLESSLY  AGAINST  THE  GRINDING  STONE  OF  ‘I  AM’, the Light of the Self flares up within and we are merged in the Grace  FOR  OUR  OWN  REAL  SELF,  OR  THE  SWARUPA,  IS  THE  GRACE  SUPREME.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil           

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3436 on: September 28, 2013, 03:00:54 PM »
The line “Although Vichara or Surrender or Devotion is a condition precedent, not for the flowing of Grace from God or the Guru, but for our being able to receive and assimilate the Grace which is there ever flowing.”  in my previous post should read:

“Although Vichara or Surrender or Devotion is a condition precedent, it is not for the flowing of Grace from God or the Guru, but for our being able to receive and assimilate the Grace which is there ever flowing.”

Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3437 on: September 28, 2013, 05:20:57 PM »
Neither judgement nor love You teach—
For there is NO OTHER  to judge or love,
No boon to ask, no door to knock;
And all good things will come unsought
Like leaves and flowers to a tree in spring
When Viveka wide awake
Turns inward, enquiring  ‘Who am I?”
And undeluded by darkness and death
Sees only the Bright, Immortal Self,
The Being whose nature is Knowledge and Bliss.

Those who practice Your Presence lose
Their ephemeral ego, and find
In You the Goal and the Way; and proceed—
Like trustful pilgrims on a train—
Fortified by the heavenly viaticum
Of Your Forty Verses on Truth—
Unresting, unhasting, in calm content
Along the Jiva’s joyous journey
From the many, tinted, peripheral points
To the one white seminal core
Of the single, complex sphere of existence;
From the partial life to Immortal Perfection,
From samsara to Sat-Chit-Ananda.

O God Without, Guru of Grace
Who guides us so well to God within,
Blessed the eye, the mind, the heart
Surrendered to Your sovereign sway.

Rock of Faith, O Dawn of Hope,
Child of Charity, Holy Sage,
O Silent Presence on the Mount,
O Tiger with burning eyes!
You have sought us, and You have caught us;
Forsake us not; consume us quite;
Sri Ramana of Aruna.

From the Poem ‘Sri Ramana, the Self Supreme’ by Sri K. Swaminathan

Pranam,
   Anil 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3438 on: September 28, 2013, 08:01:14 PM »
THE flute of the Infinite is played
without ceasing, and its sound is
love : When love renounces all limits, it
reaches truth. How widely the fragrance spreads !
It has no end, nothing stands in
its way. The form of this melody is bright
like a million suns : incomparably
sounds the vina, the vina of the
notes of Truth.

Sage Sri Kabir

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3439 on: September 29, 2013, 02:32:10 PM »
Sri Bhagwan: The conception that there is a goal and a path to it, is wrong. We are the goal or peace always. To get rid of the notion that we are not peace is all that is required.

Dear Devotees,

Thus, Sri Bhagwan has taught that all we have to do is to remove the notion that we have not realised. We are always the Self. Only, we are not realising That which Is, and real-ising that which is not.  So, a mere notion is ruining the Peace that we always are.

Sri Bhagwan has explained that the Self is the only Reality that exists always whether we attend to and concentrate on It or not. The Light in the hall burns whether the persons are present there or they are absent, whether persons are enacting something as in a theatre or nothing is being enacted. As it is the light that enables us to see in the hall, the persons and their acting, similarly, likewise, It is the Self, the Existence Itself, by Whose Light all other things are being seen. BUT  WE  ARE  OBLIVIOUS  OF  OUR  OWN  REAL  EXISTENCE  (SELF  OR  THE  SWARUPA)  AND CONCENTRATING ON  MERE  EPHEMERAL  APPEARANCES  WHICH  DO NOT  EXIST AND HAVE NO BEING WHATEVER.  We are so deeply engrossed and have enmeshed ourselves in ephemeral appearances and illusory objects which though are revealed by the Light of the Self (WE or I), we pay no attention to It, though we have Its inkling, ever persisting. Water is in manifestation as moisture on the surface. Similarly, ‘aham vritti’ or ‘I’-ness or ‘I am’-ness  is the one irreducible and primary datum of all our experiences whatsoever and  THEREFORE  SEEKING  ITS  SOURCE  IS  THE  ONLY  PRACTICABLE COURSE  WE  CAN  ADOPT  TO  REALISE  THE  SWARUPA.

Dear devotees, things seem to appear in the waking and dream states alone. Do they not? And in the sleep state we see nothing. But we intuitively know that the Light of the Consciousness of the Self or the Sawrupa is always there, ever present, as the light in the hall is always burning, like the shruti note in a musical performance.

It follows from above therefore that the most practicable thing to do is to pay attention and concentrate on the seer and not on the seen, not on the objects,  BUT  ON  THE  LIGHT  WHICH  REVEALS  THEM.
Therefore, the fundamental Mantra, not to chant, but to practice, to do ‘upasana’ is:  SEE THAT WHICH SEES.

Pranam,
  Anil 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3440 on: September 30, 2013, 07:01:16 PM »
WHY  WE  COME  TO  THE  SAGE  SRI  RAMANA

Can we, Sage, ever give a name
To the Self that in our depths we want?
Can we, Fate’s puppets, own to shame
Because we are so ignorant?

Not knowing of life’s goal supreme
We thrill in Vanity’s displays,
With tongue deny the heart-lit Gleam!
When have fools worshipped Wisdom’s ways?

In such an age of darkness Thou
Art come to meet us with Thy Light
Inscrutable—which is Thy plough
Wherewith wilt Thou disturb our Night

Of make-believes and vanities
And sow the seeds of ultimate Sight!
We say ‘tis mad, yet bend our knees
To Thee, and, awed by Thy lone height, 

We sing: “Truth wins to victory
 Through aspirations hopeless climb;
Life’s din melts in soul’s symphony
Through disciplines which seldom rhyme

With Reason’s feeble yes and no
Or weakling safety’s whispers;
Only strong faith may take in tow
The storm tossed mind’s imaginings.’

We, life’s dupes, tremble when comes Thy
Unfaltering courage to tell us this
That the ego achieves white harmony
When it leaves concupiscence for bliss.

Yet the blue of bliss we crave, when dark
Looms this our world of chains and bars
And then our gloom implores Thy Spark
That burns the clouds, unveiling stars.
Sri Dilip Kumar Roy, the Musician

Pranam,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3441 on: September 30, 2013, 07:03:05 PM »
Devotee: Swamiji! One has to meditate in order to enquire about his self. When I sit for meditation, I go to sleep. What can I do? Is there any way out?

Sri Bhagwan : First learn to be awake when you are in the wakeful state. Then we can think of the sleeping state. We dream of many things even when we are awake. We must learn to guard ourselves against them in our waking state. All that we see about us is a dream. We should wake up from this dream world.

Jnanis  declare that both the waking and dream states are the creation of the confusing mind. One should conclude that in both dream and waking, association with thoughts and names-and –forms is the same.
V. 555, GVK

The confusing waking and dream states do not appear except when one gets immersed in the stupor of ignorance.
Padamalai

Pranam,
  Anil 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3442 on: October 02, 2013, 02:08:55 PM »
        TO  SRI  RAMANA  MAHARSHI

A face that’s still like silent cloudless blue,
And eyes even as stars drip holiness
Won from a Source beyond our ken—a new,
Messenger Thou, in this age, of a Grace

Men ache for and, withal, are terrified
When it shines near—wan puppets of fool senses,
They would disown the soul’s faith—even deride
The peace they crave yet fear—for Life’s false dances

And siren rhythms beguile the multitude!
And there they woo Time’s whirls and wheels—for what?
At best a reeling moment—and interlude
Of half-lit laughter dogged by tears—of Fate!

O Son of Dawn! Who only knowest the Sun,
And through His eyes of Light see’st all that lies
Revealed—a flawless Plenitude which none
But Sun’s own children ever might surmise!

For only the chosen few so far have won
The Truth that shines beyond world’s wounds and cries;
Who see Thee, throned in the high dominion
Of Self’s invulnerable Verities.

Enjoy a glimpse of Bliss of the Beyond,
Thou singest: “Nay, ‘tis here”—yet without Thy
Lone sight-born pledge—how few would understand!
Homage to Thee, O   BARD   OF  CLARITY!
Sri Dilip Kumar Roy, the Musician

Pranam,
  Anil   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3443 on: October 02, 2013, 02:11:30 PM »
Dear Devotees,

Bhagwan Sri Ramana has taught that the meditation is, truly speaking, Atmanishtha, that is, to be fixed as the Swarupa or the Self. But when thoughts cross the mind and an effort is made to eliminate them, this effort is usually termed as mediation. We are the Self. Therefore, Atmanishtha, that is, remaining fixed as the Self or the Swarupa is, in truth, nothing but REMAINING AS WE ARE.  HENCE THE TEACHING: BE AS YOU ARE. That is the AIM.

Dear devotees, it is for this reason that Sri Bhagwan always turned the attention of the questioner on to himself:

Q: Please say how I shall realise the ‘I’. Am I to make the japa ‘Who am I?’
Sri Bhagwan : No japa of the kind is meant.
Q: Am I to think ‘Who am I?’
Sri Bhagwan : You have known that the ‘I’-thought springs forth. Hold the ‘I’-thought and find its Moola (Source).
Q: May I know the way?
Sri Bhagwan : Do as you have been told and see.
Q: I do not understand what I should do.
Sri Bhagwan : If it is anything objective the way can be shown objectively. This is subjective.
Q: But I do not understand.
Sri Bhagwan:   WHAT!  DO   YOU     NOT    UNDERSTAND   THAT   YOU   ARE ?
Q: Please tell me the way.
Sri Bhagwan :  IS  IT  NECESSARY  TO  SHOW  THE  WAY  IN  THE  INTERIOR  OF  YOUR  OWN  HOME?   THIS   IS   WITHIN   YOU.

Dear devotees, I am aware from the discussion and expression in the forum that members here UNDERSTAND THAT WE ARE. DO WE NOT? Sri Bhagwan has taught that the Self is Self-luminous without darkness and light. It is the Sat, or the Being, or the Existence Itself which is Self-manifest whether the ‘I’-thought and other thoughts are there or not. So, naturally, we are not supposed to think of the Self as this or that objectively. Sri Bhagwan has taught unambiguously that the very thought of thinking will end in bondage. Sri Bhagwan has taught that in the middle of the Heart-cave the Pure Brahman is directly manifest as the Self in the form ‘I-I’. Therefore, it is, in truth, sheer ignorance to think of the Self in manifold ways without knowing It as aforementioned. HOW WILL WE KNOW THE SELF AS AFOREMENTIONED ?   WHY?  WHEN   WE   CLING   TO   THE  ‘I’-CONSCIOUSNESS   IN   SELF-ATTENTION,   THE  MIND   TAKES   THE   FORM   OF   THE   SELF,  EXPEREINTIALLY,   AND  NOT  BY  WAY  OF  THINKING,  OR  SUGGESTION,  OR  CONCEPTS,  OR  THOUGHTS.  THIS  ALONE  IS  THE  REAL  PURPORT  OF  ENQUIRY  OR  MEDITATION  AS  TAUGHT  BY  BHAGWAN  SRI  RAMANA.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil       

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3444 on: October 04, 2013, 07:20:55 PM »
            TO  BEHOLD  BHAGWAN
               THE  LORD  OF  LOVE

Oh Lord of Love, Who dwells within my heart!
May I sing Thy Praise through all Eternity,
Thou, the Adorable One, the All-compassionate,
Whose Loving smile illumines all the world,
Who art tender as a mother and strong as a father,
Thou, whose sublime life is an inspiring sermon
Fill me with Thy Presence, Beloved master, with the
Nectar of Thy Grace;
May Thy great Love and Light fill my heart to the full.
Resting secure in Thy Presence
And knowing whence cometh Peace,
Guidance and Strength,
May I always listen; for, in the Silence
I hear Thy Voice,—
The Voice of God.

Sri Eleanor Pauline Noye

Pranam,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3445 on: October 04, 2013, 07:22:58 PM »
Dear devotees,

Following two passages have been take from an article ‘EASY TO REMEMBER, IMPOSSIBLE TO KNOW’ written by a devotee named Sri C. S. Bagi:

“How can the subject know exactly what the object is in itself, when he does not know himself? How dare he presume that what he knows of the object is really true? The Self is nearer to him than any object he may see or investigate into; without himself there is no object for him to see or investigate. How then dare he ignore himself, the subject, and try to know about the object?”

“Man is not the conception he creates of himself. Nor is the world what he thinks it to be; it is monumental lie, and if he runs after it he belies his true nature. Man as Man is but the Perfection of Truth. But when he identifies himself with the body and the rubbish of the world, he becomes a MONUMENTAL  LIE,  ASSIDUOUSLY  BUILT,  AND  VAINLY  SUSTAINED.  Let him, then give up the world and its riches, take up the quest for the ‘I’, the eternal Treasure within. Let him unlearn what he has so painfully learnt, and learn afresh That which is his without learning. Truly, the Good Shepherd had learnt more than what all the learnedness of the libraries could teach. Oh, what does it profit man if he gains all the world but has lost his soul? Not all his learning and wit avail him to know who he is unless he ceaselessly brushes aside his thousand and one thought-processes and pursues the   SOLITARY  NEEDLE-POINTED  QUEST  OF  “WHO AM I?””

Pranam,
  Anil 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3446 on: October 05, 2013, 01:32:32 PM »
WITH  SRI  RAMANA  OF  ARUNACHALA

I’ve wandered far: yes I have been
From land to land to land:
Sages I have seen, great king and queen,
The lowly, wise and grand.

But only there,—at the Asramam
By Arunachalam,—
Have I known that joy without alloy,
I am ! I am ! I am!
Sri Grant Duff

Pranam,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3447 on: October 05, 2013, 03:39:06 PM »
Those people who lack consciousness of being, the natural light [I am], and who consequently come, through ignorance, under the spell of karma and suffer, will have their delusion ended and reach the Self, the supreme reality, through meditation on a divine form that is dear to them.

V. 659, GVK

Unless the hard mind softens, melts and dissolves, what benefit will chanting [of devotional texts] bestow on the jiva?
Padamalai

Dear Devotees,

Sri Bhagwan has taught that one should not use the Name of God mechanically without the feeling of devotion. To use the name of God one must call upon Him with yearning and unreservedly surrender oneself to Him. Only after such surrender is the name of God constantly with the man.  So, if a man, being endowed with the divine temperament, adores God and meditates with love and     devotion on Him with a form, he will attain that same state which one attains meditating on Him as formless.

Similarly, Sri Bhagwan has taught that one should perform japa in one’s heart with TRUE LOVE until it becomes ajapa.
AJAPA  MEANS  ‘INVOLUNTARY  JAPA’.  IT  HAPPENS  WHEN  THE  WORD  OR  PHRASE  REPEATS  ITSELF  EFFORTLESSLY  IN  THE  MIND.

Sri Bhagwan:  You must go on repeating until the consciousness that you are doing it disappears. Then you realise that you are not repeating the mantra.  IN  THAT  STATE  MANTRA  REPEATS  ITSELF  WITHOIUT  YOUR  EFFORT. That is Sahaja Sthiti [the Natural State].

Dear devotees, Sri Bhagwan has revealed that:
THE  SELF  MANIFESTS  ITSELF  AS  ‘I’, ‘I’ IN THE HEART.
SINCE  THE  SELF  MANIFESTS  ITSELF  AS  ‘I’, ‘I’ IN THE HEART,  TRUE  AJAPA  IS  ‘I’,  ‘I’.

Sri Bhagwan has taught that the Self is by Itself always repeating ‘Aham, Aham’ or ‘I’, ‘I’. That is Ajapa. And to repeat merely by mouth is not Ajapa.

Sri Bhagwan: The vision of the Real Self which performs japa of its own accord involuntarily and in a never-ending stream, like the flowing down continuously of ghee, is Ajapa, Gayatri and everything.

However, Sri Bhagwan says that doing japa with the mouth is the means for purifying the mind. Sri Bhagwan says that as the japa is done repeatedly the effort ripens and sooner or later leads to the right path.

Nevertheless, Sri Bhagwan says in ‘Who am I?’ that:

“Just like pranayama, meditation on a form of God, repetition of sacred words and regulation of diet are mere aids for controlling the mind. Through meditation on a form of God and through the repetition of sacred words the mind becomes focussed on one point. An elephant’s trunk is always moving around, but when a chain is given to it to hold in its trunk, that elephant will go on its way, holding onto the chain instead of trying to catch other things with it. Similarly, when the mind, which is always wandering, is trained to hold onto any name or form of God, it will only cling to that. Because the mind branches out into innumerable thoughts, each thought becomes very weak. As thoughts subside more and more, one-pointedness  of mind is gained.   A  MIND  THAT  HAS  GAINED  STRENGTH   IN  THIS  WAY  WILL  EASILY  SUCCEED  IN  SELF-ENQUIRY.”

Therefore, dear devotees, ‘Loving God, yearning for Him and surrendering to Him unreservedly’ OR ‘Loving the Self and performing the Self-enquiry’, is the only WAY.

Pranam,
 Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3448 on: October 05, 2013, 07:20:32 PM »
Sri Ramakrishna Paramhamsa:
A man should have such fiery faith as to be able to say, ‘I have uttered the name of God; how can I be a sinner? Imagine a man repeating the Name of Hari day and night and at the same time saying that he is a sinner!
So saying Sri Ramakrishna became overwhelmed with divine ecstasy and sang:

If only I can pass away repeating Durga’s Name,
How canst Thou then, O Blessed One,
Withhold from me deliverance,
Wretched though I may be?
I may have stolen a drink of wine, or killed a child unborn,
Or slain a woman or a cow,
Or even caused a brahmin’s death;
But, though it all be true,
Nothing of this can make me feel the least uneasiness;
For through the power of thy sweet Name
My wretched soul may still aspire
Even to Brahmanhood.

He sang again:
Behold my Mother playing with siva, lost in an ecstasy of joy!
Drunk with a draught of celestial wine, She reels, and yet She
does not fall.
Erect she stands on Siva’s bosom, and the earth trembles under
 Her tread;
She and Her Lord are mad with frenzy, casting aside all fear and
shame!

Pundit Shashadhar was weeping. Vaishnavcharan, the musician, sang:

O tongue, always repeat the name of Mother Durga!
Who but your Mother Durga will save you in distress?
Thou art the heavens and the earth, and Thou the nether world;
From Thee have the twelve Gopalas and Hari and Siva sprung.
The ten Embodiments of Divine Sakti art Thou,
And Thou the ten Avatars: this time, save me thou must!
The moving and the unmoving, the gross and the subtle, art Thou;
Creation and preservation art Thou, and the last dissolution.
Thou art the Primal Root of this manifold universe;
The Mother of the three worlds, their only Saviour, art Thou;
Thou art the Sakti of all, and Thou Thine own Sakti, too.

As the Master listened to the last few lines, He went into an ecstatic mood.
The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna

Pranam,
  Anil 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3449 on: October 06, 2013, 01:11:28 PM »
      HEART’S  HOMAGE  TO  SRI  RAMANA

To Bhagwan Sri Ramana the sage of Arunachala,
In whom Lord Siva, the MAHA-GURU, shows Himself in truth
As light in the pure mirror of Shakthi, His own,—
To that incomparable Maharshi, the Father and Mother of all,
In whom Siva and the Goddess are ever united in Bliss,—
To that Sage, whose Presence  delights the heart,
And whose Leela is the wonder of all,—
To Him be offered mind, heart, body,—all creation!....
It’s often said, there’s nothing new
In this old world of ours, that history
Repeats itself in endless variations of the self-same tunes;
Yet, I say O Ramana! Thou art singing a new Melody;
For it’s the first time in the life of our so ancient earth,
That people of all races and all creeds
Are coming to the self-same Source to find the Truth;
For Hindus, Parsees, Buddhists, Jews,
And Christians, Muslims, Atheists, from all the world
Are flocking to Thy Feet, to pay their homage
In silence, or prostrations, as heart and custom teach;…
In spite of distance and of great sacrifice
They come drawn irresistibly,—they know not how ,–
By the magnet of Thy being, to which they bow
Their head, in which they plunge and lose themselves
To find themselves, O happy lot!...
If future generations will ask what was
The special Note of Ramana the Sage,
I shall reply: If any, it is certainty;
The certain safety of a Rock, unmoved,
Unchallenged in a storm-swept sea,
The immovable solidity of a Mountain
In an ever-wavering world of doctrines, and philosophies,
Yea, truly art Thou the sage of ‘Arunachala’!...
Swami Sri Ekarasa (Dr. G. H. Mess)

Dear Devotees, this is a very beautiful poem on Bhagwan Sri Ramana. ‘CERTAINTY’ certainly is the special Note of Sri Bhagwan’s Symphony. Sri Muruganar has said that the moment he set eyes on Sri Bhagwan who is the SUN OF SELF-AWARENESS, his eyes became blinded by the brilliance of His Form. And then he couldn’t see anything or anybody other than His Bhagwan.

“Wherever I look, all that I see is Padam, the light of the expanse of consciousness that never dims.”

“Padam opened my Heart in such a way that the exalted essence that could not be seen anywhere came to be seen everywhere.”
Padamalai 

Dear devotees, such is His Munificent Grace, that is, the Grace of God, that even brief glimpses that He bestows to His sincere and earnest devotees are enough to open door to Atma-swarupa or the Infinity,  FOR  HE  IS  THE  SUN  OF  THE  SELF-AWARENESS.

Pranam,
  Anil