Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 759094 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #3330 on: August 29, 2013, 04:19:54 PM »

Dear Anil.

Yes. Sri Bhagavan says in Upadesa Saram Verse 19:

Absorption in the heart of being,
Whence we sprang,
Is the path of action, of devotion,
Of union and of knowledge.

I consider this verse as essence of all of Sri Bhagavan's teachings.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3331 on: August 29, 2013, 08:00:57 PM »
Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

Ji. Yes. Thanks very much, sir. Verse 19 of the Upadesa Saram, in my view, at once, clears many doubts of the seekers regarding Path and Goal.
Sage Sri Thayumanavar sang:

“To say ‘I’ is false means ‘mine’ is also false.
To say ‘you’ is false means ‘yours’ is also false.
The state of being still is what I love.”

The Essence of the above song, as I understand, is the quintessence of both Bhakti and Jnana. Therefore, the Goal is the absorption in the ‘heart of being’ from where we sprang, that is, Oneself, that is, One ‘I’ Only, that is, the Self or the Swarupa.  What use keep talking about path? The best I feel is to pay the toll at the Toll Gate of ‘BEING STILL’ and  being absorbed and thus merged effortlessly in the heart of being, the Heart-centre, one remains as the Existence Whose Nature is Love or Bliss!

Pranam,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3332 on: August 30, 2013, 05:38:21 PM »
Wherefrom does this ‘I’-thought arise? If one enquires thus, it vanishes. This is the Self-enquiry.
V. 19, Upadesa Saram

Dear devotees, every one of us must be aware that Sri Bhagwan taught that the ego being non-existent non-entity, it vanishes when enquired, like the snake which vanishes when investigated.   It cannot sustain the Laser-like focus of the Enquiry, and hence, vanishes.  This is the Direct Method and the Supreme Path.  We must also remember that we have come to this sorrowful state of affairs due to non-enquiry only.

A conscious bliss ensues when one abides as the Self by enquiring “What is the true import of ‘I’ ?” This bliss is spontaneous, indestructible and limitless.
V. 29, Upadesa Saram

THE   SPARKLING   OF   TRUTH   DEVOID   OF   ‘I’   IS   THE   GREATEST    AUSTERITY   (TAPAS).   THIS   IS   THE   TEACHING   OF   SRI   RAMANA   BHAGWAN.
V. 30, Upadesa Saram

Dear devotees,  Sparkling or throbbing of ‘I’, the Goal, is possible only  when the ‘I’-thought or the ego, seeking the Source, is merged in It. This Sri Bhagwan taught, is the Essence of all Tapas and Sri Bhagwan’s Teaching.

We must come to recognise that the abidance in the Natural State as Pure Flame of Knowledge or Being-Consciousness alone matters  AND  THAT  SELF-ENQUIIRY  IS  THE  SIMPLEST  AND  THE  STRAIGHT  MEANS  FOR DISCOVERING  THIS  STATE.

Pranam,
  Anil

Note: Dear devotees, the river Ganges is in high spates from Allahabad to Farakka and is overtopping the embankments and flooding alarmingly rural areas as well as towns and cities and even posing danger to Patna, the capital of Bihar. The water level of the Sacred River has either crossed the highest ever level or touching that mark almost everywhere along the course. Therefore, my attendance in the forum will be sporadic for the time being. Anil   

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #3333 on: August 30, 2013, 05:51:39 PM »
Anil,
The work you are engaged in is quite crucial and beneficial to all those affected by flood.Wishing you the very Best.
Namaskar.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3334 on: September 01, 2013, 04:56:03 PM »
Sri Muruganar:
“Since sravana and manana, after a certain level, become an obstacle for nididhyasana, the sadhaka  should be aware of them at this level and reject them there.”

Dear Devotees,

After we reach a certain level, even sravana and manana become obstacle to nididhyasana.  AND  I  FEEL  THAT  AFTER  A  CERTAIN  LEVEL,  EVEN   INDULGENCE  IN  VAIN  ARGUMENT,  AND  MORE   OFTEN  THAN  NOT,  ARGUING  FOR  ARGUMENTS’S  SAKE,   IS  NOT  HEALTHY  FOR  THE  SPIRITUAL  PURSUIT. After all, why did Sri Bhagwan give us Brahamastram?   TOO   KILLL  THE   ONE   WHO   ARGUES:   YES,  AFTAR  ALL,  WHO  IS  ARGUING,  AND  WHY  AND  FOR  WHAT?  Who will get what?  We must remember that we all have, not for nothing, gathered at the Lotus Feet of the Sadguru of the Age.  Is His Teaching not enough? He Himself has said that there is nothing secret about His Teaching. Everything is written in books.  But Grace will manifest only when we enter earnestly the realm of sadhana and experience and become receptive to Grace and intuition by nididhyasana.

D: After crossing Omkara, where to merge?
Sri Bhagwan with a smile: Oh, is that so? Wherefrom did you come now? Where will you go? What is it you want to know? Who really are you?   If you first tell me who you are, you can question me about Omkar.
D: I do not know that even.
Sri Bhgwan: You know for certain that you are existent. How are you existent? Where really you were before? What exactly is your body? First find that out. When you know all that, you can ask me questions if you still have any doubts. Why should we worry where Omkara merges, and after it merges why worry about what comes next, when it ceases to exist. Where do you merge ultimately? How do you come back? If you first find out your state and your movements, we can think of the rest.

Sri Suri Nagamma writes that when Sri Bhagwan said all this, the devotee could not give any reply and so went away after bowing before Sri Bhagwan.
Yes, what other Brahmastram (divine weapon) is there, as potent and as unfailing as ‘Who are you?’, to  destroy the impostor, that is, the ego,  and restore the long, long forgotten Atma-swarupa, the Self?

Sri Suri Nagamma writes further:
You may ask,  “Who gave the name ‘Brahmastram’ to the stock reply of Sri Bhagwan, ‘Find out who you are?’.”  Two or three years back, when a sannyasi boasted about having read all books on religious matters and began asking Sri Bhagwan all sorts of questions, He repeatedly gave the same answers, ‘Find out who you are.’ When the sannyasi persisted in his  MEANINGLESS  QUESTIONS  AND  ARGUMENTS, Sri Bhagwan in a FIRM TONE  asked him, “You have been asking me so many questions and entering into so many arguments. Why don’t you reply to my questions and then argue?  WHO  ARE  YOU ?  FIRST  ANSWER  MY  QUESTION. Then I will give you a suitable reply. TELL   ME   FIRST   WHO   IT   IS   THAT  IS  ARGUING.” He could not reply and so went away.

Sri Nagamma writes:
Some time later, I developed this idea and wrote five verses on ‘Divya Astram’ and showed them to Sri Bhagwan, when He said, “Long ago when Nayana (Sri Ganapati Muni) was here, Kapali also used to be here. If they wanted to ask me anything, they would fold their hands first and say, ‘Swami, Sawami, if you will promise not to brandish your Brahmastram, I will ask a question.’ If during conversation the words ‘Who are you?’ escaped my lips, he used to say, ‘So you have fired your Brahamastram. What can I say?’ They called it Brahamastram and you are calling it ‘Divya Ashtram’.” After that, I too started using the word Brahamastram. REALLY,  WHO  IS  NOT  HUMBLED  BY  THAT  ASHTRAM?

Dear devotees, I feel that we must not be trapped in vain argument and counter argument, and instead, we must find out the one who argues and thus destroy our ghost-like worldly existence with the Divine Weapon that Sri Bhagwan conferred on us, cultivating and employing Sri Arjuna-like concentration.   

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3335 on: September 01, 2013, 05:11:52 PM »
Dear Anil,

Yes. It is Ganapati Muni who made this word Brahmastram very popular.  Before he starts a question he would tell:
Bhagavan, if you are not using Brahmastram, then I shall ask this question to you.

Arunachala "Siva. 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3336 on: September 02, 2013, 02:25:21 PM »
Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

Ji. Yes. Thanks very much, sir. In the ancient lore, Brahma gave Brahmastram to only a few godly and accomplished persons. Sri Bhagwan manufactured His own Brahmastram  and compassionately and munificently  gave it to whoever sought His Lotus Feet and yearned earnestly for Release from the limitation of the body and the mind.   

Pranam,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3337 on: September 02, 2013, 02:27:22 PM »
Q: Many people find self-enquiry very difficult. Even most of Bhagwan’s devotees seem to follow a bhakti path. If one cannot do enquiry successfully, should one first purify the mind with japa?
Sri Annamalai Swami: NO. If you have some interest in the path of self-enquiry you should follow it even if you feel that you are not very good at it. If you want to do self-enquiry effectively and properly you should stick to that method alone. Other methods may be good in their own right but they are not good as preparations for self-enquiry. If you are serious about becoming a good violin player, you take lessons from a good teacher and practice as much as you can. If you encounter some difficulties you don’t switch to the clarinet for a few months. You stay with your chosen instrument and keep practicing till you get it right.  THE   BEST   PREPARATION   FOR   SELF-ENQUIRY   IS   SELF-ENQUIRY.
Source: Living by the Words of Bhagwan

Dear Devotees,

Sri Bhagwan says in the free prose translation of the Vivekachudamani that in order to be qualified for enquiry into the Self, a man must have a powerful intellect and ability to seize the essential and reject the inessential besides the various qualities enumerated in scriptures. These are:
1. Discrimination between real and the unreal.
2. Disinclination to enjoy the fruits of one’s actions.
3. The six virtues: Tranquillity (sama), self-control (dama), withdrawal, forbearance, faith, and concentration on the Self.
4. Intense yearning for liberation.

Dear devotees, I wish to submit that FOR  AN  IN-TURNED   MIND ,  OR  FOR  THOSE  SEEKERS  WHO  FEEL  DRAWN  TO  SELF-ENQUIRY   AND  ARE  CAPABLE  OF  PRACTICING   IT,  IT  IMPLIES  THAT  THEY  HAVE   FINISHED  ALL  THE  PREPARATORY  PATHS  EITHER  IN  THIS  OR  PAST  BIRTHS.  Sri Bhagwan says  in ‘Day by Day’ that unless a person has finished (in this or previous births) the other paths, he will not pursue the Jana Path, and such a one need not bother himself that he has not done the various karmas prescribed by Sastras. But that does not mean that he should wilfully transgress the sastraic injunctions by doing things prohibited by them.

Sri Bhagwan : Regulation of life, such as getting up at a fixed hour, bathing, doing manana, japa, etc., observing ritual,  ALL  THIS  FOR  PEOPLE  WHO  DO  NOT  FEEL  DRAWN  TO  SELF-ENQUIRY  OR  ARE  NOT  CAPABLE  OF  IT.  BUT  FOR  THOSE  WHO  CAN  PRACTICE  THIS  METHOD   ALL  RULES  AND   DISCIPLINE   ARE   UNNECESSARY.

For instance, let us consider tranquillity (sama) and self-control (dama) as enumerated above under ‘six virtues’. What is sama? What is dama? Tranquility (sama) implies fixing the mind upon its target by meditating frequently on the imperfections of things and becoming dissatisfied with them. And self-control (dama) means controlling the outer and inner sense organs and fixing them in their respective centres. 

Dear devotees, yes, in scriptures, it has been said that one should cultivate one quality after another and thus prepare for the ULTIMATE   MOKASHA.  HOWEVER,   THERE  IS  NO  DOUBT  THAT  ALL  THE  ABOVE  QUALITIES  INCLUDING  SAMA  AND  DAMA  ARE  INCLUDED  IN  VICHARA  MARGA.

DEAR DEVOTEES,  SRI  BHAGWAN  HAS  TAUGHT  BEYOND  AN   IOTA  OF  DOUBT  THAT  FOR  THOSE  WHO  FOLLOW  THE  VICHARA  MARGA  THEIR  SADHANA  ITSELF  IS  QUITE  ENOUGH  FOR  ACQUIRING  ALL  THE  QUALITIES  THEY  NEED;  THEY  NEED  NOT  DO  ANYTHING  ELSE.

So, Sri Bhagwan’s Message is crystal-clear and inescapable. I feel that having reached the Lotus Feet of Sri Bhagwan, we should not allow to waste this great opportunity that came our way and we should have Inner Faith in Sri Bhagwan and the undoubted efficacy of the Vichara Marga.

We must go deeply into this feeling ‘I’ and be aware of it SO  STRONGLY  AND  SO  INTENSELY  that no other thoughts have the energy to arise and distract us. Sri Bhagwan has taught that if we can hold this feeling ‘I’ for long period and strongly enough, the false ‘I’ will vanish leaving only the unbroken awareness of the real, immanent ‘I’, Consciousness Itself.

Dear devotees, I am more than cent percent certain that if one can hold this feeling ‘I’, long enough and strongly enough, SEEKING ONE’S SOURCE, such a one will undoubtedly go deeper and deeper, within, Self-ward, and I need not say that  such a one need not worry about anything else—subtle or gross—for then His Grace takes over.

Q.  The Jnani transcends all stages and He is not bound by any karma. The ajnani should do his own dharma prescribed by sastras till he gets Jnana. But while he is attempting to reach Jnana, will he be held responsible for the consequences of not doing the ordinary karma or will he be presumed to have done all this karma, just as a person reading in higher class is presumed to have finished the lower classes?
Sri Bhagwan :  IT  DEPENDS  ON  THE  SUPERIORITY  OF  THE  PATH  ONE  PURSUES.  UNLESS  A  PERSON  HAS  FINISHED  THE  OTHER  PATHS,  HE  WILL  NOT  PURSUE  JNANA  PATH.
Source: Day by Day With Bhagwan 

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil   

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #3338 on: September 02, 2013, 04:35:46 PM »
Dear Sri Anil Ji,

i respond, just to bring to front just the following views -

i am unable to simply resonate with the very question posted by the questioner as follows -

Q: Many people find self-enquiry very difficult. Even most of Bhagwan’s devotees seem to follow a bhakti path. If one cannot do enquiry successfully, should one first purify the mind with japa?

Leaving aside the response by Sri Annamalai Swami as they respond keeping the questioner's temperament.

Are we still to differentiate between Jnana path and Bhakti paths? without Bhakti there is no Jnana path and without Jnana there is no Bhakti path. The very question is on a shaky ground and the response to such a question, i personally believe cannot be considered as a general

The following response of Bhagavan cannot be treated as generalisation and these responses i believe are again made keeping in mind the temperament of the questioner.

Regulation of life, such as getting up at a fixed hour, bathing, doing manana, japa, etc., observing ritual,  ALL  THIS  FOR  PEOPLE  WHO  DO  NOT  FEEL  DRAWN  TO  SELF-ENQUIRY  OR  ARE  NOT  CAPABLE  OF  IT.  BUT  FOR  THOSE  WHO  CAN  PRACTICE  THIS  METHOD   ALL  RULES  AND   DISCIPLINE   ARE   UNNECESSARY.

These quotes do not send a good message across at all. We ourselves can see how Bhagavan's routine was, he used to get up as early at 2:30 and so on. Another instance he asked Muruganar to stop all rituals at the same he asked another devotee to continue the same. But we cannot use such examples as a generalisation.

The same cane be said about just any other method. Take for instance the Sri Vidya Upasana, it says, only in ones last birth will one come into the folds of this Upasana and unless one has already finished all other preliminary exercices in ones past life one cannot come into the folds of Sri Vidya, the most esoteric and secret it says. The same holds good for Bhajana nama smarana etc... Lord Krishna has told in Srimad Bhagavata the only easiest path in Kali yuga to be the nama smarana and to be superior to all other methods. Any thing, any method if you take, you will see it claim that this is the best method, and that it is superior to every other method. I am unable to resonate with the quotes of responses of Bhagavan to various devotees based on their temperaments to be common to every reader.

i am merely expressing for expression sake and not for rights or wrongs and may not have any further views on this subject.

--
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #3339 on: September 02, 2013, 04:49:50 PM »
Other auxiliary practices are not different from Self Enquiry.

Superior to doing Self Enquiry with hands that work on worldly plane
would be the hands that engage in worship of God.

Superior to doing Self Enquiry with mouth that converses with persons
would be the mouth that engages in prayers.

Superior to doing Self Enquiry with eyes that see externally
would be the eyes that looks within.

Superios to doing Self Enquiry in a busy place and in midst of noises and commotion
would be to doing self enquiry in silent and serene place

Superios to doing Self Enquiry with filled stomach with various healthy and unhealthy foods
would be to doing self enquiry with empty (after digestion) stomach

Superior to doing self enquiry with internet and books
would be to doing self enquiry all alone by ourselves

and so on.. the list can continue based on our experiences

and if we see closely, the close devotees who lived with Bhagavan seldom asked any questions at all. All the questions that were asked to Bhagavan are the visiting people who come and go.

If one has the luxury of a companionship with Sage such as Bhagavan, then one need not really worry about any rules etc... but we who are in midst of worldly affairs, it does not personally appeal well to my heart to ignore the external niyamas. They are necessary for me at least.

thanks so much for the opportunity,

--
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 04:55:42 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3340 on: September 02, 2013, 05:38:33 PM »
Quote:
“Sri Annamalai Swami: NO. If you have some interest in the path of self-enquiry you should follow it even if you feel that you are not very good at it. If you want to do self-enquiry effectively and properly you should stick to that method alone. Other methods may be good in their own right but they are not good as preparations for self-enquiry. If you are serious about becoming a good violin player, you take lessons from a good teacher and practice as much as you can. If you encounter some difficulties you don’t switch to the clarinet for a few months. You stay with your chosen instrument and keep practicing till you get it right. THE BEST PREPARATION FOR SELF-ENQUIRY IS SELF-ENQUIRY.
Source: Living by the Words of Bhagwan”

Dear Sri Nagaraj Ji,

Yes. You may not, it is up to you to accept or reject it. But I deeply resonate with Sri Annamalai’s Swami’s above reply with regard to preparation for the Enquiry. However, I wish to say that Jnana and Bhakti are one and the same for me. I do not like to differentiate one from the other.

“The following response of Bhagavan cannot be treated as generalisation and these responses i believe are again made keeping in mind the temperament of the questioner.
Regulation of life, such as getting up at a fixed hour, bathing, doing manana, japa, etc., observing ritual, ALL THIS FOR PEOPLE WHO DO NOT FEEL DRAWN TO SELF-ENQUIRY OR ARE NOT CAPABLE OF IT. BUT FOR THOSE WHO CAN PRACTICE THIS METHOD ALL RULES AND DISCIPLINE ARE UNNECESSARY.”

No, dear Sri Nagaraj ji, I do not accept the view that Sri Bhagwan’s above reply has been made exclusively, keeping in mind only the temperament of the questioner. No. Not at all. THIS, IN MY VIEW, IS FAR FROM THE TRUTH. From His Utterances on many occasions, and from my own experience, I wish to say that I have no doubt regarding the efficacy of the above Words of Grace. I  WISH  TO  ADD  THAT  IF  ONE  WANTS  TO  CONTINUE  THOSE  SECONDARY  PRACTICES  MAY  DO  SO,  BUT  SRI  BHAGWAN  HAS  TAUGHT  CRYSTAL-CLEAR  THAT  FOR  THOSE  WHO  CAN  PRACTICE  THIS  METHOD  ALL  RULES  AND  DISCIPLINE  ARE  UNNECESSARY. One should not superimpose one’s own view, for Sri Bhagwan’s Utterance is so obvious. I dare not try to contradict Sri Bhagwan’s Teaching.

Quote:
“If one has the luxury of a companionship with Sage such as Bhagavan, then one need not really worry about any rules etc... but we who are in midst of worldly affairs, it does not personally appeal well to my heart to ignore the external niyamas. They are necessary for me at least.”

Dear Sri Nagaraj Ji, I do not feel separated from Sri Bhagwan. He is the Self. How can I? His Presence is everywhere and for all time.

Thanks very much for your response.
Pranam,
  Anil

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #3341 on: September 02, 2013, 05:54:56 PM »
I do not feel separated from Sri Bhagwan. He is the Self. How can I? His Presence is everywhere and for all time.

Well, am just happy for you! :)

--
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #3342 on: September 02, 2013, 06:15:46 PM »
I  WISH  TO  ADD  THAT  IF  ONE  WANTS  TO  CONTINUE  THOSE  SECONDARY  PRACTICES  MAY  DO  SO,  BUT  SRI  BHAGWAN  HAS  TAUGHT  CRYSTAL-CLEAR  THAT  FOR  THOSE  WHO  CAN  PRACTICE  THIS  METHOD  ALL  RULES  AND  DISCIPLINE  ARE  UNNECESSARY. One should not superimpose one’s own view, for Sri Bhagwan’s Utterance is so obvious. I dare not try to contradict Sri Bhagwan’s Teaching.

Dear Sri Anil Ji,

i wish to clear myself that i am in no way contradicting Bhagavan. I just lay stress on the underlined aspect of Bhagavan's quote:

FOR  THOSE  WHO  CAN  PRACTICE  THIS  METHOD  ALL  RULES  AND  DISCIPLINE  ARE  UNNECESSARY

only oneself is best judge. i was in no way super imposing, but simply realise that it would be really daring to be a claimant for this. Thanks so much.

--
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3343 on: September 02, 2013, 11:58:40 PM »
Dear Sri Anil,

I just wish to say that i agree with Your posts from today,from first,to the last word! And thank You Very much for posting them!

With love and prayers,

cefnbrithdir

• View Profile
« Reply #3344 on: September 03, 2013, 01:47:03 PM »

Dear Sri Anil and Sri Nagaraj

I am afraid I do not think your recent conversation helpful and are you not both right ?!

I am sure Sri Anil was originally trying to say that one should never be discouraged from Vichara because of thinking one is either unworthy to do so or to give up on finding it difficult.

But to stray into whether there are no "rules" or lots of "rules" is itself to become dominated by the question of rules which has plagued all aspirants of all faiths for all time.

It is itself a form of duality which the struggling and fearful (of its demise) ego can cling to.

Take the question of food. Bhagavan and others are in accord that whatever you eat is an irrelevance to the realised jnani. Yet Bhagavan was equally clear that some foods should be avoided for various reasons in aiding our sadhana.

Recently Sri Ravi usefully pointed us to the blog of Arvind regarding Self Inquiry. I personally found what he had written useful but his most reason post last month became, as far as I was concerned, obsessed with whether there was the slightest bit of egg in any of the foods he was eating  (and then you can get immersed in the question of whether an infertile egg is the same as a fertile egg etc). This did not feel right to me and I am reminded of Bhagavan teasing his Mother with an onion.

From my Christian background I am also reminded of Jesus's disciples asking him whether they should fast and Jesus replied "Not while the bridegroom is with them". When the bridegroom is taken away is the time to fast.

I have always understood that there were indeed no rules for the jnani - how could there be, there is no doership. But while we are still "doing" - which itself implies an existing, albeit struggling, ego - then we should not get caught up in dualistic arguments about rules. You do what your discrimination helps you best -  knowing that Bhagavan is indeed with you with his Grace.