Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 758929 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #3315 on: August 19, 2013, 09:45:55 AM »

Dear Ravi,

Several years ago, I have attended the evening bhajans in Sri Ramakrishna Math, Chennai.  I remember those days,
on seeing your post.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3316 on: August 19, 2013, 11:39:11 AM »
Dear Sri Ravi,

Ji, yes, Thanks very much, sir. I appreciate your recommendation but it is not possible for me in the present circumstances to visit Sri Ramkrishna  Mutt in Mylapore in Chennai. Right now, I am not even able to secure proper leave to visit Sri Ramansramam in Tiruvannamalai despite my utmost effort. However, I wish to share with you the fact that I sometimes visit Sri Ramkrishna Mission Ashram in Patna if I feel like it. In one of such visits, sometime in the early nineties of the last century, I purchased ‘The Complete  Works of Swami Vivekanada (9 volumes), and studied them with much fervor. On another visit to the Mission, I purchased ‘The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna’ sometime in 2006, but had not studied the same till recently. It was only after I went through some of your posts quoted from the Gospel that I was inspired to taste the Nectar-like Utterances of Sri Paramhamsa directly from the Gospel.

Dear sir, having said as above, I wish to say that such trips to the Mission Ashram are now few and far between, after reaching the Lotus Feet of Sri Bhagwan.  However,  there is no doubt in my mind that the atmosphere in even Sri Ramakrishna Mission Ashram in Patna is vibrant with Divine Presence and is suffused with spiritual power. What more can I say?

Pranam,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3317 on: August 19, 2013, 11:41:21 AM »
Sri Bhagwan:
“That which Is, is sat. Sat is Brahman. That is self-luminous. That is Atman, and that is the SELF. Names like Brahmavid, Brahmavidvarreya, Brahmavidvarishta are given to those men of wisdom who, by SELF-ENQUIRY, realise the Truth and remain firmly in that Knowledge of the SELF. The day to day activities are said to be in Atmakaravritti or Akhandakaravritti.”

Dear Devotees,

“YOU  HAVE  BEEN  TOLD,  WHY  DON’T  YOU  REALISE  IT?”

Yes, this is the crux of the matter, if there is any matter at all. We have been told and taught that the ego is not our real Self. Have we not?  THEREFORE,  IF  WE  ACCEPT  IT,  THEN  WE  HAVE  ONLY  TO  SEARCH  FOR  AND  FIND  THAT  WHICH  IS  OUR  REAL  SELF,  THE  REAL  BEING  OF  WHICH  THE  EGO  IS  A  FALSE  AND  ILLUSORY  APPEARANCE.  When will we understand that whatever assumes the reality of the ego whether explicitly or by an implication, will only take us further away from our own Reality, that is, the Egoless State. So, we must be wary.

Sri Bhagwan: “---but you who are asking the question, first know about yourself. The Jnanis can look after themselves. We do not know about ourselves but we enquire about Jnanis. What does it matter to us whether they are in Atmakaravritti or in Brahmakaravritti? If we know about ourselves, the question about them would not arise.

Dear devotees, it must be obvious by now that when we say ‘vritti’, duality is implied. Isn’t it? But that which Is, is only One. Therefore, to say that a Jnani is in Atmakaravritti or Brahmakaravritti, in my view, cannot be helpful to our sadhana. Because day to day actions as well as the movement from the past to present and future cannot take place without the Consciousness of the Supreme Being. Sri Bhagwan has taught unambiguously that to simply call this state by some name or the other , we say that these actions or the movement take place in Atmakaravritti or Akhnadakaravritti or the Brahmakaravritti.

All rivers ultimately fall into the ocean and lose their from and shape and become one with the ocean.  THERE  IS  NO  MEANING  WHEN  WE  SAY  THAT  A  RIVER,  AFTER  FALLING  INTO  AN  OCEAN,  AND  BECOMING  ONE  WITH  THE  OCEAN,   HAS   BECOME   MAHASAGARKARA. Likewise, if one seeks the Source and merges into It after reaching the Heart, one is verily the Self or the Atma-swarupa, that is, One with the Brahman.  HAS THE BRAHMAN ANY SHAPE AND FORM, SUCH AS SO MUCH DEPTH AND SO MUCH WIDTH? Remember that a Jnani’s mind is dead, and it is wrong to suppose that it revives at all. It is like the burnt rope which to onlookers may appear like a rope but it cannot tie anything to itself. 

Sri Bhagwan: In the same way, people merely say that the Jnani has Akhandakaravritti or Atmakaravritti but in the eyes of the Jnani the whole thing is only ONE.

DEAR  DEVOTEES,   WE  MUST  FIRST  LEARN  TO  BE  IN  THE  ATMIC  STATE  WHICH  IS  NOTHING  BUT  OUR   OWN   ATMA-SWARUPA   OR   THE   SELF.   WE   HAVE    BEEN  TOLD   AND  THEREFORE   SEEKING,   REACHING   AND   BEING   WHAT   WE  ARE   REALLY  IS   THE  ON LY  RIGHT  THING  TO  DO. 

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil

Note: Dear devotees, I am going away from Patna, which has been  fixed as my headquarter, on an official tour, to visit remote places in east Bihar, along the Ganges. I shall be back only after a week. Therefore, I shall be able to participate in any discussion only after a week or so. Anil         

cefnbrithdir

• View Profile
« Reply #3318 on: August 19, 2013, 12:17:08 PM »
Dear Sri Anil

I wanted to ask you about "What to do next ?"

It may seem a strange question but what I mean is that you are in a period of vichara - maybe "good" vichara - but when this finishes what to do next. You maintain "remembrance" which you never want to be distracted from  but you are back in a different place. You may read something spiritual, you may try to understand more fully the meaning of something, do more research on something. Then you need to eat (hopefully not the wrong foods which alters your state and you don't overeat). You make pick up a paper and read a little of what is happening in the world but overdo this and that is not a good idea. You may involve yourself on this site.  Sooner or later you realise you only want to go  back to more deep vichara and you have almost been distracting yourself and wasting time doing other things - however "spiritual" they may have been. But then that period of vichara comes to an end ........

If you have continuing responsibilities then yes you have "tasks". You have to answer this email, write a report, take something from here to there, meet this person etc. Hopefully none of this will be too distracting and you can get back more fully to where your heart is. This all involves a fair amount of thinking - or at least it does at the moment.

What I think I am trying to say is that whereas thinking about the past seems of little point and relevance, the immediate future (what comes next) seems all too real. It is a burden.  And whereas I know there are no objects it seems to me equally important to realise there is no "next" either.  We are all striving onwards yet to some extent is this not distracting us from the present ?

I am reminded  of the usually very structured day that Bhagavan gave himself - though this was also entirely flexible. I understand clocks were  correctly set. Something tells me that Bhagavan did not say to himself - "Now what shall I do - I'll go for a walk"  rather  at about the same time in the day his walk just happened.

I am  reading Bhagavan's conversations with Swami Madhavatirtha in "The Power of the Presence" Vol 1.  The answer to my ramblings is probably here.
This section from p 238 seems relevant to some of the previous discussion there has been here recently  - and more

Q. When I think "Who am I ?" I do not get any answer from within

M. That belief is wrong. If you search properly, you will find out that the "I" that is trying to find out will, later on, cease to exist. As you give up the thoughts of name and form, you will go deeper and deeper inside.

Q.  If I were to remove all thoughts, then, would I be able to meditate properly ?

M.  In the beginning that is all right. But when your attraction towards the Self increases, the real self-inquiry will start. At that time all your efforts will stop and a new state will come into being.

Q. Can the sadhana of self- enquiry be carried on while remaining in the house, or does one have to leave home ?

M.  Are you in the house or is the house in you ?  Be where you are.

Q.  Then I can remain in the house.

M.  It does not mean that. What I mean is that you should abide in your real nature. You are not the house, but the house as well as the world are in you. The householder who believes that he is not a householder, in spite of his staying in his house, is the one who has renounced. Visualise a man sleeping in a train. If the train moves or stops, or if the engine is changed , it is all the same to him. Similarly, one who is properly established in the Atman knows that nothing happens in this world, and that nothing is ever destroyed. Something is felt to be happening only when we are in the state of pramata, the knower. This state is not one's real nature. For the jnani who has given up the idea of the knower, nothing ever happens.

cefnbrithdir

• View Profile
« Reply #3319 on: August 19, 2013, 01:53:26 PM »
Dear Sri Anil

Your last post - written as I was writing mine - seems strangely connected. Or rather it is itself an answer to mine.

I should have read yours before posting, but there again am content with my one penny worth and the opportunity  to quote Bhagavan.

Thank you

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #3320 on: August 23, 2013, 10:55:58 AM »

Dear Sri Anil ji,

Just saw your wonderful response. So much warmth and love, i would be doing injustice if i say thank you or something in the likes of that as it divides. what can i say? these words are not enough, our human language is so limited, afterall how much can words convey! I too share the same feelings for Sri Anil ji :) That is most eloquent that transcends words, mouna! what just remains is simply sheer bliss of expression as Sri Jnaneshwar sang.
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3321 on: August 27, 2013, 10:13:20 AM »
Quote from Sri cefnbrithir:
“It may seem a strange question but what I mean is that you are in a period of vichara - maybe "good" vichara - but when this finishes what to do next. You maintain "remembrance" which you never want to be distracted from but you are back in a different place. You may read something spiritual, you may try to understand more fully the meaning of something, do more research on something. Then you need to eat (hopefully not the wrong foods which alters your state and you don't overeat). You make pick up a paper and read a little of what is happening in the world but overdo this and that is not a good idea. You may involve yourself on this site. Sooner or later you realise you only want to go back to more deep vichara and you have almost been distracting yourself and wasting time doing other things - however "spiritual" they may have been. But then that period of vichara comes to an end …”

Dear Sri cefnbrithir,

Yes, that is what happens when Atma-vichara ceases. When Atma-vichara ends, as you said, loka vichra creeps in, as Sri Bhagwan taught.  WHEN  SELF-INVESTIGATION  CEASES,  WORLD-INVESTIGATION  TAKES  ITS  PLACE. 
Atma-vichara as revealed by Sri Bhagwan is certainly a new path, a grand fusion of ‘Path of Knowledge, ‘Path of Action’ and  ‘Path of Love or devotionor surrender’, to be followed silently, wherever one is, in office or  market-places,  in caves or ashrams; A FIXED TIME FOR MEDITATION AND REMEBRANCES THROUGHOUT THE DAY. Self-enquiry is not merely a technique of meditation but a technique of living also.  When a devotee asked whether Self-enquiry should be used always or just in fixed hours, Sri Bhagwan replied, ‘Always’. Sri Arthur Osborne writes:

“Self-enquiry in daily activity, asking oneself to whom any though occurs, is a plan of campaign and a very potent one. It may not seem so when applied to an unemotional thought, say to one’s opinion of a book or a film; but applied to an emotional thought it has terrific potency and strikes at the very root of the passions. One has been hurt and feels resentment—who is hurt or resentful? Who is pleased or despondent, angry or triumphant? One falls into day-dreaming or visualize possible triumphs and thus inflates the ego as powerfully as meditation deflates it; and at such a moment it requires strength and alertness to draw the sword of vichara and cut through the entanglement.” 

“Q. When I think "Who am I ?" I do not get any answer from within

M. That belief is wrong. If you search properly, you will find out that the "I" that is trying to find out will, later on, cease to exist. As you give up the thoughts of name and form, you will go deeper and deeper inside.”

Dear Sri cefnbrithir, Sri Bhagwan has taught that no answer that the ego can give can be right. Sri Osborne has mentioned in his books, and I feel that it is absolutely familiar with me, that the answer is the awakening current of awareness, vibrating as the very essence of one’s being and yet is impersonal. But initially, this is few and far between. But with constant practice, this should be made more and more frequent until it becomes continuous, NOT  ONLY  DURING  MEDITATION  BUT  UNDERLYING  SPEECH  AND  ACTION  ALSO. Therefore, if one has done it right, current of meditation (awareness) continues and underlies all our thoughts and activities during the other times also when one is in thick of the relative existence and worldly noise.

“Q. If I were to remove all thoughts, then, would I be able to meditate properly ?

M. In the beginning that is all right. But when your attraction towards the Self increases, the real Self-inquiry will start. At that time all your efforts will stop and a new state will come into being.”

Dear Sri cefnbrithir, the sadhna and purpose of the Atma-vichara is to seek the Source of the mind, and once reached, to abide in the Source. Therefore, in the early stages, effort in the form of transferring attention from the thoughts to the thinker is sine-qua-non. But once, the current of meditation or awareness has been firmly established, one reaches the state of effortlessness and drowns effortlessly in one’s Real Natural Being, the Self or the Swarupa, and shines as ‘I AM THAT I AM’. That is the ‘Natural State’, that is the ‘Summa Iru’, that is unassailable Peace. Then one knows ‘I am God’ and does not merely think ‘I am God’. THAT ALONE IS OUR NATURAL STATE.   

Qupte from Sri cefnbrithir:
“Q. Can the sadhana of self- enquiry be carried on while remaining in the house, or does one have to leave home ?

M. Are you in the house or is the house in you ? Be where you are.

Q. Then I can remain in the house.

M. It does not mean that. What I mean is that you should abide in your real nature. You are not the house, but the house as well as the world are in you. The householder who believes that he is not a householder, in spite of his staying in his house, is the one who has renounced. Visualise a man sleeping in a train. If the train moves or stops, or if the engine is changed , it is all the same to him. Similarly, one who is properly established in the Atman knows that nothing happens in this world, and that nothing is ever destroyed. Something is felt to be happening only when we are in the state of pramata, the knower. This state is not one's real nature. For the jnani who has given up the idea of the knower, nothing ever happens.”

Dear Sri cefnbrithir, we are not aware of our family and their ties in our sleep and therefore it follows that we are not in the family but family is in us. Sri Bhagwan has taught that because we think that so and so is our wife and so and so is our children that we also think that we are bound to them. So, this is mere thinking and  these are mere thoughts.

Sri Bhagwan : You must exist in order that you may think. You may think these thoughts or other thoughts.  THE  THOUGHTS  CHANGE  BUT  NOT  YOU. Let go the passing thoughts and hold on to the unchanging Self. The thoughts form your bondage. If they are given up, there is release. The bondage is not external. So no external remedy need be sought for release. IT  IS  WITHIN  YOUR  COMPETENCE  TO  THINK  AND  THUS  GET  BOUND  OR  TO  CEASE  THINKING  AND  THUS  BE  FREE.

Dear Sri cefnbrithir, we must also understand that that just as we walk, we involuntarily take steps, without thinking. Do we not? SO  TOO  IN  OUR  ACTIONS  THE  THOUGHT-FREE  STATE  IS  NOT  AFFECTED  BY  OUR  ACTIONS.  THE  DISCRIMINATION  IN  OUR  ACTIONS  WILL  BE  AUTOMATIC  AND  INTUTIVE  AND  EVEN  WE  WILL  BE  IN  UNASSAILABLE  PEACE  AND  REPOSE WITHOUT  THE  EXPEREINCER.  A Realised sage is always in the Natural State, a mere Witness, in whose Presence thoughts and actions may happen in perfect unison as and when required, WITHOUT VOLITION. They do not leave impressions. They are like then drawing a line on the surface of a body of water. 

Thanks very much, dear Sri cefnbrithir. I am sorry for my belated response, but that is Sri Bhagwan’s Will, for I had been unable.

Pranam,
  Anil     

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3322 on: August 27, 2013, 05:38:01 PM »
Quote from Sri Nagaraj Ji:

“these words are not enough, our human language is so limited, after all how much can words convey! I too share the same feelings for Sri Anil ji  That is most eloquent that transcends words, mouna! what just remains is simply sheer bliss of expression as Sri Jnaneshwar sang.”

Quote from Sri Nagraj Ji from the thread ‘The Teaching of Sri Ramakrishna”:

“In order to be able to renounce, one must pray to God for the will power to do so. One must immediately renounce what one feels to be unreal. The rishis had this will-power. Through it they controlled the sense organs. If the tortoise once tucks in its limbs, you cannot make it bring them out even by cutting it into four pieces.”

Dear Sri Nagaraj Ji,

Yes, thanks very much, sir. Your words and being have always inspired and often struck a deep chord within me. However, we are aware that words are superficial and empty, and they lose meaning as soon as they are uttered. Moreover, has not Sri Bhagwan taught that the words are the great grandson of the Original Source, that is, the Supreme Silence of the Self, which alone is Pure Eloquence? If words can produce effect, we must judge how much more powerful communicating through the Eloquent Silence, which alone is the constant and perennial speech, must be.  Therefore, if we are to ever extricate ourselves from the tangled web of the labyrinth of maya, we must realize utterly the empty nature of all noise, words, and forms that we see around us. Almost all great devotees of Sri Bhagwan who moved intimately with Him have affirmed unambiguously that it was through Sri Bhagwan’s Ineffable Silence  rather than through words and speech that Sri Bhagwan revealed and conveyed His Supreme Message and Teaching to the mankind. Although Sri Bhagwan’s Spoken Words of Grace that emanated through His Physical Frame compelled innumerable devotees from all over the world, irrespective of caste, creed and religion, seek Him for Light, and most of them came to His Lotus Feet and basked in His Presence, to be devoured at the appropriate time, but it is through His Silence that abides and vibrates ‘now’ and ‘forever’, as it did when He was embodied, and is so potent that it destroys deep ignorance in a trice and bestows Jnana and Enlightenment on all those who, instead of bickering and squabbling over trifling worldly affairs, withdraw their mind from its extroverted tendencies and fix it firmly and resolutely on to ‘himself’ or the Self or the Swarupa and establish contact with that Ineffable Silence that abides at the Core of everyone of us and of all manifestations whatsoever.

Dear Sri Nagaraj Ji,  Sri Ramkrishna Paramhamsa taught that we must renounce immediately  what we felt to be unreal. And He has taught further that the will-power is necessary to do so and therefore one must pray to God for the will power. Sri Bhagwan has also taught that the will power is gained by practice. An excerpt from Talk—422:
D: What are the means of gaining will power?
Sri Bhagwan: Your idea of will power is success insured. Will power should be understood to be the strength of mind which makes it capable fpr meeting success or failure with equanimity. It is not synonymous with certain success. Why should one’s attempts be always attended with success? Success develops arraogance and the man’s spiritual progress is arrested. Failure on the other hand is beneficial, inasmuch as it opens the eyes of the man to his limitations and prepares him to surrender himself. Self-surrender is synonymous with eternal happiness. Therefore, one should try to gain the equipoise of mind under all circumstances. THAT IS WILL POWER.  Again, success and failure are the results of prarabdha and not of will power.   

Dear Sri Nagaraj Ji, Sri Bhagwan also taught that seeking to control the mind was counter- productive.  He has instead taught that it is only when the senses, each in turn, is realized to be founded on the unreal basis, through Enquiry, that they can be reined in, and then only mind breaks free of thoughts, forms and sense-objects and returns to its Pristine and Natural State and to its Original Glory. Such Pure Mind alone can mirror the Pure Consciousness of the Supreme Self , which verily the Pure Mind is, bereft of all concepts, meanings and significations.

Thanks very much, dear Sri Nagaraj Ji.
Pranam,
  Anil   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3323 on: August 27, 2013, 06:10:40 PM »
Dear Anil,

You have given very nice replies.  When the sadhana is complete, the mind will merge with Self and the Self will shine as
'I''I'.  It is self effulgent and self luminous.  The Self inquiry can be practiced after some time, at any place in work or in travel.
The underlying current will make you do all the work and also travel and you will find that the underlying current never leaves.

People wonder whether one can be without thoughts. Definitely.  In a thought-free state, where one experiences stillness
and this stillness is the aspect of pure mind.  The Pure mind is the Self.  Some get glimpses of Self.  This is okay. But with
due practice, it will become a permanent Bliss. No glimpses off and on.  Total experience of Sat Chit Ananda will result

The path of self inquiry is simple and direct method.  But it needs perseverance and effort till the goal is reached.
The goal is after all, within you.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3324 on: August 28, 2013, 05:00:11 PM »
Quote from Sri Subramanian Sir:
“The path of self inquiry is simple and direct method. But it needs perseverance and effort till the goal is reached.
The goal is after all, within you.”

Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

Ji. Yes. Thanks very much for a nice post, sir. The goal is, after all, within ‘you’. I should rather say that the goal is ‘you’ or ‘I’. The meditation generally implies duality— a meditator and an object to be meditated upon. But Sri  Bhagwan’s Teaching of Atma-vichara is unmistakeable and inescapable. “WHO  IS  THE  MEDITATOR?  ASK  THE  QUESTION  FIRST.  REMAIN  AS  THE  MEDITATOR.” ‘I am’ or ‘you are’ is the Reality. So, the Enquiry must be by ‘you’, of ‘you’, and in ’you’ only.  Sri Bhagwan has taught therefore that ‘you’ are the centre of dhyana and it cannot be outside ‘you’. Therefore, ‘you’ or ‘I’ is the centre of dhyana and that is the Heart.

Hridayam—hrit+ayam—This is the Centre. Heart is the Centre of all.  AND  THAT  HEART  OR  THAT  CENTRE  IS  ‘I’  OR  ‘YOU’.

Having reminded ourselves again and again of the truth that ‘I’ or ‘you’ is indeed the Heart-centre, I wish to draw your attention to Sri Bhagwan’s Teaching that there is no one who even for a trice fails to experience the Self. For no one admits that he ever stands apart from the Self or he is ever apart from the Self. So, ‘I’ or ‘he’ or ‘you’ is the Self or the Heart-centre. 

So what? The mind plays its own game. The Truth is utterly simple but the mind relishes intricacies and its fondness for solving riddles is well-known. The problem is we become aware of ourselves when the mind is active or the reflection or modification arises from the Self and says ‘I’ accompanied by ‘this’.  That which is, IS, and That does not say either ‘I’ or ‘this’. Therefore, the subsisting mind and our identification with it is the real trouble. Its subsistence must be brought to an end by Enquiry, for, so long as it subsists, pseudo, broken, reflected ‘I’ will rise forth with every thought and will disappear with its disappearance.

Thus, it follows from above, that we are, in truth, what Is. Our life is indeed what Is, and That which is, Is. But all trouble arises because of having conception of it. This is where and how the mind comes in, and ruins us. Mind means conceptions and thoughts. THIS  IS  WHY  SRI  BHAGWAN  TAUGHT,  ‘IF  WE  ARE  AS  WE  ARE,  WITHOUT  A  MIND  AND  ITS  CONCEPTIONS  ABOUT  VARIOUS  THINGS,  ALL  WILL  BE  WELL  WITH  YOU.  IF  YOU  SEEK  THE  SOURCE  OF  THE  MIND ,  THEN  ALONE  ALL  QUESTIONS  WILL  BE  SOLVED.’

Therefore, persevering, we must prevent the relative or reflected or rising consciousness, that is, ego-‘I’ and the associated thoughts, from going outwards by Enquiry, and when the initial thought-movement is off,  fixing them in the Self, AND REMAINING  AS WE ARE, ALONE, is the highest sadhana or abhyasa as taught by Sri Bhagwan. WE MUST PERSEVERE SO THAT OUR SADHANA CULMINATES IN FIRM KNOWLEDGE THAT I AM THAT THROUGH WHICH ALL THE SEEING WAS TAKING PLACE. THEN ONLY WE REMAIN AS WITNESS.

Pranam,
  Anil 

Ravi.N

• View Profile
Re: The Human Gospel of Ramana maharshi
« Reply #3325 on: August 28, 2013, 05:50:50 PM »
Anil,
Please download the Human Gospel of Ramana mahrshi by Sri V Ganesan from this link.I checked this and it is working okay even now:
http://www.thewizardllc.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/The-Human-Gospel-Sharing-Western-Version2.pdf
Namaskar.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3326 on: August 28, 2013, 06:52:11 PM »
An excerpt from ‘the Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna:

In the afternoon Bhavanath arrived, M., Harish, and other devotees were in the room.
Master (to Bhavanath): “To love an Incarnation of God—that is enough. Ah, what ecstatic love the gopis had for Krishna!”
Sri Ramakrishna began to sing, assuming the attitude of the gopis:
O Krishna! You are the Soul of my soul…
Then He sang:
I am not going home, O friend,
For there it is hard for me to chant my Krishna’s name….

And again:
O Friend, that day I stood at my door as You were going to the woods…..

Continuing the Master said: “When Krishna suddenly disappeared in the act of dancing and playing with the gopis, they were beside themselves with grief. Looking at a tree, they said: ‘O tree, you must be a great hermit. You must have seen Krishna. Otherwise, why do you stand there motionless. As if absorbed in Samadhi?’ Looking at the earth covered with green grass, they said: ‘O earth, you must have seen Krishna. Otherwise, why does your hair stand on end? You must have enjoyed the thrill of His touch.’ Looking at the madhavi creeper, they said: ‘O madhavi, give us back our Madhava!’ The gopis were intoxicated with ecstatic love for Krishna. Akrura came to Vrindavan to take Krishna and Balrama to Mathura. When they mounted the chariot, the gopis clung to the wheels. They would not let the chariot move.” 

Saying this, Sri Ramakrishna sang, assuming the attitude of Akrura:

Hold not, hold not the chariot’s wheels!
Is it the wheels that make it move?
The Mover of its wheels is Krishna,
By whose will the worlds are moved…

Master: “’Is it the wheels that make it move?’ ‘By whose will the worlds are moved.’ ‘The driver moves the chariot at his Master’s bidding.’ I feel deeply touched by these lines.”

Sri Bhagwan: “The Self makes the universe what it is by His Sakti, and yet He does not Himself act. Sri Krishna says in the Bhagavad Gita, “I am not the doer and yet actions go on”. It is clear from the Mahabharata that very wonderful actions were effected by Him. Yet He says that He is not the doer. It is like the sun and the world actions.” 

Pranam,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3327 on: August 28, 2013, 07:43:36 PM »
Dear Sri Ravi,

Ji. Yes. Thanks very much, sir. I have downloaded and saved ‘The Human Gospel of Sri Ramana Maharshi’ by Sri V. Ganesan.

Pranam,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3328 on: August 29, 2013, 02:08:18 PM »
A devotee asked, “As Atma is devoid of name or form, should it be meditated upon with ‘jnana atheetha bhakti’, bhakti which is superior to and above jnana ?”

Sri Bhagwan replied:
“If you say that you should meditate, doesn’t that imply dwaita (dualism)? It implies one who meditates, and that on which he meditates; Atma however is nameless and formless. How is it possible to meditate upon nameless and formless?  ‘Jnana  atheetha  bhakti’  means one’s own Self, nameless and formless, just as a Witness.   THE  ‘I’  IS  ONE’S  OWN  SELF.  THAT  ‘I’  IS  EVERYWHERE,  ONLY  ONE  ‘I’.  THEN  WHAT  IS  THERE  TO  MEDITATE  UPON?  Who is it that meditates?  IT  IS  THE  ‘I’  THAT  IS  EVERYWHERE  WHICH  IS  CALLED  ASTHI,  BHATI  AND  PRIYAM,  OR  SAT-CHIT-ANANDAM.  The names are many, but the thing is only one.”

Source: Letters from Sri Ramanasramam

To continue in my next post

Pranam,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3329 on: August 29, 2013, 03:52:18 PM »
Continued from my previous post:

Reality is simply the loss of the ego. Destroy the ego by seeking its identity. Because the ego is no entity it will AUTOMATICALLY   VANISH  and Reality will shine forth BY  ITSELF. This is the Direct Method. Whereas all other methods are done, only retaining the ego.  IN  THOSE  PATHS  THERE  ARISE  SO  MANY  DOUBTS  AND  THE  ETERNAL  QUESTION  REMAINS  TO  BE  TACKLED  FINALLY.  But in this method the final question  is the only one and it is raised from the very beginning. No sadhanas are necessary for engaging in this quest.
Talk—146

Dear devotees,

The Final Question “WHO  AM  I?” is the Axe which cuts off the ego at its very root.
However, Sri Bhagwan has taught: “ALL  PEOPLE  cannot be expected to do the same kind of action. Each one acts according to his temperament and past lives. WISDOM,  DEVOTION,  ACTION  ARE  ALL  INTERLOCKED. Meditation on forms is according to one’s own mind. It is meant for ridding oneself of other forms and confining oneself to one form. It leads to the goal. It is impossible to fix the mind in the Heart to start with. SO  THESE  AIDS  ARE  NECESSARY.”

Dear devotees, Sri Bhagwan thus teaches that one thinks of God according to his own degree of advancement. Therefore, I feel that it is not correct to say that this path is easy and that path is difficult. However, the question of suitability of a certain method remains and that, in my view, depends on the temperament, predilection and the degree of advancement of a seeker.  It is not correct, however, to say either that Vichara, as taught by Sri Bhagwan, is purely the Path of Knowledge.  I have sought to consciously and imperatively maintain in this thread, from the very beginning, that Vichara, as taught by Sri Bhagwan, is the Grand, Grand Fusion of Knowledge, Devotion as well as Action, and Sri Bhagwan made this  SUPREMELY  BENEFICIAL  PATH  ACCESSIBLE  TO  ONE  AND  ALL .   BUT  THE  MINND  COMES  IN,  AND  TO  AVOID  ITS  CERTAIN  DESTRUCTION  BY THE  SHARP  EDGE  OF  THE  AXE  “WHO  AM  I?”, IT  CREATES  SHEATHS  IN  SO  MANY  WAYS.  An earnest seeker should plug all the escape roots that the mind resorts to and should not be allowed space to manoeuvre and sabotage one’s Pursuit of the Supreme Goal.
We need not be disheartened due to perceived lack of progress while pursuing the Direct Path. Perseverance is the Key here as well as in any other spiritual sahana.  In this context, it is worth quoting Sri Annamalai Swami from the Book ‘Living by the Words of Bhagwan’ as follows:

“It is always good to worship the Guru, but abiding in the Guru’s teachings is far better. You can follow the bhakti path if you want to  BUT  YOU  SHOULD  REMEMBER  THAT  IT IS  ALMOST  IMPOSSIBLE  FOR  THE  DEVOTEE  TO  JUDGE  WHETHER  HE  IS  MAKING  PROGRESS  OR  NOT.  You should not jump to the conclusion that you are not making progress with your Self-enquiry simply because YOU  FIND  IT  HARD  TO  DO.  And you should not think that you will make more progress as   A   BHAKTA   SIMPLY  BECAUSE  YOU  FIND  IT  EASY  TO  GENERATE   JOYFUL   STATES   OF   MIND.”

Dear Devotees, I have always felt that Sri Bhagwan  indeed went several steps beyond all the Gurus that I know  BY  TEACHING  THAT  THERE  IS  NO  GOD  APART  FROM  THE  PERSON  WHO  SEES  HIM.   HE  WENT   SEVERAL   STEPS   AHEAD  AND  BEYOND   BY  TEACHING   TO   WHOEVER  SOUGHT  HIS  GRACE   THAT  THERE  IS  NO  ONE   WHIO  IS  NOT  AWARE   OF  HIS  OWN  BEING;  THAT   ONE’S  OWN  BEING   IS  GOD’S  BEING;  AND  THAT  BEING  IS  BOTH   SELF  AND  GOD.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil