Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 755800 times)

amiatall

Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #330 on: December 29, 2010, 03:48:26 PM »
When mind is still, things happen.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #331 on: December 30, 2010, 06:12:51 AM »
Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

Thank you so much for citing Sri Viswanatha Swami’s Dhyan Sloka. I had not seen it so far. Sometimes, I marvel and wonder at the Grand Divine Design. Sri Bhagwan’s Court was such a marvelous assembly which, besides general seekers and devotees, always comprised of  some great, distinguished, brilliant, learned and marvelous personalities, such as Sri Muruganar, Sri Ganapati Muni, Sri Narsimha Swami, Sri Arthur Osborne, Sri Lakshman Sarma, Sri Viswanatha Swami, Sri Munagala S. Venkataramiah etc. ( He alone knows how many more were there ! ) I feel that these luminous personalities were drawn to Sri Bhagwan like calves to their mother cows as Sri Kunju Swami so feelingly opined. Their coming to Him cannot be mere coincidence but certainly Grand Divine Design to spread His Sublime Teaching and Panacea-like Message.

Dear Sir, you have beautifully explained Sri Bhagwan’s point of view with regard to the ‘Original Sin’. ‘I am the body’ thought must precede an understanding of sexual difference as man and woman. There is neither man nor woman in deep sleep. On waking, with the rise of the body identification, arises the concepts of man, woman and all differentiation. Thank you so much.

Regards,
                                                                                                  Anil     

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #332 on: December 30, 2010, 08:49:58 AM »
Dear Sri amiatall,

A still mind is the harbinger of  Realization. A still mind is the satva aspect of the mind. Rajas and tamas aspects of the mind give rise to ‘vikshepa’ and ‘veiling’ respectively where as the satva aspect remains  pure and uncontaminated. Satva mind is free of the thoughts and Sri Bhagwan says that it is identical with the Self. Mind is akin to akasa. Just as there are objects in the akasa, there are  thoughts in the mind. Sri Bhagwan has revealed that the satva mind, free from thoughts, manifests Brahman and is finally resolved into It.

Besides, Sri Bhagwan says ( Talks, no. 384 ) that “ the so called genius is one who worked hard in his past births and acquired knowledge and kept it in store as samskaras. He now concentrates his mind until it merges in the subject. In that stillness the submerged ideas flash out. “

So much for discoveries and inventions ! Sri Bhagwan says that samskaras for inventions and discoveries manifest themselves in a calm and still mind. Therefore, you are on the right trail when you say that things happen when the mind is still.

Thank you,
                                                                                                      Ani   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #333 on: December 30, 2010, 09:46:29 AM »

Dear amiatall and Anil,

Yes.  A still mind will make things happen.  One should not keep
on worrying that vasanas had not been erased etc., 

Entry dated 26.6.1946 from Devaraja Mudaliar's Day by Day:

...."Then turning to Khanna, Sri Bhagavan said, "Why distress your mind by thinking that Jnana has not come or that the vasanas
have not disappeared?  Dont' give room for thoughts.  In the last
stanza of Sukavari by Thayumanavar, the Saint says mush the same
as is written on this paper [given by Khanna]."

And Sri Bhagavan made me read the stanza and translate it into
English for the benefit of those who do not know Tamizh.  It goes: "The mind mocks me and though I tell you ten thousand times you are indifferent, so how am I to attain peace and bliss?"

Then I said to Khanna:  "You are not the only one who complains to Sri Bhagavan like this.  I have more than once complained in
the same way, and I still do, for I find no way improvement in myself."

Khanna replied:  "It is not only that I find no improvement but I think I have grown worse.  The vasanas are stronger now.  I can't understand it."

Sri Bhagavan quoted the last stanza of Mandalathin of Thayumanavar, where the mind is coaxed as the most generous and disinterested of givers, to go back to its birthplace or Source, and thus give the devotee peace and bliss, and he asked me to read out a translation of it that I once made.

Khanna then asked: "The illumination plus mind is Jivatma and the illumination alone is Paramatma, is that right?"

Bhagavan assented and then pointed out to His towel and said: "We call it a white cloth, but the cloth and its whiteness cannot be separated, and it is the same with the illumination and the mind that unite to form the ego."  Then, He added:  "The following illustration that is often given in books, will also help you.   The lamp in the theatre is the Para Brahman or the illumination, as you put it.  It illumines itself and the stage and actors.  We seethe stage and the actors by its light, but its light still continues when there is no more play.  Another illustration is an iron rod that is compared to the mind.  fire joins it and it becomes red-hot.  It glows and can burn things, like fire, but still it has a definite shape, unlike fire.  If we hammer it, it is the rod that receives the blows, not the fire.  The rod is the Jivatma and the fire, the Self or Paramatma."

Arunachala Siva.                     

amiatall

« Reply #334 on: December 30, 2010, 02:40:49 PM »
When mind is still, it is like Subramanian has pointed out - cart is traveling on its own while driver is sleeping.
No concern about energies, budhi, kundalini, what happens before realiztion, what after, how those work, etc. All these happen automatically by itself.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #335 on: December 30, 2010, 03:05:28 PM »

Dear amiatall,

Yes.  The Cart is the body and the Driver is the Self.  The bulls
are Indriyas [senses]. 

Saint Tayumanavar says about this sleeping, as wakeful sleeping.
You are wakeful as the Self, Awareness and you are sleeping with regard to the happenings around.

Sri Bhagavan says in Sri Arunachala Akshara Mana Maalai, Verse
37:-

If I slumber in quiet repose enjoying the Bliss of Being, what other
moksha [liberation] is there, tell me, O Arunachala!

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #336 on: December 31, 2010, 06:40:38 AM »
  Dear Sri amiatall, yes, analogy between wakeful sleeping (still mind) and bullock cart, as drawn by Sri Subramanian sir, is very apt. One is wakeful as the Self and sleeping with regard to happening around. Thank you. Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #337 on: December 31, 2010, 08:53:53 AM »

The most secret verse of Srimad Bhagavad Gita [2.16] reads:

Nasatho vidhyathe bhavo naa bhavo vidhyathe satha |
Ubhayo rapi dhrushtonthas thvanayos dhathvadharsibhi ||

That which is not there always, can never attain permanency.
That which is permanent does never lose its state.  Those who
understand this truth realize the Truth.

Extending the bullock cart story, the bulls [with the cart]
were running at a great speed.  The bulls thought:  Nothing
can stop us.  This is royal road. They suddenly found a camel
lying on the road.  They thought that they can run over the camel.
As they hit the animal, the camel stood up.  The bulls and the cart
fell down spread-eagled.  The bulls got severely bruised and died.
The cart got broken with wheels and the main plank lying in two
different directions.   

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #338 on: December 31, 2010, 10:37:28 AM »

When one’s goal is to ‘be’, even the thought that Jnana has not come or the vasanas have not all together disappeared, is a hindrance. ( w.r.t. your post, reply 363 ) Even such a thought creates split in the unitary consciousness and will result in subject- object relationship which is in the realm of Maya or the relative consciousness. When I say that I am seeking Jnana, it is akin to saying that I, the subject, am seeking Jnana, the object. It is as if I am different from the Jnana, which I am not. Sri Bhagwan says not to give room to any thought. Therefore, even thinking that I am not realized is an obstacle to be crossed.

Dear sir, similes of the theatre lamp, red-hot heated iron ball and the bullock cart and the superimposition of a snake on the substratum of the rope in the dim light, are of great spiritual importance which have been used from the time immemorial to impart , to seekers of truth, teaching of the Oneness that is the Self or the Brahman and the unreality of the transitory world including the jivas and God, Triads or the triputi of the world, jivas and God, as Sri Bhagwan said. I think  all these similes have been used in the Vedanta for the same purpose. Isn’t it, sir ?

Dear sir, you have very nicely explained the similes of the bullock cart as well as the red-hot iron ball. A red-hot iron ball glows and even can burn things, but still it has a definite form, unlike the fire. If it is hammered, it is the iron ball which receives the blows and not the fire.The ego which shines in the ‘Light of the Self’ receives the blows from the ill fate, when misfortune befalls, and not the Self. Very  well said, sir.

Dear sir, particularly with the simile of the theatre lamp, I wish to say that  the stage, the actors, the play itself, the audience, as well as the illumination by which they all are being illumined, are He only. As the illumination is there even before the play commences and after the play is over and of course during the play, it is illumining all including even the audience, even so the Self or the Brahman is ever present, whether one is playing in the world assuming it to be real, or whether knowing it to be unreal as the realized person, or whether there is a play or no play at all. Thank you so much, sir.

Regards,
                                                                                                             Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #339 on: December 31, 2010, 01:05:30 PM »

Dear Anil,

Once Annamalai Swami, after having been relieved from construction work and when he was living in Palakottu, asked Sri Bhagavan:-

"Bhagavan!  If I could remain always in solitude, and if I could get
some food everyday, and if I am free from any ailments, then the
self realization will be easy.  Is it not, Bhagavan!"

"So you want to remain always alone.  You should get some food
everyday.  You should free from ailments.  Look, for all these
you have to wait for a few more births.  Do not think any of them.
Just Be."

One should as Sri Bhagavan said: Be still.  Let some thoughts come here and there.  Let some food come on its own here and there.  Let there be crowd around you or not.  One should remain still.  Irunthapadiye Iru.  That is the sum and substance of His
teachings.

Once there was one devotee called Thinnai Swami.  [Thinnai =
out portal of old type houses].  He got this name Thinnai Swami
later.  Earlier he had some other name.  Once when he came and was about to take leave of Sri Bhagavan, Sri Bhagavan merely said:  Iru.  Be. Not even summa iru, be still.  The gentleman continued to stay in T'malai. His wife and relatives pursuaded
him to come with them.  He did not go.  He did not even stay inside the Asramam.  He stayed on a portal of a house.  On a
few days he used to take bath.  Otherwise he remained as he was,
gazing at the Hill.  He had only one dhoti and shirt.  Once in a way, he used to wash them.  Food was given by the residents of streets occasionally.  He lived like that for many years. Grew old.
But he was ever in a state of samadhi, not caring for food or clothing or even sleep.  On  a Mahadeeapm day, he said, after seeing the light on the summit of the Hill, "O Ummaulai [Apeeta
kuchambal is calling me.  Let me go."  He just leaned on the back of the wall and merged with Arunachala.

Arunachala Siva.     

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #340 on: January 01, 2011, 06:52:27 AM »
                             OM   NAMO  BHAGAWATE  SRI  RAMANAYA

Arise, awake Oh Bhagwan  of  Tiruchuzhi. Oh ! Beautiful One who abides in all, arise to bestow auspiciousness on your devotees.

Good Morning. Oh ! Ramana the Supreme Consciousness Bliss. You awaken  your devotees to the truth, “ I am that “ by insisting, “ You first engage yourself in self-enquiry WHO AM  I  and get firmly convinced that you are not the body. “

Good Morning. Oh ! Ramana the Supreme Consciousness Bliss. In compassion, you told Amrthnatha Yati, “ I am not HARI (Vishnu) or SIVAGURU (Subramania) or Siva. I am Ramana of ARUNACHALA, the Supreme Self, the indweller of all hearts viz.  ARUNACHALESWARA “.

Morning hymn on Sri Bhagwan
                                                               Centenary Souvenir                                                                                                                                                                                                     

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #341 on: January 01, 2011, 06:55:08 AM »

I do not know why have you said that the Verse 2.16 is the most secret verse of Srimad Bhagvad Gita. In my view, this verse is an open declaration of the Great Lord that there is no existence of Asat and there is no non-existence of Sat. Only Sat is  Existence. Ever changing Prakriti and its works are Asat and, therefore, have no existence.

Sri Ram Sukh Das, the author of a very popular Hindi version of the Gita, writes in his commentary on the Verse 2.16 that although there are Existence and non-existence in the world, it is mainly non-existence. In Parmatma, although there are Existence and non-existence, Existence is the Supreme Reality. In the world, in non-existence there are Existence and non-existence. In Parmatma, in Existence there are Existence and non-existence. Therefore, the world is Asat and Parmatma alone is Sat. Sat is Existence and the Asat is non-existent.

Dear sir, in the story of the deluded bulls running blindly, the bulls represent the senses. If  bulls are not reined in by the driver, fate of the cart is doomed as so beautifully narrated by you. Even so, if the senses are not reined in by the ego-mind, his fate is also doomed like the cart in the story.. Thank you so much.

Regards,
                                                                                           Anil     

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #342 on: January 01, 2011, 07:10:04 AM »
   Dear Devotees and Seekers of Truth from all over the world,  Happy New Year,  !!

Pray to Great Lord Bhagwan Sri Ramana to take us from the darkness of ignorance to
  the Light of Knowledge.

Thank you,
                                                                     Anil   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #343 on: January 01, 2011, 10:52:12 AM »

Dear Anil,

In the verse Nasatho... Sri Krishna speaks about the pure advaitam.
He says that things which were not there before cannot get permanence now; thing that which is permanent will never leave
its permanence.  The Self is permanent.  It is eternal.  It is ever
present.  It is transcendent of time and space.  All other things,
like this universe, jiva and personal gods [Iswara] are impermanent.
The commentators of Srimad Bhagavad Gita always twist this verse
and simply say Narayana or Krishna is permanent. The Jivas will go to Vaikunatam and attain permanence!  When Vaikunta and Kailasa itself are only imaginations, and even Krishna left this world along with all Yadavas, how can they be permanent.  Only the Brahman is permanent.  The verse is secret in the sense, it is hiding the
basic tenet of Ajata Vadam, and makes room for many many imaginary interpretations.  No one excepting Sri Sankara and Sri
Bhagavan have given the direct meaning.  Nowadays, Sri Ramakrisha Math commentaries give the direct meaning.

Arunachala Siva.       

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #344 on: January 01, 2011, 01:18:58 PM »

I do not exactly remember, but perhaps Sri Bhagwan has said that a seeker of Truth should make efforts and do Atma Vichara in whatever worldly conditions and predicament he finds himself in. ( w.r.t.your post, reply 369 )  He should not wait and thus should not waste time for right conditions to prevail to take up Atma Vichara.

Dear sir, the story of Sri Thinnai Swami as narrated by you is deeply moving. He must be what Sri Bhagwan termed as a ‘Dhira’. Sri Bhagwan has defined a ‘Dhira’ as the one who always keeps the mind inward bent without letting it loose.

Sri Bhagwan said to him, “ Iru. “ or “ Be. “ He did not even say to him, “ Be still. “

Sri Bhagwan says that  “ the Self is only Be-ing, not being this or that. It is simply Being.
Be-and there is an end of ignorance “. ( Talks, no. 46 )

It is noteworthy that Sri Thinnai Swami was neither directed to ask “who am I ? “ nor told to dive deeper and search the source of his self by Sri Bhagwan. He was straight away told to be  and he, in turn, was from that very time just Be-ing. “ Just be “ is the Final Teaching of the Guru.

Dear sir, I cannot express my gratitude in words for narrating the story of Sri Thinnai Swami so nicely and purposefully. I didn’t even know Sri Swami’s name. Thank you so much..

Regards,
                                                                                       Anil