Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 758068 times)

Ravi.N

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #3240 on: August 01, 2013, 04:19:41 PM »
Anil,
Wonderful excerpt from The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna.The inimitable way the Master expresses himself and drives home the point is something that I have always marvelled at.The message goes stright to the Heart.
Truly Vast as the sky,deep as the ocean and yet so utterly guileless and simple as a child!
Thanks very much anil bhai.
Namaskar.

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3241 on: August 01, 2013, 04:40:13 PM »
Dear Sri Anil,

How beautiful post You wrote to me! Indeed,the Self is our Guru and our best teacher,and other form of a Guru is nothing but the Self and Grace manifesting itself,to help us shun this restrictions we put on ourselves,nothing but God Himself.

TAKE THE GURU TO BE THE REAL SELF AND YOUR SELF AS THE INVIDUAL SELF.”

This is wonderful saying! Indeed,that is the whole point,the best possible approach. It requires humility and it is impossible for ego to delude itself. Well,it is is the step toward real surrender,without it is absolutely impossible to get rid of this false entity. Which is again showing to us that we must let go this personality,everything. That is the ego death,and that is the real birth. To completely submit ourselves,our little selves indeed,to our Guru,our God,which is nothing but the Self,like You beautifully said,my dear friend. Guru is indeed everything...and that is,without any doubt,Self Attention. In that way Grace flows freely,coz it is our very nature. It is best possible remedy,and best possible way to stop identifying with body mind complex,and in the same way,best possible service to our Guru. And we think we are surrendering and doing service to Guru,which we tend to look like body,and in reality,it is nothing but submiting of imaginary entity toward real and only true nature. So we dont lose anything,and there is no death. How absurd,isnt? And quite funny when you think about it.  :) Thats why it is very important not to look on Guru like on body.

If we learn to listen,to be receptive,we cannot but see that Guru is every step with us,so close,it is our very Heart,our very Self. There is nothing more close than That,and how it can be! This what we think we are,is in reality so distant,so false,pure imagination,thats why all the conflict,all the struggle.

And this beautiful post from the Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna, is verily explaning all what You previously have said. And in a such sweet,loving and simple manner Master explanes everything...

THEREFORE, I SAY, DWELL BY YOURSELF IN YOUR OWN CHAMBER.

What we need more than this!? It is All wisdom in one sentence,all what Bhagavan,Maharaj and all The Great Ones ever said. All what our Self is teaching us indeed. So profound sentence,so profound. It is verily Self Attention.

This is wonderful subject for contemplation,so thank You,dear friend,dear Sri Anil!

With love and prayers,
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 04:49:11 PM by Jewell »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3242 on: August 03, 2013, 10:46:25 AM »
Quote from Sri Ravi:
“Truly Vast as the sky, deep as the ocean and yet so utterly guileless and simple as a child.”

Dear Sri Ravi,

Ji. Yes. Truly vast as the sky, deep as the ocean, and yet so utterly guileless and simple as a child! This is why He is the Paramhamsa! Thanks very much, sir.

Master:
“One must have Faith in the Guru’s Words. The Guru is none other than Satchidananda. God Himself is the Guru. If you only believe His words like a child, you realize God. What faith a child has! When a child’s mother says to him about a certain man, ‘He is your brother’, the child believes he really is his brother. The child believes it one hundred and twenty-five percent, though he may be the son of a Brahmin, and the man the son of a blacksmith. The mother says to the child, ‘There is bugaboo in that room’, and the child really believes there is bugaboo in the room. Such is the faith of the child! ONE  MUST  HAVE  THIS  CHILLD-LIKE  FAITH  IN  THE GURU’S WORDS.  God cannot be realized by a mind that is hypocritical, calculating, or argumentative. ONE  MUST  HAVE  FAITH  AND  SINCERITY.  HYPOCRISY  WILL  NOT  DO. To the SINCERE, God is very near; but He is far, far away from the hypocrite.”

“One must have for God the yearning of a child. The child sees nothing but confusion when his mother is away. You may try to cajole him by putting sweetmeat in his hand; but he will not be fooled. He only says, ‘No, I want to go to my mother.’ One must feel such yearning for God. Ah, what yearning! How restless a child feels for his mother! Nothing can make him forget his mother. He to whom the enjoyment of worldly happiness appears tasteless, he who takes no delight in anything of the world—money, name, creature comforts, sense pleasure--, becomes sincerely grief-stricken for the vision of the Mother. And to him alone the Mother comes running, leaving all Her other duties.”
“Ah, that restlessness is the whole thing. Whatever path you follow—whether you are a Hindu, a Mussalman, a Christian, a Sakta, a Vaishnava  or a Brahmo—the vital point is restlessness. God is our Inner Guide. It doesn’t matter if you take a wrong path—only you must be restless for Him. He Himself will put you on the right path.”

The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna

Pranam,
 Anil     

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3243 on: August 03, 2013, 12:31:12 PM »
Quote from Sri Jewell:
“in reality, it is nothing but submitting of imaginary entity toward real and only true nature. So we dont lose anything, and there is no death. How absurd, isnt? And quite funny when you think about it.  Thats why it is very important not to look on Guru like on body.”

Dear Sri Jewell,

And how beautifully you have responded to my post! That is obviously the expression of an inspired devotee and a beautiful mind. Yes, Guru is the formless Self, there is no doubt whatever about that. We must not mistake the body for the Guru. Real Guru is not external. He is within. If He appears without, in human guise, it is only to speak our language and to guide us to the Real Swarupa.

Sri Bhagwan : That Sadguru is within.
Devotee: Sadguru is necessary to guide me to understand it.
Sri Bhagwan: The Sadguru is within.
Devotee: I want a visible Guru.
Sri Bhagwan: THAT  VISIBLE  GURU  SAYS  THAT  HE  IS  WITHIN.

Dear friend, Sri Jewell, Sri Bhagwan has taught that the Sadguru is always on our head.

Devotee: Is a teacher necessary?
Sri Bhagwan: You have already got what you seek elsewhere. So no teacher is necessary.
Devotee: Is there any use of the man of Realisation for the seeker?
Sri Bhagwan: Yes. He helps you to get rid of your delusion that you are not realised. Devotee: So, tell me how.
Sri Bhagwan: The paths are meant only to de-hypnotise the individual.
Devotee: De-hypnotise me. Tell me what method to follow.
Sri Bhagwan: Where are you now? Where should you go?
Devotee: I know ‘I am’, but I do not know what I am.
Sri Bhagwan: Are there two ‘I’s then?
Devotee: It is begging the question.
Sri  Bhagwan: WHO  SAYS  THIS?  IS  IT  THE  ONE  WHO  IS,  OR  IS  IT  THE  OTHER  WHO  DOES  NOT  KNOW  WHAT  HE  IS.

Dear friend, Sri Jewell, yes, you have rightly therefore observed that all this sounds funny. But why? Because:

“One ever is the Self. To ask oneself
‘Who and whereabouts am I?’
Is like the drunken man’s enquiring
‘Who am I?’ and ‘Where am I?
(Yes, it is funny!)

My dear friend, Sri Muruganar has commented that it is because of the immaturity of the seeker that a Guru appears outside, assuming a form. In truth, the Guru is only Inner Self. As we do not seek with longing and love the truth of that Self which shines unceasingly in the Heart, THE POWER OF GRACE MANIFESTS GURU OUTSIDE, WHO APPEARS AS SEPARATE FROM US.

THEREFORE,  WE  MUST  IMBIBE  THE  TRUTH  THAT  THE  GURU  IS  THE  SAT-BODHAM  OR  THE  BEING-CONSCIOUSNESS  THAT  SHINES  ABIDING  AS  ALL  IN  ALL.

Yes, dear friend, you have said it beautifully: it is nothing but submitting of imaginary entity toward the Real and only our True Nature or Swarupa. It is not death. IT IS  THE  IMMORTAL  LIFE.  THE  MERGING  OF  THE  MIND  INTO  THE  HEART  IS  SIMILAR  TO  THE  MOONLIGHT  UNITING  WITH  AND  MERGING  INTO  THE  SUNLIGHT.  The analogy is quite apt because the light (consciousness) of the mind is reflected light exactly as the light of the moon is the reflected light. HEART  ALONE  IS  THE  ORIGINAL  LIGHT  OR  CONSCIOUSNESS  JUST  AS  THE  LIGHT  OF  THE  SUN  IS  THE  ORIGINAL  LIGHT.

Thanks very much, dear friend, Sri Jewell.
Pranam,
  Anil

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #3244 on: August 03, 2013, 03:57:12 PM »
Dear Sri Anil,

Thank You so much,for so kind,kind words!

It is not death. IT IS  THE  IMMORTAL  LIFE.  THE  MERGING  OF  THE  MIND  INTO  THE  HEART  IS  SIMILAR  TO  THE  MOONLIGHT  UNITING  WITH  AND  MERGING  INTO  THE  SUNLIGHT.  The analogy is quite apt because the light (consciousness) of the mind is reflected light exactly as the light of the moon is the reflected light. HEART  ALONE  IS  THE  ORIGINAL  LIGHT  OR  CONSCIOUSNESS  JUST  AS  THE  LIGHT  OF  THE  SUN  IS  THE  ORIGINAL  LIGHT.

Indeed,beautiful analogy. And,regarding our talk and all beautiful quotes You have posted about true nature of the Guru,i now understand Sri Sadhu Om saying that,lucky are the ones who are not able to be in Bhagavans presence,because it would be only obstacle,and they would see Him like body and just exceptional man. And Bhagavan is indeed not any of these,but,like You beautifully said,SAT-BODHAM  OR  THE  BEING-CONSCIOUSNESS  THAT  SHINES  ABIDING  AS  ALL  IN  ALL.

So wonderful talks from Bhagavan,the essence of His teaching.

“One ever is the Self. To ask oneself
‘Who and whereabouts am I?’
Is like the drunken man’s enquiring
‘Who am I?’ and ‘Where am I?
(Yes, it is funny!)

I guess,this is the reason they all say that we will laugh at our past efforts. So near,and we are searching it elsewhere...

Thank You Very much,dear friend!

With love and prayers,

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3245 on: August 04, 2013, 12:26:48 PM »
Sri Ramakrishna Paramhamsa:
“One must have Faith in the Guru’s Words. The Guru is none other than Satchidananda. God Himself is the Guru. If you only believe His words like a child, you realize God. What faith a child has!”

Dear Sri Jewell,

Moreover, accepting someone as the Guru means having total Faith, accepting someone as the Guru implies investing total Faith, as much as we are capable, in Him and His Words and what He says. Many of us here claim to have reached the Lotus Feet of Sri Bhagwan and accepted Him as our Guru. But what does it actually mean to accept Sri Bhagwan as our Guru? In my view, it means to believe in Sri Bhagwan’s Teaching and Words, like a child, as Sri Ramakrishna taught. It means that the moment we hear or read, the moment we become aware of what He has said and taught, verily those nectarine Words should become our experience. And what has Sri Bhagwan taught and said? Sri Bhagwan has taught that the Self alone IS and there is nothing but the Self, AND  THAT  THE  GURU  AND  THE  SELF  ARE  ONE  AND  THE  SAME. Therefore, if we have accepted Sri Bhagwan as the Guru, it also means that we experienced His Presence firmly within and without as the Self.

Moreover, Sri Bhagwan has taught, “Ask yourself ‘Who am I?’, you are told to concentrate within yourself where the ‘I’ thought arises. As the Self is not outside but inside you, you are asked to dive within, instead of going without,  AND  WHAT  CAN  BE  MORE  EASY  THAN  GOING  INTO  YOURSELF?”       

But many of us here find the Self-enquiry difficult. For many of us, it is easier to go WITHOUT than going WITHIN, even though they also felt that they had reached Sri Bhagwan’s Feet and grasped His Teaching. What an irony! Dr. Sarada has portrayed this predicament of the seekers and devotees so succinctly thus: 

“The first way in which we keep Self-enquiry at bay is by deciding that is not suitable for all. WHILE  IT  IS  TRUE  THAT  IT  IS  NOT  SUITABLE  FOR  ONE  WHO  DECIDES  THUS,  THE  VERY  MENTAL  OUTLOOK   BECOMING  A  STUMBLING  BLOCK  TO  SELF-ENQUIRY,  TO THINK  THAT  IT  REQUIRES  ANY  OTHER  COMPETENCE  IS  A MISNOMER. Self-enquiry, like any process or pursuit , does require a preparedness to follow it. Is it difficult to understand? Why, even young children respond when the idea is explained to them.

With a change in your name do you change?
‘No’, they chorus.
When your body grows is your sense of ‘I’ any different?
‘No’, they assert.
Is not the feeling of ‘I’ with you always?
‘Yes’.
HOLD ON TO THAT.”

Dr. Sarada writes further that the child is prepared, ready to experiment and find out for themselves. Could it be if it were difficult to understand? A grandmother, on the other hand, when told the same thing says ‘You make it simple. Is it really so simple? It couldn’t be! Is it, really? Then I will try!’ There is some resistance. It couldn’t be all that simple says her mind, but Sri Bhagwan has said it is simple. He has explained it to us in the simplest way, using our very natural daily experiences of sleep and waking, of health and disease, of pointing to ourselves as ‘I’ as ‘I’, directly to the spiritual centre , the Heart. If we make it sound complicated, it must only be to keep ourselves away from it, to escape it. Can there be anything easier to understand than the sense of ‘I’, so familiar, so much a part of our lives?  CAN  THERE  BE  ANYTHING  DEARER  TO  HOLD  ON  TO?

Dear friend, Sri Jewell, this is why Sri Bhagwan has emphasised on numerous occasions that the Self-enquiry is the easiest of all methods. THIS IS THE ONE INFALLIBLE METHOD.  This is why Sri Muruganar, the Poet of the Divine Court, sang:
“Lo! Very easy is Self-knowledge.”

Pranam,
  Anil           

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3246 on: August 04, 2013, 06:39:17 PM »
Sri Narendra sang:

I have made Thee, O Lord, the Pole-star of my life;
No more shall I lose my way on the world’s trackless sea.
Whatever I wander here, Thy brilliance shines undimmed;
With Thy serene and gracious light
Thou drivest all the tears out of my troubled soul.

In my heart’s inmost shrine Thy face ever beams;
If, for a moment even, I cannot find it there,
My soul is overwhelmed with woe;
And when my witless mind strays from the thought of Thee,
The vision of Thy face strikes me with deepest shame.

A devotee said to Sri Narendra, “Will you sing that one—O Mother, Thou my Inner Guide, ever awake within my heart?”
Master:  “Oh, no! Why that song now? The proper thing now is to sing of divine bliss—a song like ‘O Mother Shyama, full of the waves of drunkenness divine.’”   

Sri Narendra sang:

O Mother Shyama, full of the waves of drunkenness divine!
Who knows how Thou dost sport in the world?
Thy fun and frolic and Thy glances put to shame the god of love.
O Wielder of the sword! O Thou of terrifying face!
The earth itself is shaken under Thy leaps and strides!

O Thou Abode of the three gunas! O Redeemer ! Fearsome One!
Thou who art the Consort of Siva!
Many the forms Thou assume, fulfilling Thy bhaktas’ prayers.
Thou dancest in the Lotus of the Heart,
O Mother, Eternal Consort of Brahman!

Full of divine ecstasy, Narendra sang again and again the lines:

Thou dancest in the Lotus of the Heart,
O Mother, Eternal Consort of Brahman.

Sri Ramakrishna was dancing, drunk with divine love, and He sang again and again, “O Mother, Eternal Consort of Brahman!”
After dancing a long time Sri Ramakrishna resumed His seat. He was very much pleased to see Narendra in a spiritual mood, singing with tears in his eyes.
The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna

Pranam,
  Anil

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #3247 on: August 05, 2013, 02:52:42 AM »
Moreover, accepting someone as the Guru means having total Faith, accepting someone as the Guru implies investing total Faith, as much as we are capable, in Him and His Words and what He says. Many of us here claim to have reached the Lotus Feet of Sri Bhagwan and accepted Him as our Guru. But what does it actually mean to accept Sri Bhagwan as our Guru? In my view, it means to believe in Sri Bhagwan’s Teaching and Words, like a child, as Sri Ramakrishna taught. It means that the moment we hear or read, the moment we become aware of what He has said and taught, verily those nectarine Words should become our experience. And what has Sri Bhagwan taught and said? Sri Bhagwan has taught that the Self alone IS and there is nothing but the Self, AND  THAT  THE  GURU  AND  THE  SELF  ARE  ONE  AND  THE  SAME. Therefore, if we have accepted Sri Bhagwan as the Guru, it also means that we experienced His Presence firmly within and without as the Self.

Dear Sri Anil,

How true,how true! Yes,that is exsactly the way how we should look on our Guru,and how we should behave towards Him. We,indeed,must have complete faith and trust in Him,without any doubt whatsoever,like You said so beautifully,dear friend. It is uconditional faith,like Sri Ramakrishna has said. Like childs trust in his mother or father. He is everything,EVERYTHING! He is God,Guru,our true Self. Eternal teacher,eternal guide,eternal reality. His word is the first  and the last. He is indeed Alfa and Omega.

And how much resistance we give,how much struggle,how much fight,trying to understand... And all what we need to do is to follow his lead and gave him all ,simingly our,burden. What a silly thing is this ego.

Dr. Sarada writes further that the child is prepared, ready to experiment and find out for themselves. Could it be if it were difficult to understand? A grandmother, on the other hand, when told the same thing says ‘You make it simple. Is it really so simple? It couldn’t be! Is it, really? Then I will try!’ There is some resistance. It couldn’t be all that simple says her mind, but Sri Bhagwan has said it is simple. He has explained it to us in the simplest way, using our very natural daily experiences of sleep and waking, of health and disease, of pointing to ourselves as ‘I’ as ‘I’, directly to the spiritual centre , the Heart. If we make it sound complicated, it must only be to keep ourselves away from it, to escape it. Can there be anything easier to understand than the sense of ‘I’, so familiar, so much a part of our lives?  CAN  THERE  BE  ANYTHING  DEARER  TO  HOLD  ON  TO?

Dear friend, Sri Jewell, this is why Sri Bhagwan has emphasised on numerous occasions that the Self-enquiry is the easiest of all methods. THIS IS THE ONE INFALLIBLE METHOD.  This is why Sri Muruganar, the Poet of the Divine Court, sang:
“Lo! Very easy is Self-knowledge.”

Yes,absolutely true,dear Sri Anil. Absolutely! There indeed cannot be anything easier than Self enquiry,and we always tend to run away from it,to try some other metods and ways,even if we did not gave ourselves to this one completely. Ego has so much tricks,so much clever ways to run away from reality,to hide,to invent all sorts of excuses. We dont try,and already have resistance. And there is nothing more easier and nearest then I. We are with it the moment we open our eyes,and every single second that feeling is with us. And how it cannot be,when it is all we experience.
Yes,we cannot accept something so simple. Or better to say,ego wont accept it,coz it will be its death. I can see from my own experience that it have so subtle ways to hide,and to avoid practice. It uses so good certain characterictics of this personality,well,it is the personality... When i think about it,it is absolutely everything,everything i call I or myself. Find the inquirer,now seems so reasonable... Inquirer is just a smoke,nothing more,and behind him lies ever shining reality...

These are just spontaneous thoughts. But even they dont sound reasonable anymore. Every time something new is realized,but that really means nothing. All knowledge is useless.. completely!!! You realize this or that,but it is still you. Only self enquiry is of some help. We are coming back the way we came,like Bhagavan said. Only that can show us unreality of I.its nothingess... Mere thought,mere concept.

Anyway,i agree with You. I find self enquiry most easiest practice. That knowledge of I is there all the time,in the walking and dream state. It can be observed even when doing some usual daily things. We only need practice,and persistence in the beginning,coz our mind is in habit to run after thoughts,feelings,and dont bother about something so obvious. I could not use any other mettod,i would find much harder even some easiest mettods which people chose. Coz,for me,they are harder in fact. I must concentrate on something outside myself,which i truly find hard. This is somehow natural...

Well,this ego is indeed so heavy burden. it annoys me so much these days. :)

Thank You so much,dear friend,dear Sri Anil!

With love and prayers,
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 03:14:49 AM by Jewell »

cefnbrithdir

• View Profile
« Reply #3248 on: August 05, 2013, 02:05:16 PM »
Dear Sri Jewell

You wrote  " Inquirer is just a smoke, nothing more and behind him lies ever shining reality".

My problem is that I (ah!)  don't like "I" and to conceive in Inquiry  about "I" for me would be to introduce something entirely unnecessary for which you immediately need to get behind and "depth wise" beyond.

It is as you say unreal, just a smoke, so don't give it a capital letter.

me  (lower case) feels more comfortable. Then there are those who talk about "he" - jiva; He - Saint/Guru; HE - Reality. In this conception  He =HE and He = HE is within but  he is just nothing.  Or as you say "behind him (which is just smoke)  lies ever shining reality".

I am reminded that Bhagavan called himself "This" in his leaving note when he set out for Arunachala in search of his Father.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 02:09:06 PM by cefnbrithdir »

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #3249 on: August 05, 2013, 04:45:43 PM »
Dear Sri Cefnbrithdir,

Yes,You are quite right in some sense. Well,in many ways. But,the things is,enquiry is all about I,is'nt?
(it made it high case by itself,i think it is keyboard). Even if You did'nt quite pointed on that,but something more subttle and sublime,i believe. We indeed cannot hope to touch reality if we are coming from the body-mind point of view. Many times I imagine Maharaj telling me:"What I? Who are you? Stop all these nonsence!"

But,it somehow doas'nt work for me anymore,that assurance I am not the body. Actualy,that is also not whole truth,but I hope You will understand it thille the end of post. For the simple reason,it is again just the thought. And I find that it is not truly important what"i" think anymire,coz it makes me circle in thought-mind field,when true trancendence is free of them. Only complete silence,which is again possible only with enquiry,is what is asked for. Not thoughts,but Self attention. Which also happens when I listen Maharaj saying something. Then there is just a pause...

Also,i find that,for me,it is much better to talk from the my current,most common,standpoint,and not from something I have heard,even from my Guru. For the sake of conversation. It looks more honest,uand it makes me have sertain stability,or even,humility. That is something I have learned so far.  When I am in complete negation,it takes me to some,cold and dark state. It is also completely true that it is not important where that "i" is,and do it likes it,coz that is the whole point,but then,ego itself catch hold on it,and it masks itself with some new color,apparently non colorful state. Which is great danger. I become more self centered and proud. More then ever was. And,honestly,pride is most difficult stumble block from me. And with that He,i try to avoid it. That He brings me humility,most needed humility. And it is also Love,very natural,it is part of my being.

I can also not pay attention on all those mind games,and leave it just the way it is,but it somehow presumes some new identity,and I even dont notice it.

Also,no matter if it is actually seen,or felt,every thought,actualy our clinging to it,is making us back to Maya field. So I find that any thought is of any use whatsoever. Like,awareness=wakefulness/thoughts=sleep. And alternating like that.

Thats why,i find only silence essential for growt. Thought,no matter how noble,is still a thought. Truly,like I said to Sri Anil,only Selfenquiry helps me,and devotion to God and Guru. I know they are just Ultimate Reality,not something personal,but I find quite true that they are manifestation of Divinity,and like that should be worshiped. Esspecially now,when we need humility and surrender.

Althrogh,i agree with You in a sense,but find that there is unique way how we all should approach this.
Even if whole truth is just that what You have said,without I whatsoever. So any special reverence should not be given to it.

I hope this have some sense,coz now nothing have any sense...

With love and prayers,
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 03:43:13 AM by Jewell »

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #3250 on: August 05, 2013, 04:57:14 PM »
I just made some changes in the post.

And realise all this can freely go with the wind,coz all is from body -mind point of view. That much about it. :)

With love and prayers,

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3251 on: August 05, 2013, 05:37:46 PM »
Quote from Sri Jewell:

“I can see from my own experience that it have so subtle ways to hide, and to avoid practice.”
“You realize this or that, but it is still you. Only self enquiry is of some help. We are coming back the way we came, like Bhagavan said. Only that can show us unreality of I. its nothingness... Mere thought, mere concept.”

Dear Sri Jewell,

I remained awake last night on duty and didn’t feel well enough to respond to your post today. But when I saw Sri cefnbrithir’s post, I felt prompted to immediately respond to your as well as Sri cefnbrithir’s post.
Yes. You always touch that aspect of the sadhana which I myself wished to contemplate upon. Upon seeking the pseudo subject or the aham-vritti or the ego-‘I’ or the ‘I’-thought, until all thoughts and objects disappear, the Supreme Self or the Absolute or Pure ‘I’ alone remains. When the searchlight of the Enquiry is focussed unceasingly on the ego, it becomes subtler and subtler and ultimately disappears. At this stage of the sadhana of the Enquiry, what is needed is to fix the attention on the Pure ‘I’ after the subsidence of all thoughts and not to lose hold of It. This has to be understood and described as an extremely subtle thought, else It cannot be spoken of at all, since It is no other than the Real Self. Who is there to speak of It , to whom and how? Dear friend, Sri Bhagwan has taught that though in sleep the Awareness of the Self is not lost, our ignorance is not destroyed. For this ignorance to be destroyed, this subtle state of the mind called Vritti-Jnanam  is necessary. Sri Bhagwan has taught that this subtle state of thought or the mind must be won by Enquiry or meditation to destroy the ignorance. This subtle state of the mind is not a vritti in the sense that it is not the modification of the mind.  I wish to explain the difference between Jnana and Vritti-Jnanam in my next post to Sri cefnbrithir. However, I must mention here that the effort in the form of the Enquiry is our own whereas the Jnanam is the Supreme’s Own.

My dear friend, Sri Jewell, Sri Bhagwan has taught unambiguously that to see wherefrom this ahamkara or the ego rises and  TO  GO  BACK  TO  ITS  SOURCE  IS  THE  ONLY  WAY.  We always want a WAY  OR  A  PATH. Hence Sri Bhagwan has taught that  TO  GO  BACK  BY  THE  SAME  WAY  BY  WHICH  WE  CAME  IS  THE  ONL Y WAY. This is the Way which all great ones trod and went away.
Sri Bhagwan: If you go, you go away. That is all. There is nothing more. You won’t come back. Because you asked ‘which way’, I said ‘The way you came’. But who are you? Where are you now and where do you want to go, that one may show the way? ALL THESE QUESTIONS WILL HAVE TO BE FIRST ANSWERED.  SO THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IS TO FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE. Then all else will be solved.

Pranam,
  Anil   

Note: Dear freind, I shall rspond to your last two posts under this tread as soon as I get well and and have some free time.  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3252 on: August 05, 2013, 05:50:57 PM »
Quote from Sri cefnbrithir:
My problem is that I (ah!) don't like "I" and to conceive in Inquiry about "I" for me would be to introduce something entirely unnecessary for which you immediately need to get behind and "depth wise" beyond.

It is as you say unreal, just a smoke, so don't give it a capital letter.

me (lower case) feels more comfortable. Then there are those who talk about "he" - jiva; He - Saint/Guru; HE - Reality. In this conception He =HE and He = HE is within but he is just nothing. Or as you say "behind him (which is just smoke) lies ever shining reality".

Dear Sri cefnbrithir,

Sri Bhagwan has taught that the Supreme Being is unmanifest and the first sign of manifestation is Aham Sphurna, that is, the Light of ‘I’. He became ‘I’ named. Therefore, ‘I’ is the Original Name of the Reality. Of course, It does not say ‘I’. It simply abides. What need is there for It to say ‘I’, after all? Do we go about brandishing or chanting our names, anil, anil, anil or cefnbrithir, cefnbrithir, etc…? This is convinced that this is anil and remains as such. That is all.  WE ARE WHAT IS. That which is, Is. Sri Bhagwan has taught that all the troubles arise by having a conception of It. Mind comes in. It has a conception and all troubles follow. Problem is we become aware of ourselves only when the modification arise in the intellect.
Therefore, IF WE ARE AS WE ARE, WITHOUT A MIND AND ITS VARIOUS CONCEPTIONS AND THOUGHTS, WE ARE BACK HOME.

Dear Sri cefnbrithir, your question is deeply probing and this is why I felt prompted to respond though I am not feeling quite well today due to exertion in the night on flood control duty.
Dear friend, Sri cefnbrithir,  ‘aham-vritti’ is the activity of the ego. Vritti Jnanam is the Realisation of Jnana.  WE   MUST   UNDERSTAND   THAT   REALISATION   IS   ALWEAYS   A   VRITTI or modification.  REALISATION  IS  THE  VRITTI  JNANAM. There is a difference between  VRITTI  JNANAM  OR  REALISATION  AND  THE  SELF  OR  THE  SWARUPA  THE  REAL.

Swarupa is the Jnana Itself. It is Being-Consciousness-Bliss. Which is Omnipotent and Omniscient. It is always there, self-attained. WHEN WE REALISE IT, THE REALISATION IS CALLED THE VRITTI JNANAM.

Therefore, it follows that it is with reference to our mundane existence that we talk of Realization or of Jnana. We must also understand that when we talk of Jnana, we always mean only Realization or the Vritti Jnana and not Swaroopa Jnana, for the Swarupa is always the Jnana (Consciousness)— always. Who will speak of It, to whom and how?

So then, the search for the Source of the aham-vritti or the ego is the search for the very Source Itself from which arises the ‘I am’-ness.

THE QUEST FOR AND REALIZATION OF THE SOURCE OF THE EGO-‘I’ NECESSARILY IMPLIES TRANSCENDENCE OF THE EGO IN EVERY ONE OF ITS POSSIBLE FROMS.

Therefore, whether you give it a capital letter or a small one, it always is unreal or the smoke. However, if smoke is rising, we must trace the Source of the smoke (ego-‘I’) and reach the fire (Fire of Knowledge) from where it is emanating.

Thanks very much, dear friend, Sri cefnbrithir.
Pranam,
  Anil

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #3253 on: August 05, 2013, 06:24:22 PM »
Dear Sri Anil,

I wish You to get well soon,dear friend!!!

I will respond to You after Your post,but dont hury,just have rest.

With love and prayers,

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #3254 on: August 05, 2013, 07:06:40 PM »
Only to add what I have said,about complete negation,in the post to Sri Cefnbrithdir,that all this is the way it is,ego boasting,and all,because it is only apparent negation. Or it is like that coz it is coming from the same ego... If that makes any sense. But,again,to touch Reality,Silence is necessary.

With love and prayers,