Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 758305 times)

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #3195 on: July 08, 2013, 02:17:08 PM »
Dear Sri Anil,

I am very happy to see You posting,because,i have wondered where have You been. I am also very sorry to hear about floods in Your state. There is similar problem here in Serbia when it is too much raining. But i guess i cannot even imagine what is like there,because of monsoons and position of Bihar. I hope and pray everything will end soon,with not much demaage. You have a very noble job,dear Sri Anil.
We will wait eagerly for Your posts here at our home.
   when we have not known the True ‘I’, or the Self, WHILE THE SEARCH IS STILL ON, WHAT DO THE THOUGHTS AND MOODS OF THE STRANGER, THAT IS, THE EGO ‘I’ MATTER?  Why not, then, allow the Silence of the Self, in which there is not even the least rising of the ‘I’-thought,  to take over and forget the mind’s hassles and simply ignore them?  

How wonderful words from You,my dear friend! And how beautiful and insightful post! It left me in silence,and brought me such,gentle assurance,very related to my own state right now,and thoughts which bothered me. Or may i say,related to the state of this ego and so called person only,which You so beautifuly pointed. Beautiful!
Indeed,all these states,all these thoughts belong to this very ego only;that is something we all need to be aware of,and every time these same thoughts try to seduce us,to bring back our attention to ourselves. You remind me always on that with Your posts,and constant reminders to do Self enquiry and stay still. Which again reminds me who is the one who is adressed to be still,and we are back on the track,on this beautiful path if Self attention,which our Bhagavan,our Guru pointed always.

And yes,only thing which brought us here,and is doing all the work,is only Bhagavan's Grace! Only Him and Arunachala can bring us back to ourselves. All is their love,and their Glory! And soon we realise that,and submit our little selves to them,and Self enquiry us nothing but that,soon we will come to see that there is nothing else but the Self only,where only Bliss and sweet Silence prevails.

Thank You Very much,my dear friend,dear Sri Anil!

With love and prayers,

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3196 on: July 09, 2013, 05:29:42 PM »
Quote from Sri Jewell:
“Quote
when we have not known the True ‘I’, or the Self, WHILE THE SEARCH IS STILL ON, WHAT DO THE THOUGHTS AND MOODS OF THE STRANGER, THAT IS, THE EGO ‘I’ MATTER? Why not, then, allow the Silence of the Self, in which there is not even the least rising of the ‘I’-thought, to take over and forget the mind’s hassles and simply ignore them?

Indeed, all these states, all these thoughts belong to this very ego only; that is something we all need to be aware of, and every time these same thoughts try to seduce us, to bring back our attention to ourselves. You remind me always on that with Your posts, and constant reminders to do Self enquiry and stay still. Which again reminds me who is the one who is addressed to be still, and we are back on the track, on this beautiful path of Self attention, which our Bhagavan, our Guru pointed always.”

Dear Sri Jewell,

“Which again reminds me who is one who addressed to be still, and we are back on track, on this beautiful path of Self-attention, which our Bhagwan, our Guru pointed out.”

Yes. This, in my view, is a very important insight so far as the Path of Enquiry or Self-attention, as taught by Bhagwan Sri Ramana, is concerned. From your above beautiful lines, it is obvious to me that you have seized on the ego by the scruff of the neck. Yes, the ego is very tenacious with its impregnable, in-built defence mechanism. The ego’s main hide-out is identification, that is, it escapes searchlight of Enquiry by resorting to gross or subtle identifications or by resorting to the world of concepts and ideas.
               For instance, when we battle and try to do away with its presence, it is very much there in its very denial, it is very much there in one who so fights it, in its being done away with. This is why Sri Bhagwan taught that as and when identification arises, we should shift the focus of attention on to its Source, that is, the sense of ‘I’ or Existence. The ego is then automatically rejected, neglected and done away with. Dear friend, Source-attention is the Hallmark of Sri Bhagwan’s Teaching of the Path of Atma-Vichara.  Since the searchlight is turned on the very basis of our Existence or on the very basis of the illusory, little subject or the ego, Sri Bhagwan termed it as the ‘non-objective Enquiry’ or non-dual Enquiry. However, question will arise as to who pays the attention? It implies the practitioner, the practice and the practiced which means the presence of the ego. So, Sri Bhagwan taught that one begins with the mind but the mind gets dissolved in the process. When the funeral pyre is stirred, the stick burns too and by the time pyre is burnt fully, stick also gets burnt down. However, if the stick is not burnt by then, stirring stick is also thrown in the flames.   

Dear friend, Sri Jewell, we are aware that when we seek to hold on to the sense of ‘I’, only consciousness remains and all objective awareness is dropped away.  And if we continue to hold the sense of ‘I’ exclusively, even subtler identification gradually drops away, leaving only the Awareness. All these identifications—gross or subtle—are sucked into the Self. State of effortlessness begins to dawn. It paves way for the easy attention on the consciousness aspect of the ego or the individuality.

Ego then sensing a threat to its sovereignty may resort to subtle identification, such as, resorting to concepts and ideas about the Self or the Bliss of the Self. The ego may get stuck in enjoying the bliss with ‘enjoyer’ still intact. IT IS IN THIS SENSE THAT EVEN THE EXPEREINCE OF BLISS IS SAID TO BE AN OBSTACLE TO SELF-REALISATION.  THEREFORE, ANY EXPEREINCE WHATEVER POSITS AN EXPEREINCER AND SO THE EGO REMAINS.

My dear friend, Sri Jewell, so yes, you are, in my view, cent percent right when you say that we must be wary of the ego’s subtle identification and subtle ploys to escape its resolution and dissolution. Sri Bhagwan revealed a grand solution by teaching that we should shift the focus of our attention to the Source of our very individuality.  AT THE CULMINATION OF THE PATH ONLY PURE AWARENESS REMAINS.

Thanks very much, dear friend, Sri Jewell.
               Pranam,
               Anil     

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3197 on: July 11, 2013, 10:09:01 AM »
Dear Devotees,

Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is the Supreme, Direct and Straight Path because it alone can show at once that the ego is a mere reflection and mind is mere insubstantial shadow— directly and straight. It alone can dent the false but persistent belief that the ego-mind is for real and therefore it can be controlled or reined in by physical or mental  mind control techniques.
So, ego-mind is just a shadow and shadow cannot be caught or buried. Who wants to do away with the ego-mind? It is the ego-mind. But how can ego-mind kill itself? It can only connive to escape the axe of the Enquiry by identifying with the very attempt to destroy itself summarily. Hence, any attempt to catch  and rein or control it is sure to  prove futile ultimately. THERE IS NO CONTROLLING THE SHADOW. There is no use chasing the shadow. So, as the only way to comprehend the shadow is by putting our hand on our head, so also the only way to comprehend the shadow mind is by going back to the Source of the shadow-mind. So-called mind control techniques are akin to chasing shadow mind and shadow thoughts with shadow techniques. 

This is why Sri Bhagwan and other great Gurus and Even Sacred Texts always tried to teach through the great and apt analogy of the snake and rope. The great Gurus kept on bringing this analogy to drive home the truth that the snake only exists as an idea in our mind. This patently wrong idea that there is a snake may cause fear and anxiety and we may even be wondering and even devising ways and means to do away with the illusory snake, the fact remains that there is no snake outside our imagination.  What is the solution? The only solution is to see the rope. WHEN  OUR  SEEINFG  IS  TRUE,  WE  SEE  THAT  THE  SANKE  HAS  BEEN  FALSELY SUPERIMPOSED  ON   THE  SUBSTRATUM  OF  THE  ROPE.  Therefore, when we see the rope, the idea that that there is a snake, vanishes at once. Does it not? Is it the real snake which thus vanished? No. THE  ONLY THING  THAT  VANISHED  IS  THE  WRONG  AND ERRONEOUS  IDEA AND  IMAGINATION. 

Dear devotees, as the substratum upon which the false idea of the snake has been superimposed is the ROPE, likewise, THE  SUBSTARTUM  UPON  WHICH  THE  FALSE  AND ILLUSORY  IDEA  OF  THE  MIND  HAS  BEEN  SUPERIMPOSED  IS TH E SELF.  Sri Bhagwan has taught that when we see the mind, the Self, the underlying substratum, is not seen. And conversely, when the Self is seen or revealed, there is no mind.

Therefore, it follows that the Self is concealed by only a false and illusory, but persistent idea that ‘I am this ‘body-mind-ego’  complex. The Enquiry ushers in understanding and knowledge that the body-ego-mind never really existed. In Self-realization there is no trace of the mind. THEREFORE, IT  FOLLOWS  THAT  SELF-REALISATION  HAPPENS  WHEN   WE  REACH  UNAMBIGUOUS  UNDERTSTANDING  AND  KNOW  BEYOND  AN  IOTA   OF  DOUBT  BY ENQUIRY  THAT  THE  MIND NEVER REALLY EXISTED.  It is a mere recognition of what is eternally real and true, and simultaneously abandoning as jetsam the mistaken ideas about the reality of this ephemeral shadow we call the mind. Enquiry exposes it as such and its insubstantiality is revealed, and that is the Self-realization.

Dear devotees, so long as the false, illusory and imagined ideas and concepts are hiding the Self or our own INFINITE SWARUPA, we need to do sadhana constantly till the last vestige of wrong ideas are eradicated completely.  We must make an enormous, determined effort with perseverance to realize the Self, for that alone is the Goal of life.  WE  MUST  DO  SELF-ENQUIRY   TILL  WE  ARE   FULLY  ESTABLISHED   IN  OUR  ATMA-SWARUPA. Persistent belief that we are the body-mind must be countered by the persistent attack ‘Who am I?’, till the ego dissolves in the Bliss of the Self.  Mere dips into the Self are not enough. Self-abidance must become steady and natural till the Bliss of Awareness shines forth unbroken. That is the only real Goal.  ALL  OTHER  GOALS  ARE  THOUGHTS  AND  SHADOWS.  WE  MUST  CEASE  TO  CHASE  SHADOW ,  BE  STILL  AND  KNOW  THAT  WE  ARE  GOD!  REMEMBER , SRI BHAGWAN  ONCE  TAUGHT  SRI  ANNAMALAI  SWAMI  THAT  THE SADHANA  OF  THE  SELF-ENQUIRY  WAS   LIKE  TRAVELLING  IN  A  JNANA  ROCKET.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3198 on: July 12, 2013, 02:09:04 PM »
The waters rise up from the sea as clouds, then fall as rain and run back to the sea in streams; nothing can keep them from returning to their source. Likewise the soul rising up from Thee cannot be kept from joining Thee again, although it turns in many eddies on its way. A bird which rises from the earth and soars into the sky can find no place of rest in midair, but must return again to earth. So indeed must all retrace their path, and when the soul finds the way back to its source, it will sink and be merged in Thee, Oh Arunachala, thou ocean of bliss!
V. 8, Eight Stanzas to Sri Arunachala

Dear Devotees,

In the analogy of the snake and the rope, if we imagine the rope as the snake, the real nature of the rope is hidden from us.  However, if we see the rope, the snake is simply not there. Therefore, if we see truly that the snake never existed at any time, the question of how to kill the snake disappears and does not arise again. Likewise, if we understand through the Enquiry that the ‘little self’ or the ego never at any time had any ‘existence’ outside our imagination, we will not bother about ways and means of getting rid of it.  AS  THE  SNAKE  GIVES  WAY  TO  THE ROPE   OR  THE  SNAKE  IS  MERGED  IN  THE  ROPE,  SO  ALSO,  THE  ‘LITTLE  SELF’  OR  THE  EGO  GIVES  WAY  TO  THE  SUPREME  SELF.  On the contrary, if we take the appearance of the snake in the rope to be real and think up furiously many different ways of killing it, can we ever succeed until we give up the idea that there is snake at all there? There is the same problem with the killing or controlling the ego or the mind. If we imagine that there is a real mind which needs to be killed or controlled or beaten into submission, can we ever succeed? If instead, we intuitively understand, know and generate conviction beyond an iota of doubt, through Enquiry, that there is no such thing as the mind, all our problems would come to an end and ‘little self’ or the ego would merge, of its own accord, into the Self, like a river when it joins the ocean. How beautifully the extinction of the ‘little self’ or the ‘I’-thought in the Supreme Self has been brought out by Sri Bhagwan in the simile of the river merging into the ocean ! 

Dear devotees, after saying a few words on the wonderful analogy of the ‘snake in the rope’, I wish to say a few words on the equally wonderful simile of a ‘river when it merges into the ocean’ as follows:   

A river is ever running to join the ocean which is its only goal. Is it not? Is it not then rather strange that the river, ever running and flowing towards the ocean only, should have run along the valleys and plains, getting meandered, sometimes losing itself in sand and sometimes in cavities , depressions, ponds, chaurs, etc., flooding and submerging, and thus dancing to its own tune as if it is ignorant of the goal or the ocean and has nothing to do with it? So also, the ‘little self’ or the ego is ever in CONSCIOUS OR UNCONSCIOUS  search of its True Home or the Self or the Swarupa even while it imagines that it reigns. 

Therefore, the truth is we are ever in conscious or unconscious search of ourselves. THE  SELF-ENQUIRY  MAKES  THIS  GREAT  SEARCH  A  CONSCIOUS  ONE.  EVEN  WHILE  THE  SEARCH  IS  ON  AND   HAS  NOT  YET  CULMINATED  IN  REALISATION,  ONE  HAS,   FOR  SURE,  THE   FORETASTE OF  THE  JOY  OF  FULLNESS   OF  AWARENESS. The ego is tempted with joy of frequent dips into the Bliss of the Self  with the assurance of yet vaster and vaster Bliss forthcoming  until the ‘little self’ is drowned into the Ocean of Nectar,  the Self or Sri Arunachala, just as a rogue cow is tempted with luscious fodder until it does not stray outside and stays in home at the stall.

One who wants  tangible progress immediately may feel dismay  and therefore may think that Realization will happen only after several births and may also conclude that the Enquiry is a long drawn out method. But this thought is a fallacy and an obstacle to Realization. TIME IS NOT AND PROGRESS IS NOT DISCERNIBLE TO ONESELF.  Guru alone knows. However, dear devotees, I wish to add that this great search is not an unending one. There is an end to it with the end of imagination.  Constant vigilance, till merger of the ‘little self’ into the real Self, is the watchword. REMEMBER ,  WE  HAVE  RISEN   FROM  SRI  ARUNACHALA  AND  NOTHING   IN  THE  THREE WORLDS  CAN  KEEP  US  FROM   RETURNING  TO  HIM!

“He who turns inward with untroubled mind to search where the consciousness of ‘I’ arises, realizes the Self, and dissolves in Thee O Arunachala! Like a river when it joins the ocean.”

V. 3, Sri Arunachala Pancharatna
Thanks very much.
 Pranam,
   Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3199 on: July 13, 2013, 03:43:58 PM »
When the inert nature, the body ego, dies, the jiva whose form is the chit-jada knot shines as pure consciousness. Because that consciousness firmly abides in the Heart as non-dual being, in  that state only the unalloyed bliss, the Atma-swarupa that is without a trace of sorrow, is unceasingly experienced.
V. 973, GVK, Edited by Sri David Godman

Dear Devotees,

The ego is a knot. The ego is the link between spirit and matter.  This knot is said to be the knot of the radical ignorance in which we are steeped. When this knot is cut asunder, by Enquiry, we reach the Centre of the Real, that is, Heart. The ego or ‘I’-thought which is of the form ‘I am so and so’ consists of two parts, ‘I am’ and ‘so and so’.  The part ‘I am’ is the consciousness and the other part ‘so and so’ is the insentient matter. The ego-‘I’ serves as a bridge between the Consciousness from which it originates and the matter with which it associates. Thus the ego knot is the link between the Self and the body. The Self is Consciousness and the body is the matter.  This Knot is also known as the ‘chit-jada-granthi’ because it is the ‘granthi’ or knot which ties the inert body to the consciousness.

Sri Bhagwan taught that if one enquired, ‘What is this mind?’, there will be no mind. To understand and grasp this truth, we must have clarity regarding the ego knot. What is a knot? Knot is an arrangement, a device, to bind together two disparate entities. Two pieces of ropes can be tied together by means of a knot, or a rope may be tied to a bucket, or a thread may get twisted and knotted. But the knot we are discussing is not an ordinary knot. This knot seems to divide the One into two and even seems to bind That which is impossible to bind. This ego knot seems to bind the unthinkable, that is, the Self, and the body, or the consciousness and the insentient matter, or life and lifelessness, together.
But how can the Eternal, All-pervading Consciousness-Existence be bound to the body which is subject to birth, death, decay and disease? Sri Bhagwan reveals that there arises a ghost or a phantom-like,  third entity that seems to act as a link between the Infinite Consciousness of the Self and the body and which in truth is the basis for the appearance of all illusion whatever.

Dear devotees, this is the famous or infamous knot which derives consciousness from the Self and superimposes it in the body, creating a false sense of sentience in the insentient body, which subsequently gives rise to the ‘I am the body’ idea. Therefore, this is our so-called ego or the ‘I’-thought. This ego alone is the basis of myriad identifications.  APPARENTLY  THIS  KNOT IS   VERY  POWERFUL .

Sri Muruganar:
“The death of the body ego signifies the cutting of the chit-jada knot, which is the separation, THROUGH Enquiry of the body and consciousness that had become one through ignorance.”

SO, WHAT HAPPENS   TO   THE   KNOT   WHEN   IT   IS  UNKNOTTED?

Dear devotees, when a knot is untied, it simply ceases to exist though the two entities, bound together by means of the knot, continue to exist, independently of each other, even after untying the knot. Therefore, a knot has no existence of its own. It has no separate and independent existence apart from being a mere link. THUS  IF  WE  UNDERSTAND  THE  NATURE  OF  THE  MIND  OR  THE  ‘I’-THOUGHT  TO  BE  A  MERE  KNOT, WE WOULD  SIMULTANEOUSLY  KNOW THAT  IT  DOES  NOT  EXIST,  OR  THERE  IS  NO  SUCH  THING  AS  THE  MIND  OR  THE  EGO. 

If the identifications with the name and form is cut off, the ego knot is unknotted and thus ceases to exist.

This is the ego’s secret. It is a mere link. It has no power of its own. It is not even an independent entity, if I may call it an entity at all.

Dear devotees, are we a mere link that is absolutely non-existent when unknotted? THE  REPEATED  ONSLAUGHT  OF  THE  ENQUIRY  WILL  CERTAINLY  UNDO  THIS  KNOT  AND  THE  CONSCIOUSNESS  AND  THE  BODY  WILL  BE  SEPARATED.

And what is the mark of the excellence of the ‘granthi bheda’? Self shines forth unhampered, and the Experience of Bliss without the experiencer is unbroken by the obstructing, infamous ego knot.

Thanks very much.
 Pranam,
  Anil

Beloved Abstract

• View Profile
    • David Ford Art
« Reply #3200 on: July 13, 2013, 09:02:53 PM »
OMG  what a long story !
when will it end ?
ha ha ha
 :)
simply stop telling the story of the self and see who you are without it

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #3201 on: July 13, 2013, 09:11:01 PM »
OMG  what a long story !
when will it end ?
ha ha ha

The story would end when the reader of the story is enquired about and sought its source!

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Beloved Abstract

• View Profile
    • David Ford Art
« Reply #3202 on: July 13, 2013, 09:18:44 PM »
Nagaraj    ;)
simply stop telling the story of the self and see who you are without it

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3203 on: July 14, 2013, 09:05:04 AM »
Who sees the snake in the rope?
There is no snake except in our imagination.
Surrender and lo! There is no mind, there is no snake.
Then you are in equilibrium with what is and what is happening.
Then you do not see either the story or its reader, or its teller, or the forum, and so on.
Then you do not care whether the story is short or long, or whether it will end soon or go on forever. 
Then non-vichara will not assail you and there will be no cause for worry, for there will be no snake.
Do Vichara, hold the Real and play in the unreal.
 Since you know that there is nothing unreal, ALL IS THE SELF. If you are in Peace with Yourself, nothing exists outside to disturb that Repose, that EQUILLIBRIUM, that Beatitude.
TILL THEN  THERE WILL BE STORIES AND THERE WILL BE ‘YOU’ TO SEE THEM.  SEE WHO YOU ARE WITH OR WITHOUT THE STORY.  That, in my view, is the true seeing, for you do not react FROM WITHIN in that seeing. PEACE PREVAILS.

Pranam
Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3204 on: July 14, 2013, 06:53:53 PM »
Dear Devotees,

One who does not know may think that waves are different from the ocean and may, on seeing the waves in the ocean,  even feel that the waves are veiling the ocean,  whereas a person who knows that waves are not different from the ocean will  never feel so, for he knows that waves are verily the ocean.
Likewise, we may feel from the state of ignorance that thoughts are other than ourselves and they distract our attention from the Self, whereas a Realized One knows that thoughts are not other than Himself. He knows that thoughts are not apart from the Self and have no independent existence but APPEAR  TO  EXIST DEPENDING  UPON  HIS  OWN  EXISTENCE.  A Realized One will never think that thoughts have distracted His attention from the Self. He  knows  through His unshakeable Self-awareness that thoughts cannot exist without the Self and therefore rise of any number of thoughts can never make Him Feel that he has lost the Self-attention  or the Self-abidance.

Thanks very much.
  Pranam,
   Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3205 on: July 15, 2013, 04:18:27 PM »
Sri Bhagwan:
“Everyone is aware of the eternal Self. He sees so many dying but still believes himself eternal because it is the truth. Unwillingly the natural truth asserts itself. The man is deluded by the intermingling  of the conscious Self with the insentient body. This delusion must end.”

Dear Devotees,

WE  LOVE  EXISTENCE  AND  HATE  DEATH.  Do we not?  We see so many dying all around us, but still why do we feel that we are eternal, why do we believe, deep down, that we will, somehow, live on and on? Sri Bhagwan taught that the natural truth asserted itself. THEREFORE,  EXISTENCE  IS  SO  NATURAL  TO  US  THAT  WE  FIND  IT  DIFFICULT  TO  BELIEVE  IN  DEATH,  THAT  WE  WILL  EVER  DIE.  Even wishing death on ourselves, except in some rare cases, is more an intellectual fancy rather than an actual invitation to death.

Dear devotees, Guru, Bhagwan Sri Ramana has taught that there can be no feeling of existence without That which exists always. Feeling of existence is eternal, and it is this ever-present feeling of existence that is reflected in our behavior. Our behavior always implies our belief that we shall not die in near or distant future and all of us have the feeling, deep down, that we are immortal. UNWILLINGLY  NATURAL  TRUTH  ASSERTS  ITSELF AND THEREFORE THERE  IS  NO  WONDER  AND  NOTHING  EXTRAORDINARY  ABOUT  IT.

We resist what is unnatural to us and accept what is natural. We all wish, work and pray for the good health and abhor disease. Do we not?  Our behavior obviously implies that we believe in existence and make all-out every possible effort to resist death. Sri Bhagwan taught that this is so because THERE IS SOMETHING WHICH EVER IS, AS EXISTENCE, AND THIS ALONE IS OUR TRUE NATURE. This is why all living creatures have an unshakeable feeling of existence.

Dear devotees, IT IS THEREFORE NATURAL FOR US TO BELIEVE IN EXISTING AND NOT IN DEATH.
 At death, only ‘so and so’ disappears or dies, ‘I AM’ REMAINS.  ‘I AM’ is the Self, the Self is the Pure Consciousness. The Self is always there. IT   IS   ‘YOU’.  THERE   IS   NOTHING   BUT   ‘YOU’.  NOTHING   CAN   THEREFORE   EVER   BE   APART   FROM   ‘US’, FOR   WE OURSELVES   ARE   EXISTENCE   ABSOLUTE.   

ALAS ! We are Existence Absolute but not aware of it as such!
WHO IS NOT AWARE OF THE EXISTENCE?
The ‘I’-thought or the ego only says that it is not realized.
Can the insentient thought ever know the Existence-Consciousness?

Existence remains unaffected and untrammeled through the vicissitudes of identity and associated thoughts and even in the state of ignorance It cannot be veiled completely, for one is always aware of It, UNMISTAKENABLY, always.  But, remember, this ‘feeling of awareness of existence is only like the TIPS OF THE ICEBERG.

DEAR  DEVOTEES,  IT  FOLLOWS  FROM  THE  ABOVE  DISCUSSION  THAT  WE  INDEED  ARE  VERY  FAMILIAR  WITH  THE  EXISTENCE,  THROUGH  EXPEREINCE  IF  NOT  THROUGH  THOUGHT,  WORD,  AND VOCABULARY.   

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
   Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3206 on: July 16, 2013, 04:36:22 PM »
Quote from my previous post:
“We resist what is unnatural to us and accept what is natural. We all wish, work and pray for the good health and abhor disease. Do we not? Our behavior obviously implies that we believe in existence and make all-out every possible effort to resist death. Sri Bhagwan taught that this is so because THERE IS SOMETHING WHICH EVER IS, AS EXISTENCE, AND THIS ALONE IS OUR TRUE NATURE. This is why all living creatures have an unshakeable feeling of existence.”

Dear Devotees, 
We resist what is unnatural and accept what is natural. But ‘I am the body or the mind’ state is not our natural state. Sri Bhagwan taught that the body was itself a disease. Therefore, Self alone ever Is and Self alone is out True Nature. This block of a body is inert like the log of wood, not only after death, but even at the time of birth. Body and the mind are animated by the Self. A Realized One shines as the Self whether the body or the mind are there or not. Hence, we must understand that the body and the mind can do nothing at all whatever by themselves. We couldn’t even eat, speak, move, read, write, or do anything, without the Self. All activities are possible only in the Presence of the Self only, just as all activities begin on the earth with the rise of the sun.

If we wish to keep the body healthy and always in good condition, there is, in my view, nothing wrong with that. What is wrong is the belief that ‘I am this body’. We keep our house in good condition, our car in good working order, our shirts and trousers washed and ironed, without believing that we are either our house, or our car or our shirts and trousers, etc. Therefore, it follows that we are neither our house, nor our car, nor our shirts and trousers, NOR OUR BODY. All these certainly belong to me but I am not these. All these, including the body, are there, sure, to perish. But the Self will continue because the Self, That or that ‘Something’ Which ever Is, is always there.

Therefore, if we identify ourselves with the transient things that pass away or perish, we too certainly will one day pass away and perish. HOWEVER, IF  WE  DO  ENQUIRY  AND  CEASE  TO  RISE  AS  THE  JIVA  OR  THE  CREATURE  AND  INSTEAD  INDENTIFY  OURSELVES  WITH  THE  SELF,  WE  CANNOT  PASS  AWAY  AND  PERISH OR CHANGE IN ANY WAY. There is no birth, no death, no bondage, no sorrow, no disease, no old age for the Self. All these are attributes of ever changing bodies and minds and not of the Self. 

Dear devotees, ALL-PERVADING  AND  ETERNAL  SELF  IS  OUR  TRUE  NATURE  AND  IT  IS  THEREFORE  NATURAL  FOR  US  TO  BELIEVE  IN  EXISTING  AND  NOT  IN  DEATH  IN  SPITE  OF  SEEING  DEATH  AND  DECAY  ALL  ROUND  US  ALL  THE  TIME  IN  THE   PHENOMENAL  WORLD.

What follows is an instructive conversation:
Sri Bhagwan: Who are you?
D: I am Narayanaswami.
Sri Bhagwan : Is it the body, the mouth or the hands that represent the ‘I’ you are talking about?
D: The mouth, the tongue, the body, all together constitute the ‘I’.
Sri Bhagwan : What does your body consists of but hands, legs, nose and so on. Are you your hands? Can you not exist without your hands?
D: I can exist without my hands. So I am not my hands.
Sri Bhagwan: For the same reason you are not the legs, nose, eyes, and so on.
D: Just so.
Sri Bhagwan : If you are not the parts you are not also the whole body.
D: How does it follow?
Sri Bhagwan : What BELONGS to you is your PROPERTY  and not YOURSELF.
D: I now realize I am different from my body, but I cannot however clearly see the line of  demarcation between my body and my ’Self’. I cannot see who I am.
Sri Bhagwan : GO AND PUT THE QUESTION TO YOUR SELF AND YOU WILL KNOW WHO YOU ARE.

Dear devotees, Sri Arthur Osborne has written that Sri Bhagwan, after reporting to the Father of His arrival in the Great Temple, threw away His remaining money, never to touch it again. He is said to have thrown away the packets of sweets also which he was holding. “WHY GIVE SWEETS TO THIS BLOCK OF A BODY?”
‘I am the body’ idea is as poisonous as the cobra.   

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3207 on: July 18, 2013, 09:09:32 AM »
Dear Devotees,

Dr.Sarada is a great and one of the most insightful devotees ever of Sri Bhagwan. She writes beautifully thus:

“Had some preparations for self-enquiry been essential, Bhagwan would certainly have clarified, ‘Do self-enquiry only after you have practiced puja or japa for some years’ or ‘Do self-enquiry only after watching the breath ‘ or ‘Self-enquiry is to be performed only after the mind has been purified through selfless service.’ Bhagwan made no such conditions. Did He hide the whole truth from us for fear that we would not accept self-enquiry otherwise? Isn’t the very thought absurd? Or should we presume to say that Bhagwan was unaware that self-enquiry is not suited to all? Could there be greater ignorance? Bhagwan recommended self-enquiry to all that came to Him, asking Him for a means to Self-knowledge. In those, however, who had already made a choice and merely wanted His affirmation, He created no disturbance. He allowed them to pursue the chosen path, provided it would lead them to self-enquiry. Sometimes he even said so. That other paths would also lead one only to self-enquiry does not imply that they are essential to it. They are not a hindrance or contrary to it and so may be pursued if one is particular about doing so.
But self-enquiry does not exclude any practice. On the other hand, it is the very lifeline of all practices. Is one interested in selfless service? Would it be possible without the underlying attitude of enquiry? Would not the ego creep in unawares and cheat us at some point or the other? The ego of serving, the ego of humility itself, the ego of the Ideal! And could Self-knowledge result so long as the ego continues?”

Dear devotees, I quoted Dr Sarada’s above beautiful passage in response to some misgivings expressed by some members in the forum with regard to the efficacy or suitability of the Self-enquiry for all.  I wonder that some members even here in this forum which is devoted to the Life and Teaching of Sri Bhagwan, should keep on haranguing that the Self-enquiry is difficult and therefore is not suited to all.  Who says that the Self-enquiry is difficult? It is the ego. So, this is the first way in which we keep the Self-enquiry at bay. Yes, it is not suitable for one who decides thus, because this very thought is the stumbling mental block to the enquiry. I whole-heartedly accept the view that to think that any other competence is required to practice Self-enquiry is a complete misnomer. Although the enquiry may produce different results in different seekers; in some it may immediately reawaken Self-awareness, for some others there may be intermittent dips into the Self, yet some others may experience a certain sense of calm and detachment which enables them to execute their work better. However, there are still others who seem to stuck with a struggle during their Enquiry because thoughts crop up every other second to disturb their attention on to the ‘I’-consciousness.

So, question may arise, ‘Would it not be advisable to recommend preparatory practices at least for the last category of the seekers?’  Some may say that it is alright if there is some progress in self-enquiry, if not, is it not better to try some other method? This line of thought is fallacious because it presumes that we are capable of measuring our own progress and it is important that we should be aware of our progress! What a worst misconception! We forget Sri Bhagwan’s Teaching that if we are able to subdue a single thought even for a trice, it goes a long way in achieving the quiescence of the mind.  Moreover, if one says that one should practice other methods as preparatory to the Enquiry, this misconception presumes that Self-wnquiry is not the best preparation for itself and therefore it is incomplete.  These are certainly misguided notions. There is no doubt about that.

Dear devotees, not only Dr. Sarada, many other great devotees of Sri Bhagwan, including Sri Annamalai Swami, have endorsed the view from their experience and deeply insightful understanding that the Self-enquiry itself is the best preparation for itself. SELF-ENQUIRY  IS  THE  COMPLETE  AND  HOLISTIC  METHOD  AND WE  NEED  TO  GIVE  OURSELVES  TO  IT  COMPLETELY  SO  THAT  THE  SELF  SHINES  FORTH  UNOBSTRUCTED AT ITS CULMINATION.

Thanks very much.
   Pranam,
      Anil     

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3208 on: July 18, 2013, 07:10:06 PM »
When at last you are come to the
Ocean of Happiness, do not go back
thirsty. Wake, foolish man ! for Death stalks
you. Here is pure water before
you ; drink it at every breath. Do not follow the mirage on foot, but
thirst for the nectar ; Dhruva, Prahlad, and Shukadeva have
drunk of it, and also Raidas has
tasted it : The saints are drunk with love, their
thirst is for love. Kabir says : Listen to me, brother !
The nest of fear is broken. Not for a moment have you come
face to face with the world :
You are weaving your bondage of
falsehood, your words are full of
deception : With the load of desires which you
hold on your head, how can you
be Light ? "Kabir says : "Keep within you truth,
detachment and Love."

Sage Sri Kabir

Dear devotees, Sri Kabir says that not for a moment have we come face to face with the world, just as we never came face to face with the snake, except, of course, in our imagination. So, we are weaving our own bondage of falsehood with the words of deception. But now that we have come to the Ocean of Happiness, why not thirst for Nectar, why not end the ‘AVICHARA’ and drink the Pure Water, why go back thirsty? Sri Kabir says, “Wake Foolish man! Death stalks you.”
Pranam,
 Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3209 on: July 19, 2013, 11:40:14 AM »
Sri Bhagwan :
“….so I say the Self is not reached. You are the Self. You are already That. You exist always. You are always as you really are. But you don’t realize it. That is all.”

Dear Devotees,

Therefore, there is no reaching the Self. I am the Self and I am doing sadhana to reach that very Self. Is it not ludicrous? Yes, it is ludicrous because we seek to reach the Goal with the ego which is a mere product of the second reflection, or is that which is not. The Goal, the Self, exists even before the ego. What is in the Goal exists even prior to the birth of the ego. BECAUSE WE EXIST THE EGO SEEMS TO EXIST.

I am the Goal and the Bliss always. There is no moment and no point when and where I am not. Hence, the conception that there is a goal and a path is the part of the grand illusion. We speak of a goal and a path only because we are under the spell of that illusion. We are the Goal here and now. There can be no real phrase like ‘here and now’ either, for the Goal is not subject to space and time,  for the ‘space and time’ are merely imagined concepts in the Self itself.

Sri Bhagwan taught that ‘I am’ was the Goal and the final Reality. Yes, it seems ludicrous that we are aware that ‘we are Anil, Sunil, etc.’, but go on saying we are not aware that ‘we are’. How can that be? It cannot be . We indeed are speaking a lie. But then that is the Divine Play.  So long as this Divine Drama appears interesting to us and we remain engrossed in the plot, we cannot see the background and the stage and the pure light illuminating all these. Infatuating interest in the world and its objects is, in fact, the real cause of the appearance of the world.  When we are disillusioned and fed up with the transient joys and sorrows of the phenomena, this is the beginning of the end of the world appearance. Grace bows the seeds of existential doubt. Non-viability of the petty life of the petty self becomes gradually obvious and begins to linger in the psyche.  Dear devotees, such a one alone can become a true seeker. Again, by seeker, seeking That either inside or outside oneself is not meant. In such a state, Grace makes aware of the ever-present Reality ‘I am’, albeit partially or faintly initially, but nevertheless, free of thoughts and names and forms, and one is able to hold that ‘I am’ with effort.  This is the ‘effort’ part or aspect of the Self-enquiry.  Effort may be maximum in the beginning which goes on reducing gradually till this holding is effortless and spontaneous. Effort goes on minimizing because length of ‘rising’ or the reflected ray goes on reducing till it does not rise at all and is merged in the Self. This is why the Self-enquiry is ‘effort to be’ that culminates, without fail, in ‘being’ effortlessly when ONLY ‘ABSOLUTE BEING’, THE REALITY OR EXISTENCE, REMAINS.   
AND  DEAR  DEVOTEES,  SRI  BHAGWAN  HAS  TAUGHT  THAT  WHEN   ‘HOLDING  THE  ‘I  AM’  IS  EFFORLESS  AND  SPONTANEOUS  IT  IS  REALISATION.   What  then  is  the  Realization?  SINKING  OR  MEGING  JIVA  REALISES  WITH  THE  PURE  MIND  “I  AM  THAT  I  AM”  AND  THEN  THERE  IS  ONLY  OCEAN  AND  OCEAN  OF  NECTAR, AND  NOT  EVEN  TRACE  OF  THE  RIVER  WHATSOEVER.  The experience of the ‘I am’ is the stillness of the Pure Awareness whose Nature is Pure, unalloyed Bliss.   

Dear devotees, one should not leave aside the Self-enquiry, the  MOST  EFFICACIOUS  SPIRITUAL  PRACTICE, at any cost, for Sri Bhagwan has taught without a trace of ambiguity whatever that the Self-enquiry is the only adequate means whatsoever to make the mind subside irreversibly; the only infallible means, the only direct one to realize the Unconditioned Absolute that we really are.

Therefore,  holding ‘I am’ initially with effort and ‘being still’ effortlessly and spontaneously, that is, effort merging in the effortlessness, alone is the greatest and most powerful Tapas, as taught by Sri Bhagwan, and not the meditation, yoga and so on.

It follows that resigning all burden to God, holding the “I AM” till the mind is absorbed in That, and when all trace of ‘I is gone, remaining unattached merged in Blissful Silence of the Self or the Swarupa, ALONE  IS  THE  HIGHEST  TAPAS.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil