Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 759420 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #3060 on: April 17, 2013, 03:00:09 PM »
Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

Thanks very much, sir, for posting both translations of the Stanza 6 of the ‘Sri Arunachala Ashtakam’. So, the ‘The Collected Works of Sri Ramana Maharshi’ contains the translation of the ‘Ashtaka’ done by Sri Arthur Osborne.  I think that in ‘The Collected Works’ only Sri Osborne’s translations of Sri Bhagwan’s original compositions have been included. 

Ji. Yes. In all the three translations of the Stanza 6 of the ‘Ashtakam’, Smt. Kanakammal’s translation certainly sound a bit better, though in essence all the three are the same with minor differences in words and structure, hither and thither. For instance, Prof. Sri Swaminathan’s translation mentions an additional phrase “ALONG WITH A PERCEIVER” in the translation as under:

” From it, (this power of manifestation) there proceeds, along with a perceiver, a series of subtle shadowy thoughts
which, lit by the reflected light of mind amid the whirl of prarabdha, appear within as the world perceived by the five senses
as a film projected through a lens.”

I do not know, what Sri Bhagwan has written in the original Tamil version, bur great Prof.’s entry of the phrase ‘ALONG WITH A PERCEIVER’, in my view, is perfectly alright.

However, constant contemplation on the said Stanza, for a few days now, has helped me synthesize and imparted an intuitive understanding and insight of my own which is certainly much better than what it was earlier.

Thanks very much, sir, for the same once again.
Pranam,
 Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3061 on: April 17, 2013, 09:15:53 PM »
Sri Annamaalai Swami:

“Bhagwan strongly opposed the killing of all the higher life forms. He gave orders that even snakes and scorpions should not be killed in the ashram. The general rule seemed to be: insects could be killed if they were causing pain or were potentially harmful, but all higher forms of life, including dangerous and poisonous animals, were sacrosanct.

Mosquitoes were a perpetual problem for most devotees. Bhagwan never criticised devotees if they swatted mosquitoes which were biting them. In the 1940s He even permitted the cowshed to be sprayed with pesticides so that the cows would not be troubled by biting insects.  However, if He was questioned about the moral aspects of killing mosquitoes He would usually answer by saying that one should not identify with the body that is being bitten.

One devotee who asked Him about this got the following reply:
‘If you were to take your complaint against mosquitoes to a court of law, the mosquitoes would win the case. Their dharma (the rules that they must live by) is to bite and sting. They are teaching you that you are not the body. You object to their stings only because you identify with the body.”
Source: Living By the Words of Bhagwan

Anil 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3062 on: April 18, 2013, 08:29:57 AM »
IT is the mercy of my true Guru that has made me to know the unknown ;
I have learned from Him how to walk without feet, to see without eyes, to hear without ears, to drink with- out mouth, to fly without wings ;
I have brought my love and my meditation into the land where there is no sun and moon, nor day and night.
Without eating, I have tasted of the sweetness of nectar ; and without water, I have quenched my thirst.
Where there is the response of delight, there is the fullness of joy. Before whom can that joy be uttered ?
Kabir says : " The Guru is great beyond words, and great is the good fortune of the disciple."

Sage Sri Kabir

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3063 on: April 18, 2013, 06:34:08 PM »
Dear Devotees,

Sri R. Raphael Hurst, a London Journalist, came to Sri Ramanasramam on a visit to Sri Bhagwan with a Budhist Bhikshu. In a voice of intense earnestness he stated that he came to India for spiritual enlightenment. The Bhikshu who came with him was also an Englishman by birth and was formerly a military officer. The conversation which they had with Sri Bhagwan answers some of the vital questions which may remove some of the doubts from the minds of the seekers of Truth. Hence, when I went through it, I decided to post the full conversation as under: 

Conversation reproduced below is from rough notes taken while it was going on.

Bhikshu: We have travelled far and wide in search of Enlightenment. How can we get it?
Sri Bhawan: Through deep enquiry and constant meditation.
Sri Hurst: Many people   do meditate in the West but show no signs of progress.
Sri Bhagwan: How do you know that they don’t make progress? Spiritual progress is not easily discernible.
Sri Hurst: A few years ago I got some glimpses of the Bliss but in the years that followed I lost it again. Then last year I again got it. What is that?
Sri Bhagwan: You lost it because your meditation had not become natural (sahaja). When you become habitually in-turned the enjoyment of spiritual beatitude becomes a normal experience.
Sri Hurst: Might it be due to lack of a Guru?
Sri Bhagwan: Yes, but the Guru is within. That Guru who is within is identical with your Self.
Sri Hurst: What is the way to God-realisation?
Sri Bhagwan: Vichara, asking yourself ‘Who am I?’ enquiry the nature of your Self.
Bhaikshu: The world is in a state of degeneration. It is getting constantly worse, spiritually, morally, intellectually and in every way. Will a spiritual teacher come to save it from chaos?
Sri Bhagwan: Inevitably. When goodness declines and wrong prevails, He comes to reinstate goodness. The world is neither too good not too bad; it is a mixture of the two. Unmixed happiness and unmixed sorrow are not found in the world. The world always needs God and God always comes.
Bhikshu: Will He be born in the East or the West?
Sri Bhagwan laughed at the question but did not answer it.
Sri Hurst: Does Sri Bhagwan know whether an Avatar already exists in the physical body. (I wonder why Sri Hurst didn’t see the Great Avatara in Sri Bhagwan Himself. Anil)
Sri Bhagwan: He might.
Sri Hurst: What is the best way to attain Godhood?
Sri Bhagwan: Self-enquiry leads to Self-realisation.
Sri Hurst: Is a Guru necessary for spiritual progress?
Sri Bhagwan: Yes.
Sri Hurst: Is it possible for the Guru to help the disciple forward on the path?
Sri Hurst: What are the conditions for discipleship?
Sri Bhagwan: Intense desire for Self-realisation, earnestness and purity of mind.
Sri Hurst: Is it necessary to surrender one’s life to the Guru?
Sri Bhagwan: Yes.    One should surrender everything to the Dispeller of Darkness. One should surrender the ego that binds one to this world. GIVING UP BODY-CONSCIOUSNESS IS THE TRUE SURRENDER.
SRI HURST: DOES A GURU WANT TO TAKE CONTROL OF THE DISCIPLE’S WORLDLY AFFAIRS ALSO?
SRI BHAGWAN: YES. EVERYTHING.
Sri Hurst: Can he give the disciple the spiritual spark that he needs?
Sri Bhagwan: HE CAN GIVE HIM ALL THAT HE NEEDS. THIS CAN BE SEEN FROM THE EXPEREINCE.
(Dear devotees, I feel that we all are experiencing or have experienced such Grace sometime or the other. ISN’T IT? Anil)
Sri Hurst: Is it necessary to be in physical contact with the Guru, and if so for how long?
Sri Bhawan: It depends on the maturity of the disciple. Gunpowder catches fire in an instant, while it takes time to ignite coal.
Sri Hurst: Is it possible to develop along the path of the Spirit while leading a life of work?
Sri Bhagwan: There is no conflict between work and wisdom. On the contrary, selfless work paves the way to Self-knowledge.
Sri Hurst: If a person is engaged in work it will leave him little time for meditation.
Sri Bhagwan: It is only spiritual novices who need to set aside a special time for meditation. A more advanced person always enjoys the beatitude whether he is engaged in work or not. While his hands are in society he can keep his head cool in solitude.
Bhikshu: Have you heard of Meher Baba?
Bhikshu: He says that he will become an Avatar in a few years.
Sri Bhagwan: EVERYONE  IS  AN  AVATAR OF  GOD. “The kingdom of heaven is within you.” Jesus. Mohammad, Budha. Krishna, all are in you. One who knows the truth sees every one as a manifestation of God.
Bhikshu: Will the Maharshi make a statement about Meher Baba?
Sri Bhagwan: What statement? That (the existence of an outer Avatara) is a question which seekers of Truth need not consider.
Bhikshu: Will the world be rejuvenated?
Sri Bhagwan: There is One who governs the world and it is His business to look after it. He who has created the world knows how to guide it also.
Bhikshu: Does the world progress now?
Sri Bhagwan: If we progress the world progresses. As you are so is the world. Without understanding the Self what is the use of understanding the world? Without Self-knowledge, knowledge of the world is of no use. Dive inwards and find the treasure hidden there. OPEN YOUR HEART AND SEE THE WORLD THROUGH THE EYES OF THE SELF.  TEAR  ASIDE  THE  VEILS  AND  SEE  THE  DIVINE  MAJESTY  OF  YOUR  OWN  SELF.
Source: A RMCL, Bangalore’s publication named as ‘Forever Is In The Now’

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3064 on: April 19, 2013, 09:53:22 AM »
The Guru neither eats nor drinks, neither lives nor dies :
Neither has He form, line, colour, nor vesture.
He who has neither caste nor clan nor anything else how may I describe His glory ?
He has neither form nor formlessness,
He has no name,
He has neither colour nor colourless- ness,
He has no dwelling-place.
KABIR ponders and says : " He who has neither caste nor country, who is formless and without quality, fills all space."

The Creator brought into being the Game of Joy : and from the word Om the Creation sprang.
The earth is His joy ; His joy is the
sky; His joy is the flashing of the sun and
the moon ; His joy is the beginning, the middle,
and the end ;
His joy is eyes, darkness, and light. Oceans and waves are His joy : His
joy the Sarasvati, the Jumna, and
the Ganges. The Guru is One : and life and death,
union and separation, are all His
plays of joy ! His play the land and water, the whole
universe I
His play the earth and the sky ! In play is the Creation spread out, in
play it is established. The whole
world, says Kabir, rests in His
play, yet still the Player remains
unknown.

Sage Sri Kabir

Dear Devotees,

The great Sage and the Mystique, Sri Kabir, sang on another occasion that we should hope for Him whilst we we live, understand Him whilst we live, FOR OUR FREEDOM FROM PAIN, SORROW AND MISERY ABIDES IN THIS VERY LIFE. FOR OUR DELIVERANCE AND SALVATION ABIDE IN THIS VERY LIFE. Sri Kabir points out the Way:

"Bathe in the truth, know the true Guru, have faith in the true Name !
Kabir says : " It is the Spirit of the quest which helps ; I am the slave of this Spirit of the quest.""

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3065 on: April 19, 2013, 04:31:47 PM »
Mayi c’ananya-yogena bhaktir avyabhicarini /
vivikta-desa-sevitvam aratir jana-samsadi //
Ch. 13, V. 10, Srimad Bhagavad Gita

“Practice of unswerving devotion through contemplation on Me as one’s ‘own’ (or Me in non-separation), resort to solitude, and abhorrence of vulgar company.”

Dear devotees,

In V. 13-10 of the Gita, ‘vivkta desa’ has been translated as solitude and ‘vivkta-desa-sevitvam’ as ‘resort to solitude’.  ‘aratir janasamsadi’ here has been translated as ‘abhorrence of vulgar company’.

However, Sri Bhagwan who delivered to mankind the nectarine Verses of the Gita as Lord Sri Krishna, now explains them as the Sadguru Bhagwan Sri Ramana. Explaining V. 13-10, He says that ‘vivkta desa’ is that where there is nothing but the Supreme Self, the Parmatma and ‘aratir janasamsadi’ means to remain without getting mixed up with, or absorbed by the five senses. Sri Bhagwan says that it is these five senses that rule the majority of people. Therefore, ‘vivkta desa’ of the Gita is that State in which these five senses are in abeyance.

Q. The ‘vivkta desa’ state to which Bhagwan refers is, I take it, the state of INTUITIVE EXPERIENCE (aparoksha), and if so, that state of INTUITIVE EXPEREINCE can only be attained if one follows the precepts, i.e., does sadhana, for keeping the senses in abeyance. Is that right?

Sri Bhagwan: Yes, that is so. In the Vasudeva Mananam and in other books, it is stated that one has to gain conceptual realization (Paroksha Jnana) with the help of a Guru by the act of hearing 9sravana) and musing (manana), and then gain knowledge of ‘INTUITIVE EXPERIENCE ‘ (aparoksha’ by spiritual practice, and by consequent complete maturity the mind. It is stated in Vicharasagara: INTUITIVE EXPERIENCE’  (aproksha) IS ALWAYS PRESENT; THE ONLY OBSTACLE IS CONCEPTUAL KNOWLEDGE (paroksha). Spiritual practice is required to remove the obstacle; there is no question of attaining INTUITIVE EXPERIENCE.

Sri Bhagwan teaches that when one is able to overcome the obstacles, one can be likened to the NAKED LIGHT  IN A WINDLESS PLACE OR TO THE OCEAN IN A WAVELESS STATE. When one feel the Self within one’s body, it is like the NAKED LIGHT in a windless place; when one feels that the Self is all-pervading, it is like the WAVELESS OCEAN.

Therefore, dear devotees, where one is , there is Lord Sri Rama. Where one is, there is Ayodhya. Sri Bhagwan says that one should realise one’s Self by the Enquiry and when that is done, Brindavan is where one is.
“There is no need to go from place to place thinking that Brindavan is somewhere else. Those who have the urge may go, but there is nothing imperative about it.
FOR ‘VIVKTA DESA’ IS THAT WHERE THERE IS NOTHING BUT THE SUPREME SELF.       

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3066 on: April 19, 2013, 04:49:05 PM »
Dear devotees, a few errors crept in the fourth paragraph of my previous post (Sri Bhagwan’s Statement) as typing errors. So, the fourth paragraph of my previous post should be read as under:

Sri Bhagwan: Yes, that is so. In the Vasudeva Mananam and in other books, it is stated that one has to gain conceptual realization (paroksha Jnana) with the help of a Guru by the act of hearing (sravana) and musing (manana), and then gain knowledge of ‘INTUITIVE EXPERIENCE ‘ (aparoksha) by spiritual practice, and by consequent complete maturity of the mind. It is stated in Vicharasagara: ‘INTUITIVE EXPERIENCE’ (aproksha) IS ALWAYS PRESENT; THE ONLY OBSTACLE IS CONCEPTUAL KNOWLEDGE (paroksha). Spiritual practice is required to remove the obstacle; there is no question of attaining INTUITIVE EXPERIENCE.
Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3067 on: April 20, 2013, 07:41:45 AM »
WHERE is the need of words, when love has made drunken the heart?
I have wrapped the diamond in my
cloak ; why open it again and again ?
When its load was light, the pan of the balance went up : now it is full, where is the need for weighing?
The swan has taken its flight to the lake beyond the mountains ; why should it search for the pools and ditches anymore ?
Your Lord dwells within you : why need your outward eyes be opened ?
Kabir says : " Listen, my brother ! my Lord, who ravishes my eyes, has united Himself with me."
Sage Sri Kabir

cefnbrithdir

• View Profile
« Reply #3068 on: April 28, 2013, 11:24:34 PM »

Dear Anil

I hope all is well with you. I appreciate your posts very much.

cefnbrithdir

• View Profile
« Reply #3069 on: May 07, 2013, 02:19:15 PM »

Dear Subramanian Sir

On Bhagavan's 63rd Aradhana, may I ask whether you know the whereabouts of our friend Anil. He contributed so devotedly to Bhagavan so often and yet his posts suddenly stopped on 20th April without, so to speak, giving his leave.

I am sure Bhagavan is with him but wondered whether you knew more.

Thank you

cefnbrithdir

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3070 on: May 07, 2013, 02:23:55 PM »
Dear cefnbrithdir,

I am also anxious.  I wish his health is good because he wrote about an accident.  Or perhaps, he must have thought that
he can stop writing because Silence with Stillness  is the most essential aspect of Self Inquiry.

Arunachala Siva.

latha

• View Profile
« Reply #3071 on: May 07, 2013, 07:47:14 PM »
Dear Friends,

I have been concerned about Anilji too and missed his posts. With Bhagavan's grace and blessing I am sure he will be fine.

Om Namo Bhagavate Sri Ramanaya

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #3072 on: May 08, 2013, 01:56:29 PM »
yes let us all hope he is fine and maybe he took a little break from posting.

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3073 on: May 09, 2013, 04:03:57 PM »
I truly hope everything is fine with Sri Anil! He usualy say if he wont come,so i hope it is only his wish to be in solitude,or he dont have much free time for writing...

With love and prayers,

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3074 on: May 18, 2013, 09:22:20 AM »
Devotee: Is it true that all spiritual practices, as is said, merge into the path of Self-enquiry?
Sri Bhagwan : Yes, the enquiry ‘Who am I ?’ is the beginning and the end of the teachings of Vedanta. It is said that only who has the assets of the four kinds of spiritual practice is fit for the Vedantic enquiry. Of the four categories of practice the first is the knowledge of the Self and the non-Self (atma and anatma). That means a knowledge that the Self is eternal (nitya) and that the world is unreal (mithya). How to know this is the question. IT IS POSSIBLE TO KNOW THIS BY ENQUIRY AS TO ‘WHO AM I?’ AND WHAT IS THE NATURE OF MY SELF! Usually this procedure is suggested at the beginning of the spiritual practice, but generally it does not carry conviction. SO ALL SORTS OF OTHER SPIRITUAL PRACTICES ARE RESORTED TO AND IT IS ONLY ULTIMATELY, AS A LAST RESORT, THAT THE PRACTISER TAKES TO SELF-ENQUIRY.   
Source: Letters from Sriramanasramam

Dear Devotees,

This, in my view, is the supreme Teaching regarding ‘Sadhana’. There is no doubt that the Atma-Vichara, as taught by Sri Bhagwan, is itself capable of bestowing ‘Atma-antama Viveka’( Clear understanding and realisation that Brahma  alone is Satyam  and jagat is  mithyam), which Sri Bhagwan taught, is essential qualification for the seekers of Truth pursuing Self-enquiry.   
DEAR DEVOTEES, I ALWAYS FELT THAT THE ONLY QUALIFICATION NEEDED TO ENGAGE IN VICHARA IS  A LITTLE INCLINATION TO DO IT, BACKED BY ZEAL TO PERSEVERE AND THUS GETTING PROGRESSIVELY STRENGHTENED BY FIRM RESOLUTION AS ONE GOES ON SHEDDING THE NON-SELF AND BEGINS TO TASTE THE BLISS ONHERENT IN THE ‘PURE AWARENESS’, THAT IS, THE SELF.

Thanks very much,
           Anil

Dear friends and devotees,

I do not know how to say it all, but, yes, a very terrible road accident happened again in which one person died on the spot and another person died next day in the hospital, and yet another got his limbs perhaps permanently damaged,  but I escaped absolutely unscathed  and unhurt, just before a marriage function in my family. I had been travelling by  car being driven by a driver, through NH 31 and reaching a place called Naugachia, near Bhagalpur, 200 KM away from the State capital Patna, on an official duty. All of a sudden, a bike carrying three persons, travelling on a village road which joined the Highway at right angle, ascended the Highway from the left side, and came in front of the car which was moving at a speed of around 70 KM/hour. The driver did not get even the response time to stop the car in time to avoid the worst accident of my life. Although the driver tried to avoid the accident by steering the vehicle to the right but couldn’t. The collision was devastating and in the attempt of the driver to steer the car to the right side of the Highway to avoid the collision, my car after the impact fell into a ditch, 20 feet below the pavement surface on the right side. It did not overturn. I, along with the driver, came out of the car absolutely unhurt. Neither of us received even the minor injuries.   The Police Inspector examining the situation of the accident later said to me that it was unbelievable and a great miracle that nothing whatever happened to me despite such a devastating collision and despite falling down of the vehicle into a deep ditch. 
Dear friends and devotees, this was the second road accident in succession within six months.  I do not know why such things are happening to me in quick succession and remain inexplicable to me. I always remain in remembrance and even when the accident was happening I was in remembrance and remained absolutely unconcerned, mind and thinking remained ceased though thinking revived with thoughts of deep sorrow for the deceased as well as for the mesh that was ordained to be created for me and others. All legal processes have been almost completed and my car has been released. Marriage function in the family about which I mentioned is over now.

Everybody is now agreed that NOTHING, AND I REPEAT, NTOYHING WHATEVER CAN BE CITED TO ACCOUNT FOR MY ABSOLUTELY MIRACULOUS SURVIVAL EXCEPT THE PURE GRACE OF THE GURU. I feel that I am now not the same person after this accident. I feel deeply now that I am not able to think, words are not emerging from within and therefore solitude, mental as well as physical, is increasingly my only companion right now.   

Dear friends and devotees, I did not feel like writing anything, but when I saw that some of you are concerned about my well-being, conspicuous by my absence, I felt that I should respond and say what happened.
Right now, I feel deeply that remaining in the solitude and abiding in the stillness of the Silence, remaining one with That through which all seeing is taking place, is far more beneficial and fruitful for me.  However, I wish to say that if and whenever I am prompted from within I would be here again to share experiences, yours as well as mine.
Thanks very much for your love and affection, dear friends.
Pranam,
 Anil