Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 756416 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #3030 on: April 09, 2013, 08:52:29 AM »
                Salutation

In one salutation to thee, my God,
let all my senses spread out and touch this world at thy feet.

Like a rain-cloud of July
hung low with its burden of unshed showers
let all my mind bend down at thy door in one salutation to thee.

Let all my songs gather together their diverse strains into a single current
and flow to a sea of silence in one salutation to thee.

Like a flock of homesick cranes flying night and day
back to their mountain nests
let all my life take its voyage to its eternal home
in one salutation to thee.

Sri Rabindranath Tagore

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3031 on: April 09, 2013, 08:54:21 AM »
O FRIEND ! hope for Him whilst you live, know whilst you live, under- stand whilst you live : for in life deliverance abides.
If your bonds be not broken whilst living, what hope of deliverance in death ?
It is but an empty dream, that the soul shall have union with Him because it has passed from the body :
If He is found now, He is found then,
If not, we do but go to dwell in the City of Death.
If you have union now, you shall have it hereafter.
Bathe in the truth, know the true Guru, have faith in the true Name !
Kabir says : " It is the Spirit of the quest which helps ; I am the slave of this Spirit of the quest."

Sage Sri Kabir

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3032 on: April 09, 2013, 06:41:13 PM »
Dear Devotees,

Someone mistakes a rope hanging in the darkness for a snake and is afraid. This is the wrong knowledge, but one need not go on devising ways and means to kill the snake before ascertaining what exactly it is. However, one cannot reach the right knowledge and be fearless by merely assuming that it is not a snake and it must be a rope or something, without proper investigation as to what exactly it is. He must set up a proper investigation employing whatever means he deems appropriate to find out the unreality of the snake. Mere conjecture will not do. Only then the fear of the snake would go away from the mind.   

So, also, everyone in this forum knows that the mind does not exist and that the ego and mind which are, in fact, one and the same, are unreal and illusory. Being unreal and illusory, it cannot die either quickly or slowly. Everybody here is taking great pains to prove only that. That the world is the creation of the mind and, since the ego-mind itself does not exist, the world as such is unreal. But this mere intellectual knowledge of the unreality of the ego or the mind is not adequate. This mere intellectual knowledge from books cannot bestow the experience of the Peace and Bliss of the Self, however vociferously one may go on declaring from the roof top.

Dear devotees, even in Yoga Vashishtha it has been said that what is Real is hidden from us, and what is false, is revealed  as true. Although, it is wonder of wonders that we are actually experiencing the Reality only, still, we do not know it. HENCE, SRI BHAGWAN TAUGHT TO CONDUCT ENQUIRY AS TO WHAT OUR REAL NATURE IS. DID HE NOT? And He taught that one should not stall the enquiry at the outset by assuming that one is That or one is Brahman. If one merely thinks that one knows the answer every time one starts practice,  that is not helpful to Enquiry either. I have always felt that if one has genuine existential doubt as to who really one is, it helps and enhances the spirit of enquiry greatly. 

Therefore, dear devotee, as the unreality of the snake must be found out by appropriate investigation, so also the unreality of the ego and the mind must be revealed by the Atma-Vichara as taught by Sri Bhagwan. This is the shortest-cut. Unless the unreality of the thinker is revealed by Vichara, mere intellectual knowledge that one is ever-free, can never confer freedom and the experience of the Bliss of the Self.  Remember, the ego is very tenacious and can take subtle forms to escape the powerful searchlight of the Vichara.

Dear devotees, it follows from the above discussion that ego being unreal, it need not be killed. ITS UNREALITY HOWEVER MUST BE REVEALED BY VICHARA. We must find for ourselves that what was being sought all along was, in reality, that through which the actual seeing was taking place.  WE MUST FIND OUT  BY VICHARA THAT WHAT WE WERE LOOKING FOR OBJECTIVELY FINALLY TURNED OUT TO BE THE SUBJECT THAT WAS DOING THE SEEING ALL THE WHILE.  Not doing this and remaining as the Self, and merely going on claiming ‘I am that’ or ‘I am the Self’ is, in my view, a matter of great ridicule.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3033 on: April 10, 2013, 07:36:18 AM »
Kabir says : " There the wise man is speechless ; for this truth may never be found in Vedas or in books."
I have had my Seat on the Self-poised One,
I have drunk of the Cup of the In- effable,
I have found the Key of the Mystery,
I have reached the Root of Union.
Travelling by no track, I have come to the Sorrowless Land : very easily has the mercy of the great Lord come upon me.
They have sung of Him as infinite and unattainable : but I in my medita- tions have seen Him without sight.
That is indeed the sorrowless land, and none know the path that leads there :
Only he who is on that path has surely transcended all sorrow.

Sage Sri Kabir

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3034 on: April 10, 2013, 08:26:21 AM »
               Fireflies

I touch God in my song
    as the hill touches the far-away sea
      with its waterfall.
The butterfly counts not months but moments,
    and has time enough.

Let my love, like sunlight, surround you
    and yet give you illumined freedom.

Love remains a secret even when spoken,
    for only a lover truly knows that he is loved.

Emancipation from the bondage of the soil
    is no freedom for the tree.

In love I pay my endless debt to thee
    for what thou art.

Sri Rabindranath Tagore

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3035 on: April 10, 2013, 07:09:05 PM »
Sri Bhagwan :

“Universal Being becomes limited as a jiva. Such reflecting medium is furnished by the aggregates of the vasanas of the individual. It acts like the water in a pot which reflects the image of an object. If the pot be drained of its water there will be no reflection. The object will remain without being reflected. The object here is the Universal Being-Consciousness which is all-pervading and therefore immanent in all. It need not be cognised by reflection alone; it is self-resplendent. Therefore the seeker’s aim must be to drain away the vasanas from the heart and let no reflection obstruct the Light of Eternal Consciousness. This is achieved by the search for the origin of the ego and by diving into the heart. This is the direct method for Self-Realisation.  One who adopts it need not worry about nadis, brain, the Sushumna, the Paranadi, the Kundalini, pranayama or the six centres.
Talk—616

Dear Devotees,

It follows from Sri Bhagwan’s Teaching, as above, that so long as there are aggregates of vasanas present in the heart, they will be furnishing the reflecting medium to limit and confine the Infinite Consciousness within the limits of the body and it will be cognised only by the reflection. Our foremost task therefore is to drain the residual vasanas from our heart so that no reflections obstruct the Light of the Eternal Consciousness from revealing Itself as It is. However, there is no need to take up a separate discipline to erase the seeds of vasanas from the heart. SRI BHAGWAN ASSURES THAT ONE WHO ADOPTS THE ATMA-VICHARA AND DIVES INTO HEART, SEEKING THE ORIGIN OF THE EGO, NEED NOT WORRY ABOUT ANYTHING ELSE. It is by itself capable of draining all the vasanas from the heart. This is the direct method.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil     

silence

• View Profile
« Reply #3036 on: April 10, 2013, 07:31:25 PM »
Vasanas do not allow us to sit down calmly and do vichara. Isn't that why karma yoga is recommended so that we can eliminate vasanas and then start doing vichara?

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3037 on: April 11, 2013, 07:25:10 AM »
To what shore would you cross, O my heart ? there is no traveller before you, there is no road :
Where is the movement, where is the rest, on that shore ?
There is no water ; no boat, no boat- man, is there ;
There is not so much as a rope to tow the boat, nor a man to draw it.
No earth, no sky, no time, no thing, is there : no shore, no ford !
There, there is neither body nor mind : and where is the place that shall still the thirst of the soul ? You shall find naught in that empti- ness.
Be strong, and enter into your own body : for there your foothold is firm. Consider it well, O my heart ! go not elsewhere.
Kabir says : " Put all imaginations away, and stand fast in that which you are."

Sage Sri Kabir

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3038 on: April 11, 2013, 07:37:59 AM »
Quote from sri silence:
“Vasanas do not allow us to sit down calmly and do vichara. Isn't that why karma yoga is recommended so that we can eliminate vasanas and then start doing vichara?”

Dear Sri silence,

Yes, karma done unselfishly purifies the mind and helps to fix it in Vichara. There is no doubt about that. Therefore, if vasanas are so strong and powerful that they can cloud the aspiration and will for the Vichara and make one believe that he is not at all able to sit calmly and do it, he may do ‘nishkamya karma’, or  a little of ‘pranayama’ or anything to purify the mind and thus achieve quiescence. He would thus be able to do Vichara step by step with the gradual weakening of the vasanas, Sri Bhagwan adds, with the Grace of the master.       
But having said this, I wish to add that vasanas, accumulated in innumerable birth, are concomitant with the ego. Is it not? So, Sri Bhagwan taught that vasanas can be obliterated or drained out of the heart by concentrating on that which is free from vasanas and yet is our Core.

Dear Sri silence, I have gone through some of your posts and was very happy to have gathered from them that you are a very sincere and an earnest seeker. Therefore, all I can say is that you should not allow room for doubt and push your Vichara a little more resolutely, with Faith in Sri Bhagwan and His Utterances. Sri Bhagwan has assured that if one distraction is conquered, it paves way for conquering the next, and so on, until all are finally conquered. In this context, I would like to remind you of Sri Bhagwan’s often repeated simile of the siege of the enemy’s forte. So, the process of eliminating the thoughts and vasanas  is akin to reducing an enemy’s forte by slaying its man-power—one by one, as each issues out.

Dear Sri silence, ‘I am the body or I am the mind’ is the fundamental vasana. It has appeared in us innumerable times and therefore we automatically accept that they are true. Ultimately, we can escape the habits of the mind by abiding in Consciousness as the Consciousness. That is the final solution. If the Atma-Vichara, as taught by Sri Bhagwan, has attracted you enough and you are convinced, why not go about it whole-heartedly from the very beginning? 
Therefore, the best and most appropriate thing to do, in my view, is to be who you are. To be as one is. To just be still. To ignore the vasanas that rise in the mind and instead fix one’s attention on the Self. Vasanas and thoughts are sure to lose their real power to usurp and cloud one’s consciousness, with progress in sadhana, for want of attention. The perseverance is essential.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3039 on: April 12, 2013, 07:24:52 AM »
Wonderful is that land of rest, to which no merit can win ;
It is the wise who has seen it, it is the wise who has sung of it.
This is the Ultimate Word : but can any express its marvellous savour ? He who has savoured it once, he knows what joy it can give.
Kabir says : " Knowing it, the ignorant man becomes wise, and the wise man becomes speechless and silent,
The worshipper is utterly inebriated,
His wisdom and his detachment are made perfect ;
He drinks from the cup of the in- breathings and the out-breathings of love."
There the whole sky is filled with sound, and there that music is made without fingers and without strings ;
There the game of pleasure and pain
does not cease. Kabir says : " If you merge your life
in the Ocean of Life, you will
find your life in the Supreme
Land of Bliss."
What a frenzy of ecstasy there is in every hour ! and the worshipper is pressing out and drinking the essence of the hours : he lives in the life of Brahma.
I speak truth, for I have accepted truth in life ; I am now attached to truth, I have swept all tinsel away.
Kabir says : " Thus is the worshipper set free from fear ; thus have all errors of life and of death left him."
There the sky is filled with music : There it rains nectar : There the harp -strings jingle, and there the drums beat.
What a secret splendour is there, in
the mansion of the sky ! There no mention is made of the rising
and the setting of the sun ; In the ocean of manifestation, which
is the light of love, day and night
are felt to be one.
Joy for ever, no sorrow, no struggle ! There have I seen joy filled to the
brim, perfection of joy ; No place for error is there. Kabir says : " There have I witnessed
the sport of One Bliss ! "
I have known in my body the sport of the universe : I have escaped from the error of this world.
The inward and the outward are become as one sky, the Infinite and the finite are united : I am drunken with the sight of this All!
This Light of Thine fulfils the universe : the lamp of love that burns on the salver of knowledge. Kabir says : " There error cannot enter, and the conflict of life and death is felt no more."

Sage Sri Kabir

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3040 on: April 12, 2013, 06:11:55 PM »
Dear Devotees,

Bhagwan Sri Ramana has taught that the vasanas must be with one’s Self. The vasanas can never remain away from the Self. Since the Self is in the Heart, the vasanas are also there in the Heart in an exceedingly subtle form.

Sri Bhagwan : When the vasanas are projected from the Heart they are associated with the Light of the Self and the person is said to think. The vasanas which lie imbedded in an atomic condition grow in size in their passage from the heart to the brain. The brain is the screen on which the images of are thrown and it is also the place of their functional distribution. THE BRAIN IS THE SEAT OF THE MIND, AND THE MIND WORKS THROUGH IT.

So, when a vasana is released from the Heart, it is associated with the Light of the Self and this a how a they come into play. During the passage of a vasana from the Heart to the brain, it grows more and more on its way until it holds the field all alone. ALL OTHER VASANAS ARE THUS KEPT IN ABEYANCE FOR THE TIME BEING. When a thought is reflected in the brain, it is as if it appears on a screen. The person is then said to have a clear perception of things.

Dear devotees, even great thinker’s thoughts or a great discoverer’s discovery, which is extolled as being original is not quite original; nor the things, nor the country, nor the great scientific inventions which are claimed to be new discovery and new invention are really original and new. All it implies is this that all these great thinkers, discoverers and scientists had strong predispositions or samskaras in the directions under consideration. So, what we call discoveries and inventions are merely REDISCOVERIES by competent men with strong samskaras in the direction of their predispositions. Here, it is worth mention that the samskaras or the predispositions, however strong, will manifest only in a calm or the still mind. So, it could not manifest unless it was already there in the mind. Therefore, until  a vasana is projected, it is of course very subtle and remains imperceptible, because it lies repressed by the more urgent or insistent thoughts or vasanas. Therefore, so long as a specific vasana is holding the field all alone, all other vasanas remain repressed and dormant waiting dormant for their turn in the Heart.  When it has spent itself, the more urgent or insistent vasana is released from the Heart and by concentration the Light of the Self makes it clear.

BRAIN IS THEREFORE THE SEAT OF THE MIND AND THE MIND IS ONLY THE BUNDLE OF THOUGHTS. IT OPERATES THROUGH THE BRAIN WHICH IS ALSO THE SCREEN FOR THE THOUGHTS AND FORMATION OF IMAGES AND THE PLACE OF THEIR FUNCTIONAL DISTRIBUTION AS WELL.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil     

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3041 on: April 13, 2013, 10:24:46 AM »
You are weaving your bondage of
falsehood, your words are full of
deception : With the load of desires which you
hold on your head, how can you
be light ? " Kabir says : " Keep within you truth,
detachment, and love."

Sage Sri Kabir

O MAN, if thou dost not know thine own Lord, whereof art thou so proud ?
Put thy cleverness away : mere words shall never unite thee to Him.
Do not deceive thyself with the wit- ness of the Scriptures :
Love is something other than this, and he who has sought it truly has found it.

Sage Sri Kabir

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3042 on: April 13, 2013, 10:26:42 AM »
When thou commandest me to sing it seems that my heart would break with pride; and I look to thy face, and tears come to my eyes.
All that is harsh and dissonant in my life melts into one sweet harmony - and my adoration spreads wings like a glad bird on its flight across the sea.
I know thou takest pleasure in my singing. I know that only as a singer I come before thy presence.
I touch by the edge of the far-spreading wing of my song thy feet which I could never aspire to reach.
Drunk with the joy of singing I forget myself and call thee friend who art my lord.

Gitanjali, Sri Rabindranath Tagore

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3043 on: April 13, 2013, 05:12:37 PM »
SRI BHAGWAN:

“When I was staying in the Skandasramam I sometimes used to go out on and sit on a rock. On one such occasion there were two or three others with me including Rangaswami Iyenger. Suddenly we noticed some small moth-like insect shooting up like a rocket into the air from a crevice in the rock. Within the twinkling of an eye it had multiplied itself into millions of moths which formed a cloud and hid the sky from the view. We wondered at it and examined the place from which it shot up. We found that it was only a pinhole and knew that so many insects could not have issued from it in such a short time.’

Dear Devotees,

That is how ahankara (ego) shoots up like a rocket, instantaneously spreads out as the universe, and conceals the Self or the Atma-Swarupa. It all happens thus:

When the original or the fundamental vasana of the form ‘I am the body’ is released from the Heart, it is associated with the Light of the Self. It passes from the Heart to the brain, and on its way, it grows more and more, divides into subject and object, and spreads out as the universe and get reflected in the brain as the subject and the object, concealing the Universal Being-Consciousness. So, this is how the little self or the ego as the subject and the world as the object acquire pseudo semblance of Reality. This is how the Infinite Consciousness is confined to the limits of the body. The aggregates of vasanas of the individual are so powerful that they are capable of limiting the Infinite Consciousness within the limits of the tiny body and individuality. Therefore, Sri Bhagwan taught that so long as vasanas act as the limiting medium, reflection to limit the Infinite Consciousness cannot cease. Sri Bhagwan taught that a seeker’s aim therefore should be to ensure that no reflection obstructs the Light of the Eternal Consciousness. THIS IS ACHIEVED BY THE DIRECT METHOD OF SEARCH FOR THE ORIGIN OF THE EGO AND BY DIVING INTO THE HEART.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3044 on: April 13, 2013, 05:37:57 PM »

Dear anil,

Yes. Sri Bhagavan also said that as from fire, sparks fly off, the thoughts shoot up in different directions and cause the
appearance of the world, you and he.  The sparks (spulingam) finally dies coming back to the fire.  This is how the mind which
shoots out and creates the world and persons, upon Self Inquiry comes back to the Source and merge. Gaudapada says in his
karika, under Alata Santi, like a fire brand which when rotated creates an imaginary circle where we see the fire in the circle.
When the firebrand stops rotation, there is no 'circle' and only fire brand is there.  Where did the circle go?  It went back to the
firebrand.

Arunachala Siva.