Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 758220 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #3000 on: March 30, 2013, 02:07:46 PM »
Sri Thayumanavar sang:

My mind clings to whatever appears before it in the waking state, and when it gives up this clinging, falls into sleep. When, O when will it attain You?

Sri Sadhu Natanananda has enlarged the Verse in the following way:

“The nature of my wretched mind is either to merge and identify with the objects of perception that appear in front of it while it is awake—as a crystal takes on the colour of flowers that are placed before it—or to merge in nescience, losing its form in the sleep state in which it is not aware of anything. When will it leave these two states of ignorance and merge in You, the form of consciousness, and be redeemed? Will such a good day occur to me in this very life?”
Source: Sat Darshanam

Dear Devotees,

As if in response to above, Sri Bhagwan says, “Take either God or Guru as your Lord. Until you attain liberation, keep in your heart the conviction that you are his subject. Remain without desires and live according to his command.’ O foolish mind, why do you forget this and get deluded?”

Dear devotees, Sri Bhagwan says that uncertainties, doubts and fears are natural to everyone until the Self is realised. They are inseparable from the ego. NAY, RATHER THEY ARE THE EGO.  If the ego goes, with it go away uncertainties, doubts, fear, anger, greed, ambition, lust and infatuation. The ego itself is unreal. It has no locus standi. What is the ego? We need to look closely. One may imagine that there is something by his side in darkness. It may be some dark object.  If he looks closely the ghost is not to be seen, but some dark object that one may identify as a post or a tree. If he does not look closely, the imagined ghost strikes terror in the person.  So also with the ego-ghost. Therefore, all that is required is to look at the ego closely and it vanishes like the ghost, being an intangible link between the body and Pure Consciousness. So long as we do not look at it closely it will sure continue to give trouble. But when we look for it, it is found to be non-existent.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3001 on: March 31, 2013, 08:24:02 AM »
                       Who Is This

I came out alone on my way to my tryst.
But who is this that follows me in the silent dark?

I move aside to avoid his presence but I escape him not.

He makes the dust rise from the earth with his swagger;
he adds his loud voice to every word that I utter.

He is my own little self, my lord, he knows no shame;
but I am ashamed to come to thy door in his company.

Sri Rabindranath Tagore

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3002 on: March 31, 2013, 02:15:30 PM »
Dear Devotees,

What is meditation?
What is Enquiry?
What is the difference between two?

Devotees often wanted Sri Bhagwan to answer such questions. Sri Bhagwan’s Replyto such questions, in my view, can be, more or less, summarised as follows:

Meditation is the mental imagination of conceiving oneself to be the Supreme Reality.
Enquiry is to establish the mind in the Self such that the seed of false delusion (mind) perishes.

Sri Bhagwan taught that always keeping the mind fixed in the Self alone is called Self-enquiry, whereas meditation is thinking oneself to be Brahman, which is Existence-Consciousness-Bliss. Meditation is imagination of conceiving oneself to be That, whereas the Enquiry ‘Who am I?’ drowns one effortlessly in his real natural ‘being’, that is, the Self, which ever shines as ‘I am that I am’.

Dear devotees, Enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan gives something tangible, which is within awareness of one and all,  to grasp from the very beginning . For instance, we have the feeling ‘I’ to start with.  He teaches in Verse 3 of the ‘Sri Arunachala Pacharatnam’ that he who turns with untroubled mind to search where the consciousness of ‘I’ arises realises the Self, as a river when it merges in the ocean.

When I say that ‘I exist’, that is not mere existence. It is existence of which I am aware.  I can deny neither my existence nor its awareness. Can we? So, our existence is identical with consciousness. And another great clue is consciousness is always Self-consciousness and whenever we are conscious of anything, we are essentially conscious of ourselves.  Sri Bhagwan has taught that unself-conscious existence is a contradiction in terms. 
So, who am I?
Not body, not mind, not prana, not nescience.
CONSCIOUSNESS ALONE IS ‘I’.

Sri Muruganar: Knowing consciousness through consciousness—this alone is exalted Jnana of knowing the fullness of being. Until you know consciousness through consciousness, you should know that not even a trace of peace will exist for that consciousness.

Sri Bhagwan : If you abide as consciousness by knowing consciousness, the profound delusion caused by the frenzied obsession with sense objects will come to an end. OF ALL THE  SADHANAS THAT ARE WORTH PERFROMING, KNOWING CONSCIOUSNESS IS THE ONLY EXCELLENT AND DIFINITIVE ONE. To abide as the Self, pure consciousness, bereft of the suttarivu (objectified consciousness  or the mind consciousness)—this is the meaning of ‘knowing consciousness through consciousness’. KNOW THIS STATEMENT TO BE THE GREAT AND GLORIOUS MEANING OF THE UNIQUE PHRASE ‘SUMMA IRU’ THAT TELL YOU TO BE STILL (Padamalai). 

Therefore, dear devotees, to remain silent in our ‘I’, the Self, is alone the wisdom and the proper and most authentic course.

Having said as above, I wish now to share the following Verse of Sri Muruganar:
“A heavy building raised on foundations that have not been solidly laid will collapse in devastation, to the ridicule of all. It is therefore the duty of striving sadhakas to first thoroughly practice, by any means, devotion and detachment.”

Therefore, the effort to restrain the mind is indispensable in any spiritual sadhana. Sri Muruganar cautions that if beginners act as if they are free, this will, ultimately, lead to disappointment. For instance, I have learnt that in scripture such as Yoga Vashishtam it has been said that the great truth  ‘You are that Brahman’ should be taught only after thoroughly examining the nature of the disciple. However, for those who take to the pure and supremely beneficial path of Self-enquiry, can never get derailed if they are sincere, because, like the sun, this supremely direct path itself reveals to them its own unchallengeable clarity and uniqueness.   

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3003 on: March 31, 2013, 02:28:23 PM »
Dear Anil,

Yes. Meditation can only be for sadhakas who are beginners. This is only to orient the mind with a single thought. It is of course dual.
But after maturity, such a sadhaka can do self inquiry more comfortably and easily.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3004 on: March 31, 2013, 04:54:24 PM »
Quote:
“Meditation can only be for sadhakas who are beginners. This is only to orient the mind with a single thought. It is of course dual.
But after maturity, such a sadhaka can do self inquiry more comfortably and easily.”

Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

Ji. Yes. Thanks very much, sir. It is, in my view, a mistake to imagine that identity would simply dissolve the moment one declares, “Identity is false, I have no identity, enough of ego, enough of illusion! I have nothing to do with all these. I am the Self, ever-free.” This is plainly a wishful thinking, which cannot stand one in good stead and is sure to court disappointment sooner than later.   To exactly such a one, the Sage-Poet Sri Muruganar cautions that “A heavy building raised on foundations that have not been solidly laid will collapse in devastation, to the ridicule of all. It is therefore the duty of striving sadhakas to first thoroughly practice, by any means, devotion and detachment.” Therefore,all that one can do is prepare oneself and remain ready.

Pranma,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3005 on: April 01, 2013, 08:33:12 AM »
                                                  Threshold

I was not aware of the moment when I first crossed the threshold of this life.
What was the power that made me open out into this vast mystery like a bud in the forest at midnight!
When in the morning I looked upon the light I felt in a moment that I was no stranger in this world, that the inscrutable without name and form had taken me in its arms in the form of my own mother.
Even so, in death the same unknown will appear as ever known to me.
And because I love this life, I know I shall love death as well.
The child cries out when from the right breast the mother takes it away, in the very next moment to find in the left one its consolation.

Sri Rabindranath Tagore

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3006 on: April 01, 2013, 07:31:32 PM »
Sri Bhagwan : Why do you pointlessly find fault with me, saying that I no longer look at you? If you would only fix your gaze upon me, you would know that, established in the Heart, my Gaze is ever fixed upon you.  Looking at you from within the Self, I never leave you. How can this fact be known to your externalised vision?
Padamalai

Dear Devotees,

Therefore, it is only our externalised vision which obstructs our realisation of His munificent Grace and Truth. Sri Sadhu Natananda has recorded in Sri Ramana Darsnam that to those devotees who complained that, despite staying in His Presence for a long time, they were not able to experience His Grace palpably, Sri Bhagwan had the following Words of Grace :

“Bhagwan is always bestowing Grace. To regard the real as unreal and the unreal as real is alone ignorance. YOU YOURSELF ARE ALWAYS SHINING NATURALLY AS ‘I’, ‘I’. Does Bhagwan exist apart from that Being-Consciousness? It is the attention turned towards the body that causes the distinction between ‘you’ and ‘I’. If, through Self-attention, it (attention to the body)  is itself transformed into Being-Consciousness, and if one realises that the Reality is only One, where, then, is the scope for saying ‘you’ or ‘I’? Remaining still, having realised the Truth as It is, is the Guru’s Grace.”

Dear devotees, Sri Natanananda has recorded that after explaining the Real Nature of man in this way, Sri Bhagwan would immediately demonstrate the truth of His Statement by remaining still with a fixed Gaze.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil           

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3007 on: April 01, 2013, 07:43:29 PM »
Dear Anil,

Yes. Grace is always working whether Sri Bhagavan looks at the devotee or not. Sometimes, even His thought bestows grace.
But one should be mature enough to receive it by placing faith on Him and putting into practice the self inquiry.

Arunachala Siva.   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3008 on: April 02, 2013, 08:13:47 AM »
                 Lord of My Life

Thou who art the innermost Spirit of my being,
art thou pleased, Lord of my Life?
For I give to thee my cup filled with all
the pain and delight that the crushed
grapes of my heart had surrendered,
I wove with rhythm of colors and song cover for thy bed,
And with the molten gold of my desires
I fashioned playthings for thy passing hours.
I know not why thou chosest me for thy partner,
Lord of my life.

Didst thou store my days and nights,
my deeds and dreams for the alchemy of thy art,
and string in the chain of thy music my songs of autumn and spring,
and gather the flowers from my mature moments for thy crown?

I see thine eyes gazing at the dark of my heart,
Lord of my life,
I wonder if my failure and wrongs are forgiven.
For many were my days without service
and nights of forgetfulness; futile were the flowers
that faded in the shade not offered to thee.

Often the tied strings of my lute slackened
at the strains of thy tunes.
And often at the ruin of wasted hours
my desolate evenings were filled with tears.

But have my days come to their end at last,
Lord of my life, while my arms round thee
grow limp, my kisses losing their truth?
Then break up the meeting of this languid day!*
Renew the old in me in fresh forms of delight;
and let the wedding come once again in
a new ceremony of life.

Sri Rabindranath Tagore

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #3009 on: April 02, 2013, 08:56:17 AM »
Anil,

For many were my days without service
and nights of forgetfulness; futile were the flowers
that faded in the shade not offered to thee

What an expression and How True!
Thanks very much Anil Bhai for your posting the immortal songs of mahAkavi Tagore.
Namaskar.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3010 on: April 02, 2013, 06:46:39 PM »
Quote from Sri Subramanian Sir:
“Grace is always working whether Sri Bhagavan looks at the devotee or not. Sometimes, even His thought bestows grace.
But one should be mature enough to receive it by placing faith on Him and putting into practice the self inquiry.”

Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

Ji. Yes. Sri Bhagwan taught that Grace is always flowing and there is no time at which it is not flowing and there is no person towards whom it is not flowing. That which IS ,is Grace only.

Problem is this that when something good happens to us, we express gratitude to God and say that it all is due to His Grace. However, when something bad happens to us we blame our past karmas. Therefore, we always associate good fortune with Grace and bad fortune with lack of it. God appears gracious to us when we are successful and happy in the world, and not so gracious when we are unsuccessful and unhappy. And this leads us to believe that Grace flows only occasionally. Though it is difficult to accept our suffering and unpleasant experiences as being due to Grace, Sri Bhagwan taught that all our sorrows are not due to lack of Grace, but due to false identification of our True Self, that is, ourselves, with our body.  This will cease if Vichara is pushed deeper and deeper.  Once the ‘I am this body’ delusion is gone, there is only Peace and Joy and Grace is manifest without obstruction.

Dear sir, we are not able to experience Grace always because of the ego-mind and its desires and expectations. So, Grace is always there and it is always flowing towards everyone, BUT IT BECOMES MANIFEST ONLY WHEN THE MIND MERGES IN THE SELF, either through Enquiry or surrender or through any other method.

Sri Bhagwan taught that we can experience the Grace at all times only when we surrender, for, a person who surrenders accepts whatever comes to him as His Will alone. If someone has surrendered and is done with it, such a one will not consider anything as either good or bad. Surrendered one has no individual will and that is Grace.

Sri Bhagwan : Grace manifests itself when the quest for the Self begins. THE QUEST ITSELF IS THE RESULT OF GRACE. There is not a single moment when the Grace is not operating in us. Grace is beyond time and space. Grace is always there. It is beginning, middle and end. Grace is the Self.

Dear sir, this also explains why Grace has been mentioned and invoked in majority of the Verses in ‘Aksharamanamalai’ by Sri Bhagwan Himself.

Thanks very much, sir.
Pranam,
 Anil 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3011 on: April 02, 2013, 07:09:45 PM »
Dear Anil,

Yes. That is why Bhagavan describes in His AAMM, Verse 63:

Look at me! Think of me! Touch me!  Make me fit, and then by My Master, govern me. O Arunachala.

Arunachala Siva. 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3012 on: April 03, 2013, 09:31:33 AM »
Dear Sri Ravi,

Ji. Yes. Thanks very much, sir. Sri W. B. Yeats writes in his introduction to the translation of the Gitanjali, which won Noble Prize for Literature for the country, as follows:

“But though these translations from Rabindranath Tagore have stirred my blood as nothing has for years, I shall not know anything of his life, and the movements of thought that have made them possible, if some Indian traveller will not tell me.”
He writes further thus:

“I have carried the manuscript of these translations about with me for days, reading it in railway trains, or on the top of omnibuses and in restaurants, and I have often had to close it lest some stranger would see how much it moved me. These lyrics—which are in original, my Indians tell me, full of subtlety of rhythms, of untranslatable delicacies of colour, of metrical invention—display in their thought a world I have dreamed of all my life long.

Dear sir, when I used to read Gitanjali in college days, lines such as “entering my heart unbidden even as one of the common crowd, unknown to me, my king, thou didst press the signet of eternity upon many a fleeting moment of my life’ and other poems and lines so deeply moved me that I also read it in solitude lest I would invite ridicule from friends and colleagues. I would like to post the full poem from which lines have been cited above, as follows: 

“The day was when I did not keep myself in readiness for thee; and entering my heart unbidden even as one of the common crowd, unknown to me, my king, thou didst press the signet of eternity upon many a fleeting moment of my life.
And today when by chance I light upon them and see thy signature, I find they have lain scattered in the dust mixed with the memory of joys and sorrows of my trivial days forgotten.
Thou didst not turn in contempt from my childish play among dust, and the steps that I heard in my playroom are the same that are echoing from star to star.”
Poem 43, Gitanjali, Sri Rabindranath Tagore

Pranam,
 Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3013 on: April 03, 2013, 09:15:40 PM »
The supreme reality is being-consciousness-bliss. For the most highly qualified amongst those who ardently seek that reality in order to free themselves from the searing heat of birth, it is only through enquiry into the real nature of the jiva, which is indicated by the word ‘thou’ [in ‘That thou art’], that the glory of liberation will be attained.
V. 506, GVK, edited by Sri David Godman

Dear Devotees,

Sri Bhagwan has taught that, WITHOUT making enquiry into the intended meaning of the term ‘That’ in the sentence, one should make a quest of  the truth of the Real Self, who is indicated by the term ‘thou’.  Sri Bhagwan says that  in this Vedantic statement, ‘thou’ (‘I’) is directly experienced; but leaving it out we go on seeking ‘That’! Leaving out what is intimate and immediate, why should we seek the rest? ‘Thou’ is the Innermost Self in all. In order to find innermost Self, we leave it out and makes effort to seek ‘That’ objectively. 

Sri Bhagwan : All such ideas are arise only on forgetting one’s own Self. I never bothered myself with such matters. Only after a time it occurred to me that men had investigated such matters.

Sri Muruganar sings in GVK thus:

“You should know that it is only for those others with weak mind that the Vedas gave out the other words ‘Tat’ (That) and ‘asi’ (are) in order to turn those minds inward and make them favourably inclined towards enquiry.”
V. 507, GVK, Edited by Sri David Godman

Therefore, the essential point to note in the above Verse is that why should the minds of those which have turned inward and are favourably inclined towards the enquiry should meditate on the intended meaning of ‘That’ and ‘asi’, which were given out for the weak mind who could not directly take up Vichara? Enquiry into the import of the word ‘Thou’ or ‘I’, conducted as taught, culminates in the realisation of the Being-Consciousness, which is the true significance of the other two word ‘That’ and ‘asi’.
In books, such as Jnana Vashishtam, it is said that the great Truth ‘You are that Brahman which is everything’ should be taught only after thoroughly examining the nature of the disciple.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil     

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #3014 on: April 04, 2013, 07:44:38 AM »
Anil,

The day was when I did not keep myself in readiness for thee; and entering my heart unbidden even as one of the common crowd, unknown to me, my king, thou didst press the signet of eternity upon many a fleeting moment of my life.
And today when by chance I light upon them and see thy signature, I find they have lain scattered in the dust mixed with the memory of joys and sorrows of my trivial days forgotten.
Thou didst not turn in contempt from my childish play among dust, and the steps that I heard in my playroom are the same that are echoing from star to star.

These are the words of a supreme Bhakta.The sheer beauty and sweetness blended with poignance moves one to the depths.This poem expresses a fundamental Truth that every sincere seeker will attest to.
Yes,one who carries such a treasure in his heart would like to hide it from the  glare of public attention.
I tend to feel that Gitanjali adds stature to Nobel Prize.Truly a work of Rare beauty and profundity.
Namaskar.