Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 758252 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #300 on: December 23, 2010, 09:43:44 AM »
  I recently had a discussion with a niece of mine who was awarded PhD in Micro Biology by a prestigious American University. To my surprise and wonder, she truly believed that  the mind and the life itself are the product of the physical brain. Well, this implied that there is an element of atomocity in Life. I feel that there is need for them to understand and realise that in deep sleep when there is neither the mind nor
' i ' to perceive the world. Still she exists and that there is no break in her existence.  And that she can exist even when there is no ego-mind. Who is she?
  Some modern physicist also believe that the universe can be measured.
  Sri Bhagwan says that " the mind is like akasa ( ether ). Just as there are the objects in the akasa, so there are thoughts in the mind. ( This has been explined beutifully by Sri Uday Shankar in one of his posts on this Forum.) The akasa  is the counterpart of the mind and objects are of thought. One cannot hope to measure the universe and study the phenomena. It is impossible. For the objects are mental creations. To measure them is similar to trying to stamp with one's foot on the head of the shadow cast by oneself. The farther one moves the farther the shadow does also. So one cannot plant one's foot on the head of the shadow." ( Talks, no. 485, p-480 )  So, one cannot hope to unravel the mystery  that is the 'Life' by the study of data collected with the help of the sense perception. Thank you. Anil 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #301 on: December 23, 2010, 01:33:01 PM »
  Dear Sri Subramanian Sir, what a pity ! Sri Bhagwan has to steal the falsity (the false ego ) of his devotees so that He may prepare them to merely be and experience the Bliss of their own Self. What a pity ! Yet, we are reluctant to part with the falsity ! Regards. Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #302 on: December 23, 2010, 04:05:54 PM »
  How fantastic ! Many people tenaciously belive that consciousness is the product of the physical brain ! For them mental consciousness is the only consciousness ! There is nothing more to it than that for them. Brain cells contain all. And of course, physical sciences will be able to unravel the mystery of life besides the other unsolved puzzles sooner than  later ! Thank you. Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #303 on: December 24, 2010, 06:14:04 AM »
  Dear Devotees and Seekers, Sri Bhagwan says that a person's search for happiness is, in fact, an unconscious search for the very Self. This implies that the idea of happiness is innately ingrgined in all of us. Otherwise, why  would we be seeking happiness all the time ? Because the idea is innate. Why we all wish to be perfect ? Because, in truth, we are perfection ' Absolute ' ourselves. We are 'BLISS SUPREME' ourselves. Dear devotees, our 'Core' itself comprises of all that. This is why Greek philosopher Plato's ' Idea of Goodness' remains unsolved to this day as a problem of philosophy.
  Shakespeare said that all world is a stage and men and women are merely players. Yes,  the stage, men and women, the play itself as well as the 'LIGHT' by which they all are being illumined are He-BHAGWAN SRI RAMANA ARUNACHALA only. Thank you. Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #304 on: December 24, 2010, 07:49:54 AM »

Dear Anil,

There is a beautiful passage in Upanishad.  I think, it is between
Yajnavalkya and Gargi in Janaka's court. 

What is big?

Earth is big.

But earth [ say, a shovel of clay or sand], if thrown, shall fall
on the floor but shall not move.

Hence Water is bigger.

But Water, if a bucket of water, is thrown down, it spreads on
all four sides.

Yes. The Fire is bigger.

Yes. Fire, can spread not only on four sides but also upwards.

But, Air is still bigger.

Yes. Air, shall spread or quench the fire. It can spread on all
four directions, but also upwards and downwards, fire cannot
rise downwards.

But Space is still bigger.

Yes. Space can contain the air.  Air cannot spread through all
the Space.

Where is this Space, Gargi?

Gargi does not answer.

Yajnavalkya says: Space is in your mind. Your mind can visualize
the entire space.   But this mind also quells in the Self during
sleep.  Hence the Self is the biggest.

One who knows the Self, knows everything.

Sri Bhagavan says in ULLadu Narpadu, Verse 31:

For him who is the Bliss of the Self, arising from extinction of
the ego, what is there to do?  He knows nothing other than
this Self.  How to conceive the nature of his state?

Sri Bhagavan also says the same thing in Verse 11 of ULLadu Narpadu.

Arunachala Siva.

ramanaduli

• View Profile
« Reply #305 on: December 24, 2010, 08:35:28 AM »
Shiva and Krishna both are CHITH CHOR. Meera sings in her so many bhajans. Krishna stole her ego so she became brahma jnani.
Bhagavan also wants to steal our ego but our ego never allows to enter Him. We built very strong walls around us.

Ramanaduli

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #306 on: December 24, 2010, 09:25:58 AM »

Dear Ramanaduli,

Yes.  Sri Bhagavan says in Sri Arunachala Akshara Mana Maalai,
Verses 11 and 12:-

11.  When those robbers, the five senses, enter my mind, are You
not present there at home to keep them out?

When the owner is not at home and the house lies vacant, thieves
break in and steal.  But this owner, the Self, is ever present and
cannot leave the house.  And it is ever awake as Awareness and
cannot sleep either.  Hence it is present and aware, and only
pretends to be absent or asleep.  This idea is made clear in the next verse, No. 12.  Man is free and shares this gift with God.
The Self therefore permits the visit of the five senses.  This is due to freedom given to man to look without or look within.  Such freedom is only a trick, a piece of jugglery.  Temptation comes to purify and strengthen us.   Unless one overcomes the temptation, he cannot but fall a victim to the five senses.   The five senses are governed by the mind.  Unless the mind is brought to control, the five senses will play havoc in our life.  All this play happen due to our prarabdha.  What we can do?  We should try to put in efforts, to bring the mind look within.  For a person who can bring the mind to look within, there is no effect of prarabdha.

12.  You are the One without a second, the sole Real thing.  O Arunachala!  Who can hide you or hide from you, and come in here?  If strangers come in, it is with Your knowledge.  All this is but Your jugglery.

God or Sri Bhagavan remains in us, as the Self.  But at the same time, He also gives the mind to see whether the man uses this in a proper manner.  One can say that this is the play of Maya.  For a person who has overcome the sports of Maya, there is only bliss because the mind is curled up within the Self.

Arunachala Siva.             

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #307 on: December 24, 2010, 01:54:32 PM »
 Dear Sir, with the help of a very apt quote from the timeless Upanishad, ( reply 334 )  you have nicely shown the Self to be superior to gross elements like earth, water, fire and air and subtle elements like space and mind. Contemplation on such meaningful thoughts again and again reinforces conviction to pursue Self-enquiry intensely and awakens us to the dire need to know who we truly are. Thank you so much sir.
  Sri Einstein concluded that spce and time , contrary to general perception, are not two independent entities. He, therefore,  postulated space-time depending on the observer. So, even in Physics, the crux of the matter has been reduced to the mind and the person observing the events in time. But the Self is still elusive and will continue to be ever so , so long as physical sciences are solely dependent on the sensory data alone and no space is given to the faculty of intuition. Regards. Anil     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #308 on: December 24, 2010, 02:45:21 PM »

Dear Anil,

Einstein says that time and space are not two different quantities.
There is only one.  One is the quotient of other.  If one travels
faster than light, he comes back even before he started.  In other
words, time is not real.  You must also be knowing about the dilation
of time.

Sri Bhagavan says that both time and space are not real.  If one
is self realized, both time and time are not there.  Only the Present - Now - is the truth.  Sri Bhagavan says in ULLadu Narpadu
verses 15 and 16:

15. Past and future are dependent on the present.  The past was
present in its time and the future will be present too.  Ever-present
is the present.  To seek to know the future and the past, without
knowing the truth of time today, is to try to count without the number 1.

16.  Without us there is no time nor space.  If we are only bodies, we are caught up in time and space.  But are we bodies?  Now, then, always, -- here and now and everywhere -- we are the same.  We exist, timeless and spaceless we.

Arunachala Siva.     

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #309 on: December 25, 2010, 06:56:50 AM »
  Dear Sir, with matter becoming rather ghost-like, absolute space and time of the classical Physics turning out to be intangible space-time, little wonder that Sri Einstein was looking for a 'Cosmological Constant', in an universe undergoing accelarating expansion.
  But Sri Bhagwan has taught His devotees that space and time along with the insentient matter are mental creations and the mind rises from 'Sat-Chit-Ananda' swarupa Brahman who is our own Self. Therefore, for the devotees of Sri Bhagwan all space is reducible to ' HERE ' and all time to  'NOW'. So, for us, Reality is here and now in the hearts of all. Sri Bhagwan taught us that we are Consciousness in which are appearing and disappearing mind, body and universes without beginning and end. But, nevertheless, what I have to do with the changing phenomena, I am the unchanging screen sustaining the phenomena. Thank you so much sir. Regards. Anil     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #310 on: December 25, 2010, 09:09:10 AM »

Dear Anil,

Yes. Since the space and time are mental concepts, which we ourselves do not know, when we are in deep sleep, the self realized
Jnani like Sri Bhagavan had no such feelings of space and time.

Sri Bhagavan says in Stanza 3 of Atma Vidya Kirtanam:-

Of what avail is knowing things
Other than the Self?  And the Self being known,
What other thing is there to know?
That one Light that shines as many selves,
Seeing this Self within
As Awareness' lighting flash;
The play of Grace; the ego's death;
The blossoming of Bliss.

He again says in ULLadu Narpadu, Supplement, Verse 7:

Master:  By what light do you see?
Disciple: The sun by day, the lamp by night.
Master:  By what light do you see these lights?
Disciple:  The Eye
Master:  By what light do you see the eye?
Disciple:  The mind
Master:  By what light do you know the mind?
Disciple:  The Self
Master:  You, then are the Light of Lights.
Disciple:  Yes, That I am.

Saint Manikkavachagar says:

I do not my self. I do not know when the day becomes the night.
You have made me transcend the mind the speech.  You have made me mad. O Lord of Tiruperundurai, I do not know anything
other than Your golden feet.

Arunachala Siva.   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #311 on: December 25, 2010, 01:51:59 PM »
Dear Sir,

Ji, yes, ‘I’ is the Light of all lights. That Light, verily, I am.

The lighting flash of the Awareness is the Guru’s Grace fructifying
burning the deep ignorance that is the ego. The death of the ego is
the blossoming of the bliss.

In the context of the current discussion, I cite below Verse-27, Ch-13
 from Srimad Bhagavad Gita:

“ Samam sarvesu bhutesu tisthantam paramesvaram
  vinasyatsv avinasyantam yah pasyati sa pasyati.    “

He really sees who perceives the Supreme Lord alike in
everything-as the Imperishable Substance abiding amidst
perishing phenomena.

Thus, only the one who sees his own Self as the Imperishable Substance
  abiding in all perishing phenomena sees correctly with Jnana Chakshu.
  The rest who see with the fleshy eyes see only the perishing  phenomena
  resulting in fear and sorrows. Thank you so much sir.

Regards,
                                                                                 Anil 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #312 on: December 26, 2010, 08:19:54 AM »
Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

You have very nicely dealt with the question of  freedom (free will) and predestination in one of your previous posts under the current topic ( reply 236 ).

I wish to say that there is no confusion regarding the free will and the predestination. Sri Bhagwan has said that all our activities and actions are predestined. The experiences that this body-mind has to undergo cannot be altered however hard we may try to do so. Therefore, free will or the freedom is non-existent so far as the external concerning the body and the mind are concerned. But the fundamental question is, are we either the body or the mind ? No, we all say we are the Self, but, nevertheless, we cannot cease to identify with the body and the mind which is the not-Self.

THE REAL CHOICE OR THE REAL FREEDOM OR THE REAL FREE WILL IS EITHER TO ERRONEOUSLY IDENTIFY WITH THE BODY THAT IS PERFORMING THE ACTIONS OR WITH THE UNDERLYING TRUTH, I AM THAT I AM OR THE SELF IN WHICH THE BODY APPEARS AND IN WHICH IT DISAPPEARS. Choice is ours. Identify with the body and  continue to suffer or remember and be our Self and experience the ‘ Blossoming of Bliss , which is our real nature. Can we blame God if we choose of, our own volition, the former ?

So, we always have only one real choice to make. Either to remember and be aware of the Self or remain trapped in the body-mind complex and experience pangs of births and deaths and suffer endlessly.

Free will or no free will, we are the Self. Nothing can obstruct my awareness of the Self except my own self-imposed ignorance of the form ‘ I am the body-mind ’. If, by proper enquiry, we remove this ignorance Self is revealed. This revelation of the Self is not predestined but the result of the removal of the ignorance of our own choice, our own volition, of not identifying ourselves with the body but of remembering and enquiring and being Self-aware. Self-Revelation does not form the part of the destiny. Only outer bodily activities are predestined.

Therefore, it is obvious that our responsibility does not lie in trying to change the predestined course of actions that will materialize any way, sometimes as if from nowhere, whether we like it or not. Our responsibility, therefore, is to pay attention always to the inner life only. Free will or the freedom pertains only to the inner life. That alone is our responsibility. After all, why should I care, why should I lament that this and that are happening to some entity that is not me ? Why should I blame God for some thing that should not be my concerns in the first place, and which, in truth, is happening outside of myself ? Should I be concerned if something happens to somebody living in an unknown region ? However endearing my body and the mind may appear to me, the truth is that it is an unknown entity of the unknown region which on awareness of the true Self is non-existent. Thank you so much sir.

Regards,
                                                                                                               Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #313 on: December 26, 2010, 09:14:28 AM »
  Dear Sir, reply 342 has been posted with reference to your post, reply 336. Regards. Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #314 on: December 26, 2010, 10:18:14 AM »

Dear Anil,

Sri Bhagavan describes this squarely in Verse 19, of ULLadu Narpadu:

The debate 'Does free will prevail or fate?' is only for those
who do not know the root of both.  Those who have known the
Self, the common source of free will and of fate, have passed
beyond them both, and will not return to them.

Sri Sankara says in one of his verses:  To ask whether the egg
came first or the chicken came first, I shall tell them, "Crush the
egg and wrench the neck of chicken and throw both on the ground.
Sit on the ground and look at the Space and meditate."  Only
the Space, Akasa is the Truth and not these debates.

Arunachala Siva.