Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 758663 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #2970 on: March 21, 2013, 07:09:23 PM »
                      Strong Mercy

My desires are many and my cry is pitiful,
but ever didst thou save me by hard refusals;
and this strong mercy has been wrought into my life through and through.

Day by day thou art making me worthy of the simple,
great gifts that thou gavest to me unasked---this sky and the light, this body and the
life and the mind---saving me from perils of overmuch desire.

There are times when I languidly linger
and times when I awaken and hurry in search of my goal;
but cruelly thou hidest thyself from before me.

Day by day thou art making me worthy of thy full acceptance by
refusing me ever and anon, saving me from perils of weak, uncertain desire.”

Sri Rabindranath Tagore

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2971 on: March 22, 2013, 09:36:25 AM »
However keenly one looks into the true scriptures, they will tell one only to scrutinise oneself within oneself [and thereby to know who one really is]. The purpose of looking into a mirror is only to be happy by seeing the beautiful face of the man,  is it not?
V. 1156, GVK, Tr. and comm. by Sri Sadhu Om

Among those who approach the mirror—the true Jnana-sastras which reveal that that which is to be known is Self—many merely look at the sastras and the big commentaries on them, while few save themselves , as those scriptures recommend, by searching within and knowing their own nature [Self].
V. 1157, GVK, Tr. and Comm. by Sri Sadhu Om

If the truth is told, the knower of reality is different, and scholar who knows the scriptures which tell about the true knowledge is different. For those who wish to sever the bondage of ignorance, it is necessary to leave the scholars and to associate with those who abide as the supreme Self.
V. 1158. GVK, Tr. and Comm. by Sri Sadhu Om

Sri Bhagwan : This is only the husk. All this book learning and capacity to repeat scriptures by memory is absolutely no use. To know the truth you need not undergo all this torture of learning. Not by reading do you get to the truth. Be quiet. That is the truth. Be still, that is God.

Dear Devotees,

Sri Muruganar says that that the picture of a bottle gourd drawn on paper is not useful for making a curry. Similarly, the Enquiry that starts with books and ends with books does not lead to the bliss of Peace that comes through Jnana. That is why all the scriptures ask us to enquire into ourselves.

The purpose of reading scriptures is only to experience the true happiness of Self-knowledge. Therefore, as soon as one reads the scriptures, which reveal ‘You are That or You are Brahman’, one should investigate and verify the truth of It from one’s own direct experience by scrutinising and knowing oneself through the Enquiry ‘Who am I?’.  Sri Bhagwan says in ‘Who am I?’ that since it is said in all the scriptures that in order to attain liberation one should control (i.e. destroy) the mind, after coming to know that mind-control ALONE is the Final Verdict of the scriptures, TO READ SCRIPTURES  UNLIMITEDLY  IS FRUITLESS.

Dear devotees, after engaging oneself in the Sadhana of the Atma-Vichara, making research in the scriptures is of no use. Sri Bhagwan’s Teaching has no ambiguity is this regard, claim of some pseudo Vedantists notwithstanding. SRI BHAGWAN HAS TAUHGT CRYSTAL-CLEAR THAT SCRIPTURES ARE USEFUL ONLY TO TURN US WITHIN TOWARDS THE PATH OF SELF-ENQUIRY , AND ARE OF NO FURTHER USE TO US  WHEN WE ARE FULLY CONVINCED AND HAVE ENGAGED IN PRACTICE OR NIDHIDHYSANA.   

Only the Teachings of true Jnanis who are forever established in the Experience of the Self, in Brahma-Nishtha will bestow the Light of Truth if we meditate and follow steadfastly and whole-heartedly on their Teachings in our hearts. There is no other way. Mere scriptural knowledge at best can give some illusory fame and adulation in the world, BUT NOT JNANA.  Therefore, unless one comes to someone who abides as the Self, the experience of Jnana is not attained, FOR HIS POWER OF GRACE ALONE SUPPORTS EVERYTHING, FOR THE POWER OF HIS GRACE ALONE IS THE SAVING SUPPORT AND BESTOWS JNANA.
THE FINAL VERDICT: ONE MUST VERIFY THE UPANISHADIC MESSAGE ‘YOU ARE THAT’ FROM ONE’S DIRECT EXPEREINCE BY INVESTIGATING, SCRUTINISING AND KNOWING ONESELF THROUGH THE ENQUIRY ‘WHO AM I?’.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2972 on: March 22, 2013, 09:40:13 AM »
Dear Anil,

Very much yes.  One sees the mirror only to see how much beard has grown. Then with the help of mirror, he shaves his beard.
He does not shave the mirror!  The scriptures are like a mirror. You use them to have your beard removed. You cannot keep on
reading scriptures to attain Self Knowledge or have the beard disappear!

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2973 on: March 22, 2013, 02:12:13 PM »
Quote from Sri Subramanian Sir:
“One sees the mirror only to see how much beard has grown. Then with the help of mirror, he shaves his beard.
He does not shave the mirror! The scriptures are like a mirror. You use them to have your beard removed. You cannot keep on
reading scriptures to attain Self Knowledge or have the beard disappear!”

Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

Ji. Yes. This is a beautiful simile. Self-knowledge cannot be attained by reading books or sastras voraciously, as beard cannot be removed by merely looking into the mirror. What follows is an excerpt from ‘Letters from Sri Ramanasramam:

Q: All people here are reading some books but I am not able to do that. What shall I do?
Sri Bhagwan : What do you think the book is teaching? You see yourself and then see me. IT IS LIKE ASKING TO SEE YOURSELF IN A MIRROR. The mirror shows only what is on the face. If you see the mirror after washing your face, the face will appear to be clean. Otherwise the mirror will say there is dirt here, come back after washing. A book does the same thing. If you read the book, after realising the Self, everything will be easily understood. If you read it before realising the Self, you will see ever so many defects. It will say, ‘First set yourself right and then see me’. That is all. First see your Self. Why do you worry yourself about all that book learning. 

Ji. Yes. Sri Bhagwan says that for saving we use mirror. We look into the mirror and then shave our beard. We do not shave the image in the mirror.  It follows that all the scriptures are meant only to show the way to Realisation. THEY ARE MEANT FOR PRACTICE AND ATTAINMENT AND NOT FOR LEARNEDSHIP AND VAIN ARGUMENT FOR SCORING DEBATING POINTS AND ESTABLISH SUPERMACY OVER OTHERS.

Ji.  Yes. Mere book learning and arguing ad nauseam are comparable to shaving image in the mirror. AND THIS SHAVING OF THE IMAGE IN THE MIRROR IS glaringly evident in the forum now-a-days. I am a little disillusioned owing to the strange and queer turn this forum has taken of late. I am certain that any attempt to distort Sri Bhagwan’s Teaching will never succeed. However, I deeply feel that the current tone in the forum, lack of humility and respect, juvenile and delinquent attitude towards other members and the Guru’s Teaching, and deep propensity to present one’s own highly egoistic, distorted and misleading views in guise of the view of the great ones, are  highly detrimental, particularly to those who have just engaged themselves on the Path of the Atma-Vichara, as taught by Sri Bhagwan.

Thanks very much, sir.
Pranam,
  Anil

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #2974 on: March 22, 2013, 03:49:20 PM »
Anil,
Only the Teachings of true Jnanis who are forever established in the Experience of the Self, in Brahma-Nishtha will bestow the Light of Truth if we meditate and follow steadfastly and whole-heartedly on their Teachings in our hearts. There is no other way

Very True anil bhai.

Namaskar.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2975 on: March 22, 2013, 07:01:10 PM »
                                  Dungeon
He whom I enclose with my name is weeping in this dungeon.
I am ever busy building this wall all around; and as this wall goes up into
the sky day by day I lose sight of my true being in its dark shadow.

I take pride in this great wall, and I plaster it with dust and sand
lest a least hole should be left in this name;
and for all the care I take I lose sight of my true being.
Sri Rabindranath Tagore

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2976 on: March 23, 2013, 04:18:21 PM »
Dear Devotees,

I feel that a great spiritual revolution is waiting to happen. When Sri Bhagwan’s Teachings and Example are understood more widely, the beautiful and sublime flavour of this beautiful flower is sure to spread all over the world.

Enlightenment is sometimes also termed as Jagrat Sushupti or Waking Sleep or Wakeful Sleep.  Is It not? So, emphasis on Mouna or Silence in Sri Bhagwan’s Teaching is in fact actuation of the sushupti state while one is still awake. If I am able to experience the state of sushupti or sleep in the waking state, it implies cessation of ‘I’-ness, that is, ego is gone. But ‘I Am’ or ‘you are’ not gone. I am still there. But, nevertheless, ‘I’-ness or ‘youhood’ is gone. AND THIS IS THE GREATEST ACHIEVEMENT ONE COULD ASPIRE FOR IN THIS LIFE.

Sri Bhagwan has an utterly practical approach to spiritual problems, emanating from His State of Realisation.. “An individual wants to be happy and this is how all philosophies start.” THERE IS AN INBORN AND UNLEARNT OR UNTAUGHT  URGE  TO BE HAPPY, WHICH IS UNIVERSAL. Is it not? Therefore, to be perennially happy is the ORIGINAL INTENTION.
Sri Bhagwan : You are moving away from your Original Intention. In your whole life, you are looking for something that you have lost in the day and locating it in the night.

This is not the proper way to gain our end at all. WE MUST GAIN THAT, HAVING GOT WHICH NOTHING REMAINS TO BE GAINED, FOR THEN ONE ALWAYS REVELLS AS THE BLISSFUL SELF.   Then there is nothing to aspire for, nothing more to think of, nothing more to bother about, NOTHING MORE TO ARGUE FOR OR AGAINST.     

This is hidden deep inside us. Because It is hidden deep inside us that there is such an urge to be happy.  If the Source of this tiny ‘I’ or aham is not there we would not want to be happy at all. Where from the urge will come? So, the Source of this aham or the ego is Itself Happiness, Peace, Bliss and Love.

THEREFORE, THE SIMLEST TEACHING IN THE ANNALS OF SPIRITUAL HISTORY IS REVEALED: YOU GET TO KNOW WHAT IS THE SOURCE OF THAT ‘I’.

Dear devotees, the mantra that Sri Bhagwan taught is the Supreme Mahavakya, which, in my view, is more relevant to us and much more potent than the mahavakyas, such as, ‘Aham Brahmasmi’, Tat Tvam Asi, etc. The Path of Self-enquiry, as taught, was termed as Mahayoga by Sri Bhagwan Himself.  “Who Am I?” is the Mahavakya that He gave us. There can be nothing more important and valuable than this Mahavakya for us. BECAUSE I DO NOT KNOW WHO I AM, THIS ‘I’ MUST BE THE SUBJECT OF ENQUIRY.  We identify the ‘I’ with the body, the world and objects outside. But we are aware that this is not the true ‘I’. Besides, there is always the ‘my’ and ‘mine’ associated with this ‘I’. This contaminated ‘I’ is always characterised by an objective or relative reference. This is what we normally confuse for the Aham or ‘I’.     

When we closely reflect, we notice that the ‘I’ is more constant than the ‘my’ and the ‘mine’. The ‘my’ and the ‘mine’ come and go. They are dependent on the objects outside. They are bound in space and time. But the ‘I’ is something that is continuous, that is, ‘I-I’, which goes on throughout our waking life, throughout our dream life and goes on throughout our sleep life as well, like the Sruti Note. Sri Bhagwan taught that if there was a gap in this ‘I’, we would go to sleep and wake up as different persons. There would then be a break in the continuity of the individual. So, the ‘I’ continued to exist during sleep without the ‘my’ and the ‘mine’.

In the path of Atma-Vichara, we learn to discern the ‘aham’ or ‘I’ beyond the mind’s ken, beyond the mind’s reach and the moment we experience such state that is said to be the Moment of Realisation, Sat-darshanam. Such is the Power of the Atma-vichara, or the search for this ‘I’ or the Enquiry ‘Who am I?’

Dear devotees, it is not for nothing that Bhagwan Sri Ramana reminded time and again that this is  the shortest, safest, the most reliable and an infallible method. IT IS POSSIBLE FOR ALL OF US HERE IN THIS FORUM, FOR ALL PEOPLE—IT IS WITHIN THE CAPACITY OF ALL PEOPLE. PATH OF ATMA-VICHARA IS THEREFORE THE MAHAYOGA WHICH IS INCLUSIVE OF ALL OTHER YOGAS.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2977 on: March 24, 2013, 10:20:23 AM »
          Beggarly Heart

When the heart is hard and parched up,
come upon me with a shower of mercy.

When grace is lost from life,
come with a burst of song.

When tumultuous work raises its din on all sides shutting me out from
beyond, come to me, my lord of silence, with thy peace and rest.

When my beggarly heart sits crouched, shut up in a corner,
break open the door, my king, and come with the ceremony of a king.

When desire blinds the mind with delusion and dust, O thou holy one,
thou wakeful, come with thy light and thy thunder.

Sri Rabindranath Tagore

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2978 on: March 24, 2013, 10:32:37 AM »
Dear Devotees,

Path of Love or the Path of Devotion is really the same as that of surrender or submission.  Whole burden is cast upon the Guru or God. Is it easy? Sri Bhagwan said to one devotee, Submit to me and I will strike down the mind.” To another He said, “Only keep quiet, Bhagwan will do the rest.” Yet to another, He says, “Your business is only to surrender and leave everything to me.” This is not easy at all.

Sri  Bhagwan declared, putting at rest, for once and all, all doubts and confusion regarding paths.

Sri Bhagwan : There are two ways. EITHER ASK YOURSELF ‘WHO AM I?’ OR SURRENDER TO THE GURU.

But contrary to general perception, I always felt that the surrender to the Guru or God is, in fact, much more difficult than the Path of Enquiry. To submit to the Guru or God unconditionally and keep the mind quiet and still to be fully receptive to the Grace is by no means easy.  In the Path of Devotion as in any other spiritual practices, constant effort is essential, CONSTANT EFFORT IN THE FORM OF CONSTANT REMEMBERING.  Is constant remembering easy? ONLY THE GRACE OF THE GURU OR GOD MAKES IT POSSIBLE. Our very remembrance is the forerunner of the Grace, says Sri Bhagwan. So, one takes recourse to various devotional and other spiritual practices to help them in the sadhana of submission and surrender. However, to me, these practices are very confusing, and it is like treading through streets, lane and by-lanes, while the Royal Straight and Direct Path beckons one all the while. Sri Osborne says that though Sri Bhagwan approved and enjoined such practices, He seldom actually prescribed them. PATH OF SUBMISSION IS VERY MEANDERING INDEED!

Dear devotees, when the pursuit is spiritual, we should never forget, no, not at any cost, that Grace is the Primary Cause, and the beginning, middle and the end. Sri Arthur Osborne has recorded that once Sri Sundaresha  Aiyar composed a Tamil song in the praise of Sri Bhagwan referring to the Grace flowing from His eyes to sustain the devotees. Do you know that Sri Bhagwan corrected Sri Aiyer thus, “NO, NOT FLOWING BUT PROJECTED, BECAUSE IT IS THE CONSCIOUS PROCESS DIRECTING THE GRACE TO THE PERSON CHOSEN.” Well, this Statement of Sri Bhagwan is of paramount importance to me.

Therefore, effort is required in order to be fully receptive and to utilise that Grace of the Guru. AND FOR THIS, IT IS WELL KNOWN THAT SRI BHAGWAN CONSTANTLY PROPOUNDED  ATMA-VICHARA.

Sri Bhagwan : SELF-ENQUIRY ALONE CAN REVEAL THE TRUTH THAT NEITHER THE EGO NOR THE MIND REALLY EXISTS AND ENABLE ONE TO REALISE THE PURE, UNDIFFERENTIATED BEING OF THE SELF OR ABSOLUTE.

Therefore, dear devotees, to me, the Surrender becomes at once tangible when the Essence of Surrender is understood: SURRENDER IS TO GIVE ONESELF UP TO THE ORIGINAL CAUSE OF BEING. AND THE ORIGINAL CAUSE OF OUR BEING IS WITHIN. WE MUST FIND OUR SOURCE, THE ORIGINAL CAUSE OF OUR BEING, BY ENQUIRY, AND GIVE OURSELVES TO IT. 

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
 Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2979 on: March 24, 2013, 10:40:30 AM »
Dear Anil,

Yes. Total self surrender and self inquiry take one to the same goal.  Many people think that surrender is easy.  It is not so.
Total self surrender is as difficult as self inquiry.  The ego plays the trick of being a stumbling block in  both the cases.
In inquiry, the ego is destroyed first. In total self surrender, the ego vanishes at the end.

Arunachala Siva. 

cefnbrithdir

• View Profile
« Reply #2980 on: March 24, 2013, 01:11:20 PM »

Dear Anil Dear Subramanian Sir

Did Bhagavan talk about loneliness on the Vichara path? It seems to me that the ego must go through much loneliness, almost dereliction, before its dissolution. It is so easy to relieve loneliness by creating objects in the mind for the ego to play with and keep company. Sense objects being just one type - there being  many others much more subtle.

Thank you

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2981 on: March 24, 2013, 01:31:57 PM »

Dear cefnbrithdir,

Vichara of course, has to be taken by oneself alone.  However, in a group, when all do silently vichara, there is lonelines
individually.  It is about one's Atma (though Atma of all is one and the same), it is a lonely process, no doubt. It is not like
group singing or group dancing, where there is inter related communication either silently or through action.

Diving into the sea with breath controlled, to pick the pearl, has to be done by one by himself
alone, is it not ?

Arunachala Siva.

cefnbrithdir

• View Profile
« Reply #2982 on: March 24, 2013, 01:40:46 PM »

Dear Subramanian Sir

Thank you. I entirely agree.

I just wondered whether Bhagavan addressed this specifically  in words of acknowledgement or comfort.  Except of course that He is always with us. So perhaps what more is there to say.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2983 on: March 25, 2013, 07:20:25 PM »
Quote from Sri cefnbrithdir:
“Did Bhagavan talk about loneliness on the Vichara path? It seems to me that the ego must go through much loneliness, almost dereliction, before its dissolution. It is so easy to relieve loneliness by creating objects in the mind for the ego to play with and keep company. Sense objects being just one type - there being many others much more subtle”.

Dear Sri cefnbrithdir,

Yes, as Sri Subramanian Sir pointed out, Vichara is essentially a lonely process. Diving into the Heart has to be accomplished by the ego alone. One has to do away with objects and their thoughts—gross and subtle, and ultimately the thought (‘I’-thought) that thinks them must also be resolved into the Heart or simply being unreal must disappear.

But, dear friend Sri cefnbrithdir, having said as above, I wish to say that we must understand what really is meant by ‘loneliness’ here. By solitude physical solitude is not meant. Sri Bhagwan has taught that one might be in the thick of things and yet maintain the serenity of the mind. Such a one is in solitude. On the other hand, another may stay is a forest, still he may be unable to control his mind. Such a one cannot be said to be in solitude. Solitude is in the mind of the man. It is the function of the mind. A man attached to desire cannot get solitude wherever he may be. On the contrary, a detached man is always in solitude.

Solitude is destroyed by the intrusion of objects and their thoughts. Therefore, solitude amounts to preventing the mind from externalisation and not allowing it to let go. Sri Bhagwan has taught that solitude amounts to making the mind still and it can be done in a crowd too. Moreover, solitude by itself cannot efface one’s thoughts. Practice alone does it and that practice can be made everywhere.

Individuality or the ego is said to be operative as the perceiver of thoughts and their sequence.  That means on the plane of relativity, the individuality or the ego is subject or the seer, and objects and their thoughts—gross or subtle, that is, the drishya or the seen, is the object. However, on Realisation, this seer-subject is found to be an object only. So, Sri Bhagwan taught that we must seek the subject until all drishya or the seen or the objects or their  thoughts (including subtle ones as you have mentioned) disappear. THE SUBJECT ITSELF WILL BECOME SUBTLER AND SUBTLER UNTIL THE ABSOLUTE SUBJECT ALONE SURVIVES.

Dear Sri cefnbrithdir, Once the drishya  is eliminated, once the objective world is gone, WITH THEM ARE ALSO ELIMINATED THE SEPARATE IDENTITIES OF THE SUBJECT AND THE OBJECT!

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil

cefnbrithdir

• View Profile
« Reply #2984 on: March 25, 2013, 07:49:42 PM »

Dear Anil

Your response addresses entirely  the "loneliness" I had in mind.

Referring to Subject and Object(s) may sound  clinical but I do think it helps discriminate and gives precision to sadhana. The ego really doesn't like living without objects and consciously and unconsciously tries to delay its extinction.

Thank you again.