Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 757271 times)

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #2940 on: February 22, 2013, 05:46:09 PM »
Dear Sri Anil,

Beautiful verse You have posted. Indeed there is nothing else to know exept the Self. Through that knowledge,all else is known. We only need to letgo this imagined individual,to surrend it,or to realise that it was never ours to surrend,and to enjoy Bliss. Be Still is supreme surrender indeed.

" “Your duty is to be and not to be this or that. 'I am that I am' sums up the whole truth. The method is summed up in the words 'Be still'. What does stillness mean? It means destroy yourself. Because any form or shape is the cause for trouble. Give up the notion that 'I am so and so'."

Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharshi

Thank You Very much,dear Sri Anil!

With love and prayers,

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2941 on: February 22, 2013, 05:50:15 PM »
Dear Anil,

There are several such quizzical passages in Sri Bhagavan's works/

For example in Verse 20 of AAMM: it appears as if Sri Bhagavan is asking Arunachala to save Him and grace Him from the net
of women with swordl ike eyes. It is incorrect. Sri  Bhagavan has transcended the woman and man differences and He sees
every human being only as Atma. So, the phrase koorvAt kaNNiyar kodumaiyil padAthu aruL.... means, 'let me be saved from
some rogue sadhus, with sword like eyes brimming with jealousy and who who were giving trouble to Him in the Hill.'

If you see Sri Ramana's biograhy, you may see several such bogus sadhus giving Him trouble. One sadhu tried to roll down the rock
from top on His body.  Another sadhu told people that 'He is my disciple' and showing Him, he was collecting money from visitors.
One another sadhu applied green chillies paste on His body. There are so many instances.

Arunachala Siva. 

sword like eyes     

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2942 on: February 23, 2013, 03:26:26 PM »
Dear Sri Subramanian Sir and Sri Nagaraj Ji,

Ji. Yes. I have read Sri Bhagwan’s Biography and am aware that several barterer of spirituality, living in and around Sri Arunachala those days in guise of sadhus, felt threatened by Sri Bhagwan’s Presence.  I am aware that they kept on devising ways and means to inflict pain and trouble to compel Sri Bhagwan to leave Tiruvannamalai. One bogus sadhu even tried to roll a rock down the Slope of the Sacred Hill on to His body.  Although I know about these instances, I do not know why these things happened to Sri Bhagwan. 

Quote from Sri Subramanian Sir:
“it appears as if Sri Bhagavan is asking Arunachala to save Him and grace Him from the net
of women with swordl ike eyes. It is incorrect. Sri Bhagavan has transcended the woman and man differences and He sees
every human being only as Atma.”

Quote from Sri Nagaraj Ji:
“The door was opened by a young girl whose beauty stupefied the mind of Narada, stopping for a moment his incessant chant of "Narayana, Narayana". Forgetting both Krishna and His thirst - the very purpose of his coming there - he enquired the girl "Dear, who are you? Who is your father? I would consider myself most fortunate if I can marry you." The girl replied, "My father is inside. You can talk to him." Narada went inside and spoke to the girl's father, "Respected Sir, you may know me to be Narada, Narayana's servant. Attracted by the beauty and modesty of your daughter, I propose to marry her.”
"Today, Narayana, You have revealed to me Your Vishnumaya shakti. I, your servant, have been thoroughly confounded by your Vishnumaya with the false notion of I, mine, my family, my wife, my child, my wealth etc. Taking this impermanent world as the source of happiness, I wandered about in the dense darkness of household life, totally forgetting your lotus feet. In the end, I underwent extreme sorrow as the fruit of my self-centred household life and the consequent forgetfulness of You.”

Dear Sri Subramanian sir and Sri Nagaraj Ji, as regards your above quotes, I wish to say that as long as sense of differentiation persists, that is, as long as we see differences in man and woman with fleshy eyes, and do not see all beings including man and woman with the Eye of Wisdom (Jnana Netra) as the Self, SWORDS OF EYES MAY CONTINUE TO TROUBLE MAN AND ARROWS OF CUPID TO WOMAN.  So, we see that even a supreme devotee like Sri Narada Muni falls a prey to lust and passion and is captivated by the enticing beauty of a young and beautiful woman due to Vishnumaya. It was only after he remembered that he has forgotten and swerved away from the Lotus Feet, and he prayed earnestly, sincerely and truthfully, that his ignorance was destroyed by His Grace. Then Sri Muni realised that ‘I’, ‘mine’, ‘my family’, ‘my wife’, ‘my child’, my wealth’, etc., are false notions or illusory thoughts and an impermanent, mental and false world and the darkness of the household life cannot be the permanent source of happiness. 

Dear sir, having said as above, I wish to add that for one whose mind is truly in-turned remaining engaged in Vichara, as soon as bards of lust and passions arise, one is likely to see immediately that these are temporary mental agitations and most likely will come ENQUIRING THE WAY to oneself. IT ALL DEPENDS, IN MY VIEW, UPON THE SINCERITY AND EARNESTNESS OF PURPOSE OF THE SEEKERS.  Either one reaches the Goal treading the straight highway by the shortest route, without getting distracted, or gets distracted by wayward myriad enticing distractions and again falls into bottomless abyss. CHOICE, WHETHER WE WANT TRUE, CHOICELESS, NON-DUAL BLISS AND LOVE OF THE SELF OR SOILED PLEASURE OF THE FALSE MENTAL AGITATIONS OTHER SIDE OF WHICH IS SORROW, ARE OURS, GRACE IS HIS.

Thanks very much, sir.
Pranam,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2943 on: February 23, 2013, 03:46:44 PM »
Quote from Sri Jewell:
“We only need to let go this imagined individual, to surrender it, or to realise that it was never ours to surrender, and to enjoy Bliss. Be Still is supreme surrender indeed.”

Dear Sri jewell,

Yes, in my view, you have assimilated Sri Bhagwan’s and Sri Nisagaradatta Maharaj’s Teaching so well. We need to get rid of the imagined individual. The Enquiry is one infallible method to see the unreality of this imagined individual. As we progress in Enquiry, we automatically go on surrendering to that extent, which finally culminates in knowledge that there never was anything to surrender and it was never ours. ONE THEN REVELS IN ‘BE STILL’ AND ENJOYS BLISS OF THE BEING FOR EVER, as you said.

Thanks very much, dear friend.
Pranam,
  Anil   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2944 on: February 23, 2013, 03:49:16 PM »
Devotee: Sri J. Krishnamurti teaches the EFFORTLESS AND CHOICELESS AWARENESS as distinct from that of deliberate concentration. Would Sri Bhagwan be pleased to explain how best to practice meditation and what form the object of meditation should take?

Sri Bhagwan :  EFFORTLESS AND CHOICLESS AWARENESS IS OUR REAL NATURE. If we attain it or be in that state, it is all right. BUT ONE CANNOT REACH WITHOUT EFFORT, THE EFFORT OF DELIBERATE MEDITATION. All the age-long vasanas carry the mind outward and turn it to external objects. All such thoughts have to be given up and the mind turned inward. For that, effort is necessary for most people. Of course every book says, ‘Be still’. But it is not easy. That is why all this effort is necessary. Even if we find one who has at once achieved the mauna or Supreme state indicated by “Be still”, you may take it that the effort necessary has already been finished in a previous life. SO THAT, EFFORTLESS AND CHOICLESS AWARENESS IS REACHED ONLY AFTER DELIBERATE MEDITATION.
Source: Day by day With Bhagwan

Dear Devotees,

Every one of us here is aware that effortless and choiceless Awareness is our real nature. Are we not? All Gurus and the Scriptures are teaching and feeding only that which is indicated by “BE STILL”. Having come to the Lotus Feet of Sri Bhagwan we are even aware that Bliss will follow if we are still. Are we not? But however much we may tell our mind about this truth, the mind will not keep quiet. IT IS THE MIND THAT WON’T KEEP QUIET. It is the mind which tells the mind, ‘Be quiet and we will attain Bliss’.
Though all the Scriptures have said it, though we hear about it every day from the great ones, and though all great Gurus and even Sri Bhagwan says it, WE NEVER ARE QUIET, BUT STRAY INTO THE WORLD OF ILLUSION AND SENSE OBJECTS.
THAT IS WHY SRI BHAGWAN TAUGHT THAT CONSCIOUS, DELIBERATE EFFORT OR MEDITATION IS REQUIRED TO ATTAIN THAT STATE OF SILENCE OR THE STATE OF BEING STILL OR QUIET.
Therefore, notwithstanding those who keep on haranguing, day in and day out, that effort is not required since one revels, all the same, in the Self 24*365* infinity, OR FOREVER, I wish to reiterate that EFFORT IS SINE-QUA-NON TO REACH THAT EFFORTLESS AND CHOICELESS AWARENESS.

Dear devotees, though Sri Bhagwan says, on the one hand, that meditation can take any form which appeals to one best, that can help keep away all other thoughts, He consistently taught  earnest and sincere devotees and seekers thus:

“Regulation of life, such as getting up at a fixed hour, bathing, doing mauna, japa, etc., observing ritual, ALL THIS IS FOR PEOPLE WHO DO NOT FEEL DRAWN TO SELF-ENQUIRY OR ARE NOT CAPABLE OF IT. BUT FOR THOSE WHO PRACTICE THIS METHOD ALL RULES AND DISCIPLINE ARE UNNECESSARY.”

Thanks very much.
  Pranam,
   Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2945 on: February 24, 2013, 04:16:28 PM »
Sri Annamalai Swami: If the meditation is not continuous enough, the other part of the mind becomes predominant. You have to overpower this mind that is taking you away from yourself by repeatedly doing this SELF-ENQUIRY.
Sri Swami: Whatever may be happening, enquire, “To whom is all this happening?” DO THIS ANF GO BACK TO YOUR SELF, which is PEACE.
Sri Swami: IT WAS MY EXPEREINCE THAT THROUGH CONTINUOUS SADHANA I GRADUALLY RELAXED INTO THE SELF. IT WAS A GRADUAL PROCESS.
Source: Final Talks

Dear Devotees,

Thus Sri Annamalai Swami has also taught that constant meditation is the only way. Until we get firmly established in the Self or in Atma-swarupa, we have to continue with our meditation.  DOUBTS TAKE POSSESSION OF US ONLY IF WE FORGET THE SELF. Ignorance is the forgetfulness of the Self. Sri Bhagwan says that the evil forgetfulness which causes us to slip down from Silence, alone is non-devotion.
Dear devotees, so long as there is thought there will be forgetfulness. This is the reason why Sri Bhagwan cautioned us that one should not get carried away by a thought whenever it arises. WE BECOME AWARE OF OUR BODY IN THE UNIVERSE FILLED WITH BODIES ONLY WHEN WE FORGET THE SELF. But being the Self, can we really forget It?
Sri Bhagwan has taught that the individual soul, which is the mind, is in reality the Pure Self. But forgetting this truth, it imagines itself to be an individual and gets bound in the shape of mind.  HENCE, THE SEARCH FOR THE SELF IS ON, WHICH IS ONESELF. WHAT TO DO?

Dear devotees, this notorious calamitous mental tendency to identify with the body and the mind is very ancient, and continuing for innumerable past births, it has grown strong. IT MUST GO. But the individual soul which has forgotten the Self will not become the Self through mere mediate knowledge.  Because of the impediments caused by the residual impressions gathered in previous births, we forget again and again our identity with the Self, and getting deceived, we identify ourselves with the body. WHAT PITY!

Sri Bhagwan : Will a person become a high officer by merely looking at him? Is it not by steady effort in that direction that he could  become a highly placed officer? Similarly, the individual soul, which is in bondage through mental identification with the body, etc., should put forth effort in the form of reflection on the Self, in a gradual and sustained manner, and when thus the mind gets destroyed, the individual soul would become the Self.

THEREFORE, THE PRICELESS QUESTION IS WHO DOES NOT REALISE AND WHAT DOES NOT REALISE?

Dear devotees, our forgetfulness of our Real Nature is known as the power of veiling. But Sri Bhagwan has revealed that this veil does not completely hide individual soul; it only hides the Self nature of ‘I’ and projects instead the ‘I am the body’ notion; BUT IT DOES NOT HIDE THE SELF-EXISTENCE WHICH IS ‘I’ AND WHICH IS REAL AND ETERNAL.

That is why attention to one’s own Self which is ever shining as ‘I’, the one undivided and pure Reality, IS THE ONLY RAFT WHICH THE INDIVIDUAL, WHO IS DELUDED BY THINKING ‘I AM THE BODY’, CAN CROSS THE OCEAN OF UNENDING BIRTHS.

What happens at the end of it all:

Says Sri Arjuna: Lord! My delusion is gone. I have regained True Knowledge through your Grace and It has re-established my memory and the right power of understanding as well.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil

Dear devotees, owing to some urgent official engagement in a far-away place from Patna, Bihar, which is at present my Head Quarter, I shall not be attending the Forum and participating in any discussion in any thread till at least 28th of this month. Thank you, Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2946 on: March 02, 2013, 03:06:52 PM »
Sri Bhagwan : YOUR PRESENT KNOWLEDGE IS DUE TO EGO AND ONLY RELATING. RELATIVE KNOWLEDGE REQUIRES A SUBJECT AND OBJECT.  WHEREAS THE AWARENESS OF THE SELF IS ABSOLUTE AND REQUIRES NO OBJECT. ………..  . EGO IS THE ‘I-THOUGHT’. In its subtle form it remains a thought, whereas in its gross aspect it embraces the mind, the senses and the body. 

Sri Bhagwan : The mind is only a bundle of thoughts. The thoughts have their root in the ‘I-thought’. WHOEVER INVESTIGATES THE ORIGIN OF THE ‘I-THOUGHT’, FOR HIM THE EGO PERISHES. This is the true investigation. 
Sri Bhagwan : This is to say, tracing the source of the ‘I-thought’, you realise the perfect ‘I-I’.  ‘I’ is the name of the Self.

Sri Bhagwan : This ‘I-thought’ is not pure. It is contaminated with the association of the body and senses. SEE TO WHOM THE TROUBLE IS. It is to the ‘I-thought’. Hold it. Then the other thoughts will vanish.

Sri Bhagwan : Get rid of the ‘I-thought’. SO LONG AS THE ‘I’ IS ALIVE, THERE IS GRIEF. WHEN ‘I’ CEASES TO EXIST, THERE IS NO GRIEF. Consider the state of sleep.

Sri Bhagwan:  ‘I-thought’ is the vijnanamaya kosa (intellectual sheath).

Sri Bhagwan : There is no time and space in your sleep. They are concepts which arise after the ‘I-thought’ has arisen. Before the rise of the ‘I-thought’ the concepts are absent.

Sri Bhagwan : WHOSE IS THIS ‘I-THOUGHT’ (THE EGO)?  THIS INVESTIGATION FORMS THE VICHARA.

Sri Bhagwan : The sadhak must remain as the Self. If he cannot do so he must ascertain the true meaning of ‘I’ and CONSTANTLY REVERT BACK TO IT WHENEVER OTHER THOUGHTS ARISE. THAT IS THE PRACTICE.

Dear Devotees,

Sri Bhagwan has taught us that the ‘I-thought’ is like a spirit which rises up simultaneously with the body, and flourishes and disappears with the body.  What is the body consciousness?  THE BODY CONSCIOUSNESS IS THE WRONG ‘I’.  GIVING UP THIS BODY CONSCIOUSNESS IS ALL THAT HAS TO BE DONE AND THAT IS DONE BY SEEKING THE SOURCE ‘I’. Therefore, search for the source of the ‘I-thought’ IS ALL THAT WE HAVE TO DO. The whole universe exists on account of the ‘I-thought’.  Sri Bhagwan says that if the ‘I-thought’ ends there is the end of misery too. AND FALSE ‘I-THOUGHT’ WILL END ONLY WHEN ITS SOURCE IS SOUGHT.  INTELLECT? INTELLECT IS IN PLACE FOR MEASURING VARIETIES. ARE WE HERE TO MEASURE FALSE VARIETIES? INTELLECT MUST REALISE ITS LIMITATION AND MERGE IN THE EGO AND THE SOURCE OF THE EGO MUST BE TRACED. WE MUST GET RID OF EGO AND ALL ITS RAMIFICATIONS AND CONNOTATIONS.  THAT IS THE ONLY RIGHT THING TO DO FOR THOSE WHO PURSUE SINCERELY AND EARNESTLY ENQUIRY AS TAUGHT BY SRI BHAGWAN. WE SHOULD NOT REMAIN IN DOUBT ENDLESSLY ABOUT SRI BHAGWAN’S TEACHING REGARDING INTELLECT, MIND AND EGO. They are not apart from the Self. Therefore, if their Source is traced, they at once take to flight and vanish. THIS IS THE TEACHING. ONUS LIES ON US WHETHER WE FOLLOW THE DIRECT PATH OR TAKE TO INTELLECTUALISING AND GET DIVERTED IN LANES AND BY-LANES.
Dear devotees, Sri Bhagwan has taught that the perception of ‘I’ is always associated with a form, that is, a body—gross or subtle. But there should be nothing associated with the Pure Self. The Self is unassociated Pure Reality, in whose light the body, ego, etc., shine. When we still all thoughts, Pure Consciousness remains over. THE GREAT CLUE IS THAT THERE CANNOT BE A BREAK IN OUR BEING.

DEAR DEVOTEES, IT IS INDEED WONDER OF WONDERS THAT WE ARE AWARE OF OUR OWN SELF ONLY, ONLY OUR OWN SELF!   But what pity that we take what is not as what IS, and we see the phenomena apart from the Self, that is, ONESELF—SWARUPA.
DEAR DEVOTEES, WE ARE OBSESSED WITH THE INTELLECTUAL KNOWLEDGE, INFERENTIAL KNOLEDGE, DEDUCTIVE KNOWLEDGE, ETC. ARE WE NOT? SRI BHAGWAN SAYS THAT ONLY SO LONG AS THERE IS THE KNOWER IS THERE KNOWLEDGE OF ALL KINDS—DIRECT, INFERENTIAL, INTELLECTUAL, ETC.  SHOULD THE KNOWER VANISH BY ENQUIRY THEY ALL VANISH TOGETHER WITH THE KNOWER. THEREFORE, THE VALIDITY OF ALL THESE KINDS OF KNOWLEDGE IS OF THE SAME DEGREE AS HIS. 
 Hence, it follows that ‘I’ concept is the ego. I-Illumination is the Realisation of the Real Self. It is ever shining forth as ‘I-I’ in the intellectual sheath. It is Pure Knowledge; relative knowledge is only a concept. TO REMAIN STILL OR TO REMAIN QUIET IS TO RESOLVE THE MIND IN THE SELF.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2947 on: March 03, 2013, 08:37:18 AM »
Devotee:
“To look at His face, so gripping, so incredibly gracious and so wise, yet with the innocence of a new-born child—He knows everything there is to know. Sometimes a vibration starts in the heart—Bhagwan—it is the core of my being taken shape, my own externalised heart—who am I?—AND THUS LOVE LEADS TO ENQUIRY.”

Dear Devotees,

Yes. Love alone leads to the Enquiry. I am certain whoever came to Enquiry first fell in love with Sri Bhagwan and that is sheer Grace in operation. I feel that once one is drawn by His Love and Grace, the experience of His ever increasing Graciousness binds His devotees more closely to Him and thus prepares their hearts for the Vichara through Love. Some say that Vichara leads through Knowledge to Love. However, for many it must have been other way round. Love for Him turns the mind inward to the Self He manifested. And this quest of the Self awakens unbounded, non-dual, divine Love for the Self now embodied as Sri Bhagwan.

So, It is Love for Him and surrender and submission to the Divine, SIDE BY SIDE WITH VICHARA, which ultimately culminates in Knowledge Which is of the Nature of Bliss That is Love. 

Dear devotees, it is because of my above understanding that I never cared a bit whether what I am pursuing is a path or not, and if it is one, whether it is the path of Knowledge or path of Love. For me, whichever way one approaches, it is Love, Love and Love……  . PATH IS LOVE. GOAL IS LOVE.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil   

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #2948 on: March 03, 2013, 10:17:42 AM »
Dear Sri Anil,

So beautiful post! I am deeply thouched with it,and feel just the same. So true,Love is what makes us pursue the path of selfenquiry,unbreakable,sweet Love for Bhagavan,for Arunachala. For our Father,our Sadguru,our everything indeed. And how not to love our dear Bhagavan,when He is absolutely irresistible,so sweet,so kind,so Beautiful. Every gesture of Him is so gentle,so friendly and fatherly,so protective. And that Beautiful,Beautiful gentle look of Grace and Goodness,look of Love. He indeed doasnt need any words,His look,that all penetrating Silence is speaking the language of our hearts.

You said it so beautifuly,Love is all. And the quote You have chosen is wonderful!

Thank You Very much,dear Sri Anil!

With love and prayers,

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #2949 on: March 03, 2013, 10:41:05 AM »

O my Divine Love! People run to the forests and mountain caves for solitude to practice meditation, but You drew me to meditate on You, without effort, everywhere.

People renounce their possessions, mortify their flesh and do hard penance to achieve self-control. But without the least deprivation, denial or suffering, You control me.

People seek a Master and serve him, longing for initiation into the spiritual mystery. But You, my Master-Mistress, seek and serve me in order to reveal Yourself fully to me.

I know not what other people call love. My love is only to serve and suffer and die for You.

I know not what other people term devotion. My devotion is only to bind my eyes to Your blessed feet and follow them always.

I know not what other people name heaven and hell. My heaven is only in Your smile, and my hell is only in Your tear.

I know not what other people call life and death. My life is only in Your presence, and my death is only in Your disappearance.

I know not what other people mean by war and peace. My war is only to fight against the obstacles in my way to You, and my peace is only to reach You and fall at Your Feet in one everlasting prostration.

Indeed, I know nothing. I only know that you are everything to me.

~ G. V. Subbaramayya, The Power of the Presence, Part Three
, by David Godman

« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 10:48:33 AM by Jewell »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2950 on: March 03, 2013, 01:42:12 PM »
Quote from Sri Jewell:
“And that Beautiful, Beautiful gentle look of Grace and Goodness, look of Love. He indeed doasnt need any words, His look, that all penetrating Silence is speaking the language of our hearts.

You said it so beautifully, Love is all.”

Dear Sri Jewell,

Ah! This is a very beautiful response to what I posted. Thank you so much, dear friend. Let us now savour and meditate on the Eternally Young, Great Romantic Poet, Sri John Keats’s profound religion: 

“I have been astonished that men could die martyrs
for their religion--
I have shuddered at it,
I shudder no more.
I could be martyred for my religion.
Love is my religion
and I could die for that.
I could die for you.”
Sri John Keats

Dear friend, Sri Bhagwan is the Guru of all those who came and sought for His Love and Grace, irrespective of which religion they represented. Thus came Hindus, Buddhists, Christians, Muslims, Jews, et al. And He never enjoined any change in their religion.  It follows therefore from this that love for and devotion to the Guru paves the way for the flow of His Grace which leads to the deeper understanding of every religion. Those who came to Sri Bhagwan and surrendered to His Lotus Feet were invariably led to deeper reality of their own religion and when they took up finally Vichara, they were led to the Self or the Atma-Swarupa, which is ultimately the Truth behind all religion.   

Dear friend, Sri G. V. Subbarmayya’s poem which you have posted is a deeply moving and inspiring poem. It was not for nothing that he was termed by some as the High Priest of Sri Bhagwan’s Divine Court.
Yes, indeed. I would also like to sing:
“Indeed, I know nothing. I only know that you are everything to me.”(Sri Subbarmayya)

Thanks once again, dear friend.
Pranam,
 Anil

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #2951 on: March 03, 2013, 06:32:40 PM »
Dear Sri Anil,

So wonderful poem from Sri Keats!

Indeed,Bhagavan always accepted all,no matter of their backround,religion,or gender. He didnt forced anything on anyone,He was always full of understanding and Compassion,and treated all with respect and patience. It is wonderful how He was completely available to all till the moment of His Mahasamadi. Such a kindness and unselfishness. He is indeed embodyment of Love and Bliss.
We are so lucky to know Him.

Thank You so much,dear friend!

With love and prayers,

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2952 on: March 05, 2013, 04:29:52 PM »
                                Journey Home

The time that my journey takes is long and the way of it long.

I came out on the chariot of the first gleam of light, and pursued my
voyage through the wildernesses of worlds leaving my track on many a star and planet.

It is the most distant course that comes nearest to thyself,
and that training is the most intricate which leads to the utter simplicity of a tune.

The traveller has to knock at every alien door to come to his own,
and one has to wander through all the outer worlds to reach the innermost shrine at the end.

My eyes strayed far and wide before I shut them and said `Here art thou!'

The question and the cry `Oh, where?' melt into tears of a thousand
streams and deluge the world with the flood of the assurance `I am!'

Sri Rabindranath Tagore

Maharshi Sri Aurbindo, as quoted by Sri Ravi in the other thread:

"the poignant sweetness, passion and spiritual depth and mystery of a poem like this, the haunting cadences subtle with a subtlety which is not of technique but of the soul, and the honey-laden felicity of the expression, these are the essential Rabindranath and cannot be imitated because they are things of the spirit and one must have the same sweetness and depth of soul before one can hope to catch any of these desirable qualities."

Anil

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #2953 on: March 05, 2013, 09:45:25 PM »

*Old and New*

Thou hast made me known to friends whom I knew not.
Thou hast given me seats in homes not my own.
Thou hast brought the distant near and made a brother of the stranger.
I am uneasy at heart when I have to leave my accustomed shelter;
I forget that there abides the old in the new,
and that there also thou abidest.
Through birth and death, in this world or in others,
wherever thou leadest me it is thou, the same,
the one companion of my endless life
who ever linkest my heart with bonds of joy to the unfamiliar.
When one knows thee, then alien there is none, then no door is shut.
Oh, grant me my prayer that I may never lose
the bliss of the touch of the one
in the play of many.

Rabindranath Tagore

cefnbrithdir

• View Profile
« Reply #2954 on: March 06, 2013, 01:01:41 PM »

Dear Anil

I know this does not naturally  follow on from where the thread is at present, but I wanted to share with you something that has come home strongly to me in the last week.

The Hebrew (Judeo- Christian) story of the coming of sin and illusion is told in the third chapter of the Bible (Genesis 3).

Unfortunately this is seen as an act of disobedience. But the talking snake would never have convinced Eve that God was witholding anything from them  unless (in their minds) she and Adam already felt separate from him.

But nevertheless it is a good story.

The terrible irony of course  is that "the knowledge of good and evil" which they gained through eating the apple, a knowledge  which apparently was being withheld from them  by God,  is unreal.  It is not a true knowledge but a duality only existing in a world /consciousness separate from God.

The first thing that happened is that "the eyes of them were opened and they knew that they were naked". They had developed a false/deluded/limiting body consciousness. They sewed fig leaves together -  aware and ashamed of their incompleteness and differentiation.

It is what happened next that has really come through to me.

They hear the voice/presence of God walking in the garden  and hide themselves.

Genesis 3 v 9  " And the Lord God called unto Adam and said unto him "Where art thou ?"
              v 10   And he (Adam)  said  "I heard they voice in the garden and I was afraid because I was naked and I hid myself."     
               v 11 And he (God)  said "Who told thee that thou was't naked ?.."

Amazing that the first words from God to man after things go wrong are questions. The first relates to the ever presence of Grace. And the second "Who told thee that thou was't naked ? " is surely Vichara/Self Inquiry !   The answer to the question can only be "I did" to be followed by  "Who am I ?".

As it turned out  Adam tried to justify himself and blamed Eve - but that is another story.