Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 756844 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #2745 on: December 29, 2012, 07:55:44 AM »
Quote from Sri Beloved Abstract:
“so many beliefs ... so little time”

Sri Beloved Abstract’s belief:
“simply stop telling the story of the self and see who you are without it”

Quote from Sri Beloved Abstract from the thread  ‘What is this ego?’:
“ego is simply the BELIEF that you are a separate person ... the BELIEF that you ARE the story of the self the mind tells .
there is a possibility through self investigation to see that it is only a story and then there is a real choice to tell the story or not .
when you see that who you think you are is only a thought , the ego ( belief in the story ) simply stops .”

Sri cefnbrithdir’s response to Sri Beloved Abstract in the other thread:

"You have prompted me to add that the opposite of "I am separate from God" is not " I am not separate from God". With that you are still left with an objectifying "I". "I am" is another matter.”

Dear Sri Beloved Abstract,

I wish to say an emphatic ‘no’ to the casual manner in which you seem to respond.  All the same, thanks very much for the opportunity you have given me to be face to face with you.

No, my dear Sri Beloved Abstract, they are not mere beliefs, but it is THE POSITIVE BELIEF, source of which is the Inner Faith. THIS POSITIVE BELIEF IS A VERITY OF A CREDIBLE NATURE, SPRINGING FORTH AFTER DUE ENQUIRY AND INVESTIGATION UNLIKE THE EVER CHANGING MERE BELIEFS. THIS BELIEF IS THE OPERATIVE FORCE ENTHUSING ONE TO PUT THE CONTENT OF ONE’S FAITH TO PRACTICE AND ENDEVOUR TOWAEDS THE REALISATION OF THE IDEAL IT REPRESENTS. Ardour and sincerity are the very STUFF of such belief, originating from the Faith. When one is overwhelmed by such Belief, one is not obsessed with time any longer.

The story of the tenacious ‘ego’ will not go away by simply wishing it away, for it is telling this story from time immemorial.  Isn’t it? THIS TENACIOUS EGO AND THE RASCAL, AS SRI RAMAKRISHNA TERMED IT, NEEDS DILIGENT SELF-INVESTIGATION AND REACH ITS SOURCE TO SEE THAT IT (THE EGO) IS A MERE STORY AS YOU SAID.  But you also said, “there is a real choice to tell the story or not.When you see that who you think you are is only a thought , the ego ( belief in the story )  simply stops .”

On the contrary, when the ego does that, it will not have any choice—REAL OR URUNREAL, for THEN IT IS SURE TO burn away in the BLAZING LIGHT OF THE KNOWLEDGE. SRI BHAGWAN TAUGHT ‘THAT ALONE IS TAPAS’. IS IT NOT? Then there is no longer the objectifying ‘I’ to tell the story, and one remains as BE-ING, THAT IS ‘I AM’, which is a different matter as Sri cefnbrithdir told you.
However, the story would go on till it happens. Till then this rascal will continue TO LIVE ON FORMS, JUMPING FROM THIS FORM TO THAT FORM, EVER CHANGING ITS FORMS, FLITTING AND EVER SEEKING TO ESCAPE BY RESORTING TO SBTLER FORMS WHEN SUBJECTED TO SEARCH LIGHT AND WHEN QUESTIONED, TO PERPETUATE ITS SURVIVAL AND ESCAPE CERTAIN DEATH.IT IS LIKE THE MONKEY, WHICH KEEPS ON JUMPING FROM THIS BRACH TO THAT BRANCH OF A TREE, AND FROM THIS TREE TO THAT TREE IN A FOREST.

Pranam,
  Anil

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
« Reply #2746 on: December 29, 2012, 08:54:25 AM »
The story of the tenacious ‘ego’ will not go away by simply wishing it away, for it is telling this story from time immemorial.

So nicely put. Yes. It is the story which is as old as Maya, which is as old as before and beyond time.

A different topic - THese days whenever I try to do self enquiry all I am able to think of is Sri Bhagawan's face. However much I struggle, I am just unable to go beyond bhagawan's face. Not sure whether I should just leave this to Bhagawan or consider it a hurdle to self enquiry.

Sanjay
Salutations to Bhagawan

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2747 on: December 29, 2012, 02:52:38 PM »
Quote from Sri Sanjay:
“THese days whenever I try to do self enquiry all I am able to think of is Sri Bhagawan's face. However much I struggle, I am just unable to go beyond bhagawan's face. Not sure whether I should just leave this to Bhagawan or consider it a hurdle to self enquiry.”

Dear Sri Sanjay,

Ah! My heart was filled with joy to read your above quoted lines. This is sure sign and the forerunner of manifestation of His Grace. There is no doubt about that.

This is no cause for concern. Sri Annamalai Swami says in His ‘Living bythe Words of Bhagwan’ that one must keep one’s attention on the Self to make progress on the spiritual path. But since Sri Bhagwan is also the Self, one can make progress by thinking of Him. It is good to feel love and devotion towards Him. THE MORE WE LOVE HIM, THE MORE HIS GRACE flows to us in return.
Sri Annamalai Swami: When I used to look at Sri Bhagwan’s Picture He seemed to be saying to me, ’I went beyond this body and established Myself as consciousness. Now you try and do the same.’
Sri Swami further says that Sri Bhagwan is the Self. If you concentrate on His Image He will call you towards Him. HE WILL PULL YOU TOWARDS THE REAL SELF. Therefore, having love for Sri Bhagwan and having love for one’s Self are the same. If we have love and devotion for the Form of Sri Bhagwan and surrender to Him, He will certainly take us to the Reality. Sri Swami even says that the Self being Consciousness, it cannot be perceived objectively, but by having Darshan of Sri Bhagwan’s Form, we can keep attention on the Self indirectly.

However, we must remember that the Consciousness within us and Sri Bhagwan’s Form are One and the Same. So, although Sri Bhagwan’s Face can never be a hurdle, we must also seek to learn to contact the Consciousness within by the Self-enquiry. I am certain that His Grace will guide you from within. We only have to be sincere and earnest in our effort and the rest is sure to be taken care of by His Grace.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil

Beloved Abstract

• View Profile
    • David Ford Art
« Reply #2748 on: December 29, 2012, 04:36:30 PM »

suffering is very complicated and REQUIRES much practice .. truth is simple and CANNOT be practiced
you mistake simplicity for casualness .
you want the prize at the end of the rainbow so you search .
there is no prize to get
truth is here now for those willing to stop searching
you are already truth and have only to stop believing you are not
 :)

simply stop telling the story of the self and see who you are without it

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2749 on: December 29, 2012, 06:07:55 PM »
Quote:   

“truth is here now”

Where is here now? Truth is. Nay!
 IS. BE-ING

Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2750 on: December 29, 2012, 06:10:35 PM »

BE-ING

Beloved Abstract

• View Profile
    • David Ford Art
« Reply #2751 on: December 29, 2012, 06:53:44 PM »
i am so happy that you are thinking about this
i will be just as happy when you stop

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #2752 on: December 29, 2012, 07:02:44 PM »
i am so happy that you are thinking about this
i will be just as happy when you stop

Beloved Abstract,

What has to stop, when nothing has been started? such expectations have to be traced back to 'I' and thereafter its source.

Being [i humbly feel] is effortless. Neither stopping nor starting or even acknowledging.

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Beloved Abstract

• View Profile
    • David Ford Art
« Reply #2753 on: December 29, 2012, 07:06:42 PM »
you think so ?
 ;)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2754 on: December 29, 2012, 07:10:51 PM »
Quote:
“i am so happy that you are thinking about this
i will be just as happy when you stop”

‘I’ IS STILL TELLING THE STORY.
THEREFORE, IT IS OTHER WAY ROUND, FOR ONE AND ONE’S STORY HAS MERGED IN THE BE-ING NEED CERTAINLY STOP.

Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2755 on: December 29, 2012, 07:19:40 PM »
Some of the devotees started discussing about ‘bhakti’ and ‘jnana’. One devotee said ‘bhakti’ was the harbinger of ‘jnana’. Another quoted some of the verses selected by Sri Bhagwan and Sri AdiSankara’s ‘Sivananda Lahari’ and cited it as indicative of ‘para bhakti’ or the highest form of devotion. Sri Bhagwan nodded His approval. In the mean time, Sri Muruganar joined the discussion AND COMPARED ‘DEVOTION TO A BUD AND ‘KNOWLEDGE’ TO A FLOWER IN FULL BLOOM.  All this made me wonder at the vast galaxy of saint devotees like Sri Ganapati Muni, Sri Muruganar, Sri Viswanatha Swami, Sri Mungala, Sri Lakshmana Sarma and the like. Was it not their purpose to be channels for spreading Sri Bhagwan’s message?
Source: More Talks With Sri Ramana Maharshi. 

Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2756 on: December 29, 2012, 07:28:27 PM »
Dear Anil,

Jnana and Bhakti are the two sides of the same coin.  A bhakta starts with his ego intact and when it becomes, para-bhakti and
surrender, his ego is lost. In Jnana, the ego is jettisoned first and the mind becomes curled up in the Self.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2757 on: December 30, 2012, 08:57:20 AM »
Quote fro Sri Subramanian Sir:
“Jnana and Bhakti are the two sides of the same coin. A bhakta starts with his ego intact and when it becomes, para-bhakti and
surrender, his ego is lost. In Jnana, the ego is jettisoned first and the mind becomes curled up in the Self.”

Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

Therefore, Para-bhakti and Jnana are One and the Same. Sri Muruganar compared devotion to a bud and Knowledge to a flower in full bloom. So, in Bhakti, a bhakta starts with ego, but when his bhakti culminates in Para-bhakti, ego is surrendered and done away with for once and all, and that is Jnana. So, and in both there is no place for ‘ahamkara’ or the ego. Hence, it is obvious that so long as there is the ego, it is the bud only. But when the bhakti reaches it ‘parakashtha’, its culmination, that is, when the bud becomes a flower in full bloom, it is Para-bhakti which is the same as Jnana or Knowledge. A seeker, following the Jnana marga, has the existential doubts and questions its reality, as Sri Bhagwan taught to raise the question “Who am I?” from the very beginning; and thus the seeker reaches the Heart, the Core of Reality, and discovers that his Real Self and Brahman are One and the Same.

In both, as in bhakti there is love and yearning for God, in Jnana there is love for the Truth and yearning for discovering It. However, having said this, I wish to add that in Janana, there is the danger of the ego taking in its head, without jettisoning itself, that it is Jana itself, it (the ego) itself is the Truth, the Real Self, the Brahman Himself, and starts behaving strangely, preaching others, etc. Therefore, in Jnana, without love and yearning for the Truth, and without reaching his Source, the Heart, the Self, and only after getting exposed to the Highest Truth intellectually, without ripening and keeping the ego intact, we find that sometimes the ego is inflated INFINITELY, and even STARTS POISING AS IF HE IS THE TRUTH HIMSELF, AND EVERYTHING IS MITHYA, A STORY AND THAT I AM THE TRUTH AND NOTHING ELSE.  But if he (the ego) has not reached his Source, and got burnt there without trace, he is mere ego, a vritti, poising himself as the real Self to world at large. Recognising it as such, we must be wary of this and guard ourselves against this strange phenomenon and call a spade a spade, for herein lies the risk to get trapped by pseudo so called jnanis who now-a days are growing like mushrooms.

CONCLUSION: THE PERNICIOUS EGO MUST BE ROOTED OUT FIRST—LOCK, STOCK AND BARREL; EHITHER BY COMPLETE SAURRENDER OR BY SEEKING AND REACHING THE HEART. THEN DIVINE ALONE WILL DECIDE THE PURPOSE— WHETHER SUCH A ONE IS TO TEACH OR REMAIN SUMMA.   

Thanks very much, sir. 
Pranam,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2758 on: December 30, 2012, 09:48:45 AM »
                                             Arunachala Siva! Arunachala Siva!
                                                 Arunachala Siva! Arunachala!
                                             Arunachala Siva! Arunachala Siva!
                                                 Arunachala Siva! Arunachala!

Thos dost root out the ego of those who meditate on Thee in the Heart, Oh Arunachala!

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2759 on: December 30, 2012, 04:35:37 PM »
Dear Devotees,,

Sri Bhagwan says that so long as duality lasts the enquiry must be continued, i.e., until the individuality disappears and the Self is realised to be only the eternal Be-ing. (including enquiry and enquirer)
Self is constant and unintermittent  Awareness. The object of enquiry is to find the true nature of the Self as Awareness. Let one practice enquiry so long as separateness is perceived, SO LONG AS TRUE ’I’ IS NOT APPARENT AND THE FALSE ‘I’ IS PARADING ITSELF.  One may say anything what one may, BUT THERE IS NO MISTAKING SRI BHAGWAN SAY’S TEACHING: THAT THIS FALSE ‘I’ WILL END ONLY WHEN TTS SOURCE IS SOUGHT AND REACHED, and not otherwise. This must be clear to one and all.
If once realisation arises there is no further need for enquiry. The question itself will also not arise. CAN AWARENESS EVER THINK OF QUESTIONING WHO IS AWARE? AWARENESS REMAINS PURE AND SIMPLE.
Sri Bhagwan:  The enquirer is aware of his own individuality. Enquiry does not stand in the way of his individual awareness; nor does external work interfere with such awareness. If work, seemingly external, does not obstruct the individual awareness, will work, realised to be not separate from the Self, obstruct the uninterrupted Awareness of the Self, which is One without second and which is not an individual separate from the work?

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil