Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 757789 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #2715 on: December 23, 2012, 10:53:35 AM »
Dear Devotees,

The traditional method of ‘Jnana vicharanam’ as described in scriptures, and as I have understood, may be described as follows:

A seeker learns the truth of the Self from the Upanishads. The philosophical enquiry commences. The Self is shown to be ‘not this’ and ‘not that’ and so on and at each step some one thing that has been taken to be the Self is discarded. Thus, the gross body, prana, mind and the ego are rejected. Our present three states of being, that is, waking, sleep, and dream and the self that is experienced in these states are shown not to be the Real Self in its Natural Greatness and Splendid Glory. What remains over after all these are rejected, the seeker is made to understand, is the Real Self, as well as the Supreme Brahman. One learns that THAT is the cause and sustenance of the all the worlds, as it were. One further learns that the Supreme Self or the Brahman is really unrelated Absolute which is formless, nameless, timeless, spaceless, alone without a second, unchanging and unchangeable,  and perfect. The Absolute alone is the Source of all happiness which filters down into this world and is the cause of all the enjoyments in it.

The next stage for the aspirant is to reflect on this teaching, on the identity of the Real Self and Brahman as described. In this philosophical enquiry thus set up, the aspirant has only the authority and evidence of the sacred Scriptures for the truth of the Self or the Brahman which is beyond senses and the intellect. The Scriptures are certainly authoritative because it embodies the testimony of the Sages who found the Great Truth. Further the aspirant is asked to employ logic, not for discrediting the testimony of the Sages, but for accepting it, for logic on its own can be dry and barren and therefore can be really employed either way according to the predilections of its user. By reflecting and contemplating thus, he arrives at the conclusion that the above teaching, after all, is correct. He arrives at the conclusion that indeed the Supreme Brahman is his own innermost Real Self.
He is to repeat the above process until he is finally and firmly convinced as expressed in the Mahavakyas , “I AM THAT”.
The final stage of the traditional method is to meditate by fixing his mind on the thought ‘I AM THAT’, TO THE EXCLUSION OF ALL OTHER THOUGHTS, UNTIL HE ATTAINS PERFECT CONCENTRATION ON THAT THOUGHT ALONE,  AND UNTIL HIS MIND GAINS THE STEADY CURRENT OF MEDITATION ON THAT THOUGHT ALONE. 

Dear devotees, if that happens, the aspirant is taught that THE SELF REVEALS ITSELF.

As discussed so many times earlier, Sri Bhagwan says that this traditional method has its use and is good one for purifying and strengthening the mind. By this meditation mind becomes a fit instrument for the Real Enquiry.

Says Sri Bhagwan:
“The Direct Method of winning the Real Self is diving into the Heart, seeking the Source of the ‘I am’; the meditation, ‘I am not this, I am That’, is of course helpful; BUT IT IS NOT ITSELF THE METHOD OF FINDING THE SELF.”

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil             

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2716 on: December 23, 2012, 01:49:16 PM »
Dear Devotees,

I never studied the Sacred Vedanta systematically and therefore the source of what I posted in my previous post has been mainly Sri Bhagwan’s and His great devotees’ works themselves.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
 Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2717 on: December 23, 2012, 01:51:07 PM »
Dear anil,

Sri Bhagavan Himself has stated the self inquiry contains antra-sravanam, antra-mananam and antra-nidhidhyasanam.

Arunachala Siva. 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2718 on: December 24, 2012, 07:51:46 AM »
Quote:
“Sri Bhagavan Himself has stated the self inquiry contains antra-sravanam, antra-mananam and antra-nidhidhyasanam.”

Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

Sri Bhagwan says emphatically that the declaration in the Vedas ‘I am This or That’ is only an aid to gain equanimity of mind. When the Reality is thus mentioned, says Sri Bhagwan, why should one continue to meditate Sivoham or Aham Brahmasmi? THE SIGNIFICANCE MUST BE TRACED AND UNDERSTOOD.  IT IS NOT ENOUGH TO REPEAT THE BARE WORDS OR THINK OF THEM. Ji. Yes. Self-enquiry is verily antra-sravana, antra-manana  and antra-nidhidhyasana.

Thanks very much, sir.
Pranam,
  Anil   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2719 on: December 24, 2012, 10:11:36 AM »
Dear Devotees,

The sacred Vedas declare our indentify by ‘I am That’. Sri Bhagwan taught that the significance must be traced and understood. Where significance must be traced and understood? Sri Bhagwan again taught that our Reality abides within the five koshas, sheaths.

Sri Bhawan:  Annamaya kosa is the gross body sheath. The senses with the prana and the karmendriyas form the pranamaya kosa (sense-sheath). The senses with the mind form the manomaya kosa    (mind sheath). They are the jnannedriyas. The mind is formed of thoughts. Idam (this) is the object and aham (‘I’) is the subject; the two form the vijnanamaya kosa. (Talk—277)

Dear devotees, Sri Bhagwan taught that to be in one’s natural state on the subsidence of thoughts is bliss. However, if that bliss be transient—arising and setting—then it is only the sheath of bliss known as Anandamaya kosa, AND NOT THE BLISS OF THE PURE SELF.

Therefore, our Reality abides within the above five sheaths, and not outside.

Problem is this that we are aware of ourselves only when modifications arise in the intellect (vijnanamaya kosa). But we must come to recognise that these modifications are transient, for they rise and set. That is why intellect is called a sheath, a kosa. When pure awareness is left over, intellect is itself the Chit (Self) or the Supreme.   

Few word about anandamaya kosa:
Pleasures are priya, moda and pra-moda. When a desired object is near at hand there arises priya: when it is taken possession of moda arises and when it is being enjoyed pra-moda prevails.
But what is the reason for the pleasureableness in these states?
The reason for the pleasureableness of these sates is that ONE THOUGHT EXCLUDES ALL OTHERS, AND THE THIS SINGLE THOUGHT ALOS MERGES IN THE SELF. These states are enjoyed in the Anandamaya kosa only.

Sri Bhawan says that as a rule Vijnanamaya kosa prevails on waking. In deep sleep all thoughts disappear and the states of obscuration is one of bliss. THERE THE PREVAILING BODY IS THE ANANDAMAYA.
However, these are the sheaths and not the CORE WHICH IS INTERIOR TO ALL THESE. It lies beyond waking, dream and even deep sleep. THAT IS THE REALITY WHICH ALONE CONSISTS OF TRUE BLISS, THAT IS NIJANANDA OR THE PERENNIAL BLISS.

Therefore, dear devotees, wisdom lies in fixing our attention on the PURE (‘I’) after the subsidence of all thoughts and not to lose hold of it. THAT ALONE IS THE SOURCE OF NIJANANDA.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2720 on: December 24, 2012, 01:28:02 PM »
Lord Sri Krishna teaches thus:

Absence of pride, freedom from hypocrisy, non-violence, forbearance, straightness of body, speech, and mind, devout service of preceptor, internal and external purity, steadfastness of mind and control of body, mind and senses; dispassion towards the objects of enjoyment of this world and the next, and also absence of egotism, pondering again and again on the pain and evils inherent in birth, death, old age and disease; absence of attachment and the sense of oneness in respect of son, wife, home, etc., and constant equipoise of mind both in favourable and unfavourable circumstances; unflinching devotion to Me through exclusive attachment, living in holy places, and finding no delight in the company of worldly people; constancy in Self-Knowledge and seeing God as the object of True Knowledge, --ALL THIS IS DECLARED AS KNOWLEDGE, AND WHAT IS OTHER THAN THIS IS CALLED IGNORANCE.
Ch. 13, V. 7,8,9,10,11; Srimad Bhagavad Gita

Anil   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2721 on: December 24, 2012, 01:53:12 PM »
Sadhu Sri Natananada:

The mind is always operating through the senses. The vasanas, continually moving towards sense objects, make the mind resemble a lamp flickering in the wind. If it is desireless, the same mind will become motionless, like a lamp in still air. Living with the Guru is the best means for accomplishing this. However, living with the Guru is not, AS SOME PEOPLE THINK, THE ASSOCIATION OF ONE BODY WITH ANOTHER. The Sadguru is God in human form, but if the aspirant regards the Guru as being a form, in the same way that he takes himself to be a body, his own I-am-the body idea will not cease. So long as this root problem does not cease, the devotee’s real nature will not manifest, bondage will not end, and liberation will not be obtained. THE ASPIRANT SHOULD THEREFORE PRACTICE WORSHIPPING THE SADGURU AS THE UNCONDITIONAL SUPREME BRAHMAN.  Through this practice he will in due course realise that his real nature is not different from the true nature of the Sadguru. This realisation will remove the I-am-ther-body idea and devotee will attain jivanmukti

Sri Ramana Darsanam

Anil         

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2722 on: December 24, 2012, 02:37:47 PM »
Dear Devotees,

Enquiring ‘Who am I?’, going deeper, transcending the body (Annamaya Kosa), going deeper and deeper and transcending vital functions and mind (manomaya kosa and pranamaya kosa respectively), still further going deeper and transcending the individuality or the ego ( vijnanamaya kosa) intellect which is the sheath of ‘I’ ,and not the ‘I’ itself, four sheaths or kosas are transcended.

However, the Ananadamaya Kosa, sheath of bliss remains to be transcended.

Sri Bhagwan : Who am I now, in the wakeful state? If I originated from sleep, then ‘I’ was covered up with ignorance. SUCH AN IGNORANT ‘I’ CANNOT BE WHAT THE SCRIPTURES SAY OR THE WISE ONE AFFIRM. ‘I’ AM BEYOND EVEN ‘SLEEP’; ‘I’  MUST BE NOW AND HERE AND WHAT I WAS ALL ALONG IN SLEEP AND DREAMS ALSO. WITHOUT THE UNQUALIFIED SUBSTRATUM UNDERLYING THESE STATES.
Dear devotees, this is how Sri Bhagwan taught to transcend the Anandaamaya kosa. This is transcending the sheath of bliss.

Sri Bhagwan: ‘I’ is, in brief, beyond the five sheaths. Next, the residuum left over after discarding all that is not-Self is the Self, SAT-CHIT-ANANDA.     

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
 Anil

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
« Reply #2723 on: December 24, 2012, 02:49:18 PM »
The word SAT-CHIT-ANANDA contains everything that scriptures try to convey.

SAT - Existence
CHIT  - Consciousness
ANANADA - Bliss.

If only one can abide in pure existence consciousness (SAT-CHIT)... unaware of nothing but pure existence consciousness...

Sanjay
Salutations to Bhagawan

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2724 on: December 25, 2012, 12:52:29 AM »
SRI RAMANA SATGURU

19. The ocean of goodness beyond all characteristics,
The righteous one in the eyes of the wise.
He is the syrup of sweetness. His form is the unity of the individual
And the Supreme Self, Ramana Sat-Guru!

20. For devotees bowing down in devotion,
He grants the Knowledge that reveals the shore of Liberation;
The one who hoists the flag announcing it
Is Ramana Sat-Guru!

21. Destroy the spectre of my mind
Struggling in the open jaws of the senses with their evil ways.
Make me your own,
Ramana Sat-Guru!

22. With the sword of pure knowledge
Strike down the cruel demon of ignorance,
Now ruling as ego in the body,
O Self-effulgent Gem! Ramana Sat-Guru!

23. Sri Ramana, the delight of the Solar Race,
Illustrious Brahma on the lotus, Siva with His deer and spear,
Kumaradeva of great tapas,
All these are our Ramana Sat-Guru!

24. Praise to you, blessed Being within the sanctuary of my heart!
Praised be your Face! Praised be your Heart!
Praised be your Feet,
Lord Ramana Sat-Guru!

25. Please place your feet on the head of Venkataramayyar,
Who stands praying fervently before you,
Singing your praises which taste nectar-sweet to his tongue,
Ramana Sat-Guru!

Ramana Sat-Guru, Ramana Sat-Guru,
Ramana Sat-Guru, my Lord!

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2725 on: December 25, 2012, 09:10:11 AM »
20. For devotees bowing down in devotion,
He grants the Knowledge that reveals the shore of Liberation;
The one who hoists the flag announcing it
Is Ramana Sat-Guru!

21. Destroy the spectre of my mind
Struggling in the open jaws of the senses with their evil ways.
Make me your own,
Ramana Sat-Guru!

22. With the sword of pure knowledge
Strike down the cruel demon of ignorance,
Now ruling as ego in the body,
O Self-effulgent Gem! Ramana Sat-Guru!

Dear Sri Jewell,

AH! THANK YOU.

IN THE INNERMOST RECESS OF OUR HEARTS ABIDES BOUNDLESS OCEAN OF PURE LOVE AND GRACE WHICH IS SAME AS OUR OWN SELF OR GOD OR SRI ARUNACHALA OR SRI RAMANA OR SRI CHRIST OT SRI KRISHNA !
THEREFORE, KINGDOM OF LOVE IS WITHIN. WHEN FLICKERING MIND IS STILL, LOVE AND GRACE SURGE FORTH SUBMERGING ALL THEORIES AND CONCEPTS, ERASING ALL SORROW AND AGONY,AND WHAT REMAINS IS LOVE NECTARINE ! 

MAY SRI JESUS RAMANA MAKE OUR MIND STILL AND WE MAY COME TO KNOW THAT WE ARE ONLY LOVE, LOVE, LOVE…….  AND THERE IS NO ‘I’, ‘YOU’, ‘WE’,’THIS’, BUT ONLY ‘THAT’—BOUNDLESS OCEAN OF PURE LOVE.

HAPPY CHRISTMAS MY VERY, VERY DEAR FRIEND SRI JEWELL ! HAPPY CHRISTMAS TO ONE AND ALL!

PRANAM,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2726 on: December 25, 2012, 09:11:56 AM »
Quote from Sri Sanjay:
“The word SAT-CHIT-ANANDA contains everything that scriptures try to convey.

SAT - Existence
CHIT - Consciousness
ANANADA - Bliss.

If only one can abide in pure existence consciousness (SAT-CHIT)... unaware of nothing but pure existence consciousness...”

Dear Sri Sanjay,

Yes, indeed, certainly. ONLY IF our minds flickering with desires, by His Grace through ENQUIRY-SURRENDER, become desireless and are motionless, like a lamp in still air, we can abide in our ATMA-SWARUPA, WHICH IS VERILY SAT-CHIT-ANADA. That alone is truly erasing or transcending the five sheaths. Till then, effort and striving are sine-qua-non, foor then only Grace will be vouchsafed.   

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
 Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2727 on: December 26, 2012, 07:14:39 AM »

Dear Devotees,

Sri N.N. Rajan has recorded following anecdote in his book ‘More Talks With Sri Ramana Maharshi’ which portrays the metamorphosing Power of Sri Bhagwan’s Silence thus:

A visitor came in and sat down with an air of obvious superiority. He did not even show the normal courtesy to Sri Bhagwan. His very posture was revolting to the senses. Perhaps he wanted to ask something but he hesitated and kept quiet. But he kept turning his glance continuously to Sri Bhagwan. Due to his strange ways our eyes were turned towards him. After about half an hour it appeared from his face that some internal changes were taking place within him. Slowly calmness was creeping in wholly against his nature. It increased and after an hour and half he got up and said, “Maharshi, I must frankly admit that the purpose of my visit was not a desirable one. I am sorry. I know nothing about spiritual matters and yet I had the temerity of wanting to test you by putting forth some puerile arguments. After being in your exalted Presence, even after a little while, a change took place. Kindly pardon me. I will come again.” He then left the hall. He tol,d us outside the hall, “ I have never enjoyed such profound peace and calmness anywhere else in my life. I CAME WITH WRONG IDEAS BUT THEREE WAS SUCH A SWIFT CHANGE.  I hope this would be a turn for better for me and that I would be able to visit again”. Repentance and the complete change in his outlook were obvious.

Sri Rajan, one of Sri Bhagwan’s great devotees who moved closely with Sri Bhagwan has noted:

There must have been many others in whom Sri Bhagwan had wrought such a magical change. The mere Presence of Sri Bhagwan effects the change. Who can fathom the mysterious Power of Sri Bhagwan? A MERE NOD OF THE HHEAD OR A GENTLE SMILE WOULD BRING ABOUT A TOATAL CHANGE IN ONE’S MENTAL ATTITUDE.

Dear devotees, I feel that since Sri Bhagwan’s physical body is no more TO DISTRACT, and He is the Self now, THE POTENCY OF THAT SILENCE HAS ONLY ENHANCED. If one sits in the Samadhi Hall in Tiruvannamalai, one can understand, feel and experience it for himself.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil 

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
« Reply #2728 on: December 26, 2012, 07:42:40 AM »
Thanks for this above story, Anil ji. Awe struck am I - because each time my brain and ego feels it understood Bhagawan, the very next talk I hear - makes me feel I understood nothing. Thank you for posting this wonderful one on Maharishee's silence. The other on silence by Bhagawan was on a Sivarathri day when devotees asked for a message, bhagawan (like Dakshinamurthy) sat facing south in silence till next day morning - and what bliss it can be than being in HIS holy presence  on a Sivarathri day - Siva himself.

Sanjay
Salutations to Bhagawan

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2729 on: December 26, 2012, 07:47:37 AM »
Date: 1. 4. 46     Time 2.45 P.M.

There was talk about the ego and its vagaries. A frequent visitor said:
V. In meditation I try to eliminate the body thought and also the wrong ‘I’. But I am unable to succeed.
Sri Bhagwan: I remember telling you, STRICTLY, on the previous occasion to follow self-enquiry steadfastly and intensely. Who asked you to do round about things? Tell me what is meditation? Tell me also what I told you about meditation.

V. REMEBERING ONE’S TRUE NATURE.
Sri Bhagwan: Yes, Exactly so.
V. Self-enquiry is for removing the ego. Suppose the ego is erased what should we do thereafter for Self Realisation?

Sri Bhagwan: FIRST ANNIHILATE YOUR EGO AND THEN COME TO ME.

Sri Bhagwan then remained silent for a few minutes and continued:

“Why do you ask these things while you are not advancing in your sadhana? What is left after the ego is erased? It is the EGOLESS STATE. YOU PRACTICE SELF-ENQUIRY MORE AND MORE. DO NOT HAVE EXCESSIVE CONFIDENCE IN OTHER METHODS.”

Note: FOLLOW UP ACTION BY SRI BHAGWAN: WHAT  MEMORY DOES SRI BHAGWAN HAVE! HOW HE WATCHES THE PROGRESS OF DEVOTEES WITH INTEREST AND COMPASSION!

Source: More Talks With Sri Ramana Maharshi

Dear devotees, It is the Egoless State. And there is no better axe to cut the ego for once and all than the twin weapons of Enquiry. THEREFORE, IF ENQUIRY INTEREST EVEN A LITTLE ONE MUST PRACTICE MORE AND MORE THAN HAVING EXCESSIVE CONFIDENCE IN OTHER ROUND-ABOUT METHODS. REMEMBER ALWAYS: BODILESS AND AS THE SELF HE IS WATCHING YOUR PROGRESS WITH EVEN MORE INTEREST AND COMPASSION!

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil