Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 759282 times)

silentgreen

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #270 on: December 17, 2010, 03:32:14 PM »
Dear Om Hridayam,

In Ramana Ashram, Vedic chantings are held in the evening (late afternoon). The Brahmin boys chant the Vedas and other mantras in Sanskrit. There are no caste discriminations. The chanting creates a divine atmosphere. Many people also join the chantings. Many circumbulate across the samadhi of Bhagavan during the chanting (and also other times).
Homage to the Universal Being...Om Shanti ... Om Shanti ... Om Shanti ...

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #271 on: December 17, 2010, 03:37:21 PM »

Dear Om Hridayam,

In the Asramam today there is no caste distinctions at all in
the dining hall or in Samadhi Hall, where pujas and evening
parayana takes or even in Old Hall, where individuals do silent
meditation.  A man of one caste can sit along with a man of
other caste in all these places.  All are given the same vegetarian
food and if some Westerner wants less spicy food, he is given that
also.

What you have perhaps, seen is the photo of a Vedic Patasala.
Vedas are taught to Brahmin boys, with capable teachers.  This
Veda classes have to be attended for about 8 years right from
say 6th year of a boy.  This traditional teaching is going on.
Right from ancient days, Vedas are taught only to brahmins.
They do not attend to schools of normal categories.  These boys
after learning, spend their life either in teaching Vedas in turn
or just doing rituals as per the commandment of Vedas.  They
do not get income excepting some small fees they collect from
householders for doing such pujas.  It is not an easy life - be it
learning Vedas or living a Vedic life.  One should know Sanskrit
literature, grammar and poetics, should have a good voice to pronounce mantras and on top of all this, one should learn to live
a very very simple life, almost in chill penury.  Because in modern
times income from conducting pujas for householders by these
Vedic brahmins is almost nothing.  99.99% brahmin boys go for
computer classes and medicine today.  So this is a rare choice by a
few boys and this is conducted accordingly.  In the Asramam,
they are given sattvic food, minimum clothing and only milk everyday, no coffee or tea.  They spend about 6 to 8 hours in reading and chanting Vedas.

If still someone other than a brahmin wants to learn Vedas he should have a private teacher and learn.  Still he cannot do pujas for others.  The great German Max Mueller learnt Sanskrit and Vedas this way.  He spent 40 years of his life in doing this and ultimately translated Rg Veda in German.  Are you game for this,
at least?

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #272 on: December 17, 2010, 03:40:24 PM »

As silentgreen has observed, you might have seen these boys
chanting Vedas during abulations to Sri Ramaneswara Maha Lingam,
the Siva lingam on the Samadhi.  This is done regularly.

Arunachala Siva.

Om Hridayam

• Love Ramana Love Ramana Love Ramana Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: December 17, 2010, 03:51:48 PM »
Thanks again for those who took the time to explain.
It may help to understand that I have studied comparative religions for 30+ years and have been unfortunate enough
to have involved myself with a couple "spiritual" organizations that changed things around after the leader died,
(Creating a different atmosphere than the legacy of the teacher should have been...)
so i am just checking... So far nothing is amiss that I can see in how Ramana's teaching is being carried on.
Please don't be offended at my questions.

As for would I be "game for that"? I am a married householder with responsibilities to my wife, but
I guarantee you that in my heart I long to live in a spiritual and austere environment. I have little interest in the world
and have often dreamed of being a monk with a vow of silence. I have no delusions about that kind of life being "easy" in the materialistic sense,
but I have responsibilities that I must see through. I feel it would be a grave error and a kind of violence to abandon my wife
to fend for herself so that I could live that kind of life.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 08:08:25 PM by Om Hridayam »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #274 on: December 17, 2010, 04:10:11 PM »

Dear Om Hridayam,

I was just saying that only to highlight how tough such a life is.
It is like being a choir boy in church or reading Bible in a Lutheran
Church, singing and reading, day in and day out.  Simple life, simple living and great spiritual progress, if one has got commitment towards the goal.

At least today Vedas are available in Sanskrit books.  In the ancient
days it was chanted by the teacher and the disciples should learn.
No written material.  Simple astute listening is important.  This is called Sravanam.  Then one should memorize it from what he heard.
It is Mananam.  Then one should contemplate the mantras, its purport and meaning.  Nididhyasanam.

Arunachala Siva. 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #275 on: December 17, 2010, 05:15:14 PM »
  Dear Sri om hridayam,

Bhagwan Sri Ramana's mission in the world was to give the path of ' Atmavichara ' or the Self-enquiry and help earnest seekers by giving 'darshan' and clarifying their doubts. To my knowledge He never interfered with the existing order of things in the society. After all who sees distinctions in the society ? The ego which does not exist. Whenever such questions were raised, Sri Bhagwan always turned the attention of the questioner to himself who sees distinctions in the society. He asked to enquire and seek the source of the ego 'I'  first.

An Arya Samajist : Should there be distinction of castes ?
Sri Bhagwan : Who is it that sees such distinctions ? Find it out.
   Talks, no. 507

Thank you
                Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #276 on: December 18, 2010, 06:16:03 AM »
Dear Sri Subramanian Sir, with reference to your post ( reply 298 ), this to state that Sri Bhagwan's Path of Jnana Vicharam is truly the Universal Religion of the Spirit, the Pure Knowledge which transcended all religions, faiths, all creeds, all dogmas, all other paths....

Yes Sir, renouncing external symbols and retaining the one who renounces, the renouncer, is like cutting merely the branches and leaving intact the roots. Sri Bhagwan says in Self Enquiry that Sannyasa is only renunciation of  the 'I'-thought and not the rejection of external objects. Regards. Anil   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #277 on: December 18, 2010, 09:56:51 AM »
  " Oh Arunachala ! In Thee the picture of the universe is formed, abides and is dissolved. In this enigma rests the miracle of Truth. Thou are the Inner Self who dancest in the hearts as ' I '. Heart is thy name Oh Lord ! "
   Verse-2, The Five Gems On Sri Arunachala

Devotee : If the jiva is by nature identical with the Self, what is it that prevents the jiva from realising its true nature ?
Sri Bhagwan : It is forgetfulness of the jiva's true nature ; this is known as the power of veiling.
Devotee : If it is true that the jiva has forgotten itself, how does the ' I '-experience arise for all ?
Sri Bhagwan : The veil does not completely hide the jiva, it only hides the Self- nature of ' I ' and projects the ' I am the body ' notion ; but it does not hide the Self's existence which is ' I ', and which is real and eternal.
    From Self-Enquiry

I consier the above cited song and the quote from the Self-Enquiry to be of paramount importance for sadhana.
  ' I am the body ' idea does not completely hide the Self's existence which is the basic and undifferentiated ' I ' and which is real and eternal. It hides the Self nature of ' I ' or it hides the specific truth that the jiva is the Supreme Self. Sri Bhagwan says that the maya in the form of ignorance ' I am the body ' notion does not obscures the Sat or the Being aspect but it  obscures the Chit and Ananda aspects of the Brahman or the Self. Sat or the being aspect is palpable and faintly trdnsparent to the intellect in the ego  ' I ' or the ' I am the body ' notion which, witha little sadhana, is within the experience of one and all. It is Merciful Lord Sri Arunachala Ramana's Grace that the existence aspect of the Self is not completely covered or obscured. Partially transparent aspect of the Self acts as the unmistakable scent grasping, holding, and tracing which a seeker reaches the Supreme Truth, i.e. his Source i.e. the Self. Otherwise, it would have been well-nigh impossible to be Self-aware, to reach the Supremd Truth.

Thank you,
        Anil         

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #278 on: December 18, 2010, 04:56:51 PM »

Dear Anil,

All japas and pujas are done retaining the ego.  It is at best
karma phala tyagam.  But Bhagavan Ramana said ahankara
tyagam as the central teaching.

One Saiva Siddhanti came to the Asramam.  He was going round
and found that there were no pujas etc.,  People simply sit in front
of Sri Bhagavan and occasionally someone asks questions.  And
Bhagavan answers.  Seeing this the Siddhanti asked:  What is your sampradayam [daily rituals]?  Sri Bhagavan did not answer him.
Someone intervened and said: Here to follow no sampradayam
is our sampradayam.  Then the Siddhanti said:  In our Maths,
we chant mantas  thousands of times.  And at night, before going to bed, we submit everything to our Guru. 

Sri Bhagavan then said:  Oh, is it so?  It is like keeping the capital and giving the interest to the Guru. Many devotees did not understand.  Muruganar entered the Hall.  Sri Bhagavan said:
"Oye!  Hear this, in their Maths, they chant mantras thousands of times on a day and then hand over the phalam to Guru.  It is like keeping the capital and giving interest to the Guru."

Muruganar became red in his face and then said: "Bhagavan!  Their Guru is much better.  He only takes the interest and allow them to retain the capital.  Here, the capital itself is swallowed.  Capital here means Ego. Sri Bhagavan is the consumer of ego.  Then
where is the opportunity to do pujas and mantra japas?

Everyone laughed.

Arunachala Siva.           

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #279 on: December 19, 2010, 06:43:57 AM »
  Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

Ah !  This is the picturesque description of the sublime ambience that surrounded Sri Bhagwan.

Dear Sir, if one comes to  Sri Bhagwan, He is that blazing 'Fire Of Knowledge' in which are consumed both interest as well as the capital.

Thank you so much for a very nice and beautiful post.

Regards,
           Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #280 on: December 19, 2010, 07:54:27 AM »
  Dear Devotees and Seekers,

Sing the Glory of Sri Bhagwan, Lord Shiva Incarnate ! The very embodiment of Existence, Consciousness and Bliss ! The only Beacon of Hope for the seekers of Truth !
  Following is the moving account of the divine expression of the Universal unattached Love that is Sri Bhagwan. Savour your tears ! Savour your joys !

" Once Laksmi came into the hall. She was pregnant at that time. It was after lunch time when Bhagwan was reading the newspapers. Laksmi came near and started licking the papers. Bhagwan looked up and said, ' Wait a little, Laksmi.' But Laksmi went on licking. Bhagwan laid his paper aside, put his hands behind Laksmi,s horns and his head against hers. Like this they stayed for quite a long time. I stood nearby looking at the wonderful scene. After some ten minutes or so, Bhagwan turned to me and said : ' Do you know what Laksmi is doing ? She is in Samadhi.' I looked at her and tears were flowing in streams down her broad cheeks. Her breathing had stopped and her eyes were fixed on Bhagwan. After some time Bhagwan changed his position and asked : ' Laksmi, how do you feel now ?' Laksmi moved backward, as if reluctant to turn her tail towards Bhagwan, walked round the Hall and went out. "
  Mountain Path, July-September 2010

Adoring and worshipping the Lotus Feet of Sri Bhagwan, the very Embodiment of the Supreme Brahman, the Satchitananda

Thank you,
         Anil 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #281 on: December 19, 2010, 08:02:36 AM »

Dear Anil,

That is a nice remark about Cow Lakshmi.  Sri Bhagavan gave
'diksha' by looking, thinking or remembering about a devotee, or
by touching.  He Himself says this in Sri Arunachala Akshara Mana
Maalai, Verse 63.

Looking at me, thinking of me and touching me, you have to make
me fit, ripen me!  Then be my Master, govern me, O Arunachala!

Cow Lakshmi had all these three dikshas from Sri Bhagavan.

The devotees were very rarely touched by Sri Bhagavan.  Perhaps,
Annamalai Swami and a few others are exception.  But looking,
gazing intently, He has done in case of many devotees.  Thinking
or remembering devotees, He must have done for almost all devotees.

Arunachala Siva. 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #282 on: December 19, 2010, 06:31:44 PM »
  Dear Sir, regarding initiation, this is to say that the 'Pure Light' of Sri Bhagwan is all pervading. There is not a single point in the whole universe which is not pervaded by Sri Bhagwan. Even today after His 'Mahanirvana' , He is always looking for His preys using His Blissful Initiation-conferring on him the ability to discriminate between the Real and the unreal. Whose ego is going to be food for Him, as the great poet Sri Muruganar said, He alone knows. Regards. Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #283 on: December 20, 2010, 07:16:44 AM »
  Dear Devotees and Seekers, I see my dead relatives in my dreams, though they may have been dead sevaral years before. Where from do they come in my dreams ? Obviously, creator is in the creature. We dream that we are travelling in an alien country, confronting hostile creatures, hanging down a cliff, fierce snakes chasing me, crying helplessly for help etc. Now, when we wake up from the dream, all dream creatures and dream objects disappear, all of them simply vanish, leaving me, the single individual behind, all alone. Where do they all go away ? Where are they all ? They can only be in myself. There is a realisation, there is a knowing, that it was mere dream and that all those dream persons, objects and events were the creation of my own mind. Sri Bhagwan says that the dream is analogus to and holds good for Realisation also. When one become Self-aware, instantly the whole world along with the ego, the dreamer in the waking state  disappear, simply evaporate, leaving behind the Self, Satchidananda, all Alone. Where do all these go away ? No where. There is a realistion, there is a knowing that it was all a dream and that they are not real. Thanl you. Anil     

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #284 on: December 20, 2010, 07:36:18 AM »
  Dear devotees and seekers, therefore, in essence, this all important looking waking state is, in truth, not different from the dream state. When dream characters and events are wiped out, residue is the sleeping  individual, the dreamer. Sri Bhagwan says that when the ego is merged with the Self, all are wiped out, the residual Peace is ' I '. Thank you. Anil