Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 758302 times)

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #2670 on: December 16, 2012, 07:13:37 PM »
yes agreed udai garu.

Infact with this independent thinking attitude westerners achieved in a BIG way in materialist world and all of us have read about their formulas and threoms in your childhood..  like newton laws,einsten theory of realitivity , pythogorous thearem etc..

any average indians when asked can score 8/10 marks as we typically mugup all the formulas  :) hence hardly any inventions by indians..

Same formula also works in spiritual field where independent thinking attitude is very much necessary which means introspection to find out why so-and-so quote is said by so-so is very much necessary.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2671 on: December 17, 2012, 08:44:00 AM »
Devotee: What is ego?
Sri Bhagwan : Ego being internal and not external to you it must be clear to yourself.
Devotee: What is its definition?
Sri Bhagwan : The definition also must proceed from the ego. The ego must define itself.
Devotee: What is soul?Devotee: Are they then the same?
Sri Bhagwan: Soul can be without the ego; but the ego cannot be without the soul. THEY ARE LIKE BUBBLE AND THE OCEAN.

Dear devotees, therefore, the ego must be found. Only then the SOUL will be found.
They are like bubble and the ocean.
HOWEVER, WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF BUBBLE START S THINKING AND BEHAVING AS IF IT IS THE OCEAN?

Pranam,
  Anil   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2672 on: December 17, 2012, 08:57:28 AM »
Dear devotees, the conversation between Sri Bhagwan and a devotee posted in my previous post could not be typed properly. Hence, it is reposted as follows:

Devotee: What is ego?
Sri Bhagwan : Ego being internal and not external to you it must be clear to yourself.
Devotee: What is its definition?
Sri Bhagwan : The definition also must proceed from the ego. The ego must define itself.
Devotee: What is soul?
Sri Bhagwan : FIND THE EGO , THE SOUL IS FOUND.
Devotee: Are they then the same?
Sri Bhagwan: Soul can be without the ego; but the ego cannot be without the soul. THEY ARE LIKE BUBBLE AND THE OCEAN.
Devotee: What is Atman?
Sri Bhawan: Atman and soul are same.

Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2673 on: December 17, 2012, 10:13:11 AM »
Dear anil,

Nice. It is one of the brilliant conversations of Sri Bhagavan.

Arunachala Siva.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2674 on: December 17, 2012, 11:30:47 AM »
"WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF BUBBLE START S THINKING AND BEHAVING AS IF IT IS THE OCEAN"

For the above question the answer below is given and sometimes  instead of Bubble the example Wave/Ocean is given .

Bubble is the ocean.
Bubble never was separate.
The problem is that it took itself to be a "bubble" and is suffering.
Ego is to take yourself ot be the bubble!

But the next question asked is Bubble /wave is similar in substance with Ocean but differs in their strength i.e strength and energy of a wave is different from strength and energy of Ocean .
I have no answer for this .I was discussing this with a friend of mine and both of us could not get an answer  :) So would be happy if others can share the answer to this question i.e Wave is similar to Ocean in essence but differs in its strength and energy ,so is the analogy right ?
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2675 on: December 17, 2012, 06:15:05 PM »
Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

Ji. Yes. Thanks very much, sir.

State of Realisation is also described as the Egoless State. The origin of all illusion is the ego-sense. As long as the ego-sense endures, there cannot be end to ignorance and bondage, that is, we shall become free only by being egoless. Ego alone is the parent of all doubts and discussion and the arch-enemy of Happiness. Right thing to do, therefore, is to arrest the chief culprit—the ego, and dispose of him by the quest of the Real Self which the ego pretends to be. Discovery of the Real Self alone is the final answer to all questions. Every question that arises as well as answer to it are vitiated by the ignorance which the ego takes at its face value as if it is the Self. 

All questions are therefore reducible to one, “Who Am I?” which is the quest of the Self and by which the Egoless State is discovered by disposing of the ego.

Sri Bhagwan has taught that the Real Self, which is the Source of the ego, must therefore first be sought and found .What happens then? It is beautifully described by Sri Muruganar thus:

“Will the wave of the deep ocean allow a small creature which has fallen into it and which is on the point of death, to raise up its head? Likewise in the face of full flood of the Silence of true Knowledge, is it possible for the ego, ‘I am the fleshy body’ to rise?”
V. 1142, GVK, Edited by Sri Sadhu Om

Ji. Yes. This little ego cannot raise its head in the State of Real Illumination by the Pure Consciousness.IN THE SURGING FLOOD OF THE SILENCE OF KNOWLEDGE  EGO CAN NEVER RAISE ITS HEAD AGAIN.

BUT THE REAL SELF MUST BE SOUGHT AND FOUND. How?

Sri Bhagwan: To enquire ‘Who am I?’ really means trying to find out the Source of the ego. You are not to think of other thoughts, such as ‘I am not this body or I am the Self’. SEEKING THE SOURCE OF ‘I’ SERVES AS A MEANS OF GETTING RID OF ALL OTHER THOGUTHS. WE SHOULD NOT GIVE SCOPE  TO OTHER THOUGHTS BUT MUST KEEP THE ATTENTION ON FINDING THE SOURCE  OF THE ‘I-THOUGHT.
So Sri Bhawan says we must find out WHERE IS US arises the I-thought which is the source of all other thoughts.
Q. Shall I meditate on ‘I am Brahman’?
Sri Bhawan: The text is not meant for THINKING ‘I am Brahman’. ‘I’ is known to everyone. Brahman abides as aham in everyone. FIND OUT THE ‘I’. ‘I’ is already Brahman. You need not think so. SIMPLY FIND OUT THE ‘I’.       

FINDING OUT THE ‘I’ AND ABIDING IN THE SILENCE OF THE ILLUMIATION OF KNOWLEDGE’ IS THE ULTIMATE  TEACHING.

Pranam,
  Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2676 on: December 17, 2012, 07:26:05 PM »
Dear Anil,

Onc can calll it Egoless state, Mindless state, thought-less state etc., If one could attain this permanently, one can abide in the
Self.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2677 on: December 17, 2012, 07:44:57 PM »
Quote from Sri Atmavichar:
“I have no answer for this .I was discussing this with a friend of mine and both of us could not get an answer  So would be happy if others can share the answer to this question i.e Wave is similar to Ocean in essence but differs in its strength and energy ,so is the analogy right ?”

Dear Sri Atmavichar,

Yes, while it is true that waves and ocean are similar, so also jivas and Brahman are similar—IN ESSENCE, but if the ego realises not and merges not in THAT WHICH IS, and instead abruptly starts thinking and trying to behave as if realised, THEN THERE IS THE REAL DANGER OF THE SAME EGO GETTING INFLATED INFINITELY AND GOING BERSERK. Therefore, there is a need to be cautious and be ware while treading such margas. Even the traditional path of meditation on ’I am Brahman, or aham Brahmasmi’, for this reason as I have learnt, was taught by the Guru to only mature aspirants. 

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil

ramanaduli

• View Profile
« Reply #2678 on: December 17, 2012, 08:28:18 PM »
Dear sirs,

For every marga there is a need of gurus. The true guru only knows who is fit for upadesa. More over every sadhak is not eligible for atma vichar. They would come to atma vichar step by step. A sadhak should be sakori. Guru's grace, God's grace and sadhak's determination will bring good result. It is my understanding. There may be exceptional.

Ramanaduli

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2679 on: December 18, 2012, 07:23:24 AM »
Quote from Sri ramanaduli:
“For every marga there is a need of gurus. The true guru only knows who is fit for upadesa. More over every sadhak is not eligible for atma vichar. They would come to atma vichar step by step. A sadhak should be sakori. Guru's grace, God's grace and sadhak's determination will bring good result. It is my understanding. There may be exceptional.”

Dear Sri ramanaduli,

Yes, our very remembrance is the forerunner of Grace. This is said to be the response as well as the stimulus. Grace is the Self Itself and therefore is in the beginning, middle and in end.

Yes, effort is needed, Grace is there. When Grace and effort act and react on each other, there is nothing that cannot be achieved.
Our remembrance is due to Grace.
Introversion is due to Grace.
Perseverance is due to Grace.
And Realisation is due to Grace.

Therefore, truly, Grace is in the beginning, middle and the end.

WITH REGARD TO THE QUESTION OF ELIGIBILITY FOR ATMA-VICHARA, I WISH TO ONLY SAY THAT FOR ONE WHO IS TRULY GRACED, PATH IS INWARD, INWARD AND INWARD……  . FOR EVERYONE WHO SEEKS GRACE, PATH  IS INWARD, FOR THE SELF IS GRACE. THEREFORE, WHERE ELSE CAN IT BE FOUND IF NOT INWARD?

Thanks very much.

Pranam,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2680 on: December 18, 2012, 09:04:18 AM »
Quote from Sri Subramanian Sir:
“Onc can calll it Egoless state, Mindless state, thought-less state etc., If one could attain this permanently, one can abide in the
Self.”

Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

Ji. Yes. Thanks very much, sir.
Following is the Analysis (neti-neti):
I am not the gross body, because when I dream, dream body takes the place. Neither am I the mind, because in deep sleep I continue to exist, though the mind ceases to be. As mind and body appear fitfully, they are unreal. As I exist continuously, without break, I am real, as the pure ‘I am’. I reject all these as not ‘myself’, because they are objects seen by me. I cannot reject myself, that is ‘I am’, BECAUSE IT IS THAT FROM WHICH BODY AND MIND ARE BEING REJECTED. Hence the ‘I am’ is the truth of ME. All else is not ‘I’.

But by this analysis, we do not arrive at  the real and practical experience of the ‘I’, the Self. ALL WE CAN GAIN BY THIS ANALYSIS IS JUST AN INTELLECTUAL GRASP OF THE TRUTH OF THE SELF. THE TRUTH THUS KNOWN IS, AT BEST, A MERE MENTAL ABSTRACTION. We need to experience the real and concrete presence of the Self. Self must be sought.

As for meditation, ‘I am not this, I am That,’ vis-a vis the DIRECT METHOD, Sri Bhagwan Himself says:
“The Direct Method of winning the real Self is diving into the Heart, seeking the Source of the ‘I am’; the meditation, ‘I am not this, I am that,’ is of course helpful, BUT IT IS NOT ITSELF THE METHOD OF FINDING THE SELF.”   

Further, speaking to a visitor, Sri Bhagwan says:
“You are told that the ego is not your real Self; if you accept it, then you have only to search for and find that which is your real Self, the real Being of which the ego is a false appearance. WHY THEN YOU MEDITATE ‘I AM THAT’? THAT ONLY GIVES A FREASH LEASE OF LIFE TO THE EGO. It is like some one trying to avoid ‘thiking of the monkey when taking medicine’, by the very act of trying he admits the thought.”

Sri Bhagwan says in the V. 32 of the Ulladu Narpadu that it is due to weakness of the mind if one goes on meditating ‘I am not this, I am That’, instead of winning the Natural State indicated by the Upanishadic Text ’Thou art That’ by pursuing , with one pointed mind, the Enquiry “Who am I?”. 

Ji. Yes. Sri Annamalai Swami also says that if one cannot do Self-enquiry, meditation such as  ‘I am not the body or the mind, I am the Immanent Self’ can be an aid. But I feel that one should be wary also, for the wretched ego may take upon itself to be the Self and get inflated infinitely and lose the way to its Source, that is the Self.

Pranam,
  Anil 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2681 on: December 18, 2012, 05:52:04 PM »
SRI ANNAMALAI SWAMI:
“At some point while I was serving Bhagwan  the ashram acquired the house  in Tiruchuzhi where Bhagwan was born. Chinnaswami asked me to go there and do some construction work on the old house. He wanted to turn it into some kind of temple.
I  didn’t want to leave Bhagwan so I told Chinnaswami, ‘I HAVE COMPLETED ALL MY TEMPLE WORSHIPPING AND MY BATHING IN HOLY WATERS IN MY PREVIOUS BIRTHS. THAT’S WHY I HAVE COME TO BHAGWAN NOW.  I DON’T NEED THESE ACTIVITIES ANY MORE.
Chinnaswami didn’t pursue this matter with me and I never went to Tirchuzhi.
I had enough punyas to come to Bhagwan and receive his grace because I had done all these things in other lives. The charitable works, the good actions, the temple rituals, etc. that I had done in past lives earned me the right to come to Bhagwan’s presence, to stay there and serve him. They had served their purpose and I didn’t need them any more. ALL THESE RITUAL ACTIVITIES LOST THEIR APPEAL FOR ME WITHIN A FEW DAYS OF ENCOUNTERING BHAGWAN AND HIS TEACHINGS.”

Final Talks

Dear devotees, there came many and went awaybut a few truly arrived for once and all.

Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2682 on: December 18, 2012, 06:14:49 PM »
Sri Bhagavan said: To say I, I, I, or 'I am' is better than saying 'I am Brahman.'

Since one is already Brahma Swarupam there is no predicate Brahman is necessary.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2683 on: December 19, 2012, 08:14:03 AM »
Quote from Sri Tushnim:
Whether one says "I" or "I am Brahman" its just the same. Coz one is invoking the same Bhavana with both , ie, to remain as "I AM".
its just a reminder.
Anything can work.
I dont verbalize anything, just remain as I AM ...
so it varies from person to person.

Bhagavan definitely condemned saying it without the Bhavana ... whats the use of simply s aying i am brahman without actually being as "I AM" ? That was Ramana's stand, in my opinion.

This talk of whether "Aham brahmasmi is better" or "Who am i " is better is really created by some later people. Both i am brahman and who am i are just pointers to lead one to "I AM", Aham Asmi. nothing more.

Quote from Sri Tushnim:
a) could be who am i or even aham brahmasmi.

Dear Devotees,

I shall speak to you because there is, in my view, no use speaking to Sri Tushnim, for he wouldn’t understand . Instead, I shall try to show how the above quotes from Sri Tushnim are a clear and deliberate attempt to vitiate and undermine the Purity of ATMA-VICHARA as revealed and taught by Bhagwan Sri Ramana, and that too in a forum devoted to His Life and Teaching, as follows:

Q. Is it not better to say ‘I am the supreme being’ than ask ‘Who am I?’
Sri Bhagwan : Who affirms? There must be one to do it. Find that one.
Q. Is not meditation better than investigation?
Sri Bhagwan : MEDITATION IMPLIES MENTAL IMAGERY, whereas investigation is for the reality. THE FORMER IS OBJECTIVE, WHEREAS THE LATTER IS SUBJECTIVE.

Dear devotees, Sri Tushnim has observed that it could be either ‘Who am I?’ or even ‘aham Brahmsami ‘, for both of them are the same and depends on the person.

How far this is from the truth! Why? See:

Sri Bhagwan : Aham (‘I’) alone is common to them. One is soham. The other is koham (Who am I?. THEY ARE DIFFERENT. Why should we go on saying soham. One must find out the real ‘I’. IN THE QUESTION ‘WHO AM I?’, ‘I’ REFERS TO THE EGO. TRYING TO TRACE IT AND FIND ITS SOURCE, we see it has no separate existence but merges in the real ‘I’. You see the difficulty. Vichara is different in method from the meditation ‘sivoham or soham’ (‘I am Siva or I am He’). I rather lay stress upon Self-knowledge, for you are first concerned with yourself before you proceed to know the world and its Lord. THE SOHAM MEDITATION OR ‘I AM BRAHMAN’ MEDITATION IS MORE OR LESS A MENTAL THOUGHT. BUT THE QUEST FOR THE SELF I SPEAK OF IS A DIRECT METHOD, INDEED SUPERIOR TO THE OTHER MEDITATION. The moment you start looking for the self and go deeper and deeper, the Real Self is waiting there to take you in. Then whatever is done is done by something else and you have no hand in it.

Dear devotees, I believe that the above is the direct Teaching of Sri Bhagwan and not a latter interpretation!

Dear devotees, why did Sri Bhagwan criticise and even thus discourage His devotees from practicing ‘I am Brahman’ approach? Because He taught that while the mind was constantly engaged in finding or repeating solutions to the question IT WOULD NEVER SINK INTO SOURCE AND DISAPPEAR, and result would be obvious, ego parading in guise of the Self.

We must understand that Direct Method which Sri Bhagwan revealed as VICHARA, is diving into the Heart, seeking the Source of the ‘I AM’, whereas the meditation ‘I am Brahman or I am the Self’, though may be helpful to some, is not itself the method, Sri Bhagwan speaks of, of finding the Self.

Sri Bhagwan : WHY THEN YOU MEDITATE ‘I AM THAT?’ THAT GIVES A FRESH LEASE OF LIFE TO THE EGO. THE SOURCE OR TRUTH OF THE EGO MUST BE TRACED AND FOUND. MEDITATING ‘I AM THAT’ IS OF NO USE; FOR MEDITATION IS BY THE MIND, AND THE SELF IS BEYOND THE MIND. IN THE QUEST OF ITS OWN REALITY THE EGO PERISHES OF ITSELF; HENCE THIS IS THE DIRECT METHOD, IN ALL ELSE THE EGO IS RETAINED AND HENCE SO MANY DOUBTS ARISE AND THE ETERNAL QUESTION REMAINS TO BE FACED; UNTILL THAT QUESTION (WHO AM I? IS FACED THERE WILL BE NO END TO THE EGO. THEN WHY NOT FACE THAT QUESTION AT ONCE, WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THOSE OTHER METHODS?

Dear devotees, and here is Sri Tushnim who is bent upon proving that both method are the same and depends on the person!
“Whatever assumes the reality of the ego, whether explicitly or by implication, would even take us further away from the Goal, that is the Egoless State’, IF WE DO NOT BEWARE.”

‘Who am I?’ means ‘What is the Truth of me?’ and ‘Whence am I?’ means ‘WHAT IS THE SOURCE OF THE SENSE OF SELF IN THE EGO?’

“Where the ego rises not, there we are That. But how can that perfect Egolessness be attained, if the mind dives not into its Source? AND IF THE EGO DIES NOT HOW CAN OUR Natural State be won, wherein we are That?”
V. 27, Ulladu Narpadu

Dear devotees, Sri Tushnim speaks of mediating on ‘I am Brahman’ with bhava or bhavana. I wish to add that in Vichara as revealed by Sri Bhagwan, no such bhavana is allowed other than attending to the sense of the self in the ego.

Sri Bhagwan never spoke against any spiritual practice. Even He sometimes conceded that for those who is not capable of taking up directly Vichara, meditation on mahavakyas may be a good method for purifying and strengthening the mind. Likewise, Sri Annamalai Swami has alos observed that for those who cannot take to Self-enquiry, this other meditation can be an aid. But for those who are engaged in Enquiry, it itself goes on purifying the mind.

Therefore, what was termed as a help or an aid, should not be integrated with the main sadhana of Vichara, for it is sure to confuse the beginners in Enquiry.

Sri Subramanian Sir has beautifully observed:     

Sri Bhagavan said: To say I, I, I, or 'I am' is better than saying 'I am Brahman.'

Since one is already Brahma Swarupam there is no predicate Brahman is necessary.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2684 on: December 19, 2012, 03:29:08 PM »
Quote from Sri Tushnim:
“strangely they have no problems with Bhakti / Prayers etc. Such statements pass easily. Clearly Bhagavan himself says [and i prove this below] that contemplation on "I AM HE" is far superior to any other dualistic worship! And yet in this very forum ... Prayers, Bhajans etc go with lot of appreciation while " I AM HE" is condemned as "wrong to say" , "egoistic" or "Blasphemous" !! Are our friends in this forum really presenting Ramana's teachings ? In the above example did I really say contemplation on "I AM he" is inquiry ? Lets see with an open mind friends ... let things be sorted out on the basis of the truth and not vague analysis lacking subtlety.

Dear Sri Tushnim,

Yes. We are friends and friendship thus forged will always remain irrespective of our differences in approach to search for the Reality. Bond of love will is always there.

Yes, Sri Bhawan, In verse 8 of the Upadesa Saram, says that  meditation ‘I am That’ is superior to one based on dualistic thought. But Sri Bhagwan also says that the Vichara is superior to all other kinds of meditation.
Dear Sri Tushnim, you didn’t say that contemplation on ‘I am He’ is same as enquiry, but what you said in your previous post is, in my view, akin to saying that. You said:
“a) could be who am i or even aham brahmasmi.”
“This talk of whether "Aham brahmasmi is better" or "Who am i " is better is really created by some later people. Both i am brahman and who am i are just pointers to lead one to "I AM", Aham Asmi. nothing more.”

What I wrote in my previous post was in fact a response to your above statements, because Sri Bhagwan certainly taught that Atma-vichara is the Direct Method and therefore superior to all other methods.

Dear Sri Tushnim, I wish to say that I am aware that ‘I am He’ is a very important spiritual sadhana and is the traditional path of meditation as explained in the Great Upanishads.I have nothing against the method and those who practice it. And I am aware of Sri Annamalai Swamis Teaching also. BUT I CAN NEVER ACCEPT THE VIEW THAT IF ATTENTION IS SWERVED FROM THE SELF OR IF ONE LOSES THE SELF-ATTENTION, ONE SHOULD START MEDITATING ‘I AM BRAHMAN’ instead of asking ‘Who am I?’ , AS YOU SUGGESTED. If Self-attention is lost, there can be nothing better than the ‘Who am I?’ question to bring back the attention to the Self. Therefore, your above suggestion cannot be acceptable to me. You must remember Sri Bhagwan’s Words that ‘I am That’ meditation gives a fresh lease of life to the ego and the eternal question remains to be tackled in the end. If ‘who am I?’ is raised where ‘I’ is the ego to start with, and if this becomes natural, ego is sure to perish of itself while in the search of its own reality and what remains is the Real Self.   You also said in your previous post:

“Who am I is not Self Enquiry, Being as "I AM" is

If who am i is self inquiry , then a person who repeats who am i , koham koham is doing self inquiry. Now thats mere japa.
Ramana clearly said that all practises ultimately lead to Self inquiry which is abidance as I AM.”

No. Dear Sri Tushnim, I am surprised that you are not aware that Sri Bhawan has criticised the japa of ‘who am I?’ He has taught that to enquire ‘Who am I ?’really means trying to trace the Source of the ego. He has taught that seeking the Source of ‘I’ serves as a means of getting rid of all other thoughts. So, yes, ‘Who am I ?’, reaching the Source of ‘I’ and abiding as the Real ‘I’ is the Self-enquiry and not the japa of ‘Koham’ or ‘aham Brahmasmi’.
Self is “I AM”. Therefore, Sri Bhagwan has also recommended meditation of Pure ‘I am’ or “I”—Aham  as an equivalent of the Quest for the Self.

Therefore, what distinguishes Atma-Vichara from the traditional meditation of mahavakyas is that the former is subjective and later is objective. Former will easily therefore facilitate reverting back to Self-attention while the later is likely to follow a roundabout path to come to the Self.

Dear Sri Tushnim, having said as above, I wish to say that I am really sorry if my previous and this post hurt you. I never intend to do that but I felt that I must say what I felt and I must call a spade a spade. Yes, I am also a bit dismayed that many devotees here are least interested in Atma-Vichara. But well, Sri Bhagwan says that ever body sooner or later has to reach here, even if it happens just before Realisation. Therefore, if some of us need some more time to arrive, who am I or you to worry about it?

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil