Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 756250 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #2625 on: December 04, 2012, 07:03:19 PM »
Sri Annamalai Swami says that one has to make an enormous effort to realise the Self. HE CAUTIONS THAT IT IS VERY EASY TO STOP ON THE WAY AND FALL BACK INTO IGNORANCE. At any moment one can fall back. One has to make a strong determined effort to remain on the peak when one first reaches it, but of course, eventually a time will come when one is fully established in the Self.  When that happens one cannot fall. Until that moment comes constant sadhana is required.

Dear devotees, when I forget the state of being I, then is the time to enquire as taught by Sri Bhagwan, ‘Who forgets the Self?’ Yes, who after all forgets or remembers the Self, that is I, THAT IS STATE OF BEING MYSELF?’  ENQUIRING IN THIS WAY, DISCARDING ALL THAT IS NOT I, I COME BACK TO MYSELF.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2626 on: December 04, 2012, 07:08:21 PM »
Sri Annamalai Swami: You are the one who puts the curtain there by believing in ideas that are not true.  If the curtain parts and then closes again, it means that you are still believing in wrong ideas. If you have eradicated them completely, they will not reappear. While these ideas are covering up the Self , YOU STILL NEED TO DO CONSTANT SADHANA.

Q.  By constant sadhana, do you mean Self-enquiry?
Sri Swami: Yes.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2627 on: December 05, 2012, 09:12:45 AM »
Dear anil,

Yes. Constant sadhana is essential to ensure permanent abidance in the Self.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2628 on: December 05, 2012, 03:06:52 PM »
Quote:
“There is a very subtle difference, I hope you have got it.

Any Sadhana is for a Sadhya Vastu , an object which is not there with us but can be gained.
Self is not a sadhya vastu.
A pure mind is a sadhya vastu.
So Sadhana is for purification of mind and does not in any way "Touch" me, who am the Self.
So why Sadhana ?
Well, because Self does not need all this knowledge.
and body does not need it either. Neither Body nor Self do any sadhana.
so the problem is "ajnana" in the form of identification with mind, which is in mind.
so mental purification is only to eliminate this identificaiton with mind...
thats why annamalai Swami ji says " You are the one who puts the curtain there by believing in ideas that are not true. If the curtain parts and then closes again, it means that you are still believing in wrong ideas. If you have eradicated them completely, they will not reappear."

Dear Sri Tushnim,
Pranam,
Yes. By His Grace, I got it soon after  I came to His Feet. 
There is no doubt that your above quote is an impeccable understanding and insight.  Yes, the Self is not a vastu—sadhya or asadhya.  The Self is ALL what Is.
However, for the present I would only like to add here that The Self-enquiry, as taught by Sri Bhagwan, not only purifies the mind, but destroys, lock, stock and barrel, the very root of all identifications whatever, that is, the spurious ‘ego-I’ that arises between the True State of our Being and the insentient body. Sri Bhagwan, out of great Compassion for His devotees, taught us to seek this very root of all ignorance, for on seeking it, it vanishes like a phantom. Besides, He is always there playing Commander-in-Chief, in this Royal Battle, between Truth and ignorance, nudging His devotee-soldiers to keep fighting like true warriors till victory is ensured.
What is this victory? This victory consists in overcoming the wrong ideas acting as curtain which hides THAT  which alone is, that is, I,I,I……., the True State of our Being.

Thanks very much, dear Sri Tushnim.

Pranam,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2629 on: December 06, 2012, 10:00:29 AM »
Devotee: Karma, bhakti, yoga and Jnana and their subdivisions only confuse the mind. To follow the elders’ words seems to be the only right thing to do. What should I hold? Please tell me. I cannot sift the srutis and smirtis; they are too vast. So please advise me.
NO ANSWER.
Talks—339

Sri Bhawan answers elsewhere:
Devotees: bBhagwan’s is mowna diksha, is it not?
Sri Bhagwan: Yes, this is the highest form of diksha.
Devotee: Is it applicable to the Vichara Marga only?
Sri Bhagwan: ALL THE  MARGAS ARE INCLUDED IN THE VICHARA MARGA.
Talk—509

Q: Many people find Self-enquiry very difficult. Even most of Bhagwan’s devotees seem to follow a bhakti path. If one cannot do enquiry successfully, should one first purify the mind with japa?
Sri Annamalai Swami:  NO. IF YOU HAVE SOME INTEREST IN THE PATH OF SELF-ENQUIRY YOU SHOULD FOLLOW IT EVEN IF YOU FEEL THAT YOU ARE NOT VERY GOOD AT IT.

Living by the Words of Bhagwan

Dear devotees, if one practices Self-enquiry with Sri Bhagwan in the heart, there is no ambiguity, no confusion, no doubt, for such a one, with regard to MARGA. THAT IS MY CONVICTION.

Thanks very much.

Pranam,
  Anil   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2630 on: December 06, 2012, 10:11:23 AM »
Dear Anil,

Yes. Even seekers who feel diffident about their progress in Self Inquiry, should continue the same with perseverance and tenacity.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2631 on: December 06, 2012, 03:46:34 PM »
Question: I do not know how to worship. So kindly show me the way to worship.
Sri Bhagwan: Is there a ‘worshipper’ and a ‘worshipped’? Find out the  ‘I’, the worshipper;  THAT IS THE BEST WAY. ALWAYS THE SEER MUST BE TRACED.
Day by Day With Bhagwan

Dear devotees, always the seer must be traced, that is, SEE THAT WHO SEES.
Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2632 on: December 07, 2012, 08:45:50 AM »
Dear Devotees,

Sri Bhagwan has revealed that One Plenary Reality becomes aware of Itself as ‘I’ and the Brihadaranyaka Upanishad says that ‘Aham nama abhavat’, that is ‘He became ‘I’ named.

However the ‘I’ we are aware of is ‘I-thought’ which is the ego and which, of course, is not pure.
Therefore, to discern the ego-I, the greatest ever Teacher taught, “That which rises and falls is the transient ‘I’.  THAT WHICH HAS NEITHER ORIGIN NOR END IS THE PERMANENT ‘I-I’ CONSCIUOSNESS,”   Did He not?

Thus the real Self is infinite ‘I-I’, that is , ‘I’ is perfection. It is eternal. It has no origin, no end. The other ‘I’ is born and also dies. Does it not? It is impermanent.
But we want to be the Real ‘I’. Do we not?
The Great Teacher revealed an invincible and unfallible method, hither to hidden and unknown.
The whole phenomenal world is mental, mere thoughts. Our mind is flooded with waves of thoughts.
SEE TO WHOM ARE THER CHANGING THOUGHTS. They are found to arise after the ‘I-thought’. Hold the ‘I-thought’. They subside. Trace back the source of the ‘I-thought’. THE SELF ALONE WILL REMAIN.
Moreover, Sri Bhagwan taught that even to repeat ‘Aham Brahmasmi’ or think of it, a doer is necessary. WHO IS IT? It is ‘I’. BE THAT ‘I’. IT IS THE DIRECT METHOD. The other methods are meant for those who cannot take to the investigation of the Self. However, Sri Bhagwan assured that other methods will ultimately lead everyone to this method of the investigation of the Self.
Out of great compassion for us, He even went on to teach that if one cannot hold the ‘I-thought’, one should think ‘I’, ‘I’, ‘I’ and hold to that one thought to the exclusion of all others.
Dear devotees, such is our Teacher!
“Environment , time and objects are all in me. How can they be independent of me? They may change, but I remain unchanging, always the same. The objects can be differentiated by means of their names and form, whereas each one’s name is only one AND THAT IS ‘I’. ASK ANYONE , HE SAYS ‘I’ AND SPEAKS OF HIMSELF AS ‘I’, EVEN IF HE IS ISVARA. HIS NAME TOO IS ONLY ‘I’.”
“CLEARLY ALL THESE ARE IN ME. ALL THESE WIPED OUT ENTIRELY, THE RESIDUAL PEACE IS ‘I’. THIS IS SAMADHI, THIS IS ‘I’.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2633 on: December 07, 2012, 09:08:17 AM »
Dear anil,

Ramachandra Gandhi in his article I AM THOU, in Aradhana 2012 issue of Mountain Path says that even if a person has got his heart
on the right side, he will point out only 'I' to refer to himself by touching the right chest!  Even if a left hander points to the right chest
to refer to him as 'I'.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2634 on: December 07, 2012, 07:00:22 PM »
Bhawgwan said this laughing, and then, after a pause, He added, “on the other hand, Advaita does not mean that a man must always sit Ain Samadhi and never engage in action. Many things are necessary to keep up the life of the body, and action can never be avoided. NOR IS BHAKTI RULED OUT IN ADVAITA, Shankara is rightly regarded as the foremost exponent of Advaita, and yet look at the number of shrines he visited (action), and the devotional songs he wrote.

Bhagwan then gave further quotations from the eighth decad of Tiruvoimozhi to show that some of Vaishnavite Alwars had clearly endorsed Advaita. He particularly emphasised the third stanza where it say: “I was lost in Him or in That” and the fifth, which is very like Thiruvachagam stanza that says the EGO GOT ATTENUATED  MORE AND MORE AND WAS EXTINGUISHED IN THE SELF.
Day by Day with Bhagwan

Dear devotes, I feel that one should practice the Atma-vichara as taught by Sri Bhagwan, without designating it as either purely a Path of Jnana or Path of Bhakti, for it is both AND MORE THAN BOTH FUSED TOGETHER. IT IS THE DIRECT AND STRAIGHT PATH, GREATER THAN THE SUM OF BHAKTI AND JNANA AND THERFOREIT IS HOLISTIC.
AND WE SHOULD LEAVE INTENSE DEBATE ON JNANA AND BHAKTI TO SCHOLARS. 

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2635 on: December 07, 2012, 07:51:54 PM »
Dear Devotees,

Everyone will endeavour to scale Mt. Everest from wherever one is. Everyone will traverse only the shortest route to reach it. Therefore, defining a standard route to it is fallacious. One in U.S.A. will have his own shortest distance and the other from Australia his own and likewise.
More so when the Goal is spiritual. Therefore, path is certainly a myth. It cannot be formulated nor described. CAN ANYONE DESCRIBE  THE FLIGHT OF A BIRD IN A PRECISE MATHEMATICAL FORMULATION. There is only the Goal.
Pranam,
 Anil   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2636 on: December 08, 2012, 08:46:27 AM »
The bhakta requires a God to whom he can do bhakti. Is he to be taught that there is only the Self, not a worshipper and the worshipped?
Sri Bhagwan

Dear Devotees,

When what I am searching is indeed myself, If such is the case that ‘I AM’ what ‘I am’ looking for, path is a fallacy, a myth, a misnomer.
When ‘I AM’ is the practice and ‘I AM’ is the goal, do we need an arduous and torturous path to reach the ‘I’?
Well, well, but we are obsessed with a path. Are we not?
Therefore, yes, mind needs a path, for it cannot do without one. Can it?
So, of course, God is required for sadhana. But even in bhakti, goal is reached only after complete surrender.  Sri Bhawan asks, “WHAT DOES IT MEAN, EXCEPT THAT EFFACEMENT OF EGO RESULTS IN SELF REMAINING AS IT ALWAYS HAS BEEN?”
Dear devotees, If disillusionment can be termed a path, here is the path. But why a serpentine path at that?
Sri Bhagwan says that whatever path one may choose, the ‘I’ is inescapable.
The ‘I’ that does the nishkamya karma.
The ‘I’ that pines for joining the Lord from whom it feels separated.
The ‘I’ that feels it has slipped from its real nature.
AND SO ON.

Sri Bhawan:
 NO LEARNING OR KNOWLEDGE OF SCRIPTURE IS NECESSARY TO KNOW THE SELF, AS NO MAN REQUIRES A MIRROR TO SEE HIMSELF.  All knowledge is required only to be given up eventually as not-Self. Nor is household work or cares with children necessarily an obstacle. IF YOU CAN DO NOTHING MORE, AT LEAST CONTINUE SAYING ‘I, I’ TO YOURSELF MENTALLY ALL THE TIME, AS ADVISED IN ‘WHO AM I?’ WHATEVER WORK YOU MAY BE DOING AND WHETHER YOU ARE SITTING, STANDING, OR WALKING. ‘I’ IS THE NAME OF GOD. IT IS THE FIRST AND GREATEST OF ALL MANTRAS.  EVEN OM IS SECOND TO IT.     

Dear devotees, has there ever been a more direct and straight spiritual teaching in the annals of spiritual history? Please tell me.
In my view, this is the most truthful teaching EVER AS WELL.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2637 on: December 08, 2012, 09:08:20 AM »
Dear Anil,

Sri Bhagavan has no doubt no scriptural knowledge, but for Tayumnavar songs and Bible, to realize the Truth. Dr. T.M.P. Mahadevan
says that He is a rare case, where He realized Brahaman, without even knowing the word  Brahman. But for most of us, some
scriptural knowledge is essential, at least one should read Sri Bhagavan's books. Sri Bhagavan Himself has said that one should
read but no read limitlessly as all spiritual books speak mano nigraham.

Arunachala Siva.       

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2638 on: December 08, 2012, 09:15:24 AM »
Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

Ji. Yes. Most certainly and, in ,my view,inevitably too !

Thanks very much, sir.

Pranam,
  Anil

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #2639 on: December 08, 2012, 09:38:26 AM »
Subramanian/anil/Friends,
The Statements of Anil and subramanian are both valid.
It is essential to be born in this world,it is essential to have spiritual aspiration,it is essential to have Guru(Guru Tatvam) -in order to realize God.
If we are born,have the aspiration,earn the Grace of the Guru-then Life becomes a learning leading to discovery and ripening.Whatever we need to learn through writings or sayings of the Great ones,through the vicissitudes of life -all these come to our aid.
One may even say that Eating gives us energy and without food,we may not be able to realize!This is in fact what the taittriya upanishad actually says-'Annam brahmeti vyajanat',so also 'pranam brahmeti vyajanat',as also 'Mano brahmeti Vyajanat' and so on-each and every aspect has its role and importance.
If someone says 'Scriptural Study' is important,it is like singling out and giving it undue importance and thus making it a Fetish.It is this turning something into a Fetish that is discouraged.Everything has its utility and ultimately it depends on the one who utilizes all these.
Namaskar.