Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 755705 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #2610 on: November 07, 2012, 07:20:19 AM »
Quote from Sri Tushnim:
The pain is "THERE" ... Objective World. I am HERE ... The Presence.

Leave the objective world as objective !
leave the external world as external.
thats the point.
Objectify it!
Rather its already objectified, leave it as it is.

unhappiness and happiness both are objectified by me !
they belong to the movie on the screen.
in my presence they happen.
the words "I dont want these" drag them onto the subject.

Quote from Sri Subramanian Sir:
When Sri Bhagavan was suffering from terminal cancer, when some one asked Him, weather
He had pain, He said, Body is paining.

Dear Sri Subramanian Sir and Sri Tushnim,

Ji. Yes. This is certainly true. UNIQUE  EXXENCE  CANNOT  BE  PERCEIVED  OBJECTIVELY  THROUGH  THE FALSE  IMAGINATINATION  OF THE  FALSE  MIND. Can the insentient thoughts and concepts know the Unique Essence ? HE  CAN  BE  KNOWN ONLY  THROUGH   THE  PERFECT  CONSCIOUSNESS  OF  THE  ATMA  SWARUPA.  He can be known through the perfect Consciousness of the Silence of the Self. 

In my view, dawn of this knowledge is a very important Milestone in the sadhana of the Self-Enquiry. It is one thing to understand this intellectually, but quite another to experience the same and live with the experience.

Even the ego which is masquerading as the subject, upon the dawn of this knowledge, appears as only object in the Consciousness. In fact when one revels in Self-attention, masquerading drik or the false subject goes on becoming subtler and subtler and finally only the Absolute Drik or the Subject remains. 

For many years after reaching the Feet of Sri Bhagwan and practicing Vichara, although I understood this Teaching intellectually, but didn’t experience the same and therefore it remained a mental concept. Then when I had been meditating on the following Verse from Sri Ramana Puranam, it suddenly dawned on me that what I am looking for is ‘MYSELF’ AND THAT REMAINS FOUND IF AM AWARE AND AT THE SAME TIME DO NOT THINK A SINGLE THOUGHT OR WORD OR THE ‘THINKING-I’ DOES NOT RAISE ITS HEAD, AND REMAIN ONLY AS MYSELF.

When the ‘I’ thought does not arise,
and I unite [as pure being] with Him,
He remains merged with me
shining out as my very own fullness.
However, the very moment
I raise my head [thinking ‘I’],
To perceive his ancient form
he sees my oddness, scorns me,
and conceals himself from me.
  Ramana Puranam   

Dear sir, the above sublime poem helped me reach the Truth that what I am looking for is Myself. WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR IS ‘I AM’. THE MOMENT I START DELIBERATION ABOUT MY ANCIENT FORM, I LOSE MYSELF, GIVING RISE TO ALL SORTS OF FALSE IDENTIFICATIONS.

I CAN BE KNOWN THROUGH THE PERFECT CONSCIOUSNESS OF ATMA SWARUPA, MAUNA.
‘WHO AM I ?” IS INDEED INFALLIBEL DIVINE WEAPON.
Thanks very much, sir.
Pranam,
  Anil       

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2611 on: November 07, 2012, 08:37:32 AM »
'UNIQUE EXXENCE' in my last post should be read as 'UNIQUE ESSENCE'. Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2612 on: November 07, 2012, 10:13:04 AM »
Dear Anil,

Yes. Thoughts and words cannot reach the Self and understand the Self realized Jnani. Intellect can help to some extent to push
the mind within. Otherwise only self inquiry with earnestness practicing can help. Of course, Guru's grace is of paramount importance.

External appearance of a Brahma Jnani can never be the criterion of finding out a Jnani. Some roam like madmen (Seshadri Swami,
Polur Vittobha), some roam about naked, (Sadasiva Brahmendra), some visit all temples, form Maths, composed prakarana and stotra
granthas, (Sri Sankara), some live simply in one place with a coupina all His life, (Sri Bhagavan).

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2613 on: November 07, 2012, 02:07:45 PM »
Dear Tusnim,

You are always playing the same tune. I do not know how to convince you. Sri Bhagavan has said about thoughtless state
and egoless state on many many occasions.  Please read Talks thoroughly and contemplate.

Arunachala Siva. 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2614 on: November 07, 2012, 02:16:11 PM »
Dear Tusnim,

World will not disappear. It will continue to appear but as Brahma Swarupam. See the last verse of Pancharatnam.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2615 on: November 08, 2012, 07:48:25 AM »
Dear Devotees,

Sometime back, some members in the Forum advised and recommended watching the thoughts without realising that Sri Bhagwan never enjoined  practice such as watching or witnessing anything other than the Self.When I saw such advocacy for such practice in the Forum, I was taken aback. I wondered why  such ambiguity with regard to sadhana of Atma-vichara is sought to be created where there is none, in a forum which is committed to disseminate the Life and Teaching of one of the greatest Sages who ever walked on the Sacred Soil of the Mother India.
Sri Sadhu Om writes:

The practice of witnessing thoughts and events, which is much recommended nowadays by lecturers and writers, was never EVEN IN THE LEST recommended by Sri Bhagwan. Indeed, whenever He was asked what should be done when thoughts rise (that is, when attention is diverted towards second or third persons )during sadhana, He always replied in the same manner as He had done to Sri Sivaprakasam Pillai in ‘Who am I?’, where He says, “If other thoughts rise, one should, without attempting to complete them, enquire ‘To whom did they rise?’ What does it matter however many thoughts rise ?  At the very moment that each thought rises, if one vigilantly enquires ‘To whom did this rise?’, it will be known ‘To me’. If one then enquires ‘Who am I?’, the mind (our power of attention) will turn back (from the thought) to its Source (Self). Moreover, when He says later in the same work, “Not attending to what-is-other (that is, to any second or third person) is non-attachment (vairagya) or desirelessness”, we should clearly understand that attending to (WITNESSING, WATCHING, OBSERVING OR SEEING) ANYTHING OTHER THAN SELF IS ITSELF ATTACHMENT, and when we understand thus we will realize how MEANINGLESS AND IMPRACTICAL  are such instructions as ‘WATCH ALL THOUGHTS AND EVENTS WITH DETACHMENT  OR ‘WITNESS YOUR THOUGHTS, BUT BE NOT ATTACHED TO THEM, which are taught BY THE SO-CALLED GURUS OF THE PRESENT DAY.   
Source: The Path of Sri Ramana

There is no other. What appears as other is our imagination. Therefore, if we witness, watch, observe or see anything whatever other than the ATMA-SWARUPA, WHICH ALONE IS OUR NATURAL STATE, IS INDICATIVE OF THE PERSISTENCE OF THE ATTACHMENT WITH THE UNREAL.  This is not the Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan.  Mind is fond of creating confusions and relishes unravelling them. WE NEED TO BE AWARE AND A BIT WARY WHILE PRACTICING ENQUIRY.

Thanks very much.
Pranam, 
  Anil       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2616 on: November 08, 2012, 01:20:55 PM »
Dear Anil,

Yes. Sri Bhagavan never said 'watch the thoughts.'.  He said in Who am I?: As and when thoughts occur, you kill them.
So long  as there are soldiers in the fort, they will be coming out. If all are vanquished, the fort is in your hands.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2617 on: November 09, 2012, 08:11:03 AM »
Quote from Sri Tushnim:
“Humm,
as and when thoughts occur if one has to ask who am i, then one has to clearly see that the thought arose and not be inadvertent!  -- is that not observing the thought ?

Whats wrong with observing thoughts? its a good practise.
may be Bhagvan never say explicitly , coz he said something more profound!
When japa etc were fine, why would Ramana be against observing thoughts ?”

Dear Sri Tushnim,

No. I do not think that Sri Bhagwan’s Vichara requires this sort of reasoning. One pays attention to the Self knowing that there are not two selves, albeit intellectually in the beginning. But on account of inherent predispositions, one cannot remain in Self-attention for long, for thoughts are sure to arise, wrong identification sure to ensue. Self-attention is broken by the vasana-propelled thoughts, which rise inadvertently or stealthily. No, that is certainly not watching the thoughts. Thoughts rise stealthily. But since the meditation in the beginning is not unwavering and is therefore weak, thoughts win, result is one is the limited creature identifying with the body and the doership idea. Sri Bhagwan teaches that when one becomes aware that Self-attention has been lost, one should remember who one is by asking ‘Who am I?’ and come to the Atma-Swarupa, that is, the Self and remain as such for as long as possible, repeating the process as and when one is SWERVED away from the swarupa. Predispositions are gradually and progressively  destroyed, meditation gains strength, attention is steadfast and unwavering, thoughts lose strength and become weak and remain on the periphery of the consciousness, if any, without power to distract. ONE RACHES THE THOUGHTLESS AND EFFORTLESS STATE AND IN THAT STATE GURU’S GRACE OR THE SELF REVEALS ITSELF. This is the Teaching which does not require much deliberation, but requires diligent sadhana to succeed.

Dear Sri Tushnim, watching or observing thoughts may be a good practice in some other spiritual practices, but you must understand that is not the Enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan, as Sri Sadhu Om  has clarified for the simple reason shown clearly by him.

You have mentioned in your post that Sri Bhagwan did not recommend it explicitly, but He said something more profound. I do not wish to comment except that HIS MOST PROFOUND TEACHING IS SILENCE. If one has indeed reached that state, ONE SHOULD BE IT RATHER THAN ARGUING THE SAME ENDLESSLY.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2618 on: November 09, 2012, 08:12:15 AM »
Dear Devotees,

I have sufficiently recovered from the minor injuries and wounds, which I had due to road accident last week. By His Grace, my 20-days journey to South India, including a cherished  visit to Sri Bhagwan’s Shrine, commences today in the evening.  I shall not participate in any discussion  nor post anything even in this thread during this trip to South India.  However, I wish to continue, at least for some more time, to interact with you and benefit from your experiences.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2619 on: November 09, 2012, 08:23:17 AM »
Last sentence in my last post should read  “However, I wish to continue, at least for some more time, to interact with you and benefit from your experiences, after I return from this fairly long trip to South India”. Anil

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #2620 on: November 09, 2012, 08:28:57 AM »
Anil,
Wishing you safe journey and joyous moments in tiruvannamalai.
Namaskar.

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2621 on: November 09, 2012, 08:40:24 AM »
Dear Sri Anil, I am happy to hear that You recovered. Also,happy to know You are visiting Arunachala. I hope You will interact with us much longer after Your return from Ramanashram! I would like that. I read dayly Your posts,and truly enjoy in them. Have a Peaceful time with Bhagavan and safe journey!! With love and prayers,

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2622 on: November 09, 2012, 10:29:07 AM »
Anil
Happy that you have sufficiently  recovered from your accident and wish you a wonderful spiritual journey .Take Care .Om Peace .
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #2623 on: November 09, 2012, 12:36:54 PM »
all the very best anil garu.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2624 on: November 26, 2012, 12:35:57 PM »
Dear anil,

Happy that you have recovered fully from those minor injuries, just in time to visit South India, including Tiruvannamalai.

You will be there at Maha Deepam time, I hope. I wish you have more and more grace and peace in Sri Bhagavan's Presence
there.

Arunachala Siva.