Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 759339 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #2535 on: October 22, 2012, 03:09:20 PM »
Dear Anil,

An enlightened person is embodiment of Love.  His form is like that of a doll made of nectar, honey, and sugar cane juice.
Sri Bhagavan Himself says Love is another name for Peace. And Peace is Love.

Saint Manikkavachagar says: Even the gods of heaven do not know that He (Siva) is like a ripe fruit, nectar etc., But they
also know that He is rare to attain. His noble form is only nectarine love. He has taken over us, ruled over us and is available
in Uttarakosa Mangai ( a temple in Southern Tamizh Nadu), but He is also the Lord of Tiruperundurai (another Siva Temple),
where in the gardens, fruits are like honey. O Lord, tell me what service should we do? Please come before us.     

அது பழச்சுவையென அமுதென அறிதற்கு
அரிதென எளிதென அமரும் அறியார்
இது அவன் திருவுரு இவன் அவன் எனவே
எங்களை ஆண்டுகொணடு இங் கெழுந்தருளும்
மதுவளர் பொழில்திரு உத்தர கோச
மங்கையுள்ளாய்திருப் பெருந்துறை மன்னா
எதுஎமைப் பணிகொளு மாறது கேட்போம்
எம்பெருமான்பள்ளி யெழுந்தருளாயே. 374

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2536 on: October 23, 2012, 10:25:46 AM »
Because the mind branches out into innumerable thoughts, the power of attention of each thought becomes very weak. As thoughts subside more and more, the mind becomes one-pointed and thereby gains strength.
                                    Sri Bhagwan, ‘Who amI?’

Dear devotees,

Sri Bhagwan says that the mind, which is the reflection of the Self, is very great wondrous power in its pure state.  But because of its branching out into innumerable thoughts, it becomes weak.
THAT IS WHY THE CARDINAL POINT OF ALL YOGAS IS TO COLECT THE SCATTERED THOUGHTS INTO ONE AND FIX THE MIND ON THAT THOUGHT ONLY. Even in the Path of Love, the most important point is to fix the mind on one name and form of God or the Mother. Then ‘Worship’ becomes a means to focus the mind on one point, setting aside the other innumerable thoughts  in the waking state. When one has deep faith in one’s chosen Deity and says, “God is the Ordainer. He will look after everything in my life. I shouldn’t think and worry about it.”, countless unwanted and undesirable thoughts go away of their own accord. Therefore, important point even in the  Path of Bhakti or Love is to fix the mind on one name and form of God, and not change the worship from one name and form of God to another and thereby allowing the mind to branch out into so many thoughts and waver.

Sri Sadhu Om deals this topic so beautifully thus:
Composing Bhajan-slogans such as,
“Rama Krishna Namo, Rahim.
Lambodara Sri Shunmukaya,
Bhama Mary Budha Shiva,
Parvati, Allah Jesus Natha.”
mentioning all names and forms of all Gods in all religions and putting them together in the form of one verse of ‘Universal Prayer’ or ‘Japa’ and recommending all people to do Japa or recitation of it, will not be sadhana in Bhakti marga. In doing so, the mind will not become one-pointed but will become only scattered. AN INTERRELIGIOUS BHAJAN LIKE THIS CAN BE USEFUL TO A CERTAIN EXTENT TO RELIGIOUS REFORMERS AS A CONTRIVANCE TO POINT OUT THAT GOD WHO IS WORSHIPPED UNDER SO MANY NAMES AND FORMS IN DIFFERENT RELIGIONS IS ONLY ONE; to the secular masses who, not having the right discrimination, take to religious fanaticism and preaching, and who by doing so, only quarrel among themselves and waste their time and energy away.
Dear devotees, though this appears grand, one cannot gain one-pointedness of the mind, because through such practice the mind cannot cling to anyone of the names and forms God.

Sri Bhawan says that one may worship in whatever form giving whatever name. It is way to see the Supreme in that name and form (V. 8, Ulladu Narpadu), for the worship of his beloved God under a particular name and form, becomes a way for him to see the formless Supreme in that form.

Sri Sadhu Om: The right sign that one has understood that God is one only, is one’s clinging to one God only. SPELLING AND SINGING SO MANY DIFFERENT NAMES OF GOD ONLY BETRAYS THE LACK OF FAITH AND UNDERSTANDING OF THE ONENESS OF GOD !

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2537 on: October 23, 2012, 11:05:20 AM »
Dear Anil,

That is why the concept of Istha Devata (chosen God) came into practice in Hinduism. The Ishta Devata is prayed to, so that the devotee
would concentrate on one Name and this Name would take him to formless One in due course.

Sri Bhagavan had said to one Rama Sastri when the latter asked what japa should he do. Sri Bhagavan knew that he was doing
Rama Japa already. He said: Your name itself is Rama Sastri. You do only Rama Japa. He did not want to disturb the eka nama japa of the
devotee.

Arunachala Siva.     

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2538 on: October 23, 2012, 03:39:54 PM »
Dear Sri Tushnim,

Bhagwan Sri Ramana is God. He is not the body, He is the Self, and the Self always remains actionless.  Yes, He is not the doer. All actions happen in His Presence, all activities take place in His Presence, but He is not the doer.  All activities, such as teaching—in silence or by the spoken words, eating, speaking, cutting vegetables, etc., et al, are taking place in His presence in the same way as world activities are taking place in the presence of the sun.  Is Lord Sri Dakshinamurti, the Self or Lord Shiva Himself, acting while teaching in Silence Lord Brahma’s sons?
Is the sun acting? If the sun is not acting, Sri Bhagwan, likewise, is not acting, though to onlookers, He may appear to be engaged in myriad activities.
Dear Sri Tushnim, I feel that it is futile to keep harping back to the State of a Jnani from the state of relativity. A Jnani’s State can be comprehensible to only Jnanis. For instance, Sri Bhagwan has said that the Jnani’s mind is dead but a Pure mind for the Jnani is conceded as a concession to the kind of argument we ourselves are prone to get engaged in. It is also said that the ‘thinker’ in a Jnani is dead and His is a thought-free state. But to account for His activities, it is said that only functional thoughts arise in Jnani, as and when required or ordained, have their stay according to the necessity, and go away without causing imprints and further bondage.   
Dear Sri Tushnim, I do not mean to say that one should not at all try to have intellectual understanding of the Jnani’s State, but my submission is that we should endeavour to realise our Permanent Natural State and be it by the Grace of the Guru and the sadhana taught by Him rather than keep arguing ad nauseam whether the Jnani has mind or whether He has thoughts.

Dear Tushnim, I respect very much your views and understanding and feel that they may be helpful to some seekers in certain stage of their sadhana. But has not Sri Bhagwan said that it is impossible after a certain State to bring in thoughts just as it is very difficult in the state of relativity to stop them ?

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2539 on: October 23, 2012, 03:50:38 PM »
Dear Anil,

Once Sri Bhagavan said that a Jnani's state is known only to another Jnani. But these cannot be expressed, since both the Jnanis
are one and the only Self and that there is no 'second' about which one can give views. For an Ajnani, the Jnani's state can never
be understood unless he himself attains that state of Jnana. So both ways it is impossible.

Then how does a Jnani understand a Jnana Guru? In the latter's presence, he gets immense peace and he feels that his thoughts
have melted at least, at the time of his stay with Him.

One Mr. Murray Feldman writes in his article on Viswanatha Swami: 

"....He (Viswanatha Swami) represented Him (Sri Bhagavan) in such a beautiful and true way. His love for Sri Bhagavan and His teachings were evident in his words and he often mentioned how still and beautiful Sri Bhagavan was. During those two months
effortless peace became my (author's) constant companion....."

Arunachala Siva.   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2540 on: October 23, 2012, 04:23:27 PM »
Quote from Sri Subramanian Sir:
“Once Sri Bhagavan said that a Jnani's state is known only to another Jnani. But these cannot be expressed, since both the Jnanis
are one and the only Self and that there is no 'second' about which one can give views. For an Ajnani, the Jnani's state can never
be understood unless he himself attains that state of Jnana. So both ways it is impossible.

Then how does a Jnani understand a Jnana Guru? In the latter's presence, he gets immense peace and he feels that his thoughts
have melted at least, at the time of his stay with Him.”

Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

Ji. Yes. It must be impossible both ways.  A  JNANI  KNOWING  ANOTHER  JNANI  IS  OF  NO  HELP  TO  AN  AJNANI.  Therefore, for ajnani, by the peace of mind that he experiences in the Presence of a Jnani, he understands and knows INTUITIVELY that he is in the Presence of an Enlightened Sage.  THE IMMENSE PEACE THAT HE DERIVES IN HIS PRESENCE IS POSSIBLE ONLY BECAUSE HIS THOUGHTS HAVE MELTED, ALBEIT TEMPORARILY, DURING HIS STAY WITH HIM.  That Inner Peace is always available if one remembers Him with unwavering Love and Devotion in the heart. That Immense Peace is palpable in Sri Ramanasramam and Sri Arunachala.
 Ji. Yes. This is nice post. Thanks very much, sir.

Pranam,
  Anil     

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2541 on: October 24, 2012, 09:11:45 AM »
Dear Devotees,

Sri Rajeshwarananda once planned to take a big party with Sri Bhagwan in their midst.
Sri Bhagwan: I did not consent to go and the thing had to be dropped. What is there I could go and see?  I  SEE NOHING. What is the use of my going anywhere?
Sri  Devaraja Mudaliar has mentioned that this is one of self-revealing statements, which sometimes escape Sri Bhagwan’s lips.
Source: Day by Day with Bhagwan
Dear devotees, Sri Bhagwan sees, but His is the Eye of Realisation. Sri Bhagwan has taught that with ‘Eye of Realisation’, everything appears as the Self.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2542 on: October 24, 2012, 09:14:37 AM »
The Sage Dadhyangatharvana, who had experienced the Bliss of the Self, once said that Indra enjoys his wife, Ayirani, is not better than the pleasure enjoyed by a dog with the bitch.
V. 582, GVK, Tr. Sri Sadhu Om
The Sage is said to have advised Indra, King of Heavens, as above so that the latter might gain desirelessness.

For a ravenous hunger, even a gruel of broken rice or a porridge of wild-rice flour will be the most delicious food. Therefore, in this world, the cause of pleasure lies not in the of the sense-objects, BUT ONLY IN THE INTENSITY OF DESIRE FOR IT.
V. 583, GVK, Tr. Sri Sadhu Om   

That which exists (Sat) itself is Consciousness (Chit). The Consciousness itself is Bliss (Ananda). Deriving pleasure from other things is mere delusion, that is, the pleasure we suppose we derive from other things is illusory, false. Tell me, except in the clear and real Self-existence, can there be real happiness in the imaginary sense-objects?
V. 584, GVK, Tr. Sri Sadhu Om

A foolish dog crunchingly munching a dry bone with its teeth, making its mouth bleed with wounds and enjoying its own blood, praises, “Nothing will be as tasty as this bone,”
V. 585, GVK, Tr. Sri Sadhu Om

Dear Devotees,

There is consensus that the happiness is our real nature and happiness reins when thoughts subside. So, thoughts are the veil that covers our inherent happiness. When this veil is removed, happiness is revealed.
Waves after waves of thoughts rise which are the thoughts of either ‘like’ or ‘dislike’ for a particular thing or event. We daily experience that if the thought wave that rises is one of dislike for a particular thing of a particular taste, the removal of that thing calms down the thought-wave and the mind subsides. THEN THE HAPPINESS, WHICH IS VERILY OUR REAL NATURE, IS REVEALED. Other way, if the thought-wave is one of a liking for a thing of a particular taste, when we get that sought after thing the thought-wave calms down and the mind subsides; and AGAIN OUR OWN INNATE HAPPINESS IS REVEALED.

Therefore, if we keenly observe, it becomes crystal-clear that happiness is experienced only by quietening the thoughts which rise again and again. It is immaterial whether a thing is sweet or bitter.  THE RISING OF THOUGHT-WAVES IN THE FORM OF ‘LIKES’ AND ‘DISLIKES’ FOR WORLDLY THINGS ALONE IS WHAT IS CALLED SORROW AND PAIN, AND THEIR SUBSIDENCE  ALONE IS HAPPINESS, BLISS. THAT IS ALL.

Dear devotees, THERE IS NO REAL HAPPINESS IN THE RELATIVE WORLD. THERE CAN BE NO REAL HAPPINESS IN THE IMAGINARY SENSE-OBJECTS. HAPPINESS LIES IN CLEAR AND REAL SELF-EXISTENCE.
Since we ourselves are happiness, all we have to do to enjoy our innate happiness is to ward off all thoughts. If we can do this, happiness enjoyed in deep sleep on account of its thought-free nature  can also be enjoyed in a thought-free waking state.
Dear devotees, it is high time to change our ignorant outlook that happiness is derived from the external sources. If the mind is firmly and thoroughly convinced, through such intense scrutiny, that location of happiness is within and not without and that one’s innate nature is Bliss Itself, it will not then run outwards but towards oneself. IN OTHER WORDS, IT WILL SEEK AND REMAIN IN THE SELF.
THEREFORE, SELF-EXISTENCE IS THE GOAL. REST EVERYTHING ELSE IS SECONDARY.
Such understanding and knowledge are said to be sine-qua-non for effectively controlling the mind.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil                     

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2543 on: October 24, 2012, 09:58:58 AM »
Dear devotees, a few words were left out by mistake in the V. 582 & 583 of the GVK contained in my last post.
The correct form of the said Verses is as follows:

“The Sage Dadhyangatharvana, who had experienced the bliss of the Self, once said, “The pleasure that Indra enjoys with his wife, Ayirani, is not better than the pleasure enjoyed by a dog with its bitch.”
V. 582, GVK,

“For a ravenous hunger, even a gruel of broken rice or a porridge of wild-rice flour will be the most delicious food. Therefore, in this world, the cause of pleasure lies not in the nature of the sense-objects, but only in the intensity of desire for it.”
V. 583, GVK
Thanks very much.
Anil     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2544 on: October 24, 2012, 11:03:55 AM »
Dear Anil,

Yes. The bliss of the Self is unmatched. Its beauty is unmatched. No pleasure, no beauty of the world in the form of food, sex,
learning, gold, properties etc., cannot match the bliss of bliss.                           

Guru Ramana Vachana Mala says: (para 34): Once upon a time Dadhyangatharvana, a Rishi who had realized the Self said:

"A dog enjoys wit a bitch the same pleasure that Indra enjoys with Indrani, his consort.

All worldly pleasures are transient. They are very ordinary. The bliss of the Self is unmatched, eternal and supreme, Nothing of the
worldly pleasures can compared with it.

Arunachala Siva. 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2545 on: October 25, 2012, 11:26:44 AM »
Just as a clear prism appears to be red when it is near a red flower, so Chit appears to be chittam when it is near but not truly associated with the worldly tendencies. The chittam will remain and shine as the Supreme Chit alone, if the syllable ‘-tam’, which represents the impurity, maya is removed.
                                                              V. 244, GVK, Tr. Sri Sadhu Om

Dear Subramanian Sir,

Ji. Yes. But we do not believe sufficiently enough that the source of all happiness is within and not without.
The above cited Verse enlightens us about the nature of the mind in true perspective. We have understood that the mind in its purity is verily the ‘Chit’ or Pure Consciousness. When the impurities of ‘I’ and ‘mine’ are superimposed on the ‘Chit’ or the Consciousness, THE CHIT OR THE CONSCIOUSNESS APPEARS TO BE CHITTAM OR THE MIND. IF THESE IMPURITIES WHICH FORM THE ‘TAM’ IN ‘CHITTAM’ ARE REMOVED, ‘CHITTAM’ WILL REMAIN AS ‘CHIT’ OR PURE CONSCIOUSNESS WHICH IT REALLY EVER IS. 
Dear sir, we, devotees of Bhagwan Sri Ramana, are aware, by His Grace, that ‘I’ and its possessive form ‘mine’ are the ROOT IMPURITIES. ARE WE NOT? All other impurities, such as, lust, anger, greed, hatred, etc., et al, are dependent for their apparent existence of these two root impurities. Even out of these two, the possessive form ‘mine’ can have an existence only because of ‘I’. In other words, we can say that when there is no ‘I’, there is no ‘mine’ either.
Sri Bhawan has taught that in its pure nature, ‘I’ is the Self, it is taken to be impure ego because of the attributes which are foreign to real ‘I’ and experienced as ‘I am a man, I am so and so, etc.’ Therefore, the attributes appended to ‘I AM’ are alone the root impurity.
TILL THIS IMPURITY IS REMOVED, THE SLEF (EXISTENCE-CONSCIOUSNESS-BLISS) IS WHAT IS CALLED EGO AND THE PURPOSE OF YOGA IS ONLY TO REMOVE THIS ROOT IMPURITY.       
The impurity in the possessive form ‘mine’ is gross whereas impurity in the form of ‘I’ is subtle.

Dear  sir, the methods of removing the impurity must vary according to the maturity of the seekers. Different Yogas have been framed and are taught for the purpose of removing the impurities only. Sri Bhagwan taught the Paths of Enquiry and Surrender for the purpose.
To attain the Self or Brahman or Existence-Consciousness-Bliss (Sat-Chit-Ananda), CONSCIOUSNESS and BLISS THEMSELVES act as two Paths to reach the SUPREME EXISTENCE or SUPREME SAT. 
IN OTHER WORDS, CONSCIOUSNESS (CHIT) AND BLISS (ANANDA OR PRIYA) ARE THEMSELVES THE TWO PATHS TO REACH THE SUPREME EXISTENCE.   
THE PATH OF CONSCIOUSNESS IS THE PATH OF KNOWLEDGE.
THE PATH OF BLISS (ANANDA OR PRIYA) IS THE PATH OF LOVE OR THE PATH OF BHAKTI.
Sri Sadhu Om: to say the truth, Brahman, the Sat itself stretches its two arms—CONSCIOUSNESS (CHIT) and BLISS (ANANDA)—to draw us to itself or in other words lays ITSELF down under our feet as the Path of Knowledge and the Path of Love for us to tread upon.
THUS THE HOLY WORDS, “I AM THE PATH AND I AM THE GOAL’ ARE PROVED.
THE PATH  IS TO  ATTEND  TO ‘I AM’ AND THE GOAL IS TO REMAIN AS ‘I AM’!

Thanks very much, sir.
Pranam,
  Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2546 on: October 25, 2012, 12:54:20 PM »
Dear anil,

Yes, Sri Bhagavan says in Verse 33 of Devi Kalottaram

Due to sleep and due to thoughts, the mind always loses its sharpness, its foolishness increases, and it goes to ruin.
Awakening this mind, with effort, and without allowing it to wander, establish it in the state of Self. Persevere in this effort,
by fixing the mind again and again in its natural state with the Self.

Arunachala Siva.     

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2547 on: October 25, 2012, 03:41:20 PM »
Quote from Sri Tushnim:
“Mind is calm and i say i am calm. Mind is agitated and I say I am agitated: does this not mean I identify with mind ?

Love!
Silence”

Dear Sri Tushnim,

Sri Muruganar has sung that the syllable ‘tam’ in the word ‘chittam’ represents the defilement by sense objects that is maya, a superimposition that appears to exist like the red colour that appears in a transparent , colourless crystal when it is adjacent to a red flower.
Sri Muruganar further says that ‘chittam’, when freed from the defilement ‘tam’, becomes ‘Chit’, the unique and transcendental Being-Consciousness.

SUCH  IS  OUR  STATE OR PREDICAMENT!
Dear Sri Tushnim, I feel that I understand what you are driving at or trying to convey. But kindly tell me, can this defilement by sense objects, which is an ancient superimposition, go away by mere wishful thinking, unless one is ‘kritopasaka’, that is, unless one has overcome his predispositions by steady devotion, either in this birth or in previous births, and thus his mind made pure, has had even some kind of experience although without comprehending it? Yes, such a mature sadhaka realises the Self as soon as he is instructed by a competent Master, because he has already put in the required effort. Moreover, Grace of the Guru or God is the primary cause and Sri Bhagwan has enlightened that effort is sine-qua-non, for Grace and effort act and react on each other resulting in the permanent abidance in Supreme Silence of the Self.
Dear  Sri Tushnim, the identification you are talking about is ancient, persisting from time immemorial and so it would not go away by mere wishful thinking.
For instance, in the above simile, transparent, colourless crystal appears red   because of its background. If the background is removed the crystal again shines in its original purity. So also, it is with the Self and the superimposition or defilement. But Sri Bhagwan Himself has pointed out that this illustration is not quite appropriate. WHY?
BECAUSE  EGO  HAS  ITS  SOURCE  FROM  THE  SELF  AND  IS  NOT  SEPARATE  LIKE  THE  BACKGROUND  FROM  THE  CRYSTAL  IN  THE  ABOVE  SIMILE  OR  COMPARISON.
SRI BHAGWAN:  HAVING    ITS  SOURCE  FROM  THE  SELF,  THE  EGO  MUST  BE  RETRACED  IN  ORDER  THAT  IT  MIGHT  MERGE  IN  ITS  SOURCE.
ATTENDING TO ‘I AM’ IS THE PATH, REMAING AS ‘IAM’ IS THE GOAL. Self-attention till the very end is graced and not mere wishful thinking that I am free.

Thanks very much
Pranam,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2548 on: October 25, 2012, 04:20:53 PM »
Quote from Sri Tushnim:
“why label it as wishful thinking sir?
where did i say one should have wishful thinking ? We should not jump to such conclusions.”

Dear Sri Tushnim,

No, sir. You didn’t say that one should have wishful thinking.

I am saying that wrong identification which is persisting from time immemorial, and is therefore ancient, cannot go away by mere wishful thinking, but requires proper effort or sadhana as taught by a competent master. How else will one realise the Guru’s Grace?  AND IN THE ABSENCE OF GURU’S GRACE HOW CAN ONE REALISE THE SELF OR THE SWARUPA?  REMEMBER GRACE IS THE PRIMARY CAUSE. Limited jiva with his limited effort cannot achieve the INFINITE.
SRI BHAGWAN HAS TAUGHT ONE INFALLIBLE METHOD.  Sri Bhagwan has taught that the ego has its Source from the Self, and therefore it must only be traced in order that it might merge in its Source.
In the light of the above discussion, my submission is only this that SADHANA   AS  TAUGHT  BY  SRI  BHAGWAN  IS  AN  INFAALIBLE  METHOD  AND SINE-QUA-NON FOR HIS DEVOTEES, IF THEIR GOAL IS SELF-AWARENESS. Nothing more and nothing less I have been telling all along.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2549 on: October 26, 2012, 10:14:56 AM »
Quote from Sri Subramanian Sir:
“Awakening this mind, with effort, and without allowing it to wander, establish it in the state of Self. Persevere in this effort,
by fixing the mind again and again in its natural state with the Self.”

Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

Ji. Yes. This is the Path and this is the practice.
Without allowing it to wander, establishing it in the State of the Self and persevering in this effort, that is, fixing the mind again and again in its Natural State, are the right sadhana. Sri Bhagwan has enlightened that seeking the Source of the mind and merging into It are the proper way of controlling the mind.

Thanks very much, sir.
Pranam,
  Anil