Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 759026 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #2460 on: October 12, 2012, 07:27:11 PM »
Dear Nagaraj and Anil,

Sri Bhagvan said: (while talking about Vivekachoodamani): Sri Sankra opens the theme by observing that it is hard indeed to attain
a human birth, and one should ( having attained it) strive for realization of the bliss of liberation, which is verily the nature of one's
Being. By Jnana or Knowledge alone is this bliss is realized, and Jnana is achieved only through Vichara or steady inquiry. In order
to know this method of enquiry, one should seek the favor of a Guru...One's own individual effort is an essential factor. Mere book learning
never yields this bliss which can be realized only through inquiry, which consists of sravana, manana and nidhidhyasana. Talks 349.

Arunachala Siva.         

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2461 on: October 12, 2012, 07:38:32 PM »
Dear Anil,

Saint Manikkavachagar says: I have been deluded in this world with my wealth, my women, my children, my caste, my learning.
But in  this mad mad world - I cannot over come death with these.  You have removed this delusion. Siva! the wonderful god,
O Queen Bee, go and tell this to Siva.

வைத்த நிதிபெண்டிர் மக்கள்குலங் கல்வியென்னும்
பித்த உலகிற் பிறப்போ டிறப்பென்னுஞ்
சித்த விகாரக் கலக்கம் தெளிவித்த
வித்தகத் தேவற்கே சென்றூதாய் கோத்தும்பீ. 220

Arunachala Siva.

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2462 on: October 12, 2012, 07:53:37 PM »
Dear friends,

I believe that nothing can be taken like some ultimate rule,what is needed for Realisation. For me,all books are speaking same truth,only our looking on that is different. And with books and no books,it doasnt metter. Our longing and motive are important,no matter what we do or not do. That depends only on individual,and what is needed in his particular case. We need to follow our heart only,or our Guru words if we chose to. But i think that is exsactly what our heart is telling us! Because,we all are holding to that approach which was useful for us in the first place,and we think it is the best. And it is,but only in our case only.

My thinking is that all that need to be used in some particular moment. But,again,it is all very unique and different for every person. I also believe,that in some case,nothing need to be used at all. So,for me all approaches are correct and good. Just,everyone need to apply what he find it is good for him.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2463 on: October 12, 2012, 08:53:06 PM »
Dear Nagaraj,

Only one point of clarification. Saint Manikkavachagar and Sri Jnana Sambandhar etc., have indirectly shown their realization
in their first verse itself. Saint M. says - imaippozhuthum en nenjil neengAthan thAL vAzhga in Siva Puranam beginning itself.
This shows their realization has already happened. Not even for a wink of eye you do not go away from my Heart. Saint Tiru
says in his first verse, thodudaiya seviyan...... en uLLam kavar kaLvan... He uses the same word ULLam of Sri Bhagavan.
Siva has thieved his Heart and taken stay in it.  So all these saints have only sung what they got alreay. The remaining poems are
only for the sake of devotees and ardent seekers. PeRRathai pAdinAgal.......

Arunachala Siva. 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2464 on: October 13, 2012, 11:44:08 AM »
Dear Devotees,

Bhagwan Sri Ramana, for me, is Brahma, Vishnu, Mahesh, Father, Mother,  Ramayan,  Mahabharat, all Vedanta, all shastras, all scriptures, all books, all gods, all goddesses, all world, everything there is.
I joined this forum to remain always established to His Feet. I WISH TO TALK ABOUT HIS LIFE, HIS TEACHING, SADHANA  AS TAUGHT BY HIM AND HIS DEVOTEES.  NOTHING ELSE. YES. NOTHING ELSE WHAT SO EVER I WISH TO TALK AND DISCUSS.  BHAGWAN  SRI TAMANA IS ALL  SHASTRAS FOR ME.  I CANNOT SAY FOR OTHERS. Therefore, they can talk as they wish. But I request every member in this forum to kindly post under this thread what is relevant to Sri Bhagwan’s Life, His devotees, and His Teaching only.

Thanks very much.

Pranam,
  Anil         

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2465 on: October 13, 2012, 11:50:10 AM »
Saralacintanam viralatah param.
Ajyadharaya srotasa samam

Like the flow of ghee or like the flow of a stream, continuous (natural) meditation is better than broken or intermittent meditation.
                                                                 V. 7, Upadesa Saram

Dear Devotees,

Synonym for ‘ghee’ in Sanskrit is ‘sneha’ or ‘priya’ or friendship. Therefore, it follows that our meditation, that is, a single thought stream or Self-attention should be maintained WITH LOVE FOR GOD, AND NOT MECHANICALLY.
The traditional simile generally used for continuous meditation is ‘the pouring of oil’. The reason for this departure from the traditional simile and comparison to the flow of ghee is to indicate the sticking endearment of relationship in the form of love and devotion during meditation/Enquiry. The other simile used in the Verse is the comparison to the stream of water which indicates immaculate purity. Flow of a river is self-purifying as it flows.

Therefore, in the ‘sarala’ or continuous and unbroken type of meditation, a single thought current or the Self-attention is maintained and no intrusion of thought is allowed. On the contrary, in the ‘virala’ or broken or intermittent type, meditation/Self-attention is broken by intrusion of thoughts.
So, Sri Bhagwan teaches that out meditation/Self-attention should be of the ‘sarala’ or unbroken  type—natural and spontaneous and not laboured and imposed.

Dear devotees, it follows from the above discussion that our effort to meditate or investigate should continue always, unbroken, except the time when one is sleeping.
JUST  LIKE  THE RIVER  WHICH  IS  EVER  FLOWING  TOWARDS  THE  OCEAN,  OUR AWARENESS  SHOULD  FLOW  UNBROKEN.  Allocating a certain fixed time for meditation/enquiry is for novice. The meditation on the Self therefore should always go on irrespective of whether one is working, walking, eating, etc.  IT  SHOULD  BE  NATURALLY AND  SPONTANEOUSLY  FLOWING  LIKE THE FLOW OF ENDEARING  GHEE  OR  LIKE A PURE,  IMMACULATE  STREAM.

Thanks very much.

Pranam,
  Anil         

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2466 on: October 13, 2012, 12:33:39 PM »
Dear Sri Nagaraj,

Thanks very much.

I shall remain always grateful for this kind act.

Pranam,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2467 on: October 13, 2012, 03:53:07 PM »
Dear Devotees,

I would like to draw your attention to the first post under this thread, which is an excerpt from the beautiful book ‘Surging Joy’ by Dr. Sarada. I consider Dr. Sarada’s insights invaluable for the devotes of Sri Bhagwan. The excerpt is as follows:
Dr.Sarada asked Sri Muruganar on a visit, "Is it enough if I think of Bhagwan as my Guru and practice Self-enquiry?”
On hearing the question Muruganar was deeply moved. He went red in face and his voice choked with emotion as he said, “ENOUGH! ENOUGH! CENT PERCENT SUFFICIENT.”
After a moment's pause he added, “MORE THAN HUNDRED PER CENT SUFFICIENT.”
He then stressed that Bhagwan is the only everlasting illumination within us and that His Presence is the only Existence everywhere for all time.

YES. I  AM  ALSO  DEEPLY   AWARE  THAT  THINKING  OF  SRI  BHAGWAN  AS  THE  GURU,  AND  PRACTICING  SELF-ENQUIRY  AS  TAUGHT  BY  HIM,  IS  ENOUGH, NAY,  MORE THAN HUNDRED  PERCENT  SUFFICIENT.

Thanks very much.

Pranam,
  Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2468 on: October 13, 2012, 03:58:40 PM »
Dear Anil,

Yes. Doing Self Inquiry with Sri Bhagavan in your Heart, you will feel absolute peace and His grace will automatically help you in
progress in self inquiry and eventual self realization.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2469 on: October 14, 2012, 11:40:05 AM »
Dear Devotees,

What follows is a conversation from ‘Letters from Sri Ramanasramam’:

Sri Bhagwan: Ananda (Supreme Bliss) always exists. It is only the worldly things that have to be given up. If they are given up, what remains is only Bliss. That which IS, is the Self. Where is the question of catching that which IS. That is one’s own nature.
Devotee: Is the nature also called Swarupa (The Self)?
Sri Bhagwan : Yes. There is no difference between the two.
Devotee: If it is said that Ananda is the Self itself, then who is it that experiences it?
Sri Bhagwan : That is the point. So long as there is one who experiences, IT SHALL HAVE TO BE STATED THAT ANANDA IS THE SELF ITSELF. WHEN THERE IS NO ONE TO EXPERIENCE, WHERE IS THE QUESTION OF A FORM FOR ANANDA? IT IS ONLY THAT WHICH ‘IS’ REMAINS. THAT IS ANANDA. That is the Self. So long as the feeling that the Self is different from oneself there will be one WHO ENQUIRES AND EXPERIENCES, BUT WHEN ONE REALISES THE SELF THER WILL BE NO ONE TO EXPERIENCE. Who is there to ask? What is there to say? In common parlance, however, we shall have to say that Bliss is the Self or is our real nature (SWARUPA).

Devotee: That is all right, Swami. But, however much we try, this mind does not get under control and ENVELOPS THE SWARUPA SO THAT IT IS NOT PERCEPTIBLE TO US. What is to be done?

Dear devotees, Sri Bhagwan smiled and placed His little finger over His eye and said, “Look. THIS LITTLE FINGER COVERS THE EYE AND PREVENTS THE WHOLE WORLD FROM BEING SEEN.”

Dear devotees, LIKEWISE, SRI BHAGWAN TAUGHT THAT THIS SMALL MIND COVERS THE WHOLE UNIVERSE AND PREVENTS THE BRAHMAN FROM BEING SEEN. SUCH IS THE POWER OF THIS SMALL MIND !

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2470 on: October 14, 2012, 12:58:11 PM »
Dear Anil,

Yes. If the mind is killed, then we do not experience Ananda but become Ananda Itself. It is not something like tasting sugar.
It is like becoming sugar.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2471 on: October 14, 2012, 04:22:03 PM »
Sri Bhagwan:
“So long as the feeling that the Self is different from oneself there will be one WHO ENQUIRES AND EXPERIENCES, BUT WHEN ONE REALISES THE SELF THER WILL BE NO ONE TO EXPERIENCE. Who is there to ask? What is there to say? In common parlance, however, we shall have to say that Bliss is the Self or is our real nature (SWARUPA).”

Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

Ji. Yes. Thanks very much, sir.
I feel that the State of Being being discussed currently is indescribable. It will be mere play of words. I also feel that in the State of being it is not important whether thoughts are arising or not. What is important is this that a thought arising should not have power to distract and make one the mind. And, so, if identification ceases one remains as the Self. Sri Bhagwan said that it is said, “Know that I am God” and not “Think that I am God”. I feel that when one realises the Self and remains as the Self, such questions will not arise at all. FOR WHO IS THERE TO ASK? FOR WHO IS THERE TO SAY.

Pranam,
  Anil 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2472 on: October 15, 2012, 09:57:49 AM »
Those who take to the pure path of Self-enquiry are never derailed, like the sun, THIS SUPREMELY DIRECT PATH REVEALS TO THEM ITS OWN UNCHALLENGEABLE CLARITY AND UNIQUENESS.
                                                     V. 393, GVK, Tr. Sri Sadhu Om

Sri Muruganar: Unlike karma, bhakti, yoga, etc., which critically analysed, have to yield to the other paths, changing their course and bending a bit, Self-enquiry never has to yield and change its course, because of uniqueness of Self.

Dear Devotees,

If Bhagwan Sri Ramana abides in the Heart of a devotee, and he pursues Enquiry with full faith in its efficacy, and with enthusiasm and steadfastness, I am more than cent percent certain that one has no chance of getting derailed. Why? Because this supremely beneficial Path itself shows to the earnest seekers its UNCHALLENGEABLE CLARITY AND UNIQUNESS, AS THE GREAT POET SRI MURUGANAR SANG.
Dear devotees, when one gets rooted in Self-attention, and if this rootedness in Self-attention becomes one’s prema and dharma, who cares for the thoughts? Why this confusion is being sought to be created where there is none? WHERE IS THE SCOPE FOR SUCH ENDLESS ARGUMENT WITH REGARD TO SELF-ENQUIRY AS TAUGHT BY SRI BHAGWAN?

SRI ANNAMALAI SWAMI:   
“Mind is only a collection of thoughts and the thinker who thinks them. The thinker is the ‘I’-thought, the primal thought which rises from the Self before all others, which identifies with all other thoughts and says, ‘I am this body’. When you have eradicated all thoughts except for the thinker himself by ceaseless enquiry  or by refusing to give them any attention, the ‘I’-thought sinks into the Heart and surrenders, leaving behind it only an awareness of consciousness. THIS SURRENDER WILL ONLY TAKE PLACE WHEN THE ‘I’-THOUGHT HAS CEASED TO IDENTIFY WITH RISING THOUGHTS. WHILE THERE ARE STILL STRAY THOUGHTS WHICH ATTRACT OR EVADE YOUR ATTENTION, THE ‘I’-THOUGHT WILL ALWAYS BE DIRECTING ITS ATTENTION OUTWARDS RATHER THAN INWARDS. The purpose of Self-enquiry is to make the ‘I’-thought move inwards, towards the Self. THIS WILL HAPPEN AUTOMATICALLY AS SOON AS YOU CEASE TO BE INTERESTED IN ANY OF YOUR RISING THOUGHTS.”

Dear Devotees, SRI BHAGWAN’S TEACHING CULMINATES IN SRI SWAMI’S REALISATION SO WONDERFULLY. I am certain that for those who practice Enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan, with love, enthusiasm and steadfastness, the above teaching has no ambiguity whatsoever.
DEAR DEVOTEES, MIND IT. EVEN IF THERE IS A SINGLE STRAY THOUGHT WHICH ATTRACT OR EVADE YOUR ATTENTION, THE ‘I’-THOUGHT WILL ALWAYS BE DIRECTING ITS ATTENTION OUTWARDS RATHER THAN INWARDS. THEREFORE, FOR THE PURPOSE OF SADHANA WHAT IS OF UTMOST IMPORTANCE, IN MY VIEW, IS ONE SHOULD REMAIN IN SELF-ATTENTION SUCH THAT ALL THOUGHTS ARE ERADICATED  AND  STRAY THOUGHTS  ARISING (if at all) SHOULD NOT HAVE POWER EITHER TO ATTRAC OR EVADE ONE’S ATTRACTION.   
Dear devotees, having said as I have said, I wish to request all those who have not in all earnestness practiced the Great Path and reached some quiescence, should not kindly make some serious comments on the Path, merely on the strength of reading or learnedship, for it may create doubts in the minds of the earnest seekers.

Thanks very much.

Pranam,
  Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2473 on: October 15, 2012, 11:48:31 AM »
Dear Anil,

Yes. This is what Sri Bhagavan said precisely in Upadesa Saram, Verse 10:

Absorption in the heart of being,
Whence we sprang,
Is the path of action, of devotion,
Of union and of knowledge.

The bullock cart can never pass the toll gate, without paying toll.

Arunachala Siva.   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2474 on: October 15, 2012, 02:37:31 PM »
Quote:
“The bullock cart can never pass the toll gate, without paying toll.”

Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

Ji. Yes.
“Because reality is only one, true jnana-yoga is the direct path. BECAUSE THERE IS NO DUALITY, THERE IS NO OTHER PATH.” (Padamalai)
Sri Muruganar says that since one has to take to atleast a little of Self-attention in order to reach the final Goal, even though one may have been advancing through some other path , this Path is called the Supreme Path by Sri Bhagwan. THIS PATH IS COMPARED TO THE SUN. THEREFORE, IN THIS PATH THE SELF IS THE SUN AND THE PATH OF THE ENQUIRY TO BE ITS RAY.
In all other paths, fundamental question (Who am I?) remains to be tackled at the end of the sadhana. Therefore, why not take up that fundamental question from the very beginning?

Ji. Yes. If we wish to cross the toll gate, paying the toll is inescapable.

Thanks very much, sir.

Pranam,
  Anil