Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 757589 times)

Ravi.N

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #2445 on: October 11, 2012, 10:21:31 PM »
Anil/Subramanian,

"So, how the state of being Supreme has come to the Lord?

Sri Muruganar sings: His naturally remaining at such a pinnacle of meekness that nothing can be meeker than Himself, the State of being Supreme has come to the Lord".

Bhagavan is Bhagavan!

Namaskar.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2446 on: October 12, 2012, 08:35:37 AM »
Dear Devotees,

The Quest for the real Self consists in gathering together all the energies of the body and the mind by banishing all alien thoughts, and then directing all those energies saved into a single current, namely the resolve to find the answer to the question ‘Who am I?, or ‘Whence am I?’. This resolve and devotion to finding the Real Self, by the ingathering of all the vital and mental energies, and directing them Heartwards, is the dynamic element in the Great Quest without which there can be no diving in the Heart. This resolve is verily implied by the question ‘Who am I?’, or ‘Whence am I?’.

We are continuously radiating a mental energy which affects everything and everyone around us. By the world seen is implied merely a reflection of our gunas, our own state of the mind. We see the reflection, forgetting the mirror, and imagine that we are looking at a real world which is separate and apart from us.
Most minds are like wet wood: they need a long period of drying out before they catch fire. While your mind is on the Self it is drying out. When it is on the world it is getting wet again. THE EFFORT ONE EXPENDS IN KEEPING THE MIND TURNED TOWARDS THE SELF IS NEVER WASTED. It is only wasted when one loses interest and reverts back to one’s old mental habits. Hopes, worries, likes and dislikes are the accumulated energy in the mind. Once one begins to stabilise in the State of Oneness, hopes, worries, likes and dislikes which are causing so much trouble now will fade away. When there are no hopes, worries, likes and dislikes, outward moving energy in one’s mind fades away and mind will not move away from its Source and disturb one’s peace.
When one is following the sadhana of the Atma-Vichara, as taught by Sri Bhagwan, one should not worry if one’s efforts do not produce immediate results, for the mind is so enmeshed in illusion it is incapable of determining whether or not it is making any progress. One needs to carry on with one’s sadhana without expecting immediate results and need not be worried by the lack of them.
Dear devotees, Sri Bhagwan has taught us that the Self always remains single and unbroken. It is our defective vision and our misconceptions which give us the impression that the One has become many. The Self has never undergone any change or transformation except in our imagination. The rope has never undergone any change or transformation except in our imagination.
When we identify ourselves with the body and the mind, the one appears to become many. WHEN ONE’S ENERGY IS DIVERTED FROM THE MIND AND THE OUTSIDE WORLD TOWARDS THE SELF, THE ILLUSION OF MULTIPLICITY FADES AWAY.

Dear devotees, one should go deeply into this feeling of ‘I’. ONE SHOULD BE AWARE OF IT SO STRONGLY AND SO INTENSELY THAT NO OTHER THOUGHTS HAVE THE ENERGY TO ARISE AND DISTRACT US. IF WE HOLD THIS FEELING OF ‘I’ LONG ENOUGH AND STRONGLY ENOUGH, THE FALSE ‘I’ WILL VANISH LEAVING ONLY THE UNBROKEN AWARENESS OF THE REAL, IMMANENT ‘I’, THAT IS, CONSCIOUSNESS ITSELF. One needs to reach the Centre of ‘I Am’ and be aware of It as It really is.
We say that we attend to the Self or move away from It. Sri Annamalai Swami says that if one has the correct awareness of the Centre, the Heart, one understands that there is no coming or going, no attending , no movement away and no change. 

Thanks very much.

Pranam,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2447 on: October 12, 2012, 08:37:01 AM »
Devotee: What does Sri Bhagwan think of Pravritti and nivritti margas?
Sri Bhagwan: Yes. Both are mentioned. WHAT OF THAT?
Devotee: Which the better of the two?
Sri Bhagwan : If you see the Self—pure and simple—it is nivritti; if you see the Self with the world, it is pravritti. In other words, inward turned mind (antarmukhi manas) is nivritti; outward going mind (bahirmukhi manas) is pravritti.  Anyway, there is nothing apart from the Self. BOTH ARE THE SAME.
                                                                          Talk—274

What does the above Teaching imply for those who are pursuing the sadhana as taught by Sri Bhagwan ?

Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2448 on: October 12, 2012, 01:48:01 PM »
Dear Anil,

Sri Lalita Sahsranamam says: antar mukha samaradhya; bahir mukha sudhir laba.

The goddess can be easily experienced within if one who has inward turned mind. But everyone does Aradhana to her only
with outward turned mind.

Arunachala Siva.   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2449 on: October 12, 2012, 02:46:18 PM »
Quote:
“The goddess can be easily experienced within if one who has inward turned mind. But everyone does Aradhana to her only
with outward turned mind.

Arunachala Siva.”

Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

Ji. Yes. And some devotees seek the Self, God or Goddess in Mahavakyas and in the Upanishads.
What follows is a conversation from the Diary Extracts of Sri Annamalai Swami (Living By the Words of Bhagwan):

Question: After reading the mahavakyas ‘aham brahmasmi’ from the Vedanta Sastras [the Upanishads] any number of times, why is one unable to attain jnana?
Sri Bhagwan : Knowledge of the Self is not in the Vedanta Sastras. KNOWLEDGE OF THE SELF CAN ONLY BE OBTAINED BY STUDYING ONESELF.
Question : How is one to study oneself?
Sri Bhagwan :You can study it only if there are two selves [one which studies and the other which is studied]. To remain as the Self is to study the Self. If you study the Vedas and the sastras you may get due respect in the world. Society will then decorate your neck with garlands, read you complementary letters, give you good food, a great name  and much money. But these things will be great obstacles for jnana and sashana.

“Ramana who utters only
One word and no other word,
“INWARD” IS THE WORD HE UTTERS.
To me, who wished to know the path
Upward, heavenward, even to me,
The word He uttered was this word,
“INWARD, INWARD IS THE PATH,
FOR EVERYONE THE PATH IS INWARD.”
                         Sri Muruganar

The Self is within five sheaths. Therefore, for everybody the path is inward.

Thanks very much, sir.

Pranam,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2450 on: October 12, 2012, 04:07:58 PM »
Quote:
“A guru is needed in most cases to get it. The Truth is "JUST BE"
Even here we need a guru's aid "how to just be ?" 

Dear Sri Tushnim,

Ji. Yes. That is right. The Guru is necessary for the Self-Realisation. But I do not think that the Guru can be substituted by undertaking a systematic and extensive study of the Sacred Vedanta and other scriptures. Please do not tell me that such study is akin to the study of Sri Ramana’s Gospel. Bhagwan Sri Ramana is the EXALTED LIVING GURU FOR HIS DEVOTEES. AND ARE NOT SRI BHAGWAN AND HIS TEACHING THE EMBODIMENT OF THE GREAT VEDANTA.?

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2451 on: October 12, 2012, 04:16:03 PM »
Dear Anil,

When you read Sastras you will get only Sastra Jnanam.

When you go to competent Guru, as an ardent seeker, you will attain Atma Jnana.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2452 on: October 12, 2012, 05:04:20 PM »
Dear Nagaraj,

You are not correct. Max Mueller read Sanskrit and even translated Rig Veda.  No doubt he worked for 40 years for this
great job, but what he gained was only a Sastra Jnana. He got a Sanskrit Pandit and learned Sanskrit. But that Sanskrit
pandit was not a competent guru to teach the Truth. Hence had to stop with sastra jnana only. Ganapati Muni was an
expert in all Sastras, but he never gained peace, peace is another name for Self knowledge. This he had to attain only from
Sri Bhagavan.

One cannot learn English only by referring to dictionary. He needs a competent English teacher.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2453 on: October 12, 2012, 05:10:19 PM »
Dear Nagaraj,

See what is Sri Bhagavan's teaching in this regard.  See Ulladu Narpadu, Verse 35 of Supplement.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2454 on: October 12, 2012, 05:27:27 PM »
Dear Subramanian Sir, Sri Tushnim and Sri nagaraj,

Ji. Yes. Shastras cannot be understood without a competent Guru. I know that I did not understand really what Srimad Bhagavad Gita taught before coming to Sri Bhagwan, even though I had read it several times.

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2455 on: October 12, 2012, 05:38:31 PM »
Dear Nagaraj,

Saint Tayumanvar says that he was trying to find out from his learning  (sastras) but he found only darkness.
His guru (Mouna Guru) said: See it with my Grace. Then I saw with his Grace. I found my true Nature. Hence
Guru's guidance plus Grace are necessary.

அருளால் எவையும்பார் என்றான் - அத்தை
      அறியாதே சுட்டிஎன் அறிவாலே பார்த்தேன்
இருளான பொருள்கண்ட தல்லால்-கண்ட
      என்னையுங் கண்டிலன் என்னேடி தோழி - சங்கர 13.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2456 on: October 12, 2012, 05:43:46 PM »
Dear Nagaraj,

பித்த உலகர் பெரும் துறைப் பரப்பினுள்
மத்தம் களிறு எனும் அவாவிடைப் பிழைத்தும்
கல்வி என்னும் பல்கடல் பிழைத்தும்
செல்வம் என்னும் அல்லலில் பிழைத்தும்
நல்குரவு என்னும் தொல்விடம் பிழைத்தும் 40

Saint Manikkavachagar also says that he had to ovecome the big sea of kalvi (sastra) to realize Siva.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2457 on: October 12, 2012, 06:17:20 PM »
Dear Nagaraj,

It seems you cannot be convinced.  What Sastra Jnana Sri Bhagavan had excepting some Bible reading and Tayumanavar.
Did He not attain Atma Jnana?   He Himself says: After knowing mano nigraha is the final answer of all spiritual books, what use
in reading books endlessly. One has to forget all that he had read at sometime.,

Arunachala Siva.   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2458 on: October 12, 2012, 06:34:56 PM »
Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

Ji. Yes. Sri Bhagwan’s Teaching in this context has no ambiguity whatever. Seeking  PURNA  in books is like the light seeking itself in the shadows !One must practice as taught by the Guru and remain as the Self. That is, in my view, the right thing to do. NOTHING ELSE WILL DO.
Young French man asked, “Which book is the best guide to Truth?”
Sri Bhagwan replied, “All scriptures declare that Truth is within yourself, that in fact you are That. Then how can you find Truth in books that are without, (outside) yourself? Your searching for Truth in books is like the light seeking itself in the shadow.” (P-168, Sri Ramana Reminiscences, G. V. Subbramayya)

Thanks very much, sir.

Pranam,
  Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2459 on: October 12, 2012, 07:08:47 PM »
Dear anil,

I am happy that you have understood the point. Once when Sri Bhagavan was in the Old Hall, a pandit came and talked
every day for hours together. Sri Bhagavan did not show any resentment. However, the devotees were irritated. After
about some ten days, the Pandit came and simply sat in one corner, without any 'talk' on that day! Sri Bhagavan said:
See, he has also become like us.

Arunachala Siva.