Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 758069 times)

Ravi.N

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #2430 on: October 07, 2012, 11:21:42 PM »
Friends,
Very Good discussion here and very valid points.Anil mentioned how the Great ones do not look on bhArat as a Geographical piece of Land in the concomity of Nations,but as BhArata Shakti(Yogi ShuddhAnanda Bharati).Like ArunAchala is sacred,the whole of bhAratavarsha is a centre of adhyatma shakti;the Love that Swamiji,Sri Aurobindo and other Great ones like samartha Ramdas bore for bhArata Varsha is to keep this spiritual Dynamo buoyant and vibrant for the spiritual well being of the Whole World.
Sri Bhagavan did it in his own way.
All these Sages manifested different aspects of the Same Divine Being for the rejuvenation of Spiritual Regeneration of the World at large,for the benefit of all of us.
Thanks very much.
Namaskar.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2431 on: October 08, 2012, 11:29:44 AM »
If I say ‘I awoke’, it follows that ‘I slept’. When waking comes we must be in the state that we were in when we were asleep. When sleep comes we must awake. That is the state of awakened sleep.
                                                                                           Sri Bhagwan

Dear Devotees,

What does the above quoted Teaching mean to you?
This is what Sri Bhagwan called Waking or Wakeful Sleep. During deep sleep, the mind rests in the Self but it is not conscious of the Bliss or the Peace that exists there. Sri Bhawan taught that if one could make the mind sink completely into the Self without losing consciousness one would enjoy the Bliss of the Conscious Sleep. There are two similar terms used to cover this experience—‘Wakeful Sleep’ and ‘Sleeping while Awake’.
Retaining full consciousness during deep sleep is called ‘Wakeful Sleep’.
Making the mind stay in the Self during the waking state is called ‘Sleeping while awake’.
ALTHOUGH TWO TERMS HAVE BEEN USED, THE EXPERIENCE OF CONSCIOUSNESS IN BOTH STATES IS THE SAME.
Therefore, dear devotees, the meaning of the quoted Teaching above is evident.
‘I awoke’ means that I had been sleeping and now ‘I awoke’.
‘I slept’ means I was awake when sleep had overtaken me.

Now Sri Bhagwan teaches that when waking comes one must remain in the state one was in when he was sleeping; and when sleep comes one must continue to remain in the state he was in when he was wide awake.
Although names are different, the experience of consciousness in both states is the same, that is, the State of Pure Awareness.
Dear devotees, this is a bit difficult to practice in the initial years of the sadhana of the Atma-Vichara, but as the sadhana advances, and one gradually becomes aware of the Existence-Consciousness (sense of being), or one’s attention is turned to the consciousness of being or ‘I am’ with clarity, one automatically, albeit gradually, starts to grasp the state of deep sleep while awake and the state of waking during deep sleep. 

Dear devotees, as we are aware, sleep., wakefulness and dream are mere thoughts in the Consciousness. We are the Consciousness. THEREFORE, WE MUST REMEMBER THAT WHEN THE THOUGHT OF SLEEP COMES, OR WHEN THE THOUGHT OF WAKING COMES, THEY DO NOT CATCH HOLD OF US AND SHAKE US, FOR WE ARE CONSCIOUSNESS. SRI BHAWAN SAYS THAT THE THOUGHT CATCHING HOLD OF US SHAKES ITSELF.

Thanks very much.

Pranam,
  Anil   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2432 on: October 08, 2012, 11:57:51 AM »
Dear Sri Tushnim,

Yes, you are right. If one has reached a state in which there is no identification with different mental states, and one remains as the Consciousness, that is the state of the ‘wakeful sleep’ or ‘sleeping while waking’, Sri Bhagwan speaks of. That is the reason why I said in my last post the following:

“As we are aware, sleep, wakefulness and dream are mere thoughts in the Consciousness. We are the Consciousness. THEREFORE, WE MUST REMEMBER THAT WHEN THE THOUGHT OF SLEEP COMES, OR WHEN THE THOUGHT OF WAKING COMES, THEY DO NOT CATCH HOLD OF US AND SHAKE US, FOR WE ARE CONSCIOUSNESS. SRI BHAWAN SAYS THAT THE THOUGHT CATCHING HOLD OF US SHAKES ITSELF.”

Dear Sri Tushnim, the thought catching hold of us shakes itself, says Sri Bhagwan. If therefore one is not shaken with the thought, meaning if there is no identification with the thought and one remains as the Consciousness, sadhana is over for such one. But if even if a little align identification is residual, sadhnan, in my view, must go on. Is it possible, all at once, to get rid of ancient identification with the body-mind complex merely on the strength of sweet wish. IT CERTAINLY REQUIRES GRACE AND STAEDFAST SADHANA.

Thanks very much, sir.

Pranam,
  Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2433 on: October 08, 2012, 03:34:06 PM »
Dear Tushnim,

There is a proverb that one can wake up one who is really asleep but not the one who poses as if he is sleeping.

Sri Bhagavan never used to sleep with his full back on the sofa. He always remained on a slanting position on the pillow.

There were instances when devotees wake up at 3 am. Sri Bhagavan has already woken up and sitting!  When kitchen
workers come at 4 am. He will already be in the kitchen cutting vegetables. Sri Bhagavan's Life is His teachings. He lived as
He taught. He never used to be fast asleep. His eyes will always be half open.

He used to say: One should sleep between 10 pm and 2 am.  only, Most of us cannot put this into practice.

His memory was abnormal. Even on the days when He was in Guru Murtham, where He never knew whether it was day
or night, He remembered later whoever had come and had darshan of Him.

Arunachala Siva. 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2434 on: October 08, 2012, 04:40:38 PM »
Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

Many devotees grieved that in trying to still their mind they fall asleep. What sleeps is the mind, merged in nescience.  Mind consciousness is the objectified consciousness.  In Truth, there is only one Consciousness and that is the Self-Consciousness.  As ‘ghatakasa’ meges with the Mahakasa when an earthen pitcher is broken, so also, when the Realisation happens objectified consciousness merges with the Self-Consciousness and One Supreme Consciousness alone remains—ALL PERVADING, FOR EVER.

“Put yourself into the condition as in deep sleep. Then watch. Be asleep consciously, instead of unconsciously, THERE WILL BE THEN ONLY ONE CONSCIOUSNESS.”
                                                                               Sri Bhagwan   

Thanks very much, sir.

Pranam,
  Anil 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2435 on: October 09, 2012, 07:57:41 AM »
Swami Sri Abhedananda:

RAMANA IS THE SELF OF ALL. WHAT EVER ONE SEES, HEARS, WHAT ONE SPEAKS OR DOES IS GUIDED BY HIS PRESENCE. No one can do anything without His guidance. He is speechless and actionless; yet by His mere Presence, one is able to achieve anything. One’s very life has its root in Him. He is eternal and all pervasive. Every activity of all beings takes its source from ‘Ramana’. The knowledge infused by Lord Budha is that of ‘Ramana’. The mysterious miracles caused by Lord Christ were with the Divine help of ‘Ramana’. The matchless self-surrender of saints and devotees was to realise ‘Ramana’. In every trance, Sri Ramakrishna Paramhamsa plunged Himself in the Divine Nectar of ‘Ramana’ or the Supreme Mother. The teachings and preachings  of Swami Sri Vivekanada and others are about ‘Ramana’ only. The inimitable self-sacrifice of Mahatma Gandhi and other patriots was to reach ‘Ramana’ and to merge in Him. The miracles performed by various saints and savants were by the Grace of ‘Ramana’. Every action of mine, yours and others has Ramana’s Guidance. All the Vedas, Upanishads, Puranas, etc., speak of ‘Ramana’ and show the path to realise Him. All the sciences of the east and the West and their inventions are only discoveries ever existing in ‘Ramana’. Knowledge, action or desire arises from ‘Ramana’. Nothing will ever exist without Ramana’s Presence. All magnificence and grandeur and beauty either observed or heard become insignificant when compared to RAMANA’S  MAGNIFICENT  TEACHINGS  FOLLOWED  WITH  INTUITIONAL  VISION.  HIS  TEACHINGS  TO  MANKIND  WILL  TAKE  ROOT  DEEP  IN  THE  HEART  AND  WILL  BE  NOURISHED  BY  EVER  REMEMBERING HIS  NAME, which is the ‘Brahman’ of the Upanishads, the ‘Parmatman’ of the yogis and the God of gods. ‘Ramana’ alone exists. There is only one Ramana who resides in all things and all beings.
SARVAM  RAMNAMAYAM  JAGAT.  ALL  ARE  RAMANA—THE  ONE  TRUTH. 
Source: Fragrant Petals

Dear Devotees,

Yes, all magnificence, all grandeur and all beauty, either observed or heard, become insignificant compared to Sri Bhagwan’s Teaching followed with intuitional vision. HE  IS  THE  LIVING  GURU  OF  ALL THOSE  IN  WHOSE HEART HIS TEACHINGS  TAKE  DEEP  ROOT, NOURISHED  BY  EVER REMEBERING  HIS NAME. 
AND WHAT IS THE ESSENCE OF HIS TEACHINGS THAT AROSE LIKE A METEOR IN THE SPIRITUAL FIRMANENT?

“JUST   BE.  ALL  IS  IN YOU,  ONLY A VEIL  STANDS  BETWEEN.  YOU  HAVE  ONLY  TO  REND  THE  VEIL  AND  THEN,  WELL, JUST  BE.”

Thanks very much.

Pranam,
  Anil       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2436 on: October 09, 2012, 01:50:03 PM »
Dear Anil,

Nice write up on Abhedananda's views on Sri Bhagavan. His teachings arose like a meteor in the spiritual firmament!

Very nice.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2437 on: October 10, 2012, 08:08:14 AM »
Sri Bhagwan:
“It is natural for a person to think that he should be well-known to the people of the world and be praised by them. But if this thought is present one cannot attain true greatness or happiness. God is not interested in those who promote their own claims to greatness. One who is not satisfactory to God is an inferior person, not a great one. If anyone dedicates both his mind and his body to God in every possible way, God will make him be famous and praised by people all over the world.”

Sri Viran:
Sri Annamalai Swami:
Since all these activities still failed to produce enough water to meet all our needs, we engaged a man called Viran to carry water full-time from the Palakottu tank to the Ashram. In addition to carrying water, he also used to work on various other little jobs that needed to be done in and around the Ashram. Although he had been engaged primarily to do Aharam work, he was also willing to help any of the resident devotees with their daily chores. If anyone called to do some work, he would immediately come. No work was too menial for him. He was even willing to work in the middle of the night if anyone asked him to. He was a very humble man whose main aim in life seemed to be to please other people. If anyone addressed him disrespectfully, because he came from a low caste, Sri Bhagwan would immediately show his disapproval.
‘Why do you call him like this?’ He would ask. ‘If you want him to do any work you should call him with love and affection.’
Sri Bhagwan often showed a lot of love towards this man because He knew he was very humble and because He knew he performed all his chores with love and devotion.
Sri Bhagwan was not the only one who was impressed with his work. A rich devotee, after watching Viran work, decided to help him by paying for his son’s education. The devotee put the boy in a good school in Madras and paid for all his expenses. The Ashramites also used to help him by giving left-over food from the kitchen to take home to his family.
Viran’s humility was a shining example of Sri Bhagwan’s Teaching in action.
On many occasions Sri Bhagwan told me, ‘BECOME ENVIOUS OF ANYONE LOWER THAN YOU. YOU MUST BECOME VERY SMALL. IN FACT YOU MUST BECOME NOTHING. ONLY A PERSON WHO IS NOBODY CAN ABIDE IN THE SELF.’
Sri Bhagwan often spoke to us about the necessity of humility. On another occasion He told me, ‘NO ONE SHOULD BE OUR INFERIOR. ONE WHO HAS LEARNED TO BE THE INFERIOR WILL BECOME SUPERIOR TO ALL.’       

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #2438 on: October 10, 2012, 09:02:58 AM »
Anil,
Wonderful story of viran.Of all lessons ,one of humility is the subtlest and most beautiful.All other things pale into insignificance before that.

Here is a reminscence of professor Swaminathan that I always find inspiring:

Once during a visit to the Ashram in the 1940s I was sitting outside the Old Hall with many devotees, facing Sri Bhagavan who was reclining on a couch. A group of learned pundits were discussing certain passages from the Upanishads with great enthusiasm and profundity. All, including Bhagavan, appeared to be attentively listening to this interesting discussion when, all of a sudden, Bhagavan rose from his couch, walked thirty meters to the north, and stood before a villager who was standing there looking lowly with palms joined.

Immediately the discussion stopped and all eyes were turned to Bhagavan and the villager standing at a distance. They appeared to be conversing, but at such a distance no one could tell about what. Soon Bhagavan returned to his couch and the discussion resumed.

I was curious about this villager and why Bhagavan had gone out of his way to meet him. So, while the discussion continued I slipped away and caught up with him before he left the Ashram. I asked the villager what he and Bhagavan had talked about. He said that Bhagavan had asked him why he was standing there so far away. "I told Bhagavan, 'I am only an ignorant, poor villager. How am I to approach you who are God incarnate?'"

"What did the Maharshi say then?" I asked.

"He asked me my name, what village I was from, what work I did and how many children I had, etc."

"Did you ask Him anything?"
"I asked Him how I could be saved and how I could earn His blessings."

"What did He tell you?"

"He asked me if there was a temple in my village. I told him there was. He wanted to know the name of the deity of that temple. I told Him the name. He then said that I should go on repeating the name of that deity and I would receive all the blessings needed."

I came back to Bhagavan's presence and sat among the devotees listening to the learned discussion, in which I had now lost all interest, realizing that the simple humility and devotion of this peasant had evoked a far greater response from our Master than any amount of learning. I then decided that, though a scholar by profession, I should always remain a humble, ignorant peasant at heart, and pray, like that villager, for Bhagavan's grace and blessings.

Namaskar

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2439 on: October 10, 2012, 11:01:12 AM »
Dear Ravi,

Sri Bhagavan's compassion towards the poor and downtrodden was enormous. He used to say: Who took care me before you all
came? It is they, the villagers, cowherds and goatherds and grass pickers who had taken care of me. 

He remembered each one's name and their family members. Once when a group of devotees and Sri Bhagavan were strolling on the Hill,
suddenly Sri Bhagavan took a turn into the forest and there one old man was waiting with a pot of kanji. Sri Bhagavan asked him:
Can I have a share? The poor man readily obliged. He took half a pot of that kanji and thanked him profusely. Sri Bhagavan then said: Keep your sweetmeats and savories with you and eat. This kanji is enough for me.

Arunachala Siva.     

ramanaduli

• View Profile
« Reply #2440 on: October 10, 2012, 06:11:18 PM »
Dear sir,

Actually Bhagavan does not need anything still He had whatever was offered to Him. Because this offering may bring happiness for those people. So He accepted. They say if we can feed one sanyasi the benifit is so much that our 7 generation will be benifited. Really those the villagers who offered Him was so fortunate. It is doing one asvamedha yaga.
Is not it?

Ramanaduli

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2441 on: October 10, 2012, 06:15:59 PM »
Dear ramanaduli,

Yes. A rich person arranging bhiksha is not that great. Whereas a poor man giving his Kanji is really great. There are many such incidents.
One poor man brought kaddukkai to Sri Bhagavan. In fact, Sri Bhagavan needed it most at that time, because of indigestion. He was happy
to receive kadukkai from that poor man.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2442 on: October 11, 2012, 10:11:05 AM »
Quote from Sri Ravi:
“Wonderful story of viran.Of all lessons ,one of humility is the subtlest and most beautiful.All other things pale into insignificance before that.”
“I came back to Bhagavan's presence and sat among the devotees listening to the learned discussion, in which I had now lost all interest, realizing that the simple humility and devotion of this peasant had evoked a far greater response from our Master than any amount of learning. I then decided that, though a scholar by profession, I should always remain a humble, ignorant peasant at heart, and pray, like that villager, for Bhagavan's grace and blessings.”

Dear Sri Ravi,

Ji. Yes. Thanks very much , sir, for a very nice, beautiful and inspiring post. I have also now lost all interest in learned discussion, realising that simple humility, devotion and following sincerely the Guru’s Teaching evoke a far greater response from the Silent Guru.

Dear sir, I understood first intellectually and then intuitively the deep import of Sri Bhagwan’s Teaching:
“BECOME ENVIOUS OF ANYONE LOWER THAN YOU. You must become very small. In fact you must become nothing. ONLY A PERSON WHO IS NOBODY CAN ABIDE IN THE SELF.”
“No one should be our inferior. One who has learned to be the inferior will become superior to all.”

Dear sir, you have mentioned beautifully that of all lessons, humility is the subtlest and most beautiful. Ji. Yes. I HAVE UNDERSTOOD THAT THE SUBLIME STATE OF HUMILITY IS THAT IN WHICH THE DELUDED AND ILLUSORY EGO NEVER RISES EVEN UNKNOWINGLY.

Thanks very much, sir.

Pranam,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2443 on: October 11, 2012, 10:16:48 AM »
As devotees of God see only their own Self in everything, they behave with humility towards all of them. But since God humbles himself even before his devotees, he has attained, as his nature, that state in which there is nothing inferior to him. Is it not because of the supremacy of this extreme humility that he has attained the state of God?
                                                 V. 497, GVK, Edited by Sri David Godman 

Dear Sri Subramanian Sir and Sri ramanaduli,

Sri Bhagwan taught that the Self is God. IF GOD BE APART FROM THE SELF, HE MUST BE A SELFLESS GOD WHICH IS ABSURD. Therefore, the true sign of the devotees of God is to see their own Self in everything and in all and behave with humility towards all of them. This is also the foundation upon which the whole edifice of all ethics is perhaps built and sustained.  This implies that the proper way to attain the State of God is to remain subsided without the ego and that alone is the subtle state of humility.
Sri Sadhu Om: Sri Bhagwan reveals a unique and surprising truth, that is, He explains how God stands worthy of being worshipped by all the worlds. Sri Bhagwan points out that it is because God is naturally and lovingly humble to everyone in all His own creation. The following incident will prove that SRI BHAGWAN, FOR THE SAME REASON, IS NONE BUT GOD HIMSELF.
A devotee asked Sri Bhagwan, “What is your feeling when hundreds of people come and do pranams to you?” Without hesitation, Sri Bhagwan replied: “First I do my namaskarams to each one of them as soon as they enter this room, and then only they do so. Subsiding one’s ego is the right and real form of doing namaskarams. Do I not have more chances each day to do such namaskarams than anyone who comes here?”

So, how the state of being Supreme has come to the Lord?

Sri Muruganar sings: His naturally remaining at such a pinnacle of meekness that nothing can be meeker than Himself, the State of being Supreme has come to the Lord.

Thanks very much, sir.

Pranam,
  Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2444 on: October 11, 2012, 02:00:30 PM »
Dear Anil,

Yes. Sri Bhagavan was the embodiment of compassion and humility. One Sampurnammal had prepared food for the inmates and
the visiting members. Suddenly a dozen people had entered the Hall. Samurnammal was worried how the food would be adequate
for all of them., She came and told Sri Bhagavan. Sri Bhagavan did not seem to hear it at all.

When the food was served, it was found that it was more than  adequate not only for the regular inmates and visitors and also
for the new comers. After serving, food was there for another dozen people!

Sampuranammal in the afternoon came and told Sri Bhagavan: Bhagavan! It is all Your Siddhi., Sri Bhagavan asked: Who prepared
the food? Sampurnammal said: Why, it is me!  Sri Bhagavan said:

THEN IT IS ALL YOUR SIDDHI!

Arunachala Siva.