Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 758942 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #2415 on: October 06, 2012, 08:39:22 AM »
“Where the ego rises not, there we are That. But how can that perfect Egolessness be attained, if the mind dives not into its Source? And if the ego dies not, how can our Natural State be won, wherin we are That?”
                                                                         V. 27, Ulladu Narpadu

Sri Bhagwan : You are always the Self. It is just your notion that you are not the Self that has to be got rid of.

Sri Annamalai Swami: The Self is peace and happiness. REALISING PEACE AND HAPPINESS WITHIN YOU IS THE TRUE REALISATION OF THE SELF. You cannot distinguish between peace, happiness and the Self. They are not separate aspects. You have this idea that peace and happiness is within you, so you make some effort to find it there, BUT AT THE MOMENT IT IS STILL ONLY AN IDEAFOR YOU. So, ask yourself, ‘To whom does this idea come? Who has this idea?’ YOU MUST PURSUE THIS LINE IF YOU WANT TO HAVE THE IDEA REPALCED BY THE EXPEREINCE.

Dear Devotees,

Therefore, we are the Self and the notion of being body and the mind comes back and covers the experience. This notion is not there in the sleep and we enjoy sleeping and the reason is because there are no thoughts there.
So, if one has reached the Source of one’s Being, ego has died and individuality lost and one is abiding in the Self as the Self, realising the Bliss of the Self within, there is simply then no one to report  that one remains disinterested, unconcerned, undistracted etc.  If one is a Jnani, in His Natural, Egoless State, In Sahaj Nishtha, He is the Witness, the Presence, before and in whom phenomena are taking place including the phenomena called thoughts. Then, of course, He is unconcerned, uninterested, unaffected, etc. However, as far as the Supreme State is concerned these are mere imagined thoughts for the onlookers. Only a Jnani knows. That is not for our description here.       
Vichara as taught by Sri Bhagwan consists in gathering together all the energies of body and mind by banishing all alien thoughts, and then directing all those energies into a single current, namely the resolve to find the answer to the question ‘Who am I?’ ‘WHO AM I?’ MEANS ‘WHAT IS THE TRUTH OF ME?’
SOURCE OF ‘I AM’ IN THE EGO MUST BE FOUND BY INGATHERING OF ALL THE VITAL AND MENTAL ENERGIES AND DIRECTING THEM HEARTWARDS. 
Sri Bhagwan : Just as one dives into a lake, seeking a thing that has fallen in, so should the seeker dive into the Heart, RESOLVED TO FIND WHEREFROM ISES THE EGO-SENSE, RESTRAINING SPEECH AND VITAL BREATH.

Dear devotees, the resolve to find the Self is said to be the dynamic element in the Enquiry. Without the resolve, there can be no diving into the Heart. THIS RESOLVE IS IMPLIED BY THE QUESTION ‘WHO AMI?’
Sri Bhawan has assured that he who so dives, success is assured; for then, SAYS SRI BHAGWAN, SOME MYSTERIOUS FORCE ARISES FROM WITHIN AND TAKES POSSESION OF HIS MIND AND TAKES IT STARIGHT TO THE HEART. The reason is the seeker has by then become pure of mind and free from the love for this wretched ego OR THE INDIVIDUALITY, SUCH ONE WOULD YIELD HIMSELF UNRESERVEDLY TO THIS FORCE, AND THAT IS THE COMPLETE SURRENDER. HERE ENQUIRY AND SURRENDER MERGES AND WHAT REMAINS IS THE SWARUPA.   

Thanks very much.

Pranam,
  Anil   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2416 on: October 06, 2012, 09:23:33 AM »
Dear Sri Tushnim,

I am not interested in knowing whether you are Sri Udai or Sri Tushnim. However, if you are Sri Udai, you need not hide it and approach us the way you have done. You are welcome to this Forum and express your understanding and views whether you are Sri Udai or Sri Tushnim.
Dear Sri Tushnim, your understanding and views are most welcome. I have somehow managed to go through your posts at my work-place. But I didn’t have time to respond to them. I understand from your posts that you have been pursuing the Enquiry as you have understood it and I do not feel there is anything wrong with that. Yes, I feel that your insights are not out of place and may be helpful to some devotees in certain stage of their sadhana of the Atma-Vichara.  SELF-ENQUIRY AS TAUGHT BY SRI BHAGWAN HAPPENS BY HIS GRACE AND IS ITS OWN GUIDE.

Thanks very much.

Pranam,
  Anil 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2417 on: October 06, 2012, 11:02:40 AM »
Dear Sri Tushnim,

No, as I said, it does not matter. Please continue to enlighten with your views and understanding. This is what we are here for. I have appreciated your insights very much, and in my view, they are perfectly all right.  Thanks very much.

Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2418 on: October 06, 2012, 11:43:34 AM »
Dear Devotees,

I live in Patna, Bihar, where I have met no one here so far who is aware of Sri Bhagwan and His Teaching.  Some I have met  know only His Name, but that is all. I do not know. There may be some devotees, who are doing silently the sadhana of Atma-Vichara.

Therefore,  when I came to Sri Bhagwan in an overwhelmed and inspired state of mind, I didn’t know what to do. I didn’t even  know that Sri Bhagwan’s Ashram is situated in Tiruvannamalai, in South India. No book, nothing, to give me proper guidance and lead me to His Abode.  I frantically searched and searched for some time.  Then step by step, by His Grace, I came to know what I wished to know, as if ordained that way for me. 
After five years or so I came to know about the existence of this Forum. I promptly joined to keep myself established to the Feet and learn, seek and be, and not to score debating points over Guru-bhais here.  Sri Bhagwan taught where the Real Guru is. He is the Inner Self and the Heart of our being.

Thanks very much.

Pranam,
  Anil   

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #2419 on: October 06, 2012, 11:56:45 AM »
anil,
Thanks very much.It is truly inspiring to read whatever you have posted and this humility is what has drawn the Grace of sri Bhagavan.You are truly blessed.
Namaskar.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2420 on: October 06, 2012, 12:13:26 PM »
Friends

I have shared my thoughts in the "Tolerance" thread started by Graham  in the Forum advice, news & etiquette sub forum many years back when he started this forum .
I feel we need to go back to the basics to avoid unpleasant feelings and focus on the real teachings of Bhagwan  Ramana which is what is this forum for .

Om Peace .
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #2421 on: October 06, 2012, 12:20:03 PM »
Krishna(atmavichar),
I agree with you.
Namaskar.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2422 on: October 07, 2012, 10:03:41 AM »
Dear Sri Ravi,

Your ability to discriminate the real from the unreal with subtle intellect and deep penetrating insight is truly graced and is beneficial for all of us here in the Forum.  Your cryptic observations and remarks sometimes compel me to introspect and look within. Thanks very much, sir.

Pranam,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2423 on: October 07, 2012, 10:27:30 AM »
Sri Sudhanada Bharati: India is not a geographical piece of land. India is a foyer of Divine Energy.; Bharata Shakti as I chose to call it. It is the sanctum of Divine Energy, the omnipotent soul-force. By that, India will become free. The spiritual India is already free. The material India will become free through spiritual force. Start mass prayers and meditations. Purify and electrify your souls by yoga. Send out waves of good and great thoughts. Send out the message of the Upanishads. The waves will transform the thoughts of humanity. The Silent Force of a Silent Sage is working behind the destiny of India.

Dear Devotees,

Sri Sudhananda Bharati said the above words in his last political speech, which he delivered in Tuticorin, to a mammoth meeting in the Vattakinar Maidan, tears flowing from his eyes. Sri Bharati says that after coming down from the platform, he closed himself in meditation for a day.
‘The need of the hour’, he wrote to Sri Ganapati Muni, ‘was yoga and the silent development of power.’   
Sri Bharati writes that by then he already had the darshan of the Light of Arunagiri, Bhagwan Sri Ramana. He hurried to Sri Bhagwan after finishing his political sojourn. Sri Muni led him to Sri Bhagwan this time.

Sri Bharati writes that as he sat before Sri Bhagwan, he fell into deep introspection. He writes further thus:
“I FORGOT ALL ABOUT INDIA, SWARAJ AND THE NEED OF THE HOUT TOO. One hour passed. The Muni gently stroked me awake and then raised the question regarding ‘THE NEED OF THE HOUR’. After a significant pause the Maharshi laconically replied, “THE NEED OF THE HOUR IS TO FEEL NO NEED AT ALL, BUT TO HEED WHAT IS WITHIN AND SEARCH.”  Needless to say, we felt no need for the supposed ‘need of the hour’. 

Dear devotees, if then in the troubled times of the thirties and forties (second world war was raging and colonies were fighting for their independence), THE NEED OF THE HOUR  was to feel no need at all, but to heed what is within and search, in today’s relatively peaceful world, far better materially, but a lot worse spiritually, the most and urgent and real need of the hour is to heed the voice within and search and thus break the shackles of the rampant materialism plaguing the world.
Thanks very much.
Pranam,
Anil

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #2424 on: October 07, 2012, 12:55:44 PM »
Sri Anil ji,

Off the subject musings.

During the last 100 years or so, before independence, there was a purpose that was pulling everybody in the country, that is the freedom of our country. The youth of those days, were automatically blessed with a primary purpose, to struggle for the independence of our nation. Of-course, the poverty, lack of food, the mortality rates, the struggle, identity crises, cross caste problems, lack of money, all these issues were keeping the young blood occupied in one way or the other. Some got in to the freedom movement, some made living striving to be accepted in the society by english education, some moved towards spirituality, most joined the freedom movement.

Today's time, we are so free, so as to that extant that we are slowly begun to misuse the freedom we have on our hands. We have abundant money, shelter, food, entertainment, family, facility, and what not. In todays time, contrarily, we are troubled by excess freedom. Hence in general, people do not really want a freedom, more than what they already have today, the freedom to live the way we want, with the power of money.

It is not east to over come actions, Karma is very essential and necessary to keep the body and mind in a healthy condition. As Swami Vivekananda observed: "Vivekananda's well-known observation: “You will be nearer to heaven playing football than studying the Bhagavad-Gita.”

Struggling with purpose in todays times, when people, in a very sorry state of mind, not finding any purpose or contentment, when they come across, Sri Ramana Maharshi or Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa, are immediately pulled by conception that Enlightenment is the goal, and while the body and mind are not even sanctified enough to pursue this path, people find themselves struggling even more, without a proper worldly life and a proper spiritual life.

Some stray musings...

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2425 on: October 07, 2012, 03:33:01 PM »

Quote fro Sri Nagaraj:
"Vivekananda's well-known observation: “You will be nearer to heaven playing football than studying the Bhagavad-Gita.”

Struggling with purpose in todays times, when people, in a very sorry state of mind, not finding any purpose or contentment, when they come across, Sri Ramana Maharshi or Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa, are immediately pulled by conception that Enlightenment is the goal, and while the body and mind are not even sanctified enough to pursue this path, people find themselves struggling even more, without a proper worldly life and a proper spiritual life.”

Dear Sri Nagaraj Ji,

Although I largely accept and respect the views expressed in your post, I wish to submit that I do not know in what context Swami Sri Vivekananda said the above quoted line, for when a devotee asked Sri Bhagwan whether one he should study Srimad Bhagavad Gita, Sri Bhagwan is said to have replied, “Yes, always”.

Dear Sri Nagaraj Ji, I drew my first spiritual inspiration during my college years from the following famous declaration of Sri Swami Himself.   

“Each soul is potentially divine.
The goal is to manifest this Divinity within by controlling nature, external
and internal.
Do this either by work, or worship, or psychic control, or philosophy -- by
one, or more, or all of these -- and be free.
This is the whole of religion. Doctrines, or dogmas, or rituals, or books, or
temples, or forms, are but secondary details.”

I cannot describe in words how deeply the above epoch-making declaration intrigued and inspired me, and fired my zeal and imagination, which subsequently led me to seek that divinity THAT verily abides within, even though I never studied any scripture systematically except the Gita and to some extent Vivek Chudamani and Ashtavakra Gita.  Having said this, I wish also to add that I do not know how much I understood even these holy scriptures before coming to Sri Bhagwan.

Therefore, dear Sri Nagaraj Ji, I do not know what is good and most appropriate thing to do for others, but I am cent-percent sure now about what I seek from this human birth.
“GO WHERE HIS GRACE TAKES YOU, AND SEEK THAT DEIVINITY, WHICH SRI BHAGWAN AND SWAMI SRI VIVEKANADA REVAEL, ABIDES VERILY WITHIN.

Thanks very much, sir.

Pranam,
  Anil   

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #2426 on: October 07, 2012, 04:04:55 PM »
Sri Anil ji,

Just reproducing the context in which Sri Swami Vivekananda said the above quoted line, from "Complete Works of Swami Vivekananda":

...... What do we want in India? If foreigners want these things, we want them twenty times more. Because, in spite of the greatness of the Upanishads, in spite of our boasted ancestry of sages, compared to many other races, I must tell you that we are weak, very weak. First of all is our physical weakness. That physical weakness is the cause of at least one-third of our miseries. We are lazy, we cannot work; we cannot combine, we do not love each other; we are intensely selfish, not three of us can come together without hating each other, without being jealous of each other. That is the state in which we are — hopelessly disorganised mobs, immensely selfish, fighting each other for centuries as to whether a certain mark is to be put on our forehead this way or that way, writing volumes and volumes upon such momentous questions as to whether the look of a man spoils my food or not! This we have been doing for the past few centuries. We cannot expect anything high from a race whose whole brain energy has been occupied in such wonderfully beautiful problems and researches! And are we not ashamed of ourselves? Ay, sometimes we are; but though we think these things frivolous, we cannot give them up. We speak of many things parrot-like, but never do them; speaking and not doing has become a habit with us. What is the cause of that? Physical weakness. This sort of weak brain is not able to do anything; we must strengthen it. First of all, our young men must be strong. Religion will come afterwards. Be strong, my young friends; that is my advice to you. You will be nearer to Heaven through football than through the study of the Gita. These are bold words; but I have to say them, for I love you. I know where the shoe pinches. I have gained a little experience. You will understand the Gita better with your biceps, your muscles, a little stronger. You will understand the mighty genius and the mighty strength of Krishna better with a little of strong blood in you. You will understand the Upanishads better and the glory of the Atman when your body stands firm upon your feet, and you feel yourselves as men. Thus we have to apply these to our needs.....

Wish to express, that i am not making any observation about anybody, but, just letting out my musings and in the same spirit and prayer, i submit myself, as I too, do not know what is good and most appropriate thing to do for others, but I am cent-percent sure now about what I seek from this human birth. “GO WHERE HIS GRACE TAKES YOU, AND SEEK THAT DIVINITY, WHICH SRI BHAGWAN AND SWAMI SRI VIVEKANADA REVEAL, ABIDES VERILY WITHIN."

with prayers,

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2427 on: October 07, 2012, 05:04:28 PM »
Quote:
“That physical weakness is the cause of at least one-third of our miseries. We are lazy, we cannot work; we cannot combine, we do not love each other; we are intensely selfish, not three of us can come together without hating each other, without being jealous of each other. That is the state in which we are — hopelessly disorganised mobs, immensely selfish, fighting each other for centuries as to whether a certain mark is to be put on our forehead this way or that way, writing volumes and volumes upon such momentous questions as to whether the look of a man spoils my food or not! This we have been doing for the past few centuries. We cannot expect anything high from a race whose whole brain energy has been occupied in such wonderfully beautiful problems and researches.”

Dear Sri Nagaraj Ji,

Ji. Yes. A weak and poor India is not acceptable to any one of us and therefore we all must fulfil our duty and commitment to our great nation rather than remaining always on the ‘watch out’ for grabbing an opportunity to exploit the weakness of its fledgling democratic institutions for our personal ends. Yes, we must come out of the centuries old stupor and free ourselves of dogmas. Yes, we all must endeavour to make the sisters and brothers of our great nation strong and healthy and adequately affluent so that we all may be able to understand mighty genius and Divinity of Lord Sri Krishna better. Nevertheless, our primary duty of seeking and being should not at any cost be sacrificed at the altar of the rampant materialism that besets the modern west and our own modern minds. 

Dear Sri Nagaraj Ji, how do I reconcile the above understanding with Sri Bhagwan’s Teaching?
Whatever duty and commitment to my family, society, state, and our nation, etc., come my way, I seek to fulfil them with best of my ability without expecting fruits of such actions for personal advancement. SRI BHAGWAN HAS TAUGHT THAT WORK IS NOT A HINDRANCE TO MEDITATION. So, sitting in meditation, eschewing one’s duty and commitment to the world, is not, in my view, the right thing to do either.

Thanks very much, sir.

Pranam,
  Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2428 on: October 07, 2012, 05:23:15 PM »
Dear Anil.

Yes, if one could do his duty to the family, town, nation without expecting any fruits thereof, that will be a great service
to the nation. But one should not go all out to reform the nation or the world, without realizing the Self. An egoless person
only can reform the nation.

Arunachala Siva.     

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2429 on: October 07, 2012, 05:41:48 PM »
Quote:
“ But one should not go all out to reform the nation or the world, without realizing the Self. An egoless person
only can reform the nation.”

Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

Ji. Yes. This is exactly what I wished to convey. An egoless person only can reform a nation as the Father of the Nation, Mahatma Gandhi showed. What help a handicapped person render? This is why Sri Bhagwan cautioned such devotees who were fired with zeal to go all out to reform the nation or the world by teaching to realise the Self first and then to engage in such activities if he so feels. This is what I meant when I said that our primary duty of seeking the Divinity within and being should not be sacrificed at any cost.

Thanks very much, sir.

Pranam,
  Anil