Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 759334 times)

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #2355 on: September 26, 2012, 07:20:49 PM »
Sirk,

i happened to read this after the previous post.

OorilEn kANiyillai; uRavu maRRu oruvar illai;
pAril nin pAtha moolam paRRilEn parama moorthee;
kAroLi vaNNanE (en) kaNNanE! kadharuginREn;
AruLar kaLaikaN ammA! arngamA nagaruLAnE

I have no place; no properties; no relatves; none other than you; I know only your Lotus feet; O Lord of Blue hued sky colour! You only are my refuge. Can you not hear my cries? Is there any one else to save me except you?

(Thondaradippodi Azhwar)

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2356 on: September 26, 2012, 07:22:23 PM »
Dear Nagaraj,

This Azhwar's song is also a reflection of his innate love for god.

Arunachala Siva.

deepa

• View Profile
« Reply #2357 on: September 26, 2012, 10:49:51 PM »

And who better than Andal (Godhai) to exemplify love and separation.

She writes in "chittramsiru kaale",

எற்றைக்கும் ஏழேழ் பிறவிக்கும் உன்தன்னோடு
உற்றோமே ஆவோம் உனக்கே நாம் ஆட்செய்வோம்
மற்றைநம் காமங்கள் மாற்றேலோ ரெம்பாவாய்

For all the future births, I(we) want only to be only related to you and only work for you. Please remove/change all our other desires.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #2358 on: September 27, 2012, 08:21:33 AM »
Deepa,
Wonderful verse from AndAL's TiruppAvai!If there is one single set of 30 verses that I have to choose,it is TiruppAvai above all.Be it sheer poetry,Bhakti,Karma,Yoga, jnAna ,satsangha-These 30 verses cover every aspect so beautifully.
Here AndAl is saying "உன்தன்னோடு"(you as self) and not as 'உன்னோடு'(you)!She is saying ,'As long as you are as my self,you as me.let me take any number of births;only let me be your relative, serve you,all other desires do thou transmute"

"chittramsiru kaale" is the Brahma muhurta -the early predawn period ,the awakening of the soul to jnAna.

Namaskar.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2359 on: September 27, 2012, 08:33:51 AM »
Dear Ravi, deepa,

Yesterday someone was asking how to desire the Self. When all desires of the world vanish, what remains is only the
desire for the Self.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2360 on: September 27, 2012, 11:25:30 AM »
Quote from Sri Subramanian Sir:
“Swami is your body paining?

Sri Bhagavan replied: Body is paining!

He stood away from the body, and looked at its travails as if seeing an object!

HE DID PROVE
THAT HE WAS NOT THE BODY.

Sri Bhagavan proved that He was only Awareness and no body.”

Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

Thanks very much for a very nice post, sir. Sri Bhagwan taught by example and utilised every opportunity that arose either by chance or Divine Design to teach sublime truth to His devotees. I feel like weeping when I say that out of great love and compassion for His devotees, He utilised even His terminal illness to drive home the truth that we should not be attached too much with His body as well as that of ours. FOR HE IS THE AWARENESS PURE, THEN, NOW, AND FOREVER. HE IS THE ONLY AWARENESS THERE IS. 
 Sri G.V. Subbaramayya has reminisced in his ‘Sri Ramana Reminiscences’ thus:

On 14 th Jan, at noon, with special permission, I went to take leave of Sri Bhagwan, I broke down completely. Sri Bhagwan called me close to Him and asked me to touch the affected arm. He graciously consoled me, saying:
“Don’t worry. It will go. As it came, so it will go. The body itself is a disease which may be termed Grossness. The subtle Spirit is encumbered with this lump of flesh called the body. The body is dead even while the man is alive, for it is but insentient matter. Only the Spirit gives it an appearance of life and activity. You people talk of tumour and name it Sarcoma cancer. But believe me when I tell you that in my view there is no tumour, no Sarcoma Cancer at all. 

Dear sir, not only that, after He reached Tiruvannamalai and intimating to the Father that He has come, He discarded the last remnants of His property namely, the sweets, His clothes and a few coins which He still had and then tore off a long strip of cloth from His dhoti and wore it as a loin-cloth. Thereafter, He neither touched money nor worried for food and clothing. Non-possession was His very Nature. 

Dear Sri Subramanian sir, yesterday, while at the work place, I saw two extraordinary posts from you by means of mobile phone internet. I wished to respond but couldn’t do so on account of dearth of time. They seemed to me like coming out of my own understanding and experience.   
Quote:
“ In a temple festival crowd, you keep your hand tightly with your mother's. You don't hold your hand with some other
lady's. How come? Because you know that she is your protector, refuge and support. Thus she is the Reality.  As you grow up,
you go to church or temple every week and pray. Why should you? Because you believe that God in the church or temple
is the Reality to protect you and support you. As you grow up, you find that the Self within is your supporter and refuge.
The Self need not have form. When someone calls you from a distance,. Tushnim, Tushnim...Where is Tushnim, you come
closer and say, I am, (showing the right side of your chest). Whether you are an American, African, Indian or an
Arab, bringing the hand to the right of the mid-chest and say, I, I, I. is the invariable practice.  Now this, 'I' - Aham is the reality.

There is no need for Aham to have a form. You just hold on to it.

Sri Bhagavan says even if one constantly chants I,I,I , then this I will take you to Reality. Sri Bhagavan says that this 'I' is more important than Om.

Arunachala Siva.”

Dear Sri Subramanian sir, I think that recently you had been to Sri Ramansarmam. If that is right, I request you to kindly post a brief account of your visit.               

Thanks very much, sir.

Pranam,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2361 on: September 27, 2012, 11:26:57 AM »
Atmanubhava is not only experiencing love through the mind but also through the five senses, everywhere and at all times. This is seeing, hearing, eating, smelling, and touching love, which is bliss.
                                                                                   V. 655, G.V.K., Edited by Sri D. Godman
Dear Sri Subramanian Sir and Sri Nagaraj Ji,

Ji. Yes. Thanks very much, sir. Very nice and beautiful. This is indeed gathering of hearts at the Feet of the Guru.
Dear Sri Nagarj Ji, the picture you have commented upon is of the sun setting over the horizon of the Mother Ganges, near Bhagalpur in Bihar.
The Direct Experience of Self, which is Supreme Love Itself, is therefore that in which the eyes sees only love, the tongues tastes and speaks only love, and the touch feels only love, which is Bliss Supreme.
Self is Supreme Love. Therefore, the nature of the experience of Self is the one unbroken essence of love. This world is nothing but the experience gained through the five senses which is transformed into and experienced as Self when the Dawn of Knowledge happens. SO, SELF-LOVE ALONE SHINES NATURALLY IN EVERYTHINGWHEN ALL IS KNOWN AS SELF, THE SWARUPA. It is totally different from the false and delusive feeling of pleasure derived through mental sense experiences.

Sri Muruganar: The state of ecstasy in which one is caught in this love, known as bhakti or prema, is demonstrated by Manikkavachagar’s experience, recounted in ‘Thiruvanappahudi’, which thrills the hearts of devotees.

Clad graciously in a brahmin’s glorious form,
He [Shiva] summoned me and graciously ruled me.
At once my very bones melted through undying love.
I called aloud, roaring, roaring like the heaving sea,
rose to my feet, collapsed again all in a daze,
rolling over, wailing,
raving like a mountain, raging like a drunk,
frightening those who saw, amazing those who heard,
in a state of total derangement
that even a rutting elephant would find unbearable.
Then, when I could bear it no longer,
He fashioned my limbs with a delightful sweetness,
like honey fresh from the bough.

If the expression itself is so ecstatic, how much more ecstatic must be that state of ecstasy in which one is caught, called Prema or Bhakti !

Thanks very much, sir.

Pranam,
  Anil     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2362 on: September 27, 2012, 02:28:57 PM »
Dear Anil,

This is the portion of Tiruvandap padhudi of Manikkavachagar:
What I have given is not complete:

தன்நேர் இல்லோன் தானே காண்க 30

ஏனம் தொல் எயிறு அணிந்தோன் காண்க
கானம் புலியுரி அரையோன் காண்க
நீற்றோன் காண்க, நினைதொறும் நினைதொறும்
ஆற்றேன் காண்க, அந்தோ கெடுவேன்
இன்னிசை வீணையில் இசைத்தோன் காண்க 35

அன்னது ஒன்று அவ் வயின் அறிந்தோன் காண்க
பரமன் காண்க, பழையோன் காண்க
பிரமன்மால் காணாப் பெரியோன் காண்க
அற்புதன் காண்க, அநேகன் காண்க
சொற்பதங் கடந்த தொல்லோன் காண்க 40

சித்தமும் செல்லாச் சேட்சியன் காண்க
பத்தி வலையில் படுவோன் காண்க
ஒருவன் என்றும் ஒருவன் காண்க
விரிபொழில் முழுதாய் விரிந்தோன் காண்க
அணுத்தரும் தன்மையில் ஐயோன் காண்க 45

இணைப்பு அரும் பெருமையில் ஈசன் காண்க
அரிய அதில் அரிய அரியோன் காண்க
மருவி எப்பொருளும் வளர்ப்போன் காண்க
நூல் உணர்வு உணரா நுண்ணியன் காண்க
மேலோடு கீழாய் விரிந்தோன் காண்க 50

அந்தமும் ஆதியும் அகன்றோன் காண்க
பந்தமும் வீடும் படைப்போன் காண்க
நிற்பதுஞ் செல்வதும் ஆனோன் காண்க
கற்பதும் இறுதியும் கண்டோ ன் காண்க
யாவரும் பெற உறும் ஈசன் காண்க 55

தேவரும் அறியாச் சிவனே காண்க
பெண்ஆண் அலிஎனும் பெற்றியன் காண்க
கண்ணால் யானும் கண்டேன் காண்க
அருள்நனி சுரக்கும் அமுதே காண்க
கருணையின் பெருமை கண்டேன் காண்க 60

Aunachala Siva

ramanaduli

• View Profile
« Reply #2363 on: September 27, 2012, 08:36:35 PM »
Dear sir,

When there is only "Self" who will desire for some other thing.

Ramanaduli

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2364 on: September 27, 2012, 08:46:26 PM »
Dear ramanduli.

It is the manifesting power of the Self (Maya) that creates desires. It is Her sports. Those who have conquered the
enchanting powers of Maya, find only the Self everywhere, since Maya the consort of the Sivam (Self) lies quiescent with
the Self. The mother wears a mask and frightens the baby for a while. When she removes the mask, the child runs and
embraces the Mother.

Arunachala Siva.   

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
« Reply #2365 on: September 27, 2012, 09:01:33 PM »
It is the manifesting power of the Self (Maya) that creates desires. It is Her sports. Those who have conquered the
enchanting powers of Maya, find only the Self everywhere, since Maya the consort of the Sivam (Self) lies quiescent with
the Self. The mother wears a mask and frightens the baby for a while. When she removes the mask, the child runs and
embraces the Mother.

So nice... Yes - And is it not foolishnes to think that I (as ego) can overpower HER supreme forces? Is it not I (as self) the only thing which can over-power HER play? What I mean is - all gimmicks of ego (like many modern techniques) - can only strengthen Her games. Like Nochur Anna says "Dental meditation" may help, not sure of transcendental :) - meaning just like you have a toothpain - keep enquiring about the self. When you have toothpain - even if you do 101 tasks - that tooth pain will always be behind your mind at every step.

Sanjay
Salutations to Bhagawan

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2366 on: September 28, 2012, 08:21:07 AM »
Being of the nature of Bliss why does one continue to crave for happiness?
                                                                             Talk—227

Your nature is happiness. You say that is not apparent. See what obstructs you from your true being. It is pointed out to you that the obstruction is the wrong identity. Eliminate the error. The patient must himself take the medicine prescribed by the doctor in order that he may be cured of his illness.
                                                                              Talk—295

Q. One must become satiated with the fulfilment of desires before they are renounced.
Sri Bhagwan: FIRE MIGHT AS WELL BE PUT OUT BY POURING SPIRIT OVER THE FLAMES. [ALL LAUGH.] The more the desires are fulfilled, the deeper grows the samskara. They must become weaker before they cease to assert themselves. That weakness is brought about by restraining oneself and not by losing oneself in desires.
Q. How can they be rendered weaker?
Sri Bhagwan : By knowledge that you are not the mind. The desires are in the mind. Such knowledge helps one to control them.
Q : But they are not controlled in our practical lives.
Sri Bhagwan : Every time you attempt satisfaction of a desire, the knowledge comes that it is better to desist. Repeated reminders of this kind will in due course weaken the desires. What is your true nature? How can you ever forget it? Waking, dream and sleep are mere phases of the mind. They are not the Self. You are the witness of these states. Your true nature is found in sleep.
                                                                       Talk—495

Dear Devotees,

Happiness is that which is constant—something that will abide with us in all its freshness and purity so long as we ourselves exist. What we get in the world is something very transient and variable, and its appropriate name is pleasure. We assume that pleasures are the very textures of happiness; we even assume that if only we can provide for a constant stream of pleasures for all time we shall secure pleasure permanently.
But as said above, the very nature of pleasure is transient, variable and inconstant, for pleasure is just our reaction to the impact of things located outside. Certain things give us pleasure, and we seek to acquire and keep hold of them, contrary to our experience that the same objects do not give equal pleasure at all times. Sometimes they even give pain, and thus we are often cheated of the pleasure we bargained for.  Are we not? We find that we are in for pain in the bargain for the pursuit of pleasures.  PLEASURE AND PAIN THEREFORE ARE IN FACT INSEPARABLE COMPANIONS.

Dear devotees, as you are aware, Sri Bhagwan says that even pleasure is not from the things and objects. For instance, if the pleasure that we taste in life were really from the things, then it must be more when one has more things, less when one has less, and none when one has none. But that is not the case. THE RICH WHO HAVE ABUNDANCE OF THINGS ARE NOT EXACTLY HAPPY, NOR ARE THE POOR, WHO HAVE VERY LITTLE, EXACTLY UNHAPPY. And all alike—rich and poor—if and when they get sound and dreamless sleep, are supremely happy.

SRI BHAGWAN SAYS THAT HAPPINESS IS OUR TRUE INHERENT NATURE. Pleasure has no independent existence. It does not reside in external objects at all. If it appears to do so, it is because of a mere coincidence. Pleasure is due to release of our own natural and inherent happiness. This release occurs just when, after a rather a painful striving for the same, a desired object is won, or when a hated one is removed. AS  A HUNGRY STREET-DOG MUNCHING A BARE BONE, AND TASTING ITS OWN BLOOD, MIGHT THINK THAT THE TASTE IS IN THE BONE. So also we assume that the pleasures we enjoy are in the things that we seek and get hold of. It may be said that desire is the cause of our being exiled from our inherent happiness and its momentary cessation just allows us to taste a little of that happiness for the time being.
Dear devotees, we come to the conclusion that desire and fear are the two enemies of our happiness. As long as we are content to remain subject to them, we shall never be really happy. Desire is like a bottomless pit which one can never fill up, or like the all-consuming fire which burns the fiercer, the more we feed it.
Dear devotees, I conclude this post with the following Verse:
Pouring ghee into a fire makes it flare up instead of quenching it and making it subside. Similarly, the fire of desire will not get satisfied and calmed through the intoxicating joy that arises when a fully developed desire is fulfilled.

Thanks very much.

Pranam,
  Anil 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2367 on: September 28, 2012, 09:58:12 AM »
Dear Anil,

Very nice. Desires have to be handled with dispassion and discrimination. One cannot satisfy the desires by fulfilling it. 

Swami Ramalingam said: There is no limit to the desire. Even if you rule the entire earth, you would try to conquer the ocean.
Even if you have wealth like Kubera, you will practice alchemy, to convert all copper into gold. What is the use? When Yama comes,
will these earth and wealth help you to avoid Yama?

Arunachala Siva.

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
« Reply #2368 on: September 28, 2012, 12:26:47 PM »
Dear Tushnim - What is your neurological analysis of Sri Bhagawan :) ?
Would love to hear...
Sanjay
Salutations to Bhagawan

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
« Reply #2369 on: September 28, 2012, 12:55:47 PM »
No Tushnim :) - I dont analyze or even ever think of physical aspects of Sri Bhagawan. I am sorry. For me, his bodily form does not exist.
Salutations to Bhagawan