Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 756487 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #2340 on: September 23, 2012, 06:32:51 PM »
Quote from Sri Subramanian Sir:
“From what I understand from your post is that by practice and Sri Bhagavan's Grace., self inquiry has now become involuntary.
NO need for voluntary preparation etc..

HOWEVER THIS DOES NOT MEAN SELF ABIDANCE IS SPONTANEOUS.”

Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

I am really sorry that I said something about the state of my own sadhana in the first place. I wish to make it clear that I do not claim anything and I am only a sadhak, like everyone else in the forum. Normally I keep my sadhana to myself. It was only in the context of discussion with dear Sri Nagaraj Ji that I admitted that I am also deeply aware, by His Grace, that nothing is apart from my own Self. I feel that it is highly egoisticand detrimental to boast of one’s progress in a spiritual sadhana.

Having said this, I wish to say, yes, Self-attention is involuntary. Source awareness is also there. But I do not wish to talk about the question of abidance unless I myself am absolutely certain. Sri Bhagwan has taught:
If once Source is reached, abide in the Self. So off and on, there is no doubt I am abiding in the Self, albeit temporarily, that is, till the time mind is free from agitation, until the surreptitious rise of a thought due to residual vasana externalises the mind and the attention.

Thanks very much, sir.

Pranam,
  Anil 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2341 on: September 23, 2012, 06:44:42 PM »
Dear Sri Nagaraj Ji,

Ji. Yes. That is absolutely correct. Knwingly or unknowingly I have caught a new disease, to react to anything that comes in my way of physical solitude. That meant that I still identified with the activity which is certainly not good for a sadhak of Vichara. Yes, you are absolutely correct.  Although, I had been aware of this problem as you said, I was not able to see the problem in the light that you have shown.

Thanks very much.

Pranam,
  Anil

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #2342 on: September 23, 2012, 07:36:53 PM »
Dear Sri Anil Ji,

By the way, i envy your job profile  :) , working near the holy Ganges, and a job that involves protecting/cleansing the mother nature for posterity, infact, your job profile is truly the spirit of a Ritual Worship with abhishekam, bathing the God.

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2343 on: September 24, 2012, 09:19:45 AM »
Q. The other day Swami was saying that someone may be living here at the foot of Arunachala, but if that person’s mind is not here, he will gain nothing by staying here. The Arunachala Puranam and Bhagwan both say that just the thought of Arunachala can take one to moksha. How should one understand these statements in the light of what Swami said?
Sri Annamalai Swami: ‘Those who think of Arunachala will gain mukti’—the scriptures say this. But even though one may stay at Arunachala, one may not feel any devotion towards the Hill. One may not regard it as God. MANY PEOPLE ARE LIVING HERE WITHOUT GIVING MORE THAN PASSING THOUGHT TO THE MOUNTAIN. HOW CAN WE CONCLUDE THAT SUCH PEOPLE ARE LIVING IN ARUNACHALA? The truth is, one is where one’s mind is.
If one is living here but the whole of one’s mind is thinking of another place, one is really in that other place.

Dear Sri Nagaraj Ji,

Ji. Yes. Whenever I am on the bank of the Sacred River, Mother Ganges, I experience Her Sublime Presence. I wish to say that I started this topic on 11. 10. 2010, just after spending one full month on the bank of the Sacred River, near Bhagalpur, in Bihar. During this period, I felt deeply that the Mother helped me to understand that ‘I’, after all, is not this physical body. I am certain that the mother helped me in my sadhana of the Atma-Vichara.  The Ganges is the Mother Deity of my family.

Dear Sri Nagaraj Ji, but my mind is always remembering, the Father, Sri Arunachala-Shiv-Ramana. Wherever I am, whatever I am doing, my mind is always in Sri Bhagwan, who, for me and many others, is none other than Sri Arunachala Himself.

Bhagwan Paramhamsa Sri Ramakrishna used to tell a story:

Once two friends went to listen to a lecture on the Bhagavatam. As they were going there one of them thought, ‘What is there in this Bhagavatam? Let me go instead to a prostitute and enjoy a little happiness.’
He went to the house of the prostitute while his friend went to listen to the lecture. While he was lying with the prostitute the first man began to feel a little guilty about what he had done. He thought to himself, ‘How good it would be to use this human life to listen to stories of the Lord and to meditate on the Lord.’ He began to think wistfully about some of the stories from the Bhagavatam that he had heard before. Because of these feelings, his mind was with the Bhagavatam even though his body was with the prostitute.
The other man who had gone to the Bhagavatam was thinking about what his friend might be doing with the prostitute.  He thought to himself, ‘My friend must be having a lot more fun than I am’. His body was present at the talk but his mind was not on the Bhagavatam. It was with the prostitute. THE ONE WHO WAS WITH THE PROSTITUTE GOT THE PUNYA OF LISTENING TO THE BHAGAVATAM. THE OTHER MAN, EVEN THOUGH HE WAS PHYSICALYY PRESENT AT THE TALK, INCURRED THE SIN OF HAVING BEEN WITH THE PROSTITUTE.

Thanks very much.

Pranam,
  Anil     

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #2344 on: September 24, 2012, 11:31:49 AM »
Dear Sri Anil Ji,

Wonderful picture and a beautiful background of the Ganges. In Bhagavata sampradaya, this separation is called "Madhura Bhakti" . Dea Sri Anil ji, this separation is a gift of Bhagavan. I do not know how many have experienced bliss in pain. That pain of separation from Lord is more blissful than even the union. I know my statement seems ridiculous, but we have one word in tamil called "yEkam" rough meaning of sadness, despondency, like that of a lover waiting for his lover, or just something like that. this pain is heart melting. This separation is so wonderful. The Gopis illustrated this kind of love in Bhagavata.

Compared to this pain, any of those enquiries, amd i right or wrong, am i mad or sane, am i ok or not, nothing applies, am i following my Master's advise or not, am i egoistic or not, am i troubled by my ego or lust or anger or not, what ever be, if this pain is there, it is wonderful pain, even the bliss of union seems lesser sometimes in presence of this "yEkam" What could illustrate this more than the lives of Gopis and Krishna? here i reproduce one such gem i the form of Krishna and Radha.

Ironically, it is Krishna who is Bhakta of Radhe. Hair stands out!

This period of Vanavasa for you, and all of us, i pray be like that of Gopis,

He was the life breath of Gopis in Brindavan… The one with the peacock feather… The lotus eyed cowherd boy…

It was time  to leave for Mathura. He bids farewell to Yashoda and all others. He then proceeds to meet Radha. It was only Krishna who knew how pure her love for him was.  He kept thinking as to how to face her tears and how on earth to console and comfort her. As he was walking towards the Yamuna river where Radha would be, he could see her still form waiting for him.

As he approached her, he was perplexed to see her receive him with glowing smiles. She tells him, “Krishna, why do you look so sad and depressed? Are you scared of what would happen to me if you leave? For even if you leave me physically, can you ever leave my thoughts? You can’t leave me coz you’re already trapped in the cage of my loving heart.” Hearing this Krishna stands dumbfounded.

Recovering from the unexpected behavior, he bids goodbye. He walks a few steps ahead and turns back only to see his Radha literally rolling in the banks of Yamuna and crying aloud unable to bear the departure of her very life breath. Though she spoke with an intention to console him, the moment she found the dark, curly haired form leaving her, her suppressed emotions couldn’t find place in her soft heart and thus she broke down.

Seeing this Krishna rushes to her and holds her by her hands and the serene waters come from the divine eyes in the form of tears silently saying that He can’t bear to see her cry. Krishna holding her hands, but unable to console her, only looks into her eyes filled with his form. Radha then asks him, “I neither need your proximity nor your exclusive attention. But a boon to die on your lap”. For which Krishna promises, “Wherever I am, however I am I’ll surely be present by your side at the time of your death”

Assuring thus he rushes back to the place where the chariot stood with a fear to even look back at his beloved for he knew for sure, what she’d be doing…

This sight has melted the hardest of rock and hills that were present…

Years passed, Radha was married to someone whom she never even thought about, she was perpetually tortured by her in laws who misunderstood her relationship with the divine. She never paid heed to their abuses coz her mind, heart and soul were filled with Krishna and there was no room to accommodate the thoughts of others. She smiled, laughed, cried, spoke or even lived and breathed for Krishna. And thus time flew…

Those shining eyes, rosy complexion and our most charming Radha was no more the same. Her eyes grew dull, hair turned grey yet; her heart still twinkled with the memories of her dear most cowherd boy Krishna. It was time for her to leave the world.

She sees partially all her relatives around her deathbed and requests them to leave her alone on the banks of Yamuna . They do so though unwillingly. She remained there leaning against a tree looking at the sparkling waters of Yamuna. The tree she leaned on had her and Krishna’s name engraved upon its bark. Seeing this she remembered those days when she and Krishna used to play around the place, Krishna’s pranks, his words, his smile, the divine music from his flute… In fact it was Radha who had encouraged Krishna to play the flute.

Suddenly she starts getting hiccups (a sign to show that she’ll live no more). Unable to bear the physical and mental agony, she drops her body slowly only to find herself on the lap of the lord. Then she remembers the assurance that her Krishna had given her. Looking at him she breaks down. His smile brings tears to her eyes, his touch stirs her emotions and his very presence puts life into her. Looking at the plight of his beloved, Krishna says, “I’ve failed…” He then cries for the second time, he apologizes for having failed to grant the boon of his proximity to her. Then Radha tells him,” Lord, haven’t you given me the thoughts of yours? Haven’t you given me a heart that has a form of yours alone? A life that lived for you alone? Is it not a boon for me to live in this world yet remember you alone? Truly lord, the moment you left me, I realized that I’m nothing without you. The ego in me is dead. I’m hollow. Kindly take this hollow instrument in thy hands and breathe through thy lips thus letting me merge in the melodious tunes of thy breath.” (A hint for him to play the flute that she loved the most).

The music was so melodious that the whole environment around them rested in peace. And Radha was no exception to this. Krishna realizes that the queen of his heart is no more for his lap becomes heavy, as a result his heart heavier and his anger, heaviest.

The nature too feared the fury of the lord who stood there with red eyes, shedding tears for his Radha. He then looks at the flute and with all the strength that is latent in his creation, throws it into the Yamuna River.

Yes, that was the last time he played the flute. That is how the lord commits himself to his loved ones.

Radha’s and Krishna’s love was misunderstood by the residents of Brindavan as attraction and infatuation, and even today many do. It is up to the devotee the way he worships the lord. Like Hanuman’s was Dasya bhakti to Rama, Radha’s was Madhura Bhakti to Krishna. Yugas changed, but its difficult find someone like Radha who loved god throughout their life. Most importantly could love god alone throughout their life.

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2345 on: September 24, 2012, 12:01:00 PM »
Dear Nagaraj,

Though Radha does not find a place in Srimad Bhagavatam, in later works like Jayadeva's Ashtapadi and Narayaneeyam,
she has found her lasting impression. Radha represents the Universal Mother, one may call her Maya or Suddha Maya, but she
is ever living consort of Krishna. She is like Unnamulai with Annamalaiyar.  One disourser said that she is the one print of
8 wives of Krishna. It appears reasonable. Why should the Lord have eight wives? One conglomeration of all the 8 is sufficient
to pray to.

She is ever a lover.  A lover of Grace, Compassion, Love, Mercy, and what not? She represents Jiva that is constantly in the
company of Paramatma.

Arunachala Siva.   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2346 on: September 25, 2012, 09:45:26 AM »
Quote from Sri latha:
“Thank you so much for kind guidance.   I am already noticing that my mental agitations are coming down by thinking of Bhagavan everytime there is a disturbance. 
Yes, I will remember this. Sometimes it is frustrating to see setbacks in my sadhana but seeing a message like this is very encouraging.”

Dear Sri latha

Yes, in Sri Bhagwan’s Path of Atma-Vichara, He is the Commander-in-Chief in the battle against the mental demons of anger, greed, lust, hatred, jealousy, pessimism, negativism, etc.
He has not only shown the wondrous Path of Self-attention, but is there at every step when we falter, or lose patience or courage, or become despondent.
I am cent-percent certain that once a little love and devotion are kindled in one’s heart for Sri Bhagwan and His wondrous Path, it works wonders. Then even His photographs are full of life and capable of transmitting Power and communicate a world of meaning—sometimes gentle, sometimes stern, sometimes smiling, but nevertheless, ALWAYS RADIANTLY RADIATING GOD AND GRACE.
Therefore, once Sri Bhagwan enters one’s life, He is always at hand as the Guru, taking more and more of the devotee’s responsibilities and guiding one to the wonderland of BLISSFUL PEACE AND SILENCE, THAT IS, ONE’S TRUE HOME, THE SWARUPA.

Dear Sri latha, Sri Bhagwan has taught that the individual consciousness is only the reflection of the Fullness of Consciousness of the Self. Therefore, sadhana, as per Sri Bhagwan’s Path, is like a dog tracing its master through his scent and returns home by that single faculty. So also, we have to return HOME TRACING THE INDIVIDUAL CONSCIOUSNESS TO ITS SOURCE.   

Thanks very much.

Pranam,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2347 on: September 25, 2012, 10:08:33 AM »
Dear Sri Nagaraj Ji,

Thanks so much for portraying ‘pangs of separation’ of the languid heart and the ‘Union’ so vividly.
God is Love. THEREFORE, WHEN THE SENSE OF SEPARATENESS IS LOST, WHAT REMAINS IS ONLY EVER-PRESENT, ALL-PERVADING DIVINE LOVE. That is God and that is the Self. THERE IS NOTHING TO KNOW THEN AND THAT IS JNANA.

Dear Sri Nagaraj Ji, this is also the meaning of the great Sage, Sri Kabir’s Saying:
‘All know that the drop merges into the ocean but few know that the ocean merges into the drop.’
This is the essence of Supreme Love and Supreme Devotion and the basis of all creation.

Thanks very much,

Pranam,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2348 on: September 25, 2012, 10:23:35 AM »
Dear Sri Nagaraj Ji, Lover and Beloved merge together in a divine union. What remins is the Divine Love in which there is no Lover and there is no Beloved. ONLY THE LOVE REMAINS WHICH IS ALSO THE SOURCE OF THE LOVER AND THE BELOVED AND ALL THAT APPEARS AND DISAPPEARS.

Yes, pangs of separation is not less blissful. It is because, in my view, it has the essence of the same divine love. IT IS THE INTENSE SENSE OF SEPARATION THAT ONE SEEKS REUNION. If this pang would not be there, how and why and with whom should one seek reunion? Therefore, yes, this pang is the Guru's or the God's Grace.

Thanks very much.

Pranam,
  Anil 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2349 on: September 26, 2012, 08:24:17 AM »
Sri Natesa Iyer, one of the kitchen workers, narrates:

I was Bhagwan’s attendant when He had one of His cancer operations. In those few hours I understood directly what Bhagwan meant when He said, “I am not the body”. His behaviour throughout the operation showed very clearly that the body was just something He was wearing. The flesh was being cut, blood was flowing, and I could see the radium needles that had been inserted into the flesh around the cancer. Bhagwan was fully conscious but utterly indifferent to the procedures that were being carried out on His arm. I was told afterwards that we were in the room with Him for 2.5-3 hours, but while we were with Him there was no awareness whatsoever of the passage of time. We were all consumed by the power of Bhagwan’s silence. Even the doctors were sucked into it. When the operation had been completed, the doctors spontaneously prostrated to Bhagwan.
‘One of them said, “I have operated on many people, but I have never had an experience like this. There is peace in this room that I never felt anywhere else. I cannot describe what it was like except to say that it was unlike anything I have ever experienced before.”
‘I think the doctor spoke for us all. Bhagwan, abiding untroubled and unconcerned in His Natural State of silence, gave us all an immense blessing while He was being cut open by the medical team. It was an awesome display of power and grace that left me in tears.’
‘After an operation like this, one would expect a patient to want quiet and rest, but Bhagwan showed a complete indifference to His body and to the advice of His medical team. Overruling the doctors and the ashram management, He announced that He wanted to give darshan to all devotees who were waiting anxiously outside. As the people filed past Him one by one, Bhagwan made enquiries about the health and well being of the devotees, but refused to talk about His own physical state. If people asked about His operation and the state of His health, He would smile but not give an answer.’
       Source: The Power of the Presence, Part three

Dear Devotees,

Sri Annamalai Swami says that even when the body was experiencing pain, Sri Bhagwan was beyond it. He was not affected by anything that was happening to the body.
Sri Annamalai Swami: There was an awareness of pain but there was no feeling, ‘This is my body; I have pain’. You can be aware of birds flying in and out of a tree without thinking, ‘I am this tree, these birds are mine’. Similarly, Bhagwan could be aware of bodily sensations without thinking, ‘I am this body; this pain is mine’. Bhagwan wore a body in the same way that other people wear a dhoti.

Dear devotees, in our deep sleep, we are not aware of the body. Therefore, it is possible to exist without being aware of the body in any way. However, all our doubts and questions are arising from the body-mind level, from the idea that we are a bodies and individuals. Sri Swami says that we can find out what the relationship between the body and the Self is by experiencing the Self as it really is. BUT TO GET THAT EXPERIENCE WE MUST FIRST BE WILLING TO GIVE UP THE IDEA THAT WE ARE BODIES AND INDVIDUALS. We can never have the experience while we are still clinging to erroneous ideas about the body. And we can never resolve our doubt about the body by mere discussion. We can resolve them by giving them up.

Dear devotees, I have written all this as my response to doubts which are generally expressed as to the availability of Sri Bhawgan’s Grace and Guidance now when He has shed the body, forgetting that He wore the body as men wear a dhoti. He was the Supreme Consciousness embodied when He wore a body. He is the Supreme Consciousness and the Inner Self now that He is without it. THEREFORE, WE SHOULD NOT ATTACH TOO MUCH IMPORTANCE TO BODIES, BOTH OF SRI BHAGWAN’S AND OF OUR OWN. FOR, HE IS HERE. WHERE CAN ALL-PERVADING SUPREME CONSCIOUSNESS, AND THE SELF OF ALL THAT IS, GO AWAY?

Thanks very much.

Pranam,
  Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2350 on: September 26, 2012, 01:00:14 PM »
Dear Anil,,

During the last days, one of the attendants asked Sri Bhagavan:

Swami is your body paining?

Sri Bhagavan replied: Body is paining!

He stood away from the body, and looked at its travails as if seeing an object!

Dr. Guruswami Mudaliar, one of the surgeons said: The pain is called spindle pain. It is as if a spindle is rotated deep[
in the wound. But I am astonished, that He does not even raise His eyebrows on the predicament!

Not that Sri Bhagavan was telling 'You are not the body, you are not the body...' throughout His life. HE DID PROVE
THAT HE WAS NOT THE BODY.

Nisargadatta used to say: You should keep Awareness just above   the body.

Sri Bhagavan proved that He was only Awareness and no body.

Arunchala Siva. 

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #2351 on: September 26, 2012, 04:42:46 PM »
Dear Sri Anil Ji,

Sri Kabir’s Saying:
‘All know that the drop merges into the ocean but few know that the ocean merges into the drop.’
This is the essence of Supreme Love and Supreme Devotion and the basis of all creation.

What a beautiful expression

IT IS THE INTENSE SENSE OF SEPARATION THAT ONE SEEKS REUNION. If this pang would not be there, how and why and with whom should one seek reunion? Therefore, yes, this pang is the Guru's or the God's Grace.

the yearning to go back home, is so beautiful. So very true Dear Anil Ji, "If this pang would not be there, how and why and with whom should one seek reunion? Therefore, yes, this pang is the Guru's or the God's Grace"

Sri Ramakrishna said -

"Cry to the Lord with an intensely yearning heart and you will certainly see Him. People shed a whole jug of tears for wife and children.  They swim in tears for money. But who weeps for God? Cry to Him with a real cry."

"Longing is like the rosy dawn. After the dawn out comes the sun. Longing is followed by the vision of God.

Sri Bhagavan has said -

"One should not use the Name of God mechanically and superficially without the feeling of devotion. To use the name of God one must call upon Him with yearning and unreservedly surrender oneself to Him. Only after such surrender is the Name of God constantly with the man.” (Spiritual Teaching of Ramana Maharshi)

and, what a beautiful picture, Sri Anil Ji, breathtaking, the sun setting, and the waters at poise, it is a benediction. how lovely is Mother Nature, She sustains all of us without complaints, irrespective of how her children are, good or bad.

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2352 on: September 26, 2012, 06:00:21 PM »
Dear Nagaraj,

The separation by the Jiva from god is intense that the bhakta cries, wails, his bones melt and his whole body drains out like water.

Nammazhwar and Manikkavachagar have sung such songs of melting.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2353 on: September 26, 2012, 06:10:37 PM »
Dear Nagaraj, Anil,

Manikkavachakar sings'

மெய்தான் அரும்பி விதிர் விதிர்த்து உன் விரை ஆர் சுழற்கு என்
கைதான் தலை வைத்துக் கண்ணீர் ததும்பி வெதும்பி உள்ளம்
பொய்தான் தவிர்ந்து உன்னைப் போற்றி சய சய போற்றி என்னும்
கைதான் நெகிழ விடேன் உடையாய் என்னைக் கண்டு கொள்ளே. 5

My body bristles with sweat, I shudder, I keep my hand on your anklet wearing
feet and then I place my head, tears roll down, I become cooked , I remove all
my falsity and praise you  Jaya, Jaya. I never leave my hand from your feet,
O My Master, kindly see me (and take me to Your abode!

(Tiruchadakam (Song 5)., Verse 1, Tiruvachakam)

Arunachala Siva.   

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #2354 on: September 26, 2012, 07:12:15 PM »
கைதான்நெகிழ  விடேன்  உடையாய்  என்னைக்  கண்டு கொள்ளே. 

O My Master, kindly see me and take me to Your abode!

this prayer is enough for anything.

Sir, If all our analytical thinking is coupled with this... would be a great blessing

I have heard my iyengar friends, say that some Azhwar songs throw him out of his wits and make him stay transfixed, at the kind of expressions those poets have come up with.

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta