Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 759549 times)

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #2310 on: September 20, 2012, 03:40:48 PM »
Dear Nagaraj, Yes,with that knowlege,nothing can disturb You,and with humilty,and constant reminder,everything is perfect. Everything is That,everything is God indeed,and nothing more we dont need. Such a Beautiful creation this is,with so many spectators,and in the essence,with One and Only. And when we start seeing world,life,like that,the whole new dimension is opened. It it is a Beauty,Wonder of Wonder,magic. We think we serve God,but everything serve us. Yesterday,i watched one bird singing,and it gave me such a plesure and joy. So many beautiful things are here for our enjoyment. How not to love everything then!? How not to love,when all that there is only Love.

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #2311 on: September 20, 2012, 03:59:08 PM »
Yes,dear Sri Anil, What we need to do is only to 'find' our real Home,and You used very good way to convey that. So,Your understanding is correct for me. Thoughts,or no thoughts,our main job is to see Who we are,like You said it. Wish You the Very Best!

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #2312 on: September 20, 2012, 04:24:55 PM »
Dear nobody, Yes,with Bhagavan Ramana's Grace everything will drop off by itself. It is like that for me,at least. I am not intersted in television,news,like i was before. It stoped by itself. I like watching movies,and i find that it is unnecesary distracton,coz they make impresion on me,and later i think about that only. But,like i said,it came by itself,not that i dont want to watch them,only now i am not interested like before.

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #2313 on: September 20, 2012, 04:29:16 PM »
Dear Sri Ravi, Yes,there is two approaches,and that is where main confusion arise. Thank You Very much!

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2314 on: September 21, 2012, 05:13:24 PM »
Quote from Sri Subramanian Sir:
“All these can be overcome only by dragging the mind, which has grabbed these thoughts, back to Self attention. You
may not succeed immediately. But in due course, you may be sucessful.

PS: Do  not for that sake stop reading newspapers. Read them. No harm. Otherwise you may not know that some politician
has pledged your country to Pakistan for some millions of dollars and ran way to Dubai!

Qote from Sri Ravi:
” Anil's quotation from annAmalai swami is valid for one who is enmeshed in thoughts;Nagaraj's statement that thoughts are also the play of self like waves belong to the ocean -this is for one who is aware of the ocean,i.e of the Self.”

Quote from Sri Jewell:
“Yes,dear Sri Anil, What we need to do is only to 'find' our real Home,and You used very good way to convey that. So,Your understanding is correct for me. Thoughts,or no thoughts,our main job is to see Who we are,like You said it. Wish You the Very Best.”

Dear Devotees,

I am really disappointed that I am not able to respond adequately to questions raised and observations made under this topic, which is committed to the Self-enquiry in particular and Sri Bhagwan’s Teaching in general, on account of unavoidable activities in the world outside. However, I feel that if one is firm in meditation, these activities do not obstruct the current of awareness.

Dear Sri Subramanian sir, yours is a very nice post, which, I am sure, must have cleared some of the doubts from the minds of the devotees and seekers with regard to thoughts. Thanks very much, sir.   

Dear Sri Ravi, Ji. Yes. Thanks very much, sir. If one abides as the Self, the whole world is Atma-Swarupam. In that State, one knows that the mind is the Self, bondage is alos the Self and so is everything else. If one has that vision, nothing can bind on, nothing can cause one any misery.
Sri Annamalai Swami: When you abide as the Self, there is no one left to choose and decide. Life goes on automatically. You will pick up the things that are needed, and not pick up the things that are not needed. What you pick up and what you don’t pick up will not be a consequence of what you like or dislike. These preferences will not be there any more.

Sri Swami says that this perspective can be ours when we give up or cease to believe the idea, “I am different from the world”. GIVING UP THIS THOUGHT IS A GREAT SADHANA IN ITSELF. Thanks very much, sir.

Dear Sri Jewell, yes, you have understood me correctly. Thoughts or no thoughts, our duty is to see who we are and be.

However, in the context of ‘keeping up our sadhana in the middle of activities’, I wish to say as following:

Dear Sri Jewell, Bhagwan Sri Paramhamsa Ramakrishna used to give, in reply to such question, the example of a child who was playing by spinning round and round. If the child does this without holding something which is stable, he will soon get dizzy and fall over. But if the same child spins round and round while holding firmly onto a post at arm’s length, the child’s grip on the post will keep him upright and prevent him from falling over.
So also, if in this dizzy, spinning world of samsara, if we hold onto the post of the Self, we will be able to stay upright and not fall over even if we are amidst burgeoning and myriad activities in the world.
Sri Annamalai Swami: Without some protection, contact with worldly matters can prove to be sticky and unpleasant. BUT IF YOU OIL YOURSELF WITH REMEMBRANCE OF THE SELF, YOU CAN MOVE SMOOTHLY AND EFFICIENTLY THROUGH THE WORLD, WITHOUT ANY OF YOUR BUSINESS AFFAIRS STICK TO YOU OR CAUSE YOU ANY TROUBLE OR INCONVENIENCE.

Thanks very much, sir.

Pranam,
  Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2315 on: September 21, 2012, 05:25:44 PM »
Dear Anil,

Many people are mistaken impression that Sadhana is a grim affair, and one should not read newspapers or even occasionally
watch TVs. It is not so. Sri Bhagavan after the day's work, say at 8. pm to 9.pm. would indulge in a lot of jocular talks,
about people, the world etc. Kunju Swami and Viswanatha Swami had mentioned this in their reminiscences.

A Jnani need not a grim faced person like Hitler. He can be jovial, cutting jokes, laughing etc., He lives as the world lives.
He is a mirror and reflects the views of the world. If such a Jnani withdraws Himself into the Self within, then no world would
be forthcoming. His eyes would glean like two pieces of coal. Even devotees would be afraid to go near Him or ask Him anything.

Arunachala Siva. 

right2be

• View Profile
« Reply #2316 on: September 21, 2012, 07:15:19 PM »
Dear Anil,

Many people are mistaken impression that Sadhana is a grim affair, and one should not read newspapers or even occasionally
watch TVs. It is not so. Sri Bhagavan after the day's work, say at 8. pm to 9.pm. would indulge in a lot of jocular talks,
about people, the world etc. Kunju Swami and Viswanatha Swami had mentioned this in their reminiscences.

A Jnani need not a grim faced person like Hitler. He can be jovial, cutting jokes, laughing etc., He lives as the world lives.
He is a mirror and reflects the views of the world. If such a Jnani withdraws Himself into the Self within, then no world would
be forthcoming. His eyes would glean like two pieces of coal. Even devotees would be afraid to go near Him or ask Him anything.

Arunachala Siva.

Dear subramanian

I had a belief that I would have to give up laughter and topics of worldly discussions but this has helped me realize the trick of mind I was wound up in.

As long as I am fixed in the "I" I will be in the self, no matter what discussions and joking I am involved in.

Thanks bro, you really helped me get past something I was trying to overcome.

Namaskar

latha

• View Profile
« Reply #2317 on: September 21, 2012, 07:20:16 PM »
Dear Anilji,

Sri Annamalai Swami: Without some protection, contact with worldly matters can prove to be sticky and unpleasant. BUT IF YOU OIL YOURSELF WITH REMEMBRANCE OF THE SELF, YOU CAN MOVE SMOOTHLY AND EFFICIENTLY THROUGH THE WORLD, WITHOUT ANY OF YOUR BUSINESS AFFAIRS STICK TO YOU OR CAUSE YOU ANY TROUBLE OR INCONVENIENCE.

Thank you, your post is very useful to me.

My understanding is, one has to let the mind and body operate in the world like playing a role in a play. But not to get affected by it or disturbed by it. One's attention needs to be on the Self all the time.

The biggest hurdle or problem for me at this point is, I forget this and repeatedly get sucked into worldly activities and start feeling happy or dejected by them. By Bhagavan's grace, thoughts of the Self and his teachings come back, sometimes sooner, sometimes later.

Instead of constantly holding on to the Self, I am like a person who keeps going in and out of the shade in an extremely hot day.

Om Namo Bhagavate Sri Ramanaya

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2318 on: September 21, 2012, 07:33:57 PM »
Dear latha,

Sri Ramakrishna Parahamsa used to narrate a story. The girls will be playing. But there is something called "thaiychi".
It is a place or a spot, where a girl should come and touch, lest they might be caught. So long one is able to touch
this 'thayichi', then wherever the girls run around and play are not said to be 'out' The Self is also like thaiychi. Do
whatever in the world, but let your mind constantly remember this spot (Self), and you will not go astray.

Remember god or Self - do one;s work in world. You would not be caught.

Arunachala Siva.     

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #2319 on: September 22, 2012, 01:19:18 AM »
“All these can be overcome only by dragging the mind, which has grabbed these thoughts, back to Self attention. You
may not succeed immediately. But in due course, you may be sucessful.

PS: Do  not for that sake stop reading newspapers. Read them. No harm. Otherwise you may not know that some politician
has pledged your country to Pakistan for some millions of dollars and ran way to Dubai!

Qote from Sri Ravi:
” Anil's quotation from annAmalai swami is valid for one who is enmeshed in thoughts;Nagaraj's statement that thoughts are also the play of self like waves belong to the ocean -this is for one who is aware of the ocean,i.e of the Self.”

Quote from Sri Jewell:
“Yes,dear Sri Anil, What we need to do is only to 'find' our real Home,and You used very good way to convey that. So,Your understanding is correct for me. Thoughts,or no thoughts,our main job is to see Who we are,like You said it. Wish You the Very Best.”

Dear Devotees,

I am really disappointed that I am not able to respond adequately to questions raised and observations made under this topic, which is committed to the Self-enquiry in particular and Sri Bhagwan’s Teaching in general, on account of unavoidable activities in the world outside. However, I feel that if one is firm in meditation, these activities do not obstruct the current of awareness.

Dear Sri Subramanian sir, yours is a very nice post, which, I am sure, must have cleared some of the doubts from the minds of the devotees and seekers with regard to thoughts. Thanks very much, sir.   

Dear Sri Ravi, Ji. Yes. Thanks very much, sir. If one abides as the Self, the whole world is Atma-Swarupam. In that State, one knows that the mind is the Self, bondage is alos the Self and so is everything else. If one has that vision, nothing can bind on, nothing can cause one any misery.
Sri Annamalai Swami: When you abide as the Self, there is no one left to choose and decide. Life goes on automatically. You will pick up the things that are needed, and not pick up the things that are not needed. What you pick up and what you don’t pick up will not be a consequence of what you like or dislike. These preferences will not be there any more.

Sri Swami says that this perspective can be ours when we give up or cease to believe the idea, “I am different from the world”. GIVING UP THIS THOUGHT IS A GREAT SADHANA IN ITSELF. Thanks very much, sir.

Dear Sri Jewell, yes, you have understood me correctly. Thoughts or no thoughts, our duty is to see who we are and be.

However, in the context of ‘keeping up our sadhana in the middle of activities’, I wish to say as following:

Dear Sri Jewell, Bhagwan Sri Paramhamsa Ramakrishna used to give, in reply to such question, the example of a child who was playing by spinning round and round. If the child does this without holding something which is stable, he will soon get dizzy and fall over. But if the same child spins round and round while holding firmly onto a post at arm’s length, the child’s grip on the post will keep him upright and prevent him from falling over.
So also, if in this dizzy, spinning world of samsara, if we hold onto the post of the Self, we will be able to stay upright and not fall over even if we are amidst burgeoning and myriad activities in the world.

Thanks very much, sir.

Pranam,
  Anil

Dear Sri Anil,

Yes,like i already said,You are correct. Again,that it is something which is correct in the sense that it can be used by somebody who is the person for that kind of teaching,it is not useful for everybody. Generally,both approaches are correct,only difference is who uses them. You seems like Anammalai Swami,so You should keep follow His teachings. I understand Your good will to tell me what is not good,but i have my own reason to follow. Last quote from Sri Ramakrishna and Anammalai Swami are something whith which i agree completely.
Dear Sri Anil,i just wish to stress something. My last post was not only my trying to be only decent,not Because Sri Ravi said,but What he said,that was my honest replay,because i realised that it is true. When the spiritual meters are subject,i have only one autority to fallow,and that is my Guru,and my own Heart. So,i said only that which i believe to be correct,there is No hidden agenda behind,like my courtesy,or something like that. My courtesy is coming only because of true love and respect.

Wish You the Very Best dear Sri Anil!

latha

• View Profile
« Reply #2320 on: September 22, 2012, 01:34:26 AM »
Dear Subramanianji,

Thank you for your guidance. I will remember Bhagavan and do my work.

Om Namo Bhagavate Sri Ramanaya

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2321 on: September 22, 2012, 10:23:54 AM »

Quote from Sri Latha:
“My understanding is, one has to let the mind and body operate in the world like playing a role in a play. But not to get affected by it or disturbed by it. One's attention needs to be on the Self all the time.

The biggest hurdle or problem for me at this point is, I forget this and repeatedly get sucked into worldly activities and start feeling happy or dejected by them. By Bhagavan's grace, thoughts of the Self and his teachings come back, sometimes sooner, sometimes later.

Instead of constantly holding on to the Self, I am like a person who keeps going in and out of the shade in an extremely hot day.”

“Sri Ramakrishna Parahamsa used to narrate a story. The girls will be playing. But there is something called "thaiychi".
It is a place or a spot, where a girl should come and touch, lest they might be caught. So long one is able to touch
this 'thayichi', then wherever the girls run around and play are not said to be 'out' The Self is also like thaiychi. Do
whatever in the world, but let your mind constantly remember this spot (Self), and you will not go astray.

Remember god or Self - do one;s work in world. You would not be caught.

Arunachala Siva.”

Dear Sri latha,

I am very happy to learn that you are earnestly practicing Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan. Whenever I learn that a devotee is doing Enquiry, I feel that we have gathered at His Feet only. Yes. His grace is in operation. There can be no looking back. You yourself have mentioned that by Sri Bhagwan’s Grace, thoughts of the Self and His Teaching come back, sometimes sooner, sometimes later. That is the sure sign of the manifestation of His Grace. There is no doubt about that.

Dear Sri latha, all you have to do now is to persevere with the practice, as Sri Subramanian Sir advised you—‘let your mind constantly remember the Spot, the Self, and you will not go astray. AND IF IT GOES ASTRAY, BRING IT BACK AS OFTEN AS IT GOES ASTRAY AND FIX IT IN THE SELF.
Sri Bhagwan : A sadhak must remain as the Self. If he cannot do so, he must ascertain the true meaning of the ‘I’ and constantly revert back to it whenever other thoughts arise. That is the practice (Talk—647).

All I can do is to assure you that with practice your meditation will become firmer and firmer, and the frequency of the mind wandering outside and grazing the sense objects will certainly decrease and the duration of abidance in the Self will increase.

Dear latha, one more thing I would like to stress. THE PATH HAS BEEN LIGHTED BY BHAGWAN SRI RAMANA. HIS GRACE AND PERSEVERANCE WITH THE PRACTICE AS SHOWN ARE THE KEY TO SUCCESS. IT WILL DO TONS OF GOOD IF YOU ALWAYS REMEMBER THIS !

Thanks very much.

Pranam,
  Anil   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2322 on: September 22, 2012, 10:25:34 AM »
Quote from Sri Jewell:
1.“Yes,like i already said,You are correct. Again,that it is something which is correct in the sense that it can be used by somebody who is the person for that kind of teaching,it is not useful for everybody. Generally,both approaches are correct,only difference is who uses them. You seems like Anammalai Swami,so You should keep follow His teachings. I understand Your good will to tell me what is not good,but i have my own reason to follow. Last quote from Sri Ramakrishna and Anammalai Swami are something whith which i agree completely.
Dear Sri Anil,i just wish to stress something. My last post was not only my trying to be only decent,not Because Sri Ravi said,but What he said,that was my honest replay,because i realised that it is true. When the spiritual meters are subject,i have only one autority to fallow,and that is my Guru,and my own Heart. So,i said only that which i believe to be correct,there is No hidden agenda behind,like my courtesy,or something like that. My courtesy is coming only because of true love and respect.”

2.“Because your "I Amness" is not there, you do not know yourself. When you began knowing that you are, you did a lot of mischief, but when the "I Am" is not there, there is no question of mischief.

Q: Is the "I Am" there all the time, as long as my body is there?

M: The "I Am" is absent only in the state of samadhi, when the self merges into the Self. Otherwise, it will be there. In the state of a realized person the "I Am" is there; he just doesn't give much importance to it. A jnani is not guided by a concept.”

Dear Sri Jewell,

With regard to your first quote, I wish to say that I believe deeply that there is essential unity in all spiritual matters. Therefore, I do not discern any disunity in what you and Sri Ravi have affirmed from that of my own understanding and intuition. On the contrary, I discern the inevitable unity in what we all—Sri Subramanian Sir, Sri Ravi, Sri Nagaraj, you, I, and others are trying to convey here to each other. THIS IS THE SATSANGA. HEART IS SPEAKING TO HEART. WE ALL ARE LOVE, AND IN LOVE.

However, dear Sri Jewell, I wish to respond to your second quote (from Sri Nisaragadatta Maharaj) as follows:

“THAT WHICH IS DOES NOT EVEN SAY ‘I AM’.
The Brihadaranyaka Upanishad reveals that ‘Aham nama abhavat’ or He became I named. Aham or ‘I’ therefore is the Original Name of God.
Dear Sri Jewell, THE ABSOLUTE OR THE SUPREME BEING OR BRAHMAN IS UNMANIFEST AND SRI BHAGWAN HAS TAUGHT THAT THE FIRST SIGN OF MANIFESTATION IS THE ‘AHAM SPHURANA’ OR THE LIGHT OF ‘I’.
So, the ‘I’ arises from the Absolute and gives rise to intellect. Sri Bhagwan says that in the intellect the ‘I’ looks the size and shape of the body.
ABSOLUTE
AHAM,OR ‘I-I’, OR ‘I AM’
INTELLECT
Intellect crossing over ‘Aham’ cannot discover the Absolute or Brahman.

Sri Bhagwan further says that the Reality is that which transcends all concepts, including that of God. IN AS MUCH AS WE USE THE NAME OF GOD, IT CANNOT BE TRUE,IT CANNOT BE ABSOLUTE REALITY.
Dear Sri Jewell, Sri Bhagwan has taught that Absolute Being is what is—It is the Self. Being is the Self. ‘I am’ is the Name of God. And the Self is God.
We must at this stage understand the import of Sri Bhagwan’s Statement: “I AM” IS THE TRUTH.  THE EXPERIENCE OF ‘I AM’ IS TO BE STILL. SILENCE IS ‘I’.

Thanks very much.

Pranam,
  Anil

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #2323 on: September 22, 2012, 12:36:32 PM »
Some discernment...

When we discern that intellect crossing 'Aham' cannot discover the Absolute or Brahman, and when we discenr that 'I' arises from the Absolute, and gives rise to intellect. A rippened intellect realises that intellect also is the Absolute itself and that to distinguish intellect from the Self is not right, and such a one ceases from even striving to seek the source of intellect, just remains, reposes, such a one no longer bothers about realisation, attainment, Salvation, liberation. It is only throught the intellect, the Self is able to 'experience' bliss. If there is no rise of intellect, there would be no experience of 'Self' of 'Bliss' The purpose of intellect arising is to See the Self. Once that is over

The intellect, ike a pressure cooker, stops whistles, and is brought down from fire, just is let to cool down. When the Rice (intellect) is cooked, there is no more any need to cook further. The cooking is finished!

When we say experience, we can say it as intuiotion, realisation of Self, Seeing the Self, etc...

From this context, i discern that all the major Tatvas, ie. Advaita, Dvaita and Visishtadvaita are all correct.

Advaita, realises that the risen intellect is just the Self, the Visishtadvaitin realises, intellect as Visishta, qualifiedpart of the Self, that seeks to attain prapatti of the Self, where from it origninates, the Dvaitain realises the intellect as ever seperate from Self, as the 'Chit' The Buddhist say the intellect arouse from Self that is attributeless, hence they refer it as Sunya, Sunya is nothing or everything. Infinity. They even negate Self Experience, as to experience Self, intellect as to arise from Self what Is. As Self there is nothing, no experience, no Self Experience as well. Therefore, Intellect arises only to taste the Self, See the Self, Intellect is a mirror.

What matter what Tatva it is, it is no more of any importance.

What is important is that, when one sees the essence of all these, one becomes really grounded and does not fly in the ether of unawareness. Be it Advaita, Dvaita, Visihtadvaita or sunyata.

He no more is in any race, be it worldly or spiritually. He is no longer inspired or longs to attain some goal. He is.

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Hari

• View Profile
    • Fundamental questions about mind
« Reply #2324 on: September 22, 2012, 01:13:59 PM »
Some discernment...

When we discern that intellect crossing 'Aham' cannot discover the Absolute or Brahman, and when we discenr that 'I' arises from the Absolute, and gives rise to intellect. A rippened intellect realises that intellect also is the Absolute itself and that to distinguish intellect from the Self is not right, and such a one ceases from even striving to seek the source of intellect, just remains, reposes, such a one no longer bothers about realisation, attainment, Salvation, liberation. It is only throught the intellect, the Self is able to 'experience' bliss. If there is no rise of intellect, there would be no experience of 'Self' of 'Bliss' The purpose of intellect arising is to See the Self. Once that is over

The intellect, ike a pressure cooker, stops whistles, and is brought down from fire, just is let to cool down. When the Rice (intellect) is cooked, there is no more any need to cook further. The cooking is finished!

When we say experience, we can say it as intuiotion, realisation of Self, Seeing the Self, etc...

From this context, i discern that all the major Tatvas, ie. Advaita, Dvaita and Visishtadvaita are all correct.

Advaita, realises that the risen intellect is just the Self, the Visishtadvaitin realises, intellect as Visishta, qualifiedpart of the Self, that seeks to attain prapatti of the Self, where from it origninates, the Dvaitain realises the intellect as ever seperate from Self, as the 'Chit' The Buddhist say the intellect arouse from Self that is attributeless, hence they refer it as Sunya, Sunya is nothing or everything. Infinity. They even negate Self Experience, as to experience Self, intellect as to arise from Self what Is. As Self there is nothing, no experience, no Self Experience as well. Therefore, Intellect arises only to taste the Self, See the Self, Intellect is a mirror.

What matter what Tatva it is, it is no more of any importance.

What is important is that, when one sees the essence of all these, one becomes really grounded and does not fly in the ether of unawareness. Be it Advaita, Dvaita, Visihtadvaita or sunyata.

He no more is in any race, be it worldly or spiritually. He is no longer inspired or longs to attain some goal. He is.

I totally agree with these reasonings!
Web Page dedicated to the Great Sages:
https://someoneelsebg.000webhostapp.com/Sages/HTML.html