Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 756489 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #225 on: December 06, 2010, 08:56:42 AM »
  Ji, yes, because the Self is our own being, feeling etc. can only be of the realm of the mind only.  I meant to say only that the feeling appeas to be deeper than the ordinary thoughts. In the current issue of the Mountain Path Sri N. A. Mohan Rao under the ' Understgnding Self-enquiry' says that ' feeling may be said to be more intimate to us than thought. We can see this clearly from the fact that, generally speaking, we can change a thought quickly at will, but not so a feeling. While thought way be said to be superficial, being essentially confined to  the mind, feeling would somehow appear to run deeper in our being. Feeling is therefore, said to belong to the category of experience, while thought is that of knowledge.'

Dear Sir, since feeling plays a far greater role than reason, I feel that Sri Rao's analysis of thought, reason and feeling are helpful in Self- enquiry. Sir, will you kindly throw some more light on feeling aspect of the mind. Thank you. Regards, Anil 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #226 on: December 07, 2010, 03:33:35 AM »
  Dear Sri Uday Shankar,

Yes, how can one end that which is not ? It is the realisation of the non-existence of the body-mind complex.

Dear Sri Uday Shankar, existential doubt led me to Self-enquiry first and then I came to Infinitely Merciful and Munificent Bhagwan Sri Ramama, seeking Him only and realising His  Grace crystal clear.   Idetification with body-mind gradually weakened. But, no, I am not yet realised. Thank you.

Regards,
                Anil 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #227 on: December 07, 2010, 06:09:45 AM »
  Dear Sri Udai Shankar,

Sri Bhagwan reavealed that Guru, Self and God are One. I am all the time in  Self-enquiry but I do not seek realisation nor crave for liberation by that. I crave and seek my True Self which is the Munificent Feet of my Guru, which I know  is ' Full of Grace' and 'Occean of Nectar', as the innermost core of my heart. Thank you.

Regards,
                 Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #228 on: December 07, 2010, 09:32:32 AM »
  Question: How can we keep up our sadhana in the middle of all our daily activities ? It is difficult.
 Sri Annamalai Swami : " Without some protection, contact with worldly matters can prove to be sticky and unplesant. But if you oil yourself with remembrance of the Self, you can move smoothly and efficiently through the world, without having any of your busriness affairs stick to you or cause you any trouble or inconveneince. When there is remembrance of the Self, everything in life proceeds smoothly, and there is no attachment to the work being done."
  In reply to a question whether we should be so quiet and uninterested that we allow other people  tn take advantage of our passivity Sri Annamalai Swami says that you can be quiet within and be tough on the outside, if that is the role you have to play in the world.

I feel that the above teaching of Sri Annamalai Swami be adhered to and practiced by all earnest seekers.

Thank you,
               Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #229 on: December 07, 2010, 09:58:16 AM »
  The last three lines should be read as ' should be adhered to and practiced by all earnest seekers. Thank you. Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #230 on: December 07, 2010, 04:37:35 PM »
  Sri Bhagwan has said that the japa or the chanting is a very effective means for the purification of the mind.

Devotee : I find uttering the japa of 'Om', 'Om', to be very easy. May I continue to do it ? Please guide me.
  Sri Bhagwan : It is good. Aham, 'I' , 'I' can be used. It comes directly from the source, the heart.
Devotee : Is it a mantra to be used as such ?
  Sri Bhagwan : Oh ! You only wanted a mantra. You say 'Om' is easy for you. Why not continue with that ?  Why have you started doubting its efficacy ?
After a few minutes Sri Bhagwan said, " what was indicated is that 'aham' would be more effective as it comes directly from the heart centre."  Thank you. Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #231 on: December 07, 2010, 04:49:42 PM »
  The above conversation has been quoted from ' More Talks With Sri Raman Maharshi ' by Sri N. N. Rajan, no. 132, page-76. Thank you. Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #232 on: December 07, 2010, 05:01:23 PM »

Bhagavan Ramana has said in Who am I?:  "Nan is from Heart.
Even if one meditates "Nan-Nan", it will take you back to the Heart."
He has also clarified that while the question Who am I? is not a
mantra, I-I is a mantra and can be chanted.  But many devotees
even in His time, thought that this was something novel, and so they hesitated. 

Bhagavan Ramana had to clarify this in Day by Day dt. 22.11.1945:

Bhagavan said:  "Talking of all mantras, the Brihadaranyaka Upanishad says 'Aham' ["I"] is the first name of God.  The first
letter in Sanskrit is 'A' and the last letter is 'Ha' and 'Aha' thus includes everything from beginning to end.  The word ayam means
that which exists, self shining, and self evident.  Ayam, atma and
Aham all refer to the same thing.

In Talks No. 518, again He has said:

....The Supreme Being is unmanifest and the first sign of manifestation is aham sphurana [the light of 'I'].  The Brihadaranyaka Upanishad says:  Aham nama abhavat  - He
became I named.  That is the original name of Reality.

Muruganar has said 'am' is the original name of God, Jehovah,
the Hebrew name of God.

Bhagavan says in Talks No. 106:

You always exist.  The Be-ing is the Self.  'I am' is the name of
God.  Of all the definitions of god, none is so well put as  the
Biblical statement:  I am that I am. in Exodus Chapter 3. .......

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #233 on: December 08, 2010, 06:56:34 AM »
  Dear Sri Subramanian Sir, what I felt and wished to say, you said much better with classical elegance. Thank you so much. Regards. Anil.

ramanaduli

• View Profile
« Reply #234 on: December 08, 2010, 07:29:08 AM »
Dear Subramaniyan ji,

It seems "A" the letter denotes lots of meaning. In english it is the beginning letter as well as in other languages.  In tamil it is called "Uir ezhuthu" means it has got life.
So in christianity they say Amen. Bhagavan also says Aham spurana. All jivas know "he is" i,e, self is always there. We are self. not mind and body or anyother things.

Ramanaduli

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #235 on: December 08, 2010, 10:13:07 AM »
  Dear Sri Subramanian Sir and Sri ramanaduli,

" The supreme being is unmanifest and the first sign of manifestation is Aham Sphurana ( light of 'I' ). The Brihadaranyaka Upanishad says Aham nama abhavat ( He became 'I' named ). That is the original name of the Reality."

From Talks, no. 518

And,
  " Maya cannot obscure Sat, but it does obscure Chit and Ananda, making them appear as particulars."

Talks, no. 100
  Now, Sri N. A. Mohan Rao, in the current issue of the Mountain Path, says that " the concept of spurana allows us to discuss abidance in subject-I and undifferentiated-I in common. IT is advantageous, since, for all practical purposes, we as sadhakas do not have to distinguish between them any time. All that we have to do is merely keep holding our abidance, and it changes from subject-I to undifferentiated-I on itr own. The subsequent abidance in the Self too follows on its own, except that a brief discontinuity will be encountered before this ultimate step."

Sri Rao has clarified that the intellect is able to cognise the higher manifestations of 'I' in sphurana because Maya cannot obscure Sat ( being or existence ) though it does obscure Chit and Ananda. ( Talks, no. 100 ) Hence the being or the existence aspect is transparent to the intellect, and is realised as sphurana.

By subject-I and undifferentiated-I, Sri Rao mean the sentient part of the ego and the light of I-I, light of I in the sense of ' the I that is the light, the first manifestation of the Self.

I feel that this a very brilliant elucidation which may be very helpful in sadhana. Thank you.

Regards,
                Anil   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #236 on: December 08, 2010, 01:30:04 PM »
  The word ' respectively' should be added as the last word in the second paragraph from the last paragraph.  Thank you. Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: December 09, 2010, 07:32:09 AM »
  Sri Bhagwan says that Atmavichara consists in sifting the Reality from unreality. ( Talk 298 ) He says that after the rise of the I-thought, 'I' is wrongly associated with the body, the mind, the senses, etc. and the true 'I' is lost sight of. Therefore, Atmavichara is the sifting of the pure 'I' from the contaminated 'I'. (Talk 266)

Sri Bhagwan says that the Self is the Infinite 'I-I'. It is eternal having no origin and no end, while the other 'I' is born and also dies. He asks us to see to whom are the changing thoughts.

Devotee: I am aware of the 'I'. Yet my troubles are not ended.
Sri Bh: This I-thought is not pure. It is contaminated due to association with the body and senses. See to whom the trouble is. It is to the I-thought. Hold it. Then the other thoughts vanish.
Devotee: Yes, how to do it ? That is the whole trouble.
Sri Bh: Think 'I' 'I' 'I' and hold to that one thought to the exclusion of all others.
          Talk 266

Thank you,
                Anil   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #238 on: December 09, 2010, 09:12:30 AM »

Bhagavan:  To enable the sadhaka to steer clear of possible
doubt, I tell him to take up the 'thread' or the clue of 'I'-ness
or 'I-am'-ness and follow it up to its source.  Because, firstly,
it is impossible for anybody to entertain any doubt about his
'I' notion; secondly whatever be the sadhana adopted, the final
goal is the realization  of the source of 'I-am'-ness which is the
primary datum of your experience.  If you, therefore, practice
Atma-Vichara you will reach the Heart, which is the Self.

- Maharshi's Gospel.

Bhagavan:  Because every kind of sadhana except that of Atma-
Vichara presupposes the retention of the mind as the instrument
for carrying the sadhana, and without the mind, it cannot be practiced.  The ego may take different and subtler forms at the
different stage of one's practice, but is itself never destroyed....

The attempt to destroy the ego or the mind through sadhanas
other than Atma-Vichara, is just like the thief turning out a policeman to catch the thief, that is, himself.  Atma Vichara
alone can reveal the truth that neither the ego nor the mind really exists, and enable one to realize the pure, undifferentiated being of the Self or the Absolute.

-- Maharshi's Gospel.

Arunachala Siva.         

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #239 on: December 09, 2010, 10:05:04 AM »
  Sri Bhagwan says, " Think 'I' 'I' 'I' and hold on to that single thought to the exclusion of all others."
  Self enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is basically subjective where as meditation is objective.

"aham-apetakam nija-vibhanakam
  mahad-idam-tapo ramana-vagiyam"

When the individual 'I' has disappeared and the real 'I-I' has been found, that is excellent tapas. Ramana says this.
       V-30, Upadesa Saram

'Who am I' question turns the attention of the sadhak back instantly on the I-thought from the 'idam'. Now focussed attention on the I-thought will cause shedding or falling of the predicate or insentient part of the ego or the I-thought leaving sentient suaject alone. The sentient subject 'I' cannot survive without the body. Since it is unstable when isolated, it merges with the Infinite and eternal 'I-I' resulting in the realisation of the 'nija-vibhanakam'. The key is holding on to the 'abidance' as one gets, from the very beginnig, first in the cotaminated I-thought ,in the subjective feeling,  and then in the purer sentient subject 'I' and ultimately till its merger in the true Self. Holding on to the abidance constantly as one progresses, accomplishes the task of its own accord. There is no doubt about that. Besides, it is very important to note that as the conptant abidance leads a sadhal from mere subjective feeling of I-ness to the actual realisation of the true Self, vasanas of their own accord go on diminishing. And when one reaches one's natural state and when the 'Eye of the Self' fall on them ( vasanas ), they all are annihilated.

Thank you,
                 Anil