Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 756196 times)

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #2235 on: September 08, 2012, 08:36:57 PM »
Just to correct something,it wasnt coma like example but total anaesthesia. My mistake,sorry.

Hari

• View Profile
    • Fundamental questions about mind
« Reply #2236 on: September 08, 2012, 09:28:38 PM »
Dear Jewell your understanding is correct. Here I will try to clarify your objections.

How can i know that witness? Isnt that witness part of the consciousness too? You are right when you say that i know after i woke up from coma,but only after it,not in the middle of it. From the way i look on it,witness is part of the game too.

This witness is a witness until the illusion that there is something other exists. Even the realization "I, I" is mind's game. The Self cannot say "I, I". In "I, I" there is duality where the Subject is also an object. It is where the mind becomes more and more empty and witnesses its emptiness and nature which is the Self. Finally it fades away and only the Self remains. The Self is not "I, I", "I" or whatever. The Self is just beingness. The mind is illusory entity and its job is to realize its illusion and to 'merge' into Reality. So everything we say, however it sounds is just a play of the mind.

when i am unconscious it look like everything stopped that moment,i woke up,and didnt felt that i was gone. In that moment there is nothing,void. If i say witness existed then,then it will be based only on belief. Like,i am aware that i am aware,but there is someone who is aware. If there is not that someone,where is there Awareness too? I cant go far from that.

Who is unconscious? Is it the Self or the mind? Because we think we are the mind we must 'experience' what the mind is meant to experience. Mind is active during wakefulness and dream because of the play of rajas and sattva gunas and is dull during deep sleep and coma, may be death because of the play of tamo guna. It is like a glass. If you cover it with black paint does it make the glass black? In the same way does tamo guna make the Self unconscious? Just as we cannot see through the glass painted black so we cannot experience the Self when we identify It with tamo guna. It is the same with wakefulness and dreams, hallucinations, visions. The difference it that they are associated with different proportions between the three gunas.

I remember a story Papaji has narrated. Papaji came to Lord Ramana. He was very devoted to Lord Krishna. He had very real experience with Lord Krishna, more real than this world. One day Papaji went to a place on the other side of the Hill. Then He returned to Bhagavan. Bhagavan asked Him: "What were you doing, Poonja?". "I played with Krishna" said Papaji with a enthusiasm and big smile on His face. "Oh, you have played with Krishna. Very Good" said Bhagavan. Papaji felt very contented. "Where is Krishna now? Do You see it?". "No" answered Papaji. "Whatever comes and goes is not real. He who sees the God is only real"! These words has stricken right in Papaji's mind. From this moment He has realized the Self. From this moment Papaji has 'overcomed' even the purest of the gunas - sattva guna.
Web Page dedicated to the Great Sages:
https://someoneelsebg.000webhostapp.com/Sages/HTML.html

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #2237 on: September 08, 2012, 10:40:15 PM »
Dear Hari, This is a nice story. And about consciousness,mind,all that,You are right,that is still in the mind realm,and play of it. I will leave it there,coz i have a feeling that my head is like a watermellon.:) And,for You,and all friends here,those are all my thoughts only,and i sincerly hope it wont disturb anyone,coz the same subject is by its nature very confusing. Wish You the Very Best Hari!

Hari

• View Profile
    • Fundamental questions about mind
« Reply #2238 on: September 08, 2012, 10:55:39 PM »
Dear Jewell,
I know what are you talking about. We cannot know what Self-realization is before we are Self-realized.

Let there be peace upon you,
Hari
Web Page dedicated to the Great Sages:
https://someoneelsebg.000webhostapp.com/Sages/HTML.html

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: September 09, 2012, 04:04:48 AM »
Thank for that dear Hari.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2240 on: September 09, 2012, 10:28:04 AM »
Dear Devotees,

So much discussion seems to have taken place in my absence. However, I wish to say as follows:

One Reality is the Self from which springs the ego. THE EGO IS THE REFLECTION OF THE SELF.  If this is understood, all else can be understood in their proper perspective. The ego contains the seeds of predispositions. The Self is the only Sentience or Illumination. So, Sri Bhagwan says that It is the Self which illumines the ego, the predispositions and also the gross senses, and as a result, the predispositions APPEAR to the senses to have materialised as the universe. To whom all these become perceptible? To the ego which is merely the reflection of the Self.

The subsisting mind is the real problem and source of all trouble.  THE FACT OF EGO RISING FROM THE SELF AND FORGETTING IT AND IDENTIFYING ITSELF WITH THE BODY, IS THE BIRTH OF ALL CONFUSION AND MOTHER OF ALL SORROWS AND UNHAPPINESS.
We must understand that ‘I’ of dream is different from the ‘I’ of the waking state, and both ‘I’s are unreal. What to speak about the spurious ‘I’s ! An ‘I’ rises forth with every thought and dies with the thought itself. SEE THAT FOR YOURSELF REMAING AS MERE BE-ING. Sri Bhagwan has taught that thus many ‘I’s are born and die every moment.
Dear devotees, we must understand that our own Self, the Swarupa, is  the SUBSTRATUM  of the mind, and which continues all along giving rise to so many ‘I’ and myriad scenes every moment.

It is said that Brahman is only the Jivanmukta’s mind. A jivanmukta is spoken of as the Knower of Brahman. But is this statement true? No. Brahman can never be an object to be known. WHEN WILL WE UNDERSTAND THAT IT SAID FROM THE STAND-POINT OF IGNORANCE ONLY?  In absolute Truth there is no mind-sattvic or rajasic or tamasic. Sattvic or the pure mind is surmised for the jivanmuktas and  God only  for the sake of the argument “otherwise how do the realised live and act?”. So, the sattvic mind is admitted as a concession to argument. That is all.
PLEASE TELL ME WHAT IS THE SATTVIC MIND? SATTVIC MIND IS THE ABSOLUTE CONSCIOUSNESS.  So why it is called mind then? Because even ‘ knowledge of witness’ is the function of the reflection, abhasa. But the mind itself is inoperative in the Realised. So it is the sattvic mind. But the object to be witnessed and the witness itself merge together and the Absolute Consciousness alone reigns supreme. THAT IS THE SWARUPA, THE REAL SELF. MERE BE-ING.

OUR TRUE LIFE IS THE TRUE EXISTENCE, LIFE UNCONDITIONED AND ETERNAL. BODY IS THE MENTAL PROJECTION AND THE MIND IS THE EGO. Therefore, it is the mind-body which is distracting and straying away from the Self. Self, our Real Swarupa remains unaffected.
It is for the non-self which in sheer illusion thinks itself to be separate. A mere fleeting thought it is. SO LONG AS THIS THINKING AND SENSE OF SEPARATION CONTINUES THERE WILL BE AFFLICTING THOUGHTS AND CONFUSIONS GALORE. If the original Source is regained and the sense of separation is put an end to, THERE IS PEACE, STILLNESS, SHIVA AS BE-ING.

Moreover, I saw an observation the other day about ‘I-I’ Consciousness. Sri Bhagwan has taught without ambiguity whatever that :
THAT WHICH IS BROKEN AND WHICH RISES AND FALLS IS THE TRANSIENT EGO ‘I’.
THAT WHICH HAS NEITHER ORIGIN NOR END IS THE PERMANENT ‘I-I’ CONSCIOUSNESS, UNBROKEN, EVER-PRESENT REALITY, ABSOLUTE SELF-CONSCIOUSNESS, THAT IS, ‘I AM’.
WITNESS?
THERE IS NO WITNESS, ONLY THE PRESENCE!

Thanks very much.

Pranam,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2241 on: September 09, 2012, 10:36:31 AM »

Quote from my previous post:
“It is a well known story that Sri Bhagwan, once while wandering on the northern slope of Sri Arunachala, saw a Big Banyan Tree on a large flat rock. It is also well known that He continued to climb but, as He was drawing nearer, He disturbed a hornet’s nest and the hornets in all fury attacked the Leg which had offended them, in revenge, Sri Bhagwan meekly  accepting the punishment.”

Dear Devotees,

Sri Bhagwan felt remorse for having destroyed the hornet’s nest though it was accidental. Sri Bhagwan’s act of meekly accepting the punishment is questioned thus by Sri Muruganar in a verse:

Sighting an overgrown, green-leaved bush, and
When stepping on it stung by hornets to have legs
swollen,
Venkata, in truth, why was an accidental intrusion
Treated without mercy, just as a wanton transgression?

Sri Bhagwan also responded likewise in a verse thus:

“When I was stung by hornets in revenge
Upon the leg until it was inflamed,
Although it was by chance I stepped upon
Their nest, constructed in a leafy bush;
What kind of mind is his if he does not
At least repent for doing such a wrong.”

Dear devotees, although it was by chance and accidental, but all the same, a wrong had been done. This incidence teaches that even if a wrong is committed unknowingly, we are not completely absolved of the responsibility. Therefore, at least remorse or repentance, for even accidental wrong-doing, is perfectly in place for devotees.  FOR, SELF ALONE IS THE TRUE LIFE. Therefore, having compassion for all forms of life is, in my view, true worship of God in forms.

Thanks very much.

Pranam,
  Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2242 on: September 09, 2012, 11:58:13 AM »
Dear Anil,

This is one of the anecdotes that Sri Bhagavan was the most compassionate One. Muruganar's Tamizh originals can be
seen in Sri Ramana Sanndihi Murai.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2243 on: September 09, 2012, 02:26:12 PM »
Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

Ji. Yes. I have never heard of a more compassionate act by anyone anywhere.

Dear sir, if Sri Bhagwan’s Teaching is the Sacred Vedanta for me, ‘Guru Vachaka Kovai’ is Its ‘Bhashyam’ and Sri Ramana Sannidhi Murai is the ‘Bhagavatam’. But unfortunately the version of the ‘Sri Ramana Sannidhi Murai’ translated by Prof. Sri K. Swaminathan, and published by the Ashramam, is the not the complete work.
I wish to know whether translation of the Sri Ramana sannidhi Murai, complete work, is available. If yes, kindly give the details so that I may obtain one for myself.

Thanks very much, sir.

Pranam,
  Anil 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2244 on: September 09, 2012, 02:52:31 PM »
Dear Anil,

Sri Ramana Sannidhi Murai has not been rendered in English (fully) so far. I am not sure whether anyone is trying to do it.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2245 on: September 09, 2012, 07:55:06 PM »
Dear Sri Subramanian Sir, I shall request you to kindly do it yourself. If nobody has done it so far, it is perhaps left for you to do it. It will benefit greatly those devotees of Sri Bhagwan who do not know Tamil. I hope you would consider my request seriously and undertake the project sooner or later. Thanks very much, sir. Pranam, Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2246 on: September 09, 2012, 08:09:24 PM »
Dear Anil,

It needs a Himalayan effort. However, if Sri Bhagavan's will is there, this will happen. Incidentally Sri Ramana Puranam, the first long
poem has been done by David Godman and it is available as a separate book in the Asramam.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2247 on: September 10, 2012, 08:24:36 AM »
Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

Ji. Yes. I understand the difficulty in undertaking such a massive intellectual project. I understand what it will be like to translate the Spontaneous, Divine Utterances of the Divine Poet of the Divine Court of the Divine. However, if Sri Bhagwan wills so, I am certain that this task can be performed by you with divine ease. If that happens, I believe, that too will be an act of Sri Bhagwan’s Grace.

Ji. Yes. I have with me a copy of Sri Ramana Puranam, tr. By Sri D. Godman, and I have even cited a few times from the book under this topic.

Thanks very much, sir.

Pranam,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2248 on: September 10, 2012, 08:30:17 AM »
Sri Ganapati Muni raised the question regarding the need of the hour in the context of the freedom struggle for the country. Sri Bhagwan replied laconically:

“The need of the hour is to feel no need at all, but to heed what is within and search.”

Dear Devotees,

All that ‘I’ see , think or do is in truth one but comprises of two notions : the ‘all’ that is seen and the ‘I’ does the seeing, thinking and doing, and says ‘I’—the seer and the seen—the subject and the object. Which of these two is more real, true and important? Obviously it is the seer who is more important, since all that is seen is dependent on it. Therefore, Sri Bhagwan’s Direct and Straight Teaching seeks to teach us to turn our attention to the seer who is the source of our ‘I’ and realise That rather than remaining enmeshed in the world of unending ‘all’ that is seen. This is exactly what we have been doing from time immemorial. NOW IS THE HIGH TIME TO SHIFT THE DIRECTION OF OUR SIGHT BY 180 DEGREE AND TURN THE ATTENTION WITHIN.
Yes. So far from the time infinity, we have been studying the object , not the subject. NOW IS THE TIME TO FIND OUT WHAT REALITY THIS WORD ‘I’ STANDS FOR.  All Sri Bhagwan asks us to do is to find the entity which is the source of the expression referred to by ‘I’ with which we are so familiar. Are we not?
Dear devotees, whether we are aware or not, Sri Bhagwan’s Direct Teaching is like panacea to us. Once one is truly exposed to it, it is certain to sweep away the sorrows, doubts and unrest haunting perennially the mind till then.

Sri Bhagwan’s Method appears so simple for Self-realisation. Yet why do some say that it is difficult?
Yes, there is difficulty too. We have to overcome our present false values and erroneous identification. FALSE VALUES AND WRONG IDENTIFICATION MUST GO AWAY FOR REALISATION TO HAPPEN. It is for the removal of only false values and wrong identification that Sri Bhagwan says that the quest requires concentrated effort and steadfast abidance in the Source when that is reached.

But Sri Bhagwan assures thus:
But don’t let that deter you. THE RISE OF THE URGE TO SEEK FOR THE ‘I’ IS ITSELF AN ACT OF DIVINE GRACE. ONCE THIS URGE GETS HOLD OF YOU, YOU ARE IN ITS CLUTHCHES. THE GRIP OF THE DIVINE GRACE NEVER RELAXES AND IT FINALLY DEVOURS YOU, JUST AS THE PREY IN A TIGER’S JAWS IS NEVER ALLOWED TO ESCAPE.
In making our individuality the worthy food for the Divine lies our true fulfilment!

Thanks very much.

Pranam,
  Anil       

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #2249 on: September 10, 2012, 08:54:48 AM »
Anil,

“The need of the hour is to feel no need at all, but to heed what is within and search.”

Humourous yet so central and Vital,as always Sri Bhagavan's all powerful Brahmastra is devastating :)

I recall another incident where Sri Ganapathi Muni told Sri Bhagavan that one can live happily with just 3 Rs a month!Sri Bhagavan told him that one can live happily if one can get rid of the thought that 3 rupees is necessary(paraphrased)!

Truly Sri Bhagavan is indeed unique in that he so simply swept all the cobwebs and always drove home the central and most vital Teaching-Know thyself and Be free.

Namaskar.