Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 755808 times)

Ravi.N

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #2145 on: August 29, 2012, 12:01:57 PM »
Anil,

" I feel that the Board ‘Teaching of Bhagwan Sri Raman Maharshi’ is devoted to His Teaching alone and those who are visiting it are likely to be disappointed and confused, if instead of Sri Bhagwan’s Teaching, they find here numerous teachings by the numerous gurus. There are other boards and places under the Forum itself where, in my view, it is perfectly all right, to post or discuss to one’s heart’s satisfaction, what one wants to and I am sure that these contributions would only enrich the Forum. ONE SHOUD NOT MIX UP ANYTHING ELSE WITH THE ENLIGHTENING WORDS OF BHAGWAN SRI RAMANA. ITS PURITY MUST REMAIN INTACT"

I appreciate what you are saying and totally agree.Sri Bhagavan's teachings are absolutely universal and so fundamental and what more,his wonderful life which was an open book for all ,in itself is his Teaching.

Yes,it does help to maintain discipline,so as not to loose Focus and ramble all over the place.

Namaskar.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2146 on: August 29, 2012, 12:26:33 PM »
Dear Anil,

I appreciate your sentiments., The Board rule itself says it is entirely for Sri Bhagavan and Gurus who are dead at least for 50 years
alone should be quoted or written about. That way we write about Sri Ramakrishna, Sri Vivekanada and Shirdi Baba. If
that norm has to be strictly followed even Kanchi Swami does not fit in that rule.  However we occasionally mention about him.
Otherwise this Forum is not meant for 'jnanis' who are dead within 50 years or fallen idols.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2147 on: August 29, 2012, 02:59:03 PM »
As Being-Awareness which transcends
Both knowing and forgetting, you,
Lord Ramana, reveal how pure
Being is clarity and stillness.
Let us with steady mind adore
Your flowery Feet, that fount of bliss.
    V. 1179, Sri Ramana Sannidhi Murai

As Being-Awareness which transcends
Both searching and fatigue, you say,
Lord Ramana, that Being alone
Is what abides for ever. Let us
With steadfast mind adore that fount
Of nectar,  your twin flowery Feet.
 V. 1181, Sri Ramana Sannidhi Murai

Dear Sri Subramanian Sir and Sri Ravi,

Ji. Yes. Thanks very much, sir.  I said what I wished to say. This matter is now closed for me, leaving it to the scrupulous discretion of the members and devotees.

Pranam,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2148 on: August 30, 2012, 10:01:29 AM »
Dear Devotees,

Swami Sri Rajeshwarananda has been blessed with the rare opportunity of having been in contact with Sri Bhagwan for more than forty-six years and more. He has also had several occasions of prolonged and continuous stay at Sri Bhagwan’s Lotus Feet for months together. Here are a few beautiful passages from an article named ‘Om Namo Bhagwate Sri Rammanaya’ written by him for the book ‘Fragrant Petals’:

“His solemn Presence lifted us beyond our body and mind to our true Self. This truth of Self-realisation, in His holy Presence, was as if coursing through our veins, pulsating in our bosom, tingling with every drop of blood and becoming consonant with our very heart-beats.”

“All worries and wounds of the world simply melted in His Presence like ice before fire. HIS  WAS  A  DISCOVERY  OF  A  LOST  TECHNIQUE  IN  DIVINE  AWARENESS ,  A GIFT  TO  HUMANITY.”

“He proclaimed the Absolute as the Self, “I AM” in each individual, ever being Itself. Such a realisation endows everyone ultimately with Pure Consciousness, a state of impersonality, timelessness, spacelessness, causelessness, freedom and peace. He was Himself a testimony for such an august revelation that always stands at the very doorstep of one and all. Thus the heart of our being is the heart of the universe.”       

“His Gospel reveals clearly the divinity of the soul, the oneness of humanity and the indivisibility of the Godhead, not as articles of belief or opinion, cult or creed, dogmas or doctrine but as the truths of His own Experience. To Know Bhagwan is to be Bhagwan Himself. Because Knowing is being and Being is Knowing. “

“Even a single word from Sri Bhagwan’s lips was enough to enable us to carry it all through our life to stir the soul, and awaken it to its intrinsic immortality and infinity, whereas splendid orations from persons without divine wisdom shouted from platforms fall flat on our ears and fail to bring about any effect at all.”

“Sri Bhagwan’s sacred and solid silence spoke louder than words at times, and His solmn and sublime look was vividly significant at all times.”

Dear devotees, can the Sacred and Solid Silence ever go away, whether the mortal coil is there or not? No. That is the Absolute Reality—Here and Now—transcending space and time.
Thanks very much.

Pranam,
  Anil 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2149 on: August 30, 2012, 12:41:42 PM »
Dear Anil,

Nice write up about Sri Rajeswarananda.

'He rediscovered a lost technique...' Yes. Vichara Marga is there right from Upandishad days. Once Mr. J.Jayaraman, librarian
explained to me how Vichara Marga is given in Chandogya Upanishad and read out some verses from the Upanishad. Sri
Bhagavan has made Vichara a public property, by describing the Self Inquiry method in simple conversations in Tamizh, so that
people at large, who are not well versed in Sanskrit or Upanishads could understand the Vichara Marga and practice it.

Arunachala Siva.   

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2150 on: August 30, 2012, 01:46:14 PM »
Dear Anil,dear Subramanian sir, Yes,That Silence can Never fade,or go away. It is Ever present,Ever alive.. I feel that Bhagavan is every second with us,every step we make is the step He guides. I feel Him everywhere,in every cell of this body.. And how not to be,when He is the God Himself.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2151 on: August 30, 2012, 04:16:12 PM »
Quote:
”He rediscovered a lost technique...' Yes. Vichara Marga is there right from Upandishad days. Once Mr. J.Jayaraman, librarian
explained to me how Vichara Marga is given in Chandogya Upanishad and read out some verses from the Upanishad. Sri
Bhagavan has made Vichara a public property, by describing the Self Inquiry method in simple conversations in Tamizh, so that
people at large, who are not well versed in Sanskrit or Upanishads could understand the Vichara Marga and practice it.”

Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

Ji. Yes. Thanks very much, sir. Kindly see the following quotes:

Sri Bhagwan: “There is nothing new under the sun.”

“It appears that the method followed by Gautam Budha was this. But somehow the secret of this method seems to have been lost. FOR WHAT WE FIND IN THE BOOKS IS NOT THIS METHOD, BUT SOMETHING ELSE, WHICH WE SHALL CALL TRADITIOAL METHOD.”
                                                     ‘WHO’, Maha Yoga

“Here are you, bound hand and foot by desire and fear, and here is the STRAIGHT PATH TO DELIVERANCE.”
                                                     Lord Sri Gautam Budha

“This enquiry ‘Who am I?’ is the quest of the Self and is said to be the fire that burns up the seed of the poisonous growth of conceptual thought.”
                                                                       Sage Vasishta

Sri Arthur Osborne writes:
“It had formerly existed only as pure Jnana-marga, simplest as well as more profound, the ultimate secret to be imparted only to those of purest understanding and to be followed by them in constant meditation, away from the distractions of the world.”

Quoting Lord Jesus Christ ‘In the end all that was hidden shall be made known’, Sri Osborne writes thus:

Doctrinally, this saying of Christ’s is being fulfilled by the OPEN PROCLAMATION OF THE ULTIMATE AND MOST SECRET PATH AND BY ITS ADAPTATION TO OUR AGE. This is what Sri Bhagwan has done.

Dear sir, therefore, I wish to submit that the Vichara, as taught by Sri Bhagwan, is not exactly the same as the ancient and traditional path of Self-enquiry.  It is holistic. It is not necessarily to be practiced in a secluded places away from the distractions of the world.
Dear sir, I FEEL THAT SRI BHAGWAN HAS GIVEN US A NEW INSIGHT INTO THE MEANING OF SECLUSION AND SOLITUDE.

Pranam,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2152 on: August 30, 2012, 04:18:04 PM »
Quote:
“Yes,That Silence can Never fade,or go away. It is Ever present,Ever alive.. I feel that Bhagavan is every second with us,every step we make is the step He guides. I feel Him everywhere,in every cell of this body.. And how not to be,when He is the God Himself.”

Dear Sri Jewel,
            Pranam,

‘And how not to be, when He is God Himself.’
Wonderful!  Yes. He is the Being-Consciousness, God Himself. He is the only Illumination. He is the only Knowledge.

Sri Bhagwan is Being Himself and graced His devotees by teaching to be, eliminating the mental perturbation and agitation.

Dear Sri Jewel, I have been reading your recent posts and wondering that yet another prey appears to have been caught in the Tiger’s Jaw.

Thanks very much.

Pranam,
  Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2153 on: August 30, 2012, 04:38:57 PM »
Dear Anil,

Once some devotee asked Sri Bhagavan: Bhagavan! What you are teaching is something quite new. What others have not
said before.

Sri Bhagavan replied smilingly: 'Did I say so? How can something come from my mouth, which was not earlier told by
Rishis and ancient sages of this country?

Sri Bhagavan was quite careful to see that what He said has the confirmation of the Rishis and ancient Sages. He did not
want to create a New Path. Any New path (in religion and philosophy) which have no confirmation of the Vedas and Upanishads
would fade away. That is what happened to Buddhism. Though Buddha did not say openly, his followers said that it was not
a path earlier told by Indian sages and Rishis.  For all philosophies, the root is Vedas and Upanishads and Brahma Sutram.

What Sri Bhagavan did was to clear the dust and make the gem shine openly! 

He took care that that what He was teaching, was not original. That is why He translated some works of Sri Sankara like
Atma Bodham, Hastamalakam, Viveka Choodamani etc., to implicitly say that what His experiential teachings tally with Sri Sankara's
works.

(Based on Nochur Venkataraman's discourse)

Arunachala Siva.       

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2154 on: August 30, 2012, 05:15:29 PM »
Quote:
“What Sri Bhagavan did was to clear the dust and make the gem shine openly!” 

Ji. Yes. Thanks very much, sir. No, path, no philosophy, no religion, can survive for long in the Land of Rishis and Sages without their confirmation. Many such new paths in the past took birth and faded. Even in the modern times, new gurus with novel paths are emerging and fading. 

Ji. Yes,. Sri Bhagwan is careful not to utter something which does not have the sanction of the Rishis and Sages, Shruti and Vedanta. HIMSELF BEING THE AUTHRITY, HE ALMOST ALWAYS INDICATED AN AUTHORITY FOR HIS UTTERANCES.
Even while revealing the ‘Science of the Heart’, which was hitherto a secret and unknown, He indicated to an Authority in some  ancient ‘Aurveda Book.

Therefore, you have very rightly observed that what he did was to clear the dust AND MAKE THE GEM SHINE OPENLY.
SO, HE NOT ONLY CLEARED THE DUST BUT MADE IT TO SHINE OPENLY AND NOT SECRETLY, AWAY FROM THE WORLD IN SOLITUDE, AS WAS THE CASE IN THE ANCIENT TIMES.

Pranam,
  Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2155 on: August 30, 2012, 05:48:57 PM »
Dear Anil,

I sometime back today said that Sri Bhagavan said: What ancient Rishis and Sages have not told will not come from
my mouth.  Here is the example from Ramalingam Swamigal, who lived many decades before Sri Bhagagvan:

சிந்தை பிறந்தது மாங்கே - அந்தச்
       சிந்தை யிறந்து தெளிந்தது மாங்கே
   எந்த நிலைகளு மாங்கே - கண்ட
       யான்றா னிரண்டற் றிருந்தது மாங்கே. (சங்.)

Sankara Sankara Sambo!

The mind was born there only  (that is Heart)
The mind became dead there only (that is Heart)
All thought emanate from there only (that is Heart)
When I see (and do not understand my true nature) two only from there!

This is nothing but simple Hridaya Vidya on Sri Bhagavan. Is it not?

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2156 on: August 30, 2012, 07:24:11 PM »
Quote:
“The mind was born there only  (that is Heart)
The mind became dead there only (that is Heart)
All thought emanate from there only (that is Heart)
When I see (and do not understand my true nature) two only from there!

This is nothing but simple Hridaya Vidya on Sri Bhagavan. Is it not?”

Ji. Yes. This is beautiful. Mind and ignorance are born there. And it is verily there that they die. It is the Heart, the Centre, the Self, the Seat of Consciousness Sri Bhagwan speaks of.

Dear sir, will you kindly tell me something about Sri Ramalingam Swamigal and His Teaching in brief?

Thanks very much, sir.

Pranam,
  Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2157 on: August 30, 2012, 07:55:02 PM »
Dear Anil,

Briefly speaking, Ramalinga Swamigal was born in Chennai and he had developed devotion to  Muruga right from early
childhood. He was, as in case of many saint, not good in studies. He took up sannyasa (but wore white dhoti only)
and started praying to Siva. He considered him as Light and prayed to Siva only as Light. He moved to a place called Karunguzhi
near Chidambaram and taught Light worship and also recommended Anna dhanam (food distribution). After some years,
he told his disciples to close the door of the room in which he was all the time meditating and not disturb him for 48 days.
On the 49th day, when the disciples opened the door, they found nothing inside. Not even his body. He just merged in five
elements!  His philosophy in Saiva Siddhantam which is bordering on Advaitam. He also stressed the need for food distribution
to the visitors and poor people and even today in Siddhi ViLagam - where he attained liberation, hundreds are being fed by
his disciples every day once at lunch time. He has written a large number of poems almost 8 volumes.

He differs from Thayumanavar in only the approach. He believed in Saiva siddhatantam edicts, but spoke on Advaita also
in many of his poems. Recently some publishers brought his 8 volumes of work (all poems excepting one prose volume)
at a considerate rate of Rs 750.00 including postages!

Arunachala Siva.

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2158 on: August 30, 2012, 09:26:01 PM »
Dear Anil, Thanks Very much for Very kind words!! Much more because i am still just a pray in That Tigers jaws. And it is beautiful to see how much love you have for Bhagavan Ramana.

deepa

• View Profile
« Reply #2159 on: August 30, 2012, 10:31:06 PM »

"Sri Bhagavan replied smilingly: 'Did I say so? How can something come from my mouth, which was not earlier told by
Rishis and ancient sages of this country?"

The strange thing is it is not just of this country..

Read this excerpt - it blew me away!

"Preparatory work towards the goal of enlightenment can proceed step-by-step but to "reach the other shore" requires a leap over a gulf.
What exactly is it that you understand on the other shore? First you come to realize that enlightenment was within you all along. You become enlightened when you finally recognize that you already had it. The next realization is that there actually is no "other shore" since reaching it means realizing that there was nothing to reach. "

Above is easily something Bhagawan could have said :)

Above is from Tao-Sheng (405 AD) - he started out as a Buddhist student of Kumarajiva and is credited to be the spiritual father of Zen Buddhism. Early Tao works and Zen Buddhism, of course, remind me so much of Bhagawan.