Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 756587 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #2130 on: August 26, 2012, 03:12:44 PM »
Dear Devotees,

The great devotee, and the author of the ‘Upadesa Manjari’ ,Sri Sadhu Natananda,  also composed two long poems known as ‘Atma Gita’ and ‘Tiruvaraut Selvam’. In the Atma Gita, all of the verses, except for the last two, are addressed to the mind by the Self. What follow are the citation of verses 63 to 68 from the Atma Gita:

O mind! He said, ‘When I am present everywhere, where can I go?’  Where, then , can He go, and how? Though He has given up the perishable body, He will always be present in our hearts as ‘That which is’, beyond the knowledge of the senses. He who bestowed His Grace more sweetly than one’s own mother will from now on also shine as our unseen Guide and Support.
                       V. 63-5, Atma Gita, Sadhu Sri  Natanananda

O mind! When the Vedas declare that the rare Supreme Being abides as one’s own Self, how can one consider the Guru to be different from our Self? It is ignorance to regard the Guru as different from us, and ourselves as different from the Guru. So, without having the idea ‘I and God’, merge in the Reality, the non-dual Consciousness.
                       V. 66-8, Atma Gita, Sadhu Sri Natananada 

Thanks very much.

Pranam,
  Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2131 on: August 26, 2012, 03:38:49 PM »
Dear Anil,

Very nice. Sri Bhagavan has said: God, Guru and the Self are one and the same. When Guru pushes the mind inside, the Self
pulls the mind from within for its merger with It.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: August 26, 2012, 07:58:30 PM »
Dear Anil,

Sadhu Natananda has written a book called Sri Ramana Darsanam. This is in Tamizh. The book has also been translated
by David Godman. There in English translation, Tiruvarut Selvam and Atma Gita have been given in full. You can order for
the book if you do not have it already.

Arunachala Siva.   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2133 on: August 27, 2012, 08:31:00 AM »
He that has earned the Grace of the Guru shall undoubtedly be saved and never forsaken, just as the prey that has fallen into the tiger’s jaws will never be allowed to escape.
                                      Bhagwan Sri Ramana

The subtle manner in which the Master toils over His children is amazing. There are times without number when I distinctly saw His mighty Hand extended to me, when I stood most in need of His guidance. THUS WAS I CAUGHT IN THE TIGER’S JAWS.
                                    Sri Chaganlal V. Yogi

Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

Ji. Yes. Thanks very much, sir. I have the book ‘Sri Ramana Darshanam’ with me. The Verses of the Atma Gita posted in my last post have been cited from this book.
Dear sir, as for the passages quoted above, I should say that I have myself distinctly seen, like Sri Yogi, His mighty Hand extended to me, when I needed His Support and Guidance most. But how was I caught in the Tiger’s Jaws, I am not so distinctly aware. BUT CAUGHT I AM IN THE TIGER’S JAWS, INDEED!
Here is an excerpt in which Sri Yogi narrates how he was metamorphosed into a believer from a sceptic in Sri Bhagwan’s Presence:

To fulfil that desire, I paid a visit to Sri Ramanasramam in the Christmas of 1938. When I arrived at the Ashram I met with terrible disappointment. Nothing seemed to be the way I had expected. The Maharshi was seated on a couch, as still as a statue which did not move or speak. Neither did His His Presence seem to emanate anything unusual. I was sorely sad when I saw how indifferent His whole attitude towards me was. I had expected warmth and intimacy. But, alas, I seemed to be standing before someone who lacked both. From morning till evening, I sat waiting to catch a glimpse of His Grace, of His interest in me, a stranger who had come all the way from Bombay to see Him. But he seemed cold and aloof. My mind became a vacuum, my heart nearly broke in despair. I was planning  to leave that very night, more sceptical and hard than before. The vedaparayana chanted every evening in His Presence, and considered one of the most attractive items on the daily programme of the Ashram, fell flat on my ears. The sun was setting like sad farewell and darkness slowly crept over the Hill and over my heart. It deepened until all around us was one big black blotch. The electric lights which were switched on in the Hall seemed like living wounds on the body of darkness. I coud not bear the atmosphere. My mind was undergoing deep torture. The Master’s Hall seemed stuffy and choking. I walked out of it to breathe some fresh air outside.

Just a young boy—Gopalan by name—came up to me and asked where I had come from. ‘Bombay’, I said. And had I been introduced to the Master, he asked. I said ‘No’. He was surprised. Forth with he led me to the office and introduced me to the Sarvadhikari and Sri mouni Swami, and then proceeded with me to the Hall, where he introduced me to the Maharshi. When the Maharshi heard my name, His eyes looked straight into mine and they twinkled like stars. With a smile beaming with Grace, He asked me if I was a Gujarati. I said I was. Immediately He sent for a copy of the translation by Sri Kishorelal Mashurwala of the Upadesa saram, a few copies of which had only just then arrived. He then asked me to chant the Gujarati verses from the book. “I am not a singer,” I said, and for a moment hesitated. But I got over my hesitation and began to chant the verses, fifteen of which I had sung when the bell for the evening meal rang. While I was chanting, I could feel Sri Bhagwan observing me keenly; the light of His eyes, suffused my consciousness even without my being conscious of it, bringing about a subtle but definite transformation.  The darkness which, moments before had seemed heavy and unbearable, gradually lightened and melted into a glow. My erstwhile sadness disappeared completely, leaving in my heart an in explicable joy. My limbs appeared to be washed in an ocean-tide of freedom.

I sat close to Sri Bhagwan at the evening meal and while I ate it, every morsel seemed to have a heavenly taste. This experience was utterly different from my morning breakfast or my lunch at noon. I felt that I was actually partaking of a heavenly meal in the direct presence of God. The thought of leaving the Ashram that night vanished. I SATYED ON FOR THREE MORE DAYS IN ORDER TO EXTEND THE SACRED AND EXTRAORDINARY EXPERIENCE WHICH HAD BEGUN, AN EXPERIENCE OF DIVINE GRACE LEADING TO A DISTINCT SENSE OF SPIRITUAL LIBERATION.

During my three days stay in the neighbourhood of the Divine Master, my whole outlook changed entirely, even to the extent of my inability to recognise my old self, trammelled in preconceptions and prejudices. My mind swiftly underwent a change and its very texture became different from what had been seen. The colour of the world changed for me and the light of day now took on an ethereal aspect. I saw the foolishness and futility of turning my gaze only on the dark side of life.

The divine magician had opened up before me a strange new world of illumination, hope and joy. The very fact of His presence on earth was enough proof and promise for suffering, wounded humanity, steeped in obstinate ignorance. For the first time ever, I understood the significance of ‘darshan’.
                                                                                    Source: Fragrant Petals

Dear sir, I wish to humbly state that His Darshan in a physical body may not be available to His devotees now (I AM AWARE THAT EVEN THIS IS NOT IMPOSSIBLE). But, nevertheless, there is no change, so far as bestowing His Grace on His sincere devotees is concerned, WHETHER IN BODY OR WITHOUT IT. HE IS NOT THE BODY WHILE APPEARING IN A BODY, HE IS THE DIVINE GRACE EMBODIED WHILE CEASING TO APPEAR IN A BODY.
HE  SAID,  “I  AM  HERE”.  IT  IS  NOT  A  CASUAL  STATEMENT  MADE  BY  SRI  BHAGWAN  AT  THE  TIME  OF  HIS  SHEDDING  THE  MORTAL COIL.  THEREFORE,  THERE  SHOUD  NOT  BE  AN  IOTA  OF  DOUBT  THAT  HIS  POWER  OF   BESTOWING  AN  EXPERIENCE  OF  DIVINE  GRACE  ON  HIS  SINCERE  DEVOTEES,  LEADING  TO   A  DISTINCT  SPIRITUAL  SENSE   OF  FREEDOM  AND  LIBERATION,  HAS  NOT  DIMINISHED  IN  ANY  WAY,  AFTER  HIS  SHEDDING  THE  MORTAL  BODY.

In this dark age of gross materialism, true Gurus are few and far between. SO, HE CAME AS THE SADGURU OF THE AGE TO FULFILL THE HOPES AND ASPIRATIONS OF THE LANGUISHING DEVOTTEES OF SRI ARUNACHALA.

Pranam,
  Anil   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2134 on: August 27, 2012, 02:22:30 PM »
Dear Anil,

Yes. As Chagnalal Yogi, N.R. Krishnamurti Iyer was also a non believer. He was transformed by one look of Sri Bhagavan, when
he came to see Him. His story is also in Fragrant Petals.

Arunachala Siva.   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: August 28, 2012, 09:11:44 AM »
“Look within, ever seeking the Self with the inner eye, then will It be found." Thus didst Thou direct me, beloved Arunachala!”

Dear Devotees,

What follows is an excerpt from the ‘Day by Day With Bhagwan’:

“The talk drifted to the various schools of thoughts, one saying that there is only reality, others saying there are three eternal entities such as jagat, jiva and Ishwara, or pati, pasu, and pasam. In this connection, Bhagwan observed humorously, “It is not at all correct to say that Advaitins or the Shankara school  deny the existence of the world or that they call it unreal. On the other hand, it is more real to them than to others. Their world will always exist, whereas the world of the other schools will have origin, growth and decay and as such cannot be real. Only, they say the world as world is not real, but that the world as Brahman is real. All is Brahman, nothing exists but Brahman, and the world as Brahman is real. In this way,they claim they give more reality to the world than the other schools do. For example, according to schools which believe in three entities, the jagat is only one- third of the reality whereas according to Advaita, the world as Brahman is reality, the world and reality are not different. Similarly, even to God or Brahman, the other schools give only one-third sovereignty. The other two entities limit the reality of God. So, when Shankara is called mayavadi it may be retorted, ‘Shankara says maya does not exist. He who denies the existence of maya and calls it mithya or non-existent cannot be called a mayavadi. It is those who grant its existence and calls its product, the world, a reality who should rightly be called mayavadis. One who denies Ishwara is not called Ishwarwadi, but only one who affirms the existence of Ishwara.’” Bhagwan went on to add, “All these are of course vain disputations. THERE CAN BE NO END TO SUCH DISPUTATIONS. THE PROPER THING TO DO IS TO FIND OUT THE ‘I’, ABOUT WHOSE EXISTENCE NOBODY HAS ANY DOUBT, AND WHICH ALONE PERSISTS WHEN EVERYTHING ELSE VANISHES, AS DURING SLEEP.”

Dear devotees, Therefore, Shankara’s world as Brahman is real.
All is contained in Asti (Sat), Bhati (Chit), Priya (Ananda), Nam (Name), and Rupa (Form). The first three constitute the Reality, and the rest all that is fleeting and unreal. Jnana consists in seeing only the Reality and not the Nam-Rupa. THEREFORE THE FIRST THREE CONSTITUTE ‘AHAM’ AND THE NEXT TWO CONSTITUTE ‘IDAM’.  Sri Bhagwan says that ‘I’ and ‘this’ exhaust everything between them.
SEEING BRAHMAN ALONE IN EVERYTHING AND EVERYWHERE IS JNANOTTARA BHAKTI.
Dear devotees, Sri Bhagwan says that the stage of seeing only Brahman in everything and everywhere may be called either Jnanottara Bhakti or Bhakt-uttara Jnana.
Sri Bhagwan reveals that even saying that we must see Brahman in everything and everywhere is also not quite correct. Only that stage is final, where there is no seeing, where there is no time and space.
THERE WILL BE NO SEER, SEEING, AND AN OBJECT TO SEE. WHAT EXISTS THEN IS ONLY THE INFINITE EYE.

Thanks very much.

Pranam,
  Anil         

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2136 on: August 28, 2012, 03:11:10 PM »
Dear Anil,

Yes. Sri Bhagavan describes this state in His Arunachala Pancharatnam, Verse 5.

He who, with Heart to you surrendered,
Beholds for ever You alone,
Sees all things as forms of You
And loves and serves them as none other
Than the Self, O Aruna Hill,
Triumphs because he is immersed
In You whose being is pure bliss.

Arunachala Siva.   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: August 28, 2012, 04:43:01 PM »
Quote:
“Beholds for ever You alone,
Sees all things as forms of You
And loves and serves them as none other
Than the Self, O Aruna Hill,
Triumphs because he is immersed
In You whose being is pure bliss.”

Sri Bhagwan taught that the mind is nothing but a shadow. He advised Sri Annamalai Swami, therefore, to be continuously aware of the Self even while doing the ordinary things of everyday life.  Sri Swami has noted that was the Path He picked for me, though other people got other advice and sadhana, which were equally good for them.
Sri Bhagwan to Sri Swami:
“Don’t sit and meditate. It will be enough if you don’t forget that you are the Self. Keep this in mind all the time while you are working. This sadhana will be enough for you. The real sadhana is not to forget the Self. It is not sitting quietly with one’s eyes closed. You are always the Self. Just don’t forget it.”
“If you want to understand the Self, no formal sadhana is required. You are always the Self. Beware of the Self while you are working. Convince yourself that you are not the body or the mind, and always avoid the thought, 'I am not the Self'. Avoid thoughts that limit you, thoughts that make you believe that you are not the Self.”
                                 Source: Final Talk

Dear sir, I wished to respond thus when I saw your last post under this topic, that is, in the light of the Teaching of the V. 5, “Sri Arunachala Pancharatnam’. This Verse is said to pertain to devotion and surrender. BUT HERE, SRI BHAGWAN TEACHES SRI SWAMI THAT IF HE CAN UNDERSTAND THE SELF AND CAN BE THAT SELF, EVERYTHING WILL APPEAR AS HIS OWN SELF. THEREFORE, IT FOLLOWS THAT SRI ARUNACHALA IS VERILY THE SELF.
I wish to add that Sri Bhagwan’s above Teaching to Sri Annamalai Swami struck a chord deep within me.

Thanks very much, sir.

Pranam,
   Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: August 28, 2012, 04:53:34 PM »
Dear Anil.

Yes . Sri Bhagavan said, when someone questioned, 'What is the way to attain Liberation?', said: 'What is there to attain?
You are already Liberation. What is not eternally present will come and go. You are therefore the Self, the eternal. What
you should do is to remove the obstacles that hinder your state of Liberation. All Sastras are only for this removal of
obstacles.   

Arunachala Siva.   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2139 on: August 28, 2012, 06:14:41 PM »

Ji. Yes. Thanks very much, sir.

I am the Self. Therefore, if I say, “I don’t know myself’, or if I claim, “I know myself’, both are indeed statement to laugh at. Since I am That, so I can be That. That is all, for there is nothing and nobody to tell about That. However, if I say, ‘I am a jnani’, or ‘I am an enlightened’, who claims that? Obviously, the claimant is still there throwing its weight around.   

Pranam,
 Anil

Vinod

• View Profile
« Reply #2140 on: August 28, 2012, 07:52:31 PM »
****Request for all****

Dear All,

I've been reading this thread and found difficult from where to start. Hence its a humble request to please continue posting in a fresh page with a same subject of "Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough" may be part II. As the topic has been continued with many pages it makes bit difficult for amateurs like me or any new visitors.

It is just a suggestion and you may wish to continue in the same page if there are some reasons behind it.

OM ARUNACHALESHWARAAYA NAMAHA!

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: August 29, 2012, 07:55:50 AM »
The great Tamil Saint Sri Thayumanavar sang:

“My mind clings to whatever appears before it in the waking state, and when it gives up this clinging, falls into deep sleep. When, O when will it attain You?”

Dear Devotees,

The great devotee Sadhu Sri Natanananda explains the above song of Sri Thayumanavar in his ‘Sri Ramana Darshanam’ as following:
The nature of my wretched mind is either to merge and identify with the objects of perception that appear in front of it while it is awake—as a crystal takes on the colour of flowers that are placed before it—or to merge in nescience, losing its form in the sleep state in which it is not aware of anything. When will it leave two states of ignorance and merge in YOU, the form of Consciousness, and be redeemed? Will such a good day occur to me in this very life?

Following the sentiments of the great Saint, as cited above, Sri Natanananda says that this work (Atma Gita) is a means to keep the mind, which is always agitated by perpetually wandering in the forest of objects, permanently established in the Lotus Feet of Sri Bhagwan.

So also, I have kept myself active in this Forum so far, consciously, as a great means, to keep the mind constantly established in the Lotus Feet of Sri Bhagwan. 

Dear devotees of Bhagwan Sri Ramana, when I started this topic, in October, 2010, I didn’t know then that the thread would run for so long. When I finished with a post, I never knew what I would write and post under this thread next time.  I never thought what I would write and post in my next posting under this thread. Even on many occasions I had the temerity to decide for myself to stop, stand and to merely stare. But each time, it dawned on me, “What is this ‘I’ which is posing as a decision-maker?”  And contents, quotes and citations came and prompted me to write.  I know It is all His Grace. I never felt and don’t feel even now that I am capable of writing so much on my own.

Dear devotees, if I have my way, I wouldn’t do anything other than being still. I never posted anything with a view to teach. As I said, my participation in this Forum is for the sole purpose of keeping myself focussed, to avoid the infectious crowds, and to remain established in the Lotus feet of Sri Bhagwan. I am not concerned at all whether others find it useful or not. This is not subjectivism or selfishness on my part. This is because I do not think I am competent to teach others. I write what comes to me.  If others find them coherent and useful, they make take them, otherwise they are always free to reject or ignore them.

Dear devotees, I do not feel that I would continue in the Forum for long. However, so long I am here, I wish to continue with the same topic, particularly in the view of the fact that under the board “Teaching of Bhagwan Sri Raman Maharshi”, which is exclusively devoted to His Teaching only, members are posting all sorts of topics and contents, in the manner which may create doubts in the minds of devotees who desire to adhere to Him and His Teaching alone. I do not know about other members but certainly it hurts me much when I see topics under this board which do not deal with or adhere strictly to Sri Bhagwan’s Teaching. HERE UNDER THIS BOARD I AM NOT CONCERNED WITH ANY OTHER GURU OR MAHATMA WHO EVER HE MAY BE. Even the board ‘Genaral Topics’ is devoted to contents which are in the similar veins.  I FEEL THAT AT LEAST WE ALL SHOULD ACKNOWLEDGE THIS MUCH OBLIBATION TO THE FORUM. FOR IT MAY HURT. IT HURTS ME. FOR THE ONE WHO GETS HURT IS NOT ABSOLUTELY GONE, NOT YET.

Thanks very much.

Pranam,
  Anil 

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: August 29, 2012, 08:36:09 AM »
Anil,
Appreciate your Devotion to Sri Bhagavan.Who is Sri Bhagavan?This question was put once to him.

Amritanatha's question: Who is this Ramana in the Arunachala Cave, who is renowned as the treasure of compassion? Is he Vararuchi or Isa Guru? or Hari? or Yatindra? I am desirous of knowing the Guru's Mahima (supernatural powers).

Bhagavan's reply: Arunachala Ramana is the Paramatma Himself who plays about as Consciousness in the hearts of all living beings, from Hari downwards. He is the Supreme Being. It will be clear to you if you open the eye of jnana and see the truth.

This is how Sri Ramakrishna also says with regard to the Guru:

"Three words-'master', 'teacher', and 'father'-prick me like thorns. I am the son of God, His
eternal child. How can I be a 'father'? God alone is the Master and I am His instrument. He
is the Operator and I am the machine
"If somebody addresses me as guru, I say to him: 'Go away, you fool! How can I be a
teacher?' There is no teacher except Satchidananda. There is no refuge except Him. He
alone is the Ferryman to take one across the ocean of the world
."

All Gurus,Mahatmas are Sri Bhagavan only.Yet an aspirant has to stick to the path that he/she has been graced with.All are journeying towards the same goal.

I truly appreciate your one pointed and earnest devotion to the Teachings of Sri Bhagavan.Please continue to share as you feel inspired.

Namaskar.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2143 on: August 29, 2012, 11:43:34 AM »
Quote:
“All Gurus,Mahatmas are Sri Bhagavan only.Yet an aspirant has to stick to the path that he/she has been graced with.All are journeying towards the same goal.”
“All Gurus,Mahatmas are Sri Bhagavan only.Yet an aspirant has to stick to the path that he/she has been graced with.All are journeying towards the same goal.”

Dear Sri Ravi,

Ji. Yes. Thanks very much, sir.

I am aware of Sri Bhagwan’s Reply to Sri Amritnatha’s question. My Goodness ! How sublime is Sri Bhagwan’s Teaching!
“In the recess of the lotus-shaped Hearts of all, beginning with Vishnu, there shines as Pure Intellect (Absolute Consciousness) the Parmatman, who is the same as Arunachala Ramana. When the mind melts with love of Him, and reaches the innermost recess of the Heart wherein He dwells as the beloved, the subtle eye of Pure Intellect opens and He reveals Himself as Pure Consciousness.”

Dear sir, I have assimilated the above Teaching and the Teaching contained in the ‘Arunachala Pancharatnam’, and nothing in three worlds can inspire me as much as them.

Ji. Yes. Sri Bhagwan has taught that all Gurus are one and the same and all are manifestations or embodiments of the one Supreme Self. I am aware without doubt whatever that the essence underlying all teachings are the same. You have rightly observed that a spiritual aspirant has to stick to the path he has been graced with. I feel that the Board ‘Teaching of Bhagwan Sri Raman Maharshi’ is devoted to His Teaching alone and those who are visiting it are likely to be disappointed and confused, if instead of Sri Bhagwan’s Teaching, they find here numerous teachings by the numerous gurus. There are other boards and places under the Forum itself where, in my view, it is perfectly all right, to post or discuss to one’s heart’s satisfaction, what one wants to and I am sure that these contributions would only enrich the Forum. ONE SHOUD NOT MIX UP ANYTHING ELSE WITH THE ENLIGHTENING WORDS OF BHAGWAN SRI RAMANA. ITS PURITY MUST REMAIN INTACT.
Dear sir, having said this, I wish to add that this is my personal opinion and I shall, after this, not speak about it, else others doing so will be hurt.

Pranam,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2144 on: August 29, 2012, 11:45:38 AM »
Devotee: J. Krisnamurti says, “No Guru is necessary?”
Sri Bhagwan: How did he know it? One can say so after realising but not before.
         Talk—41

Anil