Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 755760 times)

Hari

• View Profile
    • Fundamental questions about mind
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #2115 on: August 21, 2012, 06:45:19 PM »
Quote from Sri Hari:
"That's why I interpret these word like that - for most people mere investigation, without duality is just a meaningless activity."

Sear Sri Hari,

What do you mean by the quoted lines above? Will you kindly ealborate it further so that I can grasp what you mean to convey? Vichara has 'I' to begin with. Do you mean to say that you are not dear to yourself or your Self is not dear to you or you do not love your Self or the Swarupa? What is more dear to one than oneself?
Yes, Vichra is subjective. But how did you reach the conclusion that investigation to be meaningful should have duality? That is absurd to say the least.

Thanks very much.

Pranam,
  Anil

I don't mean anything. Just most people find surrender to God more natural and for them is meaningless to do something which is more difficult than what is more close to thems (as Saranagathi is). It is not my opinion I should underline. I just try to descibe my observations. In my view Self-inquiry and Surrender to the Self are one and the same process in different directions but which paradoxically leads to the Same Goal.
Web Page dedicated to the Great Sages:
https://someoneelsebg.000webhostapp.com/Sages/HTML.html

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2116 on: August 21, 2012, 07:52:26 PM »
Dear Hari,

You have stated that surrender is easy. It is not so. Simple devotion may be easy and that too who are basically
god loving. For others, surrender, total surrender, self surrender, is as difficult as self inquiry.

Sri Bhagavan Himself has said this.  When He arrived at t'malai on 1st Sept 1896, after embracing the Siva Lingam,
Arunachaleswara, He came out. Some barber asked Him whether He could have tonsure. He silently agreed.
Then He removed His sacred thread and removed the dhoti and torn into a coupina for wearing, AND THREW THE
REMAINING CLOTH  AWAY. ( HE DID NOT KEEP ANOTHER PIECE FOR AN ALTERNATE COUPINA!)  HE THREW AWAY THE
SWEET MEATS, GIVEN THE PREVIOUS DAY BY ONE LADY IN ARAINAI NALLUR,  (WITHOUT BOTHERING ABOUT WHAT TO EAT NEXT.)
HE THREW  AWAY THE COINS HE HAD - THE REMINDER OF THE MONEY.  HE SIMPLY SAT IN THE TEMPLE. IT WAS UNUSUAL SEASON.
THOUGH SEPTEMBER, IT WAS CHILL. HE DID NOT HAVE ANY BEDDINGS. NO FOOD FORTHCOMING. THE FOOD WAS OFFERED BY
SOME CONSIDERATE LADY NEXT MORNING. IN OTHER WORDS, HE WAS FASTING FOR 48 HOURS.

Why? Because He told Arunachala: I have come as per your commands. It is for YOU TO TAKE CARE OF ME. nin ishtam en
ishtam - your wish is my wish.

This is total surrender, complete surrender. surrender of the Ego at the feet of Arunachala!

Can we do such things in our lives?

We are all very good AT PARTIAL SURRENDER. 'Oh, God, give me this promotion, I shall light 10 candles in the church.
Or give food for 10 people in the temple. Suppose it does not happen, that is promotion is not announced, then
no candle for Jesus;  no food for people. WE ARE ALL CLEVER TRADERS WITH GOD. WE ONLY DO BARTER WITH GOD.
BUT NOT SURRENDER.

From this partial surrender to total surrender is a steep path!  As difficult as self inquiry.

Lucia Osborne came with her kids to Tiruvannamalai. Her husband Arthur Osborne was in concentration camp in
Siam. No news about him. No letters were received. Imagine a English lady living with her kids, in Tiruvannamalai,
WHERE THE ONLY SOURCE OF STRENGTH WAS SRI BHAGAVAN.  She had no other support. She totally trusted Him.
It took another 4 years for Arthur to come to her. What held her and her kids in Tiruvannamalai?  TOTAL FAITH
AND TOTAL SURRENDER. Everyday she used to go to the Asramam, sit before Sri Bhagavan and made mental prayers.

Once her son Kitty asked Sri Bhagavan: When shall my father come?  Sri Bhagavan looked at the kid with abundant
compassion and said: I shall get your father safe! Don't worry.

Om Sri Dayaranvaya namah |

says one name in Sri Bhagavan's 108 names. He is the ocean of compassion. What is needed is only total faith
and surrender. And this, mind you, will be as difficult as self inquiry. The ego does not leave you so easily.

Arunachala Siva. 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2117 on: August 21, 2012, 07:55:04 PM »
Dear Sri Hari,

That is all right. I also do not mean to say that duality is all of a sudden gone, as soon as investigation is initiated. As I have understood and experienced, the focussed search light of the Enquiry makes the ego move Self-ward and makes it progressively subtler and subtler until it is finally burnt in the Fire of Jnana and true Self alone survives in which there is no duality whatever. 'I' searches for 'I' and yet remains as 'I' at the end of the investigation. Such is the paradox of the Realisation. Therefore, duality remains almost till the very end, albeit in subtler forms. However, it does not make any sense when one says that investigation will be meaningful only if there is duality.

Thanks very much.

Pranam,

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #2118 on: August 21, 2012, 08:13:53 PM »
You have stated that surrender is easy.

Let's me clear. I have meant surrender as whole which inlude partial surrender, not complete Saranagathi!
However, it does not make any sense when one says that investigation will be meaningful only if there is duality.

You have misunderstood me. Self-inquiry even in this primal stages requires 'developping', at least temporary, non-dual state of consciousness which is very difficult for an ordinary active mind. But Saranagathi in Its first steps is done by dual bhakti which is much more natural and easy for the mind. I have not meant nothing more.

Best wishes, Hari

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2119 on: August 22, 2012, 09:53:52 AM »
Quote from Sri Hari:
“You have misunderstood me. Self-inquiry even in this primal stages requires 'developping', at least temporary, non-dual state of consciousness which is very difficult for an ordinary active mind. But Saranagathi in Its first steps is done by dual bhakti which is much more natural and easy for the mind. I have not meant nothing more.”

Dear Sri Hari,

So far as ‘developing’ required for Self-enquiry in the initial stages is concerned, let us see what the great and realised devotee of Sri Bhagwan, Sri Annamalai Swami says in this regard:
Q: Many people find Self-enquiry very difficult. Even most of Bhagwan’s devotees seem to follow a bhakti path. If one cannot do enquiry successfully, should one first purify the mind with japa?
Sri Annamalai Swami: No. If you have some interest in the path of Self-enquiry you should follow it even if you feel that you are not very good at it. If you want to do Self-enquiry effectively and properly you should stick to that method alone. Other methods may be good in their own right but they are not good as preparations for Self-enquiry.

Dear Sri Hari, for Self-enquiry, Self-enquiry itself is the best preparation, for it is its own guide.
Yes. Bhakti is always good and one must worship the Guru. However, let us see what Sri Annamalai Swami says about the enquiry vis-à-vis the bhakti:

Q: I feel that the bhakti path is an effortless way. When I enquire ’Who am I?’ I feel that I must make a great effort to make the mind subside. The bhakti path seems to be more sweet, more joyful and more effortless.
Sri Swami: It is always good to worship the Guru, but abiding in the Guru’s teachings is far better. You can follow the bhakti path if you want to but you should remember that it is almost impossible for the devotee to judge whether he is making progress or not. You should not jump to the conclusion that you are not making progress with your Self-enquiry simply because you find it hard to do. AND YOU SHOULD NOT THINK THAT YOU WILL MAKE MORE PROGRESS AS A BHAKTA SIMPLY BECAUSE YOU FIND IT EASY TO GENERATE JOYFUL STATES OF MIND.

Dear Sri Hari, you have mentioned about non-dual states and you say that it is ‘difficult for an ordinary active mind’. My response in this regard is as follows:
Who commences the enquiry to begin with?
It is the ego which commences the enquiry.
Now, what is ego?
We know that the ego consists of two parts, real as well as the unreal. ‘I am so and so’ is the ego in which ‘I am’ is the Pure Consciousness, and ‘so and so’ is only the adjunct. When subjective feeling of ‘I’ is attended to or the Self-attention is started, ego begins to take more and more of the consciousness part and less and less of the insentient part. In other words, feeling ‘so and so’ drops away being merely non-existent and unreal thing, and the Reality ‘I am’ alone survives.         
MOREOVER, IT IS NOT NECESSARY FOR SINCERE ASPIRANTS EVEN TO NAME BEFORE-HAND THE FEELING ‘I’ EITHER AS EGO OR AS THE SELF. FOR ARE THERE TWO PERSONS IN THE ASPIRANT, THE EGO AND THE SELF? No. There is only one Self, and that is ‘I am I’.

In terms of subject and object we may like to understand it as follows:

Tendency towards self-limiting identifications can be put an end to by separating the subject ‘I’ from the objects of thought which it identifies with. Since the individual ‘I’-thought cannot exist without an object, if attention is focussed on the subjective feeling of ‘I’ or ‘I am’ with such intensity that the thoughts ‘I am this’ or ‘I am that’ do not arise, then the individual ‘I’-thought will not be able to connect with the objects. If this awareness is sustained, ‘I’-thought, being merely a thought or a vritti, will disappear and in its place there will be a direct experience of the Self.
Dear Sri Hari, it is worth notice here that Sri Bhagwan constantly recommended the Self-enquiry as the most efficient and direct way of discovering the unreality of the ‘I’-thought or the ego.

Thanks very much.

Pranam,
  Anil   

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #2120 on: August 22, 2012, 12:19:56 PM »
Dear Anil, thank you

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2121 on: August 22, 2012, 03:29:22 PM »
Quote from Sri Subramanian Sir:
“Om Sri Dayaranvaya namah |

says one name in Sri Bhagavan's 108 names. He is the ocean of compassion. What is needed is only total faith
and surrender. And this, mind you, will be as difficult as self inquiry. The ego does not leave you so easily.”

Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

Thanks very much, sir, for a beautiful post. I have read about Sri Osborne’s family and the total faith and surrender of Smt. Lucia Osborne and her predicament while Sri Arthur Osborne himself was in a concentration camp.  However, when I reread about those little anecdotes once again in your post, they deeply affected me. Many such little tales, which happened in and around Sri Bhagwan while He was in the body are very moving indeed.

Dear sir, You have very beautifully shown that true surrender or complete surrender is not easy to practice contrary to general perception that it is easy. Nevertheless, my submission is this that surrender can be pursued to its conclusion if it is practiced side by side with Enquiry or Vichara. Sri Bhagwan Himself exhorts to give oneself up to the Cause of one’s being, for our Source is within. Sri Bhagwan says that imagining such Source to be some God outside is a delusion. THEREFORE, SEEKING THE SOURCE AND MERGING IN IT IS WHAT EXACTLY I MEANT WHEN I SAID THAT PRACTICING ENQUIRY AND TO GO ON SURRENDERING TO THE EXTENT OF AWARENESS OF ONE’S SELF IS THE WAY TO PRACTICE BOTH PATHS TOGETHER. After all one must love the Self to abide in It.

Pranam,
  Anil   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2122 on: August 22, 2012, 03:47:36 PM »
Dear Anil,

Yes. As you have said Sri Bhagavan has recommended both surrender and atma vichara, side by side.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2123 on: August 23, 2012, 08:16:53 AM »
An ant is walking on the floor with a grain of sugar on its back. Suddenly a man steps on it and kills it. FINSH: INSTANT DEATH. We are in the same situation as the ant, for death may come at any moment. You can take nothing with you when you die, not even your mind. So why not die to the world now?
                              Sri Annamalai Swami

Dear Devotees,

We are aware that any satisfaction that we may seem to derive from the world outside is at best transient. That is certain to be lost at death. Human life is given to us for the sole purpose of realising the Self. Therefore, it follows unerringly that if we die without realising our Self or the Swarupa, our precious human lives are as good as  wasted. And like the ant, death can come any moment, without giving us any prior notice. Sri Annamalai Swami says:
“I am telling you this so that you will become aware of your own death. If you are constantly aware of the possibility that you may die at any moment, your enthusiasm will increase. Try to cultivate this awareness and see if it makes any difference to your sadhana.”
                                                          Source: Living by the Words of Bhagwan

The great devotee, Sri Swami says that most of minds are like wet wood which need a long period of drying out before they catch fire. WHILE OUR MIND IS ON THE SELF, IT IS DRYING OUT, WHEN IT IS ON THE WORLD IT IS FURTHER GETTING WET.

Dear devotees, Sri Swami says so and even scriptural assurance is there: The effort we expend in keeping the mind turned towards the Self is never wasted. It is only wasted when we do not have perseverance and lose interest and revert back to our old mental habits and foolish indulgences in the outside world.

SO THERE IS NO NEED TO WORRY IF OUR EFFORTS DO NOT PRODUCE IMMEDIATE RESULTS. Sooner or later we will certainly get our reward.

Thanks very much.

Pranam,
  Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2124 on: August 23, 2012, 02:09:43 PM »
Dear Anil,

Yes. Sri Bhagavan said that seekers are of three types. One is like a wet plantain stem. It never catches fire. So this type
of sadhaka never attains self realization in this birth. The second is like charcoal. It takes time to burn but it catches fire,
though after some time. This type of seekers will attain self realization, a few years later, after constant efforts and perseverance.
The third is like gun powder. It catches fire immediately. A very few seekers are like this. One gaze or one session of sitting with
a Guru is sufficient. They become self realized.

Arunachala Siva.     

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2125 on: August 24, 2012, 09:49:24 AM »
D: What is the aim to be kept in view? Practice requires an aim.
Sri Bhagwan:  ATMAN   IS  THE AIM.  WHAT   ELSE  CAN  THERE  BE?  ALL OTHER AIMS ARE FOR THOSE  WHO  ARE  INCAPABLE  OF  ATMALAKSHYA, (HAVING THE SELF FOR THE  AIM).   THEY   LEAD   YOU   ULTMATELY   TO   ATMA-VICHARA   (ENQUIRY   INTO   THE   SELF).
                                     (Talk—290)

D: Oh, how great these people are. How fortunate they are to be so learned and to have such DEEP UNDERSTANDING so as to be able to discuss with our Bhagwan. Compared with them, what I am, a zero in scriptural learning?

Sri Bhagwan : (Reading the devotee’s thoughts)-What? This is only the husk! All this book learning and capacity to repeat the scriptures by memory is absolutely no use. To know the truth you need not undergo all this torture of learning. NOT BY READING DO YOU GET THE TRUTH. BE QUIET,  THAT IS TRUTH.  BE  STILL,  THAT  IS  GOD. Do you shave yourself?

D: Yes.

Sri Bhagwan: Ah, for shaving you use a mirror, don’t you? You look into the mirror and then shave YOUR FACE ; YOU DON’T SHAVE THE IMAGE IN THE MIRROR. Similarly all the scriptures are meant only to show you the way to realisation. THEY ARE MEANT FOR PRACTICE AND ATTAIN MENT.
  (Source: The Mountain Path, Jan. 1966, quoted here from Sri A. R. Natarajan’s ‘Know Thyself’)

Dear Devotees,

Therefore, ATMALAKSHYA is the only aim. And all the book learning and all the discussions are meant only for the practice and attainment of that LAKSHYA,  THAT AIM  ONLY. Sri Bhagwan says that mere book learning and discussions are akin to a man trying to shave the image in the mirror.

Hence, in my view, in the light of Sri Bhagwan’s Teaching, much discussion on Dvaita, Advaita, and Visishtadvaita, etc., are of not much use. For all these terms are relative terms and are based on the sense of duality. They are there so long mind and individuality are in operation. The Self is, for ever, as It is.
SRI  BHAGWAN  SAYS  THAT  THERE  IS  NEITHER  DVAITA  NOR  ADVAITA.
I  AM  THAT  I  AM  .  SIMPLE  BEING  IS  THE  SELF. BE QUEIT, THAT IS TRUTH. BE STILL, THAT IS GOD.

ONE  YOU  ARE  NOT,  NOR  ARE  YOU  DUAL.
YOU  ARE  NOT  DUAL  AND  NON-DUAL  BOTH.
Body, breadth, senses, mind and intellect, ego,
None of these are you.
Sleep, waking, dream, the fourth and final state,
None of these are you.
Nor are you mere conjecture, Venkata,
FOR  DEEP  WITHIN  EACH  SEEKER’S  HEART  YOU  SHINE
AS “I AM” , THE TRUE LIFE OF LIFE.
                              V. 268, Sri Ramana sannidhi Murai

Thanks very much.

Pranam,
  Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: August 24, 2012, 02:32:17 PM »
Dear Anil,

Sri Bhagavan said that desiring the Self is the only desire one can have in life.

All scriptures say leave 'this desire, leave that desire.' But He said in simple terms - Desire only the Self.

He also said: If you go on reading Sastras, only Sastra Vasanas would abound. If you do atma vichara,
atma-bodha will be attained. 

Arunachala Siva. 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2127 on: August 25, 2012, 08:59:38 AM »
FOR  THE  WORTHY  DISCIPLE,  THE  WORK  LIES  WITHIN  AND  NOT  WITHOUT. (Talk—227) 

Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

Quote:
“If you do atma vichara
atma-bodha will be attained.”

Ji. Yes. Sri Bhagwan says that the study of sacred books will not suffice. Samadhi alone can reveal It, for thoughts cast a veil over the Reality. So, It cannot be clear in states other than Samadhi. In Samadhi there is only the feeling ‘I am’ and no other thoughts. The meaning and significance of ‘I’ is God Himself and the experience of ‘I am’ is to be still.

Following is a conversation from the Talk—230:
A visitor: Can one realise the Truth by learning the scriptures and study of books?
Sri Bhagwan: No. So long as predispositions remain latent in the mind, realisation cannot be achieved. SASTRA LEARNING IS ITSELF A VASANA. REALISATION IS ONLY IN SAMADHI. 
 Sri Bhagwan says in ‘Day by Day with Bhagwan’  that as far as reading books on Vedanta and sacred works are concerned, we may go on reading any number of them. They can only tell you, “REALISE THE SELF WITHIN YOU’. The Self cannot be found in books. We have to find It out for ourselves, in ourselves.

Therefore, no learning or knowledge is necessary to know our own SWARUPA, as no man requires a mirror to know or be aware of himself. WHAT IS EVENTUALLY REQUIRED IS ALL KNOWLEDGE TO BE GIVEN UP AS NOT-SELF.

Dear sir, you have posted that if one does Atma-vichara, Atma-bodha will be attained. Sri Bhagwan says that if one can do nothing more, at least one should continue saying ‘I, I’ to oneself mentally all the time.

We talk about Mantras. WHAT IS THE GREATEST MANTRA?
Sri Bhagwan has enlightened us that  ‘I’  IS THE FIRST AND  GREATEST MANTRA. ‘I’ IS THE NAME OF GOD. EVEN OM IS SECOND TO IT.

It follows from above that our real work lies within and not without. FOR, SELF IS TO BE FOUND WITHIN FIVE SHAEATHS AND  NOT IN BOOKS.   

Thanks very much, sir.

Pranam,
  Anil

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: August 25, 2012, 09:22:49 AM »
Anil,
Concerning the Study of Scriptures,here is an excerpt from The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna:

"A man received a letter from home informing him that certain presents were to be sent to
his relatives. The names of the articles were given in the letter. As he was about to go
shopping for them, he found that the letter was missing. He began anxiously to search for it,
several others joining in the search. For a long time they continued to search. When at last
the letter was discovered, his joy knew no bounds. With great eagerness he opened the
letter and read it. It said that he was to buy five seers of sweets, a piece of cloth, and a few
other things. Then he did not need the letter any more, for it had served its purpose. Putting
it aside, he went out to buy the things. How long is such a letter necessary? As long as its
contents are not known. When the contents are known one proceeds to carry out the
directions. "In the scriptures you will find the way to realize God. But after getting all the
information about the path, you must begin to work, Only then can you attain your goal.

Mere scholarship condemned

"What will it avail a man to have mere scholarship? A pundit may have studied many
scriptures, he may recite many sacred texts, but if he is still attached to the world and if
inwardly he loves 'woman and gold', then he has not assimilated the contents of the
scriptures. For such a man the study of scriptures is futile.

"The almanac forecasts the rainfall for the year. You may squeeze the book, but you won't
get a drop of water-not even a single drop."
(Laughter.)

GIRISH (smiling): "What did you say, sir, about squeezing the almanac? Won't a single
drop of water come out of it?" (All laugh.)

Elsewhere in The Gospel,The Master Recommends:
"You must do 'this' as well as 'that'. Do your duties in the world, and also fix your mind on
the Lotus Feet of the Lord. Read books of devotion like the Bhagavata or the life of
Chaitanya when you are alone and have nothing else to do."

Likewise Sri Bhagavan also recommended doing pArAyana of books Like Ribhu Gita,Kaivalya navaneetham,etc.

To study Scriptures for scholarship is one thing;reading them to reinforce Shradha is another thing.The Later one is quite useful and is called pArAyana and is recommended by all Great ones.
Namaskar.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2129 on: August 26, 2012, 10:35:38 AM »
Quote:
“In the scriptures you will find the way to realize God. But after getting all the
information about the path, you must begin to work, Only then can you attain your goal.”

"You must do 'this' as well as 'that'. Do your duties in the world, and also fix your mind on
the Lotus Feet of the Lord. Read books of devotion like the Bhagavata or the life of
Chaitanya when you are alone and have nothing else to do."

“Likewise Sri Bhagavan also recommended doing pArAyana of books Like Ribhu Gita,Kaivalya navaneetham,etc.”

“To study Scriptures for scholarship is one thing;reading them to reinforce Shradha is another thing.The Later one is quite useful and is called pArAyana and is recommended by all Great ones.”

Dear Sri Ravi,

Thanks very much, sir, for a very beautiful post which strengthens my understanding that merely endless reading of sacred works cannot bring in Realisation of the Self or the Swarupa on their own. Sri Bhagwan, in no ambiguous terms, cautions in one of the Talks that some people like to read ponderous volumes, full of technicalities, and seek sages to see if they can answer their ingenious questions. Reading such works, they discover new doubts, to their glee, and derive pleasure by solving them. Sri Bhagwan says that knowing it to be sheer waste, the sages do not encourage such people.   

Reflecting “I am the blissful Self”
Is worship as with words and flowers.
True circumambulation is the thought,
‘In me the million universes roll”,
He who knows all beings bow to him
And he to none,
He bows before the Mahalinga-Self.
                        V. 3-39, Ribhu Gita

Dear Sri Ravi, except Sri Bhagwan’s and His devotees’  Works and Compositions, the only sacred works I read is Srimad Bhagavad Gita and some other great works, as enjoined By Sri Bhagwan, such as works like Ribhu Gita, Vivek Chudamani, etc. However I must mention that whenever I happen to read some Divine Songs of Sublime Love, Devotion and Jnana from great sacred works like Tiruvacchakam, Enlightening Songs of Sri Thayumanavar, etc., I am deeply moved and inspired greatly. 

All the above mentioned works deal with the Self or Brahman or Shiva (as in the case of Songs from the Tiruvacchakam) AND THAT POINTEDLY TOO. Asked if there is one Verse that could be remembered as the quintessence of the Srimad Bhagavad Gita, Sri Bhagwan thereupon mentioned V. 10-20, “I am the Self, O Gudakesa, dwelling in the heart of every being; I am the beginning, the middle and also the end of all beings.” And when He was selecting Verses from the Gita for the ‘Song Celestial’, He selected forty-two Verses in all of which either the Self was mentioned explicitly or dealt pointedly with It.

In my view, Sri Bhagwan’s Message to the humanity is direct and plain: Source of all happiness, the Self, is within. ENQUIRE OR SURRENDER AND REALISE IT, IN YOU, AND IN YOURSELF.     

Pranam,
  Anil