Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 756405 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #2100 on: August 20, 2012, 11:44:31 AM »
Dear Anil,

Nice.  Only a Brahma Jnani who is Consciousness and is Cosmic Consciousness, can 'feel' that emotion and show
empathic sentiments towards all living beings.

That is the compassion Sri Bhagavan showed to Cow Lakshmi, Deer Valli, monkeys and dogs and to trees and plants.

Once when someone was trying to pluck mangoes from the trees and since he was not successful, he started hitting the
branches of that tree with a stick, so that mangoes would fall.  Many hundreds of leaves fell on the ground in the process.  Sri Bhagavan
chided him and told him: If some one hits you with that stick, then you will understand what pain is.

Once Sri Ramakrishna said on seeing some one walking on the grass in the lawn. Why do you walk on the grass? Can't you
walk on the platform? It is like walking on my body!

Arunachala Siva.         

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2101 on: August 20, 2012, 03:02:19 PM »
Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

Ji. Yes. Thanks very much, sir. A Brahma Jnani is the Self in the hearts of all, and the Substratum of all that exists or appears to exist. He transcends worldly relationships. If seen in the light of His Highest State, relationships will matter little to a Brahma Jnani. However, that does not mean that He is shorn of compassion.

Dear sir, mother Echammal lost her husband and her only son at the age of twenty five. Stunned by her bereavement, tortured by memory, she on being informed of Sri Bhagwan’s Presence in Tiruvannamalai, at once set out. And with a friend climbed the Hill to Sri Bhagwan.
She stood in silence before Him, not telling anything about her calamitous grief. There was no need. The Compassion shining in Sri Bhagwan’s eyes was healing enough. A whole hour is said to have passed, and no word was spoken. At last she turned and went down the Hill to the town, her steps light, the burden of her sorrow lifted.
Although the grief passed though the newly found peace, she was mother enough to adopt a daughter to form a new attachment, of course, with Sri Bhagwan’s permission.  She married her adopted daughter when time came and even she had a grandson from her whom she named (what else?) Ramana. But alas! Destiny has ordained otherwise for her. She received, utterly unexpected, a telegram informing her that her adopted daughter had died. Her old grief broke upon her again. She rushed up the Hill to Sri Bhagwan with the telegram. Sri Bhagwan read it with tears in His eyes. Mother Echammal was consoled but was still sorrowful. After funeral she returned to Sri Bhagwan with her little grandson Ramana. She placed the child Ramana in the arms of Bhagwan Sri Ramana. Once more Sri Bhagwan wept with tears in His eyes as He held the child to His bosom. Sri Bhagwan’s Compassion bestowed peace on her.     

Pranam,
   Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2102 on: August 20, 2012, 03:21:11 PM »
Dear Anil,

Yes. In a way Sri Bhagavan was like a Mirror. He was reflecting the emotions and feelings of others.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2103 on: August 20, 2012, 05:11:59 PM »
Dear Sri Beloved Abstract,

I wish to say that I have read your recent posts and even pondered over your cryptic and insightful observations. I do not know whether you will see and read this post, still I felt that I should post my response under the topic I am still continuing with in this Forum.

Dear Sri Beloved Abstract, we are aware by His Grace that Consciousness, limiting Itself, is the Jiva. Or we may say that the Supreme Self, shining in the Heart as ‘I’, is reflected by the mind as the false little self. Yes, while it is true that there is no limiting the consciousness, there is no reflection of the Supreme Self, from the stand-point of Jnana or Knowledge, fact remains that True Knowledge consists in realising through one’s own experience the false nature of the little self. Till then it is impossible to escape the stories you speak of.  That will happen when one follows sincerely the Teaching of the Guru through His Grace.

Therefore, IF  THROUGH  HIS  GRACE  ONE  REMAINS  AS  THE  SELF  WITHOUT  LOSING  HOLD,  THAT  IS  THE  END  OF  ALL  STORIES—WITH  ALL  ITS  PARAPHERNALIA—CAST, CHARACTERS  AND  PLOTS.

Thanks very much.

Pranam,
  Anil     

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2104 on: August 21, 2012, 08:21:30 AM »
Dear Devotees,

We are so accustomed to the relative knowledge that we identify ourselves with it.  Self is undoubtedly ever realised. And when we say, ‘I do not know the Self’, it only means absence in terms of relative knowledge only. Can I say that the Self is not? Can I say my Swarupa is not? Can I say ‘I am not’? THAT SOUNDS ABSOLUTELY ABSURD TO SAY SO. Does it not? False individuals hope to see the Self outside of themselves OBJECTIVELY, as one sees an object in the phenomenal world. But the Self is the Absolute Consciousness in which the seer and the seen merge together and One is Single Whole. Therefore, only wrong identity with the relative knowledge has forged the difficulty of not knowing the obvious and ever-present Self, because It can never be objectified.
For example:

I may ask, ‘How to know the Self?’
DEAR DEVOTEES, WE MUST BE ABLE TO SEE THAT OUR DIFFICULTY IS CENTERED IN ‘HOW?’ WHO AFTER ALL IS SUPPOSED TO KNOW THE SELF WHILE I AM THAT I AM ALL THE WHILE, FOR EVER?
THE BODY?  OR THE MIND  MADE OF INSENTIENT  THOUGHTS? When will we be able to see that any thought we think or any concept that we imagine takes us away from the cool shade of our blissful Swarupa to out in the frying pan of thoughts, for all thoughts are sorrowful except the thought of Him That abides in the Heart.

Sri Bhagwan: God is said to emanate as the mind, the senses and the body and to play. Who are you to say that this play is a trouble to you ? WHO ARE YOU TO QUESTION THE DONINGS OF GOD?

We must also understand, whether we are aware or not, that we all are proceeding head long towards Realisation only. All rivers are rushing frantically to rejoin the ocean only, and that implies the destruction of the individual rivers as well.
Dear devotees, that Ocean is the Self-consciousness Whose Seat is the Heart within.  And that river is the consciousness or the sense of ‘I’.  Sri Bhagwan, the Great Prophet of Enquiry, and the Lord of Supreme Silence, reveals that when one turns inward with untroubled mind to search where the consciousness of ‘I’ arises realises the Atma-swarupa and merges in the ocean of the Self-consciousness like the river when it merges in the ocean.   

Therefore, OUR DUTY IS TO ENQUIRE OUR WAY TO THE SWARUPA BE STILL, REMAINIG AS SAT-CHIT BLISSFULLY. THAT STILLNESS MEANS DESTRUCTION OF THE INDIVIDUAL FORM, FOR ANY SHAPE AND FORM IS THE CAUSE OF TROUBLE.

Pranam,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2105 on: August 21, 2012, 08:30:39 AM »
The last sentence of my privious post should read  "Therefore, OUR DUTY IS TO ENQUIRE OUR WAY TO THE SWARUPA AND BE STILL, REMAINIG AS SAT-CHIT BLISSFULLY. THAT STILLNESS MEANS DESTRUCTION OF THE INDIVIDUAL FORM, FOR ANY SHAPE AND FORM IS THE CAUSE OF TROUBLE. "

Pranam,
  Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2106 on: August 21, 2012, 09:55:55 AM »
Dear Anil,

Yes. That is exactly what is meant by being still, a thoughtless state, keeping the mind in silence. Summa Iru is a maha mantra
from Sri Bhagavan.

Arunachala Siva.

Hari

• View Profile
    • Fundamental questions about mind
« Reply #2107 on: August 21, 2012, 11:40:48 AM »
Dear Anil, Ravi and others

The last sentence of my privious post should read  "Therefore, OUR DUTY IS TO ENQUIRE OUR WAY TO THE SWARUPA AND BE STILL, REMAINIG AS SAT-CHIT BLISSFULLY. THAT STILLNESS MEANS DESTRUCTION OF THE INDIVIDUAL FORM, FOR ANY SHAPE AND FORM IS THE CAUSE OF TROUBLE. "

I think that our duty is to adopt a philosophical system, religion, practical method which to help us transcend our ego and we to realize its non-existence. Self-inquiry or investigation is not the only way. Let's not forget what Lord Ramana has said: "Bhakti jnana matha", which means "Surrender to the Lord is the mother of the Supreme Knowledge". It is examplified by Bhagavad Gita and the Upanishads, the bhaktas from all religions and their mystic interpretations of the Scriptures. I don't think that Self-inquiry is more potent than Saranagathi. But Self-inquiry is the most direct method and is suitable for more intellectual people. But sweetness of Complete Saranagathi cannot be expressed with words. That's what the Sages say. As Sir Ethan Walker quotes Sri Amma in his book "Mystic Christ":

Amma advised that practicing non-duality alone is dry, like eating stones. She directed him to practice the devotional path. She explained that non-duality is the goal and devotion is the means.

Actually there is no only Surrender and only Atma-vichara. The both path go side by side.

I write this because many people think that their 'practice' of Saranagathi is inferior than Atma Vichara and they feel unhappy. This is not true and Bhagavan Ramana, Bhagavan Ramakrishna, Lord Jesus and many others are example for that.
Web Page dedicated to the Great Sages:
https://someoneelsebg.000webhostapp.com/Sages/HTML.html

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2108 on: August 21, 2012, 03:56:58 PM »
Dear Hari,

Sri Bhagavan used to say: Self surrender (saranagati) and Self Inquiry are the two sides of the same coin. In the first,
we keep the ego intact and be devoted to God which ultimately becomes self-surrender,  Saranagati. In Self inquiry,
we kill the ego first and realize that once the mind is quiescent in the Self, is is all bliss.

In the first we become humble and attain. (adangi aRihiRom)
In the second, we attain and then become humble. (aRinthu adangukiRom)

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2109 on: August 21, 2012, 03:59:51 PM »
Dear Sri Hari,

Yes.  Your understanding is indisputable:
"Bhakti is Jnana Matha."

Yes. No method, no technique, no system, to reach God, should be termed as ‘inferior’. All methods, all paths, all systems, to reach God, are most welcome, for ALL is He only, FOR IN ALL PATHS IT IS HE ONLY. I believe that His Grace therefore can be experienced in each and every path. ONE WILL MAKE EFFORT TO REACH HIM ONLY FROM WHERE GOD HAS PLACED HIM.
Who says that Saranagathi is inferior to Atma-vichara? One who says so has not come to Sri Bhagwan.

Dear Sri Hari, He only said that Vichara, as taught by Him, is all inclusive, that is, It includes all other paths. This has been discussed under the current topic itself many times over. For example:

What do you mean by surrender? Surrender to whom and how? We will do well if we once again go through these famous lines of Sri Bhagwan :

“Surrender is to give oneself up to the original cause of one’s being. Do not delude yourself by imagining such source to be some God outside you. One’s source is within yourself. GIVE YOURSELF UP TO IT. That means you should seek the source and merge in it.”
As long as one is a sadhaka, only the path he is treading is visible to him, that too up to the sight of his feeble, blurred and troubled vision. But once He climbs up to the Peak of Jnana, He finds all paths converging in Him only. All paths, at once, simultaneously, become visible to Him, with perfect clarity.

Dear Sri Hari, having said as above, I wish to convey that as far as this little fellow, that is, myself, is concerned, two things I understood, by His Grace, almost spontaneously, if you allow me to say so.
Conviction dawned that
1.   JNANA VICHARA IS ONLY INVESTIGATION OF ‘I’.
2.   TO ABIDE AS THE CONSCIOUSNESS IS SELF-SURRENDER.

Besides, the above, I wish to respond to one more observation which you made in your last post under this topic.
‘I do not believe and therefore can never accept the view that Self-enquiry or Atma-vichara, as taught by Bhagwan Sri Ramana, is for intellectuals only. I will not give other examples. I, with all humility, say that I do sadhana of the Atma-vichara, as taught by Him, and I am not an intellectual, only a very ordinary devotee.   

Dera sri Hari, I do not know anything about Sir Ethan Walker, nor I wish to know.

Thanks very much.
 Pranam,
  Anil

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #2110 on: August 21, 2012, 04:12:32 PM »
Besides, the above, I wish to respond to one more observation which you made in your last post under this topic.
‘I do not believe and therefore can never accept the view that Self-enquiry or Atma-vichara, as taught by Bhagwan Sri Ramana, is for intellectuals only. I will not give other examples. I, with all humility, say that I do sadhana of the Atma-vichara, as taught by Him, and I am not an intellectual, only a very ordinary devotee.   

Oh, no. I didn't say that. But I marked that for intellectual types Self-iqnuiry is more natural than Saranagathi, I didn't mean nothing more, nothing less.

Dera sri Hari, I do not know anything about Sir Ethan Walker, nor I wish to know.

I also don't know anything about him but I found his quotes of Sri Amma, contemporary non-dual Guru. She didn't say that Self-inquiry is inferior or dry in general but that for the emotional people which most of us are, Saranagathi is more natural. It is obvious. Proof for that are the predominance of the religions over philosophical systems.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2111 on: August 21, 2012, 04:19:43 PM »
Quote:
"Sri Bhagavan used to say: Self surrender (saranagati) and Self Inquiry are the two sides of the same coin. In the first,
we keep the ego intact and be devoted to God which ultimately becomes self-surrender,  Saranagati. In Self inquiry,
we kill the ego first and realize that once the mind is quiescent in the Self, is is all bliss."

Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

Ji. Yes. Enquiry and surrender, as taught by Him, are two sides of the same coin. I feel that one who says that enquiry is a dry method does know the truth about the enquiry. Once a sadhaka begins to partake even a trickling little of the Honey of the Bliss of the Self, CAN HE EVER ACCEPT THE VIEW THAT ENQUIRY, AS TAUGHT BY SRI BHAGWAN, IS A DRY METHOD? I do not know what makes a devotee think so. Any way, a devotee has always the freedom to adopt only that method which suits him best.

Thanks very much, sir.

Pranam,
 Anil     

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2112 on: August 21, 2012, 04:22:50 PM »
Dear Sri Hari,

Yes. Thannks very much.

Pranam,
  Anil

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #2113 on: August 21, 2012, 04:36:59 PM »
I feel that one who says that enquiry is a dry method does know the truth about the enquiry.

For realized person there would not exist duality or separation between investigation and devotion. That's why I interpret these word like that - for most people mere investigation, without duality is just a meaningless activity. What she has meant is about the majority of the ordinary people. For advanced sadhaka, these two seemingly different methods mergo into one Reality and he doesn't make distinction between them.

Best wishes, Hari

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2114 on: August 21, 2012, 06:32:56 PM »
Quote from Sri Hari:
"That's why I interpret these word like that - for most people mere investigation, without duality is just a meaningless activity."

Sear Sri Hari,

What do you mean by the quoted lines above? Will you kindly ealborate it further so that I can grasp what you mean to convey? Vichara has 'I' to begin with. Do you mean to say that you are not dear to yourself or your Self is not dear to you or you do not love your Self or the Swarupa? What is more dear to one than oneself?
Yes, Vichra is subjective. But how did you reach the conclusion that investigation to be meaningful should have duality? That is absurd to say the least.

Thanks very much.

Pranam,
  Anil