Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 757685 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #2070 on: August 13, 2012, 09:31:22 AM »
Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

Ji. Yes. Devi Kalottaram Jnana Vichara Patalam and Sarva Jnanottara Atma Sakshatkara Prakaranam are wonderful Works of Pure Advaita. They are regarded as divine revelations and therefore no human authorship is ascribed to them. They are as authoritative and authentic as the Vedas themselves.
 The Great Lord says in the third Verse of the Devikalottara that one who is not able to realise the Truth in his Heart by this Knowledge of spiritual wisdom KNOWN AS KALA JNANA, can never attain It even by studying countless crores of sastras spread out like sky.

I wish to know the exact words used by Sri Bhagwan in His Tamil translation for ‘Kala Jnana’ mentioned in the third Verse of the great Work.

Benedictory Verse of the Atma Sakshatkara composed by Sri Bhagwan and Invocation of the Devikalottara themselves indicate that the path of spiritual wisdom expounded in these two great works is the Straight Path or the Direct Path.

“This is the Direct Awareness of the Self,
Graciously expounded to Guha by Iswara Himself,
The foremost and first Lord, now teaching this in Tamil
Seated as the Self in my Heart.”
                     Atma Sakshatkara,  Benedictory Verse

Meditate in the Heart upon Lord Ganesa—the silent, non-dual, universal witness—who is the nectar of divine bliss and is full of grace, shining as the bountiful flowering of aspirants following the path of spiritual wisdom revealed in Devikalottara, which was expounded by Lord Iswara into the ears of Goddess Iswari.
                   Invocation, Devikalottara

It is worth mention here that Verses 70-72 in Devikalottara forbid the harming even of plant life. However, in the ‘Collected Works of Sri Ramana Maharshi’, it is mentioned that these are not to be taken as applying to aspirants on the Path. No extremes of discipline or behaviour are demanded of them. Indeed, as is generally indicated in these two Agamas, questions of discipline, ritual, and behaviour are far less important on this Path than any other, since it is a Path which works directly on the Heart, awakening spiritual Knowledge.

Thanks very much, sir.

Pranam,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2071 on: August 13, 2012, 01:01:50 PM »
Dear Devotees,

SRI  BHAGWAN  TAUGHT  THAT  THERE  ARE  ONLY  TWO  METHODS—ENQUIRY  AND  SURRENDER.
THEREFORE,  DO  ENQUIRY  TO  ERASE  ‘I  AM  THE  BODY  AND  I  AM  THE  DOER  IDEAS’  FOR  ONCE  AND   ALL.
CHANT  “OM  NAMO  BHAGWATE  SRI RAMNAYA”, WITH  BHAVA   OR  ATTITUDE  OF  SURRENDER,  TO  OBTAIN  OR  TO  ATTAIN  HIS  GRACE.
IF  ONE  CANNOT  DO  THIS,  THAT  IS  A  DIFFERENT  MATTER  ALTOGETHER. HOWEVER,  IF  ONE  CAN  DO  THIS,  WHAT  MORE  IS  NEEDED?

Pranam,
  Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2072 on: August 13, 2012, 03:15:00 PM »
Dear Anil,

Sri Bhagavan calls it only as Kala Jnana, with no description. Sri Arthur Osborne also translates it as only Kala Jnana.

Smt. T.R. Kanakammal says in her commentary: It is direct non mediated experience of Atma Jnana.

In other words, we can take it as Self Realization is Kala Jnana, which is beyond time, kAlam in Tamizh.

Arunachala Siva.   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2073 on: August 14, 2012, 11:49:18 AM »
Dear Devotees,

The great devotee, Sri Sadhu Natanananda needs no introduction. He is one of those fortunate devotees whose divinely ordained mission in life was to disseminate Sri Bhagwan’s Words of Grace. Upadesa Manjari, which forms a part of the ‘Collected Works of Sri Ramana Maharshi’, is his contribution. A beautiful passage from his wonderful work ‘Sri Ramana Darshanam’ is quoted below as follows:   

NANA VICHARA IS ONLY INVESTIGATION OF ‘I’

It is impossible to come across two people who have similarity in appearance, traits, knowledge and nature. However, uniformity is to be found among the vast majority with regard to their ignorance in regarding the body as ‘I’. It is well known that when the ignorant refer to their attributes of thought, speech, behaviour, nature and experience, the ‘I’, which is the subject of their attributes and which in truth is Consciousness, is regarded by them to be the body. Despite the absence of knowledge of their true nature, the awareness of their own existence, which is present in all the three states of waking, dream and sleep, is natural to all. This is why even an atheist never doubts his own existence. The difference between a Jnani and an ajnani is only in the knowledge of their real nature. It is this ignorance that degrades mankind from its human nature to the nature of brute.
 The lamentation of Appar, “I AM NOT A BRUTE, BUT I HAVE NOT CEASED TO BE A BRUTE”, demonstrates that even after getting this rare human birth, the knowledge appropriate to it has not been obtained.
Therefore, to live truly as a human, and to attain the goal of a human birth, it is essential to know through inward enquiry the real nature of Being-Consciousness, the ‘I’ that is ever proclaiming unceasingly one’s own existence. This indeed is Self-enquiry. THE  PRACTICE  OF  THIS  ‘WHO AM  I?’  ENQUIRY  IS  INDISPENSIBLE  FOR INVESTIGATING CLEARLY  THE NATURE  AND  MODIFICATIONS  OF BEING –CONSCIOUSNESS.

Dear devotees, we are not brutes. But we have not ceased to be brutes. What does that mean? In my view, it simply means that we are by nature divine. We have swerved away from our divinity and become animals. DIVINITY IS NOT SOMETHING THAT WILL DESCENT FROM ABOVE, OR SOMETHING THAT WE SHOULD ACQUIRE, BUT DIVINITY IS THE FULFILMENT OF HUMANITY. ONE SHOULD NOT HARBOUR ANY DOUBT ABOUT THAT.

Thanks very much.

Pranam,
  Anil
“   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2074 on: August 14, 2012, 01:55:07 PM »
Dear Anil,

All these brutal qualities stem from rajo guna and tamo guna. That is why cultivating sattvic traits is an important
pre-requisite for successful self inquiry or self surrender.

Arunachala Siva. 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2075 on: August 14, 2012, 06:33:07 PM »

Gunatita or transcending the gunas is the final stage. Sri Bhagwan says in talk—73 that there are earlier stages before that.

Asudha Satva ( Impure being): when overpowered by rajas and tamas.
Misra Satva (Mixed being):’ Mixed being is that in which the being—Satva—asserts itself spasmodically’.
Sudha Satva (Pure Being): ‘Sudha Satva overpowers rajas and tamas’.

Sri Bhagwan says that ‘after these successive stages there comes the state transcending gunas’.

Dear sir, I believe that those who have come to Sri Bhagwan and doing sadhana sincerely as taught by Him, cannot be impure being, that is completely overpowered by rajas and tamas. Such persons, in my view, may find it difficult to delve deep into ‘I’-Consciousness. Even for such persons I believe that perseverance is the key, for Sri Bhagwan’s Grace andSelf-enquiry itself, I am certain, will show the Path.

Sri Bhagwan again says in Talk—28 that vasanas can be obliterated. ‘It is done by concentration on that which is free from vasanas and yet is their Core’.     

Thanks very much, sir.

Pranam,
  Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2076 on: August 14, 2012, 06:40:40 PM »
Dear Anil.

Yes. I agree with what you say.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2077 on: August 15, 2012, 09:49:53 AM »
Dear Devotees,

On the eve of the Independence Day, I pray to Bhagwan Sri Ramana, who is none other than Sri Arunachala Himself, to fulfil the spiritual destiny of our great country. I pray for Her children also so that they may base their invaluable human lives on good spiritual foundation. On this occasion I pray for our great nation to continue to emanate spiritual light so that the citizens of the whole world may benefit.

Thanks very much.

Pranam,
 Anil   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2078 on: August 15, 2012, 09:55:55 AM »
Dear Anil,

You have made a great prayer to Sri Bhagavan /Arunachala.

One new wave Tamizh poet sang a long time back:

They say we got at midnight.
When half the world was asleep.

It is yet to dawn.
Day break is yet to come.
The fresh rays of sun are yet to be seen!

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2079 on: August 15, 2012, 09:56:28 AM »
Dear Devotees,

Smt. Shantammal, one of the Kitchen Workers, was an excellent devotee. Once Sri Bhagwan refused to drink coffee. Smt. Shantammal believed that He was doing this to punish the Kitchen Workers for their misbehaviour the day before. Sri Bhagwan asks for some rasam on pancake. Instead Smt. Shantammal poured almond milk over them. As a result Sri Bhagwan immediately flared up. “What! I ask for rasam and you serve me milk. Go and get some rasam.” It is a different matter altogether that subsequently He mixed all of it together—sweet pancakes, almond milk and rasam—and then ATE THE STRANGE-TASTING, HARMOGENISED PULP ON HIS PLATE.

After a month passed like this and Sri Bhagwan didn’ take coffee. One day Smt Shantammal burst into tears Before Sri Bhagwan, “Swami, I offended you. But there must be an end to the punishment. Please have your coffee.” 
Sri Bhagwan looked surprised, “No, I do not think I gave up coffee to punish you. Why should I punish anybody? I gave up coffee because it does not agree with me. Ask the doctor. He will tell you. He advised me to avoid coffee.”
However Sri Bhagwan began to take it regularly again after a devotee named Smt. Janaki Amma brought a huge pot of coffee and placed it before Sri Bhagwan.
“What am I to do now?” He asked. ‘Coffee has come by itself. Nobody asked Janaki to bring it. Now, if I do not drink it, nobody will touch it and janaki will be upset.’

Smt Shantammal, a devotee par excellence, narrates:

“You may ask what this storm in a pot of coffee has to do with liberation and realisation. Those who have not lived through it cannot appreciate the deep, spiritual effect of these anxieties and conflicts. Our sense of ‘I’ would hurl itself against the rock of truth, but the rock would not yield. The ‘I’ had to yield and in that yielding was the highest blessing. Bhagwan’s anger would sometimes seem to shatter us to pieces, and blessed indeed were they who saw in His wrath His utmost Grace.
After serving for years in the Kitchen, I became old, my heart got weak, and I could work no longer. I stopped going to the Kitchen and I was wondering what to do next. I did not want to eat without working , nor had I any means to live on my own in Tiruvannamalai. I wanted to go away to a near relative of mine, a doctor who had been inviting me to come and live with him. One night I dreamt that I was taking leave of Bhagwan.
As I fell at His Feet He told me, ‘Why do you think of going? Who is there in this world to take care of you?’
Disregarding the dream, I left the Ashram. I reached the doctor’s house on a Saturday afternoon. The doctor, who looked quite healthy, died suddenly the next day at noon. I then went to my own place in Ramanathapuram. There too everything went wrong and I felt so miserable, my relatives bought me a ticket and put me on the train for Tiruvannamalai. Now I have no place in the world except at His Feet. NOR DO I WANT ANY OTHER.
To those who would taunt me by saying, you were for so long with Bhagwan and still you are subject to pain and sorrow,’ my answer would be: ‘Each time I was in trouble I experienced His Grace. My greatest sorrows led me to the highest bliss. Bhagwan makes me and unmakes me. Who am I, a simple old woman, to choose when all comes from Him only?’”
Source: The Power o f the Presence, Part Three       

Pranam,
  Anil   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2080 on: August 15, 2012, 01:50:54 PM »
Dear Anil,

Nice write up. Srimad Bhagavatam says:  Krishna robs a true devotee of all his wealth, his health, his kith and kin, He gives
him all sufferings and finally gives him deliverance.

Once there was one Sastri mama (uncle), who was a priest for Mother's temple in the Asramam. When he became old,  he had
to discontinue his services. However he was still living in Tiruvannamalai. Soon his legs became numb and he could not even
move his legs and he became bedridden. Sri Ganesan came to see him and seeing his condition, said: Mama! What a pity!
With all your services for the Mother's Temple, Sri Bhagavan should not have made you suffer like this.

Sastri Mama looked at Sri Ganesan sternly: "What are you talking?  Why do you say that Sri Bhagavan has made me to suffer
like this. After all only kAl (leg in Tamizh and also it means a quarter) is not okay. But mukkAl  (three quarters; that is the
remaining parts of the body) is okay. Should I not thank Sri Bhagavan for this Grace? He has reduced my karmic effects
to a great extent. I am able to meditate on Him and contemplate on His Grace.  The Asramam is taking care of the expenses
of my family. What more do I want?"       

Saint Manikkavachagar says:

kaNkaL iraNdum avan kazhal kaNdu kaLippana AhAthe!
mAlariya malarp pAdam iraNdum vaNanguthum AhAthe!

He has given me two bright eyes and I can rejoice in seeing His anklet wearing Feet! 
The flower-like Feet that are not fathomed by Vishnu, I am able to pray!

andham ilAtha akaNdamum nammuL ahapadum AhAthe!
Adi mudal paramaya param chudar aNNuvathu AhAthe!

The endless Space has been caught in my Heart.
The primordial  Great Effulgence, I am able to experience!

(Tirup padai Aatchi, Tiruvachakam.)   

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2081 on: August 16, 2012, 10:31:36 AM »
Quote from Sri Subramanian Sir:
They say we got at midnight.
When half the world was asleep.

It is yet to dawn.
Day break is yet to come.
The fresh rays of sun are yet to be seen!

Sastri Mama looked at Sri Ganesan sternly: "What are you talking?  Why do you say that Sri Bhagavan has made me to suffer
like this. After all only kAl (leg in Tamizh and also it means a quarter) is not okay. But mukkAl  (three quarters; that is the
remaining parts of the body) is okay. Should I not thank Sri Bhagavan for this Grace? He has reduced my karmic effects
to a great extent. I am able to meditate on Him and contemplate on His Grace.  The Asramam is taking care of the expenses
of my family. What more do I want?"       

Saint Manikkavachagar says:

kaNkaL iraNdum avan kazhal kaNdu kaLippana AhAthe!
mAlariya malarp pAdam iraNdum vaNanguthum AhAthe!

He has given me two bright eyes and I can rejoice in seeing His anklet wearing Feet! 
The flower-like Feet that are not fathomed by Vishnu, I am able to pray!

Thanks very much, sir, for nice posts. Lord Sri Krishna teaches in Srimad Bhagavad Gita thus:
“When the discerning person sees no one as DOER OTHER THAN THE THREE GUNAS, and realises Me, the supreme Spirit standing entirely beyond these Gunas, he enters into My being (V. 14-19, Gita).”
“Having transcended the aforesaid three Gunas, WHICH HAVE CAUSED THE BODY, and freed from birth, death, old age and all kinds of sorrow, this soul attains supreme bliss (14-20, Gita).

“The five elements, the ego, the intellect, the Unmanifest Primordial Substance, the ten organs of perception and action, the mind, and the five objects of sense, also, desires, aversion, pleasures, pain, the physical body, consciousness, firmness: is the KSETRA, with its evolutes, briefly stated. (V. 13- 5 & 6, Gita)

Having taught as above, the great Lord declares through the famous Gita Verse, i.e., ADHYATMAJNANANITYATVAM…………
“Constancy in Self-knowledge and seeing God as the object of true knowledge—all this is declared as knowledge, and what is other than this is called ignorance.(13-11)

Besides, the Great Lord says:
“Arjuna, the wise man to whom pain and pleasures are alike, and who is not tormented by these contacts, becomes eligible for immortality. (V. 2—15, Gita)

Dear sir, however real physical pain may appear, Sri Bhagwan has taught that from the point of view of Janan or the Reality, the pain we speak of is certainly a dream, as is the world of which the pain is only an infinitesimal part. Pain and suffering pertain to the body. The Great Lord of the Gita and the great Lord of Silence both declare that the constancy in Self-awareness alone is the true Knowledge. In the light of the above Teaching, Smt. Shantammal’s and Sri Sastri Mama’s indifference to pain and suffering is based on the inner awareness of the Reality, as is obvious from their vehemently denying that there is pain and suffering despite passing through great ordeals. It shows that they are the fortunate ones who have done away with ‘I am the body and I am the doer’ ideas and are already on an exalted plane of Awareness.

Thanks very much, sir.

Pranam,
  Anil           

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2082 on: August 16, 2012, 05:00:37 PM »
Dear Devotees,

Regarding discussion on meat-eating I wish to add that the practice of vegetarianism is not only out of reluctance or disinclination to take lives or to eat flesh. Although this is one valid reason, that is, compassion for animals, it is also because unsattvic food tends to increase animal passions and impede spiritual effort. However, it is worth mention here that unsattvic foods includes onion, garlic, etc., also, besides animal flesh.

Dear devotees, I wish to say that shunning non-vegetarian food is of no use if it does not come from within. Sri Bhagwan has underlined the importance of taking sattvic food in moderation for a devotee. Yes, He often did not give any injunction concerning food or outer activities of the devotees. Nevertheless, He sowed the spiritual seed in the hearts of the devotees and left it to grow and shape as it grew; AND THE INJUNCTION CAME FROM WITHIN.

Sri Arthur Osborne observes:
One western devotee was an out and out meat-eater when he arrived, LOOKING UPON MEAT AS A REAL SUBSTANCE OF A MEAL AS WELL AS THE MOST TASTY PART, AND, WITH NO WORD SPOKEN ON THE SUBJECT, THE TIME CAME WHEN HE FELT AN AVERSION TO THE VERY IDEA OF EATING MEAT.

Therefore, dear devotees, I am certain that even if one is a voracious meat-eater, he would develop aversion in due course when treading the Path. Injunction is certain to come from within.

I wish to add that this is the argument for argument’s sake when a devotee argues to say that food grains take the life of the plants, or eating cow’s milk is some sort of violence against the calves.

Thanks very much.

Pranam,
 Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2083 on: August 16, 2012, 05:17:35 PM »
Dear Anil,

Yes. It happened in the case of Arthur Osborne himself. He was a non vegetarian for many years. But Lucia Osborne, stopped
cooking non veg food at home soon after she reached T'malai with her children. But Arthur still had the craving and he used
to go out and eat chicken.  One day when he ordered for chicken and when the plate came, it occurred to him that the chicken
is telling him: Why are you making your stomach as my cemetery?  He felt revulsion and then ordered for fish. He was eating
fish for some weeks. Then the same 'experience of revulsion' came up strongly and he left all non vegetarian food.

Whereas Chadwick and Cohen were vegetarians even before coming to Arunachala.

Arunachala Siva.     

Vinod

• View Profile
« Reply #2084 on: August 16, 2012, 09:02:06 PM »
Dear Subramanian and others,

Its been just few years I have been attracted to Arunachalam and I also confess that I dont have spiritual knowledge like most of the people in this forum have, but however after reading some posts, I started practicing "self enquiry". I must say that, now I have more control of mind than before and being inspired of that I have decided to go to next level and started spending more time in the process.

Can some one brief me in simple words whether the steps i am following below is correct or do I need to incorporate any thing else?

1. I close my eyes (Its total black out)
2. Start enquiring who am I?
3. In due course consciousness of the body is lost.
4. Eventually when the consciousness of the body is lost, thoughts stop.
5. Its just the soul which is present in this stage surrounded by darkness, now whats next? Do we still continue the process of self enquiry till we reach the stage of "bliss"? If Yes, does bliss is the "only" and "next stage" of self enquiry? 

Request some one to share the wisdom in simple words, as I have been confused reading many replies on the same topic "self enquiry" and suggest whether the steps I am following is correct or not?

OM ARUNACHALESHWARAAYA NAMAHA!