Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 758275 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #2055 on: August 09, 2012, 08:32:17 AM »
An Ecerpt from ‘Soundaryalahari :
A Digest of Kanchi Mahaswamigal.s Discourses’

"Thus I am the One who gives this new Bhakti in the state of
jnAna. And I will be the One who will give you that jnAna to you, my
devotee, when the time is ripe. Don.t you worry. You have come to Me as
your Mother. I will take care of you. The bondage in which I threw you
shall be removed from you by Myself. You need not have to keep on
crying for .Release.. Once you know I am the only One there is, hold on to
that steadfastly; there is no question of .Release. thereafter. .Release.
from what?
.Let jnAnis think that they will get the Ultimate Peace only when
the duality-awareness goes away from them and let them go their own
way of Enquiry of the Self. When you feel you don.t have the interest or
the stamina to go that way, don.t feel bad or incomplete. Come through
the path of Love. See the multiplicities. But instead of seeing them as
different and separate, try not to forget that the basis of all of them is the
single Me. Love Me from your heart and view everything through Love.
Encompass everything in Love. I shall raise you to the Ultimate
Enlightenment by My Love and Grace..
Thus arises the godly experience that is blessed by the Mother
Goddess. By Mother Goddess I also mean the Lord-God, the paramAtmA,
and also the individual favourite deity of each of us."

Dear Sri Ravi,

I have downloaded the ‘Soundaryalahari: A Digest of Kanchi Mahaswamigal’s Discourses, as you guided’. I have even gone through a few pages by now. I must admit that I am overwhelmed by the Content It contains, to say the least. Thanks very much, sir. I hope you would kindly continue to guide us in our spiritual pursuit similarly.

Pranam,
 Anil 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2056 on: August 09, 2012, 10:20:52 AM »
Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

Sri Bhagwan reads out a few extracts (quotations from Sri Paul Brunton) from  a small pamphlet called ‘Divine Grace Through Total Self-Surrender’ by Sri P.C. Desai:

“I remain perfectly calm and fully aware of who I am and what is occurring. Self still exists, but it is a changed, radiant Self. Something that is far superior to my unimportant personality rises into consciousness and becomes me. I am in the midst of an ocean of blazing light. I sit in the lap of holy bliss.”
And also:
“Divine grace is a manifestation of the cosmic free-will in operation. It can alter the course of events in a mysterious manner through its own unknown laws, which are superior to all natural laws, and can modify the latter by interaction. It is the most powerful force in the universe. It descents and acts, only when it is invoked by total self-surrender. It acts from within, because God resides in the heart of all beings. Its whisper can be heard only in a mind purified by self-surrender and prayer. ”

Sri Brunton describes its nature thus:
“Rationalists laugh at it and atheists scorn it, but it exists. It is a descent of God into the soul’s zone of awareness. It is visitation of force unexpected and unpredictable. It is a voice spoken out of cosmic silence……..It is cosmic will which can perform authentic miracles under its own laws.”
                            Source: 4.1 46 Morning, Day by day with Bhagwan

Dear sir, It exists and operates in a mysterious manner through its own unknown laws. Does It not? For some time now, I felt deeply that, at this stage of the sadhana, I should study and make effort to assimilate the Content of the Soundaryalahiri, but somehow I had not been able to do it so far. Then Sri Ravi comes and guides me to a digest of Sri Kanchi Maha Swamigal’s Discourses on the Soundaryalahiri. I read it and am overwhelmed. Well, I deeply regard this as an act of Sri Bhagwan’s Grace.

Thanks very much, sir.

Pranam,
  Anil   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2057 on: August 09, 2012, 03:50:39 PM »
We bow our heads to the Holy Ramana, the Ocean of Grace, the Infinite, Incommensurable, Unborn Primal Divinity, Guru of all Gurus, shining in the Hearts of all creatures as ‘I’.
                                                 Benedictory Verse, Sri Ramanaparvidyopanishad

Devotion and surrender to the Guru of Gurus, Holy Bhagwan Sri Ramana, who is Ocean of Grace, Sri Arunachal Shiva Himself, and is the Real Self of all creatures, is the means to attain the Atma-Swarupa . 

Of all the forms of God, the best is the Sage, who does not consider Him as other than the Self. Indeed the Sage, who is the Guru, is the second of the three forms of Divine grace.
                                V. 235, Sri Ramanaparavidyopanishad.

Three forms of the Divine Grace, referred to in the above Verse, in my view, are God, Guru and the Self, who are One and the same.

Pranam,
  Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2058 on: August 09, 2012, 04:16:04 PM »
Dear Anil,

Yes. See this conversation that Mr. Thomas, Professor of Sanskrit, University of Oxford, and Sri Bhagavan:

Devotee: Saiva Siddhanta postulates three fundamentals as being eternal. Is it opposed to Vedanta?

Maharshi: The three entities are Jiva, God and bondage. Such trinities are common in all religions. They are true
as long as the mind is operative. They are mere creations of the mind. One can postulate God only after the mind
arises. God is not different from the Self. The Self is objectified as God. So also with Guru.

Thus, God, Guru and the Self are one and the same.

Arunachala Siva.     

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2059 on: August 10, 2012, 04:18:46 PM »
Quote from Sri Subramanian Sir:
“One can postulate God only after the mind
arises. God is not different from the Self. The Self is objectified as God. So also with Guru.

Thus, God, Guru and the Self are one and the same.”

Self is the being, Self is God, and the Self is the Guru. State of being is here and now all along. The Guru is also within.
Ishwara?
 Ji. Yes. One can postulate Ishwara only after the mind arises. Sri Bhagwan says that existence of Ishwara follows from our own conception of Ishwara. Whose concept is He? For, Sri Bhagwan has taught that the concept will be only according to one who conceives.
l Feel that one who is engaged in the sadhana of Atma-Vichra, begins to understand that Self, the Real Swarupa, is the only Reality—Sat-Chit-Ananda. And That which is doesn’t say even ‘I am’, for, does any doubt arises that ‘I am not’?

Dear sir, ego is not an independent entity, for it comes holding only the being, the Swarupa, or the Self. Sri Bhagwan has taught that for the Supreme Radiant Being to thus rise as the ego is possible only in Its Light diffused through darkness. SRI BHAGWAN REVEALS THAT THIS DARKNESS IS THE ‘ORIGINAL IGNORANCE’. The light passing through this Original Darkness is called the Reflected Light. SRI BHAGWAN POINTS OUT THAT THIS REFLECTED LIGHT ON ITS OWN MERIT IS COMMONLY KNOWN AS THE PURE MIND OR ISHWARA OR GOD AND IS WELL KNOWN TO BE UNIFIED WITH MAYA.

THEREFORE, THE ORIGINAL REFLECTED LIGHT IS GOD OR ISHWARA.

Iswara is the Pure Mind (Satvic Mind). The ego rises when this Reflected Light (Pure Mind) passes through the second darkness or ignorance (active or rajasic). So, it is projected from the former Satvic Mind through another reflection only. Thus the ego is the product of the second darkness. It is also obvious that after the rise of the ego-mind comes the tamasic mind or the dull mind in the shape of the inner organs which appears as the world.

But WE ARE NOT THE MIND. WE ARE THE SELF. Self or the Real Swarupa lies beyond the ego-mind and the world. And ego-mind comes holding only ‘US’, the Self, the Swarupa. IF WE HOLD OURSELVES, THE EGO WILL VANISH.

Thanks very much, sir.

Pranam,
  Anil       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2060 on: August 10, 2012, 04:25:11 PM »
Dear Anil,

Yes. The ego takes us away from the Self towards the world and people.

The destruction of the ego is mukti - Ulladu Narpadu, Verse 40.

Arunachala Siva,

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2061 on: August 10, 2012, 05:02:22 PM »

Thanks very much, sir.
Kindly post the date of the ‘Deepam  Ceremony’ to be celebrated in Tiruvannamalai this year.

Pranam,
  Anil 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2062 on: August 10, 2012, 05:49:13 PM »
Dear Anil,

Mahadeepam is lighted on the evening of 27th November 2012, Tuesday. The festival in the Temple starts just 10 days
before that.

Arunachala Siva.   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2063 on: August 11, 2012, 08:28:55 AM »

Thanks veru much, sir. I asked for the date of the 'mahadeepam', because I am replanning the visit to Sri Arunachala.

Pranam,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2064 on: August 11, 2012, 08:30:04 AM »
In the Sentence of the ancient Revelation, ‘Thou are That’, no meditation is enjoined. What is said by implication is that in the Egoless State the Sage who has won that State has the Experience of the Impersonal Being as identical with his own Real Self.
                                    V. 503, Sri Ramanaparavidyopanishad 
Dear Devotees,

Sri Annamalai Swami says that the first spiritual question he ever asked Sri Bhagwan was how to remove misery.
Sri Bhagwan replied, “Know and always hold on to the Self. DISREGARD THE BODY AND THE MIND. To identify with them is misery. Dive deep into the Heart, the source of being and peace, and ESTABLISH YOURSELF THERE.”
HOW TO ATTAIN SELF-REALISATION?
Sri Bhagwan, “If you give up identifying with the body and meditate on the Self, which you already are, you can attain Self-realisation.”
A few days later Sri Swami asked Sri Bhagwan, “Scientists have invented and produced aircraft which can travel at great speeds in the sky. Why do you not make and give us a spiritual aircraft in which we can quickly and easily cross over the sea of samsara?

Dear devotees, Sri Bhagwan, in my view, out of great compassion for the humanity, has indeed, exactly done the same. He invented and produced for us the Spiritual Aircraft to cross the sea of samsara.

Sri Bhawan, “THE PATH OF SELF-ENQUIRY IS THE AIRCRAFT YOU NEED. IT IS DIRECT, FAST AND EASY TO USE. You are already travelling very quickly towards realisation. It is only because of your mind that it seems that there is no movement. In the old days, when people first rode on trains, some of them believed that the trees and the countryside were moving and that the train was standing still. It is the same with you now. Your mind is making you believe that you are not moving towards Self-realisation.”

Sri Swami mentions that in the years that followed he had many other spiritual talks with Sri Bhagwan, but His basic MESSAGE never changed— DO SELF-ENQUIRY, STOP IDENTIFYING WITH THE BODY AND TRY TO BE AWARE OF THE SELF WHICH IS YOUR REAL NATURE. 
Sri Swami says that prior to these early conversations he used to spend several hours each day performing elaborate pujas and anushtanas.
When Sri Swami asked whether he should continue with these, Sri Bhagwan replied, “YOU NEED NOT DO ANY OF THESE PUJAS ANY MORE. IF YOU PRACTICE SELF-ENQUIRY, THAT ALONE WILL BE ENOUGH.                       
                                                            Source: Living by the Words off Bhagwan

Dear devotees, Sri Bhagwan says, “If you give identifying with the body and meditate on the Self, which you already are, you can attain Self-realisation.”
We are the Self—Infinite Existence, Infinite Knowledge and Bliss Itself. But we identify the Self with the limited existence of the body-mind, relative knowledge and sensory pleasures respectively. Therefore, if now fed up with this ephemeral and transitory world which is full of miseries, we wish to revert to our Natural State of the True Being or wish to attain Self-realisation, what should we do? Where should we seek It, which is verily OUR OWN SELF? It makes a great sense when Sri Bhagwan teaches, “MEDITATE ON THE SELF WHICH YOU ALREDY ARE.”
We should do well to remember that there are no two selves. Self devoid of all attachments to the external world abides in Itself and that is the State of Self-realisation, “I Am”.

ULTIMATE GOAL THEREFORE IS TO MERELY BE, WITHOUT BEING THIS AND THAT, THAT IS, WITHOUT REFERENCE TO ONESELF, OR FOR THAT MATTER ANY OTHER THING, EVEN GOD. This is the state of mere being which is Itself Supreme love and Supreme Peace;   and the essence of ‘asi’, ‘asmi’, etc. –in other words MERE BEING OR TO BE—TRUE IMPORT OF ‘ASI’ IN MAHAVAKYA ‘TAT TVAM ASI’.  ONE REMAINS THE RADIANT AND THE EFFUGENT, AS MEARE AWARENESS, ABSORBED IN THE ESSENCE OF ONE’S OWN CORE OR TRUE BEING (UNBROKEN AWARENESS OF EXISTENCE). THAT IS SELF-ABIDANCE.

So, Sri Bhagwan teaches, ‘Meditate on the Self. You are already the Self. BE THE SELF. AND THAT IS THE BEGINNING OF THE END OF AJNANA ‘I AM THE BODY AND THE DOER’.

Pranam,
  Anil     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2065 on: August 11, 2012, 02:48:40 PM »
Dear Anil.

Yes. Stopping our identification with the body - is the most crucial step.  And this is the most difficult for most all of us.
Why? Because in thousands of births previously we have identified ourselves with the body (and the mind) and so it
is difficult to shake off that 'friendship'. Sri Bhagavan did it in less than  15 minutes. Thereafter, He was bodiless and egoless.

In Tamizh there is one proverb, pEyOdAyinum piRivathu aRithu - Even if one's friendship is with a ghost, such a friendship
is hard to shake off. Yes. We have been friendly with this body-ghost and mind-ghost and most of us are finding it difficult
to say 'ta ta' to this ghost.

Saint Arunagiri Nathar sings in one of his Tirupugazh: Yama is tired of killing me again and again. Brahma is tired of me in
giving  birth and birth. O Muruga, when shall I leave this cycle and give some rest to Yama and Brahma?

Arunachala Siva.         

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2066 on: August 12, 2012, 11:08:05 AM »
For whom is inside or outside? They can be only so long as there are the subject and object. For whom are these two? They both will resolve into subject only. See who is IN the subject. The investigation leads you to pure consciousness beyond the subject and the object.
                                                                                             Talk—42

When I, all of a sudden, began to proceed on the Path of Vichara and delved in some depth into Sri Bhagwan’s Teaching, following doubt assailed me:
Does not the ‘I’ disappear when the subject disappears thus? If that be so how can the quest of the ‘I’ proceed?
By His Grace, gradullay following understanding  and awareness ensued.

Subject as knower, thinker, hearer, etc., is only a mode of mind, a vritti, which will keep on appearing and disappearing. We will do well to remember that AN ‘I’ RISES FORTH WITH EVERY THOUGHT AND WITH ITS DISAPPEARANCE THAT ‘I’ DISAPPEARS ALSO. Therefore, in this way many ‘I’s are born and die every moment. Thus though the subject-I or the ego-I is a mental mode or a vritti which comes and passes but the True-I (Silence is True-I) does not and cannot cease. The Real ‘I’ is the Background, always lurking behind, in which all mind modes, centred on ‘subject-I vritti’, are arising and sinking.    Hence, rising and falling is the transient, broken, experience of ‘I’, whereas That which has neither origin nor end is the unbroken, permanent ‘I-I’ Consciousness.

It is for this reason that after describing the Self as the knower, thinker, hearer, etc., it is again described as non-knower, non-thinker, non-hearer, etc.
Dear sir, the problem is that we are not aware of ourselves unless modifications arise in the intellect. When we keep attention on ourselves, it becomes obvious that these modifications are transient; they rise and set? Does it not. So, intellect (vijnanamaya kosa) is only a sheath. UNBROKEN  ‘I’ IS ONE’S NATURAL STATE,REACHED AFTER THE SUBSIDENCE OF THOUGHTS. The unbroken ‘I’ is the Bliss. However if that bliss is transient—arising and setting—then only it is the sheath of bliss, not the Pure Self, not the unbroken ‘I’, that is ‘I-I’  Consciousness.

Dear sir, it follows therefore that everything is in us. Time, environment, objects—et al. They are ever changing but I am ever unchanging—always the same. Sri Bhawan says that objects are differentiable by means of their names and forms, but not the Self— not ‘I-I’ Consciousness—not the unbroken ‘I’, for everyone’s name is ‘I’ only.
Sri Bhagwan : Ask anyone, he says ‘I’ and speaks of himself as ‘I’, even if he is Isvara. His name is ‘I’ only.

DEAR SIR, ‘I’ IS DISTINGUISHABLE ONLY SO LONG AS THIS ‘I’ IS IDENTIFIED WITH THE BODY. ONLY THEN IT ATTACHES TO ITSELF A LOCALITY. BODY ITSELF NEVER ANOUNCES ITSELF AS ‘I’.
“CLEARLY ALL THESE ARE IN ME. All THESE WIPED OUT ENTIRELY, THE RESIDUAL PEACE IS ‘I’. THIS ‘I’ IS SAMADHI.”

Thanks very much, sir.
Pranam,
  Anil   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2067 on: August 12, 2012, 01:50:26 PM »
Dear Anil,

Very nice.

This is what Sri Bhagavan describes in Verses 28, 29 and 30 of Devi Kalottaram.

Arunachala Siva. 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2068 on: August 12, 2012, 04:23:07 PM »

Ji. Yes. Thank you so much, sir, for pointing out the Verses 28, 29, and 30 of the Devikalottara. These sublime Verses of Agama Sastras explain the highest Knowledge and the discipline to be followed to attain It.

The full Consciousness which is not other than the true import of the word ‘I’, and though being other than the erroneous conviction ‘I am this body’, it permeates all principles or tattvas. It is the all-pervading Reality.
                                  V. 28, Devikalottara

This complete wholeness pervades inside and outside all creations like ether, merging with them, and is itself formless. Dear, those who are submerged in this supreme bliss become that supreme bliss themselves. See, how wonderful!
                                  V. 29, Devikalottara

The expanding mind will attain peace, becoming still of its own accord, if it is deprived of something to hold on to, just as fire gets extinguished gradually if not fed with fuel.
                                   V. 30, Devokalottara

Dear sir, ji, yes, what was written in my last post is only an effort to contemplate on the essence of Sri Bhagwan’s Teaching.

The message of the above cited three Verses is the same:
IT MUST BE DEPRIVED BY NOT GIVING IT ANYTHING, OTHER THAN THE SOURCE OF ALL BLISS, THAT IS, ONESELF, TO HOLD ON TO. THEN IT WILL BECOME STILL OF ITS OWN ACCORD. THE EXPANDING MIND WILL ATTAIN PEACE AND LIBERATION. ONE BECOMES THE SUPREME BLISS ITSELF.

Pranam,
  Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2069 on: August 12, 2012, 05:11:12 PM »
Dear Anil,

Devi Kalottaram Jnana Vichara Patalam and Sarva Jnanottara Atma Sakshatkara Prakaranam are two wonderful works
translated by Sri Bhagavan in Tamizh verses from Sanskrit Agamas. These works are less popular, I would say, among
Sri Bhagavan's devotees. Only Arthur Osborne and Smt. Kanakammal have rendered it in English and one Sadhu Vasishta
Swamigal has done the first one it recently. The entire works are the pinnacle of Advaitam.  These are included in the
evening parayana on Wednesdays and Thursdays respectively.

Arunachala Siva.