Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 759046 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #2025 on: August 01, 2012, 03:46:18 PM »
Quote:
“Ego, mind or jiva is called uyir in Tamizh.  The One (god or guru) who removes the ego is called uyir uNNi, eater of the egos.
Sri Manikkavachagar has composed 10 verses in Tiruvachakam, under the head uyir uNNip pathu. Siva is an eater of egos.
He does not kill a devotee but kills only the ego.”

Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

Gi. Yes. This is quite apt. The Guru is indeed the uyir uNNi. Sri Bhagwan Himself has exhorted His devotees, time and again, to become food unto Him. Therefore, cleansing oneself, and becoming food unto Him, is the fulfilment of a human birth. Guru and God are the Mighty Impersonality. How petty personalities of the devotees can survive the piercing Gaze of Grace, emanating from the Mighty Impersonality who is the uyir uNNI?

I would have liked to savour and assimilate those ten Verses from the Tiruvachakam, which have been composed by the great Sage and Saint Sri Mankkavachagar, under the heading ‘uyir uNNi pathu’. I also do not have a copy of Arunachala Padigam. Kindly tell something about this Compsition.

Thanks very much, sir.

Pranam,
  Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2026 on: August 01, 2012, 04:12:12 PM »
Dear Anil,

1. Arunachala Padigam is one of the five songs of Arunachala Stuti Panchakam. In official website of Sri Ramanasramam, it is available
in Tamizh. But English version  (anglicized version) may be available in Sri Ramanasramam book depot.

2. Tiruvachakam, again is available in Tamizh version in the website www.Shaivam.org. The English version is available as a book
titled Pathway to God by Prof. Vanmika Nathan. It may be available in bookstalls near the Big Temple in Tiruvannamalai or in
Chennai.

Arunachala Siva.     

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2027 on: August 01, 2012, 05:14:50 PM »

Thanks very much, sir.
Sri Arunachala Ramana permitting, I am all prepared to board Sanghmitra Expr. on 3rd August and will arrive in Bangalore on 5th August, alighting at K. R. Puram Railway Station. I have been allowed in Sri Ramnasramam, with family members, from the 10th of August onwards. 
However, the nature of my current assignment is such that I am not yet cent percent certain that I shall be able to make it this time for sure. Therefore, I am urging Sri Arunachala and praying to the Guru so that my chance to come to Father and the Mother is not jeopardised this time again. I request you and other members to kindly do the same for me.

Pranam,
  Anil 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2028 on: August 01, 2012, 06:10:57 PM »
Dear Anil,

I wish you a nice trip and good darshan in Tiruvannamalai, despite the power shortage and power grid problems that are
creating hell in northern states. Sri Bhagavan's Grace would take care of it.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2029 on: August 02, 2012, 10:28:08 AM »

Thanks very much, sir.

Pranam,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2030 on: August 02, 2012, 10:33:48 AM »
You say that you are always experiencing suffering. That is only your thoughts. Happiness alone exists. WHAT COMES AND GOES IS SUFFERING.
                                                                                           Sri Bhagwan

Dear Devotees,

Sri Bhagwan: It is good if suffering comes to the devotees. The dhobi (washerman), when washing clothes, beats them hard against a rock. But he does so only to remove the dirt from the clothes. Similarly, all sufferings are given for the sole purpose of purifying the mind of the devotee. If we are patient, happiness will follow.
Sri Bhawan says that everyone is getting happiness and suffering as a result of the karma which has been carried forward from previous births. So, what to do? Accepting both patiently and remaining in the Self, doing whatever actions one happens to be engaged in without seeking happiness or suffering in them, that alone is good.
But to remain in the Self one must have no desire for anything other than the Self, for all happiness ultimately comes from the Self. But the problem is that the most people are completely oblivious of this truth that all happiness comes from the Self alone. For if a great desire is fulfilled, mind dives and merges in the Self; and as a result, a little of bliss of the Self is experienced, albeit temporarily. In this way one concludes that the pursuit of desires is the only way to get an experience of happiness and peace.
But dear devotees, we are aware that this commonly accepted route to happiness ultimately leads, without fail, to tremendous frustration and awful suffering. We may occasionally experience a few brief moments of pleasure here and there, but for the rest of the time one will be experiencing only the pain of frustrated desires.  And of course there are desires, which don’t seem to produce any happiness at all, even when they get fulfilled.
Besides, it is futile to seek to repeat the pleasures again and again, for novelty soon wears off. We always think that with more effort on our part, and with more wealth, and with a little more self-indulgence, we can expand the short periods of happiness and lessen the length of the intervening periods when happiness is not experienced.   All these ingenious approaches devised by the ego-mind never works. But so long as there are strong desires in the mind, the mind cannot sink completely into the Self and therefore cannot experience the peace and happiness, that is, the Bliss of the Self. So, the mind may experience a little of peace when a great desire is suddenly fulfilled,  but since it cannot remain in the Self while it is full of desires and activities, it is certain to rise again after only a few seconds to pursue some other external goals.

Therefore, it follows that a mind full of desires experiences the bliss of the Self in a very diluted form. If one wants to experience the Bliss of the Self, as It is, and if one wants to experience that Bliss permanently, as it were, one will have to give all one’s desires and attachments. THERE IS SIMPLY NO OTHER WAY OUT. THE MIND CANNOT REST IN THE DEPTHS OF THE SELF QUEITLY UNTILL IT HAS LEARNT, BY HIS GRACE, TO IGNORE THE EVER NUDGING IMPULSES  TO SEEK SATISFACTION OF DESIRES AND DERIVE PLEASURES IN THE EXTERNAL SENSORY OBJECTS.

Pranam,
   Anil         

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2031 on: August 02, 2012, 01:45:53 PM »
Dear Anil,

God gives sufferings to the devotees only to set right our mind towards God or the Self. The example of dhobi beating
the cloth on the stone is only to remove the dirt and not to tear it off. This, told by Sri Bhagavan is from a beautiful
verse from Guhai Namasivaya.  It starts as nallarunai natha namai oRuthal....... I shall give you the full song and its
meaning  soon.

Arunachala Siva. 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2032 on: August 02, 2012, 05:14:17 PM »
Dear Anil,

I mentioned about Guhai Namasivayar's song regarding dhobi and our sufferings which we think are due to God.

The actual verse is as under. It comes under Arunagiri Malai, Verse 16:

nal aruNai nathar namai oRutthal nenjame
kolluhaikko pollak gunam pokkak - kallin
mazhukkuvan kooRaiku maRupatto vaNNAn
azhukku vangaike avan.

The meaning is: The good Lord Arunachala, if He punishes us and gives sufferings, O Mind, it is not for taking away our
lives.  It is only to remove our diabolic conduct (and evil ego).  Does a washerman hit the clothes to tear it off? No. He
does it only to remove the dirt.

Guhai Namasivaya must have lived about 300 years before Sri Bhagavan. He has composed totally 642 verses. Sri Bhagavan
Himself collected some of these from palm leaves in Virupaksha Cave and wrote them down in pencil. Now total verses of 642
are available and these have been published by Sri Ramanasramam recently. Only verses are given. No meanings. The Asramam
have also published 102 songs of Guru Namasivaya, another saint who lived around the same time.

The good news is: David Godman is on a project to translate them all in English. The book may come out in a few months.

Arunachala Siva.           

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2033 on: August 02, 2012, 06:50:43 PM »
Quote:
“nal aruNai nathar namai oRutthal nenjame”

I do not know what exactly does the quoted line above mean. But it does not matter. The very feel or the very sound that emanates from uttering it indicates that It is emanating from the depths within. 
I sometimes wonder at the richness of the Tamil Language. It is the Divine Language, Language of gods. For many, many great Sages and Saints have sung, composed and uttered divine and sublime songs of Jnana, Bhakti and Prema, and thus graced the Language.

That Sri Bhagwan Himself collected some of Sri Guhai Namasivayar’s sublime Verses from palm leaves in Virupaksha Cave and wrote them down is significant for His own devotees. I often heard such names as Sri Guhai Namasivayar and Guru Sri Namasvaya and others, and even sometimes chanced to come across some stray verses composed by them, but that is all I know about them. Therefore, Sri David Godman’s project is a good news indeed. I shall await his project to complete.   
Dear sir, all sufferings come to devotees for the sole purpose of purifying the minds of the devotees. Can Father really give suffering to His children?

Therefore, accepting both suffering and pleasures patiently and remaining in the Self, or in remebrance of the Guru's feet and doing whatever actions one happens to be engaged in without seeking happiness or suffering in them, that alone is wisdom.

Thanks very much, sir.

Pranam,
  Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2034 on: August 02, 2012, 07:41:49 PM »
Dear Anil,

nal = good
arunai = Arunachala
nathar = Lord of
namai = we
orutthal = punishing
kolluhaikko = is it to take our life?
kunam pokka - no; it is to remove our bad conducts and evil ego.

kallil = on the washing stone
mazhukkuvan = hits
kooraikku = for the clothes
vannan = washerman (In prose it should come first)
marupatto = is it for tearing them off?
azhukku = dirt
vangaikku = to remove
avan = he.

Guhai Namasivaya and Guru Namasivaya are great saint poets. Sri Bhagavan has mentioned them in a few conversations.
Both were in Arunachala.

David's project is a good one. It will be completed in a few months and the book in English rendering will come.

Arunachala Siva. 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2035 on: August 02, 2012, 07:59:42 PM »
Dear Anil,

See this beautiful verse, again of Guhai Namasivaya from Arunagiri Malai:

paRRi arunesar anbar pAvangal seithAlum
paRRathu avarai poi pAvangal - paRRiye
nittham maladi thanai neengmal kooduhinum
puthiran undAhathu pol.

Even if devotees of Arunachala, do sins (by mistake) such sins will not give them any karmas.
It is like, even if one has union with a barren woman without break daily, she can never get a child!

Arunachala Siva.     

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2036 on: August 03, 2012, 07:36:30 PM »
Quote:
“Even if devotees of Arunachala, do sins (by mistake) such sins will not give them any karmas.
It is like, even if one has union with a barren woman without break daily, she can never get a child!”

I am very sad though not suffering. My visit to Sri Ramanasramam didn’t materialise this time again. This is the second time I had to postpone my journey due to unavoidable circumstances. I had initially apprehended that I may not be allowed by the Flood Control Wing to leave head quarter. But I secured the leave despite the monsoon season rather easily. But on the eve of the departure, I got my waist twisted in a minor accident, and I am not able to sit and move comfortably right now. Even this post I am writing from the sleeping position. Since I had been preparing to set out despite acute pain in the waist, everybody started to warn that undertaking a 48-hours journey in this situation would be risky. So, ultimately I had to cancel the journey and the train reservation which I had booked about four months back. I shall also inform the Ashram of my inability to undertake the planned visit due to bruised waist.
Dear sir, much maligned ego tries to raise its ugly head and make me inconsolable. But firing one of the Brahmastras Sri Bhagwan has given us, I shall scorch and fry it further in the hot pan of Vichara.
I believe deeply that everything that is coming to me is from Sri Bhagwan Himself, for my own good, though I may not be aware. Therefore, as Sri Bhagwan has taught, remaining in the Self and doing whatever comes one’s way without seeking sorrows and pleasures in them, is alone the right thing to do. Understanding thus I now wish to plan anew my visit to Sri Ramanasramam some time in Oct-Now this year itself.

Thanks very much, sir.

Pranam,
  Anil   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2037 on: August 03, 2012, 07:49:52 PM »
Dear Anil,

Do not worry. Your back pain and the Flood Control Authorities Order have also come as per Sri Bhagavan's will. He will
definitely call you at the appropriate time. On the days (which you had proposed to visit Asramam and Big Temple),
visualize the situation as if you are there in the Asramam or Big Temple for some time. See the webcam photo of the Hill
and pray. Sri Bhagavan calls it as Hill Medicine (malai marundhu). The mere sight of the Hill though through webcam photo
would cure once you take the medicines given by the doctor. The Hill medicine will make the other medicines to work fast.

In fact, I had planned to visit on July 14-18. However, when I saw the notice from the Asramam that there is acute shortage
of water due to no rain, and requested the devotees to postpone it to end of August and thereafter, I postponed the visit
to Sep 10. No harm. All things happen due to Sri Bhagavan's Will. His Grace is ever there whether we are in Bangalore or
Patna.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2038 on: August 03, 2012, 08:08:52 PM »

Ji. Yes. Thanks very much, sir. I shall certainly do that.

Pranam,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #2039 on: August 04, 2012, 10:23:47 AM »
Reality is only one and that is the Self. All the rest are mere phenomena in It, of It and by It. The seer, the objects and the sight, all are the Self only.
                                     Sri Bhagwan

Dear devotees,

I am and it is a fact. Can I ever deny that I am not? Each one us is acquainted with the pure feeling of being, without the taint of ego and its thoughts, or  the sense or feeling of all-pervasiveness of pure awareness as discerned from the  soiled ‘I am so and so’ feeling, albeit hazily. Moreover, can we see or hear or sense, leaving that Awareness, the Self, the Presence, aside?
Therefore, we should not be surprised when Sri Bhagwan, to change our outlook, or to change the angel of our insight, teaches that it is wrong to think that I am not realised or I have not realised Him.
Dear devotees, Sri Bhagwan didn’t deny obstacles. The thought that ‘I am not realised or I have not realised Him’ is the obstacle. So, we must understand that it is only this thought which causes us to  believe, by force of habit, that we are nor realised, and instead we are this body— finite, wretched, frustrated and unhappy. 
SRI BHAGWAN: GIVE UP THAT THOUGHT AND REALISATION IS THERE.
No one of us can ever be without Shiva, for Shiva is Be-ing. Even now, He is ‘I, you , he she, it, etc.’ We even cannot say that by sadhana we will remove this thought and realise the Self sometime in the future. There is no question of time.
Sri Bhawan: If there be a moment of non-realisation, the question of realisation can arise. But as it is you cannot be without Him. HE IS ALREADY REALISED, EVER REALISED AND NEVER NON-REALISED.
So, our being is in Shiva and our being is because of Shiva. It is in this light that Sri Bhagwan teaches:
ENQUIRE ‘WHO AM I?’ SINK DEEP WITHIN AND ABIDE AS THE SELF. THAT IS SHIVA AS BE-ING.
If this teaching does not appeal to a devotee, he must at least recognise the Higher Power and the individual self as a mere tool of that Power. For whether we recognise that Power or not, the scheme of things will not alter. WE MUST ALSO REMEMBER THAT EVERYTHING IS AND EVERYTHING WILL MOVE AS ORDAINED. So, setting aside concern for perfection in work, if we unreservedly surrender recognising the Higher Power, work will go on unhampered, perfectly, as per divine plan. SO, ONLY THERE IS A CHANGE OF OUTLOOK.

A GREAT CLUE AND A GREAT ANALOGY:
Why should we bear a load on our head when we are travelling in a train. Isn’t the one who does so is a fool? THE TRAIN CARRIES US AND OUR LOAD WHETHER THAT LOAD IS ON OUR HEAD OR ON THE FLOOR OF THE TRAIN. Is it not? However is we insist on carrying the load on our head, dear devotees, we are straining ourselves rather unnecessarily and foolishly. OUR SENSE OF DOERSHIP IN THE WORLD IS NOT AT ALL DIFFERENT!
Therefore,
Enquire ‘Who am I?’Dive deep in the Heart and remain as the Self.
Or surrender to Him and abide by His will. Go where His Grace takes us.  Await His Pleasure. He knows best and when and how to do it. Leave everything entirely to Him. His is the burden. With deep love and faith in Him, one no longer has any cares. All one’s care are His. Such is surrender , such is bhakti.
We are conscious and therefore are Shiva. And there are only two ways, as described above, open to the aspirants and seekers, to erase the contrary, erroneous sense, feeling and thought that we are not.

Pranam,
  Anil