Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 755637 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #1920 on: June 24, 2012, 10:50:09 AM »
Dear Anil,

Yes. Sri Bhagavan prescribed different methods for purification of the mind to many. But to some, He directly prescribed Vichara.
When Kunju Swami expressed a desire to go to Kovilur Math to learn various lessons through Tamizh books on Vedanta,
Sri Bhagavan said: "Oho, you want to read Vedanta!  Thereafter you would desire to read about Siddhanta (Saiva
Siddhanta), then you will aspire for tarka sastra (logic), then for some other things. There is no end. What did I tell you?
You find out the source of ego through Vichara. All sastras are contained in it....."  Kunju Swami thereafter kept quite and did
not go anywhere to read anything.

Upadesa Undiyar says:

Verse 10:

Absorption in the heart of being,
Whence we sprang,
Is the path of action, of devotion,
Of union and of knowledge.

But unfortunately, we are not like Kunju Swami to keep quite. We keep on reading many many books. We keep on browsing
many many web pages in the internet. One day all this would also stop, with Sri Bhagavan's grace.

Arunachala Siva.       

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1921 on: June 25, 2012, 03:45:54 PM »
Bhagwan Padam

Primal Lord!
Lord who is the beautiful radiance that shines
 as ‘I-I’ within the Heart of devotees!
Lord who is the Self, beyond the reach
of the mind’s objective knowledge!
Lord who possesses justice rooted in grace!
Lord who stands, his feet firmly planted
in the Self-abidance of his followers!
Lord who remains as That which is [after all else is discarded]!
Noble Ramana whose play is to hold me in his loving embrace!
                                                                                   Padamalai

Let us fix our thoughts on Sadguru Ramana, who abides as the Self, that inner awareness ‘I-I’ that dwells as the grace of the supreme within the ‘I’ of my own heart, so that I obtain in full measure the blessing of divine silence, free from the deluded self-conceit that leads to pride and attachment.
                                                                                       Padamalai

Thank you,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1922 on: June 25, 2012, 03:56:57 PM »
Quote from Sri Subramanian Sir:
“But unfortunately, we are not like Kunju Swami to keep quite. We keep on reading many many books. We keep on browsing
many many web pages in the internet. One day all this would also stop, with Sri Bhagavan's grace.”

Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

Sri Bhagwan taught Sri Ganapati Muni, “Remain all the time steadfast in the Heart. God will determine the future for you and accomplish the work. What is too be done will be done at the proper time. Don’t worry. Abide in the Heart.”

Ji. Yes. One day certainly all this would stop, with Sri Bhagwan’s Grace, at the proper time. There may come a time in the course of sadhana when one feels despondent and dismayed due to apparent lack of progress. So, Grace is needed in a situation of helplessness. But Sri Bhagwan has taught that the Grace is not something which is present sometimes and absent on other occasions.

Sri Bhagwan’s every Utterance is a Teaching by Itself. For instance, what does the statement “Only if Kitty remembers Bhagwan, Bhagwan would remember her.” mean? It is only, in my view, to underline and emphasise the importance of ceaseless and steadfast effort and that the effort is imperative to be aware of the ever-present Grace. For, Grace and effort act and react on each other. There is no real Vichara without Grace, nor is Grace active for one who is without Vichara.

Dear sir, Sri Bhagwan has taught that the most important duty is to discover one’s True Nature. For, herein lies the key to the Supreme Bliss. However, since that Bliss is our very nature, all that is required is to remove the obstructions to our awareness of It. The veil which separates and denies us the knowledge of our Blissful Nature is incessant outward movement of the mind away from the Self. Even a single thought is distraction and a rise or movement away from the Self, that is, TRUE “I”.

Dear sir, there is no doubt whatever that the life is truly meaningful and joyous only if we tread the inward path, remembering all the time that our duty is to be, or to do Vichara and it is for SRI BHAGWAN OR THE INNER GURY OR THE SELF TO ACCOMPLISH THE REST. If one is truly sincere one finds that Bliss or Peace is not something which is found on reaching the Goal, BUT IS FELT ALL ALONG THE HOMEWARD OR THE HEARTWARD JOURNEY.

Thank you so much, sir.

Regards,
  Anil       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1923 on: June 25, 2012, 04:05:56 PM »
Dear Anil,

True. There will be some period during the sadhana where despondency would set it. This is called kashaya stithi. Major
Chadwick had this once and with Sri Bhagavan's gaze and grace, it vanished and it never again re-appeared. He describes
this, I think, in A Sadhu's Reminiscences.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1924 on: June 26, 2012, 04:29:34 PM »
Dear Devotees,

Self –enquiry, as taught by Sri Bhagwan is a gentle, compassionate as well as a holistic method. It is true that Sri Bhagwan never tried to wean away anyone of His devotees from the path to which he was naturally inclined, but nevertheless, He gently pointed out that in the end Self-enquiry is inescapable for Self-knowledge.

Recapitulating, attention is the key word on the Path of Enquiry. One’s attention is constantly brought to dwell and remain riveted on the ‘I’, the subject or the individual or the thinker. The ‘I’-thought is never alone. Thoughts arise in waves or clusters, the ‘I’-thought being the centre of each cluster. Therefore, the ‘I’-thought is company ridden. Other thoughts come and go in a ceaseless movement, based on the pre-dispositional pull of the past and on one’s idea of where pleasures and pains are located. So, other thoughts are parasitic in character, for they cannot survive unless nurtured and sustained by the ‘I’-thought. On the other hand, as we all are aware by now, by His Grace, that the ‘I’-thought has a locus-standi of its own, as it is not dependent on any other thought for its existence. Therefore, isolating the ‘I’-thought from the associated thoughts is of paramount importance and is thus half of the battle won. Self-enquiry serves precisely this purpose. It separates the ‘I’-thoughts from the associated thoughts, OR ONE MAY SAY THAT THE SELF-ENQUIRY SEPARATES THE THINKER FROM HIS THOUGHTS. When attention is thus riveted on the ‘I’-thought alone, associated thoughts start rushing in to get foothold though, this riveted attention stifles all conceptualisation. It is worth mention here that only when the attention wavers that the other myriad thoughts make surreptitious back-door entry. But even when they make back-door entry, their rein should not be allowed to last long and one immediately resorts to Vichara, ‘Who am I?’

Dear devotees, the grip or the strangle-hold of the associated thoughts would certainly weaken by repeated and focussed search-light being thrown on their root. Consequently, ‘I’-thought is separated from the associated thoughts and the mind turns within. This happens even more readily with growing inner awareness. THE MIND ITSELF BECOMES THE BRIDGE BACK TO ITS PERMANENT ABODE. Once the journey HOMEWARD commences, energies thus mobilised are harnessed by pushing in deeper and deeper by searching for the source of the ‘I’-thought.

Dear devotees, Sri Bhagwan has taught that one can make effort only up to a certain point only. Effort can be made only up to the point when the barriers of mental waves and clusters of thoughts are broken.     
THEN SRI BHAGWAN SAYS THAT THE SPIRITUAL HEART’S MAGNETIC PULL TAKES OVER AND THE ONE WHO BEGAN THE JOURNEY WOULD NOT BE THERE TO REPORT ABOUT IT.

Thank you,
   Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1925 on: June 26, 2012, 04:41:04 PM »
Dear Anil,

Very nice. The pull of the magnet is called AruL, Grace. Sri Bhagavan in several places mentioned about the significance of AruL -
Grace. The very first verse of Sri Arunachala Pancharatnam says: aruL niRaivAna amudhak kadale,.... karuna poorna sudhabhe.
Arunachala is an ocean of mercy. At the same time it is Jnana Suryan, the Sun of Wisdom. The sun of Wisdom will make the
heart-lotus bloom and also swallow the world. It is also Paramama, which helps one to dwell in the Heart Center.

Efforts are no doubt necessary. But at one stage, the aruL intervenes and does the rest of the work.

Sri Bhagavan clarified once:

Self Inquiry alone will not do.
Self Inquiry with aruL, grace of Atma can do the work.
Very rarely, mere Grace would do, no need for Self Inquiry at all.

Thus Grace operates in different ways.

Saint Manikkavachagar says: What tapas did I do? I merely chanted Sivaya Namah |. He came and took charge of
my Heart. He is sweeter than honey and nectar.  He came on His own so that I shall leave my flesh covered body and
attain Him.

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1926 on: June 26, 2012, 05:49:22 PM »
Dear Anil,

What sadhana did Cow Lakshmi do? It only showed tremendous love and affection to Sri Bhagavan. Her predispositions
(vasnas) were very little. Some mountain variety plantains to eat. That is all. But Sri Bhagavan's Grace was full towards her.
(on 30 June 2012 is Cow Lakshmi's Day. Some of you can write about Cow Lakshmi.

Sri Bhagavan says in Navamani Maalai Verse 3:

O Annamalai, you have taken my soul and body,
Even at the moment when you had taken over me.
What inadequacy have I got?
All inadequacies and merits is only (from) You.
I shall not think about them, O my soul of my soul,
Do whatever you deem fit for me!
O my Eye, please give towards your anklet wearing feet,
Abundant, gushing  love for me!

Arunachala Siva.   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1927 on: June 27, 2012, 04:47:19 PM »
“What sadhana did Cow Lakshmi do? It only showed tremendous love and affection to Sri Bhagavan. Her predispositions
(vasnas) were very little. Some mountain variety plantains to eat. That is all. But Sri Bhagavan's Grace was full towards her.
(on 30 June 2012 is Cow Lakshmi's Day. Some of you can write about Cow Lakshmi.”

Sri David Godman writes in the Power of the Presence that no book about devotees of Sri Bhagwan would be complete without Lakshmi since she was one of only two devotees whose Enlightenment was publicly confirmed by Sri Bhagwan. The other was His Mother.
The Mother Cow Lakshmi, the Shakuntala of Sri Ramanasramam (the adopted daughter of the Ashram), was an advanced soul. There should be no doubt about that.

“Turning to the other devotees with a smile, He asked, ‘Do you know what state Lakshmi is in now?’ When no answer was forthcoming, He astonished us by saying, ‘She is in nirvikalpa Samadhi,’ thus revealing the extraordinary power of His Grace and the spiritual maturity of Lakshmi.” (Source: Power of the Presence, Part Three)

Dear sir, She must have performed great tapas in Her previous births. Sri Bhagwan says, ‘It may be that she is living in our midst now only to complete Her unfinished Tapas. Sri David Godman observes that Sri Bhawan did not give Lakshmi special treatment because He regarded Her as a favourite pet. He allowed Her the freedom of the Ashram because he recognised that She was a highly advanced devotee who had taken the form of a cow in order to be with Him.
Special bond between Sri Bhagwan and Mother Lakshmi cannot be denied. Many devotees of Sri Bhagwan believed and still believe that the Mother Cow Lakshmi was none other than the old devotee Smt Keeraipatti. Devotees believed and still believe that the great devotion of Smt Keeraipatti was the cause of her return in this humble guise to work out Her remaining karma at the Feet of Sri Bhagwan.

“Lakshmi’s great devotion and the possessive way in which she would always approach Bhagwan, along with the great kindness and attention he showered her, convinced many of the devotees that there was some special bond between them.”

For instance, even when She trespassed, Sri Bhagwan objected to her being scolded or roughly treated.
“You must fence your plot better. The fault is there and not with Lakshmi,” He says.
Dear sir, ji. Yes. MOTHER COW LAKSHMI IS THE QUINTESSENCE OF GREAT DEVOTION AND COMPLETE SURRENDER.
Thank you so much, sir.

Regards,
  Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1928 on: June 27, 2012, 05:10:55 PM »
Dear Anil,

It is very rare either for Siva or a Brahma Jnani to confer liberation of non human living beings like cows, birds. plants, etc.,

Sri Bhagavan did that not only for Cow Lakshmi, but for Valli the deer, Jackie the dog and a crow.

Umapati Sivam gave liberation to a thorn bush. This thorn bush had grown on the outer walls of the temple in Chidambaram
and already it has gained some maturity by sucking the milk (abhishekam) that was coming out through a hole after oblations
to Siva. Umapati Sivam poured some water drops from his kamandalu, saying Nama Sivaya and the thorn bush got fire and burnt.
The king and others did not believe this. Umapati Sivam took the king to Chidambaram Nataraja next morning and he found, when
the screen was opened, the thorn bush was on the side of Nataraja!

Similarly, an elephant got mukti in Tiruvanaikaval Siva temple. An ant got mukti in Erumbiyur Siva temple. A plantain tree
got mukti in a temple of Siva called tirupainjneeli.

Arunachala Siva.   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1929 on: June 28, 2012, 11:31:18 AM »
“It is very rare either for Siva or a Brahma Jnani to confer liberation of non human living beings like cows, birds. plants, etc.”

Although Sri Bhagwan has said that is not true that birth as a man is necessarily the highest, and that one must attain Realisation only from being a man, and that even an animal can attain Self-Realisation, it is very rare indeed. We cannot truly understand all these things in the present state of ignorance. Ji. Yes. Sri Bhagwan Himself has given a detailed narration of the story from Chidambara Mahatmayan in which it is stated that a great saint gave Liberation to even a thorn bush! It appears hearsay, but I do not doubt the truth of this statement. Existence of tombs of a deer, a crow and a dog are the ample testimony of the Power of the Grace of Sri Bhagwan and the spiritual maturity of these some of few non-human jivas who are said to have come to Sri Bhagwan to work out their karmas. I have read that the white peacock who was donated by the queen of Baroda to Sri Bhagwan also behaved like an advanced devotee and even sometimes Sri Bhagwan addressed it by the name ‘Madhava’. As a result many devotees believed that Sri Madhava Swami who was one of the long-serving attendants of Sri Bhagwan had indeed been born as the white peacock. What can we say? What knowledge do we have?

I here quote from the Power of the Presence, Part Three, to only show that these things really belong to the realm of mysticism about which we are not yet competent to make any comment whatever.

“Bhagwan was reading a newspaper at the time. Lakshmi came near him and started licking the papers.
Bhagwan looked up and said, ‘Wait a little, Lakshmi,’ but Lakshmi went on licking.
Bhagwan laid his paper aside, put his hands behind Lakshmi’s horns and rested his head against hers. They stayed like this for quite a long time. I stood nearby looking at the wonderful scene.
After about ten minutes, Bhagwan turned to me and said, ‘Do you know what Lakshmi is doing? She is in Samadhi.
I looked at her and noticed that tears were flowing in streams down her broad cheeks. Her breathing had stopped and her eyes were fixed on Bhagwan.
After some time Bhagwan changed his position and asked, gently, ‘Lakshmi, how do you feel now?’
Lakshmi moved backward, as if reluctant to turn her tail towards Bhagwan, walked round the hall and went out.
Four days later Lakshmi gave birth to a calf. The man with whom Lakshmi used to stay brought her with her progeny and left them in the Ashram for good. Lakshmi, with her three calves, came into the hall and lay down by the sofa.
Bhagwan saw her and remarked, ‘All these days Lakshmi had to go in the evening to the town. She always left in tears. Today she is delighted because she need not go anymore. She knows that her home is here now. We shall have to look after her. Look at her! With what self-assurance she has stretched herself out!”

WHO CAN FATHOM?

Thank you so much, sir.

Regards,
   Anil       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1930 on: June 28, 2012, 12:53:46 PM »
Dear Anil,

Sri Bhagavan used to address even animals with respect. The monkeys, cows and dogs squirrels were addressed
either in the gender form (masculine of  feminine), avaL (feminine), avan (masculine) ennamma?, what? to a feminine gender
etc., Because He was seeing their Atma within (though Atma has no gender) and so He wanted to address them at least
as one does in the case of  human beings.

Cow Lakshmi had no predispositions (vasanas) to work out. So Sri Bhagavan did not stay with her till the end. I think
Suri Nagamma was asked to stay with her. Sri Bhagavan later said: She had no vasanas left out. So there was no need
for keeping my hands on her chest and head till the end. Of course, He had kept His hands on her chest and head for some
time before the final end. The final deliverance was witnessed only by Suri Nagamma.

I was in the Asramam during one year when Cow Lakshmi's Deliverance day came. In the morning around 7 am, the statue was
adorned with a new sari, with application of turmeric and placing of rice and plantains before her. The function was held around
7.30 am on that morning.

Arunachala Siva.           

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1931 on: June 29, 2012, 10:28:48 AM »
Dear Devotees,

Sri Annamalai Swami was a realised person and therefore was a Divine Being. Following conversation with Him contains, in my view, many invaluable tips:

Q: Is it better to meditate like this alone, or is there some advantage in meditating with other people?
Sri Annamalai Sawmi: If seekers are always in the company of worldly people who take the mind and body to be ‘I’, they will get affected by their mind currents. SELF-IGNORANCE CAN BE CONTAGIOUS. Don’t associate with worldly people. Either do meditation alone or do it with people who are also striving to give up their mental attachments.
Q: I think that this is very helpful advice. But in the west it is very difficult to practice with other like-minded people. Spiritual people are few and far between.
Sri Annamalai Sawmi: What you may say may be true. If you make your meditation strong and constant, no one can disturb it. IF IT IS YOUR DESTINY TO LIVE WITH UNSPIRITUAL PEOPLE, OUTWARDLY WE SHOULD ACT JUST AS THEY DO. BUT INWARDLY, OUR ATTENTION SHOULD FLOW TOWARDS THE SELF.
Q: This practice you speak of is a totally new way of living.
Sri Annamalai Swami: This is the real life. All other lives are maya. Don’t take the maya life to be real. Saint Mankkavachagar once said: ‘Lord Siva gave me the boon of not being able to give reality to this maya life.’
Q: We are so accustomed to maya. That is why it is difficult for us to make progress.
Sri Annamalai Swami: Again, enquire, ‘For whom is this difficulty?’ Don’t give reality to the very thing that is causing you all your trouble.
Q: Do we have no other function in the world other than discovering our own Self? Is it not our duty to show a little love and compassion to other people?
Sri Annamalai Swami: If you discover yourself you will be able to give love and compassion to the whole world. It will flow automatically from you. The sun is full of light which it gives to the world without any partiality. If you become full of spiritual light by realising the Self, that light overflows everywhere. That overflowing of your Self is love and compassion for the whole universe. One may try to do some good to others but not much real good will result unless you know yourself. How can a blind man help other people?
Q: I can understand what you say: that we are not the body and the mind, and that this has to be experienced more and more. But we have to take care of this body and this mind. Also, we must do something in the world. We cannot just sit and meditate all the time. If we do that we will be burden on others.
Sri Annamalai Swami: We must take care of the body by giving it food, shelter and clothing. This is necessary because the journey to the Self is only easy when the body is healthy. If a ship is not in need of repair, if it is in good condition, we can easily use it to go on a journey. But we should not forget the purpose for which we have been given this body. We should not get side-tracked by thinking too much about good health or worrying about other people’s problems. Our purpose in life is to realise the Self. It is an easy matter to get a little food and find somewhere congenial to live and meditate. Once we have achieved this we should have no further interest in the world and its problems.
                                       Source: Living By The Words Of Bhagwan   

Thank you,
   Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1932 on: June 29, 2012, 07:46:28 PM »
Dear Anil,

Yes deha abhimanam, taking care of the body should be kept just below our Self Awareness so long as we live in this world.
Sri Bhagavan was also applying oil for His rheumatic legs, underwent all treatments that devotees prescribed, but His Awareness
was far above the deha abhimanam.

Arunachala Siva.   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: June 30, 2012, 03:15:36 PM »
“Sri Bhagavan was also applying oil for His rheumatic legs, underwent all treatments that devotees prescribed, but His Awareness was far above the deha abhimanam.”

Ji. Yes. Sri Bhagwan is the Self of all that is. He is the only Illumination. And we do not require any testimony. However, following excerpt from ‘The Power Of The Presence, Part Three’ depicts what it is like to be completely indifferent to the physical agony and suffering.

Sri Natesa Iyer, one of the kitchen workers, to Sri Swami Ramananda, ‘Did I tell you about the time I watched Bhagwan have His operation?’ It was by far his (Sri Iyer’s) favourite story. He never tired of telling it, nor did he ever make any apologies for repeating it so many times. I must have heard it at least hundred times.
‘I was Sri Bhagwan’s attendant,’ he would say, ‘when He had one of His cancer operations. In those few hours I understood directly what Sri Bhagwan meant when He said, “I am not the body”. His behaviour throughout the operation showed very clearly that the body was just something that He was wearing. The flesh was being cut, blood was flowing, and I could see the radium needles that had been inserted into the flesh around the cancer. Sri Bhawan was fully conscious but utterly indifferent to the procedures that were being carried out on his arm. I was told afterwards that we were in the room with Him for 2.30 to 3.0 hours, but while we were with Him there was no awareness whatsoever of the passage of time. We were all consumed by the power of Sri Bhagwan’s Silence. Even the doctors were sucked into it. When the operation had been completed, the doctors spontaneously prostrated to Sri Bhagwan.
‘One of them said, ”I have operated on many people, but I have never had an experience like this. There is a peace in this room that I have never felt anywhere else. I cannot describe what it was like except to say that it was unlike anything I have ever experienced before.’”
‘I think the doctor spoke for us all. Sri Bhagwan, abiding untroubled and unconcerned in His natural state of Silence, gave us all an immense blessing while He was being cut open by the medical team. It was an awesome display of Power and Grace that left me in tears.’   
‘After an operation like this, one would expect a patient to want quiet and rest, but Sri Bhagwan showed complete indifference to His body and to the advice of His medical team. Overruling the doctors and the ashram management, He announced that He wanted to give darshan to all the devotees who were waiting anxiously outside. As the people filed past Him one by one, Sri Bhagwan made enquiries about the health and wellbeing of the devotees, but refused to talk about His own physical state. If people asked about His operation and the state of His health, He would smile but not give any answer.’
                           Source: The Power of The presence, Part Three

Dear sir, I remember having read somewhere that Sri Bhagwan once remarked that the purpose of His Advent on the earth is to give Darshan. Therefore, if Darshan is the Divine Purpose, can the physical state of health and physical suffering could have ever prevented Him from fulfilling that Purpose.

Thank you so much, sir.

Regards,
  Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1934 on: June 30, 2012, 07:57:52 PM »
Dear Anil,

Yes. This advent of Sri Bhagavan was only grace the people and not punish them. Even Perumal Swami was graced and not
punished. When Perumal became a pauper and very sick, Sri Bhagavan told the people to send some kanji (gruel) to where
he was staying.

When some devotees asked Sri Bhagavan, why He could not take action against some erring devotees, Sri Bhagavan said:

I have come here to grace the people. If I start punishing then not even a crow would fly over the Asramam.

Arunachala Siva.