Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 757790 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #1905 on: June 19, 2012, 03:50:31 PM »
Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

Ji. Yes. Thank you so much, sir. Regarding theories of creation, there are three methods of approach in Advaita vada.
1.   Ajata Vada: Represented by no loss, no creation, no one bound, no one desirous of liberation, no liberation. THIS IS THE SUPREME TRUTH.
According to this theory there is only ONE or the Supreme Self and it admits of no discussion whatever.

2.   Drishti Srishti Vada: Represented by simultaneous creation.
Example: Two friends are sleeping side by side. One of them dreams that that he goes to New Delhi with his friend and returns. He says to his friend that they both had been in New Delhi. The other denies it. The statement is true from the standpoint of one and denial from that of the other.

3.           Srishti Drishti Vada: Represented by gradual creation and knowledge of it.

Dear sir, Sri Bhagwan says that there is no finality about the logical or scientific explanation of the creation. Such explanation is obviously Srishti Drishti Vada (gradual creation). On the contrary, Drishti Srishti Vada is the simultaneous or sudden creation.

“There may be any number of theories of creation. All of them extend outwardly. There will be no limit to them because time and space are unlimited. They are however only in the mind. See the mind; time and space are transcended and the Self is realised.”

Sri Bhagwan teaches that no objects can be seen without the seer.

Sri Bhagwan:
“Find the seer and the creation is comprised in him. Why look outward and go on explaining the phenomena which are endless?”

Regards,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: June 19, 2012, 07:46:31 PM »
Quote from Sri Subramanian Sir:
“In one of the letters he says: "Bhagavan approves my Srishti-Drishti Vada and I am happy,
by interpreting (misinterpreting) one of the verses of Ulladu Narpadu!

Sri Bhagavan laughed at this letter and said: See Maya deludes even highly learned people!”

I still find it little difficult to accept that the great ‘tapasvi’ and devotee that he was, Sri Ganapati Muni who gave Sri Bhagwan the name ‘Bhagwan Sri Ramana’ really believed that Sri Bhagwan has approved his Srishti Drishti Vada or the ‘theory of gradual creation.’ 
So, Sri Bhagwan teaches that maya deludes even the learned people.

Thank you so much, sir.

Regards,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1907 on: June 20, 2012, 09:02:49 AM »
The revelation of grace, which does not shine when viewed through suttarivu, shines when that suttarivu perishes. ‘When I stare hard at my beloved, she looks at the ground, but when I do not look at her, she looks at me and smiles gently.’
                                                                     V. 646, GVK, Edited by Sri D.Godman

Dear Devotees,

The last two lines of the cited Verse above are a quotation of the V. 1094 of Tirukkural.
‘When I look at her, the new bride will only look down towards the ground, but when I do not look at her, will lovingly look at me and mildly smile within with joy.’
This is very sublime, unusual and wonderful way of comparing the Self to the beloved or the bride and ego to the lover or the bridegroom. Meaning is obvious enough. When one seeks to know the Self as an object through the extroverted mind, it will not be revealed. “But when I do not look at her, she lovingly looks at me and smiles gently” means that since the cessation of extroversion to the external world is itself introversion to the Self, Self will automatically shine forth when extroversion ceases.

In the next verse it is stated:
“If you remain still, without paying attention to this, without paying attention to that, and without paying to anything at all, you will, simply through powerful attention to being, become the reality, the vast eye, the unbounded space of consciousness.”
                                                    V. 647, GVK, Edited by Sri D. Godman

Sri Muruganar describes the above as the state of remaining still, eliminating suttarivu or the objective consciousness.

Therefore, dear devotees, in my view, this is the acme of all spiritual practices:
DO NOT LOOK AT THIS. DO NOT LOOK AT THAT. IF WE, THUS, SIMPLY REMAIN WITHOUT LOOKING AT ANYTHING, THEN BY THAT POWERFUL LOOK AT OUR OWN BEING, THAT IS, BY THAT POWERFUL ATTENTION TO THE SELF,’I AM’, WE OURSELVES ARE THE SUPREME REALITY WHICH HAS THE OUTLOOK OF THE UNLIMITED SPACE OF CONSCIOUSNESS.

Dear Devotees, Sri Bhagwan has taught that when the ‘I’-thought does not arise, and I, as pure being, unite with Him, He remains merged with me, and I myself shine as my very own fullness. HOWEVER, THE VERY MOENT I RAISE MY HEAD AS THE THINKING ‘I’, TO PERCEIVE HIS ANCIENT FORM OR TO BE SEEN AS AN OBJECT BY THE EGO, HE SEES MY ODDNESS, SCORNS ME, AND CONCEALS HIMSELF FROM ME OR SHE LOOKS AT THE GROUND.

Thank you,
   Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1908 on: June 20, 2012, 01:06:35 PM »
Dear Anil,

Once a devotee asked Sri Bhagavan: Should I not be patriotic?

Sri Bhagavan replied: You need not be this and that. Be as you are!

Again one Western devotee asked Sri Bhagavan: Should I leave all my possessions?

Sri Bhagavan replied: The possessor too!

Arunachala Siva.   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1909 on: June 21, 2012, 11:09:26 AM »
”Again one Western devotee asked Sri Bhagavan: Should I leave all my possessions?

Sri Bhagavan replied: The possessor too!

Arunachala Siva.”

Merely saying that one has surrendered one’s possession, one’s body, mind and heart, et al is not enough.
Sri Bhagwan: Everyone says he has surrendered everything to me. These people walk out, thinking that their business is over and that their entire burden is now on me. I am not so easily deluded by mere words.     
Sri Bhagwan taught to seek to first do away with the possessor, the ego. Even to the one who is socially minded, Sri Bhagwan is unsparing.
D. What I would like to do is to go around the world and set things right. I came to ask you for strength and the power to do this work.
Sri Bhagwan : You are like a starving beggar offering a feast to all comers. How can a man who cannot help himself help anybody? First set yourself right and then only set out to improve others. Change the hearts of men and the world will surely change. But one must begin somewhere, and one can begin only with oneself.

Dear sir, ONE CAN BEGIN ONLY WITH ONESELF. WHO IS HE?

Thank you so much, sir.

Regards,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1910 on: June 21, 2012, 11:14:13 AM »
“Padam is the consciousness, the Self that shines in the Heart as the motionless magnetic mountain.”
                                                                                 Padamalai
“The Heart is the holy sanctum sanctorum in which Padam resides. Those with deceptive minds cannot bow down and see it.”
                                                                                Padamalai

Dear Devotees,

Here is a beautiful excerpt from ‘The Power of the Presence, Part Three’, (narrated by Sri G. V. Subbaramayya):

Another visitor, Mr Duncan Greenlees, said, ‘Bhagwan, while we are here in your presence, a certain halo of purity and peace seems to surround us. It continues for some time after we leave. Then it disappears and the old stupidities return. Why is this so?’
Sri Bhagwan replied, ‘It is all the work of the mind. Like a battery, it wears out and has to be recharged. But when mind control is perfect, there will be no further trouble.’
Someone else asked, ‘What is meant by saying that the world is false?’
Sri Bhagwan paradoxically answered, ‘It means that the world is real,’ and by way of an explanation he quoted a Sanskrit verse that says, ‘The world seen as world through ignorance is false, but the same world seen as Brahman through knowledge is real.’
Sri Bhagwan enjoyed paradoxes such as these. On another occasion I heard him turn the conventional meaning of MAHASUNYA , the great non-being on its head.
‘Grammatically, said Sri Bhagwan, ‘This world can also be resolved into MAHA ASUNYA, which means “THE GREAT BEING”.’
In the years that followed I always attempted to go to Sri Ramanasramam for Sri Bhagwan’s Jayanti celebrations, but there were a few occasions when personal and family problems made it impossible. One year Devaraja Mudaliar gently admonished me in Sri Bhagwan’s presence for failing to attend the previous Jayanti celebration.
He concluded by saying, ‘I believe that Sri Bhagwan expects us, his children, to gather at his feet especially on such occasions.’
SRI BHAGWAN SMILED AT THIS REMARK, TURNED TO ME AND SAID, ‘THE FEET OF BHAGWAN ARE EVERYWHERE. SO WHERE CAN WE GATHER EXCEPT AT HIS FEET? TIME AND SPACE ARE NO BARRIERS TO THE GATHERING OF HEARTS.’
                                                         Source: The Power of the Presence, Part Three

Dear devotees, time and space are no barriers to the gathering of our hearts at His Feet even here and now. Sri Muruganar sings in Padamalai that Padam’s Abode is the Heart that shines, pervading the whole world with its Light. His Feet are everywhere. HE IS THE PRESENCE. Therefore, where will we, His devotees, gather except at His feet? 

Thank you,
    Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1911 on: June 21, 2012, 11:31:56 AM »
Dear Anil,

I also feel the same way. After visit to the Asramam, the mind is calm for a few days and then it starts acting like a monkey.
This needs to be further trained to become totally ineffective or at least to remain ever pure.

Arunachala Siva. 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1912 on: June 21, 2012, 04:29:02 PM »
Sri Bhagwan replied, ‘It is all the work of the mind. Like a battery, it wears out and has to be recharged. But when mind control is perfect, there will be no further trouble.’

I live about 3000 K.M. away from Sri Ramanasramam and therefore cannot afford to visit the Ashram several times in a year. I planned to visit this year in the first week of May. I even booked my railway ticket and accommodation in the Ashram. But due to public duty, it almost became impossible. And I had to cancel the journey to the Home of my Father and Mother on account of unavoidable circumstances. However, again I have planned to visit the Ashram, with my family, in the first week of August this year, and I have booked my railway ticket and even accommodation in Sri Ramanasramam.. Dear sir, even this time, His Grace alone can take me to Him, for again I have been assigned with emergency duty in the flood control wing of the govt. of Bihar, from 15 th June to 31 st October. I do not know what I should do.

Dear sir, having said as above, I wish to add that Sri Bhagwan has taught us that this place and that place and all places are verily within us. Sri Bhagwan Himself abides in the Heart.   

Therefore, ji, yes, we need to recharge our spiritual battery again and again by visiting Sri Ramanasramam. However if one is not able to do so, one need not be despondent and dismayed. All one need is to invoke His Presence who is ever abiding in one’s Heart, and, lo, He is there without fail. Will the mind fail to recharge then, purify then? Can it remain agitated then?  So, when the mind wears out, meaning that when it again starts seeking worldly pleasures, and wanders to sense objects, one must invoke His Presence in the Heart and at once resort to Vichara. Halo of purity and peace is certain to surround us. There is no doubt about that.

Sri Bhagwan assures that when the mind control is perfect, there is no need of its recharge, and one is at peace with Oneself for ever.

Thank you so much, sir.

Regards,
   Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1913 on: June 22, 2012, 03:07:32 PM »
Self alone is real eye. Therefore Self, which is known by itself, alone is the direct knowledge. But insentient people (non-Self ego), who do not have Self’s sight, claim the knowledge of alien sense-objects to be direct knowledge.
                                                             V. 878, GVK, Tr. and comm. Sri Sadhu Om

Can the appearance of the triads be possible in the view of Self, which exists and shines as the [one] unlimited eye [of pure consciousness]? All other objects in front of It will be found to be Self alone, having been burnt by the powerful look of the eye of jnanagni [the fire of Jnana].
                                                              V. 879, GVK, Tr. and comm. Sri Sadhu Om

Dear Devotees,

Sri Sadhu Om comments that the Self, the knowledge of one’s own existence, is a more real and more direct knowledge than the knowledge of any alien object. Sri Om comments that it is only after there is the first knowledge ‘I am’ that the knowledge ‘the world and all else exist’ can come into being, and hence no knowledge except ‘I am’ can be direct knowledge. Self is the direct knowledge—ALWAYS.

There must be the seer before anything could be seen. Sri Bhagwan teaches, “YOU ARE YOURSELF THE EYE THAT SEES. YET, YOU SAY YOU DON’T KNOW THE EYE THAT SEES, BUT KNOW ONLY THE THINGS SEEN.”
The Self is the only Eye, nay, the Infinite Eye, as Sri Bhagwan has taught in V.4 of the Ulladu Narpadu.

Dear devotees, I ask from you, “Is ‘I’ directly perceived or not?”
Sri Bhagwan says that one gets confused if thus asked. Why does one get confused? BECAUSE ‘I’ DOES NOT ANNOUNCE ITSELF AS AN OBJECT IN FRONT, and only the perception with the senses can be recognised by one as the knowledge, appearing in front. This habit is strong.

BEING ALONE IS ‘I’, THE SELF. The world and the myriad objects in it are alien to the Self, and are therefore merely CONCEPTS. The world and its objects are illusory and wholly mental. We must therefore understand that they, CONTRARY TO GENERAL PERCEPTION, are not real, and are not directly known by US who really are the Self and whose form is consciousness and not NON-SELF EGO.

From the above discussion it follows that what is obvious, self-evident and MOST IMMEDIATE to us, THE SELF, we say that we are not able to see. On the contrary, we say that what we see with these insentient, physical eyes alone is direct perception !

Sri Bhagwan cites a stanza from Thevaram, which says:
“O sages, eager to get over all misery, worry not about inferences and examples! Our Light is ever shining forth from within! With mind clear, live in God! THIS IS THE DIRECT PERCEPTION.

Thank you,
  Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1914 on: June 22, 2012, 03:52:21 PM »
Dear Anil,

Yes. Sri Bhagavan also confirms in Verse 14 of Ulladu Narpadu, the same idea:

'You' and 'he' -- these appear only when 'I' does.  But when the nature of the 'I' is sought and the ego is destroyed, 'You'
and 'he' are at an end. What shines forth as the One alone is the true Self.

What are the things that the mind/ego creates?

1. munilai and padarkai - you and he or she or it.

2. past and future - When only the present, NOW is true, ego creates the other two.

3. time and space. Since we are caught up as bodies, there is time and space. We exist, timeless and spaceless.

4. The ego also creates the debate of fate and free will. Those who have known the Self the common source of free will and
fate, have passed beyond them both and will not return to them.

Arunachala Siva.     

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1915 on: June 23, 2012, 07:03:01 AM »
“Yes. Sri Bhagavan also confirms in Verse 14 of Ulladu Narpadu, the same idea:

'You' and 'he' -- these appear only when 'I' does.  But when the nature of the 'I' is sought and the ego is destroyed, 'You'
and 'he' are at an end. What shines forth as the One alone is the true Self.”

Nice. Once you very appropriately remarked that the ULLadu Narpadu is the Scripture of the Atma-vichara. In the Verse nine to sixteen of this Scripture, only different dyads and triads have been dealt with. Verse nine shows that dyads or triads, they all always subsist on the basis of the ONE, that is, the Self. In Verses ten to thirteen, one of the dyads, consisting of knowledge and ignorance was examined and concluded that the Self alone is their basis. In the Verse fourteen, the triad consisting of persons, first, second and third person, is examined and shown that Self is the basis thereof. In the Verse fifteen, another triad consisting of times, past, present and future, is examined and shown that ‘eternal now’ is the basis thereof. That the time is transcended in the timeless and timeless is the basis of the time. In Verse sixteen, space is added to the time, for space and time go together and it shown that both entities are mere concepts and therefore illusory.

Dear sir, in the verse 14 of the ULLadu narpadu, Sri Bhagwan teaches that out of the triad of persons, first, second and the third, the first person referred to as ‘I’ is the ego. And it is as contrasted with the ego ‘I’ that other persons, such as ‘you’, ‘he’, ‘she’, or ‘it’ are characterised. Obviously, no relation is possible without the ego ‘I’. The ego ‘I’ is the basis of the matrix of all relations. All plurality whatever arises out of this ego ‘I’ alone. If the plurality is to cease, the ego ‘I’ must cease first. The one infallible way to the cessation of the ego ‘I’, as taught by Sri Bhagwan is the enquiry into the Source of this very ‘I’.

Apprehension, that if the ego ‘I’ along with plurality goes away, nothing will remain resulting in vacuum, or one may even become an idiot, is baseless. For, if the ego ‘I’ goes, The Self remains which is the basis and source and the reality of ‘I’, ‘you’ and ‘it’. The expressions, such as ‘I myself’, ‘thou thyself’ and even ‘it itself’ show prove that the Self alone is their basis thereof.
Therefore, Self remains. ONE SHINING OF ITS OWN ACCORD REMAINS. That One is oneself.

Thank you so much, sir.

Regards,
  Anil               

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: June 23, 2012, 12:57:34 PM »
Dear Anil,

I agree with you. When the I thought or the ego or the mind looks inwards and merges with the Self, then there is only the
Self, the One without a second.

Sri Bhagavan describes this also in Sri Arunachala Pancharatnam, Verse 3.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1917 on: June 23, 2012, 04:33:04 PM »
“When the I thought or the ego or the mind looks inwards and merges with the Self, then there is only the
Self, the One without a second.
Sri Bhagavan describes this also in Sri Arunachala Pancharatnam, Verse 3.”

“He who turns inward with untroubled mind to search where the consciousness of ‘I’ arises realises the Self and rests in Thee, Oh Arunachala! as a river when it merges in the ocean.”
                                                      V. 3, Sri Arunachala Panchratna Darpanam

Verse 3 of Sri Arunachala Panchratna Darpanam epitomizes the Path of Self-enquiry. Sri Bhagwn says that the third stanza of Sri Arunachala Panchratna Darpanam deals with the ‘Sat’ aspect (BEING), the fourth with Chit (Consciousness) and the fifth with Ananda (Bliss). The Jnani becomes one with the Sat or Reality like a river merging in the ocean; the Yogi sees the Light of Chit; the Bhakta or karma yogin is immersed in the FLOOD OF ANANDA.

Dear sir, before coming to Sri Bhagwan, I never saw such Light as Sri Arunachala Panchratna Darpanam. So, when you mentioned about the V.3, something from within prompted me to write.

From where does the thought or remembrance of ‘I’ come, or rather rise? The expressed meaning of the word ‘I’ is the apparent little self. The extinction of this thought or the thought of ‘I’ in the Supreme Self, brought about by Self-enquiry, is so wonderfully brought out by the simile of the river merging into the ocean. “I am” is a conviction to everyone. Therefore, for searching one’s own Self, direct path, needing no prop, has been taught in the V. 3. In this method, investigation by the power of expressions, such as ‘I am Brahman’ is not required. IN THIS DIRECT METHOD, THE IMPLIED MEANING OF THE WORD ‘I’, THROBBING IN THE HEART AS ‘I-I’ OR ‘I AM’, THE ABSOLUTE , IS THE SELF-ACCOMPLISHED DIRECT EXPERIENCE.

Thank you so much, sir.

Regards,
  Anil         

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: June 23, 2012, 05:32:20 PM »
Dear Anil,

Sri Bhagavan says in original Tamizh verse: ahamukam aar andha amalamadhi thannAl.... One should look within with
a pure taintless mind... This presupposes a Sattvic mind, without rajas and tamas qualities. Sri Bhagavan has also said
in many places only a person of Sattvic mind can attempt self inquiry.

Arunachala Siva. 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1919 on: June 24, 2012, 08:58:20 AM »
“Sri Bhagavan says in original Tamizh verse: ahamukam aar andha amalamadhi thannAl.... One should look within with
a pure taintless mind... This presupposes a Sattvic mind, without rajas and tamas qualities. Sri Bhagavan has also said
in many places only a person of Sattvic mind can attempt self inquiry.”

Ji. Yes. Correct translation of the Verse 3 therefore should read:

O Arunachala! Seeking the whence of the ‘I’ through pure thought delving inward and grasping one’s true from, one reposes in Thee as a river in the ocean.”

Dear sir, it is well explained that when the thought or the mind moves in activities and sense objects rather than in oneself, its nature becomes impure. When one’s attention is wholly on the ‘I’-thought due to intense desire to know oneself, it is of the nature of ‘being’ rather than ‘doing’ and is therefore pure. Such pure thought alone delves inward and grasps one’s true form and reposes in Him as a river in the ocean.

Dear sir, during the initial years of Sri Bhagwan’s stay in Tiruvannamalai, on many occasions Sri Bhagwan replied when thus questioned that the Path of Self-enquiry is intended only for ripe souls. Others should get the necessary training and practice by adopting such other methods as are suited to their individual development, mental as well as moral.
However, when a devotee told Sri Bhagwan that he no longer found any support from the other methods and asked his authorisation to drop them, Sri Bhagwan replies, “Yes, all other methods only lead up to the Vichara.” So, why practice cycling along the road to Tirukoilur, away from Tiruvannamalai, when one’s destination is Vellore?   
Besides, during the later period in Ashram at the foot of the Hill, there is no record of any such limitation on the practice of Vichara being stipulated. Vichara was enjoined explicitly. Sri Arthur Osborne observes, “This may lead to the conclusion that, in the new from in which Sri Bhagwan presented it, the Vichara had only then been made really accessible to all who, through His Grace, aspired to use it.”

Sri Arthur Osborne further writes beautifully thus, “How is it, then, that He explained the Vichara openly and sometimes even referred visitors to the written expositions in His books? THE ONLY EXPLANATION IS THAT HE IS FAR MORE THAN THE GURU OF THOSE FEW WHO WERE ABLE TO APPROACH HIM PHYSICALLY IN TIRUVANNAMALAI. HIS IS THE AUTHRITY AND HE GAVE THE SANCTION. IN THIS SPIRITUALLY DARK AGE WHEN MANY SEEK BUT A GURU IS RARE TO FIND. BHAGWAN HIMSELF TOOK FORM ON EARTH AS THE SAD-GURU, THE DIVINE GUIDE, OF ALL WHO TURN TO HIM AND PROCLAIMED A SADHANA ACCESSIBLE TO ALL WHO, THROUGH HIS GRACE, FIND IT ACCESSIBLE.

Dear sir, I cannot agree more.

Thank you so much, sir.

Regards,
  Anil