Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 756360 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #1875 on: June 08, 2012, 11:30:22 AM »
Dear Anil, Ravi,

Nice post. Thought is the enemy. Even after a wrong action, one should regret about it and forget it. Thinking constantly
about it creates more problems. It is like the peacock coming again and again at the same time, for the opium, that you had
mentioned in another post.

Talks No. 420:

Devotee: If God is all why does the individual suffer for his actions? Are not the actions prompted by Him for which the
individual is made to suffer?

Maharshi: He who thinks he is the doer is also the sufferer.

Devotee: But the actions are prompted by God and the individual is only His tool.

Maharshi: This logic is applied one when one suffers, but not when one rejoices. If the conviction prevails always, there will
be no suffering either.

Devotee: When will the suffering cease?

Maharshi: Not until the individuality is lost. If both good and bad actions are His, why should you think that the enjoyment
and suffering are alone yours? He who does good or bad, also enjoys pleasure or suffers pain. Leave it there and do not
superimpose suffering on yourself.

Arunachala Siva.   

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1876 on: June 08, 2012, 08:47:37 PM »
Subramanian/Friends,
"It is like the peacock coming again and again at the same time, for the opium, that you had
mentioned in another post."
That observation  by Sri Ramakrishna just means that 'M' has felt the attraction of The Master and the pull of it has brought him to Dakshineswar for another 'Dose' like that of the peacock that had tasted a dose of Opium and drawn irresistibly for another dose!
Nearly 46 years after the Master's passing away,M recounts to Paul Brunton the nature of this pull.Interesting to observe what Paul Brunton has to say.Here is the excerpt from his 'A Search in Secret India'.
I will post this in the Rough Note-Book thread'.

Namaskar.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1877 on: June 09, 2012, 11:31:15 AM »
Dear Ravi,

Thank you. Incidentally attraction for women is there even for the mature sadhakas and even some Jnanis till their Jananubhavam
is complete without reversal.

In Arunagiri Natha's Tirupugazh we find that he was still mentioning about women's attractive bosoms in many poems. It may
be to decry such a passion but his mentioning shows that he is 'thinking' about that again and again.  In Manikkavachagar's case
also, he mentions it in many poems in Tiruvachakam.

I am of the view, in the six enemies, anger, greed, jealousy, fear, lust etc., lust is the last one that comes about in a human,
say at the age of 18 to 20 i.e., when a male  understands his manhood and a female when she attains puberty. And it is the last
one to go from the mind of human being.     

Devaraja Mudaliar quotes one Tamizh poem in one of his books. I shall post it when I am able to trace that poem from his books.

Arunachala Siva. 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: June 09, 2012, 03:59:29 PM »
Quote from Sri Subramanian Sir,
“I am of the view, in the six enemies, anger, greed, jealousy, fear, lust etc., lust is the last one that comes about in a human,
say at the age of 18 to 20 i.e., when a male understands his manhood and a female when she attains puberty. And it is the last
one to go from the mind of human being.”

Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

Ji. Yes. It appears that lust is the last one to come and the last one to go away. Thank you so much, sir. But anger, in my view, is also not less tenacious. Following is another instructive story in this context, narrated by Sri Annamalai Swami:

I often had to get angry with the workers in order to get the work done. I discovered quite early in my career that if I did not shout a lot the quantity and quality of work deteriorated.  On one occasion I went too far and actually hit one of the construction workers because he had deliberately disobeyed me. It happened on a day when I was supervising work on the dining room. Early that morning, before the workers came, Bhagwan had asked me to tell the stonecutter to cut a stone 1.5 feet long. The dimensions had to be exact because it was needed for a particular place in the dining room wall. Because Bhagwan had given me very precise orders about this stone, I told the stonecutter to be very careful when he cut it. I gave him detailed instructions on how to cut in such a way that it would not break. While I was supervising another job the stonecutter ignored all my instructions and broke the stone by trying to cut it in a different way. When I returned and saw what he has done I got so angry with him that I gave him a blow on the back.

This happened at about 9 a.m. For the rest of the day I felt very guilty about losing my temper in this way. That evening, when I gave report, I confessed to Bhagwan and apologised for my action. Bhagwan asked me, ‘When did this anger came and when did you hit him?’
I told him that the incident had happened about 9 a.m. that morning.
‘The anger that came at 9 a.m. has already gone’, said Bhagwan. ‘Why are you still thinking that you got angry and hit someone? Why are you still carrying these thoughts in your mind? Instead of feeling guilty about what you have done, enquire, “To whom did all this anger come?” FIND OUT THE REAL NATURE OF THE PERSON WHO GOT ANGRY THIS MORNING.
                                      P. 160-61, Living by the words of Bhagwan

Dear Sri Subramanian Sir, I am finding it rather difficult to attend the forum, participate in the discussion and post my responses. Therefore, for a few days or for some time at least, I would not be able to post my responses regularly.

Regards,
  Anil   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: June 09, 2012, 04:12:02 PM »
Contnd. from my last post:

Sri Bhagwan adds:For activity, that anger was needed. Now it is all over, you do not need to think abou it anymore. So drop that memory of anger and proceed with the next job.

"All are His jugglery only"

Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: June 09, 2012, 06:57:32 PM »
Dear Anil,

Whether it is anger or greed or lust, all are enemies.  But anger and greed slows down as one gets old, because there is no
strength in the body to be angry and face a fight in case fight ensues. But lust in internal. One need not have conjugation with
a lady when you become old, but the feeling can be burning in your mind.

Arunachala Siva. 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: June 10, 2012, 09:45:14 AM »
“Whether it is anger or greed or lust, all are enemies. But anger and greed slows down as one gets old, because there is no
strength in the body to be angry and face a fight in case fight ensues. But lust in internal. One need not have conjugation with
a lady when you become old, but the feeling can be burning in your mind.”

Ji. Yes. So long as there is ‘I am the body’ idea, there are others. So long as there are others, instinctive urges and subtle hankering continue.

“From the abstinence soul sense objects fall away, but not the taste for them. When the Supreme Truth is realised, even the taste departs.”
                                   V. 2-59, Srimad Bhagavad Gita.

Therefore, realisation of one’s true Atma-swarupa, that one is the Self, the Consciousness, and not the body, alone can uproot the instinctive urges and the subtle hankering and thirst for sensual enjoyments.

Thank you so much, sir.

Regards,
  Anil   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1882 on: June 10, 2012, 09:48:06 AM »
There is the body which is insentient; there is the Self which is eternal and self-luminous; in between the two there has arisen a phenomenon, namely the ego, which goes under these different names, mind (manas), intellect (budhi), memory (chitta), the ego(ahankara), power (sakti), life current (prana), etc. Seek your source; the search takes you to the Heart automatically. The antahkaranas are only ideas (kalpana) to explain the subtle body.
                                                                                                      Talk—392

Devotee: There are, say, beautiful colours. It is pleasure to watch them. We can see God in them.
Sri Bhagwan : They are all mental conceptions.
Devotee: There are more than colours. I mentioned colours only as an example.
Sri Bhagwan : They are all similarly mental.
Devotee: There is the body also—the senses and the mind. The soul makes use of all these for knowing things.
Sri Bhagwan : THE OBJECTS OR FEELINGS OR THOUGHTS ARE ALL MENTAL CONCEPTIONS. The mind rises after the rise of the I-thought or the ego. Wherefrom does the ego rise ? From the abstract consciousness or Pure intelligence.
Devotee: Is it soul?
Sri Bhagwan : Soul, mind or ego are mere words. THERE ARE NO ENTITES OF THE KIND. CONSCIOUSNESS IS THE ONLY TRUTH.
                                                                                                              Talk--244

Dear Devotees,

Sri Bhagwan says, “Be free from thoughts. Do not hold on to anything. THEY DO NOT HOLD YOU. BE YOURSELF.”

So, “BE YOURSELF” IS THE ESSENCE OF ALL TEACHING. Thoughts and feelings, playing free, is sure to lead us astray, to unreal and changeful things. Therefore, if one does not want to be led to unreal and changeful things, one must hold the Reality. The thoughts and feelings are unreal. Sri Bhagwan says, “GET RID OF THEM. BE YOURSELF.”
How will one be able to rid oneself of thoughts?
Why? “By only being oneself.”
Sri Bhagwan says that the Self always remains actionless, whereas thoughts arise and subside. The Self is perfection, it is immutable; the mind is changeful. We only need to cast of our limitations and our perfection stands revealed.

Therefore, dear devotees, we must seek and be the Atma-swarupa. That alone is the state of our true being. If we cannot remain as the Atma-swarupa, we must enquire, ‘Who is it who wants to enjoy outside of the being? Who am I?’ and remain as ourselves. Practice is to make this state only effortless.
Dear devotees, remaining still with the unwavering and steadfast practice of ‘Who am I?’ enquiry is the effort, and remaining still without effort, merged in the being is the goal.
To continue

Thank you,
   Anil     

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1883 on: June 10, 2012, 03:53:03 PM »
Do not fix your attention on all these changing things of life, death and phenomena. Do not think of even actual act of seeing or perceiving them, but only of that which sees all these things—that which is responsible for it all. THAT WILL SEEM NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE FIRST, BUT BY DEGREES THE RESULT WILL BE FELT. IT TAKES YEARS OF STEADY, DAILY PRACTICE, AND THAT IS HOW A MASTER IS MADE.
                              Ramana Maharshi and the Path of Self-knowledge

Dear Devotees,

Progress in self-enquiry is not palpable in the beginning. The Guru within alone knows how much ego is remaining. Sri F.H. Humphreys, the first foreign devotee of Sri Bhagwan, writes that though it takes years to find that ‘THAT’, the result of this concentration will be seen in four or five months’ time—in all sorts of unconscious power.

Dear devotees, I am not certain about the time, for it depends on many other factors as well, but if one practices Vichara with faith in the practice and the Guru who taught it, there is no doubt that one, time and again, gets  glimpses of the Reality, of the Consciousness, ‘I am’ which further beckons one on.  Yes, initially, this glimpse may not be of surpassing grandeur, nevertheless, it is infallible guide for enquiry into our real nature as it actually is in the Heart. ONCE THIS HAPPENS ONE IS IRREVERSIBLY SET ON THE PATH OF ATMA-VICHARA AS TAUGHT BY SRI BHAGWAN.

Thank you,
   Anil     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1884 on: June 10, 2012, 04:47:48 PM »
Dear Anil,

Yes. In self inquiry, only the preparatory work (getting chittasudhi, constantly re-fixing the attention to the Self) takes more time.
The Realization is instantaneous.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: June 11, 2012, 07:45:57 AM »
“Yes. In self inquiry, only the preparatory work (getting chittasudhi, constantly re-fixing the attention to the Self) takes more time.
The Realization is instantaneous.”

Ji. Yes. This is important to understand. Constantly re-fixing the attention, or again and again bringing back the attention, to the Self, is the effort required on the path of the Enquiry. When the Self-attention is effortless, it is Self-abidance, without even a single thought, that is, the state of ‘being still’.

Dear sir, Sri Bhagwan says in Talk--275: Sambandar had sung ”The One who fascinated my heart or the captivator of my heart, I sing of Him in my mind”. The Heart is captivated: consequently the mind must have sunk into the Heart; and yet there is the remembrance which enables the saint to sing of God later.

Now, dear sir, how is this remembrance possible when the Heart is captivated and the mind is sunk into It?
Sri Muruganar sings:
If you ask, ‘If being still is remaining without even a single thought, why is there then the practice of labelling it “a remembrance?” Give me a reply!’ You should know it is because of the firmness of the consciousness that is wholly the reality, which is forever without any forgetfulness.
                                      V. 1208, GVK, Edited by Sri D. Godman

Ji. Yes. Remembrance is possible because of the firmness of the Consciousness that is wholly the Reality and which is forever without any forgetfulness. This remembrance is not of the ‘remembering and forgetting of the dvanda’, a pair of opposites. In ‘Who am I?’ Sri Bhagwan speaks of the state of Self-attention as being ‘Atma-chintanai’, the ‘thought of the Self’.

Since the Self which is forever without any forgetfulness, shining as the consciousness of the Reality ‘I am’, perfectly in the state of ‘being still’, Reality is not forgotten. Sri Sadhu Om comments that since the Reality is not forgotten, Sri Bhagwan in that sense only described the state of Self-attention as ‘Atma-chintanai’ or thought of the Self.

Thank you so much, sir.

Regards,
  Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: June 11, 2012, 05:45:52 PM »
Dear Anil,

I remember to have read one long letter that Major Chadwick wrote to Dilip Kumar Roy, about the long time, sometimes even long
months and years to attain chidda suddhia and constant struggle in re-fixing the attention on the Self.  He also confirmed
in that letter that while Realization is instantaneous, the preparatory time is quite long.

This is not a Sri Ramanasramam Book but a publication by Ramananjali Group of Bangalore.

I shall give you the detailed contents if  I am able to trace that book.

Even if this birth is over, and one dies, the efforts will be kept in balance for the person to pursue it in the next birth.

Arunachala Siva. 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1887 on: June 11, 2012, 06:27:13 PM »
Quote from Sri Subramanian Sir:
“I remember to have read one long letter that Major Chadwick wrote to Dilip Kumar Roy, about the long time, sometimes even long
months and years to attain chidda suddhia and constant struggle in re-fixing the attention on the Self. He also confirmed
in that letter that while Realization is instantaneous, the preparatory time is quite long.”

Ji. Yes. Ability to bring back the attention again and again and re-fixing it on the Self is directly proportional to the ‘chitsudhi’ brought about by the very practice of the Enquiry.

Sri Bhagwan says in Maharshi’s Gospel that as long as it is merely the stage of practice of concentration by fixing a place of controlling our attention, ANY CONSIDERATION ABOUT THE SEAT OF THE SELF WOULD MERELY BE THEORISATION. One considers oneself as the subject, the seer, and the place whereon one fixes one’s attention immediately becomes the object seen. SRI BHAGWAN SAYS THAT THIS IS MERELY BHAVANA, IMAGINATION. ON THE CONTRARY, WHEN ONE SEES THE SEER ONESELF, ONE MERGES IN THE SELF, BECOMING ONE WITH IT AND THAT IS THE HEART.

Therefore, dear sir, effort required in Self-enquiry is thus far—one starting to see the true seer oneself, reaching the state of effortlessness and merging in the Self.

Thank you so much, sir.

Regards,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: June 12, 2012, 08:36:10 AM »
“When for instance a follower of bhakti marga declares that bhakti is the best, he really means by the word bhakti what the jnana marga man calls Jnana.”
                                                                Sri Bhagwan

Dear Devotees,

There is an instructive episode, in the ‘Power of the Presence, Part two, regarding Sri Kannappa , a blind devotee and Sri Dilip Kumar Roy, the famous musician of the Aurbindo Ashram.
Sri T.P. Ramachandran Iyer narrates:

A blind devotee called Kannappa once came to Sri Bhagwan. While talking about Kannappa, Sri Bhagwan remarked, ‘Those who listen to his singing will forget the difference between day and night.’ ‘Then why does he not sing?’,I asked.
Kannappa then sang some songs from the Tiruppugzh of Arunagirinatha. His singing was very sweet and his devotion brought tears to our eyes. We completely forgot ourselves. Soon afterwards the bell rang for lunch. Sri Bhagwan got up and rubbed his knees. Before he had a chance to leave, I told him how impressed I had been with the singing.
‘How beautifully he sang! What devotion!’ I said
‘Not only that, he can imitate anyone’, said Sri Bhagwan as He was crossing the hall.
Before He left He turned back towards me and added, ‘Yes, he sang beautifully. But what is it to us? If we get immersed in that devotion we will be carried away. THEN IT WILL BE DIFFICULT FOR US TO GET OUT OF IT.

However, Sri Iyer records that on another occasion , Sri Dilip Kumar Roy came from Podicherry and sang beautifully before Sri Bhagwan. When the bell rang for lunch, Sri Roy put down his instrument, put his palms together in a gesture of respect and said to Sri Bhagwan, ‘I do not practice any yoga, nor do I know any philosophy. All I know is singing. My heart and emotions have merged in this music. I want to reach God’s Feet by following this path. Do I have any hope” All I have is this little devotion, and that too only I get through singing’
Sri Bhagwan replied, ’Yes, it is enough. It will take you to higher levels.’
When I translated these words for Sri Roy, he felt so buoyed up by them, he touched Sri Bhagwan’s feet again and again. After he had left the hall Sri Bhagwan turned towards me and said, ‘Bhakti is the mother of Jnana. Tell him that.’
I called to Roy and translated this additional remark for him. It pleased him so much, he again repeatedly touched Sri Bhagwan’s Feet.     

Dear devotes, Sri Iyer observes that in Sri Kannappa’s case SRI BHAGWAN CAUTIONED US AGAINST DEVOTIOAL EMOTION, WHWEREAS IN SRI ROY’S CASE HE SAID THAT THE BHAKTI WAS ENOUGH.

Thank you,
  Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1889 on: June 12, 2012, 11:51:34 AM »
Dear Anil,

What does it mean?  Sri Bhagavan knows whose bhakti is intense and is itself sufficient to attain Jnana. That is why He approved
it in case of Dilip Kumar Roy.  As soon as Sri Dilip left, Devaraja Mudaliar asked: Bhagavan! Can I also sing Tirupugazh songs
and attain mukti? Sri Bhagavan said: No. For you it is only self inquiry or self surrender!

This clearly shows how Sri Bhagavan could differentiate between two devotees and decide what is best suited for them!

Arunachala Siva.