Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 758303 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #1860 on: June 04, 2012, 11:25:23 AM »
Dear Anil,

Bhava is essentially in bhakti marga. It is an intense feeling of love and faith. The bhava can sprout only when there is a mind.

Sri Bhagavan however composed Sri Arunachala Stuti Panchakam wherein bhava is expressed in so many lines. But this was
written for the sake of fellow sadhus who were going for bhiksha.

Arunachala Siva. 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: June 04, 2012, 07:01:23 PM »
Quote from Sri Subramanian Sir:
“Bhava is essentially in bhakti marga. It is an intense feeling of love and faith. The bhava can sprout only when there is a mind.”

Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

Bhakti Bhava. Ji. Yes. Bhava has an exalted place in Bhakti. Bhakti Bhava is an intense feeling of love and devotion and faith. Sri Muruganar sings:
“Those who have drunk deeply of devotion through a mind that has become ripe through devotion will, as the reward for their devotion, crave only surging, supreme devotion, the ever-fresh ambrosia of devotion itself.” V. 720, GVK, Edited by Sri D. Godman

But Vichara is free from the bhava or concepts. Thank you so much, sir.

Regards,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: June 05, 2012, 08:13:34 AM »
Q. Is the Guru-disciple relationship real?
Sri Annamalai Sawmi: From the stand-point of the Self one would have to say that it is all maya, but one could add that is the best kind of maya. One can use a thorn to remove another thorn. Similarly, one can use the maya-like Guru-disciple relationship to root out maya in all its manifestations. Maya is so firmly established in us that only the illusory Guru-lion in our dream can give us a big enough shock to wake us.
                                 Living by the Words of Bhagwan

Dear Devotees,

All appearances are nothing but the mind and its projection. All forms and system of forms are maya only. Maya which is not. The Guru also appears in our maya-dream only. But He appears in the maya-dream called ‘samsara’ only to shock us so much that we wake up into Jnana. So, while the dream is in progress, the Guru-lion indeed is very real for us. But when we wake up there is no lion and there is no dream and we become aware that there is no Guru and no disciple either. Only The Self is.

But Sri Annamalai Sawmi says that we should not have that attitude prior to Realisation. So long as we are still trapped in maya, we must inevitably accept the Guru-disciple relationship as real because this relationship provides the only way of transcending the wrong knowledge we have about ourselves. Sri Swami says that even though we may know intellectually that all is one, we should revere the form of the Guru because it is only through His Grace that our ignorance can be dissolved. WE SHOULD RESPECT THE GURU AND HIS TEACHING AT ALL TIMES. Treating Him like a person, not different from any other manifestation of the Self, is expressly wrong. RESPECT FOR THE GURU AND FAITH IN HIS TEACHING ARE ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL FOR ALL THOSE WHO WANT TO MAKE PROGRESS.

Dear devotees, it is well known that Sri Bhagwan taught many different paths to suit depending on the maturity and ripeness of different devotees and seekers. But all these paths taught are really preparations for Sri Bhagwan’s Path only. And what is Sri Bhagwan’s Path? Sri Bhagwan taught that ultimately, one must learn to abide in the Self as the Self by Self-enquiry or complete surrender.
Sri Annamalai Swami says that unfortunately, there are very few people who are spiritually mature enough to follow Sri Bhagwan’s  highest Teaching and most people have to follow other paths until they are ready for the FINAL PATH.

Thank You,
   Anil                   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: June 06, 2012, 07:41:46 AM »
Devotee: There are said to be six organs of different colours in the chest, of which the heart is said to be two finger-breadths to the right of the middle line. But the Heart is also formless. Should we then imagine it to have a shape and meditate on it ?
Sri Bhagwan : No. Only the quest “Who am I?” is necessary. What remains all through deep sleep and waking is the same. But in waking there is unhappiness and the effort to remove it. Asked who wakes up from sleep you say ’I’. Now you are told to hold fast to this ‘I’. If it is done the eternal Being will reveal Itself. Investigation of ‘I’ is the point and not meditation on the heart centre. There is nothing like within or without. Both mean the same thing or nothing.
                                                                                                             Talk—131

Dear Devotees,

So, investigation of ‘I’ is the point and not meditation on the heart centre. Sri Bhagwan says that certainly there is also the practice of meditation on the heart centre. But then, meditation, such as meditation on the heart centre, or for that matter meditation on even Mahavakyas, is ONLY THE PRACTICE AND NOT INVESTIGATION ABOUT WHICH SRI BHAGWAN SPEAKS OF. Sri Bhagwan say that only the one who meditates on the Heart can remain aware when the mind ceases to be active and remains still. On the other hand those who meditate on other centres cannot be so aware but infer that the mind was still only after it becomes active again.

Dear devotees, as for ‘TATVAMASI’, Sri Bhagwan says that without understanding it aright, people think that the Guru teaches the disciple something like ‘TATVAMASI’ and that the disciple realises ‘I am Brahman’. WHAT IS THE DANGER? Sri Bhagwan says that in their ignorance they conceive of Brahman as something infinitely huge and powerful. WITH A LIMITED ‘I’ THE MAN IS SO STUCK AND WILD. WHAT WILL BE THE CASE IF THIS WILD AND STUCK UP ‘I’ GROWS UP IN SUCH ENORMITY? Sri Bhagwan says that he will be enormously ignorant and foolish!

Dear devotees, this false ‘I’ must perish, either by Vichara or by surrender. Its annihilation alone is the real Guru Bhakti. Sri Bhagwan says that Realisation is eternal and is not newly brought about by The Guru. The Guru only helps the removal of ignorance. That is all.

Thank you,
   Anil     

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: June 07, 2012, 08:15:23 AM »
Dear Devotees,

Knowledge that I am the perfect, shining light which not only makes the existence of God’s kingdom possible, but also allows it to be seen as some wonderful heaven’ is Janaa, the Right Knwledge. Sri Bhagwan says in the Ulladu Narpadu, V-4, that if Self has form, the world and God likewise have form. If the Self is without form, by whom and how can form of world and God be seen? So, it follows that if the individual is a form, even the Self, the Source, who is the Lord, will also appear to be a form. Knowledge of ‘other things’ is possible only if one is a form. If one is not a form, there cannot be knowledge of ‘other things’ and therefore the statement that God has a form will also not be correct. God assumes myriad forms according to the imagination of the devotees only.

Therefore, it is obvious  that existence of God follows our own conception of God. Sri Bhagwan says, ‘Let us first know whose concept God is’, for concept will be only according to the one who conceives.

Sri Bhagwan says to Sri Paul Brunton that conception of Ishwara, God, the Creator, the Personal God, etc, is the last of the unreal forms to go. ONLY THE ABSOLUTE BEING IS REAL. So, not only the world, not only the ego, but also the personal God is of unreality. WE MUST FIND THE ABSOLUTE—NOTHING LESS.

Thank you,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: June 07, 2012, 04:42:55 PM »
Dear Devotees,

Why does the whole world bow low before God? What is the reason for God’s superiority?

Sri Muruganar sings:
The position of human beings will improve to the extent that they behave with humility towards others. The reason for GOD’S supremacy, the reason why the whole world bows low before Him, is surely, is it not, His exalted nature of not possessing a deluded ego that rises, even inadvertently?
                                   V. 494, GVK, Edited by Sri D. Godman

Humility towards others . ‘Other’ includes not only human beings but all other living beings also. Without humility, one will drown in the pitch blackness of hell.

As devotees of God see only their own Self in everything, they behave with humility towards all of them. But since God humbles Himself even before His devotees, He has attained, as His nature, that state in which there is nothing inferior to Him. Is it not because of the supremacy of this extreme humility that He has attained the State of God?
                              V. 497, GVK, Edited by Sri D. Godman

‘Humility towards all of them.’ Sri Muruganar says that the implication is that the proper way to attain the state of God is to remain subsided, without the ego.

Thank you,
  Anil 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: June 07, 2012, 05:09:46 PM »
Dear Anil,

Sri Bhagavan proved His humility on many many occasions.  Once it so happened, that Viswanatha Swami washed His
coupina and towel. When seeing that His clothes have already been washed, and coming to know that Viswanatha
Swami had done it, He told him: Viswanatha!  You give your dhoti and towel tomorrow to me and I shall wash them!

Sri Bhagavan never used to address animals and reptiles as 'It.' He used to address them as He or She. Even the devotees,
were addressed in plural excepting very rare cases like that of Ramanatha Brahmachari.

Once some bricks had come in a truck for some construction work. The devotees were lifting them one by one to the shed.
Sri Bhagavan was noticing this.  At midnight, He was seen shifting some bricks to the shed.

Saint Tiruvalluvar says: Humility will make you live with devas. If you are not humble, it will result in the utter darkness of
Hell.

Arunachala Siva.   

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: June 07, 2012, 05:30:08 PM »
subramanian/Anil/Friends,
Yes indeed.Sri Bhagavan was so utterly unassuming.
coming to the tirukkural:
அடக்கம் அமரருள்  உய்க்கும் அடங்காமை
ஆரிருள் உய்த்துவிடும்.
Adakkam amararul uykkum adangamai
Arirul uythuvidum.

Master TGN gives the key to the word-அமரருள்.It is அமர்+அருள்=amar+aruL =Abiding Grace.
The Opposite of அருள் is இருள்.

He gives the true import of the KuRaL:
Reigning in of the mind leads to abiding Grace
Lack of it plunges it into dense darkness(Ignorance).

Namaskar.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: June 07, 2012, 05:32:30 PM »
Dear Ravi,

I like this new insight given by your Master. amar + aruL = abidance in Grace. Wonderful.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: June 07, 2012, 06:02:49 PM »
Quote form Sri Ravi:
“Reigning in of the mind leads to abiding Grace.”

Quote from Sri Subramanian Sir:
“amar + aruL = abidance in Grace.”

Dear Sri Subramanian Sir and Sri Ravi,

I feel that there is a little difference between the phrase ‘abiding grace’ and the phrase
‘abidance in grace’. Is there not?
What is tirukkural?
Please enlighten.
Thank you so much.

Regards,
  Anil   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: June 07, 2012, 06:11:02 PM »

Dear Anil,

TirukkuraL is a book, very old, say 3 C. A.D, written by a Sage called Tiruvalluvar. He has composed 1330 couplets,
covering dharma (righteousness), artha (lawful wage earning) and kAma (love and sex in family life.) He does not
speak about Mokhsa. His philosophy is that if one could do the three things mentioned above rightfully, he will attain
Moksha. Even the Benedictory ten verses about God, he speaks about God rather discreetly, with the result one cannot
find out whether he was a Saivite or a Vaishnavite or even a Jain. However the book is most popular among Tamizh
literature for his lucid ideas in the three main parts.

English translation is available in different editions. One can get it in any Patna bookshop.

Arunachala Siva. 

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: June 07, 2012, 06:44:11 PM »
Subramanian/Anil/Friends,
There is nothing that TirukkuraL does not deal with.In fact it Starts with kadAvul vAzhththu.(God)
Master TGN gave a series of 12 or so Talks on this Great work-and it is not true that it has left Moksha as Subramanian has mentioned.
Master gave a wonderful insight into these couplets and one of the key things he said is that one should free the couplets from the present classification under different chapters with 10 in each.This was not at all the original design of the sage TiruvaLLuvar and is the handiwork of later day scholars who did not have  spiritual insight and were guided by the external meaning of the words.
More Later.

Namaskar.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: June 07, 2012, 07:45:50 PM »
Dear Rav,

May be your teacher is correct.  But I have seem only traditional classification and did not investigate whether it is a handiwork of
later commentators or poets.  Parimelazhgar whose commentary is said to be the best one does not see any mischief and he goes
by the couplets as it is.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: June 08, 2012, 08:24:22 AM »
Let a person not merge with any thought, forsaking the state of the Self. If he does so, then let him not feel sorry about it and come again under the spell of forgetfulness. Why? [Tiruvalluvar says:] ‘Let a person not do anything in the first place that makes him later regret, “Oh, what have I done!” If ever he does, then it is better for him not to indulge in any self-recriminations about it.
                                                          V. 780. GVK, Edited by Sri David Godman

Dear Sri Subramanian Sir and Sri Ravi

Thank you so much for enlightening me about the great Sage Sri Tiruvalluvar and His great work ‘Tirukkural’. The quotation in the cited Verse above is from V. 655 of the Tirukkural. Sri Bhagwan teaches the same. He says ‘Why are you still carrying these thoughts of guilt in your mind? Instead of feeling guilty about what you have done, enquire, ‘Who does feel guilty? To whom does this thought come?’
In this context, Sri Annamalai Swami narrates a very instructive incidence which is as follows:

In 1938,I (Annamalai Swami) was once again troubled by sexual desires, he reacted in a completely different way. For three days my mind had been filled with sexual thoughts, so much so that I began to think, ‘How will I ever attain salvation if thoughts like these constantly come?’
I was so disturbed by these thoughts that throughout these three days I was unable to eat or sleep properly. Finally, I decided that Bhagwan was the only person who could help me.  That evening I followed Bhagwan when he went out for his walk and explained my problem to him.
‘Since the desire for woman came to me the other day, I have not slept or taken food for the last three days. As these thoughts occur quite often, what will eventually happen to me?’
Bhagwan, after remaining silent for a couple of minutes, replied, ‘Why should you always be thinking that an evil thought occurred at such  and such a time in the past ? If you instead meditate “To whom does this thought come?” it will fly away of its own accord. You are not the body or the mind, you are the Self. Meditate on this and all your desires will leave you.’
                                              Source: Living by the Words of Bhagwan

Therefore, one should not indulge, in the first place, in such activities which later make one regret for one’s actions. If, however, one does so, it is better to enquire, ‘To whom does this thought of guilt come?’ rather than indulging in self-recrimination.         

Regards,
   Anil

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: June 08, 2012, 08:37:13 AM »
Anil,
Yes ,how we learn from the lives of these Great ones without which the wise sayings may not be appreciated and understood truly!Yes,that is a wonderful saying of Sage tiruvaLLuvar,verse 655, and the incident that you have brought out simply illustrates it and how that needs to be effected in practice.
Thanks very much.
This verse 655 is from the Chapter called vinaith thooimai-Purity in action.
Namaskar.