Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 758842 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #1845 on: June 01, 2012, 07:06:47 PM »
Quote:
“Aruja told krishna after BG teaching : Hey krishna ... you are really silly. All you needed to say was "Surrender Everything to me".
and u told me 17 chapters for that ?
what atma, paramatma, bhutatma ?
why all this shabda jalam. why all this silly stuff ?

and then ... do u know what ? its really silly to teach me kshetra - kshetrajna vibhagam. if i remember all this, do you know how much of a burden this is ?

R u my friend or enemy

oh! Bhagavan had a waist also, Ah! Very nice to know!

This should really have been the ultiamte teaching of Bhagavan!!

Anil ji... what is this ? you only told what David Godman ji said! that one should forget all knowledge of scriptures of realization.

so upadesha saram is also a scripture. if you want ill restate: lets remember upadesha saram, but forget ribhu gita and bhagavad gita.

and also ... i think we should stick to what Ramana said. he did not sya "Self Attention". He said ask "Who am i". We should do that.

How can anyone know reality from Ribhu Gita !!!!!!? ??
Scriptures are really a jungle ... one should keep them away from themselves by atleast a mile.
Sri Bhagavan may have been making fun of those who were attached to Ribhu Gita and thought it was useful.

and regarding :

and what about Bhagavan's waist around which the stars were moving

1)   Yesterday we established throughly that no "intellectual preparation" is required.
And ribhu gita is not "Bhakti oriented".

Moreover ...

2) Earlier we already established that to say "I AM SELF" , one should be Ramana ... otherwise it becomes "hypocracy". But if one is Ramana, its not required at all. He was suggesting it for others u said !!

Thats why I said its not required. if we are to go by these two conclusions. it seems Ramana and devotees chanted Ribhu Gita every

Where did Sankara say this sir ?
Which Sloka ?

and more over ... while saying also, i think we should not "Feel"...
coz if we feel its hypocracy.

And to add to that... why that Guru told him Sivoham ? i think its just like repeating anything one eventually has the mind stilled. and certain mantras have some beej aksharas which are powerful.
the guru also did not want him to do "Bhavana" that he is Siva. I think so...
coz the Bhavana "I AM SIVA" means one cannot say it with out realization.”

Dear Sri Udai,

It is rather unfortunate. Some of the quoted lines should not have been posted here. (hey Krishna…you are silly, Oh! Bhagwan had a waist also, etc.) However, I do not wish to say that these lines have hurt me or offended me.

Dear Sri Udai, spiritual pursuit is subjective. Sometimes, even Sri Bhagwan could not persuade a visitor to follow His Line of Teaching.

As I mentioned earlier in a previous post that the Path of Atma-vichara, as taught by Sri Bhagwan, is a new Revelation, appropriate for the modern age. Vichara differs from the traditional path of meditation on ‘Mahavakyas’, as practiced by the Advaitins. Traditional path, Sri Bhagwan has pointed out, is dualistic, whereas Vichara taught by Sri Bhagwan is subjective and therefore termed by Him as the Direct or Straight Path. This path is not purely the Path of Jnana as is generally understood. Vichara is a fusion of Jnana and Bhakti.

Therefore, dear Sri Udai, the things that you are trying to explain may be of great help in the traditional methods, BUT CERTAINLY THEY ARE NOT PREREQUISITES FOR FOLLOWING THE PATH OF ATMA-VICHARA, AS TAUGHT BY SRI BHAGWAN.

Having said as the above, I wish to say that from your post, it erroneously reflects that all Forum members are opposed to the study or reading or chanting of the sacred Scriptures which I am sure is far from the truth. Don’t be mistaken. We all revere the sacred Vedanta and other Scriptures as much as you do. I have been reading Srimad Bhagavad Gita from my early childhood. I believe deeply that it was my love for the Gita which subsequently paved the way for me to the ‘Sacred Feet of Sri Bhagwan’.

Dear Sri Udai, kindly tell me, “What more do I need now that I have reached the feet of Sri Bhagwan, other than walking the Path AS STRAIGHT AS SRI BHAGWAN HAS SHOWN?”

Ji.Yes. Sri Bhagwan says that a day will come when you will have to unlearn all that you have learnt. But certainly that does not imply that Jnana is a state of indolence but, as Sri Bhagwan has pointed out, It is the State if intense activities.   
Dear Sri Udai, I shall be very happy indeed if you keep on posting from the Sacred Vedanta and other Scriptures. Although I am not well versed, I assure you that I shall participate with enthusiasm in any discussion over the Vedanta Texts with you. My only request to you is not to kindly force your point of view on others for spiritual pursuit is subjective.

Thank you so much.

Regards,
  Anil

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1846 on: June 01, 2012, 10:07:46 PM »
Anil,
Here are some wonderful dOhe of Saint kabir:
Aisee Vani Boliye, Man Ka Aapa Khoye
Apna Tan Sheetal Kare, Auran Ko Sukh Hoye

Speak such words, sans ego's ploy
That makes one cool, giving the listener joy

Kabira Khara Bazaar Mein, Mange Sabki Khair
Na Kahu Se Dosti, Na Kahu Se Bair.

Kabira Stands in the market place Asks(wishes) for everyone, prosperity;
Neither special friendship nor enmity for anyone.

Kabir Man Nirmal Bhaya, Jaise Ganga Neer
Pache Pache Har Phire, Kahat Kabir Kabir.

Kabir Washed His Mind Clean, Like The Holy Ganges River
Everyone follows behind, Saying Kabir, Kabir.

Namaskar.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1847 on: June 02, 2012, 08:56:16 AM »
Quote from Sri Subramanian Sir:
“Again Manikkavachagar today!

TirupaLLi ezhucchi:

We sing songs, about you. We dance to the tunes. Otherwise we have not heard about anyone who Knows you (really)!

GeethangaL pAduthal Aduthal allAl, kettaRiyom unnai kaNdRrivarai.......”

Dear Sri Subramanina Sir,

Will you kindly elaborate the cited Verse in its totality? This is a beautiful Verse.

Dear sir, I do not exactly remember but once you posted a poem the theme of which, I remember, is as follows:
“I had been one with you. But when I wanted to see your form, you saw oddity in me and left me.”

Do you remember, sir? I tried to search for it in Sri Ramana Sannidhi Murai , but didn’t succeed.  If you remember, kindly post the Verse.

Thank you so much, sir.

Regards,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1848 on: June 02, 2012, 09:22:44 AM »
Quote from Sri Ravi:
1.“It is enough to love Him and
feel attracted to Him: Don't you know that God is the Inner Guide? He sees the longing of
our heart and the yearning of our soul.”

2.“Kabir Man Nirmal Bhaya, Jaise Ganga Neer
Pache Pache Har Phire, Kahat Kabir Kabir.

Kabir Washed His Mind Clean, Like The Holy Ganges River
Everyone follows behind, Saying Kabir, Kabir.”

3.Purification of mind
"There is no use in merely making a noise if you want to establish the Deity in the shrine of
your heart, if you want to realize God. First of all purify the mind. In the pure heart God
takes His seat. One cannot bring the holy image into the temple if the droppings of bats are
all around. The eleven bats are our eleven organs: five of action, five of perception, and the
mind.
"First of all invoke the Deity, and then give lectures to your heart's content. First of all dive
deep. Plunge to the bottom and gather up the gems. Then you may do other things. But
nobody wants to plunge. People are without spiritual discipline and prayer, without
renunciation and dispassion. They learn a few words and immediately start to deliver
lectures. It is difficult to teach others. Only if a man gets a command from God, after
realizing Him, is he entitled to teach."

Dear Sri Ravi,

Ji. Yes. It is enough to love Him. Sri Bhagwan has also taught the same. He is the Self and the Inner Guru and therefore witness to the longing of our heart and the yearning of our soul. Beautiful.

Dear Sri Ravi, the great Sage Sri Kabir’s cryptic percepts are engraved in the spiritual consciousness of this country and people in this part often cite from them even in general discussion. Kabir washed His mind clean like the holy Ganges river and everyone now follows Him, saying Kabir, Kabir! How simply He tells the Sublime Truth!

I need not make any comment on the third quote above, for it is self-explained.

Thank you very much, sir.

Regards,
  Anil

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1849 on: June 02, 2012, 09:40:19 AM »
Anil,
"the great Sage Sri Kabir’s cryptic percepts are engraved in the spiritual consciousness of this country and people in this part often cite from them even in general discussion"
Indeed yes.I like this colloquial form of Hindi devoid of all sophistry.Sri Ramakrishna's Bengali was also like that!
When we have the Blazing Light of these Great ones,how insignificant is our glow-worm like blinking light! :)
Namaskar.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1850 on: June 02, 2012, 12:20:59 PM »
Dear Anil,

This is one of the 10 verses in Tirup PaLLi Ezhuchi in Tiruvachakam of Manikkavachagar. The title means waking up God in the
early morning, like that song about Venkateswara in Tirupati.  The girls after bath go the Temple and wake God (the ever
awake vigilant Siva) up from bed.

bhoothangaL thoRum ninRai enin allAl
  pokkilan varavilan ena ninai pulavor.....

You are in all the (five) elements, for ever,
But learned say that you are not going or coming!

geetgangaL pAduthal Aduthal allAl
  kettaRiyom unaik kaNdarivArai....

We sing songs, dance, as otherwise
We have not heard from anyone who can say 'We've seen Him and know Him'!

seethangoL vayal tiru perundurai mannA
  chintanaikkum ariyAi engaL mun vanthu....

O Lord of Tirup perundurai, with cool (paddy) fields
  the One who is beyond thought; please come before us!

EthangaL aRuthy emmai ANdaruL puriyum
 emperumAn paLLi ezhuntharuLAye!

And cut off our sins, inadequacies, take over us, rule us, please,
  O Lord please wake up and grace us!

In the Asramam devotees used to sing this song  after bath, in the early morning at around 5 am in the Old Hall before Sri Bhagavan!

Sri Bhagavan used to make joke saying: I have already taken bath and am sitting. how to wake up again?

tiruvembAvai and tiruppAvai are types  of songs where girls wake up each other in the early morning to go jointly for bathing
in the river or tank.  The first is by Manikkavachagar and the second is by Andal, Godha.

tirupaLLi exhucchi is a type where girls finish their bath and go to the temple to wake up Siva or Narayana (thoNadar adipodi
Azhwar has sung tirup paLLi ezhucchi on Narayana.)                   

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1851 on: June 02, 2012, 02:48:14 PM »
You are in all the (five) elements, for ever,
But learned say that you are not going or coming!

We sing songs, dance, as otherwise
We have not heard from anyone who can say 'We've seen Him and know Him'!

O Lord of Tirup perundurai, with cool (paddy) fields
  the One who is beyond thought; please come before us!

And cut off our sins, inadequacies, take over us, rule us, please,
  O Lord please wake up and grace us!

Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

Ah! Those souls who heard the Great Sage Sri Manikkavachagar sing! They indeed are blessed!

Quote:
“In the Asramam devotees used to sing this song after bath, in the early morning at around 5 am in the Old Hall before Sri Bhagavan!

Sri Bhagavan used to make joke saying: I have already taken bath and am sitting. how to wake up again?”

Dear sir, simile is apt. If the girls after bath should go to the temple and awaken the ever awake and vigilant Lord Shiva, so also, the devotees after bath should go to awaken their ever awake and ever vigilant Guru. Girls come to Lord Shiva to worship and obtain Grace and boon. Devotees come to the Guru to clear the darkness called ignorance.

Thank you so much, sir.

Regards,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1852 on: June 03, 2012, 08:20:56 AM »
Dear Devotees,

I am the Self. You are the Self. Everyone and all things are verily the Self. Only the Self is. Is it not?
AND SADHAK MUST REMAIN AS THE SELF. But he cannot do so because of rise of thoughts due to inherent vasanas or impressions. So, Sri Bhagwan teaches that one must ascertain the true meaning and import of ‘I’ and constantly keep on reverting back to it whenever thoughts arise. THIS IS THE PRACTICE.

Sri Bhagwan explains:

By sravana, knowledge dawns. That is the flame.

By manana, the knowledge is not allowed to vanish. Just as a flame is protected by a wind-screen, so also, the other thoughts are not allowed to overwhelm the right knowledge.

By nidhidhyasana, the flame is kept up to burn always brightly by trimming the wick. Whenever other thoughts arise, the mind is turned inward to the Light of True Knowledge of the Self. 

Dear devotees, Atma-vichara, as taught by Sri Bhagwan, includes all the three in itself.
The enquiry ‘Who am I?’ is the sravana.
The ascertainment of the true meaning and import of ‘I’ is the manana.
The practical application of the right knowledge thus gained, on each occasion, is nidhidhyasana.
Being as ‘I’ alone is Samadhi.

Having said as the above, I wish to add that the Atma-vichara, as taught by Sri Bhagwan, is more than the sum of its apparent or visible components, that is, it is holistic. It is certainly more than what meets the eye at a first glance.
IN MY VIEW, IT IS BECAUSE OF THE EVER AVAILABLE GRACE OF SRI BHAGWAN FOR THOSE WHO ARE SINCERELY TRYING TO BECOME SELF-AWARE BY TREADING THE PATH SHOWN BY HIM.

Thank you,
   Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1853 on: June 03, 2012, 08:26:35 AM »
Dear devotees, what does Sri Bhagwan mean when He says that 'the practical application of the right knowledge, on each occassion, is nidhidhyasana ?

Thank you,
  Anil   

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1854 on: June 03, 2012, 09:24:18 AM »
anil,
Good question friend.

This is what the Great sage TiruvaLLuvar says in TirukkuraL:

"எல்லா விளக்கும் விளக்கல்ல சான்றோர்க்கு
பொய்யா விளக்கே விளக்கு"

ellA viLLakkum viLLakalla sAnRorkku
poyyA viLakke viLakku.

All Lights are not light;To the wise ones
Infallible Light alone is Light!

What Sri Bhagavan is saying is that all knowledge other than self is changeable,fallible,perspective oriented,dependent on subject-object relationship-All this is not true knowledge.All this , acquired by reading  books,by observing phenomena,by intellectual cogitation-all these are misleading and false Lights.
The only Light that one can be sure of is 'one's own self'.No one can deny this presence.This is True Knowledge.
To hold on to this presence-the sense of 'I' without any thought,even the thought 'I am the self' , is the Practical application of True Knowledge.
In fact this is no different than pure devotion.
Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1855 on: June 03, 2012, 10:05:04 AM »
Anil,
I love the way you have dealt with sravana ,manana and nidhidyasana-I had posted a similiar one in David's blog.It is a deepening process ,each one smootly merging into the other.They coalesce ,so to say.
The Great Sage thAyumAnavar says so wonderfully and succinctly:

ஓருரையால் வாய்க்குமுண்மைக் கோரனந்த நூல்கோடிப்
பேருரையாற் பேசில்என்ன பேறாம் பராபரமே.

For the Truth that can By a single word be attained,Why expound
 numerous books And countless commentaries?Oh Para Param!

All Earnest seekers have to jettison appendages and extra baggage-sometime or other!

The ABCs of communication are valid here as well-Accuracy,Brevity and Clarity.If one aspect is missing,the communication falls flat.What to speak of communion!!Utter simplicity is called for.
Accuracy+Brevity +Clarity=Utter simplicity!
Namaskar.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1856 on: June 03, 2012, 11:16:27 AM »
Quote from Sri Ravi:
“All Lights are not light;To the wise ones
Infallible Light alone is Light!

What Sri Bhagavan is saying is that all knowledge other than self is changeable,fallible,perspective oriented,dependent on subject-object relationship-All this is not true knowledge.All this , acquired by reading books,by observing phenomena,by intellectual cogitation-all these are misleading and false Lights.
The only Light that one can be sure of is 'one's own self'.No one can deny this presence.This is True Knowledge.
To hold on to this presence-the sense of 'I' without any thought,even the thought 'I am the self' , is the Practical application of True Knowledge.
In fact this is no different than pure devotion.”

“I love the way you have dealt with sravana ,manana and nidhidyasana-I had posted a similiar one in David's blog.It is a deepening process ,each one smootly merging into the other.They coalesce ,so to say.”

Dear Sri Ravi,

Ji. Yes. This is, in my view, the most appropriate understanding of Sri Bhagwan’s Statement that practical application of the right knowledge is nidhidhyasana. However, according to other school, the thought ‘Aham Brahmasmi’ or ‘I am Brahman’ is nidhidhyasana. JI.YES. SRI BHAGWAN SAYS THAT THIS IS THE DIVERSION OF THOUGHT TO BRAHMAN. NO DIVERSION SHOUD BE ALLOWED.

Ji. Yes. In a deepening process of awareness, there is no clear boundary. ‘When sravana’ takes the form of the inner sravana, there is certainly no clear demarcating line between sravana and manana on the one hand, and between manana and nidhidhyasana on the other. THEY COALESCE, AS YOU DESCRIBED SO BEAUTIFULLY.

Thank you very much, sir.

Regards,
  Anil 

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1857 on: June 03, 2012, 09:46:25 PM »
Dear Sri Udai,

So, my apprehension was not unfounded. So, you have once again left the Forum in a fit of disappointment over the outcome of a debate in which you have been so energetically involved. I always regarded you an invaluable member of the Forum. But, of late, I do not know what happened to you that you did not listen to anybody and rejected outright every other view-point that differed from that of yours. All this is rather unfortunate and the Forum is poorer by that much. But I am, nevertheless, sure that Sri Bhagwan’s Grace is in operation and this Forum will be performing unhindered its role of clearing the doubts of genuine seekers and devotees. This is more important than anything else, whether I, you, he, she, etc. are there or not.

Dear Sri Udai, I do not know whether you would read this post or not, still, I feel that I should answer your question to the best of my knowledge and understanding.   

Gi. Yes. Verse 8  of the Upadesha Saram says that better than meditation with a sense of differentiation as ‘I am He’, this non-differentiating meditation is considered purifying. ‘I am That’ meditation is traditionally regarded as the Path of Knowledge. The meditator and the Brahman are one. Contemplating one’s identity with It is purifying.

Sri Bhagwan never criticised any path but to my knowledge he never advised His devotees to follow the path of meditation on Mahavakyas. To my knowledge He never enjoined this path. He made it clear that these are but concepts and that abidance in the Pure State alone is Knowledge.

And for Abidance in the Pure State, He revealed the Path of Atma-vichara out of great compassion for His devotees.

Sri Bhagwan says that ‘I am’-ness is the primary datum of our experience. To enable the sadhaka to steer clear of possible doubt, Sri Bhagwan teaches to take up the thread or the clue of ‘I’-ness or ‘I-am’-ness and follow it up to Its Source. Sri Bhagwan emphasised on several occasions that it is impossible for anybody to entertain any doubt about his ‘I’-notion, secondly whatever be the sadhana adopted, the final goal is the realisation of the source of ‘I am’-ness.

Dear Sri Udai, You are aware that Sri Bhagwan says that ‘I exist’ is the only permanent, self-evident experience of everyone. Nothing else is so evident as ‘I am’. ‘’So, to do self-analysis and be ‘I am’ is the only thing to do. ‘I am’ is reality. I am this or that is unreal. ‘I am’ is truth, another name for the Self.’I AM GOD’ IS NOT TRUE”, says Sri Bhagwan
Therefore, dear Sri Udai, Atma-vichara is the Straight Path on which Sri Bhagwan teaches to cling or hold on to this existential feeling of ‘I am’-ness which is the primary datum of our experience, from the beginning to the end. With effort, it is the practice. Effortless, it is the Goal. No concept allowed-either of Brahman or of the Self. Taking only the underlying consciousness ‘I am’ as the one unique refuse for our attention FROM THE BEGINNING TO THE END IS THE PATH OF ATMA-VICHARA . No other ‘Bhava’ or thought is given any room.  THIS IS THE TEACHING AS I UNDERSTAND AND PRACTICE.           

Dear Sri Udai, please let me know why do you that? Why? Well, leave, leave by all means, if you feel posts make you fall from the state of being as you say. But then do it naturally, why force it?  Go away silently and again when you feel like ‘being’ with the Forum member and sharing your experiences, come without hesitation. But do you imagine that the manner in which you have left the Forum again has left behind an occasion of melancholy and dismay all round?

Dear Sri Udai, I am aware that you might have been hurt or disillusioned. But then it is all mental only. I love you and therefore request you to go for deep introspection. Intelligent and man of wisdom that you are, I am sure you would find that your view-point was not always valid and others’ view-points were not alway invaliid, AND, OF COURSE, YOU WOULD REALISE THAT YOUR DECISION TO LEAVE THE FORUM IN THIS MANNER IS NOT FLAWLESS. You woud realise that aftar all it is all ego-mind's tricks.       

Regards,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1858 on: June 04, 2012, 08:45:52 AM »
Dear Devotees,

How Atma-vichara, as taught by Sri Bhagwan, is different from the traditional meditation of the path of Jnana, such as, ‘I am Brahman’?
Sri Bhagwan teaches that to realise that we are the Self, we do not require any light other than the BEING-CONSCIOUSNESS, THE LIGHT OF THE SELF.   
Yes, the self that we seek to know is verily ourselves. But knowing the Self is being the Self. Here knowing is being and being means existence, one’s own existence. We cannot deny our existence any more than one denies one’s eyes, although one cannot see them.

Sri Muruganar sings:
Since reality shines radiantly within you as the self, only that Self deserves to be known by you. For  enquiry into your real nature as it actually is in the Heart, the infallible guide is the true light of the Self [‘I am’]that cannot be rejected.
                                               V. 759. GVK, Edited by Sri D. Godman

Therefore, it is the feeling of existence-consciousness ‘I am’ which alone is to be held. Then only mind can see itself through itself. I REITERATE THAT ON THE DIRECT PATH, HOLDING ANY FEELING OR THOUGHT OTHER THAN BEING-CONSCIOUSNESS ‘I AM’, SUCH AS ‘I AM BRAHMAN’ IS A DIVERSION. There is no room for any doubt about that.
Self does not say, ‘I am the Self’. Self is Pure Being-Consciousness. Holding again and again this feeling with effort is the practice. When effortless, one is not one, but then there is only all pervading Being-Consciousness.

Thank you,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1859 on: June 04, 2012, 09:05:49 AM »
Yes, dear devotees, on the Path of Atma-vichara, even the thought or bhava that one is Brahman or one is Self is not at all to be allowed. When such thought comes, understanding that it is nothing but  a mere concept, one should then and there reject it and bring back the attention to this feeling of existence-consciousness ‘I am’, and  ‘I am’ alone and dwell upon only and only upon it. This and this alone is the Path of Atma-vichara as revealed by Sri Bhagwan. AND NOTHING ELSE IS.

Thank you,
  Anil