Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 758888 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #1830 on: May 31, 2012, 08:42:14 PM »
Quote from Sri Udai:
“Anil,
may be better ways to make memory go also exist: ex : surgical approach [reminds me of skin peeling again]

Actually I do not know how unwavering Self Attention can do it ... i am still waiting , i have been thus since 2007 atleast. initially wavering ... now not much wavering. memory did not go!

On the contrary it seems to allow me to remember more.”

Dear Sri Udai,

This is a spiritual forum where only spiritual treatment is supposed to be ministered.

Dear Sri Udai, that only means that Self-attention is not being practiced properly and unwaveringly and with complete faith in its efficacy, if one is, at the same time, trying to remember a verse of the Upadesa Saram. Sure, Self-attention, if practiced properly and as taught by Sri Bhagwan, can take one to Goal. There is no doubt whatever about that. Countless are the devotees who are the testimony.

Thank you,
  Anil

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: May 31, 2012, 09:02:28 PM »
Anil/Friends,
Here is an excerpt from The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna:
Secret of divine communion
The Master explained to the devotees the secret of communion with God.
MASTER: "With the realization of Satchidananda one goes into samadhi. Then duties drop
away. Suppose I have been talking about the ostad and he arrives. What need is there of
talking about him then?
How long does the bee buzz around? So long as it isn't sitting on a
flower. But it will not do for the sadhaka to renounce duties. He should perform his duties,
such as worship, japa, meditation, prayer, and pilgrimage.
"If you see someone engaged in reasoning even after he has realized God, you may liken
him to a bee, which also buzzes a little even while sipping honey from a flower."
The Master was highly pleased with the ostad's music. He said to the musician, "There is a
special manifestation of God's power in a man who has any outstanding gift, such as
proficiency in music."
MUSICIAN: "Sir, what is the way to realize God?"
MASTER: "Bhakti is the one essential thing. To be sure, God exists in all beings. Who,
then, is a devotee? He whose mind dwells on God. But this is not possible as long as one
has egotism and vanity. The water of God's grace cannot collect on the high mound of
egotism. It runs down. I am a mere machine
Master's respect for other faiths
(To Kedar and the other devotees) "God can be realized through all paths. All religions are
true. The important thing is to reach the roof. You can reach it by stone stairs or by wooden
stairs or by bamboo steps or by a rope. You can also climb up by a bamboo pole.
Many names of one God
"You may say that there are many errors and superstitions in another religion. I should
reply: Suppose there are. Every religion has errors. Everyone thinks that his watch alone
gives the correct time. It is enough to have yearning for God. It is enough to love Him and
feel attracted to Him: Don't you know that God is the Inner Guide? He sees the longing of
our heart and the yearning of our soul. Suppose a man has several sons. The older boys
address him distinctly as 'Baba' or 'Papa', but the babies can at best call him 'Ba' or 'Pa'.
Now, will the father be angry with those who address him in this indistinct way? The father
knows that they too are calling him, only they cannot pronounce his name well. All
children are the same to the father
. Likewise, the devotees call on God alone, though by
different names. They call on one Person only. God is one, but His names are many."

Namaskar

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: June 01, 2012, 01:37:06 AM »
yes udai garu is correct, there is no need to forget everything and this will be misinterpretation of bhagavan's teachings if anyone things this infact is our final goal..

its very simple...  i give preference to how bhagavan had lived rather than following/discussing his teachings like a parrot which he would have probably told according to the maturity of the questioner..

Did bhagavan forgot anything ever in his lifetime ?

Where does it lead to simply talk of few bhagavan's works again and again and still don't think for a while whether bhagavan really lived with that particular teaching or not?

If sri bhagavan did not implement a particular teaching which we are discussing then i simply ignore it and suggest the same.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: June 01, 2012, 06:17:13 AM »
Anil/Friends,
What Sri Muruganar has meant is something like this:
An excerpt from Kanchi Mahaswami's talks:
"There is a passage in the Brhadaranyaka Upanisad similar to that in the
Gita: "He who becomes aware of the nature of the Atman - for him the
Vedas will no longer be Vedas, the gods will cease to be gods, Brahmins
will no longer be, Brahmins. . . . . . . ".(I remember that it also says that one' mother is not mother ,one's father is not father,etc-Ravi)

Here is an excerpt from The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna:
"After the realization of God, how far below lie the Vedas, the Vedanta, the Purana, the
Tantra
! (To Hazra) I cannot utter the word 'Om' in samadhi. Why is that? I cannot say 'Om'
unless I come down very far from the state of samadhi."

Everything gets dropped!

It is always better to quote from the Masters ,so that even if it is parroting(poor parrot!),the listener or reader(not the one who studies)will be able to get the import and be inspired.

Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: June 01, 2012, 06:37:30 AM »
Anil,
Wonderful to see your devotion to Sri Bhagavan.I will again go through your yesterday's post.Sometimes we are short of time and discussions and debates take time and one feels reluctant to revisit and establish Basics!
There is a difference between admiration and adoration.In admiration there is the 'wow 'factor as udai has said.His explanation falls flat when it is applied to what adoration is!
Adoration is when one discovers in oneself something profound and beautiful,long forgotten;this is invoked when we come across unexpectedly something like what you experienced or when we read(not study)the lives and teachings of The Great ones.I have discussed this David's Blog and when time permits ,I will share here.
All knowledge and study cannot measure up to an iota of adoration and self giving.
Wish you the very Best.
Namaskar.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: June 01, 2012, 07:25:30 AM »
oh no. not trying to remember .
but somehow ... after i come out it is still there !!

the moment i try to recall its coming to mind.

how to forget this upadesha saram ?

did Annamalai Swami / Sadhu OM or Muruganar forget upadesha saram through this ?

Dear Sri Udai and Sri Prashant,

Ji, Yes. This is not the appropriate understanding of Sri Bhaggwah’s Teaching and the cited Verse from the G.V.K. regarding ‘unlearning’. I appreciate Sri Ravi’s interpretation of the Verse under discussion.
 I do not understand why should one make effort to forget a Verse of the Upadesa Saram, or that I am  a human being ,etc. rather than focussing his entire mind on the Self-attention.  What is meant by Jnana? Does it mean an indolent state? Does a Realised One forget His Name, that He is a human being, belongs to such and such country, etc.? All these discussions notwithstanding, my dear Sri Udai, what is of utmost importance is the Sadhana, the Practice. If one is practicing Self-attention what is indeed of paramount importance is to keep the attention unwaveringly, steadfastly, to the best of one’s capacity, to the Core of one’s being. Moreover, this kind of attention (to the first person) is of the nature of being rather than of doing.   As current of Awareness is awakened and is stabilised by practice, it continues to hold even during activities.
WE MUST ALSO REMEMBER SRI BHAGWAN’S UTTERANCE IN THIS REGARD: JNANA IS NOT A STATE OF INDOLENCE.

Regard
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: June 01, 2012, 07:47:13 AM »
Quote from Sri Ravi:
“Adoration is when one discovers in oneself something profound and beautiful,long forgotten;this is invoked when we come across unexpectedly something like what you experienced or when we read(not study)the lives and teachings of The Great ones.I have discussed this David's Blog and when time permits ,I will share here.
All knowledge and study cannot measure up to an iota of adoration and self giving.
Wish you the very Best.
Namaskar.”

Dear Sri Ravi,

It was wonderful to go through the above quoted lines. ‘Adoration is when one discovers in oneself something profound and beautiful’. Ah! This is a very beautiful insight and discernment indeed. Dear Sri Ravi, your comment and insight are certainly very inspiring and are enriching the spiritual lives of the Forum members. Besides, they are of great help in one’s sadhana. Thank you very much, sir.

Regards,
  Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: June 01, 2012, 10:38:35 AM »
Dear Ravi,

How everything becomes very low when Self Realization takes place, is explained by the following story:

Once Sri Bhagavan and Kavyakanta Ganapati Muni were strolling on the Hill at night. Muni showed Sri Bhagavan the sky and
pointed out: This is Venus; this is Sirius' etc., Sri Bhagavan smiled and replied: Nayana!  I find all these stars and planets are
revolving around my waist!  Nayana became speechless!

thannai yaRithalinRip pinnai etharikilen
thannai yaRinthidiRpin ennai uLathaRiya...... (Atma Vidya Kirtanam - Verse 3)

Other than knowing the Self, one's own real form,
Of what avail, is knowing anything else?
If only the Self is known,
What else is there to know?

Arunachala Siva. 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: June 01, 2012, 11:23:48 AM »
Dear srkudai,

Sri Bhagavan encouraged devotees to read and chant Ribhu Gita. I am of the view that it is for them to know the Reality.
For Him, it may just be a song.  I shall tell you another funny story:

Once devotees were singing Satyamanagalam Venkataramana Iyer song Ramana Sadguru which is the last song in
Sri Ramana Sadguru Panchakam, written by Iyer in the very early years 1910-11 i.e. even before Sri Bhagavan composed
His own Sri Arunachala Stuti Panchakam.  In that song, there is a refrain - Ramana Sadguru Rayane! Ramana Saduguru
Rayane...!  While devotees were singing this, Sri Bhagavan also joined singing, Ramana Sadguru Rayane! Ramana Sadguru
Rayane!... The devotees bemused, asked Him: "Bhagavan! Are you also singing this?"  Sri Bhagavan replied: "Who is Ramana
Sadguru Rayan? He is Arunachala!"  There is no name for me.

The nameless formless Rishi is singing the namelesss formless Absolute, giving Him a name!

Saint Manikkavachagar says: For One who has not even a single name, let us sing a thousand names, and play!

(Tiruvachakam, Tiru theLLenam.)

Sri Bhagavan lost all name even while He was just 17. In the parting note in Madurai, Hid not even write His name at the end.
He just put a dash.  In the Commission of Inquiry later, after many many years, when the proceedings were noted by the
clerk and when he asked Him to put His name, Sri Bhagavan again put a dash!

Arunachala Siva.         

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: June 01, 2012, 11:28:28 AM »
Udai Garu

You are so right. I think all great men have allowed all kinds of circus go on in front of them. May be as Sri Bhagawan advised his old school mate Sri Rangan : "Let all the dance be over" (Aattam oyattum, oye) and then you will automatically surrender. And can anything ever exist in front of supreme surrender. Oh - That is an ecstacy in itself !!!

So let all the song and dance be over - and then you come to the roots and surrender... And realize no song or dance was ever required to get you there... but then there is no other way.

THis is like mandatory need to pass 10th standard before becoming an Engineer. You hardly use perhaps 10% of what you learnt in 10th, but you cannot do without it... In this case, it may be just 0% :)

-Sanjay.

Salutations to Bhagawan

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1840 on: June 01, 2012, 11:31:05 AM »
Dear srkudai, anil, Ravi,

Once on a Saraswati Puja day, in the Asramam, books were stacked on a table and puja was done and flowers were placed.
Sri Bhagavan was sitting as usual on His sofa. Muruganar came. He saw Sri Bhagavan and also the books. He composed a song:

Here I am seeing two. One is the idol made of sugarcane juice solidified and on the other side, I see the crushed sugar canes
stacked!

Unfortunately this poem is not available and is lost somewhere. But some devotees remembered the contents.

Sri Lalita Sahasranamam says: Om Chaitanya Swarupini!  Where is form (swarupam) for Chaitanyam?

Om Suddha Vidya Swarupini ! Where is form for suddha vidya.

It is all poetic pageant!

Arunachala Siva. 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: June 01, 2012, 11:37:50 AM »
Dear sanjaya ganesh,

Yes, Only deep and permanent Silence with inward looking mind alone is necessary. All else are only adornments for that Silence.

Again Manikkavachagar today!

TirupaLLi ezhucchi:

We sing songs, about you.  We dance to the tunes.  Otherwise we have not heard about anyone who Knows you (really)!

GeethangaL pAduthal Aduthal allAl, kettaRiyom unnai kaNdRrivarai.......

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: June 01, 2012, 02:06:27 PM »
Dear srkudai,

Sri Bhagavan was not making fun of reading Ribhu Gita. There are several beliefs in Hindu theology. People say 'reading Sundara Kandam
will give peace and reunion in the family, or the thing that has been lost will be found out..' etc.,  Though Sri Bhagavan had no
need for Ribhu Gita, He definitely felt that Ribhu Gita reading would help a person to understand  and realize Brahman. When you
read daily about Brahman and also chant I am Brahman..I am Brahman, it will facilitate the reader to understand Brahman and realize It
too. Scriptures have got their own power. But the rider is: One should read with bhava and then should have had chittsuddhi. 

Krishna is said to have true forms. One is Kala rupam. The Kala rupam, like any other living being will disappear one day. Atma rupam
or Chitanya rupam - has not form and is eternal.  Chaitanya has not form. To call Om Chaitanya rupine Namah - is a concession.
Mother Lalita Tripura Sundari is called Chaitanya rupinee, in that sense.  But Mother is eternal. Not like Krishna, the avatara or Rama,
the avatara. They have disappeared from the world since they were born as human beings in the world. But there is no birth or
death for Mother Lalita.

We are simply saying that  Paravti was born to Himavan and Meenakshi was born to Malayatvaja Pandyan etc.., in Puranas.

Siva and Sakti have no birth and death. One is Brahman and the other is Its manifesting power.

That is why Siva Lingam is called uruva-aruva rupam. There is no perceptible form in the cylindrical Lingam. At the same time
It has got a form of a cylinder. 

That is the reasons,  Puranas are recommended for people for bhakti marga, where such stories help them primarily in bhakti path.

Skandam says when Skanda fought Soorapadma and his brothers, when he was just 3 years old! 

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: June 01, 2012, 03:06:02 PM »
Dear srkudai,

1. About Ribhu Gita: It is for people in Jnana Marga and for those who have still not realized that I am Self.  for Self Realized
persons, why Ribhu Gita, no books are necessary. Saying I am Brahman with bhava only helps us jnana margis.

2. About mithya. Yes I agree. Siva is also mithya. Sri Bhagavan Himself confirms in Who am I? What is real is only Swarupam.
The world, the jiva and Isvara are all mithyas like silver in the oyster shell.

Why then there are so many Siva temples and Narayana temples. Temples are built only to develop bhakti marga. An ardent Jnana margi
need not go to temples. I repeat he need not go to temples. Because the Self is within and not outside.

One Sivavakyar, a Siddhar sang: "In search of the Jyoti which is in me, I ran here and there searching for that Jyoti". This Siddha
was a Jnani.

See as you may be knowing there are two satyas, vyavaharika and paramartika.  Both are true in their planes.

Why should one read Hanuman Chalisa? If one sincerely believes that Hanuman with Sri Rama, Lakshmana and Sita are in
Heart as Paramartika Satya, he should only contemplate within. No need to read Hanuman Chalisa. Is it not?

Hindu theology therefore prescribed four margas.

1. Karma Marga. One can start doing karmas, make it nishkamya karma in due course and can attain the Truth.

2. Bhakti Marga. One can treat the God outside and pray, do puja and namaskaram.

3. Yoga Marga. One can control his breath and stop the mind and contemplate the power within from Mooladhara and
with elaborate practice attain the Swarupam in Sahasrara. Then his prana will break the crown and go away to merge
in Akasa.

4. Jnana Marga. Atma Vichara.

Arunachala Siva.                       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: June 01, 2012, 04:05:32 PM »
Dear srkudai,

Sri Sankara has sung: My guru told me to say Sivoham, Sivoham.  I have not yet attained the state of Sivam. However,
since the guru has said: Say Sivoham, Sivoham... I shall say.

Arunachala Siva.