Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 756251 times)

Ravi.N

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #1815 on: May 31, 2012, 12:26:44 PM »
udai,
There is no question of 'Studying' here.We have already discussed the difference between Reading and Studying.It is like a prayer ,like you say Shuklam Bharadharam Vishnum and followed by Sankalpa-This prepares your mind to drop whatever it has been preocupied with and attend to the Spiritual Practice.This cannot be termed as equipping oneself intellectually.
No need to bring another 'Thorn' to remove a 'Thorn' for it may well become a second thorn stuck in the foot! :)
I am saying Practically!
Namaskar.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: May 31, 2012, 12:35:34 PM »
Dear Sri Udai,
    Pranam,

Ji. Yes. I read Sri Bhagwan's and His devotees' works--always. Have you heard of 'Mandar Hill' in Bihar? It is the Hill which is supposed to have been employed by gods for the purpose of 'samudra manthan' in the ancient times. Recently I had been posted there. One mornig, when I woke up and looked at the Sacred Hill, the whole Hill appeared to me as Bhagwan Sri Ramana. I knew that this was nothing but a mental vision created by the mind. Still I felt an indescribable happiness.

Dear Sri Udai, as for the theoretical and practcal stand-points about which you have mentioned, I simply wish to submit that I am not a learned person and therefore I neither have the knowledge not the will to argue thus.

Thank you so much, sir.

Regards,
  Anil

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: May 31, 2012, 12:48:59 PM »
Udai,
I tend to get a feeling that you are out of your depths here. :)
Intellect does not have a mood.
What we term loosely as mind can be covered differently under different terminologies.
Mood is more related to Feeling and this can hardly be attributed to the Intellect.
Yes whether we read Sri Ramakrishna or sri Bhagavan or Sri Aurobindo or Lord Jesus-The Bhava is the same if we have an attitude of the Disciple.
Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: May 31, 2012, 01:09:59 PM »
udai,
We can discuss provided we are open and receptive.Sticking to one's position although patently wrong is not a mature attitude.
Intellect can be clouded but not colored.Intellect only aids in determining, choosing or deciding.It does not get colored.It is the manas that gets colored.
Namaskar.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: May 31, 2012, 01:41:14 PM »
Dear srkudai.

I have a feeling that you on many occasions, tend to under-estimate others' views and their experiences in the Forum.

Anil saw the Mountain as Bhagavan Ramana. This can be a mental conception. But you should not forget his intense devotion
to Guru Ramana.

Sri Bhagavan also stressed the need of realizing the Self and not be carried away by the visions. But on many occesions,
He has stated in support of such visions or feelings. Because He knew each devotee's seriousness in the matter.

See for example in Talks No. 389:

Devotee: Is it possible to speak to Isvara as Sri Ramakrishna did?

Maharshi: When we can speak to each other why should we not speak to Isvara in the same way?

Devote: Then why does it not happen with us.

Maharshi: It requires PURITY AND STRENGTH OF MIND and practice of meditation.

..... Then Sri Bhagavan narrated the story of Namdev directed by Vithoba to meet a Saint in a distant Siva temple......

Sri Bhagavan finally said: The moral of the story is clear. VISIONS OF GOD HAVE THEIR PLACE BELOW THE PLANE OF SELF
REALIZATION.

Sri Bhagavan  also narrated the same view when  some devotee mentioned about St. Theresa seeing the animated
figure of Madonna.

Visions are not to be pooh poohed. Because some of them are true (but below the plane of Self Realization) depending
upon the bhava of the devotees.

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1820 on: May 31, 2012, 02:57:01 PM »
Dear srkudai,

You replied to Anil: What is wrong even if air touches you and consider it as Ramana?

What does it mean?  He honestly says that when he saw  Mandar Hill in Bihar, he saw the Hill as Bhagavan Ramana.
He says that with full bhava, faith and conviction. There is no hypocrisy in that. Instead of appreciating it or ignoring it,
you said: Even the air that touches you is Ramana. That way Self is everywhere.  At the same time, you cannot say that
Mandar Hill was seen by him with bhava.  This is what I wanted to highlight. So I quoted Sri Bhagavan's words that Visions
are also good but they are on a lower plane than Self Realization. In fact, He did not criticize the Kali image getting animated
when Sri Ramakrishna saw Her with bhava and conviction. So also with the case of St. Theresa seeing Madonna getting animated.

Arunachala Siva.       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: May 31, 2012, 03:52:38 PM »
Dear skrudai,

What you have said, it is only to belittle Anil's bhava. Your exact words and my words may be different.

Even Dr. Syed asked the same question to Sri Bhagavan:

Dr. Syed: I have been reading the Five Hymns. I find that the hymns are addressed to Arunachala by you. You are an
Advaitin. How do you then address God as a separate Being?

Maharshi: The devotee, God and the Hymns are all the Self.

Devotee: But you are addressing God. You are specifying this Arunachala Hill as God.

Maharshi: You can identify the Self with the body. Should not a devote identify the Self as Arunachala?

Devotee: If Arunachala be the Self why should it be specifically picked out among so many other hills? God is everywhere.
Why do you specify Him as Arunachala?

Maharshi: What has attracted you from Allahabad to this place? What has attracted all these people around?

Devotee: Sri Bhagavan.

Maharshi: How was I attracted here? By Arunachala. The Power cannot be denied. Again Arunachala is within and not without.
The Self is Arunachala.

There is one story in Periya Puranam. One devotee who had wrongly joined Jainism found it to be not taking him in any
progressive path.  He saw a stone. Simple cylindrical stone.  He has no flowers on hand. So he was throwing some small
pebbles with all bhava that these are flowers and Siva should accept it. Siva did accept it and took him to His Abode.

All are dependent on Bhava intense faith and act of doing a thing with a conviction.

This bhava even leads to Bhava Samadhi as in the case of Sri Ramakrishna.

One Siddhar who was lame and could not move about wrote:

Neerellam Ganga
Nilamellam  Kasi
Oorellam Thillai
Malaiyellam Arunagiri.

I can't move about. But I consider all waters are Ganga. All lands are Kasi. All towns are Thillai (Chidambaram). All hills are
Arunagiri.  He no doubt attained Self Realization.

Liviing in Bihar, if Anil considers that Manthar Hill as Sri Bhagavan, it is the bhava that counts. It will definitely take him further
in self inquiry, which is his only Sadhana.

Arunachala Siva.     

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: May 31, 2012, 04:02:32 PM »
Dear Sri Udai,

We all love you and do not want to lose you once again. I am afraid that you may once again leave us, like Sri Nagaraj did, after a long, energetic and emotional debate. We all are devotees here. Therefore, we all should discuss here in a spirit of love, devotion and surrender to the Supreme Lord.

Dear Sri Udai, you are an invaluable member of this great Forum, and so are Sri Subramanian Sir, Sri Ravi ji, Sri Nagaraj, Sri Prashant, Sri nonduel and others. Ours is a grand family of devotees. Do you know that I have learnt a great deal from you, Sri Subramanian Sir, Sri nonduel, Sri Prashant and others here? And now I am learning a great deal from Sri Ravi ji. I am certain that those who visit this great Forum have great hopes from you all.

Dear Sri Udai, Sri Bhagwan has Himself once said that Realised ones owe their Realisation to the ‘mahavakyas’. So, you should, at no point of time, allow a notion that we are against a study of the Revered Vedata. ON THE CONTRARY, WE WOULD, SURE, WELCOME A TOPIC ON THE MANDUKYA OR OTHER UPANISHADS STATRTED BY YOU. Why express the truth in an emotional way and get disappointed if others do not accept it? I am looking forward to have inspired posts from you pertaining to Vedanta Texts.

Thank you so much, sir.

Regards,
  Anil   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: May 31, 2012, 04:18:24 PM »
“Liviing in Bihar, if Anil considers that Manthar Hill as Sri Bhagavan, it is the bhava that counts. It will definitely take him further
in self inquiry, which is his only Sadhana.”

Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

Today I am not able to attend office on account of ‘Bharat Bandh’ and so have the time reading and posting my response. However, when I read your above quoted lines, I sobbed and wept and couldn’t find words to express my response coherently. I am ever grateful to you. Thank you so much sir. Regards, Anil

Dear Sri Udai, no, emphatic no. I love you. Thank you so much, sir. Regards, Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: May 31, 2012, 06:46:38 PM »
Through your great love of learning you may, with great enthusiasm, learn the jnana scriptures, thinking, ‘These books, which are the basis for attaining the clarity of immaculate jnana, are certainly worth knowing’. However, when you later attain maturity and attempt to sink into the source, you will definitely have to forget completely the scriptural knowledge which, with great effort, you previously learned and mastered.
          V. 147, G.V.K., Edited by Sri D. Godman

Dear Devotees, effort to sink into the Source, which is Pure Awareness, demands invariably that everything that has been learnt as knowledge has to be completely forgotten as ignorance. By the clause, ‘when you later attain the maturity’, the Great Poet, in my view, means that the purpose of the scripture is to indicate the Truth which abides as the Self within and the way and the means to It. In other words, the purpose of the Scripture is to internalise the mind. Having achieved this, the purpose of the Scripture is done, for merging into the Source demands that everything learnt so far have to be forgotten as ignorance.

Thank you,
  Anil       

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1825 on: May 31, 2012, 07:03:23 PM »
Dear Sri Udai, Ji.'Yes. Thank you so much. Regards, Anil

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: May 31, 2012, 07:11:43 PM »
Anil,
This is how Sri Ramakrishna describes this:
"Illusoriness of "I"
"If one analyses oneself, one doesn't find any such thing as 'I'. Take an onion, for instance.
First of all you peel off the red outer skin; then you find thick white skins. Peel these off
one after the other, and you won't find anything inside.
"In that state a man no longer finds the existence of his ego. And who is there left to seek
it? Who can describe how he feels in that state-in his own Pure Consciousness-about the
real nature of Brahman? Once a salt doll went to measure the depth of the ocean. No sooner
was it in the water than it melted. Now who was to tell the depth
?
Sign of Perfect Knowledge
"There is a sign of Perfect Knowledge. Man becomes silent when It is attained. Then the 'I',
which may be likened to the salt doll, melts in the Ocean of Existence-Knowledge-Bliss
Absolute and becomes one with It. Not the slightest trace of distinction is left.
"As long as his self-analysis is not complete, man argues with much ado. But he becomes
silent when he completes it. When the empty pitcher has been filled with water, when the
water inside the pitcher becomes one with the water of the lake outside, no more sound is
heard. Sound comes from the pitcher as long as the pitcher is not filled with water."

Anil,have you heard about Sri Sadasiva Brahmendra?

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: May 31, 2012, 07:18:57 PM »
Dear Sri Ravi,

This is a very beautiful post. Bhagwan Sri Ramkrishna Paramhansa's teaching through sublime parables is unparalled.

Thank you very much, sir.

Regards,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: May 31, 2012, 07:27:03 PM »
Quote From Sri Udai:

"Right now. I have been trying to forget the first verse of upadesha saram: kartur agyaya...but not able to!"

Dear Sri Udai,

It sounds akin to asking a patient to take medicines without remembering a monkey. Can the patient ever take the medicine? You talked about a proper method. For instance, Eka chintanam or the unwavering Self-attention, as taught by Sri Bhagwan, are, in my view, two such proper methods.

Thank you so much.

Regards,
  Anil 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: May 31, 2012, 07:32:40 PM »
Dear Ravi,

The salt doll trying to measure up the ocean, was mentioned by Maurice Frydman to Sri Bhagavan.

Sri Bhagavan gives the example of rivers merging into the ocean after running here and there.

He also says: I have come to eat you. But you have consumed me!  (Sri AAMM).

All Brahma Jnanis give the same upadesa.

Arunachala Siva.