Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 755704 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #1800 on: May 28, 2012, 03:47:14 PM »
The meditation ‘I am not the body or the mind, I am the immanent Self’ is a great AID for as long as one is not able to do Self-enquiry properly or constantly.
Sri Bhagwan said, “Keeping the mind in the Heart is Self-enquiry”.  If you cannot do this by asking, ‘Who am I?’ or by taking the ‘I’-thought back to its source, then meditation on the awareness ‘I am the all-pervasive Self’ is a great aid.
                 Sri Annamalai Swami, Living by the Words of Bhagwan

Sri Annamalai Swami mentions that Sri Bhagwan sat with them every day while they chanted extracts from the Ribhu Gita which affirm the reality of the Self.
Sri Swami: It is true that He (Sri Bhagwan) said that these repetitions are only an aid to Self-enquiry, but they are very powerful aid. 

Thank you,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: May 28, 2012, 08:26:45 PM »
One sole awareness, Lord supreme,
Silent sky, the Vedas’ import,
That you are ,O Venkata!
Yet, to utter without speech the blissful
Secret of their being That.
   V. 1165, Sri Ramana Sannidhi Murai

Dear Devotees,

Sri Muruganar says, “When, from within the dark room of ignorance, the jiva enquires into and comes to know the Self, the Atma-swarupa, he will be the one who, sinking into Siva-consciousness, has subsided in the mauna that arises as his real nature.”

When the immaculate grace-mother illumines his swarupa, the jiva who remained in the chamber of darkness will sink in Siva-consciousness [Siva-bodha], the splendour of reality, and subside in the mauna that arises as his own real nature.
                             V. 1196, G.V.K., Edited by Sri David Godman

Thank you,
   Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: May 29, 2012, 08:10:44 AM »
Bhagwan Sri Ramana says that, without an enquiry as to the intended meaning of the term ‘That’, in the sentence (That thou art), one should make a Quest of the Truth of the Real Self, who is indicated by the term ‘Thou’.
                               V. 501, Sri Ramanaparavidyopanishad

Dear Devotees,

Sri K.L. Sarma states that it has been assumed by the traditional school of Advaita Vedanta that this Sentence (Thou art That) conveys an injunction to meditate on the teaching. But, actually, as Sri Bhagwan says that the SENTENCE STATES ONLY A FACT. THE ACCEPTANCE OF IT IS NOT ENOUGH. AND MEDITATION IS NO BETTER. Therefore, what is needed is to verify the fact by reaching and remaining in the Mind-free State, called also the Natural State.

Sri Bhagwan says that in the Mahavakya ‘Thou art That’, ‘Thou’ is directly experienced, but leaving it out we go on seeking ‘That’! ‘Thou is the inner Self immanent in all.’ But in order to find ‘Thou’, our very being, we leave out ourselves and see the world objectively.

Sri Bhagwan says that firm abidance in the experience of the Self, Atma-swarupa, alone is described in the Upanishads by such terms as ‘the import of the Mahavakyas’, ‘Supreme Silence’, ‘Being Still’, Realisation of one’s true nature, etc.

Thank you,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: May 29, 2012, 06:35:15 PM »
Sri Bhagwan : Before people come here, each one of them has the most sincere desire to work for his own liberation; but when they settle down here, their egos go to their heads and they forget why they came. They imagine they are doing me a great service by feeding me. They think altogether too much of themselves. The feeling of self-importance that they have when they serve their Guru destroys their hope of enlightenment. Only humility can destroy the ego. The ego keeps you far away from God. The door to God is open, but the lintel is very low. To enter one has to bend. Are you doing me a greater service than the man who was for years my shadow? What was the good of it? The same man went to court against me and got me cross-examined! EVEN IF A TRACE OF EGO IS LEFT IN THE MIND, IT WILL RAPIDLY INCREASE AND RUIN YOU SPIRITUALLY.
                         Part Three, P.252,  Power of the Presence

Dear Devotees,

By ‘my shadow’,Sri Bhagwan is referring to Sri Perumal Swami who was His attendant at Skandashramam. Sri Swami is said to have started a case against Him!

Such is the ego-ghost that even some of those devotees who lived   in perennial ‘Satsanga’ with Sri Bhagwan destroyed their hope of Enlightenment on account of feeling of self-importance. Even a trace of ego left in the mind is dangerous for it rapidly increases and ruins the spirituality.
Dear devotes, it is for this reason that Sri Bhagwan has taught us:
“Absorption is of two sorts:
Submergence and destruction.
MIND SUBMERGED RISES AGAIN;
DEAD, IT REVIVES NO MORE.”
           V. 13, Upadesha Saram

Thank you,
  Anil                           

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: May 30, 2012, 08:25:10 AM »
Dear Devotees,

Sri Bhagwan has taught that ‘I’ is eternally the same and is never new. There is only ‘I’. There is no ‘you’. For Sri Bhagwan says that each one though addressed as ‘you’, styles himself as ‘I’. The confirmation of the existence of ‘you’ is always and only from ‘I’. Therefore, the existence of anything ‘other’ is inferred only when the existence of the Self ‘I’ is posited first.

Now, how do I know the existence?
By my senses.
‘My senses’ imply that ‘I’ must exist to talk about ‘my senses’. THERE CANNOT BE ‘MY’ WITHOUT ‘I’ EXISTING FIRST.
At first when one hears discussion about existence, one thinks, rather ordinarily, that I exist, he exists, you exist, this exists, others exist. What of that?  What is so special about existence?

Dear devotees, it is rather strange that we are not able to understand that existence of anything presupposed out existence first. THE EXISTENCE OF ANYTHING POSITED, SHOWS OUR OWN EXISTENCE FIRST. And that Existence is eternal and we are aware of It as the Self-consciousness. AS EXISTENCE-CONSCIOUSNESS ‘I AM’. Everything proceeds from the Self alone and the Self is their finality as well. There is nothing new. The only thing is we are not familiar. There is one consciousness and that is the Self-consciousness engulfing the entire universe and beyond in its splendour.

Thank you
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: May 30, 2012, 07:58:48 PM »
Dear Devotees,

Sri Bhagwan says that a spark proceeds from the Absolute Self as from fire. This spark is called the ego. In the state of ignorance, it identifies itself with an object simultaneously with its rise. Sri Bhagwan says that the ego cannot remain without such association with the objects. This association with the objects is what is called ajnana or ignorance. Objective of all our efforts therefore is only the destruction of this very association. This is what is also called suttarivu or the objective consciousness. If the objectifying tendency of the ego is destroyed, it remains pure and also merges into the Source. The dehatmabudhi or the ‘I am the body’ idea is the identification of the Swarupa or the Self with the body. Sri Bhagwan says that this must go before good results follow.
Vichara, as taught by Sri Bhagwan, is an infallible means to do away with dehatmabudhi for once and all.

Thank you,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: May 31, 2012, 08:20:40 AM »
Dear Devotees,

Traditional Adavaitic meditaion, such as ‘I am the Self’ or ‘I am Brahman’ is not the same as the Self-enquiry or the Atma-vichara, as taught by Sri Bhagwan. There is no doubt whatever about that.
It is well known among the devotees that Sri Bhagwan, in fact, has criticised this approach, saying that while the mind remained occupied with this mental solution, such as ‘I am the Self or I am Brahman’ to ‘Who am I?’ question, IT WOULD NEVER SINK  INTO ITS SOURCE AND DISAPPEAR.

Dear devotees, Sri Bhagwan has taught that there is no answer to the ‘Who am I?’ question. There can be no answer for it, for Vichara, as taught by Sri Bhagwan, is dissolving the ‘I’-thought, which is the root of all thoughts, and piercing beyond to the stillness where thought is not.
“Suggestive replies to the enquiry, such as ‘Sivoham or I am Shiva’ are not to be given to the mind during the meditation. THE TRUE ANSWER WILL COME OF ITSELF. NO ANSWER THE EGO CAN GIVECAN BE RIGHT.”
Dear devotees, Sri Bhawan has taught that answer is the awakening current of AWARENESS, vibrating as the very essence of one’s being which is impersonal. By constant practice this becomes continuous, not only during Enquiry but underlies all our speech and action also. EVEN THEN VICHARA STILL CONTINUES, ELSE THE EGO WILL TRY TO MAKE A TRUCE WITH THAT CURRENT OF AWARENESS.   

Therefore, dear devotees, these affirmations, such as, ‘I am the Self’ or ‘I am Brahman’, or for that matter any auto-suggestion MAY BE OF HELP TO THOSE WHO FOLLOW OTHER METHODS, BUT NOT IN THIS METHOD OF SELF-ENQUIRY OR THE ATMA-VICHARA.

If we pursue Enquiry or the Vichara, as taught by Sri Bhagwan, diligently and steadfastly, one should have total faith that the REPLY would come.
WHY FORESTALL THE ENQUIRY BEFORHAND BY SUCH AFFIERMATION AS ‘I AMTHE SELF’, ETC, THEN?

Thank you,
  Anil

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: May 31, 2012, 08:27:53 AM »
Anil,
"WHY FORESTALL THE ENQUIRY BEFORHAND BY SUCH AFFIERMATION AS ‘I AMTHE SELF’, ETC, THEN?"
Wonderful post!Truly there is no contradiction in all approaches provided the mind is open and receptive and selective when necessary!
Namaskar.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: May 31, 2012, 11:18:41 AM »

Who am I? - Atma vichara is only to find out the anatma and clean them up. If the room is cluttered, do not go in search of
space. Remove the cluttering and the room becomes big enough. 

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: May 31, 2012, 11:34:42 AM »
Dear Sri Ravi,

Thank you very much, sir. Ji. Yes. I appreciate very much your comment that if the mind is open and receptive, all approaches are valid and there is no contradiction, for there is essential unity in all the approaches.

Regards,
  Anil   

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: May 31, 2012, 11:40:20 AM »
Friends,
Self-enquiry is tracing the 'I' sense(that each and everyone is familiar with) back to its source like the dog following the scent of the Master.No intellectual preparation  is necessary.The 'Directness' of the approach lies precisely in this.
Referring to talks or any other words of Sri Bhagavan is of no avail.One must go to Sri Bhagavan's own writing in Tamil of 'nAn yAr' or the next best is its translation.
Namaskar.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: May 31, 2012, 11:44:43 AM »
Dear Devotees,

I just wished to point out that Sri Bhagwan’s Teaching of Atma-vichara does not allow room for replacing one thought with the other thought. TO REPLACE THE THOUGHT ‘I AM THE BODY, JIVAS OR NON-SELF BY NOW THE THOUGHT ‘I AM BRAHMAN.’ As I mentioned in my previous post, meditations such as ‘I am the Self or I am the Brahman’ may be of help in other methods or paths. Enquiry, as taught by Sri Bhagwan, is that in which no thought is to be allowed except the thought ‘Who am I?’ and too is finally meant to be consumed in the Fire of Knowledge as the stirring stick is consumed by the funeral pyre.

Q. When I think ‘Who am I?’, the answer comes ‘I am not this mortal body but I am chaitanya, atma or parmatma.’

Sri Bhagwan : To enquire ‘Who am I?’ really means trying to find out the source of the ego or the ‘I’-thought. You are not to think of other thoughts, such as ‘I am not this body, etc.’ Seeking the source of ‘I’ serves as a means of getting rid of all other thoughts. WE SHOULD NOT GIVE SCOPE TO OTHER THOUGHTS, SUCH AS YOU MENTION, BUT MUST KEEP THE ATTENTION FIXED ON FINDING OUT THE SOURCE OF THE ‘I’-THOUGHT, BY ASKING TO WHOM THE THOUGHT ARISES.
                                                                                         p. 78, Day by Day with Bhagwan

Therefore, dear devotees, it is not necessary for sincere devotees of Sri Bhagwan to name before-hand the feeling ‘I’ as either ego or as the Self. FOR ARE THERE TWO PERSONS IN THE ASPIRANT, THE EGO AND THE SELF?

Yes, Summa Iru or ‘Just Be’ is the essence of Vichara, as taught by Sri Bhagwan. But then that means that all we have to practice is to be still with the remembrance of ‘I’-feeling. That means that it is sufficient if one clings to the ‘I’-feeling or ‘I am’ness uninterruptedly till the very end. THIS IS, IN MY VIEW, WHAT IS MEANT BY SELF-ATTENTION, AS TAUGHT BY SRI BHAGWAN. Once a devotee or a seeker learns intellectually the truth from the Guru, all then that is required is to practice as taught by Him.

Thank you,
  Anil     

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: May 31, 2012, 11:56:38 AM »
Dear Sri Ravi,

Ji. Yes. Very nice and relevant to the discussion. Your comments are always apt and to the point. Ji. Yes, 'nAn yAr' is indispensable to the seekers of truth all over the world and particularly for those who are pursuing the Path of Atma-vichara, as taught by Sri Bhagwan.

I also wish to add here that your posts are often very inspiring.

Regards,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: May 31, 2012, 12:09:40 PM »
Dear Devotees,

There have been many devotees of Sri Bhagwan, like Sri Mastan Swami, who were not literate at all, and yet they practiced 'Summa Iru' and succeeded.

Thank oyu,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: May 31, 2012, 12:12:46 PM »
YES, A PERSON LIKE ME NEEDED SRI BHAGWAN'S GRACE AND WORDS TO COMMENCE ON THE PATH OF VICHARA AND SURRENDER, AS TAUGHT BY HIM
 Anil