Author Topic: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough  (Read 756749 times)

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Re: Self-enquiry as taught by Sri Bhagwan is enough
« Reply #1725 on: May 21, 2012, 08:12:59 AM »
Dear i,

once the seer is known, there is no more a necessity to eliminate Drisya (seen)

“Of these two: the seer and the seen,
It is the seer who really exists.
What is seen, though perceivable,
Has no reality.”

When He sees Himself,
It is as though He did not see;
And, even without seeing Himself,
He goes on seeing Himself.

Here, speech is prohibited;
Knowledge is not allowed.
Pride of experience can gain no entry.

Because of His desire to see Himself,
He manifests all the various states of being
Without affecting His own state.

the Self loses itself, in order to rediscover itself, the Self manifests as Drisya in order to see the Drick, seer.

In all these, the Self is never under cover. The Self ever 'knows', it Self, without any medium of 'knowing'

Prostrations to Bhagavan
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: May 21, 2012, 09:40:53 AM »
Dear Nagaraj,

Yes. The Self is all pervading. Once the inquirer sees the Self and abides in It, then all drishya padharthas appear as Self only.
So effectively there is no drishya padartha for the Seer.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: May 21, 2012, 03:02:53 PM »
Born of form, rooted in forms,
Living on forms, ever changing its forms,
Itself formless, flitting when questioned
Such is the ego-ghost.

V. 27, Sat-Darshanam

Like an onion, the ego-appearance is an unreal thing that consists of a combination of many tattvas. When enquired into, it will be found to have no swarupa.
                                                                                             Padamalai

The state of existing as a jiva, which makes its living by changing its form endlessly , is one of extreme shame.
                                                                                            Padamalai

Dear Devotees,
When we go on peeling away the layers of an onion, nothing is left. Sri Muruganar says that when enquired into, ego is found to have no swarupa.
Sri Bhagwan says in V. 25 and V.26 that what a wonder it is that the ego which is devoid of form comes into existence by grasping a form! Grasping a form it comes; grasping a from it endures; feeding upon forms which it grasps, it waxes more; leaving one form it grasps another; When sought for it takes to flight.
If ego comes into existence, all else will come into existence. If the ego does not exist, all else will not exist.
Sri Bhagwan says that verily therefore the ego is all! Hence, scrutinizing ‘What is it?’ is indeed giving up all.

Thank you,
   Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: May 21, 2012, 06:22:18 PM »
“Of these two: the seer and the seen,
It is the seer who really exists.
What is seen, though perceivable,
Has no reality.”

When He sees Himself,
It is as though He did not see;
And, even without seeing Himself,
He goes on seeing Himself.

Here, speech is prohibited;
Knowledge is not allowed.
Pride of experience can gain no entry.

Because of His desire to see Himself,
He manifests all the various states of being
Without affecting His own state

Dear Sri Nagaraj,

Ji. Yes. Very nice post. Thank you so much. Where from these beautiful lines have been cited ? Are these from Saint Sri Jnaneshwar’s Teaching?

Regards,
  Anil

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: May 21, 2012, 06:41:24 PM »
Dear i,

yes, these are the nectarine expressions of Saint Jnaneshwar's "Amritanubhava", it is said that he composed these at the age of 19 or so. He had already written Bhashya on Gita, which is considered by many as one of best commentaries on Gita, giving such insights never seen before.

Prostrations to Bhagavan
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: May 21, 2012, 06:47:17 PM »
Dear Nagaraj,

I have posted some verses of Jnaneswara's Amrutanubhava, a pure advaitic work sometime in the past.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: May 21, 2012, 07:03:54 PM »
Dear Sri Nagarj,

Ji. Yes. Thank you so much. These are indeed nectarine Uttarances of a Great Saint. In which language 'Amritanubhava' was origially composed? I think that it must be in Marathi. If so, is a good English translation available? If yes, how can I procure one for myself ?

Regards,
  Anil

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: May 21, 2012, 07:32:01 PM »
Dear i,

i am so very glad to share with you the detail:

There are many books available on Amritanubhava by various authors, but what i recommend is one from Sri S Abhayananda, who has truly rendered a flawless translation, which is not possible unless, he himself has had deep experiences of Atmanubhuti. i also a couple of other books on Amritanubhava, but, somehow they are not as crisp as this one.

i procured this book from the following website:

http://www.vedamsbooks.in/no21432/jnaneshvar-life-works-celebrated-thirteenth-century-indian-mysticpoet-s-abhayananda

I could also send you an e-book pdf copy, if you can share your email with me, or you could mail me at nagaraj.balas@gmail.com and i can respond back to you with the e-book.

About The Author/Translator

Swami Abhayananda was born Stan Trout in Indianapolis, Indiana on August 14, 1938. After service in the Navy, he settled in northern
California, where he pursued his studies in philosophy and literature. In June of 1966, he became acquainted with the philosophy of mysticism through the teachings of Sri Ramakrishna, and experienced a strong desire thereafter to realize God. Abandoning all other pursuits, he retired to a solitary life in a secluded cabin in the mountain forests near Santa Cruz, California; and, in November of that same year, was enlightened by the grace of God.

He spent four more years in his isolated cabin, and subsequently met Swami Muktananda, who visited Santa Cruz in 1970. Shortly thereafter, he joined Muktananda in India, at his ashram located not far from the region in which Jnaneshvar lived and wrote. His fascination with Jnaneshvar grew with his visit to the saint’s Samadhi shrine at Alandi; and in 1976, following an inspiration, he created his English translations of Amritanubhav, Haripatha, and Changadev Pasashti.

In 1978, he was initiated by his master into the ancient Order of sannyas; and was given the monastic name of Swami Abhayananda, a
Sanskrit name which means, “the bliss of fearlessness.” Since that time, Abhayananda has taught the philosophy of mysticism and the art of meditation in a number of major cities throughout the U.S. In 1981, he left Muktananda’s organization, and presently resides on the Treasure Coast of Florida, where he continues to teach, write, and publish his works on the knowledge of the Self.

Prostrations to Bhagavan
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: May 22, 2012, 07:08:17 AM »
Dear Sri Nagaraj,

I have sent you my e-mail address, I would really be grateful if you send me an e-copy of the Amritanubhava by Sri Abhayananda, Thank you so much for posting in brief such a fascinating life-story of the author.

Regards,
  Anil   

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1734 on: May 22, 2012, 08:32:46 AM »
Dear Sri Nagaraj,

I do not visit any spiritual site other than this great Forum. But I am so deeply moved by the Sublime Utterances of the Great Saint and the Sage, Sri Jnaneshwar, that I opened the above site, but could not locate the book ‘Amritanubhava’ by Sri Abhayananda. However, I gathered that many books can be purchased on-line on Sri Jnaneshawar’s Teaching from this site.
I hope that you would send me the pdf copy of the book by e-mail for which I have already sent you my address.

Thank you so much, sir.
Regards,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: May 22, 2012, 08:36:27 AM »
Devotee: Is it possible for all people to hold on to that path of Self-enquiry ?
Sri Bhagwan: It is true that it is possible for mature minds, not for immature minds. For the latter, repetition of a prayer or holy name under one’s breath [japa], worship of images, breath control [pranayama] visualising a pillar of light and similar yogic and spiritual and religious practices have been prescribed. BY THOSE PRACTICES, PEOPLE BECOME MATURE AND WILL THEN REALISE THE SELF THROUGH THE PATH OF SELF-ENQUIRY.
                                                                12th September, 1947,Letters from Sri Ramanasramam

Dear Devotees,

Sri Bhagwan says that the Enquiry is not the only way. If one does spiritual practice even with name and form, repetition of holy names or japa, or any of these methods with grim determination and perseverance, one realises THAT. Depending on the capacity of each aspirant only, one spiritual practice is said to be better than another and several shades and variations of then have been given. Sri Bhagwan gives a beautiful simile here. Some people are a long way from Tiruvannamalai, some are very near; some are in Tiruvannamalai, while some get into Bhagwan’s Hall itself. For those who come into the Hall, it is enough, if they are told as they step in, ‘Here is the Maharshi’, and they realise Him immediately. For others, however, they have to be told which route to take, which trains to catch, where to change, which road to turn into, and so on. Sri Bhagwan says that in the like manner, the particular path to be taken must be prescribed according to the capacity of the practiser.

However, it would not be out of place to reiterate here that all spiritual practices are not for knowing one’s Self, which is all pervading, One without a second, BUT ONLY FOR GETTING RID OF THE OBJECTS OF DESIRE. ONLY WHEN ALL THESE ARE DISCARDED, ONE TRULY REMAINS AS ONE IS, MERGED IN THE BLISS OF THE ATMA-SWARUPA.

Thank you,
    Anil

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: May 22, 2012, 08:38:39 AM »
Dear i,

i have sent you the e-book on Jnaneshwar. i hope you should have received it by now. Yes, truly, the utterances of the Great Saint Jnaneshwar is indeed very moving. So is his life story as well. They are a wonderful family, their parents passed away very early, His brothers Nivritti, Sopan and his sister Muktabai, so well complemented each other during their life time. Such wonderful love between them, so mych warmth for each other.

It is very interesting to note the story of their father Vittalpant, who wanted to take Sanyasa, but, destiny had different plans for him. The lives Vitalpant, his children and their family is indeed fascinating life indeed, they had to face so many ordeals, lose Brahmin-hood, and what not!

Prostrations once again to the entire Guru Parampara
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 08:40:17 AM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: May 22, 2012, 03:37:25 PM »
Dear Sri Nagaraj,

Ji. Yes. I have received an e-book from you. When I reach home, after office, I shall open it and certainly go through it. I am aware of the Love of Sri Jnaneshwar for His brothers and the sister Mukta Bai from a very old but poular Hindi movie 'Sant Jnaneshwar' which I saw when I had been an infant. The Hindi song from this movie, 'Jyoti se jyoti jagate chalo' is still very popular in this part of our country.   

Thank you so much, sir.

Regards,
  Anil

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: May 22, 2012, 03:39:34 PM »
Dear Devotees,

HOW AND WHY DO DESIRES ARISE?
 Because our present state is unbearable.

WHY THE PRESENT STATE IS UNBEARABLE?
Because the present state is not our true nature.

Sri Bhagwan says that had it been our real nature no desire would disturb us.
HOW DOES THE PRESENT STATE DIFFER FROM OUR REAL NATURE?
WE ARE, IN TRUTH, THE SPIRIT.
However, that Spirit is wrongly identifying with the insentient gross body with catastrophic consequences. Sri Bhagwan says that the body has been projected by the mind; the mind itself has originated from the Spirit. IF WRONG IDENTITY CEASES, DESIRE CANNOT  ASSAIL US AND THERE WILL BE PEACE AND PERMANENT UNTELLABLE BLISS.

Thank you,
   Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: May 22, 2012, 03:52:58 PM »
Dear Anil,

Once Kavyakanta Ganapati Muni told Sri Bhagavan:  If one could an assured income of Rs 3.00 (it was in 1930s), for minimum
food and other expenses, one can without worry do sadhana all the time.  Sri Bhagavan smilingly replied: Nayana! Why need
even that. It is enough if we have the body to do the sadhana all the time!

Once a Westerner asked: Do I leave all my possessions to attain the Self Realization?

Sri Bhagavan said: The possessor too!

If there is no ego, the desires would never arise. It is the ego that causes all desires, passions, anger, greed and jealousy!

Arunachala Siva.